Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Datalounge Thread From 9/11/2001

Here is the thread from 9/11 in real time.

It's a tough read for sure. My thoughts: It was weird seeing some people be psychic about what was to come and others be WAY off the mark.

Most prescient post, to me:

[quote] There will be so many terrible things that this tragedy will give birth to. Timothy McVeigh is dancing in hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2021 8:38 PM

It's unfortunate that thread doesn't include the original timestamps.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 6:09 PM

R1 true but it's still an interesting and terrible time capsule. Seeing people's reactions and predictions (some basically psychic)

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2021 6:21 PM

So many "OH DEAR!" moments and no one is calling them out? Even if the world is burning, I'd take time to correct their mistakes!!!

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2021 6:22 PM

I wasn't on DL in 2001 but I was on Usenet, and we had some very similar threads. No "insatiable bottom" classics but a lot of the concern that this was going to lead to war and loss of freedoms.

There was an absolute nutcase on several groups I went to (rec.food.cooking is the one I remember but there were some political groups as well) who was so bad he was like the worst of the DL trolls, just constant racist, homophobic, hateful crap coming from his mouth, and he worked in the Towers, and it got real awkward when it turned out he survived.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2021 6:27 PM

R196 noted that Jon King was getting fat, so Datalounge was always on point, even in the midst of a catastrophic event.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2021 6:53 PM

I didn’t realize Bin Laden was so well known at the time. The number of posts saying he must be responsible was surprising to me. I had no idea who he was before 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2021 7:18 PM

I knew something serious was afoot when I was redirected by The Naked News to CNN or the networks for the days information.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2021 7:52 PM

A truly tragic moment and heartbreaking thread

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2021 7:57 PM

Eerie

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2021 5:33 AM

I used to live in New York City. Everything there was dark and dirty. Outside my my window was a steeple. with a clock that always read 12:30.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2021 7:53 PM

I think I was R1. It heard the report on NPR about three minutes before I parked my car at work. I couldn't get any info from CNN or MSNBC online, do I came to DL.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2021 8:04 PM

And a million people claim to be R2. Probably the most DL response of all time.

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2021 8:33 PM

Really interesting, OP. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2021 8:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!