Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Dune”s COLLAPSE is COMPLETE!

“‘Dune’ Review: Spectacular and Engrossing…Until It Isn’t” - Variety

“A ponderous trudge through the desert.” - Hollywood Reporter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601October 25, 2021 5:52 AM

“A massive disappointment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2021 5:24 PM

I feel bad for Rebecca Furgeson. She’s a great actress but gets cast in the worst movies

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2021 5:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2021 5:25 PM

Casted

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2021 5:25 PM

Denis Villeneuve, say hello to your Netflix deal.

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2021 5:27 PM

[quote]the cinematic equivalent of being handed a novelty-sized check made out for six dollars

Ouch. Ehrlich getting in the zingers.

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2021 5:35 PM

OP, you slipping. You should've titled your thread, "Timothée Chalamet COLLAPSE is COMPLETE!"

He'll never be an A-list movie star.

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2021 5:37 PM

It needed a car chase and crash scene. More things blown up.

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2021 5:38 PM

Ehrlich's review gets better:

[quote]It helps that Chalamet is a natural fit in the role. The actor is something of a chosen one himself — a gawky New York kid who leveraged his internet boyfriend status into legitimate stardom — and Villeneuve helps steer him toward the dislocation of a bird-boned model descended from a line of sex mystics and Hemingways.

Spot on.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2021 5:39 PM

Tim-O-Tay is box office poison and he is officially OVAH!

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote] It needed a car chase and crash scene. More things blown up.

A Michael Bay film.

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2021 5:41 PM

I have low expectations for the film but most movie critics aren't the kind would appreciate Dune even if they do get the story right. The reviews won't be reliable

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2021 5:41 PM

Dune? Is this a major motion picture like Trog?

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2021 5:42 PM

Ehrlich’s review is a thing of beauty:

“Stellan Skargård is the undisputed MVP as Baron Harkonnen himself, whose performance finally answers the question: “What if ‘The Island of Dr. Moreau’-era Marlon Brando could fly?”

“Villeneuve is in love with the scale of these subterranean beasties, each of which is half as long as the R.M.S. Titanic, and he frames them with such palpable awe that you almost expect the “Jurassic Park” theme to play every time they rear their butthole heads.”

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2021 5:43 PM

I bet it will perform well despite the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2021 5:46 PM

R10: YES!!!

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2021 5:49 PM

OP's post isn't exactly bad. The reviewer didn't hate it, he just feels the second film will be better.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2021 5:51 PM

Damn, I was sort of low-key excited for this. Glad it’ll be on HBO Max so I can half-watch it

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2021 5:51 PM

There goes this film's hopes for any Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2021 6:01 PM

As the sun rises in the east, so adaptations of Dune flop every twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2021 6:07 PM

R19 it will get below the line

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Denis Villeneuve DEMANDS you see this in the theater like God intended!

You know, with 30 minutes of commercials, people talking and texting, and $7 cups of soda.

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2021 7:01 PM

For a different point of view...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2021 7:17 PM

David Rooney, THR:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2021 7:21 PM

I can't wait to see this!

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2021 7:21 PM

Totally agree with r2; Rebecca Ferguson is an immensely talented and absolutely gorgeous actress, I wish she were in better movies. Recently, she was the only good thing in the otherwise abysmal Reminiscence.

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2021 7:28 PM

Dune is bustin' out all over.

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2021 7:33 PM

R19 This is just one person in billions of people, not liking it. How is this of any relevance?

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2021 7:34 PM

R2 Gets cast? Who's forcing her to do all those shitty Mission Impossible movies? I'm sure she likes the check. So don't feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2021 7:35 PM

The M:I movies are Ferguson's better films. I despise Tom Cruise, but even I have to admit those movies are fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2021 7:39 PM

An alternative point of view:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2021 8:22 PM

Oscar Isaac is also a talented actor, but has been in lots of shitty movies, like Annihilation and the recent Star Wars crap.

by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2021 8:31 PM

I read once on here that he shows his butt in this. Did any of the early reviews confirm that?

by Anonymousreply 33September 3, 2021 9:01 PM

Dune the novel will never successfully be put into a cinema format.

You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 34September 3, 2021 9:49 PM

Meanwhile, David Lynch's Dune was released on 4k this week. I don't think it's totally terrible. It's much better thatn it's given credit for. Not a classic but it probably will look amazing on a 4k tv!

by Anonymousreply 35September 3, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote]Skarsgard’s levitating lard-ass

This review sounds like it was written by a DLer; in a nutshell, it sounds like movie is beautiful, but boring. No performances identified as terrible, though the reviewers seem to infer that Timmy is too much of a lightweight.

Actually, I kind of liked Annihilation (Natalie Portman's natural chilliness is put to good use for a change) - though I totally agree SW sucked. Isaac is a good actor, but maybe that Harrison Ford level stardom isn't going to happen

by Anonymousreply 36September 3, 2021 10:07 PM

This has glowing reviews. It's 85% on Rotten Tomatoes. You've started a thread with the only poor reviews. How desperate.

by Anonymousreply 37September 3, 2021 10:35 PM

I can't wait to see this film. I was a big fan of the books when I was young. The tv mini series with William Hurt was actually pretty good but this film looks like they got more thing right than wrong. Bad reviews won't deter me.

by Anonymousreply 38September 3, 2021 10:45 PM

I finally read the novel last year and thought it was pretty tedious and over-written

by Anonymousreply 39September 3, 2021 10:52 PM

I don't care about the reviews. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 40September 3, 2021 11:02 PM

Why would a movie studio give Denis Villeneuve another chance for a blockbuster after Blade Runner didn’t work out? How did they not learn from that mistake? The same thing is going to happen again.

It doesn’t look exciting, it looks like an artsy version of Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2021 11:11 PM

Critics could have said the same things about THE ARRIVAL. I wonder why they loved that film.

by Anonymousreply 42September 3, 2021 11:18 PM

I wanted this to be good, but I'm not surprised it is a miss. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2021 11:44 PM

I am surprised they showed it on September 3 when it doesn’t open until October 22. Who will want to see it now when bad reviews will circulate for weeks?

by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2021 11:54 PM

Various reviews from RT, reflecting the 85% score-

[quote] The new "Dune" should be a smash hit. It's a big old epic, the kind we need right now, to sweep us away from viruses, hurricanes, and wars in real life.

[quote] Dune is science fiction at its best. Denis Villeneuve has created one of the best fantasy features since Peter Jackson's journey into Middle Earth.

[quote] Villeneuve has made it very clear he'd rather his movie be viewed on the big screen. And he's right. The scale is jaw-dropping.

[quote] The casting choice is poor... It's a small, but noticeable chip in the paint when it comes to Dune - a work that's otherwise of such intimidating grandeur that it's hard to believe it even exists in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2021 11:58 PM

Rotten Tomatoes is owned by Warner Brothers - it’s hardly objective

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2021 11:59 PM

But RT doesn't own all the reviewers, does it?

So far: Fresh- 23 reviews, Rotten- 5 reviews

by Anonymousreply 47September 4, 2021 12:01 AM

R44, it's the risk you take when you premiere a movie at a major festival: you get a lot of press, but negative reviews can also hurt your box office prospects.

by Anonymousreply 48September 4, 2021 12:01 AM

I’ve noticed Rotten Tomatoes change since the super hero movies. Wonder Woman getting a 100% was total bullshit. It used to be so hard to score an 85% on that site and now it’s like every big blockbuster gets a 90-100 score unless it’s truly awful

by Anonymousreply 49September 4, 2021 12:05 AM

I'm still looking forward to it. I'll make up my own mind.

by Anonymousreply 50September 4, 2021 12:25 AM

I’ll sati it on HBO Max and will skip the 3D COVID-19 version in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 51September 4, 2021 12:29 AM

This kid ain’t a star.

by Anonymousreply 52September 4, 2021 1:48 AM

Does Timmy show worm?

by Anonymousreply 53September 4, 2021 1:48 AM

^ He's ridden plenty of worms in his day.

by Anonymousreply 54September 4, 2021 1:49 AM

23 reviews is NOTHING. A totally skewed perspective.

Consensus is not reached on Rottentomatoes until about 175 critics have weighed-in on a wide release like DUNE.

by Anonymousreply 55September 4, 2021 1:53 AM

I tried to read the book in the early 80s and found it so dull and ponderous I put it down after a hundred pages. Torture!

by Anonymousreply 56September 4, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote]Dune is bustin' out all over.

[quote]—Dune dune dune

I believe you mean:

—Dune dune DOOOONE!

by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2021 2:01 AM

I loved the Lynch Dune. The design is breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 58September 4, 2021 2:02 AM

"... has no lack of cinematic spectacle — from its majestic landscapes to its monumental architecture, nifty hardware and impressive spacecraft."

Good enough for me. I need some escapism right now.

by Anonymousreply 59September 4, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote] 23 reviews is NOTHING. A totally skewed perspective.

You're right. The only thing worse than saying the movie is doing fine based on 23 reviews would be starting a thread saying the movie is a complete failure based on 2 reviews.

by Anonymousreply 60September 4, 2021 2:26 AM

I am surprised they made another version of Dune considering Lynch's version didn't take off almost 40 years ago.

I am, however, loving the adoration for Rebecca Ferguson in this thread. She truly is a great actress and it's a shame she hasn't had that breakout role yet to show off all her talents. However, she's had a great career so far in hits like The Greatest Showman and the Mission Impossible series. She is definitely one of my favourite actresses right now. She has such warmth and intelligence that sets her apart from the rest.

Also, dare I say it, she does the one thing that most actresses haven't been able to achieve: she has genuine chemistry with Tom Cruise. Thank God the MI series dumped Michelle Monaghan and replaced her with Ferguson because Ferguson is a far better actress and she works better with Cruise and the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 61September 4, 2021 2:27 AM

I’ve never seen so many PR posts in a single thread.

PR shills, post post post!

by Anonymousreply 62September 4, 2021 2:28 AM

Actual footage of the collapse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 4, 2021 2:48 AM

R45 Let's put the last quote from the Independent in context, shall we?

[quote]But Dune is a complicated book. It’s also a complicated film. There’s a real question as to why the Fremen – whose language, dress, and culture are so directly inspired by the nomadic, Arabic Bedouin tribes – don’t feature any Middle Eastern and North African (Mena) actors in speaking roles, their leader instead played by Javier Bardem in a shemagh-inspired headscarf. The casting choice is poor, and will only cause further problems if Villeneuve is able to make the second part of this story. It’s a small, but noticeable chip in the paint when it comes to Dune – a work that’s otherwise of such intimidating grandeur that it’s hard to believe it even exists in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 64September 4, 2021 3:28 AM

Well, Rebecca Ferguson does have an amazing voice!

Oh wait, that was me singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 4, 2021 4:02 AM

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 09/03 **12**

This disgraced A- list actor had a going away orgy party with the meme actor and a bunch of other men.

Armie Hammer,Kevin Spacey or James Franco/Timothée Chalamet (‘Dune’ Venice Film Festival Review: Timothée Chalamet In Denis Villeneuve’s Spectacular And Defining Version Of Sci-Fi Cult Classic)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 4, 2021 4:18 AM

It's the pandemic's fault!

by Anonymousreply 67September 4, 2021 4:21 AM

The fangurls will save this movie!

by Anonymousreply 68September 4, 2021 4:23 AM

Nooo! I’ve been wanting to see this for a while. Womp.

by Anonymousreply 69September 4, 2021 4:30 AM

Really is the only film that would get me into theatre during a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 70September 4, 2021 4:51 AM

83% Fresh on RT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 4, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote]a work that's otherwise of such intimidating grandeur that it's hard to believe it even exists in the first place.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 72September 4, 2021 5:59 AM

The director seems worthless and a flop wrangler.

by Anonymousreply 73September 4, 2021 6:04 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 74September 4, 2021 6:49 AM

Why did my post get removed? I didn't say anything negative! All I said was critics opinions don't matter!

by Anonymousreply 75September 4, 2021 7:00 AM

[quote] There’s a real question as to why the Fremen – whose language, dress, and culture are so directly inspired by the nomadic, Arabic Bedouin tribes – don’t feature any Middle Eastern and North African (Mena) actors in speaking roles, their leader instead played by Javier Bardem in a shemagh-inspired headscarf.

