Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George W. Bush's Shanksville 9/11/21 speech

Very well-said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 15, 2021 1:40 AM

Bitch. Please.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 5:44 PM

Yassss Kween! Boots to the house down, Mama! We love Bush because Mama Michelle said we could, and we don’t have a brain of our own. Yasss!

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2021 5:46 PM

The difference between 43 and Trump with their very different ideas about exporting democracy - with Bush trying to export to the Middle East and Trump trying to export it from America - cannot be gainsaid. We need republicans like Bush speaking out against the Vanilla Isis party his GOP has become.

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2021 5:56 PM

Try to keep up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2021 5:57 PM

Fuck George W. Bush. He should be in prison for his crimes against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2021 6:02 PM

Bush and Israel did 9/11 don’t praise him.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2021 6:03 PM

Freak at r6.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2021 6:05 PM

While Bush is by no means squeaky clean or a saint, he has grown into somewhat of a statesman. The fact he made an appearance at the Biden Inaugural ceremony was a bold move.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2021 6:08 PM

Sure r8. I guess he's a statesman in the sense that he didn't shit his pants or call anyone the N word. Trump really lowered the bar.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2021 6:09 PM

Bush is doing what ex-Presidents usually do - remake their image for posterity. He used 9/11 to get us into an unnecessary war in Iraq, resulting in the current shitshow in that country now. Plus he had delusions of grandeur in assuming he could export (force-feed is more accurate, actually) democracy to both Iraq and Afghanistan, setting us up for failure at both.

His speech is nice on its own, but he did a lot of damage to the U.S. and should never be let off the hook for it just because he doesn't sound like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Fuck GWB. Until Trump, easily one of the worst presidents of the past 60 years. I hate how Trump has seemingly made this moron look decent in the eyes of so many people. Americans have such short memories.

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Here's what he said:

"There is little cultural overlap between violent extremists abroad and violent extremists at home," he continued. "But in their disdain for pluralism, disregard for human life. In their determination to defile national symbols they are children of the same foul spirit and it is our continuing duty to confront them."

Right-wing DLers, who on earth could he be talking about? 'Splain?

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Is it Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2021 6:23 PM

Pukes don't believe in democracy. Or Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2021 6:23 PM

Fuck George Bush. He is a war criminal and responsible for the rise of the deplorables as much as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2021 6:23 PM

When he paints a portrait of "Todd Beamer In Heaven," then I'll be impressed.

by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2021 6:28 PM

Will someone PLEASE comment on what he said? I wish to hear from the Cons.

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2021 6:37 PM

I thought he was a weak terrible President. I thought this was a damned good speech.

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2021 6:43 PM

Anybody know who wrote it for him?

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2021 6:52 PM

That was a great speech. Loved how he tied 9/11 to 1/6. He's thrown down the gauntlet to the Trumpsters.

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2021 6:54 PM

Did GWB buy new tits?

by Anonymousreply 21September 11, 2021 6:57 PM

R17 all the Trumpsters on twitter are having a hissy fit about Dubya's speech. He really attacked them, something he - as a Republican - could do and the Democrats if they did it would have just been ignored by the rightwing. He really got under their skin.

by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2021 6:59 PM

George Bush makes pretty little speeches, but just wait until the next election where he'll start handing out endorsements for shitty Republican candidates.

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote] He really attacked them, something he - as a Republican - could do and the Democrats if they did it would have just been ignored by the rightwing. He really got under their skin.

Only Nixon could go to China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2021 7:02 PM

Bush HAD to go to Trumpsville, PA because no one would have put up with his deceitful, treasonous ass in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2021 7:03 PM

Out of all the Republicans I like him the most. He really tried to be fair, and he was the most honest. And he has such a sweet, playful relationship with Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2021 7:07 PM

If W belongs in prison, so does Biden, Hillary & so many other Dems who gave him their blessing to invade Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2021 7:10 PM

R27 - Youre absolutely correct. It makes me wonder if there’s ever been an honest politician who made it that far.

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2021 7:11 PM

You are right, R27 and also let's not forget that an election WAS stolen in my lifetime and it wasn't in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2021 7:12 PM

I hated Dubya. But after Obama was elected, he never, ever criticized Obama. He did, however, criticize Trump repeatedly.

And he did create PEPFAR to fight AIDS in subSaharan Africa which saved millions of lives.

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2021 7:26 PM

Skanksville. Appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2021 7:50 PM

Bush is a war criminal who agrees with every single thing Gov. Abbott has done in Texas.

I see zero difference between what he did and terrorism. He is responsible for 9/11 and everything that followed from that.

by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2021 7:55 PM

R30 - when did Bush criticize Trump by name?

Answer: Never.

by Anonymousreply 33September 11, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote] While Bush is by no means squeaky clean or a saint, he has grown into somewhat of a statesman. The fact he made an appearance at the Biden Inaugural ceremony was a bold move.

He hasn’t “grown.” He’s the same Republican moron. Doing what all other modern presidents have done, other than the worst president in modern history, is in no way shape or form a “bold move.” He will never be forgiven for the damage he did to this country.

by Anonymousreply 34September 11, 2021 8:07 PM

R30 he also created the Pandemic department (after - yes - reading a book) which Trump then threw to shit - and why we are where we are.

by Anonymousreply 35September 11, 2021 8:11 PM

His whole re-election strategy was built around stopping scary homosexuals from getting married and ruining Western civilization. He is an evil man, complicit with evil men but more likely both.

by Anonymousreply 36September 11, 2021 8:15 PM

It's all very well to point fingers and flap your wrists and say, "Bad president! You have blood on your hands!" I defy any of you asshats to try it for a week. You'll be on your padded knees praying to Mary Kay, your spiritual advisor, to get you the fuck out of the job.

