Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who back into spaces

I have a theory and am interested in what you all think. I believe that people who back their cars into parking spaces are total douchebags for whom driving and cars are unusually important. I really think this theory is true.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 171September 17, 2021 6:11 PM

I like your theory. More people are doing it, while we in cars have to wait for them to finish.

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2021 4:05 PM

I do this because I would rather endure the hassle on the front-end of parking, and then glide smoothly out of the space as I leave. It’s like giving my future self a treat. My car is a cheap piece of shit, so it has nothing to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2021 4:06 PM

Whatever... I pull into spaces and sometimes back into spaces. It's nice just to pull out when leaving.. and not back out, which can be trickier.

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2021 4:06 PM

Maybe they come from countries where parking stalls are narrower and the only way to park your car is to back up? Have you thought of that you narrow-minded fuck?

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2021 4:06 PM

There is some weird psychology going on. My husband thinks they believe there could a “call to action” or reason to escape quickly and that’s why they park like that. So yeah, 2nd amendment douchebag types.

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2021 4:06 PM

It's more prevalent in places were parking spaces are smaller, apparently. It's also tied to delayed gratification.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2021 4:07 PM

[quote] Maybe they come from countries where parking stalls are narrower and the only way to park your car is to back up? Have you thought of that you narrow-minded fuck?

1) Yes, I have thought of that. Thanks for asking.

2) You sound like someone who backs into parking spaces and is therefore a total douchebag. And I don't believe you are from a foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2021 4:08 PM

I'm a horrible backer upperer, so I don't do it. I will, sometimes, drive through if the space in front is open. But to be honest, I really don't see any great benefit to it.

I always heard that people who back into spaces do it because they want to make a quick exit when the shit does down. I'm not sure what the shit is, but when it goes down, they'll be ready.

by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2021 4:09 PM

I worked for a company that it was a requirement if you drove a company car you must back into parking spaces, their studies showed that less accidents happen backing into parking spaces than backing out of parking spaces.

[quote] people who back their cars into parking spaces are total douchebags

Why on Earth do you care OP, aren't you the douche bag for getting that upset about what other people do? You can't control people so it would be more important if you decide you aren't going to let minor things other people do not upset you.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote] There is some weird psychology going on. My husband thinks they believe there could a “call to action” or reason to escape quickly and that’s why they park like that. So yeah, 2nd amendment douchebag types.

Makes perfect sense to me. I also think that people who do this have a lower IQ than average.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2021 4:10 PM

Either way, you will end up waiting for someone. It's not as if backing out of a parking space is 100% non-disruptive.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] Why on Earth do you care OP, aren't you the douche bag for getting that upset about what other people do? You can't control people so it would be more important if you decide you aren't going to let minor things other people do not upset you.

I care deeply.

No, I am not the douche bag.

I try to control other people.

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2021 4:11 PM

Backing into a space takes more time than backing out. Saying it's about delayed gratification is just stupid. Those idiots have no idea what that is. They'd eat the one cookie rather than wait for two.

Also, the 'call to action' argument is stupid. How often have they had this happen? I would guess never.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2021 4:11 PM

The penised are often called upon to nudity so are required to engineer rapid egress from the parking berth.

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] their studies showed that less accidents happen backing into parking spaces

Oh, DEAR. How about 'their studies showed that [bold] fewer [/bold] accidents happen backing into parking spaces

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2021 4:13 PM

R9 Explained it perfectly. People who think everyone has some ulterior motive must be mentally exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2021 4:14 PM

They’re hiding expired registration tags.

by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2021 4:16 PM

Toe-maytoe.....toe-mahtoe. Don't sweat the small stuff.

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2021 4:17 PM

BTW, if you lard asses would park way out in the empty part of the parking lot and walk in like I do, you wouldn't be delayed by people backing in or pulling out. I have never understood the desire to get a parking spot up close, all it gets you is dinged marks on your doors.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2021 4:18 PM

Totally agree with R2.

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2021 4:18 PM

[quote] [R9] Explained it perfectly. People who think everyone has some ulterior motive must be mentally exhausted.

Well, let's not go overboard. I wouldn't say 'perfectly' since R9 lacks the understanding of when to use 'fewer' vs. 'less'

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2021 4:19 PM

I got rid of my car because I rarely drove it, but when I had one I would park at the far end of the lot, and pull through. Then, as an added bonus, I would get some additional exercise walking across the lot to the store.

I have a friend that drives me crazy because she will spend 10 minutes driving around looking for a closer space, rather than parking farther away and then walking. She got very upset she excitedly found a closer space and I pointed out that if she had parked farther away we would be in the store already.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2021 4:20 PM

It's a safety requirement at my job, including office workers. This is because you're less likely to have an accident when you pull out if you're driving forward rather than backing out. Not because we're all douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2021 4:20 PM

I always thought that older people did it because backing into a space you might just lightly tap one car. However, if you are backing out of a space you could hit a moving vehicle, or worse a child. I also think that older people pull through to the open space ahead of them. I don’t really see them backing into a space.

