Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Norwegians, why do you eat so much taco?

#2 in taco consumption belongs to Norway. Apparently.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2021 7:02 PM

It's penance for the Vikings.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 1:12 AM

"Taco" is Språkstriden ("Norwegian") for "smoked rotten herring.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 1:12 AM

Uh, is "taco" some sort of slang for pussy in Norway?

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 1:18 AM

Beats lutefisk.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 1:37 AM

It's become a staple here. Fredagstaco (literally friday taco) is very popular. What's weird is we don't have any taco fast food chains. We have to make it ourselves with ingredients from the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 5:06 AM

But are they taco tacos?

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 5:09 AM

R6 What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 5:20 AM

Here is an article that explains why we love taco. Pics of how it's usually made too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 5:22 AM

How did anyone even come across this info?!

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 5:24 AM

I’ll make them fine Weegin boys my beef tacos every night of the week if they come correct (and paid).

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 5:28 AM

Huh? r10

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 5:40 AM

R8 Oh nice, some exposition article in NORWEGIAN.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 7:31 AM

R12 Use google translate if you want to read it.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 7:50 AM

But eating too much taco makes Norwegian people as fat as American fattards?

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 7:55 AM

R14 Taco is healthier than hambuger etc. Fried food is the worst. Norwegians eat very little fried food. So no... I don't think eating a lot of taco makes us fat, because you can make taco as healthy (or unhealthy) as you want.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2021 11:45 AM

What is a Norwegian's idea of a taco?

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2021 11:48 AM

Tjäko

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote]What is a Norwegian's idea of a taco?

I don't know about Norway, but the 'French taco' has little to do with mexican food (they even put French fries in them)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 11:57 AM

That looks disgusting R18.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 12:03 PM

Ugh r18 looks horrific!!

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 4:06 AM

R16 bitch there is nothing authentic about texmex bs street taco

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2021 1:46 AM

Mmmmmm tacos

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2021 1:53 AM

Mexicans are now the second largest population in Norway (CIA World Fact Book).

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2021 2:02 AM

I visited a friend in Oslo once and had tacos. Their version anyway. Their corn “tortillas” taste more like sweet cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2021 5:04 AM

Has anyone eaten this Taco?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2021 5:06 AM

R23 Stop vomiting lies, dear. It is unseemly.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2021 5:09 AM

Is the salsa like marinara?

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2021 5:11 AM

My then-partner and I lived in Amsterdam for a couple years in the mid-2000s, and to our surprise we were able to find ingredients for tacos (the American food shop there had genuine fake American taco seasoning). Our local supermarket had tortillas, which for some reason came from Sweden.

I used to think it was strange that there would be a tortilla factory in Sweden, but apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2021 5:24 AM

Some Google-translated excerpts from the article at R8:

There is no doubt that Norwegians love tacos. In addition to having its very own day of the week, tacos have almost become as big a part of the Norwegian people's soul as five miles, 17 May and the golden row. It has simply become our new national dish, even though kale still holds the official title. But how did we really get so hooked on tacos? The early days of tacos

To find the answer, we have to go back to 1965. At this time there was not much as a tacolefse to be traced in Norway, but in the western village of Stavanger something was about to happen. The exploration for oil in the North Sea was in full swing, and this meant that several oil workers from the USA had taken the trip over to the coastal city.

Most of the Americans who came to Norway were from Texas. Here, the taco had already become a well-established part of the home-cooked diet, and a dish that neither the Norwegian kale nor the fish balls could keep up with. The longing for tacos and other American products therefore immediately began to show up among the newly arrived Americans, and this gave the young merchant Allert Middelthon an idea.

In 1965, the then 16-year-old Middelthon worked in his father's shop in the center of Stavanger. After the Americans entered and a trip to London, Middelthon began to inquire with the wives of the oil workers about which products they missed most from their home country. The answer was crystal clear, and the store immediately began importing items such as cornflakes, Pampers diapers with perfume, canned soup, barbeque products and last but not least: tacos!

Then it just balled up. The taco was extremely well received, and Middelthon quickly began to sell the products on to other merchants in Oslo and Bærum, among other places. After 1968, tacos also received an international boost when Mexico hosted the Summer Olympics. Suddenly, a number of taco restaurants around the world appeared, and the success was a fact.

Here at home, more and more importers of taco products also appeared, which among other things led to the entry of a well-known and beloved popular favorite who still has a good foothold on store shelves - namely Old El Paso.

Old El Paso was originally a vegetable producer, which in the 1950s began to specialize in canned and dried Mexican food. When Old El Paso first came to Norway in 1973, however, it was taco shells, garbanzo beans, tostadas, tamales, enchiladas and taco sauce that were in focus, but as the years went by, more and more products appeared.

Over the years, tacos have developed a lot in Norway, and the product range is growing. We now have access to everything from authentic corn slices, exciting sauces and a selection of spices we previously could only dream of. Nevertheless, many of us still swear by a variant of the taco that was introduced in Stavanger in 1965, namely the tex-mex taco.

Tex-Mex is in many ways a child of love between the classic taco from Mexico and the influence from Texas. This is where many of the classic taco ingredients such as taco shells, grated cheese, taco spices with a taste of cumin and the canned corn come from. It is also within the tex-mex category that the well-known taco products from Old El Paso are mainly located, and which make up what many refer to as the "Norwegian" taco...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2021 6:49 AM

Rofl R12!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing.

As if anyone here can read Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2021 8:01 AM

I had a friend from Norway (he lived in US for a while). I do remember seeing him eat tacos (at home) and remember him squeezing some ketchup in it.

Apparently Norway has tons of natural resources and is a rich country but they don't care about food, according to this guy on Your Way to Norway. They eat really crappy stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2021 8:12 AM

Puttin’ on the Ritz…

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2021 8:12 AM

[R21] like you'd know what I eat, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote]We have to make it ourselves with ingredients from the supermarket.

OMG, the horror!

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2021 3:26 PM

Ketchup on a taco? Shoot him.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2021 3:28 PM

Taco On Me!

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2021 3:36 PM

Norwegians are DUMB.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2021 3:38 PM

But do they eat real tacos, or are these some kind of Norwegianized herring or loganberry tacos or the like? When I was in Denmark they were putting peas and corn on their pizza, as well as odder ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2021 3:43 PM

Are Norwegians dumber than the Swiss?

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2021 3:48 PM

Norway's main export is their natural resources (oil and gas).

Switzerland's main exports are chemical and pharmaceutical products, watches, and machinery.

I kind of envy these countries that don't get involved in wars and take care of their citizens (health care).

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2021 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!