Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good look at Clive Owen as Clinton and Edie Falco as Hillary in "Impeachment"

Owen is wearing the weirdest putty nose ever, and Falco sounds like she is doing nothing to hide her Brooklyn accent and substitute Hillary's Chicago accent for it.

We also get looks at Margo Martindale as Lucianne Godlberg, Ryan Murphy fave Annaleigh Ashford as Paula Jones, and Mira Sorvino as Monica's mother Marcia Lewis, not to mention Beanie Feldstein is a tight dress as Monica Lewinsky and Sarah Paulson as Linda Tripp (but we've seen the latter two before).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2021 7:13 PM

I always feel Sorvino had the worst career luck because of Weinstein's abuse. She should have been able to do better--she was beautiful, she can act, and she's connected because of her father.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 4:32 PM

Every clip I have seen of this shit looks like bad parody. Nobody looks like they should. The makeup is really bad. Fitting that Beanie is named after food.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2021 4:38 PM

Clive Owen forgets Rule #1 of doing an accent:

There are two parts to doing an accent, the way the words are pronounced AND the song (or the melody) in which the words are formed into sentences.

He doesn't get the Southern flow of words.

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2021 4:46 PM

I'm so unclear why Murphy has gone in this direction with his casting. Previously when he's done biographical miniseries he found people who genuinely looked like the people he cast in the parts, like "The People vs. OJ Simpson," "Feud," and "The Assassination of Gianni Versace."

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2021 5:21 PM

Margo Martindale nails it in every role she plays; every scene, every time.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2021 5:29 PM

In no way do Lange and Sarandon look like Crawford and Davis. Faye Dunaway looked more like Crawford than Lange ever could.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2021 5:59 PM

The only time I've ever seen Falco try to hide her natural Brooklyn accent was in a 1997 pilot of a TV version of FARGO that was going to be on CBS but wasn't picked up. The pilot was shown in the summer of 2003.

Falco played Marge and tried to do an accent similar to McDormand's from the film, and did OK. Unfortunately the pilot was weak and the show wasn't picked up, which was just as well.

The creators of the more recent Fargo series were smart to evoke the original film but with different plots and characters.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2021 6:06 PM

They should have found someone who looks closer to Monica. She’s actually quite pretty, this girl is not.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2021 6:07 PM

The first episode was pretty good, but what the hell is up with the lighting? Every scene is so dimly lit and shadowy, I feel like I sometimes have to squint to see what the hell is going on.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 11:26 AM

Sorvino is disgusting. She got an Oscar for working on a movie directed by a pedophile and only got opportunities because of who her dad was yet that’s not good enough. Whiner.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 11:30 AM

Clive Owen is a great actor!

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 12:12 PM

I think Clive Owen is a great choice. Just like Bill Clinton, he's not classically handsome but he oozes raw charisma. Everyone else looks like shit though.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 12:17 PM

He is talented, so he doesn't have to be that handsome.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 1:14 PM

Beanie Feldstein is really miscast as Monica. Not only is she waaay too fat (Monica was chunky, but not obese), but she plays Monica as some sad, dumpy misfit. Monica was anything but.

I will say, however, that Annaleigh Ashford as Paula Jones is spot on.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 1:51 PM

They might as well have gotten Streisand to play Hillary. Lord have mercy.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 2:26 PM

I'm a huge fan of Clive Owen but sorry to say charisma isn't enough here. He's never been able to shed his British speech pattern (intonation) when playing 'American', all the way back to Derailed.

If you just listen with your eyes closed to the one sentence he says at the end of the first episode as Clinton, you won't say, that's an American talking, least of all that's a Clinton portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 4:57 PM

Beanie Feldstein is horribly miscast. It's not just the physical lack of resemblance. Her mannerisms and voice are so child-like. Monica never presented like that.

They should have just used a toddler in roller skates if they wanted to infantilize her like that.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 11:31 PM

R17 Exactly. See R14.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 11:34 PM

What is is with Ryan Murphy and trying to present JAPs in a favorable light?

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 11:35 PM

Monica was quite pretty, Beanie is a fat ugly pig who looks like her brother in drag. I can't imagine any man wanting his cock sucked by that hog.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 11:58 PM

That's what they said about the maid but..