The answer: because they're NOT Middle Eastern, nor are the North African (Mena). They are not evcen supposed to be from the planet Earth. They are Fremen from the planet Arrakis.

How I fucking hate the stupidity of wokeness!

by Anonymousreply 76September 4, 2021 7:11 AM

Lmao, Gamespot is complaining about how it perpetuates white savior myths. It really seems like all art is just being judged on the standard of whether or not it kisses the ass of people of color.

by Anonymousreply 77September 4, 2021 7:25 AM

In the time of Dune Earth is a destroyed planet and long forgotten other than as a dim legend. House Atreides ( and hence the Kwisatz Haderach pinnacle of human development ) is of Roman origins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 4, 2021 7:47 AM

R41 How didn't Blade Runner work out? It was praised by both critics and fans.

by Anonymousreply 79September 4, 2021 8:19 AM

I knew it was bad from the trailer. Where Timmy mumbles in monotone through a closed mouth. He's bad, but I could see the extremely poor directing.

by Anonymousreply 80September 4, 2021 8:37 AM

Some of the bad reviews were to be expected. Many people just don't get Dune.

Frankly, I don't really care whether it's an excellent movie in itself. No movie adaptation will ever do justice to the novel; so, for me, the movie will be mostly another visualization aid for the books anyway.

by Anonymousreply 81September 4, 2021 8:38 AM

[quote]How didn't Blade Runner work out? It was praised by both critics and fans.

It flopped hard financially, hon. Praise doesn't pay the bills. It failed to reach a mainstream audience outside of sci-fi fans, just like the original Blade Runner did in its initial run.

by Anonymousreply 82September 4, 2021 9:37 AM

R82 So just like it's predecessor, it didn't make a lot of money but was praised by fans and critics. That's good

by Anonymousreply 83September 4, 2021 10:05 AM

Villeneuve makes great films.

Boris @ r73 is just a Philistine hater who knows nothing of show business other than his Christian brainwashing and socially conservative agenda to badmouth it.

by Anonymousreply 84September 4, 2021 10:16 AM

As long as this movie is not the mega hit that this arrogant prick needs in order to become a real star, I don´t mind if the movie gets some love from his stans, journalists paid by studios or whoever.

by Anonymousreply 85September 4, 2021 10:19 AM

R85: How much did Warner Brothers pay The Hollywood Reporter for that hyperbolic review? I don't want to jinx anything but so far it looks like it won't make this arrogant cocksucker a star. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 86September 4, 2021 12:12 PM

Xan Brooks (who looks really cute) from The Guardian gives it a rave 5/5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2021 12:13 PM

Give us the worms! Give us the worms!

by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2021 12:14 PM

R86 Armie Hammer, get off the computer and finish your drug and sex rehab. He didn't want to fuck you. Get over it. He's already a huge star, idiot. He's hosting the Met this year. You're delusional.

by Anonymousreply 89September 4, 2021 12:26 PM

^^ this is your crazy history:

"“Dune”s COLLAPSE is COMPLETE! R10: YES!!!

“Dune”s COLLAPSE is COMPLETE! I read once on here that he shows his butt in this. Did any of the early reviews confirm that?

“Dune”s COLLAPSE is COMPLETE! This kid ain’t a star.

“Dune”s COLLAPSE is COMPLETE! R85: How much did Warner Brothers pay The Hollywood Reporter for that hyperbolic review? I don't want to jinx anything but so far it looks like it won't make this arrogant cocksucker a star. Good riddance.

Timothee Chalamet IS Willy Wonka! Who is this guy fucking?

Timothee Chalamet IS Willy Wonka! When will this man be stopped?

Timothee Chalamet IS Willy Wonka! For those of you who hate this, there is some hope. He has a history of projects going nowhere. The Bob Dylan film, 4000 Miles, Call Me By Your Name sequel.

Timothee Chalamet IS Willy Wonka! R15: Yeah that’s true. I guess I meant he has sort of a curse when it comes to getting movies off the ground. Best case scenario this will finally end his leading man career."

You're sick obsession with this kids demise is creepy. You old, wasted, pervert.

by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2021 12:27 PM

R82 And still they gave him 150 million to make Dune. You're deluding yourself thinking this film flopping will have any impact on any of these people's careers.

by Anonymousreply 91September 4, 2021 12:29 PM

The fact that this was green lit for the screen instead of what should have very obviously been a streaming series makes it clear how badly Hollywood is failing to accept the reality of the new entertainment ecosystem. Not surprising that this is Warner Bros. which needs to replace Toby Emmerich yesterday (although the majority of the financing was done by Legendary minimizing WB’s exposure).

by Anonymousreply 92September 4, 2021 12:31 PM

These independent financiers like Legendary, Village Roadshow and Alcon seem to be the ones still tempted by the devil’s candy of theatrical release… although Skydance looks like it got the message and is dealing exclusively with streamers now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 4, 2021 12:35 PM

Ghosted? Is that the long awaited sequel to Ghost, but this time she ignores that her dead husband is inside Whoppi Goldberg like any sane person would do?

by Anonymousreply 94September 4, 2021 12:38 PM

Ghoshted.

by Anonymousreply 95September 4, 2021 12:46 PM

R73 What the hell are you talking about? He's one of the only few good mainstream directors in Hollywood working today.

by Anonymousreply 96September 4, 2021 1:22 PM

Dune has exactly ONE negative review, from that closet case at Indiewire. The others considered negative include great praise for many aspects of the film. And Chalamet, who is the least arrogant actor in the biz, has gotten strong reviews, maybe the best in cast total. Dune will be a genre classic for decades to come, the definitive version of the novel and all the haters can go back to their cross-stitch and Golden Girls reruns.

by Anonymousreply 97September 4, 2021 1:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 4, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] I knew it was bad from the trailer. Where Timmy mumbles in monotone through a closed mouth. He's bad, but I could see the extremely poor directing.

You really sound like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 99September 4, 2021 7:37 PM

It has too many moving parts to be a film. I thought we learned this the first time around. It should have been a series made for streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 100September 4, 2021 7:43 PM

[quote]I read once on here that he shows his butt in this. Did any of the early reviews confirm that?

No, but he does show his vagine.

by Anonymousreply 101September 4, 2021 7:48 PM

Standing ovation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 4, 2021 7:48 PM

It's gotten 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and is getting good reviews elsewhere.

Bad luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 103September 4, 2021 7:50 PM

I'm sure this movie is unwatchable but the Indiewire review is unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 104September 4, 2021 8:12 PM

R102: They give standing ovations to anything these days.

by Anonymousreply 105September 4, 2021 8:16 PM

Isn’t Timmy supposed to be an asshole in real life, hanging out with jerks like James Franco?

by Anonymousreply 106September 4, 2021 8:22 PM

Apart from prisoner, which was shit, and stupid, I have never been able to finish one of the directors film. I find them over hyped and empty.

by Anonymousreply 107September 4, 2021 8:23 PM

Prisoner was a particularly, egregiously bad script.

by Anonymousreply 108September 4, 2021 8:32 PM

R106: He is. His PR has been fantastic at hiding his true nature. So far they've been great at marketing him as an adorable prince who is nice and accessible for the girls but not too intimidating for the guys.

by Anonymousreply 109September 4, 2021 8:38 PM

[quote]who is the least arrogant actor in the biz

LOL yeah okay. The guy who ignored a press aide at the French Dispatch photocall so he was in all the key pics (link), who made his castmates wait for him on the red carpet while he signed at the ropeline. The guy who admitted (GQ interview) he felt he was entitled to an Oscar for Beautiful Boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 4, 2021 8:39 PM

PRISONER was awesome.

You people need to get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 111September 4, 2021 11:18 PM

The unhinged Timmee hater smacks of the Charmie Loon who filled up nearly 20 threads accusing CALL ME BY YOUR NAME of being pedophilia.

As well as the Rachel Weisz/Rachel McAdams DISOBEDIENCE hater.

by Anonymousreply 112September 4, 2021 11:21 PM

You call a grown man "Charmie," as if we know who you mean, and you're calling someone else a loon?

by Anonymousreply 113September 4, 2021 11:25 PM

I have OP blocked but found this thread by searching for Dune because I was going to post a link to the high praise the movie got at the world premiere.

We’ll hear endlessly about how awful it is and Timothy is because of the unhinged gay who is obviously obsessed with him and so has to dump on him constantly.

by Anonymousreply 114September 4, 2021 11:32 PM

Everyone will go to every theater to see the heat between Timmy and Armie during Armie's cameo!!

by Anonymousreply 115September 4, 2021 11:37 PM

Pedo thread.

by Anonymousreply 116September 5, 2021 12:04 AM

They should have made three movies, Jackson style. The fan base is fanatical enough.

by Anonymousreply 117September 5, 2021 12:08 AM

Who will be playing Virginia Madsen's character??

by Anonymousreply 118September 5, 2021 12:12 AM

R110: Also remember when he said he cried after learning that his part in Interstellar got significantly cut. The Beautiful Boy thing really pissed him off. He campaigned his ass off when everyone involved in the film completely abandoned it. In the end the academy didn’t want to nominate a newcomer for a mediocre film. You could see the anger on his face at SAG.

by Anonymousreply 119September 5, 2021 12:49 AM

He cried because he thought his role was bigger. I work with actors, they are emotional people, not like automatons on this site. Also he was upset that he had to play some kind of game to get nominated for Beautiful Boy, that's what he said, but hate on ,hater

by Anonymousreply 120September 5, 2021 12:55 AM

Some people on here post negative opinions and rumors about this kid as if it's their job. What gives? An actor is an asshole? You don't say. Who fucking cares? As long as he does a good job in a movie, what's it to me what he's like in real life?

As for Dune, it will be hard going because of the pandemic, but it will do fine.

by Anonymousreply 121September 5, 2021 1:13 AM

People will inject themselves with COVID-19, just to see Armie and Timmy gaze into each other's eyes for five minutes during Armie's cameo!!!

by Anonymousreply 122September 5, 2021 1:17 AM

R91 At first I thought you were saying Chalamet got 150 million to make Dune and I thought, "We will never be rid of this little prick and his tediously worshipful fangurls now. 150 mill buys a lot of sparkly priest suits, reviews, and award votes. He could start his own production company. But you were talking about the director. WHEW! There's still a chance that O'Tay is on his way out as soon as he's too wrinkled play the ingenue for the fifty millionth time.

by Anonymousreply 123September 5, 2021 1:27 AM

Doesn't matter if it's crap. Look at the Marvel crap. Youngins will turn up to anything. All that's needed is action, battles, and an over-emphatic, loud, forgettable score. Tick! Tick! Tick! Although I don't how a sissy man starlet will play in the new regulated China!

by Anonymousreply 124September 5, 2021 1:28 AM

Dune is boring nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 125September 5, 2021 1:41 AM

OP failed

by Anonymousreply 126September 5, 2021 9:54 AM

Why did they cast Jason Momoa? Isn't he a c-list actor and kinda of a joke?

by Anonymousreply 127September 5, 2021 9:56 AM

Timmy is quickly loosing his gamine looks and the man is going to be freaky. So don't worry, Timmy haters, the end is near.

by Anonymousreply 128September 5, 2021 10:41 AM

I had to unfollow David Ehrlich (Indiewire) on Twitter. Dude, no one wants to see daily pictures of your son!

Also, he confused Antoine Fuqua for F. Gary Gray in one of recent reviews, I am surprised that he was not cancelled for that.

by Anonymousreply 129September 5, 2021 11:11 AM

Probably this movie will do okay, though I would argue that Marvel has a pedigree with viewers that Dune does not. Probably the bigger problem for the studio is that after this, it's going to be much more difficult to make a big budget sequel & that seemed to be a common complaint about the movie - it was just Part I one of a larger story, rather than a complete story by itself.

