Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Arlene Dahl not a gay icon?

She is one of the last true beauties from MGM. She was married to two of the biggest cocks in Hollywood, Fernando Lamas and Lex Barker. She's the mother of hunky Lorenzo Lamas. She had her own line of beauty products and hosted daily beauty segments on network television. She's starred on Broadway, including the last to play Margo Channing in Applause. Her present husband is considerably younger.

by Anonymousreply 356October 1, 2021 10:24 AM

She is a very conservative rethug that raised Lorenzo Lamas enough said.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2021 10:38 PM

She was never a STAH!

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2021 10:52 PM

The story she told at the 28:01 mark about meeting Joan Crawford was so delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2021 10:56 PM

There's room for only ONE gay icon on Datalounge. And THAT is ME!

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2021 11:00 PM

Didn't her first husband, former Tarzan Lex Barker, have a huge cock but she divorced him when her daughter came to her and said he had tried to fuck her or had raped her? Maybe I'm thinking of some other Old Hollywood story.

And yes, she was genuinely pretty when young, despite her politics. I think her problem was she was rarely assigned to truly A List films.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2021 11:08 PM

Arlene Dahl - Astrology Birth Chart, Horoscope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2021 11:16 PM

Arlene Carol Dahl (born August 11, 1925) is an American retired actress and former Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer star, who achieved notability during the 1950s. She has three children, the eldest of whom is actor Lorenzo Lamas.

She's 96.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2021 11:18 PM

She's boring and a Republican. Next!

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2021 11:23 PM

People always comment on her beautiful complexion...and then what else is there to say?

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2021 11:25 PM

Who was the most beautiful between Arlene Dahl and Rhonda Fleming?

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2021 11:26 PM

Arlene is very much into numerology.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2021 11:34 PM

The mole, the awful dyed hair that you know would look like a used Brillo pad left alone, and...perhaps the lack of talent/star quality. She was always second tier (or lower) even in her best days at MGM.

Where did she do a piece of acting, singing or dancing that would wow us in the way all the time-honored DL beloved ladies can?

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote]Who was the most beautiful between Arlene Dahl and Rhonda Fleming?

Toss up. But the country had moved beyond big titted conventional 1940s beauties like those two and onto the likes of Leslie Caron and Audrey Hepburn and two womens' careers were dead in the water before they really got started.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2021 11:54 PM

There is a thoroughly enjoyable soap opera style film that no one seems to know about called "Woman's World". 1954. Lauren Bacall, Fred MacMurry, Clifton Webb,...and Arlene Dahl and she's great in it. Plays an evil bitch. Seeing it makes you wonder why she never got better roles or became an A list star.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2021 12:01 AM

She was big dick adjacent, apparently

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2021 12:21 AM

R12, Exhibit A . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2021 12:24 AM

Dining out with Lorenzo and their spouses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2021 12:28 AM

I remember her mostly for doing commercials—I think they were for cosmetics, hairspray, something like that.

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2021 12:28 AM

R18, Arlene for Toni.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2021 12:32 AM

The only movie I can remember seeing her in was "Journey to the Center of the Earth," starring James Mason and co-starring Pat Boone, who does a discreet nude scene at some point.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2021 12:37 AM

She was never anywhere near A list, even at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2021 12:39 AM

"Arlene Dahl's Beauty Spot"

Brought to you by Clairol.

With today's guest, Petula Clark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2021 12:45 AM

Loved her as a kid when I saw Journey to the Center of the Earth.

There's a hilarious clip somewhere out there of Arlene as the Mystery Guest on What's My Line?, publicizing that film, in which she gets into an awful cat fight with Dorothy Kilgallen after the panelists guess her identity. Dorothy tells Arlene that she'll be sure to be nominated for an Oscar for her performance but Arlene just won't have it, or takes it like a jibe, and it just gets worse and worse.

Someone please find it and link. I'm too old and lame at tis point...

And yes, she's surprisingly magnificent in Woman's World. Perhaps she should have played more bitches.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2021 12:47 AM

Exactly R21. Hell, she wasn't even D-list at MGM. She's basically known for marrying Fernando Lamas, and then being the mother of the repugnant Lorenzo. Why in the world would any of the make her a gay icon ANYWHERE?

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2021 12:47 AM

Wasn't Lorenzo actually raised by Esther Williams when she married Fernando Lamas, even though Fernando forbade Esther to see her own kids from her former marriage? I'm not sure what Arlene was busy with that she couldn't raise Lorenzo herself.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2021 12:50 AM

Arlene refuted Lana Turner's daughter Cheryl's claims that Cheryl was raped by Lex Barker when he was married to Lana. She said Cheryl's teenage pussy couldn't possibly withhold Lex's huge cock. There's a clip of this somewhere out there, too (Arlene, not the huge cock).

by Anonymousreply 26September 10, 2021 12:52 AM

R23, Dorothy's praise begins at 23:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 10, 2021 12:57 AM

R26, Arlene discusses Lex Barker's cock @ 17:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 10, 2021 1:02 AM

Ah, thank you, r27! It' s so good.

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2021 1:03 AM

R23, there is no cat fight or anything unpleasant in the WHAT'S MY LINE? clip.

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2021 2:48 AM

Dorothy Kilgallen does seem a little drunk in that "What's My Line?" clip, but that was nothing new for her.

by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2021 4:43 AM

Dorothy did seem drunk.

Getting that kind of compliment from columnist Dorothy Kilgallen was a big deal. There was nothing wrong with their exchange, but Arlene could have accepted the compliments a little more graciously.

by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2021 5:19 AM

She was fun as Lucinda, Mimi's mother, on One Life to Live. She worked a lot with former western stars Philip Carey and Jeremy Slate. She was on for the masked ball that exposed Asa for keeping his first wife Olympia (veteran stage and screen actress Taina Elg) which lasted a month. She was later on when the campy Grayson Hall was on as Delia's mother. Elizabeth Hubbard, who went onto play the iconic Lucinda Walsh was also on OLTL at the same time, and they shared scenes.

by Anonymousreply 33September 10, 2021 6:12 AM

Delila, not Delia. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2021 6:14 AM

**kisses Dahl**

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2021 4:58 PM

That's probably the most underwhelming MGM musical number I have *ever* seen, r16.

by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2021 5:17 PM

I love "Woman's World".

One of those glossy, CinemaScope pictures from 1950s Twentieth Century Fox.

Clifton Webb is owner, boss of car manufacturing firm based in NYC. He has brought to NYC his 3 best men (and their wives) to choose the successor to the now deceased General Manager of the Firm. The couples are... Fred MacMurray and Lauren Bacall, driving in from Philadelphia, Cornell Wilde and June Allyson fly in from Kansas City and Van Heflin and Arlene Dahl come in by train from Texas.

Who will be offered the big job? Whose wife would be the perfect spouse of the GM but would her husband be best for the big job?

by Anonymousreply 37September 10, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote]That's probably the most underwhelming MGM musical number I have *ever* seen, R16.

If I had been asked to choreograph a musical number, that's exactly what it would end up looking like. And I know nothing about choreography.

by Anonymousreply 38September 10, 2021 6:10 PM

r37 That sounds similar to "Executive Suite," also with Miss Allyson.

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2021 6:15 PM

R37, And since Clifton Webb was a "confirmed bachelor", his sister, Margalo Gilmore, acted as his hostess.

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2021 6:40 PM

The trick, r38, is to let the fan do all of the dancing.

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2021 6:40 PM

If I were still alive, I'd kick her in the CUNT bone.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2021 6:46 PM

From Lorenzo's autobiography, "Renegade at Heart".