Your point is interesting though, OP. I have a friend whose truck means the world to him and he’s inordinately attached to it. He backs into every space when he parks.

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2021 4:22 PM

There’s no ulterior motive, it’s strictly a convenience and speaking as someone who back up into an impatient asshole and caused my insurance to go up, it’s well sorth the hassle if you have a backup camera installed.

Also, often if you show up earlier in the day like I do, when you go to leave later there are TONS of cars parked tightly around you so it’s easier to get out. I don’t try to back into a spot if there’s tons of traffic though.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2021 4:23 PM

I like when the space is open in the front, so you just drive in...letting you pull out later.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2021 4:23 PM

I agree with R22 and R26 that the “pull through” is ideal.

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2021 4:25 PM

It is to hide their expired registration sticker. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2021 4:26 PM

R4 Is not very smart. If the spaces are more narrow in their countries then they definitely wouldn't back into the parking space, since it takes a lot more skill to back it between the lines or two cars and leave enough space for the doors to open, on both sides. I know since parking spaces in my country are very narrow which is why I never back into them.

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2021 4:28 PM

In my state, the registration sticker is on the front window.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2021 4:28 PM

It’s usually the size that causes all the problems. Isn’t it always😆? Why are teeny tiny people driving school buses around mall parking lots?

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2021 4:31 PM

Greg the pretentious twat. Steps out of the kitchen to critique grammar. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2021 4:31 PM

Not being racist but is it a black thing ? I only ever see black folks doing it here in Fl . I think its asinine and most annoying,especially when they take forever to do it.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2021 4:32 PM

It seems to me it would be easier to back from a small tight area (the parking spot) into an open area (the parking lot lane) than vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2021 4:34 PM

What state is FI?

Did you mean FL?

You can't even abbreviate your own state correctly, how Florida of you

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2021 4:35 PM

R33, I see a lot of black people in the south do this, but then I went to Boston. Then I saw it a lot on Long Island and in Upstate New York. So it's not just a black thing.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2021 4:36 PM

Whatever will OP do when life offers real challenges?

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2021 4:38 PM

I always thought it was to hide license plates, especially those with unpaid tickets or worse.

In any case, it sucks. Late at night, empty lot, fine but not blocking folks in both directions. Assholes. And almost always women in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2021 4:38 PM

R34 One of the few reasonable people here.

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2021 4:38 PM

Don't you have license plates on front of the cars as well, in USA?

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2021 4:39 PM

"I worked for a company that it was a requirement if you drove a company car you must back into parking spaces, their studies showed that less accidents happen backing into parking spaces than backing out of parking spaces."

That was Coca-Cola's requirement that was implemented around 20 years ago.

"BTW, if you lard asses would park way out in the empty part of the parking lot and walk in like I do, you wouldn't be delayed by people backing in or pulling out. I have never understood the desire to get a parking spot up close, all it gets you is dinged marks on your doors."

I like you, r9/19. I do the exact same, or at least several spaces out.

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2021 4:39 PM

Depends on the state, r40.

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2021 4:40 PM

And the registration stickers are only on the back, 40.

by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2021 4:42 PM

I actually got a ticket for having a vanity plate (gift from Mom long ago) on the front of my car -- in L.A. Not only not done by the state but not allowed either.

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2021 4:42 PM

I back into parking spaces, just because it's easier when leaving (although if there's the opportunity, I will pull straight through to the next spot so I'm facing outward).

Also "Saying it's about delayed gratification is just stupid. Those idiots have no idea what that is. They'd eat the one cookie rather than wait for two." You use the reasoning of a fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2021 4:45 PM

In Texas, we're required to have both front and back license plates and the registration sticker is placed in the lower corner of the windshield on the driver's side.

by Anonymousreply 46September 12, 2021 4:45 PM

Same as New Jersey.^^

by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2021 4:46 PM

I like to back into spots. For example, at restaurants I would rather back into a spot next to the tree line with my car facing the building. At Wal-Mart or Target, I will find two empty facing spot IN THE BACK OF THE LOT and pull forward so I can just drive out. I do not want to hit a Karen that is 350 pounds.

I drive a BMW though, so I am already a douchebag...

by Anonymousreply 48September 12, 2021 4:47 PM

I simply don’t back into spaces because I hate reverse parking.

by Anonymousreply 49September 12, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] Whatever will OP do when life offers real challenges?