Timmy does seem overrated (he was completely wrong for LW), but the next generation Harrison Ford guy (Ansel?) was a washout, so there aren't a lot of better alternatives out there that attracts people to theatres

by Anonymousreply 130September 5, 2021 12:24 PM

[quote]Also he was upset that he had to play some kind of game to get nominated for Beautiful Boy

You mean the same game everyone else has to play? All you're doing is confirming what I said - that he felt entitled to the award and to special treatment.

by Anonymousreply 131September 5, 2021 12:33 PM

R130: He only got the Little Women job because of that hack Greta. He's also completely wrong for Dune.

by Anonymousreply 132September 5, 2021 12:40 PM

If his performance as Henry V is any indicator I'm rooting for the worm.

by Anonymousreply 133September 5, 2021 2:17 PM

A Part II would apparently be important to Zendaya and her Dune character-

[quote] Villeneuve has split Herbert’s book roughly in half, meaning that several of the significant character arcs are just getting started when this film comes to a close.

[quote] And though Zendaya is plastered all over the marketing as the female lead, it’s really (Rebecca) Ferguson who gets that spotlight: Outside of a few dreamy visions of what’s to come, Zendaya’s character doesn’t factor into the story in a big way just yet.

[quote] Villeneuve intends to make “Dune” a two-parter and is working on the screenplay for the sequel, but Warner Bros. still hasn’t technically greenlit it. The studio has tried the two-film gambit before, splitting the Stephen King adaptation “It” into halves, but those films opened two years apart and a prospective “Dune” sequel would likely take far longer to mount. (It may also concern the studio that “It Chapter Two” made some $225 million less worldwide than the first film, despite an influx of big stars.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 5, 2021 2:43 PM

And why wouldn't r113's issue be with the 1-4 allegedly "grown men" who have stalked Chalamet over 20 full threads on DL, accusing Chalamet of "pedophilia" and banning only the poster who called them out for their libel, defamation and homophobia?

Please back away, all the way off a cliff.

You're the Charmie Stalker Loon, aren't you? I can't believe Muriel still doesn't have control of this site.

by Anonymousreply 135September 6, 2021 12:20 AM

Dune is not filmable as a movie. It simply cannot be condensed into 2-3 hours. There is simply too much.

The best decision they ever made was allowing Peter Jackson to do LotR in three movies, rather than the two movies that were originally proposed. The worst decision they ever made was making The Hobbit into three movies, rather than two.

by Anonymousreply 136September 6, 2021 12:29 AM

RE: 134’s pic.

Jesus, he looks like a thrice face-lifted frau.

Bitch should keel is mouth shut in future red carpet appearances.

by Anonymousreply 137September 6, 2021 12:31 AM

^^^keep

by Anonymousreply 138September 6, 2021 12:33 AM

My first guess was that "Charmie" referred to Armie Hammer-- how the fuck should a casual reader know the complicated, retarded system of nicknames you freaks devised?

by Anonymousreply 139September 6, 2021 12:39 AM

I'm trying to think of a male Hollywood 'star' who has been so unattractively sexless as Chalamet. Mickey Rooney comes to mind. He had a lot of energy and pure ham. I've never been able to see what has Chalamet has, except obviously, an incredibly good agent. But his ascent is a constant bewilderment, as I'm sure, it must bewilder the army of glorious looking incredibly talented young actors out there who can't even get an audition.

by Anonymousreply 140September 6, 2021 2:06 AM

What accent do they have on whatever planet Dune is set on and how would one know it’s good or not?

by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2021 2:14 AM

That’s what they said about the original Dune. But it got a big cult following.

by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2021 2:50 AM

Timmy is a fad, like Leo was in his youth. But I find his pinched face and awkwardness off putting. I can’t even imagine him as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 143September 6, 2021 3:43 AM

R140 What you (and tbh me too) see as unattractively sexless looks fey/otherworldly and pretty-in-a-feminine-way to his fanbase, that consists mainly of teenage girls. He's the generation z epitome of a "soft boy", so his very appeal lies in not being traditionally masculine. It's a feature not a bug to them. Keep in mind that young teenage girls would hardly know what to do with an adult-looking man exuding virility, it would totally overwhelm them. Especially since nowadays for young people "masculinity" is often combined with "toxic", so a lot of them feel everything traditionally masculine is borderline threatening and bad. So the sexless soft boy prince is a perfect alternative to pin all your romantic dreams to.

Personally I don't mind if Timothee is the generation z boyfriend, at least he seems to fit the bill in most ways. Much better than when other aspiring celebrities, who don't fit the bill still try to adopt this image for the sake of popularity.

It will be interesting though where his career will go once he ages out of these looks and his current target audience.

by Anonymousreply 144September 6, 2021 3:52 AM

DLers want to see the latest installment in the CMBYN Extended Cinematic Universe!

by Anonymousreply 145September 6, 2021 5:22 AM

This is predicted for 11 Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 146September 6, 2021 5:27 AM

I'd killed this film even before anybody saw it.

by Anonymousreply 147September 6, 2021 5:32 AM

[quote]He's the generation z epitome of a "soft boy", so his very appeal lies in not being traditionally masculine.

There's a massive opening in Hollywood – although they may not recognise it – for a dangerously sexy, utterly un-PC big-dicked Alpha Male. If I was a casting director I'd be on the lookout for someone who could blow a hole in current audience expectations, and give them what some don't even know they pine for. Even Me-Too slappers secretly dream of being banged hard and long – gentle rape-sex was a standard of half the romance novels until recently – remember all the chicks reading Sweet Savage Love? Hollywood needs a star who can visually telegraph that thrilling threat. I would be looking for him amongst the acting pool. Fuck those wet navel gazers. I'd be casting amongst tradesmen. Harrison Ford was a carpenter remember.

by Anonymousreply 148September 6, 2021 8:18 AM

R148

Yes, Harrison Ford was a carpenter/weed dealer.

He was so sexy back then.

The last Indiana Jones 5 set photos were... sad.

by Anonymousreply 149September 6, 2021 9:03 AM

R147: I may have killed all things Timothee

by Anonymousreply 150September 6, 2021 9:03 AM

Folks don't waste your money on Timothee. This thing is gonna be pulled from theaters after only two days. Instead watch Spider-Man: No Way Home exclusively in theaters. It's gonna be a massive hit!

by Anonymousreply 151September 6, 2021 9:21 AM

R136 Lord of the rings should have been just one two-hour movie. 90% of those movies was just walking. Why did they need three 3+ hours movies?

by Anonymousreply 152September 6, 2021 12:04 PM

[quote][R136] Lord of the rings should have been just one two-hour movie. 90% of those movies was just walking. Why did they need three 3+ hours movies?

LotR, like Dune, requires so much detail for the story to make sense.

All the "walking" is part of the story - it's the journey, not the destination.

by Anonymousreply 153September 6, 2021 1:23 PM

I loved LotR, until the end of the third movie after the rescue of Frodo and Sam. Then it seemed to drag on forever until they sailed away. At that point, It was like, end this thing already . . .

by Anonymousreply 154September 6, 2021 6:53 PM

The LOTR movies are the dullest wastes of time ever made. Well, I can confidently say that about the first two, didn't even bother with the third one, which remains the only Best Picture winner I've never seen.

by Anonymousreply 155September 6, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] There's a massive opening in Hollywood – although they may not recognise it – for a dangerously sexy, utterly un-PC big-dicked Alpha Male.

I disagree. Hollywood tries this now and again, that’s why we have Colin Farrell and Ansel Elgort. Neither succeeded as traditional leading men.

by Anonymousreply 156September 6, 2021 7:16 PM

And I would add Tom Hardy to that list.

by Anonymousreply 157September 6, 2021 7:16 PM

Folks I know what's gonna save the film industry: Spider-Man: No Way Home playing exclusively in theaters starting on December 17th. Don't waste your money on this clusterfuck as it will be pulled from theaters after two days. Also, Zendaya has more PR forced chemistry with me than with that rodent.

by Anonymousreply 158September 6, 2021 7:29 PM

You bunch of jealous losers!

by Anonymousreply 159September 6, 2021 8:26 PM

I can’t remember the last time there was a virile male movie star. Even Chris Pratt is a fat dork. Ryan Reynolds , Chris Pine, Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans, Kevin Hart - all fem.

by Anonymousreply 160September 6, 2021 8:38 PM

The last overtly sexual successful leading man was probably Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 161September 6, 2021 8:42 PM

But even for Brad, that was largely PR and hairdos. Maybe we know too much now.

by Anonymousreply 162September 6, 2021 8:44 PM

Yeah, Brad was never the box office draw in the 90s like Tom Cruise. His PR team made people believe that he was at the time when he was far from it.

by Anonymousreply 163September 6, 2021 8:47 PM

That is what my grandma says that there are no real men since Clarck Gable and Gary Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 164September 6, 2021 9:09 PM

Except they both wore makeup and Cooper had a facelift.

by Anonymousreply 165September 6, 2021 9:11 PM

Gary Cooper was bi, and how!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 6, 2021 9:16 PM

There are a few: Idris Elba, Oscar Isaac, Tom Hardy, Daniel Craig, Ewan McGregor, but they don’t get promoted that way.

In comparison, Timotay is a skinny girl.

by Anonymousreply 167September 6, 2021 9:18 PM

How many flops is it going to take for hollywood to finally drop Timmy?

by Anonymousreply 168September 6, 2021 9:18 PM

R167 and you are a fat old auntie.

by Anonymousreply 169September 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Come on girls, stop being nasty, time to go and report your neighbors abortion.

by Anonymousreply 170September 6, 2021 9:21 PM

Pretty Woman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 6, 2021 9:35 PM

Here is a real man for you girls, to make you all wet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 6, 2021 9:39 PM

R168: Don't worry. In no time he'll be begging to get a Ryan Murphy limited series (IF he's lucky).

by Anonymousreply 173September 6, 2021 9:59 PM

Dwayne Johnson isn’t masculine and virile? I guess because he doesn’t have any real love scenes. Jason Statham then- he does have love scenes.

by Anonymousreply 174September 6, 2021 10:03 PM

ROFL at the person who thinks Gary Cooper was overtly sexual.

The number of successful Hollywood leading men who were overt sex symbols is probably less than 10. Rudolph Valentino, Clark Gable, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Sean Connery, Robert Redford, Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington and Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 175September 6, 2021 10:05 PM

Add Rock Hudson to that.

by Anonymousreply 176September 6, 2021 10:06 PM

R175 You mock my grannys taste?

by Anonymousreply 177September 6, 2021 10:06 PM

And Cary Grant.

by Anonymousreply 178September 6, 2021 10:08 PM

Denzel was a sex symbol? Must have missed that.

by Anonymousreply 179September 6, 2021 10:09 PM

No, r177, we mock your lack of apostrophe use.

by Anonymousreply 180September 6, 2021 10:09 PM

R180 You are spelling Nazi?

by Anonymousreply 181September 6, 2021 10:11 PM

R179, Denzel was considered the biggest black male sex symbol of the 90s. He was even on People's magazine Sexiest Man Alive issue during that period.

by Anonymousreply 182September 6, 2021 10:49 PM

I think we're getting off topic here...well, Oscar is at the Venice FF pushing The Card Counter and seems to have 0 fucks to give about Dune. We'll have to wait until the fanboy types actually see Dune to see if it will turn into a complete bomb or a cult classic

by Anonymousreply 183September 6, 2021 10:55 PM

R189 I prefer Lil Nas X

by Anonymousreply 184September 6, 2021 10:58 PM

R176 Oh yes, Rock Hudson was hot.

by Anonymousreply 185September 6, 2021 11:05 PM

You girls hate this boy Timothee so passionately! You crazy mamas.

by Anonymousreply 186September 6, 2021 11:09 PM

R174 Dwayne Johnson is huge and muscular, but also looks in a way exaggerated, like a comic book character. It probably doesn't help that he's playing a lot of comedy roles. I think he doesn't have the gritty-masculine appeal of a Tom Hardy for example.