Trump is the only one I really hate. The rest of them were faced with events. And Nixon took the bullet for his staff wot fucked up. You watch news conferences with Nixon and he was erudite. He knew exactly what the issues were, and he didn't need notes, and he didn't need journalists pre-briefed to ask certain questions and avoid others.

I hated Nixon when I was young, and it's only through watching his news conferences that I gained a respect for him. I also think it's puerile to think in terms of Dems and Repugs. They're all politicians; they're out for themselves and themselves only. That said, I'd sooner spit on a Repug than shake their hand.

Just my deux centimes.

by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2021 8:17 PM

Why the fuck didn't he speak out last year during the election? Nice speech today and all but it's a little too late. Al. MAGA will do is tear him a new one.

by Anonymousreply 38September 11, 2021 8:26 PM

The rehabilitation of this guy amazes me.

by Anonymousreply 39September 11, 2021 8:27 PM

R38 Bush first spoke out against Trump, attacking his lies, attacking his inhuman stance on immigration in October 2017. I tried to post the link to the LA Times article but can't get it to attach on here. Maybe I should have finally paid Muriel after 25 years on the DL..

by Anonymousreply 40September 11, 2021 8:31 PM

I hate/hated GWBs policies, but I rarely thought that he wasn't carrying out what he thought was best for the country. I didn't agree with his vision at all, and his vision has clearly been proven wrong by history.

That's a clear difference between him and Trump. I never once believed that Trump thought he was doing what was best for the country. Ever. I think that's why history will be kinder to GWB than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 41September 11, 2021 8:32 PM

Exactly R41. Bush had good intentions but Dump was in it for money and sold us out.

by Anonymousreply 42September 11, 2021 8:34 PM

Bush first let his feelings known about Trump at DJT's inauguration when he is reported to have said about Trump's call to fascism speech - "What the fuck was that?" and "That's some weird shit."

I agree with R37. There are many politicians to dislike from both parties. Bush had some evil policies. Do did Clinton, Kennedy and to a lesser extent - even Barack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 11, 2021 8:39 PM

[quote] Exactly [R41]. Bush had good intentions but Dump was in it for money and sold us out.

GW Bush is not a “good” person, nor did he have “good intentions.”

by Anonymousreply 44September 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Bush thought he was doing his best R44 abd he didn't cozy up to dictators and plot to fleece the American public and sell state secrets to Russians.

by Anonymousreply 45September 11, 2021 8:46 PM

Saying Bush is better than Trump is not reason enough to redeem him. He has shown no remorse, no contrition. The only thing he regretted was “mission accomplished” which actually is probably the mistake that did the least amount damage to other people.

by Anonymousreply 46September 11, 2021 8:51 PM

Fanatic Islamists we’re killing Americans on their soil; Bush moved the battlefront to the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 47September 11, 2021 8:51 PM

No rehab. Not for this one. Or Nixon. Or RR.

by Anonymousreply 48September 11, 2021 8:52 PM

What kind and wise words has the human dumpster uttered today regarding 9-11? Oh, that's right, they're losers because they died.

by Anonymousreply 49September 11, 2021 8:54 PM

I didn't watch but did Dubya get handsy with Kamala? I think he likes the dark meat (Michelle O., Condi). And Pickles Bush and her WASP-y pussy likely hasn't put out for him in decades.

by Anonymousreply 50September 11, 2021 8:55 PM

I'll drink to that. It's 5 o'clock somewhere! * hiccup*

by Anonymousreply 51September 11, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote] Bush thought he was doing his best [R44] abd he didn't cozy up to dictators and plot to fleece the American public and sell state secrets to Russians.

Please stop trying to make excuses for Bush. The fact that he’s not Trump does not make him “good” nor does it excuse his horrible presidency.

by Anonymousreply 52September 11, 2021 9:01 PM

I hated Bush when he was President - hated him - compared to what Trump turned the Presidency into, Bush is like a King. I can never forgive any American that voted for the Orange menace and helped push us closer to a second civil war. That uneducated, crass, disgusting oaf is probably having his first layer of Orange foundation applied in preparation for the low class boxing match he’s commentating on later today. A former President, presiding over a low class primal fight, in Hollywood, Florida…on the 20th anniversary of 9/11….my mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 53September 11, 2021 9:04 PM

I'm not R52. I stated my opinion. You have yours. Quit arguing.

by Anonymousreply 54September 11, 2021 9:07 PM

Who is this RINO piece of shit???

He's totally irrelevant.

Viva Trump!!!

by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2021 9:08 PM

The Bush revisionism is insane. Do those of you praising him have amnesia?

No, he wasn't as bad as Trump. So what? Cancer isn't as bad as burning to death.

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote]While Bush is by no means squeaky clean or a saint, he has grown into somewhat of a statesman.

WHAT fucking planet are you on? Bush has been out of office for 12 years and hasn't said a thing. Sitting at an augural smirking and fussing with a poncho does not make him a statesman. Someone must have told him he had to make an appearance at the 20th Ann of 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2021 9:17 PM

It's when you read a thread like this that you realize the immense stupidity of the so-called Democrats on this website. They spend all their time accusing everyone of being right winger or a racist, nazi, fascist, whenever you disagree with them on any topics, but if Biden gives them permission then suddenly Bush who lied about chemical weapons and other pathetic lies issued by his administration, is patronized and adored. Beware of people who hang around this website all day pretending to be Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2021 9:17 PM

R2 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2021 9:18 PM

Put it another way...Bush may have been bad but I never got the feeling he hated this country and was unpatriotic. Trump is an outright traitor.