"Suddenly, Dad appears right behind me. I turn and look. He is standing there naked with a huge erection. Never in my life have I seen anything like it. I am this seven-year-old kid, a guest in my father’s home. Still learning the ways of the world. Still trying to figure things out. And now my father is standing there as if nothing is wrong, his corn dog sticking in my face as I try not to stare. “Hey, amigo,” he says, “you must be getting hungry.” I avert my eyes away from Dad’s big salami. “Yeah, a little,” I mumble. I’ve watched National Geographic specials and stared at enough pictures in magazines to know what penises look like. Dad’s, however, is beyond my comprehension. I add, “I was wondering when you guys were going to come out.” Dad carries on like we are having a normal conversation, as if nothing is out of the ordinary as his flagpole still stands at attention. “We took a swim, amigo,” he says matter-of-factly. “Esther is taking a shower and then she is going to start dinner.” I can only think of one thing: “Wow, is that the way I am going to be? I hope so!” The fact Dad is so well endowed makes me realize later why women loved him and put up with his shenanigans. As the years went on, I never mentioned the incident of the erection or its effect on me. I do ask once, much later, “Did you ever play around on Esther?” And Dad says, “I never fooled around on Esther.” “Nothing ever stopped you before with other people.” “Well, with Esther, it’s different,” he admits. “She loves having sex and we do it a lot.” I laugh. “Oh, thanks, Dad.”"

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2021 7:41 PM

What a shallow, desperate, and transparent attempt to increase his book sales.

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2021 7:49 PM

He learned from an expert.

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2021 8:05 PM

Lorenzo obviously used Shirley Jones' ghostwriter.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote]I love "Woman's World".

It's a lot of fun. A very tight well written script.

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2021 8:19 PM

IIRC June Allyson wears enough Peter Pan collars in WOMAN'S WORLD to fly her to Neverland and back.

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2021 8:22 PM

[quote]Lorenzo obviously used Shirley Jones' ghostwriter.

Or maybe he used an actual ghost writer, Jacqueline Susann.

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2021 11:32 PM

I think she's fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 50September 11, 2021 12:18 AM

I believe she is good friends with Joan Collins.I recall seeing photos of Joan and husband Percy at a private dinner party at Arlenes home.

by Anonymousreply 51September 11, 2021 12:58 AM

Well, they're both married to younger gay men.

by Anonymousreply 52September 11, 2021 1:00 AM

Did a stage show with her in late 1950s. She was stunningly beautiful up close with no makeup. Vapid performance though.

by Anonymousreply 53September 11, 2021 1:02 AM

Trumps mother had the same hairdo that Arlene had in that silly interview with the Palm Springs queen. The idea that an 11 year old was making up rape stores back in the 50s, even if she was Lana’s daughter is just preposterous. Arlene sounds like right wing loon who. Ant admit she was married to someone horrible. That he was a second rate Tarzan was bad enough. Even she was a little higher on the food chain than that.

by Anonymousreply 54September 11, 2021 1:03 AM

I'm absolutely adopting this *look*.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2021 1:06 AM

Good lord, dear r53, how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2021 1:09 AM

A guy I know who lived in Sparkill, New York along with Arlene and her husband, said he refers to Lorenzo as "my step son." even though he has no connection to Lamas.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2021 1:09 AM

Dorothy seems loaded. I never recall her being so unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2021 1:10 AM

r53 Percy is gay?

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2021 1:14 AM

She was married to two dicks

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2021 1:29 AM

Arlene Dahl is niche gay icon.

Just like Gale Sondergaard, Gloria Grahame, and Virginia Graham for that matter.

Small yet loyal houses and not the entire gay neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2021 1:31 AM

Rhonda was the one with the voice...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 11, 2021 1:33 AM

During the interview with Ron Russell, she mentioned Obama and said she's writing Chapter 12 of her book "which should be out next year."

Checking Amazon there is no book by her in that time period.

by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2021 1:37 AM

r63 Perhaps a sign she is in severe declining health? One for deadpoolers deathlisters?

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2021 1:46 AM

[quote]Did a stage show with her in late 1950s.

You gotta love Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 65September 11, 2021 1:56 AM

Arlene Dahl rhymes with toilet stall.

by Anonymousreply 66September 11, 2021 2:04 AM

...which is probably where she met Fernando.

by Anonymousreply 67September 11, 2021 2:26 AM

Gloria Grahame is much more icon worthy than this ex-home perm pitchwoman. For one thing she has an affair with her stepson while she was still married to his father. I think that beats marriage to ordinary beef cake. Plus Gloria occasionally could act and was an early plastic surgery victim. Gloria also was mocked by Mamie “Rock Hudson took my virginity” Van Doreen. Arlene is like a high gloss Vera Hruba Ralston by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 68September 11, 2021 2:34 AM

Who the hellos Ron Russell. He’s a D-list queen we need to know more about.anymore interviews?

by Anonymousreply 69September 11, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote] Why is Arlene Dahl not a gay icon?

She has no personality. Her deathly-white skin presented a big contrast to swarthy Fernando but she started looking like a ghost in her middle age.

Her Wiki page shows NO good movies. It says MGM loaned her out a lot. The studio system fell apart. She was involved in dodgy companies and went bankrupt twice.

by Anonymousreply 70September 11, 2021 2:53 AM

[quote]She was involved in dodgy companies and went bankrupt twice.

Do you think she might have been involved in covering up the murder of Dorothy Kilgallen?

by Anonymousreply 71September 11, 2021 4:37 AM

Wasn't she in a movie with Doris Day?

by Anonymousreply 72September 11, 2021 4:50 AM

She had beautiful tangerine hair, like Greer Garson.

by Anonymousreply 73September 11, 2021 4:51 AM

R72 No, that was Arlene Francis, another generic actress. Considering she was born in 1907 and was in her fifties when she played a pregnant woman in the Day movie, it was one of those 'suspension belief' roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 11, 2021 4:57 AM

Husband Fernando may have sexy, briefly, despite his long nose but he soon turned into a caricature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 11, 2021 5:01 AM

The Thrill Of It All was one of Doris Day's best movies from the 1960's. James Garner loved working with her and made 2 films with her back to back, the other being Move Over Darling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 11, 2021 5:02 AM

She was no Polly Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 77September 11, 2021 5:13 AM

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer says navels are evil!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 11, 2021 5:16 AM

R74, Arlene was a replacement for Jeanette MacDonald(born 1903), who Ross Hunter offered the role to first. Jeanette declined citing issues with her heart, from which she would die two years later at 62.

by Anonymousreply 79September 11, 2021 5:17 AM

[quote]Husband Fernando may have sexy, briefly, despite his long nose but he soon turned into a caricature.

That's not true.

by Anonymousreply 80September 11, 2021 5:20 AM

OK, R80, Lamas turned into a caricature twenty years later.

See 1.00 in this vdeo —

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 11, 2021 5:44 AM

Miss Arlene Dahl was a second tier actress at MGM. She was given leading lady roles in their B-pictures, but was almost always the supporting player in their A-pictures. And although she was famous in her day, she was never on the level as fellow MGM contract player and Mrs Fernando Lamas #4, Esther Williams.

by Anonymousreply 82September 11, 2021 6:16 AM

Why wasn't Arlene offered a guest role on "Falcon Crest" like Lana was?

by Anonymousreply 83September 11, 2021 6:18 AM

I was 7 when "Journey to the Center of the Earth" was released and saw it more than once.

Dorothy Kilgallen may have been smitten by Pat Boone, but this then little gayling wanted the hunky blond guy with the pet duck.

by Anonymousreply 84September 11, 2021 6:19 AM

R82, Or Mrs. Lex Barker #3, Lana Turner.

by Anonymousreply 85September 11, 2021 6:25 AM

Arlene as Margo Channing in Applause.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 11, 2021 6:30 AM

She doesn’t have the career, looks, or access to social media beauty filters it takes to be an icon. It’s a lot of work, even for those of us who were born icons.

by Anonymousreply 87September 11, 2021 6:38 AM

Esther Williams also has a Lamas erection story that did not take place in a private space. He liked showing it off. Pity there are no pictures of it.

by Anonymousreply 88September 11, 2021 7:23 AM

Esther wrote that Fernando had a thing about wrinkled trousers, so when they were driving to a public event, he would hang his pants on a hanger in the car and drive bare assed, no underwear.

by Anonymousreply 89September 11, 2021 9:46 AM

R88, He got an erection while swimming and went into the kitchen where Esther was preparing dinner and demanded sex and she complied.

by Anonymousreply 90September 11, 2021 9:49 AM

Lamas left Hollywood in the late 50s but continued his career by agreeing to costar on Broadway with Ethel Merman in what turned out to be her least successful musical, Happy Hunting. He played a latin lover Lotharia. They instantly disliked each other and by the time the show opened only spoke to each other onstage in character.