Aww...poor R37 - he'd rather read posts about anal bleaching and reheating pizza.

by Anonymousreply 50September 12, 2021 4:50 PM

Parallel parting...now that's tricky shit.

by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2021 4:52 PM

*parking..^^

by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote] For example, at restaurants I would rather back into a spot

Interesting that you specify at restaurants. Because after you gorge your fat ass you don't want to have to turn your head to back out of a spot.

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2021 4:52 PM

Who parks their car? Everywhere has valet!

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2021 4:55 PM

I think they simply (and stupidly) think they're saving time by doing that. They can just get in their car and drive away. They're too stupid to realize the time they saved leaving was taken up by the time they spent backing into the space.

As they say, stupid is as stupid does.

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2021 5:03 PM

A truck driver friend said many truck drivers including pickup truck drivers back into spaces because it's difficult to see the back of your truck when you're backing out, especially if the truck is large. There won't likely be people inside the parking space as you're backing into it, but there may be people in the traffic areas of a parking lot as you're trying to back out. Back-up cameras may reduce the need to back into parking spaces, but parking butch is here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 56September 12, 2021 5:16 PM

It depends on if your license plate is up to date.

by Anonymousreply 57September 12, 2021 5:20 PM

r56, lot lizard.

by Anonymousreply 58September 12, 2021 5:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 12, 2021 9:38 PM

I see people back into spaces at suburban Wawas (a local convenient store), it’s usually guys who end up hanging out in the parking lot or in their cars while they smoke or eat.

[quote]They’re hiding expired registration tags.

[quote]It is to hide their expired registration sticker. Duh.

I currently live in Pennsylvania where they stopped issuing registration stickers in 2017, it’s all electronic now. (which is surprising considering how backwards this state is. Then again, people were stealing stickers off cars so I guess this is only unintentional progress)

[quote]less accidents happen backing into parking spaces than backing out of parking spaces.

Especially now with people staring at their phones while they walk.

[quote]I like when the space is open in the front, so you just drive in...letting you pull out later.

Same.

by Anonymousreply 60September 12, 2021 9:57 PM

I have a friend who works for the FBI and recommends everyone do this to be able to get out quickly if there’s an emergency

by Anonymousreply 61September 12, 2021 9:59 PM

The people I personally know who regularly do this are all assholes.

by Anonymousreply 62September 12, 2021 10:09 PM

I reverse park about 50% of the time, depending on situation and traffic. I drive a Landcruiser, and because it's so big I'm not generally parking in the busiest part of the lot. The reason I like to reverse park is that I have social anxiety, so once I've returned to my car I can sit behind the wheel, take some deep breaths, and exit smoothly without further stress.

by Anonymousreply 63September 12, 2021 10:14 PM

This video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote] I have a friend who works for the FBI and recommends everyone do this to be able to get out quickly if there’s an emergency

No one on DL is an FBI agent. And no one on DL has ever been in a situation where they have to run out of Burger King in an emergency where the 0.5 seconds they saved was worth the 10 extra hours they spent over the years backing into a parking spot.

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2021 2:22 AM

Another reason to back into spot. A very low front end on your car. With a new MB E450, we can catch the front of the car on a concrete wheel bar which could risk ripping the front of the car off if aren’t careful.

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2021 2:33 AM

My car is very small and often it becomes flanked by two high-profile SUVs in parking lots. When this happens I cannot see anything while trying to back out of the space. If I initially back into the space I will have greater visibility when pulling out. It’s time to bring back spaces for compact cars only.

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2021 2:42 AM

Don't most cars have cameras for backing up? I've had one in my car for the past 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2021 2:46 AM

I always back in if I can because it’s safer. I worked at a dealership and the rule was to always back in for safety. I understand that company truck drivers also back in.

Some drivers are just to sloppy or careless to even bother backing in like OP.

P.S. if you know how to back in properly it does not take any longer than backing out of a parking space.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2021 2:47 AM

I prefer to drive through to the second spot or back into a parking space. I've had a few incidents where another car will zoom past me even though I'm half way out of a parking space. If your vehicle collides with another while backing out of parking space the driver who exited the parking space is the at-fault party.

Backing in made it easier when I purchased a car with a backup camera but I won't back in if the car behind me is right on my ass.

by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2021 2:47 AM

They are the WORST, OP.

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2021 2:48 AM

There are too many SUV's and minivans. If I have to back out and have one of those next to me. I can't see. I don't want to hit someone who is walking, and not paying attention because they are looking at their phone.

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2021 2:50 AM

Back-up cameras are not periscopes. They do not capture the peripheral areas which are visually blocked by SUVs, vans, and trucks.