But speaking of the potential market for this type of actors and R148 assessment reminds me of how everyone went totally crazy for Khal Drogo in GoT's heyday.

by Anonymousreply 187September 6, 2021 11:11 PM

Out of curiosity I watched the Lynch film on HBO Max today for the first time

I was not terribly familiar with Dune beforehand

However it occurred to me that James Cameron cribbed the basics of the plot for Avatar, and that most moviegoers watching the Villeneuve film and seeing the story for the first time will probably get that this was already done in Avatar

So basically… why on Earth was this made? It will look like they’re ripping off the ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 188September 6, 2021 11:34 PM

Timmy is the new standard for male sexuality and virility in movies. It's why so many housewives love him!!

by Anonymousreply 189September 6, 2021 11:37 PM

What R189 said.

by Anonymousreply 190September 6, 2021 11:48 PM

Daring!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 6, 2021 11:54 PM

Provocative!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192September 6, 2021 11:57 PM

It’s funny, because I saw a page full of articles and reviews praising it like it was the second coming of Christ. That’s why I never trust reviews.

by Anonymousreply 193September 6, 2021 11:58 PM

Sssssssizzling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 6, 2021 11:59 PM

Dwayne Johnson has a little wiener.

by Anonymousreply 195September 7, 2021 12:01 AM

Sweltering!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 7, 2021 12:03 AM

R195 How’s his schnitzel?

by Anonymousreply 197September 7, 2021 12:45 AM

He is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198September 7, 2021 1:03 AM

Being a mediocre white Jewish boy only makes you popular for so long.

by Anonymousreply 199September 7, 2021 2:20 AM

He reminds me maybe 10% of the early fandom around Leo, which was much bigger due to Titanic.. Timotay seems like an unlikable drip. I wish the public knew more that he is a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 200September 7, 2021 2:38 AM

I never understood the Dicaprio lust, honestly. But he ended up proving he could act (even after he lost what looks he had).

Time will tell if Chalamet will do the same. Either way, Dune looks like it'll be fun enough - I don't think his presence will matter all that much unless it's abysmal or a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 201September 7, 2021 3:12 AM

R201: DiCaprio was awful in Titanic and he’s been awful in everything ever since.

by Anonymousreply 202September 7, 2021 3:23 AM

Titanic was probably the last genuine performance Leo ever gave. Since then, all he's done is try to prove that he's a "serious actor."

by Anonymousreply 203September 7, 2021 3:41 AM

Agreed, R203. It was his star presence and charisma that carried that dreadful film. God knows without him, it wouldn't be anywhere near watchable.

Ever since he became an A-list movie star, he's been trying to prove that he's in the same league as Brando, DeNiro, or Penn and falls flat on his face each time.

by Anonymousreply 204September 7, 2021 3:47 AM

(i'll be honest, I haven't actually seen any of Leo's movies since Titanic, so I was going on reputation alone.)

by Anonymousreply 205September 7, 2021 3:50 AM

R204, DiCaprio is a bigger star than all of them. He also has a wider range, except for maybe Penn.

by Anonymousreply 206September 7, 2021 3:52 AM

R206, I was referring to strictly his acting ability, not how big of a star he is compared to those three. And his range is not wider than Brando's or DeNiro's. In fact, he's been miscast in many movies that exposed how limited his range is (The Aviator quickly comes to mind). He's always been a two-dimensional actor, and his A-list status is comparable to Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 207September 7, 2021 4:05 AM

R204 That's bullshit. Kate Winslet carried that movie

by Anonymousreply 208September 7, 2021 5:10 AM

Both carried it - Kate with her performance and Leo with his charm and looks. He was a fairly stereotypical pretty boy back then (contrary to Timothee, who is a bit too gangly and fairy boy looking) and all the 12 year old girls were madly in love with him. They even watched 2 hours of Shakespeare dialogue for him.

by Anonymousreply 209September 7, 2021 5:37 AM

I don't find him attractive or interesting...

by Anonymousreply 210September 7, 2021 5:39 AM

[quote] That's bullshit. Kate Winslet carried that movie.

I agree with R209 that both Kate and Leo carried the film, even though most of the girls in my high school talked only about Leo and saw the film more than once at the theaters because of him.

One can't deny Leo had movie-star charisma, the kind that even the most talented actors lack. (Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise had the same thing back in the day.)

by Anonymousreply 211September 7, 2021 5:51 AM

In the picture posted at r171 he looks like he is wearing a nightie. Difficult to imagine Robert Mitchum in that position.

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 09/04 **7**

To the media, the meme actor says one thing about his one named co-star. Behind the scenes, the language he uses is horrific.

Timothée Chalamet/Zendaya/"Dune" (Zendaya and Timothée Chalamet Make Red Carpet Fashion Magic at the Venice Premiere of Dune)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 7, 2021 11:20 AM

Complaining about leadaing men not being real men is nothing new. In 70s some conservative people were appalled how could small Jewish guys with narrow shoulders like Dustin Hoffman and Woody Allen be movie stars unlike real men from the past. And Timmy took all the look from his Jewish mother´s side, except that height. Maybe you guys think that the real male lead must be some wasp mucho?

by Anonymousreply 213September 7, 2021 11:40 AM

Who says anybody ever complained that Woody Allen wasn't macho enough to be a movie star? Victor Mature couldn't have been tougher pulling a heist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 7, 2021 11:51 AM

This version of DUNE definitely needed some dinosaur versus sandworm battles!

Maybe get back a 69 year old Sting as Feyd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2021 11:57 AM

The old bitches are bitter because he got to make out with the cannibal Hammer, their dream leading men. Relax, it was only a movie. You are not gullible like these stupid fraus Charmies.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2021 12:17 PM

[quote] Complaining about leadaing men not being real men is nothing new. In 70s some conservative people were appalled how could small Jewish guys with narrow shoulders like Dustin Hoffman and Woody Allen be movie stars unlike real men from the past.

It's as old as silent movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217September 7, 2021 2:01 PM

Timmy is manly!

by Anonymousreply 218September 7, 2021 2:54 PM

He has a message for us: take your ass to the theater so that he can become a real star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 7, 2021 5:26 PM

R219 The guy is sweet.

by Anonymousreply 220September 7, 2021 5:34 PM

Chala-Mania Hits Venice as "Dune" Star Arrives for World Premiere:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221September 7, 2021 6:56 PM

Everything happens to Timothee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 7, 2021 7:12 PM

R221: How much did his PR pay the Hollywood Reporter to write that piece?

by Anonymousreply 223September 7, 2021 7:29 PM

Do you R223 have internet service under your bridge?

by Anonymousreply 224September 7, 2021 7:33 PM

This is not a surprise. The novel is very difficult to adapt and probably more suited for a tv show than a film.

Timmy is not destined to be a mainstream leading man anyway, he is good enough to have a lot of job as character actor.

by Anonymousreply 225September 7, 2021 7:36 PM

It currently has 87% on Rotten Tomatoes. OP failed

by Anonymousreply 226September 8, 2021 12:21 AM

^^^purchased an 87 rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 227September 8, 2021 12:26 AM

It doesn't open for well over a month. OP/troll doesn't know what he's talking about. Typical...

by Anonymousreply 228September 8, 2021 12:31 AM

The OP is like Jehova wittnes who screams: We are doomed. The world is ending.

by Anonymousreply 229September 8, 2021 12:32 AM

Looks like his prom date picture including the proud parents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230September 8, 2021 5:03 AM

R230

Wasn’t his Prom date Lourdes Leon Ciccone?

by Anonymousreply 231September 8, 2021 1:37 PM

He’s aging like milk.

by Anonymousreply 232September 8, 2021 5:20 PM

Said Bryan Singer

by Anonymousreply 233September 8, 2021 5:23 PM

I never found him attractive but i don't think he changed in the last few years, he looks the same

by Anonymousreply 234September 8, 2021 5:31 PM

Look at the pinched face and dead eyes.

by Anonymousreply 235September 8, 2021 6:43 PM

Monster!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 8, 2021 6:47 PM

He’s so straight, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237September 8, 2021 9:11 PM

Well, if he isnt Zendaya cant steal him from us. She already stole Tom.

by Anonymousreply 238September 8, 2021 9:16 PM

More like friends until the publicity tour is over and the movie comes out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 8, 2021 9:21 PM

R 239 Yeah, like the Cmbyn promo. Luckily, this time there is no more queerbaiting, or shall I say straightbaiting this time.

by Anonymousreply 240September 8, 2021 9:30 PM

Why such long faces?. Their movie is epic and it rates at 85% on RT, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 241September 8, 2021 9:44 PM

I hope they have better chemistry in the film

by Anonymousreply 242September 8, 2021 9:48 PM

R242 They are both lovely, but they are so incompatible. Seems like wrong casting for Timmys love interest, maybe it would be better in the movie. And Im not one of haters, I believe there are actresses that will go fine with him, but Zendaya looks like some older cousin.

by Anonymousreply 243September 8, 2021 9:55 PM

There's something weird between them, given this and then the over the top scripted birthday message.

by Anonymousreply 244September 8, 2021 11:19 PM

Their body language in press and that video is very closed off and leaning away from each other.

by Anonymousreply 245September 9, 2021 12:41 AM

And Timothee seemed so much happier with French dispatch crew in Cannes, although in Dune he is the leading man. And otherwise he seems to get along with all costars. Couldn`t blame him though, This Zendaya girl has a great body, but gives a phony vibe and seems very pushy. Think I wouldn`t like her either.

by Anonymousreply 246September 9, 2021 12:47 AM

To be honest who wouldn`t prefer nice Saoirse, a witty Irish girl, humble and simple in spite of being one of the biggest young female stars to this, well, slightly vulgar starlet.

by Anonymousreply 247September 9, 2021 12:51 AM

Armie Hammer probably financed the bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 248September 9, 2021 3:43 AM

I agree, I don't really feel much chemistry between him and Zendaya.

by Anonymousreply 249September 9, 2021 3:45 AM

Zendaya is masculine and Timmy is feminine. Lez and gay, they have no chemistry except passionate discussions about makeup!

by Anonymousreply 250September 9, 2021 5:38 AM

They seem friendly and perhaps are a kind of friend. Timothee seems to have an easier time articulating his answers, while Zendaya seems to struggle somewhat and gives glib answers. I seems sweet and she may be an interesting person in real life, but she does not come off that way in interviews. She is not as cerebral as he is, while he seems like an overthinker. Maybe more dance parties are in their future, but I doubt there will be any serious intellectual conversation between the two. Sorry, I'm stoned.

by Anonymousreply 251September 9, 2021 5:56 AM

^^^*She seems sweet.

by Anonymousreply 252September 9, 2021 5:57 AM

[quote]Timothee seemed so much happier with French dispatch crew in Cannes

The drugs helped too, I'm sure

And sure, Timmy's an overthinker lol

by Anonymousreply 253September 9, 2021 10:28 AM

R247 How is she vulgar or a starlet, you fucking moron?

by Anonymousreply 254September 9, 2021 1:29 PM

Chalamet is making a big mistake going for the androgynous bait.

He could use his looks to define a different sort of masculine appeal - the wiry, intense, interesting sort, instead of the beefy THOR look.

Instead, he's feminising it, as if it's not worth its value in masculinity.

Of course, if he's not really feeling masculine, it's understandable.

But if he's playing off what he thinks is a viable trend, he'll find out as he ages that it's less than attractive at forty.

He should have just carved out his own sort of masculinity, it would have been compelling instead of like a coy joke he keeps playing, when it's less interesting every time he tries it on.

True class is indifferent to style.

Class up, kid.

by Anonymousreply 255September 9, 2021 1:45 PM

No it won’t R15.

by Anonymousreply 256September 9, 2021 1:47 PM

R254 Rinse your dirty moth with soap, you whore!

by Anonymousreply 257September 9, 2021 1:51 PM

R257 Suck it, retard

by Anonymousreply 258September 9, 2021 6:20 PM

Mouseboy keeps sending my gay nephew pics of his horsecock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259September 9, 2021 6:31 PM

OP and the obsessed TCers are insufferable. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 260September 9, 2021 6:35 PM

r259 Your nephew better get to sucking.

by Anonymousreply 261September 9, 2021 6:35 PM

The Chalamet threads really are something else entirely.

by Anonymousreply 262September 9, 2021 6:36 PM

Zendaya has a great publicist, she is so mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 263September 9, 2021 7:31 PM

Calumet has a great publicist, she is so mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 264September 9, 2021 7:49 PM

R264 Your pussy got so wet for Chalamet that you can't control your bitchiness. You dirty old whore!

by Anonymousreply 265September 9, 2021 7:54 PM

R262 I think DL obsession with Chalamet peaked a couple of years ago

by Anonymousreply 266September 9, 2021 8:07 PM

R265=retard.

by Anonymousreply 267September 9, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote]Rinse your dirty moth with soap, you whore!