They constantly tried to upstage each other and on opening night Lamas made his entrance to gasps from the audience. He'd had all his pants recut to show off his enormous VPL in vivid detail. Ethel bitched about it but it brought the show so much publicity the producers let him get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 91September 11, 2021 10:42 AM

Like Joan Collins she has the ability to wear expensive garments and make them look like ready-to-wear polyester pieces.

by Anonymousreply 92September 11, 2021 10:45 AM

[quote]Lamas turned into a caricature twenty years later.

Because Billy Crystal would do an impression of him?

Lamas worked steadily through the 50s, 60s and 70s.˜And did lot of directing. He never became the caricature that you claim.

by Anonymousreply 93September 11, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote]Lamas left Hollywood in the late 50s

That is not true. You are making things up.

And BTW "Happy Hunting" was not "the late 50s", it was 1956.

by Anonymousreply 94September 11, 2021 12:54 PM

MGM had three Latin Lover hunks: Desi Arnaz, Ricardo Montalban and Fernando Lamas. Ricardo was the most successful while under contract.

by Anonymousreply 95September 11, 2021 1:17 PM

R95, Rossano Brazzi appeared in a number of MGM films.

by Anonymousreply 96September 11, 2021 1:24 PM

Arlene was too refined and lacked a dominant persona for us gay to claw into and never let go of.

by Anonymousreply 97September 11, 2021 1:26 PM

Arlene as a brunette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 11, 2021 1:36 PM

[quote]And BTW "Happy Hunting" was not "the late 50s", it was 1956.

That's the late 50s, hon. Post-1955 is the late 50s.

by Anonymousreply 99September 11, 2021 3:59 PM

After kissing Ethel during Happy Hunting, Fernando would turn to the audience and grimace.

by Anonymousreply 100September 11, 2021 4:19 PM

Here's Fernando promoting Happy Hunting on WML? @ 16:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 11, 2021 4:33 PM

R99 No, you are wrong.

Decades are divided into early, mid and late.

1956 is mid-50s, hon.

by Anonymousreply 102September 11, 2021 4:46 PM

Houses built in the 1950s are described as mid-century.

by Anonymousreply 103September 11, 2021 5:02 PM

R103:

"Mid-century modern (MCM) is an American design movement in interior, product, graphic design, architecture, and urban development that was popular from roughly 1945 to 1969, during the United States's post–World War II period.

"The term was used descriptively as early as the mid-1950s and was defined as a design movement by Cara Greenberg in her 1984 book Mid-Century Modern: Furniture of the 1950s."

Please note use of the term: "mid-1950s".

by Anonymousreply 104September 11, 2021 5:23 PM

R99 Snookums you lose. '56 is most definitely mid 50s.

by Anonymousreply 105September 11, 2021 5:45 PM

For you youngsters here, just think of the 1980s and how differently you dressed in 1981, 1984 and then 1989.

by Anonymousreply 106September 11, 2021 5:46 PM

r78 Yummy and divinely hot 🔥😘

I'm still taking in the claim Joan Collins husband is gay.

by Anonymousreply 107September 11, 2021 5:51 PM

[quote]MGM had three Latin Lover hunks: Desi Arnaz, Ricardo Montalban and Fernando Lamas. Ricardo was the most successful while under contract.

¿Quién es más macho, Fernando Lamas o Ricardo Montalbán? 😊

Fernando was to star opposite his real-life lover, Miss Lana Turner in "Latin Lovers" (1953), but they had a big fight over Lex Barker, and a jealously enraged Lamas beat her black and blue. Lana then marched over to Benny Thau's office and demanded Lamas be replaced. Shocked by Lana's appearance, Benny sent her to the doctor, fired Lamas, and replaced him with his rival Ricardo Montalban.

Unlike the 4-times married pussyhound Fernando, Ricardo had one wife, Georgiana (Loretta Young's half sister), whom he married in 1944 and they remained together until her death in 2007. Lana described him as the perfect gentleman, always professional, and completely devoted to Georgiana. A devout Catholic, he was an active parishioner at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Beverly Hills and was made a Knight of the Order of St. Gregory.

Desi was never a major motion picture star, but he more than made up for it by being an enduring tv legend and television pioneer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 11, 2021 6:01 PM

He was a loser!!

by Anonymousreply 109September 11, 2021 6:07 PM

But don't think for a minute, happy marriage or not, Lana didn't try and get into Montalban's undies.

by Anonymousreply 110September 11, 2021 6:08 PM

With all the name changing they insisted on at MGM, how did Desi ever get to keep his real name?

I get it with Fernando Lamas and Ricardo Montalban as those are actually very sexy names. But.....Desi Arnaz? No wonder he didn't last long at the studio.

by Anonymousreply 111September 11, 2021 6:10 PM

R111, What about Louis B. Mayer's successor, Dore Schary?

by Anonymousreply 112September 11, 2021 6:15 PM

WOW! Fernando Lamas is really hot shit in that WML clip at r101, so seductive, even in primitive black and white. Talk about "lupine"....are those his real teeth?

by Anonymousreply 113September 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Miss Arlene at Nancy Davis' engagement party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 11, 2021 6:22 PM

Arlene co-stars with fellow flame-haired star Rhonda Fleming in SLIGHTLY SCARLET (56), vying for studly DL Fave John Payne. She plays a naughty nympho.

It's on Amazon Prime for your viewing pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 115September 11, 2021 6:23 PM

Jean Hagen, Jane Powell and Arlene Dahl (and someone else) all look like they were corralled together by the MGM publicity dept. because Nancy Davis had no actual friends.

by Anonymousreply 116September 11, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote]WOW! Fernando Lamas is really hot shit in that WML clip at [R101], so seductive, even in primitive black and white. Talk about "lupine"....are those his real teeth?

There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright. Fernando!

by Anonymousreply 117September 11, 2021 6:27 PM

R116, Audrey Totter

by Anonymousreply 118September 11, 2021 6:28 PM

Did those gals know that Nancy was knocked up with little Patti at the time?

by Anonymousreply 119September 11, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote]Jean Hagen, Jane Powell and Arlene Dahl (and someone else) all look like they were corralled together by the MGM publicity dept. because Nancy Davis had no actual friends.

And Jean looks none too happy to be there, giving Nancy the stink eye.

by Anonymousreply 120September 11, 2021 6:31 PM

^^ Sorry, giving Arlene the stink eye. ^^

by Anonymousreply 121September 11, 2021 6:32 PM

Desi had already made a big name for himself on Broadway, in nightclubs and in presentation houses. People knew who he was even before I Love Lucy. Why would they change his name?

by Anonymousreply 122September 11, 2021 6:36 PM

My mistake. It was Nancy Davis' engagement party for Arlene Dahl, hence, the perfectly poised Arlene opening her gifts.

by Anonymousreply 123September 11, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote] Fernando Lamas is really hot shit

That is an ugly description.

by Anonymousreply 124September 11, 2021 7:11 PM

[Quote] There was nothing wrong with their exchange, but Arlene could have accepted the compliments a little more graciously.