Can you understand that? The world isn't black and white. Everyone has good and bad. Everyone but Trump who is just bad all around.

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote] Sitting at an augural smirking

Did he scoff at what was predicted?

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote]Anybody know who wrote it for him?

Oh gee? I don’t know?!

by Anonymousreply 62September 11, 2021 9:21 PM

R60 Oh my! Suddenly the world is not black or white? According to you all, when someone has another point of view than yours, you are a nazi and there, because it suits with your agenda, the world is not black or white? You are becoming more and more discredited every day.

by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2021 9:25 PM

R60, we can't be the thought police. Whether Bush loved or hated the country is not my concern. Patriotic - unpatriotic blah blah blah.

BOTH Bush and Trump got out of going to Vietnam. So did Clinton and Biden. Are you really going to concern yourself with what's going on in the minds of these people? And USE THAT to deem which one or the other are patriotic thinkers, whatever the fuck that means?

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote] According to you all, when someone has another point of view than yours, you are a nazi

Only if one starts a duplicate thread.

by Anonymousreply 65September 11, 2021 9:26 PM

Kinda had a Peggy Noonan flair to it.

by Anonymousreply 66September 11, 2021 9:28 PM

R5 The so-called Dems on this website would even cheer for Hitler if Obama and Biden told them to. They don't care about his crime against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 67September 11, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote][R30] - when did Bush criticize Trump by name. Answer: Never.

Bush didn’t vote for Trump. And that’s really all that matters in a democracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 11, 2021 9:28 PM

R63 wtf are you babbling about? You are looking for a fight. Go troll 4chan or reddit for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 69September 11, 2021 9:28 PM

"In their determination to defile national symbols they are children of the same foul spirit..."

He did not write this.

by Anonymousreply 70September 11, 2021 9:29 PM

Americans are viewed as 'evil' across the world.

Why isn't this understood?

by Anonymousreply 71September 11, 2021 9:29 PM

Trump says the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan were our stupidest wars. That’s enough for me to take the opposing view.

by Anonymousreply 72September 11, 2021 9:29 PM

Duplicate thread??? R65 Can you be more explicit please?

by Anonymousreply 73September 11, 2021 9:30 PM

Only because he wasn't personally profiting R72.

by Anonymousreply 74September 11, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote] Americans are viewed as 'evil' across the world.

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 11, 2021 9:33 PM

R69 Lol Oh now i am a 4chan or reddit user? LMAO when your argument are inexistant, you always put people in your imaginary boxes. People see you for who you really are now. I'm not looking for a fight, I'm exposing your great hypocrisy and you can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 76September 11, 2021 9:34 PM

I get the feeling that moat of the posters bashing him are MagAssholes. They strongly dislike anybody who manages to have even a modicum of decorum.

by Anonymousreply 77September 11, 2021 9:42 PM

Bored foreign trolls today.

by Anonymousreply 78September 11, 2021 9:44 PM

R77 Oh the "nazi-right-wing-magaassholes" is coming back when in ffact, they are the ones praising a criminal hahaha unbelievable how stupid some so called Dems are

by Anonymousreply 79September 11, 2021 9:46 PM

^^in fact

by Anonymousreply 80September 11, 2021 9:47 PM

Comment from one bored foreign troll from another thread.

[Quote]R20 Fascinating.... Hahahaha! Not even once do I say such a thing. Not once. I am talking about your inability to argue with people, who are also Dems but not Wokes like you, borderline Communists and categorize them as Trolls or racists or whatever. That's what kids do. And you can try all you want to put me in one of your boxes, I won't go in. Oh and I'm GAY and fuck you asshole,

by Anonymousreply 81September 11, 2021 9:53 PM

R81 One bored foreign who your govs have forcibly involved in YOUR wars and who has lost soldiers in your wars and who therefore has the right to speak, unlike to what some so-called Democrats on this website think. When Muriel decides to ban other countries from this website, you can complain about it. But I don't think this website belongs to you. As soon as we expose your contradictions, you start your witch hunts by going through old comments. This comment was telling the true. And you are proving me right with this thread.

by Anonymousreply 82September 11, 2021 9:58 PM

Bush was not a complicated figure. He did maybe two good things for the country and otherwise was one of the worst presidents in history... until Trump came along and moved the Overton Window so far that it distorts the scale of comparison. In the end, he didn't win either time he ran, but due to the racist anachronism of the Electoral College, was installed over the popular vote winner (and yes, I'm talking about 2000 [italic]and[/italic] 2004). He lied us into an unnecessary war, which ultimately lost us the war in Afghanistan. He presided over the financial collapse, and then stood back while Nancy Pelosi and Obama saved the world from a depression that would have made The Depression look like a walk in the park (which I guess we should be thankful for, as Bush realized Obama was going to win and so began the transfer of power largely before the election, unlike Trump who used what should have been a peaceful transition to surrender to the Taliban instead, muck up our withdrawal from Afghanistan, and incite an insurrection).

by Anonymousreply 83September 11, 2021 9:59 PM

A lot of naïveté on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 84September 11, 2021 10:09 PM

He wasn’t as effective as Trump. Hence the even greater hatred for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 85September 11, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] He wasn’t as effective as Trump. Hence the even greater hatred for Trump.