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 12:02 AM

In the Pentagon scene at the end of the first episode, Monica came across like she was dying to boast about shtupping the POTUS. The coy silences and eye flickers, and the complete non-reaction to a random coworker unceremoniously flipping through her private diary.

I couldn't say if it was intentional or just Beanie trying to play 'naive Monica'.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 12:17 AM

Travolta did a good "Clinton" in "Primary Colors". He didn't use any impersonation schtick, but the characterization rang true.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 12:24 AM

Who decided it was a good idea to shoot this series in the dark? I mean, what the fuck is up with that?

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2021 8:03 AM

Sarah Paulson steals every scene she is in. She looks nothing like the blob that was Linda Tripp, but her performance is engaging. She is acting circles around the others. She has the cunty Karen act down cold.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2021 8:08 AM

[quote]They should have found someone who looks closer to Monica. She’s actually quite pretty, this girl is not.

I was thinking that too. I'm no big fan of Monica, but she should be upset, telling everyone who will listen "I WAS FAT BUT NEVER *THAT* FAT!"

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2021 11:14 AM

R25 I think she looks a lot like Linda, ratty hair, bad glasses, Lane Bryant fashion. But even more than that, the way Paulson physically embodies the role - her hunched back, her heavy gait, her facial expressions - it's perfect.

I agree, though, that Beanie was a terrible choice for Monica, not only because Beanie is morbidly obese and not remotely attractive, but because she plays Monica like some naive waif from flyover land, and not a shrewd opportunist from Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2021 11:23 AM

And you're blaming Beanie for that? Isn't Murphy in bed with Lewinsky?

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2021 4:35 PM

Beanie is not morbidly obese. Sorry.

She's fatter than Chubby Monica was, but she's just fat. Morbidly obese is a whole other level--that's what Tess Holliday and Lizzo are.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2021 5:09 PM

Monica is a producer of this

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2021 5:19 PM

Beanie's BMI is definitely over 30, so she's at a minimum obese.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2021 5:50 PM

R28 Who's blaming Beanie for the portrayal? All I'm saying is that her portrayal isn't an accurate portrayal of Monica.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2021 5:52 PM

Emma Roberts could have played Paula Jones perfectly; with very little makeup.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2021 6:00 PM

[Quote] Beanie was a terrible choice for Monica

That puts the blame squarely on Beanie, when Lewinsky is part of this production...

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2021 6:00 PM

R34 How does that put the blame on Beanie?

Beanie, are you R34?

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2021 6:58 PM

[Quote] How does that put the blame on Beanie?

Because the problem is interpretation - the naive girl vs. how you see Lewinsky and think she should be played. "Beanie = the wrong choice" suggest miscasting, which is a different issue.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2021 7:01 PM

Beanie was miscast, definitely. But that's not her fault. That's production's fault.

And that's because she's physically wrong for the part. That's not Beanie's fault. I don't why you can't understand that. Unless you're actually Beanie and you're taking personal offense.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2021 7:04 PM

Angela Bassett looks nothing like Tina Turner. Your assessment of Beanie's fuckability vs. Lewinsky's isn't universal truth. Lewinsky was not exceptional looking, and Beanie is not shit on your shoe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2021 7:15 PM

R38 Beanie is definitely shit on everyone's shoe.

Stubby-legged, cankled, obese, squeaky-voiced, thoroughly unattractive. She'd be great as one of the dress-making mice in a live action version of "Cinderella," but not as Monica Lewinsky, that's for sure

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2021 7:17 PM

Some glamor just can't be recreated, hon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2021 7:19 PM

Especially when you go out of your way to find terrible pictures of Monica. Nobody said she was Hedy Lamarr, but she wasn’t unattractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2021 7:31 PM

Beanie on the other hand is not attractive whatsoever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2021 7:34 PM

R42 She looks like she's smelling something bad. Like Linda Tripp's vagina.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2021 7:45 PM

I love it whenever Judith Light shows up in a series and chews the hell out of the scenery.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2021 3:20 PM

I wish she'd invest in good hair.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2021 7:57 PM

R45 Who?

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2021 8:04 PM

Judith Light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2021 8:46 PM

That's MIRA SORVINO?! Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2021 8:52 PM

Monica is a lot better looking today than she was years ago. She's definitely better looking than Beanie but she could look quite dowdy at times.

We might be able to get beyond the physical differences if Beanie would stop playing her like a clueless pre-teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2021 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!