Are you kidding? Kilgallen torpedoed the interaction by shouting out "Maureen O'Hara!" after the title of the movie, which she'd just seen, had been spoken.

by Anonymousreply 125September 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Take a tour of Treetops, Arlene Dahl's home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 11, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote]Take a tour of Treetops, Arlene Dahl's home

Well, hello! Welcome to my home!

by Anonymousreply 127September 11, 2021 7:39 PM

R123, Engagement party for which husband?

by Anonymousreply 128September 11, 2021 7:40 PM

Arlene is also the grandmother of Shayne Lamas, a former Bachelorette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 11, 2021 7:48 PM

Why, there the Redgraves of Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 130September 11, 2021 7:54 PM

*they're

by Anonymousreply 131September 11, 2021 7:54 PM

I wonder if Arlene and Lana ever compared notes.

They both married/dated Fernando and Lex.

by Anonymousreply 132September 11, 2021 8:00 PM

R100, According to her biographers, Ethel was fond of well endowed men.

She probably attempted to take a ride on the Fernando Express and was rebuffed, hence their animosity.

Jack Klugman said she tried to bed him during the out of town Gypsy previews, but he declined.

by Anonymousreply 133September 11, 2021 8:04 PM

Give me that jumbo jet! I need the hardness!

by Anonymousreply 134September 11, 2021 8:15 PM

But she remained on the best of terms with him for the rest of their lives. Strange she didn't make a guest appearance on The Odd Couple.

by Anonymousreply 135September 11, 2021 8:19 PM

Klugman probably let her down easier than Lamas did.

by Anonymousreply 136September 11, 2021 8:21 PM

R128, Lex Barker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 11, 2021 8:51 PM

[quote]With all the name changing they insisted on at MGM, how did Desi ever get to keep his real name?

MGM also had (briefly) Perry Como.

Unusual names, but Desi and Perry became huge stars with the public.

There was also the case od Ricardo Cortez

by Anonymousreply 138September 11, 2021 8:56 PM

Ooops sorry, I meant to continue:

There was also the case of Ricardo Cortez. Another "Latin Lover" who was actually Jewish but changed his name because the latin type was popular.

by Anonymousreply 139September 11, 2021 8:58 PM

What a list!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 11, 2021 9:10 PM

Poor Shirley Booth. Lee Radziwill sticks out like a sore thumb too. Ordinary looking woman, at best.

by Anonymousreply 141September 11, 2021 9:18 PM

Perry Como apparently hated working for MGM and didn't hesitate to tell LB Mayer off at a public function.

by Anonymousreply 142September 11, 2021 9:20 PM

Did Lex Barker ever make any decent films? Even his Tarzan movies seem to be negligible. Was he under contract to MGM?

He sure was sexy!

by Anonymousreply 143September 11, 2021 9:23 PM

I was getting Montalban to sign my program after a performance of Don Juan in Hell, r108. He had a bad cold. That's Entertainment! had just come out. I told him he probably caught the cold from too much swimming with Esther Williams. He wasn't amused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 11, 2021 9:36 PM

They didn't change the name from the Huntington Hartford to the Fernando Lamas...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 11, 2021 9:50 PM

Ricardo Montalban Hollywood's New Romantic Star

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 11, 2021 9:51 PM

The only one who remained unscathed by telling LB off was Elizabeth Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 147September 11, 2021 9:58 PM

Wasn't LB gone from MGM by the time Taylor was an adult?

by Anonymousreply 148September 11, 2021 10:00 PM

R135, "The Odd Couple" producers did approach Ethel to play Jack Klugman's mother, but she was insulted and refused.

by Anonymousreply 149September 11, 2021 10:50 PM

How many Hollywood contract players of Arlene's vintage bared their breasts on screen?

by Anonymousreply 150September 11, 2021 10:52 PM

R144, I'm surprised they never got Ricardo's sister-in-law, Loretta Young, to appear on "Fantasy Island".

by Anonymousreply 151September 11, 2021 10:53 PM

A little cheesecake from Arlene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 11, 2021 10:59 PM

Dahl dolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 11, 2021 11:11 PM

Ricardo, Georgiana, and Desi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 11, 2021 11:22 PM

R140, By 1962, Doris Day was wearing wigs in all her movies.

by Anonymousreply 155September 11, 2021 11:25 PM

Arlene and Marilyn, perhaps sharing beauty tips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 11, 2021 11:32 PM

r132 Is it true Esther Williams and Arlene Dahl hated each other?!

by Anonymousreply 157September 12, 2021 1:15 AM

r144 That is a fantastic photo!!

by Anonymousreply 158September 12, 2021 1:17 AM

R144 Big Esther has much bigger shoulders and chest than Ricardo.

R129 That show 'Leave it to Lamas' only lasted 8 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 159September 12, 2021 1:34 AM

R159, And on one episode they visited Arlene in NY. Among the grandchildren, Arlene is known as "Gaga".

by Anonymousreply 160September 12, 2021 3:41 AM

Wicked as they Come

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 12, 2021 3:54 AM

That was pretty stupid for the producers of TOC to make that offer to Merman. I'm surprised Klugman didn't say to them are you out of your minds?!

by Anonymousreply 162September 12, 2021 3:58 AM

Lex Barker shows up in LA DOLCE VITA, so he was in at least one great movie. He's the drunk and sullen husband of Anita Ekberg. The role was not much of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 163September 12, 2021 12:22 PM

Lex Barker with fur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 12, 2021 12:29 PM

Love the fur! Wish he had displayed it more often.

by Anonymousreply 165September 12, 2021 12:46 PM

Arlene Dawl had a nicely proportioned head but a ghostly complexion.

Both Lamas and Lex Barker should have had a quarter of an inch chopped off their nose(s).

by Anonymousreply 166September 12, 2021 10:57 PM

Nancy Davis…how did she get a movie contract? She was not photogenic. At all.

Other than ITS A WOMANS WORLD, Dahl made few memorable films. She was more known for her looks.

by Anonymousreply 167September 12, 2021 11:58 PM

People rag on DL all the time but threads like this are why I still come here for 20+ years. Where else could you find so many compelling and articulate answers to the question "Why is Arlene Dahl not a gay icon?"

by Anonymousreply 168September 13, 2021 12:44 AM

R168, I hesitated posting it, thinking it might go nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 169September 13, 2021 12:49 AM

Woman's World has an all-star cast and Arlene walks away with the film.

There must have been something else going on there for her not to continue with other good roles.

by Anonymousreply 170September 13, 2021 2:05 AM

Did she make most of her money from endorsements? Maybe she thought bitch roles would limit her "lifestyle" marketing opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 171September 13, 2021 2:57 AM

Arlene's Beauty Spot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 13, 2021 3:08 AM

This is an Aussie satire of shows like The Arlene Dahl Beauty Spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 13, 2021 4:45 AM

[quote]Nancy Davis…how did she get a movie contract?

Are you unfamiliar with her title of "Blowjob Queen of Hollywood?"

by Anonymousreply 174September 13, 2021 4:50 AM

Her technique must have been astonishing because who would want to see that face going down on you?

by Anonymousreply 175September 13, 2021 5:29 AM

At the end of her life, Lana Turner started to favor Nancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 13, 2021 5:31 AM

Lorenzo Lamas said his mother basically left his father because he wanted her to give up her career and be a full time wife and mother. She wasn't quite ready for that and said, "See ya!" In contrast, Esther Williams, quit showbiz and devoted 13 years of her life to that man. Granted, by 1969, Esther's career wasn't exactly red hot, but still, she admitted to taking a subservient role in that relationship.

by Anonymousreply 177September 14, 2021 4:20 AM

Esther probably wanted to get away from her kids.

by Anonymousreply 178September 14, 2021 4:25 AM

After Esther died, Lorenzo tweeted that she was his "soul mom," which made me wonder how Arlene reacted.

by Anonymousreply 179September 14, 2021 4:30 AM

Lana sure became tiresome. And I'd forgotten how nauseating Robin Leach could be.

by Anonymousreply 180September 14, 2021 11:28 AM

Yes, R180. It was so astonishing that no one called Lana on her hypocrisy - after all the drinking, rough sex, marriages, affairs outside of marriage (did she break all 10 commandments?) it turns out the guy who is the love of her life was...Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 181September 14, 2021 1:40 PM

Applause closed one month after she took over. By all accounts she was not good.

by Anonymousreply 182September 14, 2021 1:48 PM

R181: Well, Lana had just about everyone else. Who was left?

by Anonymousreply 183September 14, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote] Applause closed one month after she took over. By all accounts she was not good.

