Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clint Eastwood, 91, on aging: 'I don't look like I did at 20, so what?'

At 91, Clint Eastwood shows no signs of slowing down, either as an actor or a director.

With his latest film, Cry Macho — in which he does double duty as leading man and filmmaker — premiering this week, the Hollywood icon is reflecting on his legacy, and age, in a new interview with the Los Angeles Times.

“I don’t look like I did at 20, so what?” Eastwood says of life as a nonagenarian. “That just means there are more interesting guys you can play.”

That includes Mike Milo, an ex-rodeo star and horse breeder who is the main character in Cry Macho. Eastwood says the 1970s-set Western is a film that's been on his radar since 1988, when he was in his late 50s.

“I’m too young for this," he thought at the time. "Let me direct and we’ll get Robert Mitchum, an older dude.”

But the movie didn't come to life until now, with Eastwood taking on the role he'd once considered himself too young play to play.

“I always thought I’d go back and look at that. It was something I had to grow into,” he says. “One day, I just felt it was time to revisit it. It’s fun when something’s your age, when you don’t have to work at being older.”

Indeed, not trying too hard at acting — "I never thought of acting as an intellectual sport. You don’t want to overthink something," he says — suits him just fine. As for directing, a line of work he initially took on because "the whole point of directing was something you can do as an older guy," the Oscar winner says he carries on because "I just like it." But he admits that his age has given him pause.

“What the hell am I still working for in my 90s?" Eastwood, who recalls bagging groceries for 37 cents an hour as a youth, notes. "Are people going to start throwing tomatoes at you? I’ve gotten to the point where I wondered if that was enough, but not to the point where I decided it was. If you roll out a few turkeys, they’ll tell you soon enough.”

Elsewhere in the interview, the Unforgiven star opens up about fears he'd fall off his horse on set (he didn't) and how Cry Macho will stream on HBO Max and hit movie theaters simultaneously. Like many directors, he has a bone to pick about the latter situation.

"It's not my favorite thing in the world," he says. "How that’s going to work out at all? I still don’t know.”

The modern movie-watching experience may have changed _ particularly over the last year and a half — but Eastwood maintains that he has not.

“I never think about it,” Eastwood says. “If I’m not the same guy, I don’t want to know anything about it. I might not like the new guy. I might think, ‘What am I doing with this idiot?’"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2021 6:21 AM

[quote] Cry Macho will stream on HBO Max and hit movie theaters simultaneously. Like many directors, he has a bone to pick about the latter situation.

[quote] "It's not my favorite thing in the world," he says. "How that’s going to work out at all? I still don’t know.”

Sounds like the studios are trying to take advantage of an old man.

Oh, and he needs a better agent.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 7:48 AM

R1 He was compensated just like the filmmakers of every other 2021 WB release, including DUNE and The Matrix 4. Eastwood has nothing to complain about, he has a lifetime deal with WB and can make whatever movie he wants as long as its in a certain budget range. That's how he kept going during periods where he didn't sell tickets (late 80s, late 90s)

I think the wackier thing about this movie is all the digital facial smoothing. you can see it in the trailer. Weird stuff. Not sure it does him any favors

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 8:13 AM

1970, Financial District, San Francisco, standing behind a police barrier watching a barely-known but hot-looking Eastwood filming Dirty Harry. And then him coming over to the barrier after finishing the scene and talking to the gawkers for a few minutes. Magical times.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 8:29 AM

[quote] Eastwood has nothing to complain about, he has a lifetime deal with WB and can make whatever movie he wants as long as its in a certain budget range

How in the hell did he score that deal, R2?

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 8:33 AM

Cut or uncut though?

I know the question is probably 60 years too late.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 8:36 AM

[quote]With his latest film, Cry Macho

You're joking.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 8:38 AM

So much dirt will come out when this evil prick dies.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 8:48 AM

True, r7, and then a bunch of self-righteous Millennial online writers will defend him like they did Kirk Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 8:49 AM

The empty chair thing pretty much ruined Clint for me.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 9:38 AM

Yup, R9.

Fuck ALL right-wing Deplorables.

They can rot in hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 2:41 PM

Is his son Scott Eastwood a Republican, too?

That would make me so sad, because Scott is so hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 2:43 PM

His deranged, delusional politics and unwillingness to face what the modern Republican Party has become proves he's certainly slowed down.

He honestly believes Republicans are still an American party, which goes to show you he's lost his mind.

Also, he talks to empty chairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote]and then a bunch of self-righteous Millennial online writers will defend him like they did Kirk Douglas.

Why would anyone defend Kirk Douglas?

