Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: the 'Dark Shadows' house is foe sale! Boo!

This castle-like estate on Ruggles Avenue has donned many names: Seaview Terrace, Burnham-by-the-Sea, Carey Mansion. (For fans of “Dark Shadows,” the horror soap opera that use its facade as an exterior set, it will always be Collinwood Mansion.)

But before all that, it was known as Aladdin’s Palace and it occupied a city block in Washington D.C. Its whiskey baron owner, Edson Bradley, bought and renovated the palatial mansion with hopes of avoiding Prohibition in the nation’s capital. But D.C. went dry and, like a genie summoned from its bottle, Bradley had a fleet of workers dismantle whole rooms from the house, transport them 400 miles and tack them onto an existing mansion in Newport. (Those rooms, it should be noted, had been imported from France and installed in D.C. just twenty years earlier.) The Frankensteinian task of adding onto one mansion with pieces of another — while also melding Jacobean, French Renaissance and Elizabethan Revival influences to a cohesive Chateauesque whole — earned its architect a president’s medal from the American League of Architects, per Seaview CARES,and a nod in Ripley’s Believe it or Not.

“There’s so much history here,” says Vin Fraioli of Edge Realty RI, which listed the property late last month. He mentions the mansion — the largest privately owned estate in Newport — was used by the U.S. Army during World War II and, for a spell, it also housed a girls’ boarding school. In the 1970s, it was purchased by the Carey family, who leased the mansion’s performance hall and stables to Salve Regina University. The family resumed occupancy in 2009 and, now, Seaview Terrace is on the market for its next steward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2022 12:44 AM

er, FOR sale!

by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2021 9:55 PM

I hope whoever owns it next re-names it Collinwood.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2021 1:30 AM

The guy was obsessed with real estate. Whisky was very, very good to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2021 2:05 AM

I just saw that this was for sale and thought maybe Tasteful Friends had "done" it.

Interesting to see the interiors and find them better than expected, though I had seen old photos of the place more in it's prime.

Watching Dark Shadows as a child (as was done but every future Data Lounger of my generation, it seems), I always wanted the Dark Shadows interiors to match the promise of the exterior. The pleasant but tight entry hall in the series, for example, and the adjoining drawing room were much too modest for the exterior. Not so the real McCoy.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2022 4:07 PM

Listing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2022 4:07 PM

You wouldn't have hit the "e" if you didn't have those fat whore fingers, OP

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2022 4:10 PM

I love it but I don't think I could live in it. It's like a great opera set. Which I suppose it mostly was.

Hope it's preserved and the new owners don't decide they want a modern interior with fucking can lights.

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2022 4:11 PM

Strange, I’ve watched so many episodes of Dark Shadows over the years and own a lot of DVDs, and never thought to look up where this building used in the iconic intro is actually located. Guess I’m not the obsessed fan I’d thought I was!

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2022 4:18 PM

What's the list price?

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2022 4:21 PM

Cool place, beautiful ceilings in many of the rooms, but too big to be practical

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2022 4:44 PM

Does it come with the window treatments?

I just can't afford to buy curtains for all those windows..

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2022 4:50 PM

Does it come with Dark Shadow's actress Grayson Hall?

I need her to be overemoting in every single room!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2022 4:53 PM

Well, at $29.9 million we'll have to eat beans for a while.

But we simply can't let the Collins family home be sold to someone else!

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2022 4:57 PM

Does it come with the Collins family cemetery...

about which Roger Collins famously said on air,

"Yonder lie the bodies of my incestors."

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2022 4:59 PM

Beware the bats!

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2022 5:01 PM

Is the East Wing still closed up?

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2022 5:04 PM

It's magnificent, but what would anyone do with all that space? Maybe *carefully* *tastefully* break it into high-end condos? If done right, it could be incredible.

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2022 5:05 PM

There's a really neat young woman named Victoria Winters who will watch your children...

She's works for practically nothing!

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2022 5:07 PM

Is The Blue Whale just down the road? Let’s have a drink and a chat.

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2022 5:13 PM

I think its fabulous,but 43,000+ sq feet ??? WHO could live in that much space ?

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2022 6:19 PM

“I ran home after school to watch Dark Shadows”

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2022 6:23 PM

I’m pretty sure this was on American Pickers a few years ago during its restoration. The owner was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2022 6:26 PM

[quote] Does it come with Dark Shadow's actress Grayson Hall?

Yes, and with several doctor's bags filled with tranquilizers, since she needs them constantly to administer to overwrought ingenues (and Willy).

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2022 6:26 PM

Took Piano lessons here, it was an amazing place, but I always remember being cold and I hated my piano teacher!!!

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2022 6:27 PM

R17, that is done in the UK, where a big stately is turned into apartments (which are still huge.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2022 7:20 PM

Megan Draper on "Mad Men" was desperate for a part in "Dark Shadows"

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2022 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!