Only the people in the first four rows of the audience could hear what she was saying.

by Anonymousreply 184September 14, 2021 3:52 PM

No one fills you up like Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 185September 14, 2021 3:55 PM

R181, I don't know much about Lana's later life, but if a person lived wantonly in their youth, and then surrendered to the Lord and was repentant and tried to live by those Christian principles, then I have no problem with that. If, however, a person continued with their wanton lifestyle and spoke the way Lana did in that interview, then she'd be a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 186September 14, 2021 4:08 PM

R184, Four rows was considered capacity for Arlene.

John "Ryan's Hope" Gabriel was her Bill Sampson.

by Anonymousreply 187September 14, 2021 4:55 PM

Why was she even cast? Was the show already failing with Anne Baxter?

by Anonymousreply 188September 14, 2021 4:56 PM

R185, Or in Lana's case, Johnny Stompanato.

by Anonymousreply 189September 14, 2021 4:58 PM

They didn't even add the fringe to her But Alive costume, r182.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 14, 2021 5:03 PM

R188, Maybe Anne Baxter had another commitment. Producers wanted Rita Hayworth, but she couldn’t remember her lines.

They toyed with the idea of Lizabeth Scott, but went with Arlene.

by Anonymousreply 191September 14, 2021 5:03 PM

Did they try for Polly Bergen?

by Anonymousreply 192September 14, 2021 5:04 PM

Anne Baxter played the role for nine months.

by Anonymousreply 193September 14, 2021 5:07 PM

From one of our friends at BWW:

[Quote] But finding replacements for Bacall was always a challenge. I saw Ann Baxter, and loved her, but many didn't, and found her too much. I also saw Eleanor Parker on the road -- whom you'd think would be just right, after her turn in SOUND OF MUSIC. But she underplayed too the point of zombie, and it didn't cook. As has been widely noted, Rita Hayworth tried to learn the part, and finally bowed out. Later we learned it was due to Alzheimers. Sad, because wouldn't Rita Hayworth burn the place down, in her prime?

by Anonymousreply 194September 14, 2021 5:11 PM

[Quote] I saw (Arlene). She was fine; handled the comedy well; sang well enough (that is to say, better than Bacall!). But after Bacall and Baxter had run for two years there wasn't much audience left and the show quietly folded weeks after Dahl arrived.

by Anonymousreply 195September 14, 2021 5:12 PM

Anne Baxter would not allow Arlene to use her dressing room......

by Anonymousreply 196September 14, 2021 5:17 PM

Fast forwarding to Woman of the Year, Bacall lobbied to have Dina Merrill replace her and was not pleased when producers went with Raquel Welch.

by Anonymousreply 197September 14, 2021 5:23 PM

R196, do you mean while Anne Baxter was still doing the show?

by Anonymousreply 198September 14, 2021 5:30 PM

[Quote] The next great replacement I saw was Anne Baxter in Applause. What might have been no more than a gimmick--Baxter played the title role in the source film All Above Eve and was now taking on the role of Margo Channing, succeeding Lauren Bacall--proved to be a thrilling star turn. Baxter's acting was more detailed and original than Bacall's (who, admittedly, was absolutely the right star to open the show with); Baxter was surprisingly good in the musical numbers, too, and provided a great deal of glamour. Following Baxter was Arlene Dahl, who was barely summer-stock level. I've never gotten over my disappointment that the star originally announced to follow Bacall--Rita Hayworth--was unable to do so because she was already suffering symptoms of what would prove to be Alzheimer's Disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 14, 2021 5:31 PM

Hitchs Frenzy closed the curtain on Applause prematurely.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 14, 2021 5:35 PM

Because we already have an Arlene who's a DL icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 14, 2021 5:39 PM

That was hardly Rita's prime, r194, but she definitely would have been the best dancer in the role. It wasn't that Parker underplayed, it was that she didn't have the right persona. The Baroness was in no way comparable to Margo. Parker could take on a bitchy role, but she wasn't as effective as Davis, Bacall, or Baxter. She was bitch-lite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 14, 2021 5:50 PM

Welcome to...Anne Baxter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 14, 2021 5:53 PM

I wonder if they approached Jane Russell. She probably wouldn't have liked the gay dresser.

by Anonymousreply 204September 14, 2021 6:02 PM

R199. Thanks so much for posting that article. I’m so glad Kathrynann Wright was mentioned. Her Sheila in ACL was brilliant and even surpassed Kelly Bishop. Plus she’s absolutely gorgeous. An unforgettable performance.

by Anonymousreply 205September 14, 2021 6:02 PM

The less said about Stefanie Powers and the aborted Applause revival the better. Dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 206September 14, 2021 6:04 PM

R204, Jane would have been in Company around that time.

by Anonymousreply 207September 14, 2021 6:16 PM

Dolores gave a gritty Dorothy Brock? Hm.

by Anonymousreply 208September 14, 2021 6:30 PM

How did Jayne Summerhays compare to Wright and Bishop?

by Anonymousreply 209September 14, 2021 6:30 PM

What would one expect, r206? It's a weak/dated star vehicle. Stefanie deserved something she was better suited for...like Phyllis.

by Anonymousreply 210September 14, 2021 6:33 PM

Margo Springfield!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 14, 2021 6:34 PM

R210, Stefanie later replaced Valerie Harper on tour in Looped.

by Anonymousreply 212September 14, 2021 7:14 PM

Yes, she did, r212.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213September 14, 2021 7:37 PM

Let's face it, girls--the success of any "Applause" production depends wholly on the presence of Miss Bonnie Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 214September 14, 2021 7:45 PM

Tying two topics together: Reprise did "Applause" with Sheryl Lee Ralph, Jean-Louisa Kelly, and James Avery. I had tickets for the first performance, which got cancelled due to a bomb threat (no pun intended.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 14, 2021 7:47 PM

R201, is the DL Pantheon not big enough for two Arlenes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 14, 2021 7:47 PM

Oh-- forgot to mention (tying in ANOTHER topic) - Kevin Earley played Bill Sampson in the Reprise production.

by Anonymousreply 217September 14, 2021 7:48 PM

I saw Candy Brown, r214. Bonnie was not missed.

Candy, btw, is the only living dancer to have worked with Mr. Bob Fosse in Liza With a Z; the original Pippin and the original Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 218September 14, 2021 7:48 PM

And Leslie Odom, Jr. was in the ensemble!

by Anonymousreply 219September 14, 2021 7:48 PM

Jane Summerhays was a great Sheila. Got all the laughs and stunning.

by Anonymousreply 220September 14, 2021 8:46 PM

Jane - ACL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221September 14, 2021 9:35 PM

Jane Summerhays stoodby for Lesley Ann Warren in Dream. She must have stories!

by Anonymousreply 222September 14, 2021 10:08 PM

Dream!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223September 14, 2021 10:11 PM

R216 Is that Arlene Dawl on the far right?

I recognise Gloria but none of the others.

by Anonymousreply 224September 14, 2021 11:07 PM

Arlene Francis, Anita Gillette and Kitty C. are there, r224.

by Anonymousreply 225September 14, 2021 11:09 PM

Thank you, R225. I assume that's a behind-the-scenes eldergay at the back. Or perhaps it's Gloria's minder.

by Anonymousreply 226September 14, 2021 11:12 PM

Here are the names.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 14, 2021 11:25 PM

[Quote] In 1978, his book No Pickle, No Performance An Irreverent Theatrical Excursion from Tallulah to Travolta was published by Doubleday. It detailed his humorous exploits working with some of the best known entertainers of the twentieth century.