That's laughable. Trump didn't accomplish any of his purported policy goals other than a tax cut.

by Anonymousreply 86September 11, 2021 10:15 PM

R83, in truth it was the bailout package on the fall of ‘08 that’s credited with saving the banking industry & saving the economy. That - & nothing Obama could accomplish so soon in his administration- that explains why the recession - as recessions are defined - was officially over after the 1Q ‘09.

by Anonymousreply 87September 11, 2021 10:20 PM

I’m surprised no one has brought up Medicare Part D (especially considering how old DL supposedly skews).

Before Part D, many, MANY seniors were paying for their meds out of pocket. Medicare supplement plans didn’t cover them (and still don’t), and few Medicare Advantage plans did (and even if they did, the coverage was skimpy).

Bitch all you want about Iraq (and I myself do), but he did a great service for US seniors (and I’m 47 so I’m not one of them).

by Anonymousreply 88September 11, 2021 10:20 PM

R86 Like him or not, Trump started a movement and changed the culture. Bush had nowhere near that personal power. He got in office because of nepotism and started huge wars.

by Anonymousreply 89September 11, 2021 10:21 PM

Dubya was willfully blind to the legitimate terrorist threats that led up to the events of 9/11. He brought us into a war in Afghanistan but instead focused a bogus war with Iraq. And yet he deflected the fact that 15 of the terrorist were from Saudi Arabia. His administration's response to Hurricane Katrina was criminal. The deregulation under his presidency that led to the financial crisis of 2008. And yet by comparison even he was better than Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 90September 11, 2021 10:26 PM

[Quote]He wasn’t as effective as Trump

Bwahaha 🤣...Trump didn't get shit done except a tax cut for his rich buds. Trump bloviated incoherently and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 91September 11, 2021 10:29 PM

R89 he didn't start a culture. That culture was there. He just said okay and legitimized the cave dwellers and courted them allowing them to crawl out from the slime they'd been under.

by Anonymousreply 92September 11, 2021 10:31 PM

R92 didn’t say he started a culture.

by Anonymousreply 93September 11, 2021 10:37 PM

It's kind of frightening this thread. Trump and Bush are gone. Obama accomplished nothing and left the Supreme Court in a fucking mess for decades. Biden is the new LBJ and I'm shocked at how far he is willing to go, in a very good way. It's not his true nature. But he is seizing some greatness from his short time and gift presidency. He's got nuts. Timing counts. But so does ideology. Bush can never be great or even a good president. He's monumentally dumb. But, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, people just complimented his speech. He gave a beautiful speech right after 9/11 too. He's not evil hearted.

And Michelle Obama doesn't cozy up to overt racists - so George and Laura are ok there too. Personally Bush has a lot of charm. He didn't steal the election. The Republicans did. Bush is covered in blood. I believe he knows it. The USA revels in WAR. Don't pretend it doesn't. Operation Desert Storm by Stevie Nicks, ha.

Republicans are against all poor non white people. So there's that. But dems have become inflexible, judgy and hypocritical beyond belief. Never forget that Bill and Hillary attended Trump's wedding and she hosted Weinstein and he was many times a "guest" of Epstein. The Clintons are richer than George and Laura. And George was born rich.

Obama is a bit remote with George, as he should be. But they're all basically the same. No non psychotic wants to be president of the US. Jackie Kennedy sucked dick for jewelry and a healthy settlement too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 11, 2021 10:42 PM

R88, Medicare D was a good thing. The BAD part about it is that the Government did not negotiate down the drug prices. That means seniors and the gov pay MUCH more than they would have if Bush & Co had done the right thing. Republicans are afraid to offend ($) pharma.

by Anonymousreply 95September 11, 2021 10:49 PM

[quote]Obama is a bit remote with George, as he should be.

Obama is remote with everyone.

by Anonymousreply 96September 11, 2021 10:52 PM

Did Jimmy Carter make a statement?

by Anonymousreply 97September 11, 2021 10:55 PM

Here's the thing about W. His mother did a big number on him and he's not bright enough to get out from under her. Picture that if you will.

He ran for political office only to impress his dad and at her bidding. And now the bush political dynasty and name that he so believed in is under attack from Trump.

That's why he is speaking out against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 98September 12, 2021 3:23 AM

Dubya had to drive Mommy Dearest Bar to the hospital when she miscarried (with fetus in a Mason jar, no less). Poppy Bush was absent so Georgie had to fill the husband role. It was shit like this that made his psyche really, really damaged. It's a miracle he didn't turn out to be Norman Bates (And they didn't grieve when his little sister died, Poppy and Bar were good WASPs and went and played golf instead)

by Anonymousreply 99September 12, 2021 4:06 AM

Every word of R99s post is untrue and mean of spirit. If anything the Bushes made too much public about the loss of their children. Jackie Kennedy went off and fucked Onassis in a throuple with her sister when HER boy baby was born dead. Gay men don't really get to comment on these things. Allow women who lose children their own feelings and recounting of experience.

by Anonymousreply 100September 12, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote] Obama accomplished nothing and left the Supreme Court in a fucking mess for decades

Saving the economy, financial system reform and healthcare reform (2 things that were thought to be impossible) perhaps are “nothing.” However, they are much larger accomplishments than many presidents ever achieve. Trump spent his first yr undoing President Obama’s achievements. Yet, fucking idiots like you, show up and claim President Obama accomplished nothing.

