Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYTimes: Can a man wear mules to work?

Answer: Of course he can! It's apparently all the rage.

I am all set to buy mine--which I hope will match my earrings and my caftans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 5:17 AM

(Not a word in here about plantar's fasciitis, btw, which I think would stop many men over 35 from wearing mules anywhere.)

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 12:53 AM

I will purchase mine from the Ivanka Trump Collection--they're maribou trimmed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 12:54 AM

I worked for a company that had a no open toe or open back shoes.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 12:56 AM

r3, the article says many offices have no-open-toe policies for men's shoes but do not have no-open-back policies.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 12:57 AM

You're going to summon the fucking Flip Flop Troll OP!

Seriously though, it's sort of funny that they show off photos of four very very gay men, none of whom are white and give the response any of us would have come up with

"If you're a salesbottom as a trendy boutique or a receptionist at a super trendy media company, then go for it. But if you're a lawyer at a big firm you'll forever be known as "the guy who wears slippers to work" and your career will reflect that.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote] Seriously though, it's sort of funny that they show off photos of four very very gay men, none of whom are white and give the response any of us would have come up with

Jian de Leon, the man in the fourth photo (and the men's fashion and editorial director at Nordstrom), does not identify as gay, and talks in the article about how much his girlfriend hates his mules.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote]Seriously though, it's sort of funny that they show off photos of four very very gay men, none of whom are white and give the response any of us would have come up with

Ahem...

[quote]…Jian DeLeon, the men’s fashion and editorial director at Nordstrom and the other Mule Boyz founder.

[…]

[quote]His girlfriend, he added, “hates” mules on men. He has more than 30 pairs.

But yeah, you're right, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 1:08 AM

Its called waving your freak flag.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote]Men’s heels — naked and socked — have never been so conspicuous.

Socked? No.

[quote]“I’m wearing Birkenstocks with my tux — the idea of high-low is everything,”

No.

[quote]Also worth remembering: get a pedicure (no one deserves to see cracked heels); invest in decent socks (mules with socks can look more nonchalant); and pair your shoes with wide-cut pants (“nothing skinny,” Mr. Takiguchi said) to match the relaxed overall vibe.

[quote]Flowing, full-length trousers toy with expectations because mules resemble a regular shoe from the front, “but there’s the surprise in the back,” said Loris Messina, a founder of Sunnei, speaking from Milan. Sunnei creates slip-ons with laces — like mutant sneakers and derbies — which heightens the playfulness.

The fact that mules can utilize the same tagline as mullets says it all.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 1:10 AM

As a fundamental dress-code item, I had managers send ANYONE wearing mules home to change into proper shoes and had them docked for the time they were away.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote]OP: NYTimes: Can a man wear mules to work?

Yes, man can.

But a man may not, and certainly should not.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 1:50 AM

Do I get 40 acres with them?

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 2:58 AM

I wish my friend Scott was still alive to see this change. Unfortunately he passed away from Aids in the 90s. In the early 80s, he used to wear a pair of Women's mules when he went to class inside the Indiana University Business School building. The stares he used to get but he didn't care much.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 3:16 AM

Can a man wear mules? Yes. Should he? No.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 1:22 PM

Mules or donkeys are not footwear

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 2:19 PM

What demographic does the NYT think it is writing for?

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 2:57 PM

Mules are the thin edge of the wedge. Next, people will be wearing Crocs to the office.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote] Seriously though, it's sort of funny that they show off photos of four very very gay men, none of whom are white and give the response any of us would have come up with

Men come in colors other than white?

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2021 3:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!