I still remember the summer stock threads, especially the married couple who double teamed Travolta (or did the wife tap out?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228September 14, 2021 11:28 PM

Is Harold Kennedy a Datalounger amongst us?

by Anonymousreply 229September 14, 2021 11:41 PM

He died in the late 1980s, so yes.

by Anonymousreply 230September 14, 2021 11:48 PM

What is Candy Brown doing now? I probably saw her in Applause and Chicago but I remember her most clearly in Pippin.

by Anonymousreply 231September 15, 2021 12:01 AM

r231...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 15, 2021 12:10 AM

R228, He was brutal to Ginger Rogers and her then husband, William Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 233September 15, 2021 12:40 AM

R227, Only Arlene and Anita are still breathing.

by Anonymousreply 234September 15, 2021 12:41 AM

What about Renee Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 235September 15, 2021 12:44 AM

r197 I wonder if Raquel Welch and Lauren Bacall had an argument about that? Something I would have delighted in seeing as a fly on the wall!

by Anonymousreply 236September 15, 2021 12:51 AM

Didn't Bacall do something with the dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 237September 15, 2021 12:58 AM

When a replacement star is rehearsing, of course it happens in the theater where the show is playing with the current star.

So, where do you settle the replacement star when she breaks from rehearsals, where does she put all her stuff??

by Anonymousreply 238September 15, 2021 1:04 AM

When a replacement star is rehearsing, of course it happens in the theater where the show is playing with the current star.

So, where do you settle the replacement star when she breaks from rehearsals, where does she put all her stuff??

by Anonymousreply 239September 15, 2021 1:04 AM

Raquel has said Bacall left a message on the mirror wishing her luck.

At first, Raquel only covered for Bacall's vacation, but the producers were impressed and offered her the role when Bacall went on tour.

by Anonymousreply 240September 15, 2021 1:04 AM

r240 Awe That was sweet of Lauren I feel even though I relish the thought of them getting into a slanging match!

by Anonymousreply 241September 15, 2021 1:05 AM

Bacall addresses the Raquel situation @ 9:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242September 15, 2021 1:08 AM

I've read Bacall's memoir. I don't recall that she said the show's publicists were working against her.

by Anonymousreply 243September 15, 2021 1:11 AM

R243, "By Myself" was published two years before Woman of the Year opened.

by Anonymousreply 244September 15, 2021 1:13 AM

r244

I think it had revisions. I read it this century.

by Anonymousreply 245September 15, 2021 1:14 AM

The memoir I read included "Sweet Bird of Youth." I think Bacall did that in the mid to late 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 246September 15, 2021 1:15 AM

That's a truly great interview with Bacall at r242. Thanks for posting it. She comes across as very smart, level-headed and reasonable.

Kupcinet (the interviewer) tries to get her to respond to rumors that she was feuding with Raquel but Bacall doesn't quite take the bait. She infers that Raquel's PR people and perhaps the show's PR people wanted to create a feud when Bacall wasn't interested in joining Raquel for photos and publicizing her replacing her. She rather politely lets Raquel off the hook.

Does anyone know anything about Bacall's daughter Leslie Bogart? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of her as adult. IIRC she studied to be a nurse, but I guess I read that a long time ago. She must be well into her 50s or maybe 60s by now.

by Anonymousreply 247September 15, 2021 1:33 AM

You know his daughter was a starlet and possible murdered, right?

by Anonymousreply 248September 15, 2021 1:36 AM

*possibly

by Anonymousreply 249September 15, 2021 1:36 AM

I believe Leslie teaches yoga.

by Anonymousreply 250September 15, 2021 1:36 AM

Yes, r248, I'm old enough to remember seeing photos of starlet Karen Kupcinet in 1960s movie magazines. And I remember her sad death.

by Anonymousreply 251September 15, 2021 1:39 AM

R251, There's no question it was murder, which remains unsolved. Karyn was dating actor Andrew Prine at the time of her death, but he was cleared of any involvement.

by Anonymousreply 252September 15, 2021 1:47 AM

R247, Leslie Howard Bogart is 69 and lives in Los Angeles with her husband, no children. They both teach yoga and she's also involved with animal shelters. For years, she worked as a nurse in Boston and lived on the same street as a friend of mine in Arlington.

by Anonymousreply 253September 15, 2021 1:52 AM

Leslie, Sam, Bacall, Stephen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254September 15, 2021 1:56 AM

R238 and R239, what stuff would she have in rehearsal? A bag? You put it in a seat in the house, the same place you put your ass on a break. You don't want people messing up your dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 255September 15, 2021 2:02 AM

Elaine Paige did the same to her matinee Eva, Susannah Fellowes.

by Anonymousreply 256September 15, 2021 2:05 AM

R253 Humphrey Bogart did three pictures with Leslie Howard.

It has to be more than a coincidence that his child is named Leslie Howard.

by Anonymousreply 257September 15, 2021 2:23 AM

Do you think they were banging?

by Anonymousreply 258September 15, 2021 2:27 AM

If so, R258, Leslie was certainly slumming it.

by Anonymousreply 259September 15, 2021 2:29 AM

Larry Olivier fucking Danny Kaye was the really slumming it situation.

by Anonymousreply 260September 15, 2021 2:32 AM

Most of her rehearsals wouldn't have been on the set, r238.

by Anonymousreply 261September 15, 2021 2:34 AM

Is every old lady who was once famous supposed to be a gay icon?

by Anonymousreply 262September 15, 2021 2:47 AM

R260 Those two names would be a good example of 'slumming it' but as I keep on saying they were merely rehearsing a music hall number for a fund-raiser performance. Any sexual goings-on are completely in the fetid, malodorous minds of gossips.

by Anonymousreply 263September 15, 2021 2:48 AM

Do you make similar comments when opposite sex names are linked?

by Anonymousreply 264September 15, 2021 2:51 AM

R254, Leslie has Kathleen Turner's face.

by Anonymousreply 265September 15, 2021 2:54 AM

R264 It depends who the names are. I care if the person is a talented hard worker and their reputation is trashed by people who don't appreciate that hard work.

by Anonymousreply 266September 15, 2021 2:57 AM

Trashed? Why would Olivier and Kaye fucking trash their reputations?

by Anonymousreply 267September 15, 2021 2:59 AM

Olivier was fascinated by the complete gamut of human behaviour. He paid attention to all sorts of people from all different classes and all different countries.

He was an obsessive, energetic man who enjoyed all challenges.

He could see that his main task was bringing Shakespeare to a wider audience but he liked seeing performers and clowns who could get a strong reaction from audiences in a vulgar, non-cerebral way (ie Danny Kaye).

He may have used that Danny Kaye vulgarity in 'The Entertainer'. But he says he it was based on someone called Sid Field (who appears in a rarely-shown appalling camp comedy called 'London Town')

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 15, 2021 3:15 AM

What had Lucy done to make Arlene so cross? Arlene looks livid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269September 15, 2021 3:21 AM

Oooh, r269, tense.

by Anonymousreply 270September 15, 2021 3:29 AM

That's Arlene in the front row on the right, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 15, 2021 3:32 AM

I’m guessing Welch and her then hubby out-cunted Bacall. Also, Bacall wrote a sequel to her first memoir.

by Anonymousreply 272September 15, 2021 3:42 AM

Oof. Angie has the Mamie Eisenhower.

by Anonymousreply 273September 15, 2021 3:48 AM

[Quote] Also, Bacall wrote a sequel to her first memoir.

I think it was expanded. The original was "By Myself." The expanded was "By Myself and Then Some."

by Anonymousreply 274September 15, 2021 3:49 AM

R274, Correct, I have it on Audiobook.

by Anonymousreply 275September 15, 2021 4:20 AM

R269, she told her she and Viv had a Fernando sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 276September 15, 2021 7:35 AM

R257, Bogart was eternally grateful to Leslie Howard for refusing to appear in the film version of "The Petrified Forest" unless Bogart was also cast.