In terms of the SCOTUS, President Obama made 2 appointments (which led to legal gay marriage)and Republicans blocked a 3rd appointment. He didn’t leave the Court “in a mess.” The voters who did not show up for the 2010 midterms (handing Congress to Republicans) did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 12, 2021 4:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 12, 2021 4:50 AM

I always respected him for the way he spoke his mind, was tough, and took no bullshit when 9/11 came. I some weird way, he to me is connected with history from having touched the wreckage at Ground Zero, kind of reminding me of how Jacqueline Kennedy always passed by with a sense of history from having been connected with her husband the President's assassination that occurred literally right beside her. I recalled thinking that had Clinton still been President, and later if it had been Obama, instead of Bush II after 9/11, we would have heard and witnessed a bunch of politically correct platitudes and pretty language. Liked him or what he stood for or did or else not, Bush got right to work and kicked ass after we were attacked, instead of encouraging and holding daisy-chain kumbaya circle gatherings with the nation.

by Anonymousreply 103September 12, 2021 5:02 AM

How would this had been handled had Al Gore been president at the time?

by Anonymousreply 104September 12, 2021 5:07 AM

Al Gore was a weak man. Who knows how he would have handled it. It was an astounding attack. Bush didn't manufacture the bad intelligence did he? I'm not sure, I was really young then.

I always think of Katrina as being his worst moment. He was close to Trump throwing paper towels during that time. The difference is that Bush was in shock and ill equipped. Fema, a disaster. Keep in mind that your fellow Americans voted him as President again - after the lie of Iraq and the catastrophic social, racial and systemic disaster of Katrina.

Democrats need a heroic persona to win elections. Republicans just need a smirking idiot who didn't fuck children. Al Gore was not a heroic persona. Al was robbed of that election, but he and Tippy were extremely lame. Oh, those bad rap lyrics. Gore probably would have appeared more compromised than Bush after 9/11. Nowhere near enough was made of HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

by Anonymousreply 105September 12, 2021 5:20 AM

If Al Gore had been President he would have heeded the warnings that Bush (really Cheney) willfully ignored.

Under President Gore, it's highly likely 9-11 would have never happened.

by Anonymousreply 106September 12, 2021 5:32 AM

^ridiculous^

by Anonymousreply 107September 12, 2021 5:49 AM

[quote] I always respected him for the way he spoke his mind, was tough, and took no bullshit when 9/11 came. I some weird way, he to me is connected with history from having touched the wreckage at Ground Zero, kind of reminding me of how Jacqueline Kennedy always passed by with a sense of history from having been connected with her husband the President's assassination that occurred literally right beside her. I recalled thinking that had Clinton still been President, and later if it had been Obama, instead of Bush II after 9/11, we would have heard and witnessed a bunch of politically correct platitudes and pretty language. Liked him or what he stood for or did or else not, Bush got right to work and kicked ass after we were attacked, instead of encouraging and holding daisy-chain kumbaya circle gatherings with the nation.

Thanks for that bit of rambling Republican mythology bullshit. He got right to work alright. After 9/11, Bush (former cheerleader and former cocaine addict), lied us into a pointless trillion dollar war that enriched his cronies. That’s your definition of “tough.” President Obama is the president who actually caught Osama bin Laden, not GW Bush.

You identify and connect with Bush because he’s a moron, just like you.

by Anonymousreply 108September 12, 2021 5:54 AM

The Clinton-Gore Administration treated terrorism as a mere problem of criminal law.

by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2021 5:55 AM

Lmao r2.

by Anonymousreply 110September 12, 2021 5:56 AM

This notion that Bush/Cheney lied us into war is the BIG LIE that preceded Trump’s BIG LIE. The intelligence of EVERY single government - including that of the French - believed that Saddam had WMDs.

by Anonymousreply 111September 12, 2021 5:58 AM

[quote] The Clinton-Gore Administration treated terrorism as a mere problem of criminal law.

Do you think the U.S. should now treat domestic terrorism as something beyond mere criminal law? Why or why not?

by Anonymousreply 112September 12, 2021 6:03 AM

[quote] This notion that Bush/Cheney lied us into war is the BIG LIE that preceded Trump’s BIG LIE. The intelligence of EVERY single government - including that of the French - believed that Saddam had WMDs.

In October 2002, Bush said that Saddam Hussein had a “massive stockpile” of biological weapons. But as CIA Director George Tenet noted in early 2004, the CIA had informed policymakers it had “no specific information on the types or quantities of weapons agent or stockpiles at Baghdad’s disposal.” The “massive stockpile” was just literally made up.

In December 2002, Bush declared, “We do not know whether or not [Iraq] has a nuclear weapon.” That was not what the National Intelligence Estimate said. As Tenet would later testify, “We said that Saddam did not have a nuclear weapon and probably would have been unable to make one until 2007 to 2009.” Bush did know whether or not Iraq had a nuclear weapon — and lied and said he didn’t know to hype the threat.

On CNN in September 2002, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice claimed that aluminum tubes purchased by Iraq were “only really suited for nuclear weapons programs.” This was precisely the opposite of what nuclear experts at the Energy Department were saying; they argued that not only was it very possible the tubes were for nonnuclear purposes but that it was very likely they were too. Even more dire assessments about the tubes from other agencies were exaggerated by administration officials — and in any case, the claim that they’re “only really suited” for nuclear weapons is just false.

On numerous occasions, Vice President Dick Cheney cited a report that 9/11 conspirator Mohamed Atta had met in Prague with an Iraqi intelligence officer. He said this after the CIA and FBI concluded that this meeting never took place. More generally on the question of Iraq and al-Qaeda, on September 18, 2001, Rice received a memo summarizing intelligence on the relationship, which concluded there was little evidence of links. Nonetheless, Bush continued to claim that Hussein was “a threat because he’s dealing with al-Qaeda” more than a year later.