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2021 2:54 AM

The whole thing about a fast getaway is stupid, unless you are robbing banks or holding up liquor stores. And you aren’t good at backing out, but yet you’ll spend ten minutes blocking everyone backing in to a parking spot? Dumb. It’s like a friend whose husband always made a big deal out of not being seated with his back to the door in a restaurant. It’s just weird personal habits that seem like something legitimate, but based on nothing more than feigned importance.

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2021 3:07 AM

did you know that one of the most dangerous maneuvers of driving is having to back out of a space?

by Anonymousreply 75September 13, 2021 3:11 AM

I’m also a person who parks way out where no one else is parked, away from the everyone, and invariably I will come out of a store with a person parked right up next to me. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 76September 13, 2021 3:11 AM

*away from everyone

by Anonymousreply 77September 13, 2021 3:11 AM

That's not a theory OP, that's an ignorant comment.

by Anonymousreply 78September 13, 2021 3:13 AM

A few simple weirdos, but mostly people who are either behind on their car note, have lots of unpaid tickets, or are somewhere they aren’t supposed to be with someone they aren’t supposed to be with.

by Anonymousreply 79September 13, 2021 3:19 AM

As a trans Asian, I’ve noticed a sharp decline in my driving skills since beginning my post-Caucasian journey. Should I start backing in to parking spots?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 13, 2021 3:20 AM

Op, many people who have a habit of backing in learned to do so in the army (for tactical reasons). The habit carries over into civilian life.

by Anonymousreply 81September 13, 2021 4:00 AM

I just don't get American laws. How do you hide registration tags? Doesn't police have the info when every car was registered and when the registration ends? I thought US was supposed to be a modern, advanced country. Also, no license plates on front of the car? Why? And what moron came up with that? Who benefits from this. So if the car in traffic hits you from behind, you can't see their license and are basically screwed?

by Anonymousreply 82September 13, 2021 10:02 AM

This is american problem. Since cars there are so huge, it's hard to back out of parking space since you don't see anything. And if you have a small car, you are probably surrounded by huge SUVS or trucks, so again, you don't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 83September 13, 2021 10:04 AM

The “people on phones” is a real and serious problem. They also are likely wearing headphones, are completely oblivious and would quickly sue you if you backed up into them. The guy I backed into had stopped his car behind me and was staring at his phone and didn’t see me backing up. I was held at fault.

I have a detector in my bumper of my new car years ago and one time a girl darted behind my car while I was backing up and it was like the hand of God pushed down on my brake when it alerted. I was really grateful as a personal lawsuit like that might have bankrupted me.

by Anonymousreply 84September 13, 2021 10:54 AM

[quote] Some drivers are just to sloppy

Irony.

by Anonymousreply 85September 13, 2021 11:11 AM

R73 that's simply not true, if you have one on your car, you would have known the backup cameras DO capture the peripheral, the issue with the backup cameras is a lot people don't know how to use it properly, or I should say how to view the screen and understand the "depth", that's why the video frame has those colors and lines to show you the space and depth, but then again, some people still don't TRUST the lines and colors and are afraid of using it, so either you trust the camera to guide you or don't use it at all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 13, 2021 11:42 AM

EVERY person I have ever known who backs their cars into parks has been a self important arrogant wanker, every last one of them. My brother, my ex, my neighbour, countless others. all have a superiority complex or are narcissists, I was forming a theory in my head about this and I googled it and found there was a psychological hypothesis about it.

by Anonymousreply 87September 13, 2021 12:25 PM

It’s annoying when they have to do it in 20 maneuvers. HURRY UP CUNT. Or buy a self parking car.

by Anonymousreply 88September 13, 2021 1:54 PM

Or you do it as a courtesy to those who park on either side to avoid having the bulk of your SUV block their view when they are trying to back out.

by Anonymousreply 89September 13, 2021 2:02 PM

[quote] I believe that people who back their cars into parking spaces are total douchebags

I think the fact that you are exerting energy about this most mundane of events means you must be one of the saddest, fattest people who ever, ever, EVER lived.

by Anonymousreply 90September 13, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote]Back-up cameras are not periscopes. They do not capture the peripheral areas which are visually blocked by SUVs, vans, and trucks.

No, but LIDAR does, and my car has it.

by Anonymousreply 91September 13, 2021 3:09 PM

I was taught to back into spaces for parallel parking and I can't do it driving forward, so I just don't parallel park. I got tired years ago of pulling ahead of the space, signaling, starting to back up and some jackass pulling up right behind me because he had no idea what I was doing. About a year before lockdown my partner parallel parked that way in front of a bar and when we got out of the car the outside drinkers started hassling us. I finally told one guy that looked like a gnome to look it up on his phone, "I'm not lying to you, that is how you're supposed to parallel park," and everyone stopped hollering and looked confused.

