Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jack Nicholson has dementia, friends fear

Jack Nicholson has not been seen publicly in over a year—and close friends fear the legendary Hollywood actor is suffering from Dementia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2021 2:01 AM

I thought it was well known that he retired due to cognitive issues. Is 3300 sqft considered a sprawling mansion? I thought mansions were around 10,000 sqft.

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2021 4:22 AM

So what you’re saying is he will be giving out the Best Picture Oscar this year.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2021 4:25 AM

He’s sharing diapers with Barbara Walters.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2021 4:29 AM

Now here is a man that knows how to pack a snack purse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2021 4:39 AM

^^And the kid is looking longingly at it, as well. ^^

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2021 4:42 AM

He's 84...not 40. People get old and die.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2021 4:44 AM

The proper form is:

SAD LAST DAYS: Jack Nicholson has dementia, friends fear

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2021 4:47 AM

There have been rumours of Jack Nicholson have dementia for years now.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2021 4:48 AM

Sad . He’s an icon

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2021 4:55 AM

That article mentions that he “hasn’t worked since 2010,” as if he can’t be retired at 72/73.

Anyway, sigh. This is terrible if true. I just posted the restaurant scene from Terms of Endearment. The way he delivers “ass” with his breath sends me.

I’ve heard a doctor speak on dementia recently and he stated that the disease returns its victims to the core of who they were/are as a person. So, if they were a good person in their life, with dementia they’re pleasantly confused. If they were a horrible person, you’d see that reflected in their dementia. Etc.

Based on my experiences, I can maybe see this as true, though it’s not as black/white. I’ve been around patients who have swung both extremes in their demented state. I had one patient recently who mostly laughed and said silly things, but she could also be non-compliant and paranoid (who knows if there was any justification for that paranoia). I had another patient who always wanted to know what the “plan” was and thought everyone was conspiring against him. He could be quite mean, as well. But I feel like he might have been a gentle soul (yet, I’m unsure). Most of the patients have a disposition that was standard for them.

Regardless, dementia is nasty. Godspeed to his family and any DLer dealing with it in theirs.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2021 5:05 AM

*couldn’t be retired at 72/73.

(Obviously)

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2021 5:06 AM

Someone should check what he's been been typing on his typewriter.

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2021 5:08 AM

Sad last days

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2021 5:09 AM

R12 Why would you imagine he has a typewriter?

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2021 5:14 AM

Kick r14 out of here!

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2021 5:23 AM

Because he's become a Remington salesman, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2021 5:24 AM

R15, R16, sorry, not a Nicholson fan, but just googled him and typewriter and now get the reference from The Shining, which I've never watched.

by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2021 5:27 AM

All work and no play makes r14 a dull boy.

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2021 5:30 AM

We can only hope he's spared a Nurse Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2021 5:54 AM

What a pig and only ok actor. Do not gaf.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2021 6:37 AM

Is Lara in a tutu taking care of him?

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2021 6:41 AM

Fuck off R20. Nicholson has the awards to prove how good he is, so just fuck off, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2021 6:47 AM

As long he's not throwing little dogs into garbage chute.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2021 6:55 AM

Didn't he spend decades doing lots of cocaine?

Unfortunately that's one of the potential consequences, That is if he has any dementia at all, as far as we know it's all hearsay, perhaps he is just being smart being in his mid eighties and not going out in times of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2021 7:08 AM

He was pictured at a Bernie rally last winter and he looked fine. Fat as fuck but fine.

When someone retires there are always going to be health rumors. Maybe he just realized he was too old to get away with “playing Jack Nkcholson” anymore so he wanted to spare himself the humiliation. Who knows could be a lot of reasons.

It’s not like he’s DeNiro with a money draining ex he has to support.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2021 7:34 AM

R22 he was always “Jack” and I was never impressed. Go fuck yourself for calling me an asshole!

by Anonymousreply 26September 10, 2021 7:58 AM

You're right Xennial. But I think he might have had one more performance in him. He signed onto a Toni Erdmann remake four years ago with Kristen Wiig attached before dropping out. Not that we need to see a remake of that fine film, but the role itself would have been a good and poignant one for him focusing solely on his character's relationship to his daughter more so than About Schmidt. A great final vehicle if Lisa Cholodenko would have been able to spin it with a fresh feel.

I would have liked to see that, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I don't see any point to the project now unless they can get someone like Warren Beatty or even Robert Redford or Duvall.

by Anonymousreply 27September 10, 2021 7:58 AM

R27

Beaty - too difficult

Redford - Retired, though he later retracted that so of

Duvall - He looked so feeble in Widows I thought he may not be longer with us anymore but I note he has completed another film and is filming another

Hackman would be a great choice and though he has not officially retired it does seem like he has.

I'm hoping the Toni Erdmann re-make never goes ahead. Lisa Cholodenko is more miss than hit and Wiig is a one hit wonder (Bridesmaid) - wish she would retire.

by Anonymousreply 28September 10, 2021 9:48 AM

I like his work, I don’t like HIM. But dementia is a bitch, for those who love the person. Does anyone love him?