In August 2002, Cheney declared, “Simply stated, there’s no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction.” But as Corn notes, at that time there was “no confirmed intelligence at this point establishing that Saddam had revived a major WMD operation.” Gen. Anthony Zinni, who had heard the same intelligence and attended Cheney’s speech, would later say in a documentary, “It was a total shock. I couldn’t believe the vice president was saying this, you know? In doing work with the CIA on Iraq WMD, through all the briefings I heard at Langley, I never saw one piece of credible evidence that there was an ongoing program.”

The Bush administration on numerous occasions exaggerated or outright fabricated conclusions from intelligence in its public statements. Bush really did lie, and people really did die as a result of the war those lies were meant to build a case for. Those are the facts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 12, 2021 6:07 AM

I don’t deny that, as political actors, the Bush administration cherry-picked & exaggerated the intelligence, but the fact is that the universal intelligence throughout the world agreed that Saddam possessed WMDs.

by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2021 6:14 AM

No matter what the snarkers say.

That was excellent. That was presidential.

by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2021 6:14 AM

[quote] This notion that Bush/Cheney lied us into war is the BIG LIE that preceded Trump’s BIG LIE. The intelligence of EVERY single government - including that of the French - believed that Saddam had WMDs.

[quote] I don’t deny that, as political actors, the Bush administration cherry-picked & exaggerated the intelligence,

That’s called lying. Which is what you are doing about your own posts.

Bottom line: Bush lied. He and his administration lied us into a trillion dollar war. Hundreds of thousands of people died and Bush’s cronies greatly profited.

by Anonymousreply 116September 12, 2021 6:23 AM

[quote] No matter what the snarkers say. That was excellent. That was presidential.

There will be no rehabilitation for GW Bush.

by Anonymousreply 117September 12, 2021 6:27 AM

What would a president Gore have done differently in response to such a massive assault on American soil? We have a sense of what a president Biden or Hillary Clinton would’ve done by virtue of their votes to sanction regime change in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 118September 12, 2021 6:35 AM

R117, it's not about GW. It is about the speech and the message. It is about First Principles, not about personal politics.

by Anonymousreply 119September 12, 2021 6:35 AM

Like Carter, who didn't do too well as a President....I like him much better as a person. Bush wasn't popular as POTUS, though he did serve two terms...but once out of office, he's led a pretty quiet life, enjoying his hobbies and not interjecting his opinions on current Presidents...well, maybe trump, but very little. He's joined other former Presidents in humanitarian causes. He's basically a good human being...with flaws like all of us, but I think he has decency. The people who surrounded him when he served...such as Cheney and Rumsfeld, didn't do him any favors. He had bad influences.

by Anonymousreply 120September 12, 2021 1:07 PM

The sheer fucking gall of Bush to give this speech. I’m shocked at the defenses of him on here. Why, because he’s making noise that’s good for your “team”? Ugh. Ptooey.

by Anonymousreply 121September 12, 2021 1:27 PM

Did you not vote for the "complicit" Hillary & Biden, R121?! If you did, please spare us your sanctimoniousness.

by Anonymousreply 122September 12, 2021 1:43 PM

R122 They we’re indeed complicit, thanks for the reminder.

by Anonymousreply 123September 12, 2021 1:49 PM

[quote]He ran for political office only to impress his dad and at her bidding

Bush ran for political office because he couldn't hold a regular job. He was a drunk until he was 40, and existed on a trust fund. HW got Jr "jobs" on the board of companies, where he would show up at meetings and make jokes. He was a real LOSER. I'm not saying he wasn't trying to impress Daddio, or that Mother didn't pressure him to try politics, but know what an aimless horse's ass Bush was/is.

by Anonymousreply 124September 12, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote] I always respected him for the way he spoke his mind

What mind??!???!????????

The dude is dumber than shit. Cheney ran that show

by Anonymousreply 125September 12, 2021 2:38 PM

It seems a lot of you youngsters know very little of George W Bush or the Bush presidency. To start, know that Bush had to be pushed into running for president in 2000 - he was drafted by the Republican party because he was a "good campaigner." That's it. Even people I knew who were Republicans, and always voted Republican, told me they weren't worried after Bush was elected because Cheney would be running the show.

by Anonymousreply 126September 12, 2021 2:48 PM

If you hate Trump but praise Bush in any way, you have completely missed the plot. “Good speech” or not. Fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 127September 12, 2021 3:02 PM

i assume most of the posters on here weren't alive during the 2000 election. People forget Al Gore was probably as far to the right as Dubya. FFS Gore chose Lieberman as his Veep. This is why so many people voted for Nader.

Gore or Prince Albert as he was known, was an insufferable, arrogant rich kid. His climate change activism came late in the day. Before that, he was a total blank of a politician, totally devoid of Clinton's charisma. He loathed Clinton for the Lewinsky scandal and refused to allow Clinton to campaign for him and so was unable to get the black vote out like Clinton had.

A friend of mine (a Democrat who was only slightly closeted at the time - he said all his co-workers knew he was gay and nobody gave him a hard time about it) worked almost directly for Dubya when he was Governor of Texas. He said Dubya was a kind person who ran for Gov to 'avenge' his Daddy. Same reason he ran for Prez. He had no interest in either job and just wanted to run a baseball team.