Now that I think about it, that may have been the last time I went out. I stopped going out several months before COVID because I got tired of people.

by Anonymousreply 92September 13, 2021 3:15 PM

in texas, if you drive a pickup.......you pretty much have to back in.......because if you don't.......the ass end of your truck sticks out about three feet from most parking spots..........if you back in ...........the front overhang is shorter so the front of your truck only sticks out about a foot...........less chance of getting hit and blocking "in" someone who is directly across from you as they try to back out of their space..........simply no choice in tx..............

by Anonymousreply 93September 13, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote] I think the fact that you are exerting energy about this most mundane of events means you must be one of the saddest, fattest people who ever, ever, EVER lived.

Sorry, you are more interested in being enlightened about anal bleaching and Prince Harry. Lots on DL is mundane.

by Anonymousreply 94September 13, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote] in texas, if you drive a pickup.......you pretty much have to back in.......because if you don't.......the ass end of your truck sticks out about three feet from most parking spots..........if you back in ...........the front overhang is shorter so the front of your truck only sticks out about a foot...........less chance of getting hit and blocking "in" someone who is directly across from you as they try to back out of their space..........simply no choice in tx..............

This makes no sense. The truck has not gotten any shorter because you back in. It's just sticking more into the other space and less into the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 95September 13, 2021 3:47 PM

the only situation where I have found a relationship for those driving into a car space that requires one to to back out and those who back into a space for rapid departure is in company employee parking lots. A company with an unhappy work force usually has a high percentage of cars backed into their parking space. As a salesman I have always looked for this indicator.

by Anonymousreply 96September 13, 2021 3:58 PM

r95.........the rear axle is FURTHER from the rear bumper than the front axle is to the front bumper..........if you back in, 4-5 feet of your truck hangs "over" past the curb...............if you pull in front-ways, only about 1-2 feet of your length hangs over the curb........thus 5 minus 2 equals 3 feet "difference" in the amount your rear sticks out.................your argument only applies to cars whose axles are EXACTLY the same distance from their respective bumpers.........trucks are not built like that...............

by Anonymousreply 97September 13, 2021 5:11 PM

R97 I’m still not buying your story because if you park against a wall, the length remains the same. You are talking about taking over 2 spaces with your short magic trick.

by Anonymousreply 98September 13, 2021 5:42 PM

I bet Aunt Diane backed into parking spaces ... would be just like her.

by Anonymousreply 99September 13, 2021 5:44 PM

r98...........never become an Architect or a Structural Engineer........... Please................

by Anonymousreply 100September 13, 2021 5:46 PM

R100 explain to me how parking against a wall makes any difference?

by Anonymousreply 101September 13, 2021 5:48 PM

I don't see it that much here in So CA, except "bro" types and D-bag, oversized truck-driving, or other raised, overly large vehicle-driving people. Most often, men. I don't see women doing this. Backing out safely isn't hard. Most new vehicles have reverse cameras and all cars need to have proper mirrors. Don't want to hold up traffic? Park farther away.

by Anonymousreply 102September 13, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote][R98]...........never become an Architect or a Structural Engineer........... Please................

How are you going to say that when YOU'RE the idiot who can't understand what you're saying?

by Anonymousreply 103September 13, 2021 6:39 PM

I'll try to answer some of your questions R82.

[quote]How do you hide registration tags? You don't really. But each state has different regulations for how registration tags are displayed. In some states, a sticker with the registration expiration date is placed on the rear license plate. In others, like Texas where I live, the registration expiration sticker is placed on the front windshield. There may be other standards in other states, but those are the two that are most common. If you've let your registration expire, you might want to hide that fact so that a cop patrolling the parking lot can't see your expired tag.

[quote]Doesn't police have the info when every car was registered and when the registration ends? Sure. But do you expect them to run the license plate of every car in a parking lot just to see which ones are current and which ones are expired? They're not likely to bother unless they notice an expired tag. Then they would run the plates to verify before writing a citation.

[quote]Also, no license plates on front of the car? Why? And what moron came up with that? Who benefits from this. So if the car in traffic hits you from behind, you can't see their license and are basically screwed? Again, this varies from state to state. Some require a front plate, some don't. But why would that matter in an accident? If someone hits you from behind, you and that person would get out of your cars and trade info and you would get their plate number from their rear plate. If you don't get out of your car for some reason, you're still not likely to see their plate in your mirror if they hit you from behind. If they hit you and take off, you would see their back plate as they sped away (unless they throw it in reverse and speed away backwards).

by Anonymousreply 104September 13, 2021 9:23 PM

^^^I screwed up the formatting. But the answers are there.^^^

by Anonymousreply 105September 13, 2021 9:24 PM

OP, dear, I’ve never meant the following expression with more intensity, sincerity, and frustration: “Get a fucking life”. Sometimes we back into parking spaces, sometimes we don’t. Tedious much?

