Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I HATE Number Streets

It's just SO FUCKIN' lazy of the city planners.

Except for Fifth Avenue NYC, which is the exception that proves the rule.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:48 PM

Lazy? Before GPS it was the best way to find your way around a city. Gainesville FL, where I live almost 20 years ago, had one of the best street systems I’ve ever used. As a new resident, I could find anything, by street number, name, and city quadrant. Streets were even named roads, lanes, etc by the direction they traveled in. Never needed GPS.

Where’s my UF folks? Don’t know about the rest of Florida, but Gainesville has streets down to an art form.

by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2021 1:08 PM

I wander around the West Village thanks to the quaint named streets grrrrr

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2021 1:16 PM

NUMBERED streets, you simpleton!

It's NUMBERED, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2021 1:19 PM

Fifth Avenue is not a street, twât

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2021 1:40 PM

We love Number Streets!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2021 1:52 PM

R3 Yas drag that homophobic bitch!

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2021 1:57 PM

If the OP were in charge of city planning we never would have had Slaughter on Tenth Avenue. Big loss.

by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2021 2:02 PM

Loved going to Portland where the downtown street names are in alphabetical order, so you know exactly how far it is from point A to point B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2021 2:16 PM

OP, you sound stupid. I can't imagine caring about this. Number streets are the only way to organize a large city street map.

Can you imagine if every crosstown street in manhattan had a unique name?

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2021 2:26 PM

I highly recommend The Address Book by Deirdre Mask: What Street Addresses Reveal about Identity, Race, Wealth and Power.

by Anonymousreply 10September 8, 2021 2:33 PM

Yeah OP, this is the biggest problem with America right now.

by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2021 3:04 PM

I agree it's lazy and how hard is it to carry a map (back then) or cell phone

Get with the times grandpa

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2021 3:10 PM

Lazy?

Try finding your way around Queens and report back.

by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2021 3:16 PM

Streets should be named after...Trees, Union Civil War heros, Presidents, and such. And they should NEVER, EVER have a street named after the city it's in. For example Chicago Avenue in Chicago is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 5:55 PM

Streets are named for their most basic function - navigation.

It's not a fucking history museum, you twats. It's a grid of roadways designed to get people and goods from one place to another. Ease of navigation for residents and visitors alike is the most important part. How good are you gonna feel when the ambulance, pizza man, and hookers can't find your house because they get lost somewhere between "Stonewall Jackson Court" and "Gaybraham Lincoln Avenue?"

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 6:07 PM

Girls, girls don't fight! Cunt Boulevard is named after all of you.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 6:11 PM

[quote]I HATE Number Streets...except for Fifth Avenue NYC, which is the exception that proves the rule.

So basically, you hate POOR numbered streets, OP

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 6:17 PM

Lubbock, Texas is very easy to navigate as long as you know the alphabet and can count. East-west streets are numbered and north-south streets are alphabetical

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 6:31 PM

3rd St also has a nice ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!