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 268September 9, 2021 10:50 PM

Too bad Timothee is not will Lily Rose anymore, she is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 269September 9, 2021 11:06 PM

Beautiful Lily Rose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 9, 2021 11:09 PM

A lipstick lesbian and a twink who have no chemistry

by Anonymousreply 271September 10, 2021 2:28 AM

R271 The twink has ratlike features and the lipstick dyke is stiff and can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 272September 10, 2021 2:30 AM

R271 Even if she was a lesbian, which she isn't, she would be a tomboy lesbian, not a lipstick one. So, fail

by Anonymousreply 273September 10, 2021 4:23 AM

“ No performances identified as terrible, though the reviewers seem to infer that Timmy is too much of a lightweight.”

R36 - you’re getting ‘infer’ and ‘imply’ confused. .

by Anonymousreply 274September 10, 2021 7:09 AM

Timothee's "twink" days are numbered.

by Anonymousreply 275September 10, 2021 7:20 AM

Dune was never meant to be adapted to live action film. It should be animated. It's just that sort of story.

by Anonymousreply 276September 10, 2021 7:27 AM

Cudi supporting Dune

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 11, 2021 1:47 AM

I'm surprised that Timothee only has 12 million Insta followers.

by Anonymousreply 278September 11, 2021 5:04 AM

R128 Because he is boring? Granted so is Zzzendaya but her dresses are pretty.

by Anonymousreply 279September 11, 2021 5:44 AM

A book so great it inspired three bad movies. Just let it go, Hollywood. Maybe you can try working on the first film version of [italic]Catcher in the Rye[/italic] now that J.D. Salinger is dead.

by Anonymousreply 280September 11, 2021 5:51 AM

r277 Cudi is Chalamedickmatized.

by Anonymousreply 281September 11, 2021 5:51 AM

This is karma for that fascist pedo movie.

by Anonymousreply 282September 11, 2021 5:52 AM

Isn’t Kid Cudi a past / present boyfriend of Timotay? He even got him a job in Don’t Look Up coming out at Christmas

by Anonymousreply 283September 11, 2021 6:00 AM

R275: I just want to know whether or not his Hollywood days are numbered.

by Anonymousreply 284September 11, 2021 8:38 AM

They're numbered. He'll never eat lunch in this town again. He looks like he never eats at all.

by Anonymousreply 285September 11, 2021 8:39 AM

He has tons of projects lined up, troll.

by Anonymousreply 286September 11, 2021 8:41 AM

He's yesterday's news, shill.

by Anonymousreply 287September 11, 2021 8:42 AM

R283 According to Charmies his soul mate is Cannibal

by Anonymousreply 288September 11, 2021 8:44 AM

R278: Instagram followers don’t mean shit.

by Anonymousreply 289September 11, 2021 8:44 AM

Dune was filmed two years ago and hasn't even opened yet. He has at least 4 to 6 major films he's been working on. All major releases. Sorry, fool.

by Anonymousreply 290September 11, 2021 8:47 AM

We are very threatened by sissy boy men.

by Anonymousreply 291September 11, 2021 8:58 AM

R290 all will be flops..

by Anonymousreply 292September 11, 2021 9:15 AM

Ooh, the Chalamet troll is triggered...get ready for some more, that's right, MORE, epic mouse boy zingers! Slam! Pow! Ka-Boom! Ker-Splat! In 3,2,1..

by Anonymousreply 293September 11, 2021 9:18 AM

Shut up! Just shut up! Timothy Calloway is a bad actor with a pinched face and a mouse face and he has no chemistry with Zendyna who is not pretty and is not a good actress and his movies will fail and he has never answered any of my letters and has never called me back when I talk to him on my TV!

by Anonymousreply 294September 11, 2021 9:28 AM

R4, Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 295September 11, 2021 9:49 AM

R275, surely that's a good thing. I can't wait to see him filling out and becoming at last a full grown man, because right now he looks sickly

by Anonymousreply 296September 11, 2021 9:54 AM

R263, true and also relying on the diversity quota. I never understood why Zendaya is considered African American person. She could pass for anything: Italian, French, Iranian, Mexican, Turkish,...

by Anonymousreply 297September 11, 2021 10:15 AM

R297 This diversity is full of shit. Since wokesm I see less and less black women in media, only the very washed out types. A lot of people here in Balkans are darker then the diversity darlings.

by Anonymousreply 298September 11, 2021 10:22 AM

Is this his first adult role or are we still waiting?

by Anonymousreply 299September 11, 2021 11:36 AM

[quote] Dune was never meant to be adapted to live action film. It should be animated. It's just that sort of story.

Ralph Bakshi should have done Dune instead of LotR.

by Anonymousreply 300September 11, 2021 11:36 AM

R278 His own fault really, he only posts during promo period for his projects. Casual fans aren't going to put up with that.

by Anonymousreply 301September 11, 2021 1:47 PM

R299, he should be playing a young teen at the start and most of this movie, so no.

by Anonymousreply 302September 11, 2021 1:48 PM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303September 11, 2021 7:04 PM

I'm sorry I'm so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 304September 11, 2021 7:05 PM

R304 You are dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 305September 11, 2021 7:07 PM

I know. I'm sorry I trigger so many who are unsure of their own sexuality. Must be a DL thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 11, 2021 7:18 PM

I see he's pulling the Harry Styles style card and dressing like Lestat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307September 11, 2021 7:26 PM

to be fair he did that kind of look before Harry

by Anonymousreply 308September 11, 2021 7:31 PM

R306 with a particularly stupid comment on a gay board. Forgot where you were posting, frau?

by Anonymousreply 309September 11, 2021 7:55 PM

Can they stop casting rat boy in everything for Christ's sake now??!

by Anonymousreply 310September 11, 2021 7:58 PM

For a "rat boy" I seem to get cast a lot....how's your film career going?

by Anonymousreply 311September 11, 2021 8:02 PM

R311 Casting directors are mostly fat losers/followers like you.

by Anonymousreply 312September 11, 2021 8:15 PM

R311: Serious question rat boy, whose cock are you sucking?

by Anonymousreply 313September 11, 2021 8:17 PM

But it's not fair, it's not fair he gets casted in movies! He's a rat boy! When he was sad in Call Me By Your Name I stood right up in the theater and said "That's not right! He's not sad! He can't do the cockadoodie acting!"

by Anonymousreply 314September 11, 2021 8:23 PM

It's NOT "casted", goddamit, it's "cast". Dear god...

Timmy's worst offense was loudly bashing the Woody Allen film -- before it was released. Unheard of bad behavior and the producers who stood to lose money should've sued his ass. Never mind that the molestation charges had been around for 20 years or more when he made the damn thing. What a douchebag -- but, lucky for him, he is cute so time may forgive him.

by Anonymousreply 315September 11, 2021 8:33 PM

I'm your number one fan.

by Anonymousreply 316September 11, 2021 8:34 PM

R315: The aunt or uncle definitely got him that job because he was beyond awful. He’s lucky that the film wasn’t widely distributed and seen. He said he regretted his involvement and donated his salary to charity just to get good PR for his Oscar campaign. TimoTay told Woody’s sister that he had to do that and that his agent Brian recommended it.

by Anonymousreply 317September 11, 2021 8:53 PM

Serious question. Do TC trolls have agents? Asking you from under your bridge.

by Anonymousreply 318September 11, 2021 8:54 PM

We are Duned, we are Duned!

by Anonymousreply 319September 11, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]I'm sorry I'm so pretty. —TC

Pretty? He looks like Edward Scissorhands!

by Anonymousreply 320September 11, 2021 9:18 PM

R314 He was kind of attractive back in 2017 but since then his eyes have gotten beadier, his nose more pronounced and his teeth yellow. He really is turning into a rat.

by Anonymousreply 321September 11, 2021 9:24 PM

Except actual rats have made much better movies, R321.

by Anonymousreply 322September 11, 2021 9:26 PM

R321 and R322 You are nasty and jealous old bitch. And very boring nad unfunny with that old stupid rat joke.

by Anonymousreply 323September 11, 2021 9:27 PM

Yeah Johnny was so ugly in the 80's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324September 11, 2021 9:35 PM

Timothee playing the son of Edward Sissorhands in that Super Bowl ad. I guess being seen as a young Johnny Depp is not such a bad thing. Didn't Johnny have a somewhat long, successful career? Asking for a troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 11, 2021 9:46 PM

He has some sort of an obsession with Depp. Fucking his daughter, Edward Scissorhands, and the inevitable Willy Wonka flop.

by Anonymousreply 326September 11, 2021 9:52 PM

Trolls gotta troll...

by Anonymousreply 327September 11, 2021 9:57 PM

Chamalamadingdong's "Doon"?

Nope.

Absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 328September 11, 2021 10:02 PM

Dune is the most famous and well received science fiction novel(s) ever written. No one will want to see it....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 11, 2021 10:11 PM

I’m not buying the chemistry with Zendaya. She even admitted that she was only on set for a few days and they’ve never interacted outside of work other than a few exchanges on social media. In one video, you can even see him sort of roll his eyes as they’re forced to take a picture together. Now that the movie is being promoted all over the world, they’re all of a sudden BFFs.

by Anonymousreply 330September 12, 2021 2:13 AM

R330 Didn't he wrote her a big happy birthday post on Instagram a year or two years ago? They must know each other for some time.

by Anonymousreply 331September 12, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] He has some sort of an obsession with Depp. Fucking his daughter, Edward Scissorhands, and the inevitable Willy Wonka flop.

There's a reason that Life Magazine Willy Wonka issue has Gene Wilder on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 332September 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Sure, R331, he totally wrote it

[quote]happy birthday to one of the most inspiring people I’ve met on my short journey. Someone with the strongest ethical character, and a moral compass that is in harmony with a totally fearless creative abandon. happy birthday @Zendaya , hope your day is beautiful, friend..

by Anonymousreply 333September 12, 2021 6:19 PM

The Grauniad is a hate site, R329. Their movie reviews are as bad as their other claptrap.

by Anonymousreply 334September 13, 2021 3:27 AM

Case in point:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335September 13, 2021 3:27 AM

Don't post drunk troll, it's unbecoming.

by Anonymousreply 336September 13, 2021 3:29 AM

r324 Chalatroll wishes he looked this good.

by Anonymousreply 337September 13, 2021 4:12 AM

Separated at birth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338September 13, 2021 8:06 AM

Chalatroll is a jelly nelly.

by Anonymousreply 339September 13, 2021 8:08 AM

R334 is right about the Graun.

As for their cultural reviews - I stopped paying attention when they gave the disastrous "Crimson Peak" a four- or five-star review because of the production values, and, of course, their partiality for any director who isn't Anglo. Guillermo del Toro is a favourite at the Graun, and the review completely disregarded the film's abysmal script, lack of anything resembling narrative logic, and its comical obliviousness to the rules that go to making a good Gothic story. When I went to see it on first release, the audience was laughing at the ghosts.

Then there was one of the deathless reviews of Pappa Essiedu's Hamlet at the RSC in which no one in the cast had the slightest grasp of iambic pentameter. One of the reviews lamely called the production "spiritually enlightening". I mean, really?

And, of course, no one raised the issue of "cultural appropriation", any more than they did when a large, lumbering black actress played the delicate, historically and verifiably white Queen of England, Anne Boleyn.

The Graun's opinions on any cultural product, like the NY TIMES on anything historical, political, cultural, or social, is viewed entirely through one prism: race.