Even though Bogart was a sensation playing Duke Mantee in the Broadway production, Jack Warner did not want him for the film, but Leslie Howard prevailed.

by Anonymousreply 277September 15, 2021 12:54 PM

That's, of course, the MGM company photo at r271, which I think was taken in 1948, the 25th anniversary, 5 years after the most famous one. I like that the stars are made to sit alphabetically, no matter their status. There's Spencer Tracy way up in the back with Esther Williams. Well, I love this photo but perhaps it has a more perfunctory, dutiful look than the earlier one.

As WWII was over, more stars were available and could be corralled into appearing., including Judy Garland and Clark Gable, who were absent from the earlier one. And Fred Astaire was now a contract player and Ginger Rogers is also there though I think it was just to make The Barkleys of Broadway with Fred.

Well, actually there are many missing: where the hell were Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas? Myrna Loy, Greer Garson and Hedy Lamarr? Was Cyd Charisse a star yet, she's not there? Mickey Rooney, or was he already on the outs? And I guess Lucy's contract was not picked up. Also, sadly missing is Lena Horne who does appear in the filmed footage of the famous luncheon which took place the same day.

by Anonymousreply 278September 15, 2021 1:18 PM

I can't imagine how glorious it was to be at MGM in 1940 when Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, and even Greta Garbo were still working there on a daily basis, yet the newer ladies Hedy Lamarr, Greer Garson and Lana Turner were crowding the old ones out. Not to mention Myrna Loy, Judy Garland, Katharine Hepburn, Jeanette MacDonald, Eleanor Powell, Margaret Sullavan and Ann Sothern. All there together every day!

How did they ever schedule the early morning hair and makeup calls? Sydney Guilaroff must have bee much in demand!

by Anonymousreply 279September 15, 2021 1:28 PM

" . . . where the hell were Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas?"

Probably fucking.

by Anonymousreply 280September 15, 2021 1:37 PM

R278 said: [quote]I like that the stars are made to sit alphabetically, no matter their status.

But why is Lionel Barrymore before June Allyson, and not sitting next to Ethel?

I think Arlene, Dame Angela, Jane Powell, and Dean Stockwell are the only ones still with us. It's amazing to think that that part of movie history still walks among us.

by Anonymousreply 281September 15, 2021 2:12 PM

Stefanie Powers on Broadway? How was she? Never really cared for her onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 282September 15, 2021 2:51 PM

Claude Jarman Jr. is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 283September 15, 2021 3:24 PM

Only on DL would we have discussion taking the body of work of Stefanie Powers seriously. A pal who was on that Broadway bound but aborted APPLAUSE tour said she was awful, and nasty to the other people working on the show to boot. Her combination of facemaking and dead eyes on HART TO HART is almost unbearable, and as someone upthread said of Joan Collins, Powers is another one who can make a custom gown costing thousands of dollars look like polyester ready to wear. I cannot imagine her in a transformational part like Tallulah Bankhead, which Valerie Harper to her great credit did very well.

I think Powers' pluses were that she is certainly good looking and poised, and she was cast in a series of roles early on that most anyone could have done. Under the studio system, she amassed a body of respectable work fairly quickly.

by Anonymousreply 284September 15, 2021 5:44 PM

" Under the studio system, she amassed a body of respectable work fairly quickly."

Really, r284? Quick! Name 4 Stefanie Powers movies from that era.

by Anonymousreply 285September 15, 2021 5:59 PM

Die! Die My Darling!

by Anonymousreply 286September 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Love Has Many Faces!

by Anonymousreply 287September 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Hold Me Closer, April Dancer!

by Anonymousreply 288September 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Palm Springs Weekend!

by Anonymousreply 289September 15, 2021 6:17 PM

Obviously, they moved Lionel Barrymore to the end of the row in the MGM photo so he could more comfortably manspread and fart. June Allyson was fine with that. Ethel, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 290September 15, 2021 6:20 PM

"Experiment in Terror" with the divine Lee Remick.

by Anonymousreply 291September 15, 2021 6:31 PM

Presenting an Oscar to Helen Fucking Lawson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292September 15, 2021 6:45 PM

Her later in life look was so heavily made up, it's interesting to see her as an ingenue.

by Anonymousreply 293September 15, 2021 6:52 PM

I remember as a kid loving a short-lived TV series in the 1960s called Hollywood and the Movies (I think that was the title), produced by David Wolper, that would usually focus on an aspect of vintage movie making each week. It was unusual at the time because it preceded the great interest and enthusiasm for nostalgia of a few years later.

Usually the episodes had titles like: The Westerns, The Gangster Films, The Horror Films, The Sex Symbols, etc., for example, but one week, oddly enough, it focused on the burgeoning career of starlet Stephanie Powers and the machinations of turning her into a star. I think it was when she was making Die! Die! My Darling! and the making of the film was featured. Now, I realize, the film was probably produced by the same studio that produced Hollywood and the Movies.

I think there are episodes of the series to be found on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 294September 15, 2021 6:53 PM

You should see the way John Alton photographs her in THE BLACK BOOK (aka REIGN OF TERROR), a low budget French Revolution flick made at Eagle-Lion in 1948. She looks like a goddess. She never looked that good at MGM.

by Anonymousreply 295September 15, 2021 6:59 PM

Rhonda had more striking bone structure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296September 15, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote]I remember as a kid loving a short-lived TV series in the 1960s called Hollywood and the Movies (I think that was the title), produced by David Wolper, that would usually focus on an aspect of vintage movie making each week.

I remember watching that series as a kid, R294. It was called "Hollywood and the Stars."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297September 15, 2021 7:09 PM

Yes! Hollywood and the Stars.....I knew I didn't have the title quite right. Thanks, r297.

And I'm now remembering that the film they focus on in the Stephanie Powers episode was Experiment in Terror not Die! Die! My Darling!

by Anonymousreply 298September 15, 2021 7:14 PM

Bacall’s second memoir is called NOW. I’ve got a copy.

by Anonymousreply 299September 16, 2021 1:23 AM

She even did an "enhanced edition" of NOW? Are they just the same memoir retitled?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300September 16, 2021 1:26 AM

Stephanie Powers has a nice speaking voice and must be one of the last actors to have been taught mid-atlantic accent.

by Anonymousreply 301September 16, 2021 2:15 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302September 16, 2021 2:27 AM

What about me, bitches? Isn't this my thread??

by Anonymousreply 303September 16, 2021 3:08 AM

...sigh. Yes, Arlene...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 16, 2021 3:12 AM

You can act scenes from "Casablanca" with Arlene!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 16, 2021 3:15 AM

I prefer to co-star with Tallulah, r305.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 16, 2021 3:21 AM

Lorenzo has declared bankruptcy several times. He just keeps getting married and keeps having kids. If his mother dies before his stepfather I wonder if he'll get screwed out of any inheritance. His son AJ was hot but got in some police trouble and you haven't heard about him in a while. Arlene might just leave Lorenzo nothing. Who are her other two kids?

by Anonymousreply 307September 16, 2021 4:46 AM

R307, "In addition to Lorenzo Lamas, Dahl has two other children: a daughter Christina Carole Holmes (born August 3, 1961) by third husband Christian R. Holmes, and a second son, Rounsevelle Andreas Schaum (born December 7, 1970), by her fifth husband, Rounsevelle W. “Skip” Schaum. She has six grandchildren (one of whom is Shayne Lamas) and two great-grandchildren."

by Anonymousreply 308September 16, 2021 7:14 AM

R307, In addition to the arrests below, Lorenzo caught AJ in bed with one of his trashy wives.

In 2012, AJ Lamas was accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend's home (Jessie Schulman) and holding her captive in the bathroom. Schulman filed a restraining order, claiming she broke up with A.J. and moved on to a new relationship. Lamas denied the incident saying he was only trying to talk to Schulman.

Also in 2012, Lamas was arrested for DUI; he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 36 months probation and $1,600 in fines.

