Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Final Destination is a great horror movie

With a great premise, but I fucking hate Devon Sawa's character.

by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2023 5:22 PM

I like the unhinged lady teacher with survivor guilt.

If you have the original DVD of this movie, look for the actors' commentary. It's one of the best I've ever heard on a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 2:45 AM

Devon Sawa ended up being a pretty hot daddy.

Did not see that coming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 2:48 AM

They are all well done. The third film, the one that begins with a roller coaster accident, is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 2:49 AM

[quote]I like the unhinged lady teacher with survivor guilt.

Oh God, she was a mess. I love the way death got her.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 2:49 AM

I went to the theater and saw the first film a few days after returning from a college trip to Paris & London. So that was fun. I think the first one is the best of the group.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 3:00 AM

They're all on HBO Max. I've just started Final 5. It truly is a great concept.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 3:33 AM

Just started watching 3 again. The little sister kind of looks like a man.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 3:50 AM

Jeeze that roller coaster opening is scary.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 4:02 AM

I saw the first one in the theater too (can’t believe that was over twenty years ago!)

I remember this death scene in particular, which made everyone in the theater collectively jump out of their seats 😱. Twenty years later it’s been copied so much that it makes me roll my eyes whenever I see a character on tv or in a movie meet their demise in this same way…but back in 2000 it was a new and original visual effect, maybe the equivalent of the hand grabbing Amy Irving from the grave at the end of Carrie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 4:39 AM

You beat me to it r9. That was a shocking and very original death.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 4:42 AM

The main male lead in 3 was really cute.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 5:05 AM

Thanks r9. Whet to Kerr Smith?

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 5:08 AM

Each of the FD films had at least one hot guy…another reason I miss the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 5:09 AM

Exactly, R13. Each has a hot piece of ass. 4’s Bobby Campo is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 5:15 AM

5 seems a bit too cinematic/high-quality compared to the teen horror fun of the others. It looks like some kind of high-end thriller series.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2021 5:25 AM

The lead in 5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2021 5:33 AM

R11, Ryan Merriman was his name! Yeah he was pretty cute in the movie.

R16, oh man, thank you for that. Haven't seen 5 since theatres ten (!) years ago, but dayum...

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 6:50 AM

It sort of bugs me how all the students are so good looking. They board the plane and it looks like a fashion runway show. No fat kids, gawky kids etc at that school.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 6:52 AM

Jeff, the creator, is a good friend of mine and one of the nicest guys in the world.

For whatever that's worth.

(I hate horror and have never seen the film or any sequel.)

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 8:09 AM

[quote]Twenty years later it’s been copied so much that it makes me roll my eyes whenever I see a character on tv or in a movie meet their demise in this same way

You ain't kidding:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 8:24 AM

I just finished the 5th one. The ending twist is pretty good and I totally didn't see it coming. I wonder if they're going to make anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 1:44 PM

Loved the first one, especially the classic horror film names of some of the characters. Was very original and coming not so long after the TWA flight 800 incident, more than a little disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 3:28 PM

The death of the two girls in the tanning bed still haunts me. The most horrifying to watch in my opinion. But I have only seen the 3 first movies, not into terror movies at all.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 3:38 PM

Glad to see there are other fans. These movies have long been a guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 4:11 PM

The fifth one kind of gave me the sense of : "we're a big-deal franchise now, let's now take ourselves very seriously, and plug-in some of that high-end Twilight aesthetic" and cut down on the laughs by about 80%.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 4:18 PM

Number 6 is in pre-production but who knows if it will actually get made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 4:20 PM

This appears to be a Lithuanian remake but IMDB has it listed as a documentary 😆.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 4:51 PM

Horror is not my genre at all, but I saw the first one for some reason and that scene with the bus made me jump out of my seat.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 4:56 PM

Sean William Scott's character's death was laugh out loud funny. Somehow the obnoxious doofus was the best character of the movie

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 5:08 PM

Sean William Scott's character's death was laugh out loud funny. Somehow the obnoxious doofus was the best character of the movie

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 5:09 PM

Now whenever I see a TV or movie character standing or walking casually on a street, I find myself yelling at the screen “Get off the street! Get off the street!!!”

😁

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2021 5:13 PM

Love the series, but part 4 is fucking terrible. The rest are all pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2021 5:14 PM

R19, I used to see him almost every day I went to the Starbucks near Trader Joe's. He was always very nice and cute.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2021 5:17 PM

I don’t remember 4 being any worse (or better) than the others. What didn’t you like about it r32?

I do recall it had a very hot Nick Zano, in addition to the hot lead Bobby Campos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2021 5:19 PM

Way too Canadian.

Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2021 5:25 PM

Michael Landes was a very handsome and likable lead in the second film. I always thought he deserved a bigger career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote] It sort of bugs me how all the students are so good looking. They board the plane and it looks like a fashion runway show. No fat kids, gawky kids etc at that school.

I have absolutely no problem with this, especially for this particular genre. I watch horror movies for the cheap thrills and the hot guys!

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2021 5:30 PM

Man, I had a huuuuge crush on Bobby Campo in part 4 (that scene where he's in just his boxers!!). You can catch him in multiple Hallmark Christmas movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2021 5:40 PM

3 was the worst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2021 5:45 PM

3 is funny and trashy. I like it. 5 is morose and feels like a slog.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2021 5:47 PM

She just has Ewan's baby. She talked about it last night on The Late Late Show.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2021 5:48 PM

4 was just hard to root for anyone. Maybe it was the script or a less talented group of actors, but it felt a little boring to me.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2021 6:01 PM

I especially liked the mass casualty scene that opened each movie.