I stopped reading their opinions long ago. If I hear the Graun liked it, I don't go. If they hated it, I set off immediately for the box office.

by Anonymousreply 340September 13, 2021 1:13 PM

Despite 12 million IG followers and a lot of media hype, the DM article about Keegan Michael Key joining him in the Wonka origin movie got only 20 comments and most of the comments didn't even mention him. Most of the comments were about the film flopping.

by Anonymousreply 341September 14, 2021 12:47 PM

Do you think he’s a self loathing white or does he just have a thing for black guys?

by Anonymousreply 342September 15, 2021 2:27 PM

R342 Who? Why?

by Anonymousreply 343September 15, 2021 5:25 PM

In case you R343 missed the headline, this is a hysterical troll thread. Shock of shocks.

by Anonymousreply 344September 15, 2021 6:57 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345September 16, 2021 12:06 AM

Look at how he dresses and tell me he has style

by Anonymousreply 346September 16, 2021 12:40 AM

Scandal! I didn't know The Met Gala was a sidewalk cafe.

by Anonymousreply 347September 16, 2021 12:50 AM

R347 What did you think you were proving with such a stupid comment? I'm not expecting him to walk around in high fashion all the time, but for someone praised for his style, I do expect him to be able to, y'know, dress well.

by Anonymousreply 348September 16, 2021 1:07 AM

Chalatroll never gives up. Oh WHAT is Timmy wearing today? Doing today? Does he REALLY have chemistry with Zendaya?

by Anonymousreply 349September 16, 2021 1:30 AM

Another upset fangirl

by Anonymousreply 350September 16, 2021 2:48 AM

Dune is the one big budget film from this year (well, really last year) that I am interested in seeing.

Way more curious of this than the new 007 or West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 351September 16, 2021 6:00 AM

R346 What? You don't appreciate a denim vest with flame shorts? Such versatile pieces. If nothing else, they suggest that the wearer has a sense of humor. Certainly gave me a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 352September 16, 2021 7:14 AM

Don't reply to your own posts. It's cheap.

by Anonymousreply 353September 16, 2021 7:17 AM

R353 You're an idiot

by Anonymousreply 354September 16, 2021 10:38 AM

I've seen the film. Tim is brilliant in it, he looks like a teenager. I wouldn't say it's bad, it's just a bit meh and too drawn out. Shout out to the production design and the locations teams, the visuals were breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 355September 18, 2021 7:29 PM

I read a review that said it's fantastic and other that says that is visually interesting but totally void

by Anonymousreply 356September 18, 2021 7:44 PM

TC is a great choice for Paul. He fits the description from the books perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 357September 18, 2021 7:49 PM

Let's just admit that the source material isn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 358September 18, 2021 7:52 PM

The first book alone has sold 20 million copies and has been translated into14 languages.

by Anonymousreply 359September 18, 2021 7:56 PM

So has Valley of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 360September 18, 2021 7:58 PM

R358 The novel is good, but it's not great material for a film (maybe for a tv show) and i think it didn't age too well

by Anonymousreply 361September 18, 2021 7:58 PM

Valley of the Dolls is a triumph!

by Anonymousreply 362September 18, 2021 8:13 PM

R362

Huge success.

And also Ecologist cornerstone just like Dune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363September 18, 2021 9:27 PM

I, for one, am looking forward to the incredible CGI wig pulling battles on the planet Arrakis, also known as DUNE.

by Anonymousreply 364September 18, 2021 10:31 PM

R364

R364

Dear Irulan,

I made sure that you do not appear in THIS version of Dune.

Please crawl back to Kaitain, Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 365September 18, 2021 10:48 PM

I can't be bothered with it. Not just because it's being criticised, but the delay makes it feel like old news.

Same with the new James Bond film. It was filmed 2.5 years ago and has been delayed so many times after originally being planned for an April 2020 release. They should have just released it to streaming in the same way Disney did, but they were too greedy. I'm not rewarding that behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 366September 18, 2021 10:54 PM

R365 Denis says all my wig pulling scenes will appear in part 2, with an amazing toilet not seen by you Freman trash and your disgusting stillsuits.

by Anonymousreply 367September 18, 2021 10:56 PM

I'm not going to see a great movie to teach a huge corporation a valuable lesson!

by Anonymousreply 368September 19, 2021 4:20 AM

R368 I thought it was being panned by critics?

by Anonymousreply 369September 19, 2021 9:43 PM

Don't believe every OP you read, R369.

by Anonymousreply 370September 19, 2021 9:51 PM

They should have cast Harry Styles instead of Timothee.

by Anonymousreply 371September 19, 2021 10:13 PM

I read a couple of reviews in Spain, both negative. One focused on how unfilmable is Dune as source material.

Both said that it's a clear incomplete film

by Anonymousreply 372September 20, 2021 6:37 PM

Obviously, two negative reviews are not indicative of a bad movie. On Rotten Tomatoes, the Tomatometer, which currently consists of all critic reviews, has it at 90% positive. It must be a relatively well-made film to get that high of a rating.

Yes, I know RT is not the end all of cinematic assessment, but it does count for something. Many unfavorable reviews are borne out of the preconceived notion of expecting the movie Dune to be an accurate, in-depth reflection of the book. Movies like that never make for mass audience success.

by Anonymousreply 373September 20, 2021 6:59 PM

R373 Both negative reviews said the film was good visually but void.

Dune is simply not a good material for a film

by Anonymousreply 374September 20, 2021 7:23 PM

^^ That may be true. But, cannot the movie exist as good movie on its own merits, despite being based on a novel? What exactly does "void" even mean in this context? Empty, banal dialog? Formulaic plot?

by Anonymousreply 375September 20, 2021 7:32 PM

It's only Part 1, like I've stated about a thousand times previously...

by Anonymousreply 376September 20, 2021 7:35 PM

Let's be serious, some of the Dune themes are very in the news even today but the novel didn't age well. The whole structure make it very difficult to adapt.

A good novel not always translate into a good film. Cloud atlas was beautiful visually but a total mess, and the novel is fantastic

by Anonymousreply 377September 20, 2021 7:38 PM

It will have a decent opening weekend due to fans of the books but quickly plummet.

by Anonymousreply 378September 20, 2021 7:44 PM

R367

Darling Irulan,

Denis lied to you, Sweetie.

Anyway, I am the mother of a God who reign more than 3500 years;

And you, Irulan? My children's nanny, namely.

Oh, sorry, i forgot your silly boring books about a husband who did not even touch you:

A Child's History of Muad'Dib Analysis: The Arakeen Crisis Arrakis Awakening Collected Legends of Arrakis Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib Conversations with Muad'Dib Count Fenring: A Profile Dictionary of Muad'Dib The Humanity of Muad'Dib In My Father's House Lecture to the Arrakeen War College The Lens of Time Lessons of the Great Revolt Manual of Muad'Dib Muad'Dib: Conversations Muad'Dib, Family Commentaries Muad'Dib, The Man Muad'Dib: The Ninety-Nine Wonders of the Universe Muad'Dib: The Religious Issues Paul of Dune Private Reflections on Muad'Dib Songs of Muad'Dib The Wisdom of Muad'Dib Words of Muad'Dib

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Better than any sleeping pill.

by Anonymousreply 379September 20, 2021 9:30 PM

Oh, I forgot about you. Still drinking from your thigh pads I see.

by Anonymousreply 380September 20, 2021 9:33 PM

Sorry Irulan,

I overslept because of your insane literature.

Just save your sarcasm for your dear sister Wensicia.

You know why.

You, "Bloodless Bitch" as my daughter calls you.

by Anonymousreply 381September 20, 2021 9:46 PM

Darling Chani, Your day drinking must really come to an end. Do you bottle your waste water like fine wine, or is it straight from the tap? I'm sure Chani10,191 would sell to a certain Fremen sect. And I'm sure when you reach the end of your reign of terror in that filthy Arrakeen dustbowl you won't look a day over 3499. Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 382September 20, 2021 10:07 PM

First weekend: 12 countries, 36 millions dollars total. Is that good, bad or meh?

by Anonymousreply 383September 20, 2021 10:12 PM

I got to see Dune via an advanced screening. I haven’t read the book and had zero knowledge of plot or anything pertaining to Dune beforehand.

It was okay. I wanted way more in terms of plot, but it was okay. This movie reminds me of LoTR, in that it’s really about the journey. The plot was okay but it wasn’t engaging. It didn’t suck me in.

I feel like it could have been more, like it’s incomplete.

by Anonymousreply 384September 21, 2021 5:31 AM

I saw it. While cinematically classy, it was a total snoozefest. We didn't need all those repetitive visions.

by Anonymousreply 385September 28, 2021 2:12 PM

Needs Sian Phillips and Alicia Witt to camp it up.

by Anonymousreply 386September 28, 2021 2:52 PM

Trailers do their best to promote movies in the most persuasive light possible to attract their target audience, and overall they serve their purpose well. That being said, no matter how hard they may try mask a movie's shortcomings, you can usually get a pretty good idea of the general flow and content of the film.

I've seen most of the trailers, both teasers and the longer official ones, and the impression I repeatedly get is that it will be visually engrossing, but the dialog will be banal and the melodrama trite, as most movies of this scale tend to be.

The action-adventure/science fiction genre is opium for the vast majority of the masses who attend them and people don't come for thought provoking content, and most of all, they don't want to think. Inevitably, you end up with films that cater to middle school level intellects and a meat and potatoes mindset.

I will still watch it, though. Hopefully in a cinema for the best viewing experience.

by Anonymousreply 387September 28, 2021 5:31 PM

^ Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 388September 29, 2021 2:02 PM

For those who’ve seen it, how’s his acting? Also, any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 389September 29, 2021 2:25 PM

R389

1/ Great

2/ No

by Anonymousreply 390October 1, 2021 9:25 PM

We've already seen his ass.

by Anonymousreply 391October 2, 2021 1:26 AM

R391

And his dick in this TFD trailer

We have seen all of him

by Anonymousreply 392October 2, 2021 6:48 AM

Dunne's "collapse" is cleaning up at the box office and is projected to cross the $100 million mark worldwide this weekend. It's right behind the mammoth take of No Time to Die.

Don't give up your day job yet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 393October 3, 2021 9:43 PM

^* Dune's (not Dunne's)

by Anonymousreply 394October 3, 2021 9:44 PM

Don't drag me into this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395October 3, 2021 10:10 PM

R393 Coming in at #28 for worldwide box office does not exactly scream "cleaning up". Looks like Warner's Rotten Tomatoes better buy some more reviews stat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396October 4, 2021 4:24 AM

Once a Chalatroll always a Chalatroll.

by Anonymousreply 397October 4, 2021 4:59 AM

R396 - It passed the $100 million mark this weekend. Rotten Tomatoes can say what it likes.

The film is a box office hit.

OP said its "collapse is complete!"

OP is quite obviously - wrong.

by Anonymousreply 398October 4, 2021 12:54 PM

Here you go.

And it isn't even opening until 22 October so that that Chinese gargantuan war epic eating up the Chinese box office has slowed down.

If that's a collapse, I'd like to have a similar one financially.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399October 4, 2021 12:57 PM

Final trailer. It could be a hit and even if it bombs it can still happen at the oscars. The whole thing looks like a snoozefest to me. Also, the next Star Wars and Lord of the Rings is a little much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400October 7, 2021 6:33 PM

Timothee, mon amour!

by Anonymousreply 401October 7, 2021 11:27 PM

Timmy you lil bitch ride this worm!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402October 8, 2021 2:14 AM

R400 - Another "Lord of the Rings"?!

I've missed something, haven't I?

by Anonymousreply 403October 8, 2021 1:15 PM

It's being advertised on a popular UK TV channel, ITV1. They show a ton of 5* reviews. I thought it got slammed by the critics?

by Anonymousreply 404October 8, 2021 9:51 PM

In the original DUNE film I don't remember the Paul Atreides, character, played by Kyle MacLachlan, having a love interest. Then again, the film was so awful, I didn't pay much attention.

by Anonymousreply 405October 8, 2021 10:02 PM

R404 It got a lot of very positive reviews, but with a surprising amount of mixed reviews too. I don't think really any critics slammed it.

by Anonymousreply 406October 8, 2021 10:46 PM

R405 I don't know how you missed it, Paul's relationship with Chani is foretold in his visions, and later in the desert. It's prominent.

by Anonymousreply 407October 9, 2021 2:08 AM

R405, Sean Young played the love interest.

by Anonymousreply 408October 9, 2021 2:37 AM

R402, Jason Momoa is that big? Somehow I doubt it.