Had George HW won a second term, Dubya would have stuck with baseball. The sins of the father.. And Al Gore's ambitions were also fostered by his Senator father's failure to get traction to run for President.

by Anonymousreply 128September 12, 2021 3:29 PM

[quote] He's basically a good human being...with flaws like all of us, but I think he has decency. The people who surrounded him when he served...such as Cheney and Rumsfeld, didn't do him any favors. He had bad influences.

He appointed terrible people (with whom he agreed) because he is a terrible person. The Republican Party is terrible. No rehabilitation for GW Bush. Behaving like a cartoon character does not exempt him from being held accountable.

by Anonymousreply 129September 12, 2021 3:32 PM

R129 we are currently faced with the destruction of the Republic thanks to Rupert Murdoch and his puppet Trump. The midterms will decide if our country continues to limp along as a democracy or turns into an authoritarian dictatorship. We need to separate "conservatives" from radical reactionary fascists currently running way too many statehouses.

Texas is the key to destroying the GOP. If the GOP loses Texas, they're dead in the water. Which is why the fascist statehouse enacted voter suppression bills.

Dubya remains popular among Texas Republicans. If he can put his thumb on the scale and get the less reactionary/historically Republican voters to deny votes to Trumpsters in 2022 and 2024, he will have accomplished a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 130September 12, 2021 3:39 PM

Bush knew he stole his first presidential election and it colored the way he governed his entire presidency.

Trump knew he stole his election and it colored the way he governed his entire presidency.

by Anonymousreply 131September 12, 2021 3:39 PM

Y'all can bitch about Bush all you want but he was still better than 🍊 💩.

by Anonymousreply 132September 12, 2021 3:48 PM

As razor-close the decisive Florida was in 2000, there was no way whoever didn’t prevail would claim other than that the election was stolen.

by Anonymousreply 133September 12, 2021 3:49 PM

Even after all the impeachment bullshit, Clinton was very popular when he left office with a high approval rating. Gore, rather than exploiting that, separated himself from Clinton like a prig, he was too prissy to want to associate himself with a guy who chased tail. He was the worst campaigner: wooden and totally uninspiring. People didn't like him. Gore's loss was Gore's own fault. And then he flounced off and disappeared for years and got divorced.

by Anonymousreply 134September 12, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] . We need to separate "conservatives" from radical reactionary fascists currently running way too many statehouses. Texas is the key to destroying the GOP. If the GOP loses Texas, they're dead in the water. Which is why the fascist statehouse enacted voter suppression bills. Dubya remains popular among Texas Republicans. If he can put his thumb on the scale and get the less reactionary/historically Republican voters to deny votes to Trumpsters in 2022 and 2024, he will have accomplished a miracle.

The current Republican Party is a MAGA cult. Trump is the leader. Republican. GW Bush was nationally historically unpopular; when he left office. No Republicans wanted to be associated with him. The vast majority of Republicans worship Trump. GW Bush and the Bush family have no power and no influence over Republicans. No one who rejects Trump does.

by Anonymousreply 135September 12, 2021 4:08 PM

So...I guess Jeb won't try to run again?

by Anonymousreply 136September 12, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote] So...I guess Jeb won't try to run again?

Jeb and now his son are both punchlines.

by Anonymousreply 137September 12, 2021 4:23 PM

Fuck W. Bush. He was an imbecile who never should've been president and was a total disaster. His image rehabilitation as some kind of elder statesman/everybody's favorite uncle is vomit-inducing. He and his administration did so much damage.

by Anonymousreply 138September 12, 2021 4:27 PM

R134, it was Clinton’s very low personal approval ratings that made Gore’s decision to keep him off the campaign trail. And informed his choice of Lieberman as his running mate.

by Anonymousreply 139September 12, 2021 4:31 PM

r94/r99 = "ancient white fags" troll

by Anonymousreply 140September 12, 2021 4:38 PM

Sorry r105 not r99 is the ancient white fags troll

by Anonymousreply 141September 12, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote]Gore or Prince Albert as he was known

Not on Planet Earth, dear.

[quote]People forget Al Gore was probably as far to the right as Dubya

Al Gore was not a drafted nominee under the control of the Republican Party. BIG fucking difference.

by Anonymousreply 142September 12, 2021 4:47 PM

[quote] They we’re indeed

by Anonymousreply 143September 12, 2021 7:11 PM

R111 "This notion that Bush/Cheney lied us into war is the BIG LIE that preceded Trump’s BIG LIE. The intelligence of EVERY single government - including that of the French - believed that Saddam had WMDs. "

Horseshit. The overwhelming majority of intelligence said that the only WMDs they had was stale and now ineffective chemical weapons that the US gave them 20 years earlier. Cheney and he other Bush cohorts cherry-picked obviously dubious and uncorroborated claims that were easily debunked and ignored all the valid intelligence. Even Colin Powell didn't believe but like a good solider went in front of the UN and willingly told what he knew to be lies.

by Anonymousreply 144September 12, 2021 8:09 PM

Anybody with an IQ above room temperature knew that Iraq was no threat to the US. It was a shameless war to enrich the US military/industrial complex and W. to work out his daddy issues. The whole war was a criminal enterprise.

I think some of you may be too young to really remember those times.

by Anonymousreply 145September 12, 2021 8:12 PM

I’ve heard of Pound Town.