by Anonymousreply 106September 13, 2021 9:30 PM

I hate it when spaces back into people.

by Anonymousreply 107September 14, 2021 1:04 AM

I've found that people who obsess about/object to others' backing into parking spaces are assholes who suffer from severe projection and care about no one else but themselves. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2021 1:11 AM

R108 backs into spaces

by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2021 3:29 AM

Backer-Inners are almost always diesel truck driving gassholes. Who also start their truck and let them idle for 10-20 minutes for some weird reason. In Western states where you don't usually need to "warm up" a car/truck.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2021 4:38 AM

Backing out is more difficult in a parking lot because people will walk right behind your car.

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2021 4:43 AM

When I'm driving the car, I almost always back in; it's much easier (and safer for visibility) exiting, especially when surrounded with the gargantuan trucks/SUVs prevalent in our little SoCal mountain town, and oblivious pedestrians, who absolutely have no sense of personal responsibility.

Of course when I'm driving my big long-bed diesel truck I back in too; it's not difficult to miss cars/peds when backing out of a space. I'm extraordinarily aware of parking now with the onset of cataracts in my right eye that are better some days than others . . . I plan to follow my late mother's example & "hang up the keys" when it's that time :(

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2021 4:43 AM

My town has an entire block of back-in spaces next to a small shopping center. They make popping into the market so much easier as the lot in front of the store is tight and crowded.

Sometimes I'll park in a back-in space if there is space around it. Even with my back up camera I have trouble getting in easily. It is a breeze leaving, though. We also have some new roundabouts in town. I don't mind them on the less busy streets but the really busy one is a pain. It can be hard to jump in with all the circular speeders.

by Anonymousreply 113September 14, 2021 4:51 AM

R67, there are spaces that are specifically for compact cars, however, asshole SUV drivers and larger will still park in these spots.

by Anonymousreply 114September 14, 2021 4:59 AM

r113 - do you live in Windsor, CA?

by Anonymousreply 115September 14, 2021 5:01 AM

R104 You are assuming they will stop. How wouldn't you see their registration plate in your review mirror? They don't have to back away backwards, they could just turn right/left on the next crossing.

by Anonymousreply 116September 14, 2021 9:08 AM

Good thing to do (if you can) in the Trader Joe's parking lot. That place is hell. People have been hit and some jump in front cars, kids escape their parents and could be in the back and you don't see them. For this reason, at the one in Encino, CA they have several parking attendants who signal when it is ok to enter or exit. It is the same in Woodland Hills but I would rather park at the meters than go in there. Because, despite the attendant signaling and me backing out, some cretin Asian lady driving with her headset on hit me....totally oblivious to everything and almost killed a lady loading her groceries in the car next to me. Insane.

by Anonymousreply 117September 14, 2021 9:42 AM

[quote]Also, no license plates on front of the car? Why? And what moron came up with that? Who benefits from this.

R82, the answer is obvious, it cuts the cost and materials of license plates in half.

by Anonymousreply 118September 14, 2021 10:08 AM

[R106] Backs into spaces.

by Anonymousreply 119September 14, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote] OP, dear, I’ve never meant the following expression with more intensity, sincerity, and frustration: “Get a fucking life”. Sometimes we back into parking spaces, sometimes we don’t. Tedious much?

R106, dear, I've never the meant the following expressions with more intensity, sincerity, and frustration: "I don't give a shit what you think." YOU are the tedious one, my love. And I still maintain that only douchebags back into parking spaces. And I think you are one of them.

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2021 1:13 PM

The first time I got accidentally fucked I was backing up.

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2021 1:24 PM

my axle to bumper ratio argument is verifiable and stands...........

by Anonymousreply 122September 14, 2021 1:26 PM

I back into spaces (or pull through) because I hate backing out into a busy parking lot when I leave.

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2021 1:30 PM

r122..........I support your argument.........I have a Dodge RAM 2500 diesel, long bed, long-wheel-base truck..........if I don't back in, the rear sticks out in the parking lot by about 3-4 feet........the RAM is just too long to pull in head first.........

by Anonymousreply 124September 14, 2021 1:35 PM

R120 - makes sense at Teader Joe's in their small lot.

by Anonymousreply 125September 14, 2021 1:36 PM

I back into space when I know it's going to be crowded later (like going to costco at 4:30pm) or if I know I'm going to be pissed off when I leave some place. Otherwise I don't bother. As someone said upthread, it's like giving your future self a present.

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2021 1:43 PM

R124, it’s good that you support yourself at r122.

(Your idiotic use of ellipses gave it away, and trolldar confirmed.)

