Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remember when Rudy was the calming, stoic face of 9/11 that we all appreciated?

Jesus... what a mess he made of himself 20 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2021 3:40 AM

I'm from New York, and NO, I do not remember Giuliani being calming or anything like that.

I only remember the fucking fools who believed he was.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 3:35 PM

The combover was so blue that day

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2021 3:37 PM

How much of that "America's Mayor" stuff was felt in NYC itself? Did the entire city really love him after the attack?

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2021 3:38 PM

Nope. Born and raised NYC here and he was never calming or anything like that.

Only to Republicans.

I knew this and I was 15 that day.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2021 3:39 PM

What a difference 20 years makes.

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2021 3:41 PM

Everyone builds these politicians up to be Gods and downfall is brutal.

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2021 3:42 PM

Honestly, I always thought that Rudy was an asshole and I never understood the Saint Mayor Rudy treatment that he received post 9/11. Nothing much has changed, except for Rudy showing his true (hair) colors and most Americans finally understanding that he's a dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2021 3:44 PM

Don't forget Rudy insisted on putting the mayor's emergency control HQ in 7 WTC rather than in the Brooklyn location his security advisors wanted. He did this so he could sneak over to schtupp his then-whore, now ex-wife. And to lend the place to Bernie Kerik for his own extracurricular activities. #7 was destroyed in the attack, and the emergency HQ rendered useless on the day of the greatest emergency the city has known.

What a hero -not.

by Anonymousreply 8September 11, 2021 3:48 PM

He’s a piece of shit. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 9September 11, 2021 3:49 PM

Only people who are not from new York think of Rudy as America's mayor. We remember what a racist divisive right-wing asshole he was for 7 3/4 of his two terms.

by Anonymousreply 10September 11, 2021 3:49 PM

He sold his soul in a disastrous faustian pact

by Anonymousreply 11September 11, 2021 3:50 PM

R10 100%

He was trash but the rest of the world saw him as this top leader hero.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2021 3:50 PM

Most straight white transplants loved him. That may be part of why I am not a fan of them. They always love the worst.

by Anonymousreply 13September 11, 2021 3:51 PM

Rudy got lucky. New Yorkers hated him until then. And now they probably hate him all over again.

by Anonymousreply 14September 11, 2021 3:57 PM

His asshole personality was very good in that situation, he took charge and ordered people around etc.

by Anonymousreply 15September 11, 2021 3:59 PM

He shuttered all the great nightclubs of NYC, hated him.

by Anonymousreply 16September 11, 2021 4:00 PM

Why do people in new York that are detested and ignored by nyers get some national following? Doesn't it stand to reason we know them better than anyone in the rest of the country?

by Anonymousreply 17September 11, 2021 4:05 PM

New York media crowned him " America's Mayor." It didn't come from Peoria.

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2021 4:06 PM

EVERYBODY in NYC knew Giuliani was trash, they only "liked" him because things got better during his time as Mayor - even the Yankees won!

Things got better in New York - and everywhere - because the economy got better as it always does cyclically, it doesn't matter who is mayor, governor or president.

When tragedy hits, most people want to cling to "daddy," whether it be Giuliani or Bush, no matter how they felt about them before the tragedy. In NYC, there was some of that, and it was exploited by the media to look like more than what it was. I didn't know ANYONE who bought that shit because we knew what slime Rudy was before and after.

R17, it's very common for a politician in NY or elsewhere to be more popular OUTSIDE of their state.

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2021 4:07 PM

Because NYC mayors/governors are always at the forefront in everything because when tragedy happens NYC always gets it the worst because it’s an overpopulated city.

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2021 4:12 PM

In a way, Giuliani was the most corrupt man ever to serve as Mayor of New York City.

by Anonymousreply 21September 11, 2021 4:14 PM

Guiliani was one of the worst things to happen to NYC. I’m tired of the lie that he cleaned it up. Crime was already on the decline before he was elected. The mayor prior did most of that work.