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 8:44 PM

He’s got a shit ton of kids from a shit ton of women. And that crazy Sandra Locke person. How many kids did he even end up with? Repub family values.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 10:40 PM

Sondra was a lovely person and a gay ally. She deserved better than Clint.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 10:45 PM

I saw the "Cry Macho" trailer and Clint sounds like an ancient old man. I wouldn't want to listen to that old-man voice for that long.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 11:17 PM

The aging rules are different for men.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 11:39 PM

R11- Very much so.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2021 11:48 PM

The son looks like a Hemsworth in R11's picture.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2021 11:51 PM

What's irritating about this dimwit conservative zombie is that he was a health food nut back in the day when it wasn't a thing and it obviously paid off. I hope to hell the Republicans don't catch wind of veganism or we're doomed. Seriously, Eastwood is so stupid and so healthy it's terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 12:08 AM

He’s always looked 91, so yes, he does look like he did at 20. Repulsive jackass

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 12:15 AM

"Cry Macho" is a shitty title, except for a John Waters movie, which this ain't.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote]1970, Financial District, San Francisco, standing behind a police barrier watching a barely-known but hot-looking Eastwood

Barely known? He was a TV star in Rawhide for seasons. By 1970, he starred in Hang 'Em High, A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, and Where Eagles Dare. He was very, very well known.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 1:11 AM

r2 Really?Surely that kind of deal is pretty rare if not unique?

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 1:37 AM

I don't get the Eastwood hate. Beyond a stupid chair stunt, he's no real conservative. I think he makes good movies for adults.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 6:20 PM

r4 im not sure its ever been reported to begin with. but it exists. its just a random oddity of life that WB never had to pay their way out of that deal and that Eastwood has worked 20 years longer than pretty much any actor or director. he films so quickly and cheaply that even when he went a few years without hits, his movies were still probably turning small profits w video

i'd guess the deal came in the 80s after VCRs. his catalogue probably was a huge chunk of all WB video sales. I thought maybe after Unforgiven but if you look at the several financial and critical bombs he had before that, Unforgiven probably would have never been made without a deal like that in place. The budget was only $14 mil

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2021 5:16 AM

Motorcycle juvenile delinquent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2021 6:03 AM

At least he isn’t a Trumptard.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2021 6:08 AM

[quote]He was a TV star in Rawhide for seasons. By 1970, he starred in Hang 'Em High, A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

R23 Eastwood didn't "make a name for himself" in either Rawhide or the spaghetti Westerns. He became "known" with the Dirty Harry films.

Just watched Cry Macho, which is available online for free streaming. Eastwood's timing/delivery is a bit slow/off, he's somewhat shakey on his feet, but even at 91, he can still tell a tale that's memorable. Worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2021 3:06 PM

Feb. 1961 cover of "TV Guide", ten years before "Dirty Harry".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2021 5:39 AM

Was he talking to his chair again, or is this real?

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2021 6:05 AM

[quote]'I don't look like I did at 20, so what?'

Are we gonna have this threesome or not?

'Cause I've got other offers.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2021 10:26 PM

Can't think of anyone who has aged that well. Haterz gonna hate and I'll still love him.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2021 10:31 PM

R30 The cover of TV Guide was for the up-and-comings to become known. Not for the known.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2021 11:35 AM

Didn't he say he was retiring from acting a number of years ago?

He was going to continue to direct but no more films after that film with Amy Adams. Regardless he was great in The Mule so I'm glad he still graces us with his presence every couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2021 12:01 PM

Looks like "Cry Macho" has been released straight to HBO Max

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2021 8:45 PM

No matter how much work he has done

He smells like old man

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2021 8:46 PM

Thanks for clarifying that, R34.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2021 9:43 PM

R38 From Clint at 90: How Dirty Harry sealed Eastwood’s superstardom, BFI, 29 May 2020:

"If the Dollars movies founded key tenets of what became the Eastwood brand – the poker face, action over dialogue, coolness under pressure, ruthless behaviour, aloofness, black humour, roguish charm – [bold]it’s Siegel’s edgy thriller (Dirty Harry) that turned the 6’4 ft Californian into a household name[/bold]."

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 8:15 AM

R39, that sounds right. Eastwood was already famous to film fans because of the spaghetti westerns, but that’s still a limited number of people. Dirty Harry—calling it “edgy” doesn’t begin to suggest how controversial it was—made him a first-tier star.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 4:03 PM

I was nine years old when the first Dirty Harry movie was shown at our local drive-in theater. I think you had to be twelve or thirteen to be "legal". I begged my sister and her boyfriend to go with them, so I hid in the trunk of his car until the movie started.

The movie was shocking, and Clint was so good.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 5:05 PM

And "Mame" finally turned Lucy into a household name...

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 9:08 PM

I tried to watch that Cry Macho the other night. He looks about 100. He’s so frail. They even give him a romance in it. He needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 9:12 PM

Other than perhaps Debralee Scott's nudity as the victim's corpse at the start of the film I doubt most people were shocked by the content. They were cheering.

This is the moment he became a superstar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote]And "Mame" finally turned Lucy into a household name...

R42 Lucy was a household name from TV. Eastwood became a household name from "Dirty Harry".

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2021 5:35 AM

[quote]And "Mame" finally turned Lucy into a household name...

R42 was clearly joking, R45. And Eastwood was a household name before "Dirty Harry."

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2021 6:12 AM

R36 It did get released at the cinema but completely failed. Most of Eastwoods fans are in the COVID danger age range. Home viewing really much safer for everybody regardless of age.

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2021 6:19 AM

Another year, another Clint Eastwood movie. You can count on Clint! If you want to. I guess someone wants to.

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2021 6:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!