Even closer than Tim's relationship with Jason is his touchy-feeliness with Oscar Isaac. It's like he's looking for a father figure of some sort or a brother.

by Anonymousreply 409October 9, 2021 1:14 PM

R409: I thought I was his Sugar Daddy?

by Anonymousreply 410October 9, 2021 1:48 PM

R409, Jason is giant- like 6”3” or 4”, and extremely broad in the shoulders. He is sex on a stick. And I got to touch his body, even though it had the Guinness weight on him (he likes to fatten himself up for “Frontier” to keep himself warm for shooting).

by Anonymousreply 411October 9, 2021 3:04 PM

Ah, r409, I didn’t see the photo (was at work)- no that is a very photoshopped photo. He is packing though.

by Anonymousreply 412October 9, 2021 3:06 PM

They should have gone ahead and cast Harry Styles as the guy who Paul fights and kills. Lots of sexual tension as Harry and Timothee find each other VERY attractive.

by Anonymousreply 413October 10, 2021 12:38 AM

[quote]I thought I was his Sugar Daddy?

[quote]—Armie

Oh, ha ha, Armie. Bite me. No, wait…

by Anonymousreply 414October 10, 2021 12:41 AM

Will the box office numbers (whether bad or good) even matter since it will be streaming on HBO Max?

by Anonymousreply 415October 13, 2021 1:37 AM

Dune exhausts me.

by Anonymousreply 416October 13, 2021 2:21 PM

Part 2 is in the pipes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417October 13, 2021 9:51 PM

Planning a sequel too early can jinx the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 418October 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Don't worry R418 , these big HW studios leave nothing to chance. Jinxing doesn't fit in their vocabulary, they will hype it up ad naseum until audiences succumb to it, because they have no choice. Just like they do with everything else. What surprises me is that people still fall for it every single time.

by Anonymousreply 419October 15, 2021 4:54 PM

It's a trilogy. The first film is just part one. Vllieneuve is doing it right.

by Anonymousreply 420October 15, 2021 4:59 PM

Ratboy and Daya are doing the rounds this week. GMA, Colbert, etc. Brace yourselves for the we're best friends forever display.

by Anonymousreply 421October 16, 2021 3:57 PM

It's their JOB to promote the film, fool.

by Anonymousreply 422October 16, 2021 4:00 PM

R414, you crack me up every time

by Anonymousreply 423October 16, 2021 4:06 PM

Yeah, R422, but the phoniness is just so forced, so cringey. Aren't they actors? Can't they pretend they genuinely like each other for 10 or 15 minutes? I can't bear it

by Anonymousreply 424October 16, 2021 4:20 PM

r417 Timmy is beyond played out for me now, but I still appreciate the skinny aesthetic of the Zendaya pairing.

by Anonymousreply 425October 16, 2021 4:34 PM

R424 It's really weird, I really do think something happened between them because, like you said, the fact they can't even fake it in public is just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 426October 16, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote] They should have gone ahead and cast Harry Styles as the guy who Paul fights and kills. Lots of sexual tension as Harry and Timothee find each other VERY attractive.

Weren’t there rumours going around that Harry was cast as Feyd (the only main character from the book who doesn’t appear in part 1, unless people are being really good about not spoiling it)?

by Anonymousreply 427October 16, 2021 4:44 PM

R426: There’s a video of them on the red carpet at Cannes just before the premiere. He’s being called over to take more photos with her. As he approaches her, you can almost see him roll his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 428October 16, 2021 4:55 PM

You call THAT some kind of smoking gun? Puh-leeze.

by Anonymousreply 429October 16, 2021 4:58 PM

It has leaked early. Out now...

by Anonymousreply 430October 17, 2021 3:17 AM

Yes, you are leaking, something.

by Anonymousreply 431October 17, 2021 3:19 AM

Dear Evan Hansen leaks and now this...

by Anonymousreply 432October 17, 2021 4:27 AM

R430 Thanks

by Anonymousreply 433October 17, 2021 8:53 AM

Piss Face is shirtless in his first scene.

by Anonymousreply 434October 17, 2021 11:00 AM

OK costumes. Nice flying craft. Meh misty fog filled sets. Acting is very uneven, the all seem to think they are in different films. All so ominous and dark but feels earth bound.

by Anonymousreply 435October 17, 2021 11:29 AM

Very interesting comment. Thank you R435, could you please get into a bit more detail about the acting?

by Anonymousreply 436October 17, 2021 4:48 PM

Dune has leaked in HD quality on all the pirate sites. Please don't risk getting covid in a movie theater and more importantly, never give Timmy any money. Watch it at home for free!

by Anonymousreply 437October 17, 2021 4:59 PM

See it in the theater. It's magnificent. Chalatroll can go fuck himself.

by Anonymousreply 438October 17, 2021 5:35 PM

R436 It is all very....repressed. The atmosphere is very repressive and military, and everyone seems to be holding emotions in check. Which is dull to watch. Stellan as Baron Harkonnen has nothing on insane Kenny in the Lynch version.

by Anonymousreply 439October 17, 2021 5:44 PM

There is anice scene of Isaacs laid out naked, no cock, but nice body.

by Anonymousreply 440October 17, 2021 8:03 PM

R437: Yeah I’m not watching Ratboy mumble for two and a half hours. With this leak, Toby Emmerich ain’t seeing another year at WB.

by Anonymousreply 441October 17, 2021 8:27 PM

R439, thanks for that, but I was hoping you will compare the different actors because you said in your post that the acting was uneven. So who do you think pulled it off and who floundered?

by Anonymousreply 442October 17, 2021 8:30 PM

R442 They all flounder. No connection at all between any of them. Momoa does his happy friendly thing. House Atradies are all repressed and dull as fuck. The Harkonens are just laughable. The Fremen are nothing, the mysterious shit gets old quick. You never get any sense of what The Bene Gesserit witches powers' are.

by Anonymousreply 443October 17, 2021 8:40 PM

That's a bummer R443 - though your observations are consistent with the reviews: looks beautiful, but dull & lifeless, which is kind of surprising, because individually they're all good actors. I was kind of looking forward to a big Star Wars/Game of Thrones type epic movie

by Anonymousreply 444October 17, 2021 10:31 PM

R444 I am watching the Lynch version again. My gods, but the design in utterly wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 445October 17, 2021 11:18 PM

R443 Yeah, it felt quite lifeless. Almost like we were watching a run-through rather than a final take.

by Anonymousreply 446October 18, 2021 1:04 AM

Just watched the leak, I fell asleep a few times...it's beautiful though

by Anonymousreply 447October 18, 2021 8:03 AM

It's beautiful but also...ordinary. In terms of the movie's look and effects, there's nothing new. The story has been so influential to other writers and filmmakers that nothing feels fresh. Characters get introduced and die and we don't really care, because we never got to know them anyway. Chalamet doesn't have the gravitas to play a messiah. It's also too long--attention started flagging about 45 mins before the end. It's not terrible, but it's not amazing either.

I can see it opening big and then falling off quickly.

by Anonymousreply 448October 18, 2021 9:02 AM

[quote] The story has been so influential to other writers and filmmakers that nothing feels fresh.

The John Carter On Mars effect.

by Anonymousreply 449October 18, 2021 9:30 AM

R444, I think it's because they have no genuine chemistry among them. It's surprising to learn/read they spent a lot of time together during filming.

by Anonymousreply 450October 18, 2021 11:56 AM

It will close after three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 451October 18, 2021 12:53 PM

R451 We are duned! We are duned!

by Anonymousreply 452October 18, 2021 12:54 PM

It is known that Chalamet is an ambitious cynic, he himself admitted it in certain interviews. And all of this is part of the Hollywood stardom machine and, really, it doesn't surprise me. You have to be if you want to thrive in that world. I haven't seen DUNE yet but I will look at it out of curiosity. Between T and Z everyone is talking about a great chemistry but I still have no reason to confirm or deny it, I am waiting to see the film. But the stans of both now want to ship them together, and that's part of the promotion of the films. It happened first with AH in CMBYN, then with Lily Rose in The King and with Saoirse Ronan in Lady Bird and Little Women. He is always presented as the ideal best friend / boyfriend for his co-star of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 453October 18, 2021 1:15 PM

Well, Saoirse wins cause twice is twice.

by Anonymousreply 454October 18, 2021 2:40 PM

I understand he has to promote a big budget studio film but the ego on this one is unbelievable. He sure loves to hear himself talk. On Good Morning America, he talked about how important it is to see Dune on the big screen. The host was trying to interject and present a clip but Ratboy kept talking over him and kept going on with his rant about seeing it in theaters. Between the leak and streaming on HBO Max, people shouldn't go to the theater and watch Ratboy mumble for 2.5 hours. They should just watch it for free at home.

by Anonymousreply 455October 18, 2021 3:40 PM

Timmy is the flavor of the month and he's past his expiration date.

by Anonymousreply 456October 18, 2021 3:44 PM

^ Been there done that.

by Anonymousreply 457October 18, 2021 3:46 PM

From R453: "Between T and Z everyone is talking about a great chemistry, but I still have no reason to confirm or deny it..."

Everyone = No One. They seem to actively dislike each other. And no one over the age of 12 believes he dated any of these people besides maybe Lily Rose. If anything, people are weary of the tired machinations of his PR team.

by Anonymousreply 458October 18, 2021 5:06 PM

In fact, aside from Lily Rose, none of these co-stars have ever interacted with him outside of the professional side. They are just the usual fantasies of his stans that explode during the promotions of his various film How else would you explain the "Charmie" bullshit, for example?

by Anonymousreply 459October 18, 2021 5:47 PM

This movie looks bad. Timotheeeee said he didn't want to do superhero flicks but this looks just like a Marvel movie.

by Anonymousreply 460October 18, 2021 5:50 PM

R460 So you haven't seen the movie? Although the trailer made it look like an action movie, it wasn't one. There was no action in the first half of the movie and some in second half. Also, no obviously fake green screen CGI like in those action hero movies.

by Anonymousreply 461October 18, 2021 10:33 PM

As predicted we got more of the we're best friends forever display on GMA. I understand they both have a big budget studio film to sell but it was so forced, fake, and painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 462October 18, 2021 10:35 PM

R461: It's 2.5 hours of boredom. Take your time with it at home. Don't pay to see it in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 463October 18, 2021 10:37 PM

Those sandworms looked just like butt-holes. The movie was way too short. I don't understand people complaining about it being too long. It was like 2 hours and 15 minutes which is way too short for an epic sci-fi. Earlier in the movie it was said how Fremen are the best fighters among all the tribes yet the mom beat Javier Bardem's character who was a Fremen's leader in a few seconds. And why did the mom looked at Timothee like that when they were changing clothes on the rocks? It was weird. To the people who have read the novel, this is just one part of the novel, right? Is there one more part or are there two more?

by Anonymousreply 464October 18, 2021 10:43 PM

r297 = Julianna Ransic

by Anonymousreply 465October 18, 2021 10:45 PM

R463 I quite enjoyed it, so no, I wasn't bored. I did watch it at home. I don't see what difference does it make if you watch in theaters as opposed to at home. And what 2.5 hours? It wasn't even 2 hours and 20 minutes. Did you sat through the credits?

by Anonymousreply 466October 18, 2021 10:46 PM

Waiting for it to to hit Amazon around Thanksgiving. Will watch while waiting for the turkey to thaw.

by Anonymousreply 467October 19, 2021 12:28 AM

The turkey might be more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 468October 19, 2021 12:42 AM

I noticed this is out in free streaming sites already. Not really interested in watching it. In fairness, it looks like already a huge hit in several countries. I think it will fare well in the US but probablly not as huge as they hope. It's still to open in UK and China as well. I think it will do better there than here.

by Anonymousreply 469October 19, 2021 1:12 AM

R469 A big hit.....in communist countries?

by Anonymousreply 470October 19, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote] Ratboy and Daya are doing the rounds this week. GMA, Colbert, etc. Brace yourselves for the we're best friends forever display

And that's exactly what happened on GMA. They professed a mutual "friends for life" connection. What a load. When the promotions are over and the movie runs its course, they'll be complete strangers once again.