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2021 1:46 PM

I back into spaces because I am a small-dicked douche who loves to show the world just how well I can maneuver my Chevy Camaro.

by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2021 1:47 PM

How about people who taking fucking forever to back out of a space? Both methods of parking take the same amount of time, backing into a space is doing the hard work first. Pulling into a space is delaying the hard work.

by Anonymousreply 129September 14, 2021 1:47 PM

R122=R134=Ellipses= Douche

by Anonymousreply 130September 14, 2021 1:49 PM

I often support myself

by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2021 1:49 PM

^^^^^Sorry...R122=R124

by Anonymousreply 132September 14, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote] A few simple weirdos, but mostly people who are either behind on their car note, have lots of unpaid tickets, or are somewhere they aren’t supposed to be with someone they aren’t supposed to be with.

[quote] Makes perfect sense to me. I also think that people who do this have a lower IQ than average.

If only some you were as intelligent; as you believe yourselves to be.

Every few months someone creates this same stupid thread.

Reverse Parking: Why It’s Safer

It’s not just about a personal preference: reverse parking has its safety advantages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 14, 2021 1:50 PM

in fact, I support both sides of many arguments here on DL all the time, to fan the flames and generally piss people off................

by Anonymousreply 134September 14, 2021 1:51 PM

R133- Thanks for the AAA ad. LAME.

by Anonymousreply 135September 14, 2021 1:52 PM

132........quite ironically you were right the first time (in 130)

by Anonymousreply 136September 14, 2021 1:53 PM

Someone made a video about people who park in reverse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 14, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote] Every few months someone creates this same stupid thread.

No. Not true. Thanks for coming.

by Anonymousreply 138September 14, 2021 1:57 PM

138 quite true

by Anonymousreply 139September 14, 2021 1:58 PM

I’m curious with guys like R2 - do you find it more difficult to back into a space than to back out of one? I find backing in would be so much more of a hassle than just backing out. I usually park as far away as I can, anyway. Too many door dings in the past. I once saw this old guy pushing his truck door open with his cane. I guess the door was so heavy he needed to keep pushing it - into the side of the car he parked next to.

by Anonymousreply 140September 14, 2021 2:03 PM

[quote] If only some you were as intelligent; as you believe yourselves to be.

If this isn’t the height of irony, I’ll eat my hat.

by Anonymousreply 141September 14, 2021 2:06 PM

R106, this thread already has 141 comments so it looks like you are the douche who underestimates what is important to people.

by Anonymousreply 142September 14, 2021 2:08 PM

Some people overuse the word "douche." Overuse of that word is why we cannot have nice things...........

by Anonymousreply 143September 14, 2021 2:28 PM

can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 144September 14, 2021 2:29 PM

When I drove, it was safer to pull out of a space I backed into. I didn't spend days mentally masturbating as to the social significance of it. To be honest, there were other, far more important things to think about.

by Anonymousreply 145September 14, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote] When I drove, it was safer to pull out of a space I backed into. I didn't spend days mentally masturbating as to the social significance of it. To be honest, there were other, far more important things to think about.

Yeah, like anal bleaching and Prince Harry.

by Anonymousreply 146September 14, 2021 3:11 PM

[R146], your comment isn't even humorous. It's just fucking stupid. Please try to be at least a little funnier next time you post. Because your comment makes you look like a complete moron. Not on DL, honey; just no.

by Anonymousreply 147September 14, 2021 3:13 PM

I nearly always back into spaces; I'm in the U.K. and our spaces are a bit smaller than America's. It's just a habit, I suspect, but a good one, as I now drive a bigger car - I couldn't have reversed as capably in my XF at seventeen!

by Anonymousreply 148September 14, 2021 3:23 PM

[quote] [[R146]], your comment isn't even humorous. It's just fucking stupid. Please try to be at least a little funnier next time you post. Because your comment makes you look like a complete moron. Not on DL, honey; just no.

I think it's quite amusing. It's you, R147, who looks to be the moron here.

by Anonymousreply 149September 14, 2021 3:27 PM

I don't think I've ever known someone who made a regular habit of it. I assumed most people, myself included, do it on occasion/whim, say when a parking lot is normally crowded but you arrive at an oddly quiet moment, you might back into a parking space assuming that the usually crowd will be back in force by the time you are ready to depart and driving forward from a space is quicker and safer than backing up from a space.

I assumed people did it situationally rather than routinely. In either event, the driver has to back in/out once in the two step process, so short of the actuarial tables of R9's former employer's insurer, the efficiency/time savings and any practical aspect seems inconsequential.

by Anonymousreply 150September 14, 2021 7:16 PM

[quote] I find backing in would be so much more of a hassle than just backing out. I usually park as far away as I can, anyway. Too many door dings in the past.