What Guiliani did do was close down almost all gay spaces and clubs.

by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2021 4:18 PM

To anyone who says he cleaned it up, the obvious reply is "Bernie Kerik"

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2021 4:23 PM

Remember when those dumbass Mexicans hired Rudy to cleanup Mexico City? And that was BEFORE the kidnapping craze.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2021 4:24 PM

R6 uhhh….did your ignorant ass mean Andrew Cuomo? Gavin Newsom doesn’t belong on that list, you Republicunt turd.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2021 4:33 PM

R21, you need to read up on Mayor Jimmy Walker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2021 4:39 PM

Happy Birthday, R4

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2021 4:44 PM

Rudy’s decent from irritating dickishness pre-9/11 to total insanity since tracks America itself.

by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2021 4:53 PM

I was there on 9/11. RG is a flaming piece of shit.” Go back to work tomorrow!” “The trains will run tomorrow! Go to work “ Fuck HIM. Him and Dump. Dump was there to beat into the cameras and say “I now have the tallest building in New York!” Fuck them both.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2021 4:58 PM

*beam not beat.

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2021 4:59 PM

I'll never not believe that Rudy didn't, at the very least, know the attack was coming.

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2021 5:21 PM

They all knew r31 they just didn’t know when it would happen or how.

They had been receiving threats from Al-Qaeda for a while at that point.

by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2021 5:27 PM

He's always been a massive piece of shit. Just like Trump and George W. Bush has always been massive pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 33September 11, 2021 5:29 PM

I was never as offended by Bush as the other two. He’s just a moron. The other two are genuinely evil.

by Anonymousreply 34September 11, 2021 5:32 PM

I first saw this clip in about 2003 or 2004. It creeped me out then and it creeps me out even more today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 11, 2021 5:36 PM

R1 beat me to it. I don't remember that

It just goes to show, everything trump touches or is in his orbit, dies. Slowly

by Anonymousreply 36September 11, 2021 5:37 PM

He made millions on the backs of thousands of dead people. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 37September 11, 2021 5:45 PM

The reason so many Americans fell in love with Rudy 9/11 Giuliani was that he was (at least among) the first politicians who consoled the nation on that morning. It made him look far, far better a person than he actually was and is, and the folks in flyover country bonded with him in their "grief." Nevermind that he was otherwise despised. And he tried for a powergrab (9/11/01 was an election day in NY) when suggesting the election should be postponed... and he remain in office. Sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 38September 11, 2021 6:33 PM

I remember soooo many people in the 00s thought Giuliani should run for president (and they all thougth he would win). Imagine how horrible the country would be if he had won in 2008 or 2012?

by Anonymousreply 39September 11, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote] Rudy’s decent from irritating dickishness

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 40September 11, 2021 7:20 PM

[quote]The reason so many Americans fell in love with Rudy 9/11 Giuliani was that he was... the first politicians who consoled the nation on that morning

WHAT exactly did Giuliani say/do? I remember NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 41September 11, 2021 7:41 PM

I had forgotten about the mayoral election going on at the time. I do remember after the election Rudy’s trying to mug for the camera and get all the attention from Bloomberg. Mike Bloomberg never seemed to like Rudy. And that Bernie Kerik was a thug. Never trusted that guy.

What are NYers opinions of George Pataki in that time?

by Anonymousreply 42September 11, 2021 7:58 PM

Pataki was just there. I don't remember thinking much of him, he was just an upstate guy. I'll admit that I hated Giuliani less that day and a for a bit after. We were in shock, ok? I actually voted for Bloomberg for mayor. But, that was a primary election on 9/11. I know that I voted but can't remember who.

I remember looking at Sue Simmons, the anchor woman on channel 4, for some reassurance that evening but she looked very scared. You could see it in her eyes. I was always a fan of hers and thought, wow, she's as terrified as we are.

by Anonymousreply 43September 11, 2021 8:30 PM

Back in 1995 my father hired a guy from Connecticut to do some work on the roof of a house we'd bought from the Resolution Trust Corporation. Anyway I start talking to this guy and he says- Yeah, I like that mayor of NYC GOOGLIANI.

by Anonymousreply 44September 11, 2021 8:33 PM

No excuse, R43, unless you were under 21 and too dumb not to know better.

by Anonymousreply 45September 11, 2021 8:38 PM

R45, fuck off, it was a day like no other. I don't have to justify my feelings or feel guilty about how I reacted.

by Anonymousreply 46September 11, 2021 8:45 PM

I was there and we didn't like him before or after! He didn't do anything any other 1/2 way sentient big city mayor would have done.

by Anonymousreply 47September 11, 2021 8:49 PM

Rudy as America's Mayor was another Beltway Media creation and obsession. New Yorkers always knew he was a buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 48September 11, 2021 8:51 PM

Rudy, Bloomberg ,the EPA were all "get back to work" messenger boys/girls as dictated by their betters in the Bush WH.