But Shanksville, really?

by Anonymousreply 146September 12, 2021 8:53 PM

R144 the fault lies heavily with Tony Blair. Blair was in office before Bush was. He'd developed a close relationship to Clinton and segued straight into a close relationship with Bush. Blair was a master manipulator, Bush looked on him as a leader with considerable experience and relied too much on him.

by Anonymousreply 147September 13, 2021 1:14 AM

Tony Blair is hated in Britain. HATED.

by Anonymousreply 148September 13, 2021 1:22 AM

W did more damage to the US and world than Al Qaeda and the Taliban by many orders of magnitude. The fact he and his administration were never held accountable for their actions is one of the greatest injustices of modern times.

by Anonymousreply 149September 13, 2021 1:38 AM

Amen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 13, 2021 1:38 PM

Nobody's arguing that Dubya was a good President. He was crap. But his refusal to attack Obama after leaving office, his repeated criticisms of Trump and now his tying 9/11 to 1/6 is very significant in the era of Trumpism when Republicans cower in fear of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 151September 13, 2021 4:02 PM

WHAT repeated criticisms of Trump, R151? There were none.

by Anonymousreply 152September 13, 2021 5:51 PM

R152 can't attach links. Google Bush criticizes Trump - there's a lot. What you won't find is 'Bush criticizes Obama' because he never did.

"In stunning attack, George W. Bush rebukes Trump, suggesting he promotes falsehoods and prejudice"

BY MARK Z. BARABAKCOLUMNIST / LATimes OCT. 19, 2017

George W. Bush Condemns the Trump-Era Republican Party

"Former president George W. Bush addressed the nationwide protests in a solemn yet hopeful statement Tuesday, commending the Americans demonstrating against racial injustice and criticizing those who try to silence them. Bush closed his statement, which came a day after peaceful protesters were cleared by force to make way for President Trump to come outside, by pointing to a “better way.”" WaPo June 2, 2020

"George W. Bush Condemns the Trump-Era Republican Party" US News & World Report April 20, 2021

Trump just attacked Bush for his condemnation in Shanksville of Trump's terrorists.

by Anonymousreply 153September 13, 2021 10:16 PM

Stop rehabilitating this war criminal's public image. He is to blame for much of the past 20 years, up to and including the rise of Trump and Trumpism.

by Anonymousreply 154September 13, 2021 10:43 PM

Every poster who calls Bush a war criminal should also include in his/her/its post whether he/she/they voted for Clinton and Biden the last two elections.

by Anonymousreply 155September 13, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote]The fact he made an appearance at the Biden Inaugural ceremony was a bold move.

Oh shut the fuck up R16, you ignorant moron. A peaceful transition of power with bipartisan support is literally the lowest bar for an ex-President to clear. There was nothing remotely "bold" about it.

Seriously, this Trump-Lite fascist war criminal who tried to enshrine homophobia into our constitution as an election-year stunt for votes literally just **shows up** and you're over hear proclaiming it "a bold move." I'm [italic]embarrassed [/italic]for you.

by Anonymousreply 156September 13, 2021 10:48 PM

given the attacks on Dubya on twitter, I suspect you diehard 'war criminal' posters are actually Trumpsters

by Anonymousreply 157September 13, 2021 10:55 PM

R157, you might want to steer clear of MSNBC now since it had many voices praising Bush.

by Anonymousreply 158September 13, 2021 11:27 PM

Trump didn't attend the 9/11 remembrances because he is working hard on building his presidential library.

by Anonymousreply 159September 14, 2021 1:38 PM

For the Bush lovers -

"In 2002, Bush said that the Senate, then controlled by Democrats, was “not interested in the security of the American people.” In 2004, he made his opposition to same-sex marriage a centerpiece of his campaign, weaponizing anti-gay prejudice to mobilize his conservative supporters. Ahead of the 2006 midterm elections, he denounced the Democratic Party as “soft” on terrorism and unable to defend the United States."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 14, 2021 5:54 PM

I'm wondering if the Bush defenders on here are too young to really remember his presidency. He was a fucking disaster.

by Anonymousreply 161September 14, 2021 6:02 PM

Yes, sort of like Jimmy Carter (who I voted for), R161. Carter was a nice man, but a shitty micromanager president.

by Anonymousreply 162September 14, 2021 6:05 PM

Oh for heaven's sake. It is not a defense of Bush. It is praise of a speech. A damn good speech.

I personally can separate the message from the messenger in this situation. it's not like we are being asked to trust his intel - it's a rah rah unifying speech. Period.

Tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 163September 14, 2021 6:05 PM

If dubya can split the GOP, separating it from Trump, he's OK in my book

by Anonymousreply 164September 14, 2021 6:29 PM

What R163 said. I remember his presidency and I remember thinking "what a dipshit" when he spoke but he's far superior to the festering turd that is Trump. His speech was good. If it was between him and Dump, I'd pick Bush.

by Anonymousreply 165September 14, 2021 6:37 PM

A good speech, R163. A good speech written by others. Any moron could do that.

by Anonymousreply 166September 14, 2021 10:29 PM

Not any other Republican would though R166 - that's the whole point.

by Anonymousreply 167September 14, 2021 11:07 PM

A Republican OUT OF OFFICE would, R167.

by Anonymousreply 168September 14, 2021 11:10 PM

Don't forget us, R168.

by Anonymousreply 169September 14, 2021 11:14 PM

It’s certain that Biden could not have delivered that speech as thoughtfully as Bush did. That was a presidential moment and Biden chose a pre-recorded infomercial…yuck

by Anonymousreply 170September 15, 2021 12:18 AM

Two, eh, R169? HA!

by Anonymousreply 171September 15, 2021 1:29 AM

R170 = teenager, evidence "yuck"

by Anonymousreply 172September 15, 2021 1:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!