Yeah, I try to park a little further away from where all the cars are concentrated. I also try to park next to cars (if I have to park right next to someone) that look like they're parked there for the day (e.g., sunshades on the windshield).

by Anonymousreply 151September 14, 2021 7:35 PM

About the person upthread who said his truck sticks out less if he backs in.

This only makes sense if the parking space allows the bed of the truck to back up past the inside border of the parking space. Some have those concrete parking guards. You'd have to be able to back the bed of the truck over and past the guard, possibly into a parking space behind you.

Where I live, many places have plantings, and signs forbidding back-up parking because trucks smash and kill the bushes; and, if a hot muffler is too close to dry vegetation, it can cause a fire.

by Anonymousreply 152September 14, 2021 10:15 PM

R152, or maybe his truck is shorter when it’s backed in.

by Anonymousreply 153September 14, 2021 10:22 PM

We need v8fairy to comment on this pressing issue

by Anonymousreply 154September 14, 2021 10:24 PM

Guess I'm a douchebag. Sorry, it's easier for me to back in than back out. Always prefer the pull-through option when available. I hate parking lots and people are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 155September 14, 2021 10:27 PM

So if a bomb goes off and you have to drive off in a hurry, (1) hundreds of other people will be fleeing as well and (2) is five seconds spent backing out going to make any difference?

by Anonymousreply 156September 14, 2021 10:35 PM

Pull through for the win every time I can manage.

by Anonymousreply 157September 15, 2021 4:03 AM

R156 Lives in a warzone.

by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2021 9:24 AM

OP and some of others responding would be shit out of luck driving in NYC or other urban areas. Spots often are difficult to find and parallel parking is only way to get into majority. You're going to be driving around for a very long time say in Manhattan trying to find a space you can pull into.

OTOH love watching total AH drivers who obviously only know how to pull into spaces trying to parallel park. Fucking spot you could fit the Lusitania into and they can't park a mid-size car.

by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2021 9:38 AM

R159 This thread is about backing into a parking space, not about parallel parking. You got lost.

by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2021 10:31 AM

And if you cannot "back into" said parking space what then? Just pass it by and look for another?

Or maybe OP or rest of you should be more specific as to what sort of parking space you are referring.

by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2021 10:44 AM

R101 Why wouldn't one be able to back into a parking space? And if so, I guess they look for another empty space.

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2021 11:51 AM

If you can back out of a space you can back into a space.

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2021 1:20 PM

I would never have guessed how many judgments people passed on me for backing-in. I’d guess most “back-inners” are like me—I do it when it’s convenient, not every single time, just if the lot happens to be quiet at the moment and I can back-in without a fuss, because there could be congestion or difficulty in the lot when it’s time to leave. If a pull-through spot is available, I’ll go for that instead. I have no problems parallel parking, I learned to do that as a kid in the city. Part of the reason backing-in and parallel parking are manageable for me is because I drive a small car. If I can’t back in, it’s no issue at all to park front-in.

What is driving the annoyance/anger from some of you? Do people trying to back-in make you wait in parking lots or crash into your cars or something?

by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2021 1:27 PM

I don't get that either, r76.

by Anonymousreply 165September 16, 2021 2:02 PM

R163 Not true. It's a lot easier to back into a huge empty space than between two vehicles, leaving the same space between them.

by Anonymousreply 166September 16, 2021 4:10 PM

I back into spaces all the time R166. If you learned how to back in having vehicles on both sides is not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 167September 16, 2021 11:41 PM

Guess it really all comes down to what people are comfortable and skilled at doing.

Know people who cannot back into a spot such as in a parking garage or lot to save their life. If they do you'd better hope your vehicle isn't on either side of said spot. They also cannot back into ninety degree parking either.

by Anonymousreply 168September 17, 2021 5:26 AM

Every time i back into a space, i leave so much room at the end with too much hood out.

i don't do well at parallel parking either. i can do it, but it takes several tries.

i think it's a spatial problem with me. i don't do well with spacial relations. i gave up a car when i lived in SF City. And it was a happy time, to be honest. We had Zipcar!

by Anonymousreply 169September 17, 2021 5:30 AM

You don’t do well with capital letters, either.

by Anonymousreply 170September 17, 2021 11:31 AM

[quote] OP and some of others responding would be shit out of luck driving in NYC or other urban areas. Spots often are difficult to find and parallel parking is only way to get into majority. You're going to be driving around for a very long time say in Manhattan trying to find a space you can pull into.

What an asshole. I wasn't talking about parallel parking. I live in a city and I parallel park all the time and am really good at it.

I am talking about people who are in a parking lot and back into a space. It's just an observation on my part that people who do this are usually jerks. Just an observation. I think there are others here who would agree with my assessment.

by Anonymousreply 171September 17, 2021 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!