The first reports on 9/11 from the EPA were the air has the toxicity of Drano and an hour later -nothing to worry about - the air is fine.

People are still dying because US citizens just like those in the ME can be sanitized and written off as collateral damage.

We've moved on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 11, 2021 8:52 PM

Oh, yeah, R49, I kind of remember all that.

by Anonymousreply 50September 11, 2021 8:54 PM

the America's Mayor thing was about people who hate New York pretending the city was part of the US again for political gain.

by Anonymousreply 51September 11, 2021 8:55 PM

R46 = ooooh soooo sensitive. Must have been 12 on 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 52September 11, 2021 8:57 PM

For a brief moment Rudy was a shining star like it or not. He provided the world with comforting words and a take no prisoners stance on 9/11. Similar to what Andrew Cuomo was during the pandemic. They both went on to lose their luster and shining star status in devastating downfalls.

by Anonymousreply 53September 11, 2021 9:03 PM

R49, yes I remember watching our EPA chief Christine Todd Whitman saying that the air quality was ok while the frontline workers are covered in asbestos and who knows whatever kind of soot. Even as a college student watching in lower Fairfield County could tell the air was horrible to breathe. I was livid hearing that.

Why hasn’t she been held accountable for saying that considering these people and dying and still suffering 20 years later? Despicable.

by Anonymousreply 54September 11, 2021 9:04 PM

R53, you have yet to post a link to Giuliani's "comforting words."

by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2021 9:05 PM

There were. NO comforting words. The media keeps spinning this as if RG didn’t yell “go to work tomorrow!!” “ the trains will run on time”. I remember Tony Blair actually has comforting words. I remember the jets over us for that 24 hours. We didn’t know if anymore explosions would happen. I remember for months after the air was dirty and I had nose bleeds from it. I remember the lying - saying the parks were great and not to be avoided! A small group of parents over by Hudson Park in Greenwich village paid for a private testing of the playground sand and it was full of fucking asbestos and other shit. Funny how Dump and RG bonded so quickly that day. They are both bathed in blood. Fuck them to hell.

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2021 9:12 PM

R52, no, I was about to turn 40. I thought I'd be honest here because of the anniversary. Am I proud that I gave him a pass? No. But I did respect the office and I did listen to him when he said go out and spend money. I still have crap I bought from a store in Times Square and stuff I got in Chinatown.

This is the t shirt I got..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2021 9:13 PM

I'm a New Yorker and these are my truths:

1) I alone knew Donald J. Trump was a scammer from the outset

2) I alone dismissed Rudy Giuliani in the aftermath of 9/11

3) When it rains in my city, or there is thunder and lightning, the world needs to hear about it!

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2021 9:17 PM

Funny how Christy Todd Whitman just faded from public view.

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2021 9:20 PM

She was all over MSNBC trashing Trump last years, R59.

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2021 9:31 PM

9/11 bought Rudy a limited amount of goodwill with NYers...for a very limited time.

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2021 9:37 PM

R53, “we are more determined then ever to live our life in freedom”…….Rudy Guiliani on 9/11. His take charge demeanor during that time helped him regain the trust of the country but for only a very BRIEF Time.

by Anonymousreply 62September 11, 2021 9:52 PM

Off topic but: No one can ever convince me that Judith Miller did NOT send herself white powder (faked anthrax) to promote herself and her newly published book, back in 2001.

by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2021 9:53 PM

Re Rudy: maybe it was syphilis? That can cause havoc with the mind. Degenerative brain disease and all.

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote]His take charge demeanor during that time helped him regain the trust of the country...

REGAIN? When was Giuliani liked and trusted by the country before 9/11? The country didn't know him.

by Anonymousreply 65September 11, 2021 11:00 PM

A lot of the country knew him from his mob prosecutions and press conferences.