1 - airplane explosion

2 - highway crash pile up

3 - roller coaster accident

4 - race car stadium total fuckery

5 - bridge collapse

Of these scenes I personally found #2 to be the most effective, as it’s the one I could see myself in much more than the others. #4 was stupid fun but I can guarantee I’ll never attend a NASCAR event in this lifetime!

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2021 6:29 PM

The 2nd seems to be the one that most people remember and relate to. You always seem people posting memes about how scared they are whenever they're driving behind a log truck because of that movie.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote]Glad to see there are other fans. These movies have long been a guilty pleasure.

It's a guilty pleasure for me as well, especially seeing that it doesn't take itself seriously.

This is probably my favorite death; I laughed my ass off (and rewound several times -- don't judge me).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 12:20 AM

Can anyone recommend any other 'horror' series like this? Where it doesn't take itself too seriously, the gore is cheesy and fun?

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote]4’s Bobby Campo is my favourite.

For R14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 1:22 AM

[quote]Love the series, but part 4 is fucking terrible. The rest are all pretty good.

The Final Destination (also known as Final Destination 4) is the highest grossing instalment in the franchise so far, but it received the worst reviews(28% on RT).

Coincidently, it's also the only one not to feature an appearance by Tony Todd as mortician William Bludworth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 1:33 AM

One of the more memorable death scenes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 1:36 AM

At a party, a gay guy was telling me he sold his script to Hollywood and it’s making a movie of it. I rolled my eyes and assumed he was making it up.

Lo and behold, it was true and it was Final Destination!

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 1:42 AM

Whoops!

Let's try that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 1:44 AM

John Waters is a fan of the franchise and has said several times he'd like to be in one. He's even introduced the first film at festivals as one of his favorites. Actually, you can see a poster for his movie PECKER on the wall of Devon Sawa's bedroom in the first film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 2:10 AM

4 probably made the most money due to it being released in 3D. The ticket prices are more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 5:03 PM

The Tom Cruise-looking guy in 5 is really cute.

Watching now. They sucked out all the humor. The deaths are creative, however.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2021 5:32 AM

I saw it in the movie theaters. I remember the bus scene freaking everyone out!

The rest sucked they ran out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2021 5:37 AM

Now that I finished the FD series, do any of you have any recommendation for other good horror movies that are streaming?

by Anonymousreply 56September 25, 2021 3:54 PM

It really is an underrated film. I just watched it again last night and it holds up still.

One thing I don’t like is how cruel Ms. Lewton was to Alex.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2022 11:06 PM

This was one of few that got better each time. (R56) Saw, in reverse order.

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2022 11:22 PM

My ratings of best film to worst: 1, 5, 2, 3, 4

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2022 11:32 PM

Damn, R2

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2022 11:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2022 12:27 AM

r56, similar ones are The Faculty, 2005 The House of Wax (almost typed "Hose of Wax"), and I Know What You Did Last Summer. A more modern one would be Cabin in the Woods.

by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2022 1:14 AM

All produced by Super-Gay Craig Perry, who looks like the son of Merv Griffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 9, 2023 6:49 AM

The deaths are sometimes scary, like the bus death in the first one, but they felt they had to top them constantly and they get really stupid by the time of the one at r51 with the gymnast. It looks like Beavis or Butthead dreamed up that sequence.

by Anonymousreply 64April 9, 2023 7:08 AM

Ryan Murphy’s 911 steals from the Final Destination series…people in deadly situations that are outlandish and over the top.

by Anonymousreply 65April 9, 2023 7:15 AM

I just re-watched Final Destination 5.

by Anonymousreply 66April 9, 2023 7:32 AM

When it came out it was kind of good.

I don't think it's aged well though. It comes off as a bit campy nowadays. The actors show so little emotion at the massacre of their friends and acquaintances that its actually kind of hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 67April 9, 2023 7:32 AM

The biggest problem is the premise that Death not only has a master plan but is for some reason inept at carrying it out.

by Anonymousreply 68April 9, 2023 7:37 AM

I like all of them. They are the only CGI action films I will watch.

by Anonymousreply 69April 9, 2023 7:40 AM

I've only seen the first three, but I agree--they're great horror movies with an original premise. All three male leads in the original--Devon Sawa, Kerr Smith, and Seann William Scott--were total eye candy. I also liked Ali Larter quite a bit, though they killed her off in the second one. She kind of disappeared after doing "Heroes", aside from that ridiculous thriller she did with Beyonce and Idris Elba (and appearing in the subsequent "Resident Evil" films). I think she had kids and kind of took the pedal off the gas as far as her career went.

by Anonymousreply 70April 9, 2023 7:47 AM

We're all the death scenes were all very Rube Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 71April 9, 2023 12:37 PM

The lasik eye surgery scene in 3 is solely responsible for me still wearing glasses.

by Anonymousreply 72April 9, 2023 12:59 PM

The deaths in this franchise are like the flaming deaths from "The Towering Inferno," where Pauline Kael says "the film basically stops so the audience can say, 'Yummy, that's a good one!'"

The Friday the 13th deaths also became increasingly ridiculous in the same way:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 9, 2023 5:05 PM

I know r9's post was over a year and a half ago, but that scene really wasn't that original even then. Brad Pitt got killed off in the beginning of Meet Joe Black in the same way (actually a more hilariously choreographed version since he got hit by two cars). There must have been more before that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 9, 2023 5:15 PM

From Monty Pyton's Flying Circus: "Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days."

Clearly an inspiration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 9, 2023 5:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!