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2021 12:26 PM

During the lockeded-down Xmas shopping season when stores had capacity limits I was 4th in line outside one of L.A.'s major literary bookstores. And behind me a man and the woman behind him in line began chit-chatting. He told her his brother had phone access to Jack Nicholson, because his brother did some kind of repair or tradeswork at Nicholson's house and Nichsolson took a liking to him. He then said Nicholson called his brother at all hours of the night to ramble on and one. He said "drunk and dementia."

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote]So what you’re saying is he will be giving out the Best Picture Oscar this year.

Great - just what we need: a tie for Gladiator & La La Land

by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2021 1:23 PM

From Radar Online, 2013: Jack Nicholson Retires Due to Memory Loss Problems

He’ll still sit court side at Los Angeles Lakers’ games, but Hollywood legend Jack Nicholson has quietly retired from the movie business, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned.

The 76-year-old icon has no plans to appear in films again after a career spanning five decades.

“Jack has — without fanfare — retired,” a well-placed Hollywood film insider confirmed to Radar.

“There is a simple reason behind his decision — it’s memory loss. Quite frankly, at 76, Jack has memory issues and can no longer remember the lines being asked of him.

“His memory isn’t what it used to be.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2021 2:01 PM

I thought Robert Duvall was dead

by Anonymousreply 33September 10, 2021 2:28 PM

I’m reading Sam Was don’s The Big Goodbye, about the making of Chinatown. It’s just OK - kind of overwritten, and seems to gloss over the character flaws of Polanski and others in that crowd. But there’s some fun gossip about Jack, including that he would keep a big bowl full of cocaine on his coffee table at all times, foe anyone to just help themselves. He also gave away vials of cocaine as Christmas gifts.

by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2021 2:36 PM

* Sam Wasson

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2021 2:37 PM

r1, yeah, that was my first thought too

by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2021 2:40 PM

How can they tell?

by Anonymousreply 37September 10, 2021 2:47 PM

Between the coke and the cigarettes, it's a miracle he's lived as long as he has.

by Anonymousreply 38September 10, 2021 2:51 PM

[quote] There have been rumours of Jack Nicholson have dementia for years now.

Thank you, Mongo.

Mongo no like Jack Nicholson have dementia?

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2021 2:53 PM

^^ Apparently Jack Nicholson have multiple personalities

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2021 8:06 PM
by Anonymousreply 41September 11, 2021 1:02 AM

R14 is a twat.

You can smell it.

by Anonymousreply 42September 11, 2021 1:26 AM

r2 all I have to say to you is. . .

Adele Dazeem

by Anonymousreply 43September 11, 2021 1:31 AM

Poor Kristen Wiig. She was supposed to do a big movie with him.

by Anonymousreply 44September 11, 2021 1:32 AM

OMG Everybody's getting old and dying

by Anonymousreply 45September 11, 2021 1:33 AM

R44 I think the Toni Ehrdmann remake was canceled years ago

by Anonymousreply 46September 11, 2021 1:33 AM

It seems people get old and die a lot now, more so than before.

by Anonymousreply 47September 11, 2021 1:46 AM

That whole generation is almost gone.

by Anonymousreply 48September 11, 2021 2:17 AM

R38 you forgot me.

by Anonymousreply 49September 11, 2021 6:44 AM

I never liked him, but in The Pledge I thought it was touching the way he played the detective with dementia. I was puzzled when a psychologist asked the character if he got flushed--is that a symptom of dementia? Anyway, I'm sorry for anyone in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 50September 11, 2021 6:49 AM

R26 - “ he was always “Jack” and I was never impressed. Go fuck yourself for calling me an asshole! —Awards don’t mean Jack”

You think you’re clever R26, by trying, and failing miserably to spin “Jack” like look at me I’m funny?

You’re not funny, and you’re a bigger asshole than I thought you were after I read your first comment at R20.

Hit the link, then read and weep Mary. Awards DO matter, and you sound like a bitter, so-so actor, who unfortunately, never made it. Or, a plain old miserable asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2021 2:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2021 6:36 AM

We have failed as a society if we fear people getting old. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2021 6:39 AM

The ever-aphoristic (and off-base) R53.

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2021 6:43 AM

R22 I AM a plain old miserable asshole…who is not impressed with Jack’s awards, having never been impressed with Jack’s acting and is most unimpressed with Jack’s treatment of women.

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2021 8:53 PM

Thanks, R34, I'm with you. I was so looking forward to Sam Wasson's book about CHINATOWN since I love Wasson (he wrote the great Fosse bio) and I love the film, but I literally could not get through it. I might not be sophisticated enough to get it!

Jack is a great actor, one of the all-time greats. For many in the film community, he is the greatest. His AFI speech moves me like no other. The real deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2021 2:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!