He was the US Associate Attorney General and the Attorney General for NY’s Southern District. He was very high profile during the Gotti days.

by Anonymousreply 66September 11, 2021 11:13 PM

He was a guest star in the beloved Seinfeld episode about the fat-free frozen yogurt!

by Anonymousreply 67September 11, 2021 11:35 PM

R48 So why was he re-elected unlike his predecessor David Dinkins?

by Anonymousreply 68September 11, 2021 11:39 PM

He wasn’t hated. He was hated by some but more people liked him than didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 69September 11, 2021 11:40 PM

R61- I did NOT like Rudolph Giuliani but he was a FAR better leader in the days and weeks after September 11 than that MONKEY aka NITWIT JR in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 70September 12, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote]A lot of the country knew him from his mob prosecutions and press conferences

Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 71September 12, 2021 12:10 AM

Was he any worse than the 'Covid Governor' who droned on in daily televised addresses, made COVID about himself, won a now rescinded Emmy and made money from a book he wrote while sending recovering seniors back to the nursing homes to infect the most vulnerable population resulting in an estimated 13K dead?

by Anonymousreply 72September 12, 2021 1:05 AM

It's very interesting to read the local's opinion of Rudy during those dark days. I was 23, living in San Francisco on 9/11 and I, like everyone else, watched the tragedy unfold. I was not aware or Rudy before 9/11 happened and yes, he emerged as a calming voice of reason to everyone outside of NYC apparently. I guess his downward trajectory since doesn't seem too surprising given the local opinion of him at the time.

by Anonymousreply 73September 12, 2021 1:11 AM

Again, provide a link to Rudy Giuliani's "calming voice," "calming words," calming ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 74September 12, 2021 1:15 AM

He hijacked a national tragedy to create and promote his fucking brand.

by Anonymousreply 75September 12, 2021 1:16 AM

R6 must be the freeper troll.

by Anonymousreply 76September 12, 2021 1:18 AM

Who the fuck would ever think this shrieking nut was comforting?

by Anonymousreply 77September 12, 2021 1:20 AM

R75 are you taking about Rudy or Cuomo? or both?

by Anonymousreply 78September 12, 2021 1:27 AM

R78 refers to R72 not r73

by Anonymousreply 79September 12, 2021 1:49 AM

R77 New Yorkers re-elected him and saw him as an improvement over the 'do nothing Dinkins' who served 1 term

by Anonymousreply 80September 12, 2021 1:51 AM

Off topic, but did Christie Todd Whitman and Condi bump uglies? Both rumored to be closeted lezzies ya know....

by Anonymousreply 81September 12, 2021 4:00 AM

In your imaginations, R81. Condi is a lesbian, Whitman is not.

by Anonymousreply 82September 12, 2021 2:36 PM

Whitman resembles Brett Cullen. Not a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 83September 12, 2021 4:09 PM

Anyone who lived in NYC before 9/11 knew he was an asshole - he just got camera time on 9/11 and a lot of sympathy.

He's always been a power-craven sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 84September 12, 2021 4:10 PM

A small man in search of a balcony.

by Anonymousreply 85September 12, 2021 4:35 PM

Who the fuck is we all. He was an asshole then and most of the folks I knew in NY detested him before, during and after.

by Anonymousreply 86September 12, 2021 4:57 PM

I actually used to think Rudy was nastier than Trump - like both of them would knock you to the concrete and split your scull, but Rudy would put him foot on your throat. Donald would help you up and punch again.

by Anonymousreply 87September 12, 2021 5:00 PM

The title " America's Mayor was bestowed on him by the NY media. Those not in NY just chalked it up to NY television displaying its arrogance once again.

by Anonymousreply 88September 12, 2021 9:02 PM

Rudy three sheets to the wind rambling on at a 9/11 dinner. NYC should be so proud!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 13, 2021 4:01 PM

The comforting words I referenced came early in the day when a reported found Giuliani on the street and, cameras rolling, asked him what the toll of the dead would be. Rather than offering a wildly inaccurate estimate, he said (to the effect of) "the toll will be greater than any of us can bear." Then, footage emerged within hours of him running toward the WTC. The media needed a local hero, while Middle America looked on and fell for it. Never mind the election bullshit, the idiocy of putting NY's emergency command center in the building most recently bombed by terrorists, the horrible policy he enacted overall and horrible people he surrounded himself with... Nyers knew the truth, but Middle America never listens to the people who know.

by Anonymousreply 90September 14, 2021 3:21 AM

Rudy was a good mayor in the beginning. That is bs that only transplants liked him. He was reelected a Republican Mayor in a Democratic because he was popular. The 9/11 America’s mayor stuff seemed like nonsense at the time but his transformation into total insanity has been a shocker. Maybe he has syphillis?

by Anonymousreply 91September 14, 2021 3:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!