In 2015, Lamas was arrested after allegedly shoplifting at Target and assaulting a security guard.

by Anonymousreply 309September 16, 2021 7:22 AM

Lorenzo announced via video on his social media he had a vasectomy this year. He's a big Republican--lots of pro-Trump stuff--and has an investment in a vineyard (bottoms who buy red wine might want to serve their tops the Baby Maker) and does helicopter piloting mainly, acting on the side when the gigs come along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 16, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote]I think Arlene, Dame Angela, Jane Powell, and Dean Stockwell are the only ones still with us. It's amazing to think that that part of movie history still walks among us.

I think I spoke to soon.

RIP Jane.

by Anonymousreply 311September 17, 2021 12:25 AM

Yike! TOO soon.

by Anonymousreply 312September 17, 2021 12:26 AM

Don't forget lovely Marsha Hunt, everyone. She even appears in the MGM 20th Anniversary photo.

by Anonymousreply 313September 17, 2021 12:32 AM

Don't forget lovely Marsha Hunt, everyone. She even appears in the MGM 20th Anniversary photo.

by Anonymousreply 314September 17, 2021 12:32 AM

I have absolutely no fucking idea who she is in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 315September 17, 2021 1:16 AM

R315, Same for Audrey Totter.

by Anonymousreply 316September 17, 2021 1:22 AM

I used to mix up Audrey Totter with Marie Windsor...

by Anonymousreply 317September 17, 2021 2:26 AM

And I mixed up Audrey Totter with Lurene Tuttle.

And Greer Garson with Gretchen Wyler, of all people!

by Anonymousreply 318September 17, 2021 2:33 AM

Greer Garson took over for Juliet Prowse in the London Sweet Charity. That's how I tell them apart, r318.

by Anonymousreply 319September 17, 2021 2:36 AM

Wow, the guy on the right in R297's pic is Broncho Billy Anderson who started movies in 1902! Probably the earliest movie star ever and here he is on DL.

by Anonymousreply 320September 17, 2021 2:39 AM

Marie Windsor mostly made grade-Z melodramas and sci-fi films. She was featured in "Cat Women of the Moon". Compared with her, Audrey Totter was the Streep of her day.

by Anonymousreply 321September 17, 2021 2:42 AM

Like Hotsy-Totsy Totter was A-List, r321??? Piffle. I'll take Marie over Audrey any old day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322September 17, 2021 2:44 AM

Gretch...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323September 17, 2021 2:50 AM

Gretchen Wyler was Janis Paige without the Hollywood credits.

Btw, today is Janis Paige's 99th birthday and SHE'S STILL HERE!

by Anonymousreply 324September 17, 2021 2:52 AM

Janis had...verve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 17, 2021 2:54 AM

LOL, R319.

by Anonymousreply 326September 17, 2021 3:01 AM

I always lump Arlene Dahl, Rhonda Fleming, and Ruta Lee together. Can't tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 327September 17, 2021 3:09 AM

None of them could compare to the uniquely terpsichorean Silvana Mangano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 17, 2021 3:24 AM

Yes, Marsha Hunt! No better Miss Havisham!

by Anonymousreply 329September 17, 2021 4:15 AM

R323, Betty Bacall's u/s in Applause, never went on once.

by Anonymousreply 330September 17, 2021 5:19 AM

Martita Hunt was Miss Havisham. Marsha Hunt was the little spinster sister in Pride and Prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 331September 17, 2021 1:06 PM

Has Arlene commented on MGM colleague Jane Powell's passing?

by Anonymousreply 332September 17, 2021 1:07 PM

How very Susan Dey of Arlene not to have commented on Jane Powell.

by Anonymousreply 333September 17, 2021 4:48 PM

Arlene is 96 years old and might not even remember who Jane is.

by Anonymousreply 334September 17, 2021 6:53 PM

Arlene believes it was Colin Powell who died.

by Anonymousreply 335September 17, 2021 7:01 PM

Gretchen Wyler stoodby for Bacall in Applause but not sure if she stuck around for Baxter. She ended up playing Margo in stock. Louise Troy was the WOTY standby and went on 2.5 times for Debbie.

by Anonymousreply 336September 18, 2021 12:09 AM

I'm not surprised it closed so soon with Debbie. She's just bellowing here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337September 18, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote] She's just bellowing here

Why isn't she using a microphone? She used a microphone for the previous 50 years in her career.

by Anonymousreply 338September 18, 2021 12:13 AM

R337, Debbie became ill not long into her run. I recall her fainting at a press event for the show. I've seen a boot of a complete performance and Debbie's dancing was far better than Bacall or Welch, especially Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 339September 18, 2021 2:10 AM

Debbie was under a tremendous amount of stress trying to keep the show open. She had an ‘episode’ and blacked out at the end of the first act during a Saturday matinee. She was hospitalized but back onstage Tuesday night. Show closed that Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 340September 18, 2021 2:16 AM

Debbie's "One of the Boys" used to be on Youtube. It was good.

by Anonymousreply 341September 18, 2021 2:37 AM

The only people Jane ever trashed were Debbie and Gower. She considered them friends from her MGM days and when she stepped into a huge musical like Irene where the lead has to carry the show she received not even so much as a good luck postcard from either of them. She was totally on her own and pretty frightened.

by Anonymousreply 342September 18, 2021 2:39 AM

Did they ever make up, R342? They shared the same birthday (not the year, Jane was older). Debbie made it to 84, Jane to 92 years old.

by Anonymousreply 343September 18, 2021 2:46 AM

I can't say if Jane and Debbie ever made up....first of all, it doesn't sound like Jane ever had it out with Debbie or Gower, so there'd really be nothing to make up, r343.....but there's a clip of Jane and Debbie appearing together on an old Dinah Shore show (from I'm guessing the early 1980s, anyway long after IRENE) and they seem perfectly comfortable with each other. You can find it on the JANE POWELL is dead to me thread.

It's kind of a fun clip as the theme is "Hollywood Glamour" and Dinah's other guests are Jane Russell, Diahann Carroll and Jean Peters, who are all there to pay tribute to costume designer Bill Travilla. As might be expected, Debbie keeps stealing focus from the other ladies.

by Anonymousreply 344September 18, 2021 3:09 AM

Jean must have issued a "No Howard Hughes questions" edict.

by Anonymousreply 345September 18, 2021 11:24 AM

I was looking for something Travilla and came across this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346September 19, 2021 4:08 AM

What the hell was "Sangaree"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347September 22, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote] What the hell

Sangaree was the hellish nickname invented by this sex-mad Argentinian.

It refers to this skinny Norwegian woman's imaginary breasts.

The Argentinian salivates over the DEPTH of her imaginary breasts which reach into three dimensions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348September 22, 2021 9:03 PM

Her imaginary bosoms were advertised again the same year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349September 23, 2021 1:05 AM

Arlene says that an 11 year old Cheryl Turner could not have been repeatedly fucked by Lex Barker because she would be dead.

by Anonymousreply 350September 23, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote]Arlene says that an 11 year old Cheryl Turner could not have been repeatedly fucked by Lex Barker because she would be dead.

Lex was lucky that Cheryl didn't stab HIM to death.

by Anonymousreply 351September 23, 2021 4:25 AM

Arlene seems happy to talk about Lex's "package" with some silly queen yet she comes up with this ludicrous opinion about the situation which says more about her than about Cheryl or even Lex. Her idea that a lesbian (who probably knew she was a lesbian at that age) was playing Lolita with Lex seems preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 352September 28, 2021 8:17 PM

R347: "Everahtheen ees deferrent. We have lenth [FL's hands alluding to his pinga], we have hithe . . "

by Anonymousreply 353September 29, 2021 8:25 PM

Norway didn't produce many movie stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354October 1, 2021 12:48 AM

^ Poor Greta was given some outlandish dresses and an ugly screen name but she did appear in one good movie— it's a Hitchcock-style 'Noir' co-starring TWO homosexuals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355October 1, 2021 1:20 AM

I'm just jealous that Arlene got to play with Fernando's and Lex's big cocks and who knows how many others.

by Anonymousreply 356October 1, 2021 10:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!