Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do people from Delaware speak so strangely?

I am watching Valerie Bertinelli on the Food Network and she just mentioned she is from Delaware, and it caught me off guard because she speaks so normally.

Aubrey Plaza is from Delaware and she always sounds like she is stoned or something—which obviously could just be a personal affectation...except so does Ryan Phillippe. He sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and is on a sedative. Joe Biden grew up in Pennsylvania, but he lives in Delaware and he also struggles to get words out a lot.

Are these all just odd coincidences, or is "Delaware mumblemouth" some sort of local dialectic affectation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 4:34 PM

I agree, OP. Ryan Phillippe really has this manner of speaking.

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2021 11:21 PM

I know several people from Delaware and they don't speak in this manner.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2021 11:23 PM

Delaware has a strain of hick accent that is quite harsh, a cross between Eunice of Mama's Family and a NASCAR driver. High in pitch, agitated, in a great hurry, and chopping short the ends of words in a staccato.

It's as manufactured and imported as NASCAR, with only a tiny kernel of geographic specificity: it's generic American hick with a big pickup truck, just at a slightly harsher, choppier Clio.

It's found especially in the Southern end of the state but not exclusively. It's an aspirational accent learned from select family and friends but in softer versions bleeding into the language in a broader way, a general hurry to truncate words and move to the next and a high pitch.

In the Northern part of the state, there is less of the cultivated hick accent and most people with even a little education sound more or less Mid Atlantic newscaster - a few odd Philadelphia or Baltimore influenced pronunciations creeping in on a small group of words. It has a bitch more pitch and hurry to it than it should, but is often noticeable only in specific words.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 8:18 AM

Aubrey talks more like a worthless Valley Girl than anything else.

Bitch, you're a millionaire for voicing Grumpy Cat and reading other people's lame jokes to Amy Poehler. Crack a smile once in a while and get some goddamn sun!

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 8:35 AM

Aubrey Plaza is odd whichever way you look at her. I’m a fan.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 4:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!