[quote] It's their JOB to promote the film, fool

That reaction is a textbook example of the cognitive dissonance of Chalahoes. They're insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 471October 19, 2021 5:53 AM

Jesus Fucking Christ OP and this thread are pathetic. The same goddamned "don't see it in the theater" OOOOOH "ratboy" OOOOOOH "they don't have chemisrty" OOOOOH "it's a bore." The same preprogrammed shit over and over and over. What a shitty little trollbaby. What a sad tiny world you wallow in. Do us all a favor and go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 472October 19, 2021 7:13 AM

You can never stop Chalatroll. Chalatroll has no off switch.

by Anonymousreply 473October 19, 2021 7:21 AM

Imagine being a fangirl of both Timothee Chalamet and Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 474October 19, 2021 8:15 AM

R472/473's buttons pushed! Chalahoes just can't help themselves.

by Anonymousreply 475October 19, 2021 8:38 AM

475 Ok, but these "Chalahoes" are much saner than you, they like an actor and they comment on threads about him. Completely normal behavior. But you spend so much time commenting on and even open threads about someone who you think is untalented, ugly, looks like a rat etc. There are entertainers I don't like and I find the threads about them boring and have no interest in them. While your obsession seems really unhealthy. You must be a sad creature to spend your time this way.

by Anonymousreply 476October 19, 2021 9:26 AM

I’m sure the person who posts against Chalamet is House of Effie. She has been caught posting here about him or Hammer before.

That said, I quite liked this film. And I’m not into sci-fi shit.

by Anonymousreply 477October 19, 2021 9:34 AM

TikTok is having a blast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478October 19, 2021 9:41 AM

All three Lord of the rings movies were over three hours. And they just walk in those movies. This one lasted a bit over two hours and stuff was happening, yet it is too long and boring? If anything, I think it should have been a lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 479October 19, 2021 9:45 AM

Brian Herbert totally endorses the Dune film adaptation by Denis Villeneuve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480October 19, 2021 10:02 AM

r478 Zendaya looks taller than him.

by Anonymousreply 481October 19, 2021 11:51 AM

R481 She wears high hills. Anyhow she is very tall.

by Anonymousreply 482October 19, 2021 11:53 AM

R476 You're confused. I'm not the OP, nor have I posted using the term Ratboy, and, I can't be bothered to start threads regarding your faux knight in armor Chalahoe.

You and R472 are the truly insane ones. You frau stans come to a gay forum from the corners of the internet, ranting like spoiled little girls, because you can't cope with anyone who mocks your god Tim O'Tay. Completely unhinged behavior. Your obsession is toxic. You must be such despondent souls to spend so much of your time being in love with someone who's only in love with himself.

by Anonymousreply 483October 19, 2021 3:07 PM

Obligatory "Girls, Girls, you both fucking annoying!"

Carry on, haters and stans.

by Anonymousreply 484October 19, 2021 4:24 PM

I heard Timeeee is gay! I heard Timeeeee isn't gay! I heard Timeeeeee doesn't have (get the smelling salts) chemistry with Zendina! I heard Timeeee's movie is too long! I heard Timeeeee is only in love with himself! I heard Timeeeeee..........

by Anonymousreply 485October 19, 2021 5:30 PM

^^^ I rest my case, your honor.

by Anonymousreply 486October 19, 2021 5:34 PM

^The troll appears. Hi Chalatroll. Having a Timeeeeeee day?

by Anonymousreply 487October 19, 2021 5:38 PM

You're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 488October 19, 2021 5:39 PM

Talking to yourself. Again.

by Anonymousreply 489October 19, 2021 5:39 PM

So, Chalatroll. What's new TODAY? Does Timeeeee have a hair out of place? Or an untied shoe lace? Do tell. We're all on pins and needles.

by Anonymousreply 490October 19, 2021 5:42 PM

Oh, you poor, poor thing. How often do you spread your legs wide, in the middle of your despairing nights, dreaming that Teeemeee, in some magical apparition, has come to impale you with his throbbing member?

Asking for one of your friends.

by Anonymousreply 491October 19, 2021 6:29 PM

It looks great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492October 19, 2021 6:39 PM

The movie was way too short. Everything felt rushed. I haven't read the book but I'm sure it goes more into details about how this universe and all the different tribes operate. Bad guys had 10 minutes of screen time. And I know there's a lot of books in the Dune saga. Wouldn't this work better as 1 hour long HBO tv shows, for w couple of seasons? Like GoT

by Anonymousreply 493October 19, 2021 6:55 PM

R493 probably has a valid point; people are used to HBO/GoT-type series with big budgets spending a lot of time establishing the groundwork for who is who. Trying to condense a complex story into a movie, even if it is just part one of a series, is probably a tougher sell

by Anonymousreply 494October 19, 2021 7:00 PM

R491 Wow, you have some really steamy dreams. No wonder you keep posting on Chalamet thread all day.

by Anonymousreply 495October 19, 2021 7:14 PM

With every new trailer and clip, I feel like I've already seen this thing a million times before. And no, I don't mean the Lynch version. I mean every goddamn sci-fi/fantasy franchise of the last 30-40 years. I know, technically, DUNE predated a lot of them, but here we are again. Hero's Journey. Stranger in a strange land. Young man going native. Warring houses. Blah, blah, blah. I just can't again.

by Anonymousreply 496October 20, 2021 4:12 PM

So what are all these other movies you mentioned? Name them.

by Anonymousreply 497October 20, 2021 4:16 PM

I'm not r496, but a couple that spring immediately to mind are: Star Wars, Mad Max (Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road), Tremors, Stargate.

by Anonymousreply 498October 20, 2021 5:18 PM

How is it actually conceivable that R497 is somehow unaware of the influence Dune has had on scifi movies since its release? Honestly, Chalamet fangirls are the absolute dumbest.

by Anonymousreply 499October 20, 2021 6:13 PM

Chalatroll, it's me, Tinnitus Charlemagne. I think I love you. Like all Hollywood celebrities, I constantly read Datalounge, hoping beyond hope that some obsessive compulsive douche will bring up my name over and over again. I have nothing do to with my days, and this is my one true passion. You are the only one dedicated to my every move, my every breath. Only you noticed by fake chemistry with Zootopia. You are SO right. I hate her, and her puta is stanky. Only you have repeatedly told readers NOT to see DUNE in the theater or give me money. I will live as a pauper at your command. Only you have called me RATBOY, a name that secretly thrills me to my core being. Call me that dirty name AGAIN, my king. I will be your beesh. Or you can be y beesh for my slender, pale male appendage. Yes, you are MY quizatshatrack. Thank you Chalatroll, thank you for putting me in my naughty place. You can destroy my career, with your ratboy zingers. You have the power, not those Hollywood elites who keep casting me in everything for indie hits to megablockbuster trilogies. Every time I pose for yet another magazine cover, I will be thinking of you, my king, my love.

by Anonymousreply 500October 20, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]I'm not [R496], but a couple that spring immediately to mind are: Star Wars, Mad Max (Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road), Tremors, Stargate.

And Avatar and John Carter.

by Anonymousreply 501October 20, 2021 6:55 PM

Don't forget Pretty Woman, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, The Hills Have Eyes, Eyewitness, Witness For The Prosecution, and CATS.

by Anonymousreply 502October 20, 2021 6:58 PM

^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503October 20, 2021 6:59 PM

Awww, Chalatroll's overreactions are so predictable. Thank you, my KING.

by Anonymousreply 504October 20, 2021 7:05 PM

Whenever you hear best friends for forever on a promo tour, that’s how you know they hate each other.

by Anonymousreply 505October 20, 2021 7:28 PM

Beat that dead horse!

by Anonymousreply 506October 20, 2021 7:29 PM

I was looking forward to this. Started the film about an hour ago and was bored so I decided to come here to read the comments. I'll finish it but so far I'm slightly disappointed. I'm indifferent to Timothee Chalamet as an actor.

I'll rewatch Lynch's version tomorrow. It's a great, fun movie with cool actors and amazing visuals. I always loved it.

by Anonymousreply 507October 20, 2021 8:11 PM

There's at least a few comments on here in defense of Lynch's version. I watched it recently on HBO (I also saw it when it was first released) and almost immediately found it to be a muddled, meandering, and fragmented mess as it plodded along. I have never read the book, but didn't need to in order to realize the disordered heap that this movie largely was.

DUNE's 1984 interstellar special FX scenes were atrocious compared to what the Star Wars franchise had accomplished at the time, and substantially cheapened its science fiction theme. It looked almost 50s era fake and it's obvious that a lion's share of the film's budget was invested elsewhere. I really don't see how people can claim that Villeneuve's interpretation is worse.

by Anonymousreply 508October 20, 2021 8:32 PM

R508 Watch it and see.

by Anonymousreply 509October 20, 2021 8:38 PM

Because it actually feels alive. It's not just neutral tones and lifelessness.

by Anonymousreply 510October 20, 2021 8:39 PM

Whatever. The BO is all that matters now. And releasing a day early on HBO Max, and being leaked last week, it doesn't look good...

by Anonymousreply 511October 21, 2021 5:51 AM

R479 "And all they did was walk in those movies"

???

Then, you slept through the battles? Lothlorian? Rivendell and the Council of Elrond? The awakening of Theodem in Rohan? The passage through Moria and the Balrog on the bridge, the Moria sequence still in my view the single best sword and sorcery sequence ever filmed? The Shelob sequence inside Barad dur? The calling up of the dead to fulfill their oaths?

All they did was walk?

by Anonymousreply 512October 21, 2021 12:40 PM

Who wants to watch a movie about sand?

by Anonymousreply 513October 21, 2021 12:44 PM

^*Theoden

by Anonymousreply 514October 21, 2021 12:45 PM

[quote] Then, you slept through the battles? Lothlorian? Rivendell and the Council of Elrond? The awakening of Theodem in Rohan? The passage through Moria and the Balrog on the bridge, the Moria sequence still in my view the single best sword and sorcery sequence ever filmed? The Shelob sequence inside Barad dur? The calling up of the dead to fulfill their oaths?

I’m going to revisit this paragraph tonight if I have trouble falling asleep.

by Anonymousreply 515October 21, 2021 2:13 PM

The French Dispatch is looking like a flop in the making. There's been almost no publicity but of course they released his bathtub scene over the summer in the hopes that his fraus go see it.

by Anonymousreply 516October 22, 2021 2:18 AM

Even the reviews trying to be nice are damning.

"Dune is a gorgeous but imperfect epic, a technical wonder that spends too much time setting up a third act that never comes." --from IGN.

I subscribe to the viewpoint that Dune is probably unfilmable as a single movie and would have done better getting the limited run one season / 10 epsiode Netflix treatment.

by Anonymousreply 517October 22, 2021 4:03 AM

[quote] Then, you slept through the battles? Lothlorian? Rivendell and the Council of Elrond? The awakening of Theodem in Rohan? The passage through Moria and the Balrog on the bridge, the Moria sequence still in my view the single best sword and sorcery sequence ever filmed? The Shelob sequence inside Barad dur? The calling up of the dead to fulfill their oaths?

What's Elvish for "Mary!"?

by Anonymousreply 518October 22, 2021 4:11 AM

R516 Yeah it's really odd how there's been nothing for it.

R517 Agreed. They're doing a female-focussed spinoff for HBO Max too.

Some of the reviews for The French Dispatch said that the individual stories don't have enough time for the viewer to get invested. Sounds like that might've been better as a miniseries too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519October 22, 2021 4:21 AM

The new Dune movie is actually pretty great... I just hope part 2 gets made so we get the complete story.

by Anonymousreply 520October 22, 2021 5:27 AM

[quote] I subscribe to the viewpoint that Dune is probably unfilmable as a single movie

… that’s why they have split it in two.

by Anonymousreply 521October 22, 2021 7:44 AM

[quote] What's Elvish for "Mary!"?

Elbereth Gilthoniel!

by Anonymousreply 522October 22, 2021 7:50 AM

Oh man, it was spectacular! I am a dune super fan And I LOVED it. This is going to be a hit, there's no doubt. It felt epic, like original star wars was purported to have felt like. Chally is an excellent Paul, really the entire cast was very well decided.

by Anonymousreply 523October 22, 2021 9:08 AM

R523 I will go and see it, although I don't like going to cinema now that I have to wear that mask through whole film, but I would go just to watch pretty Chally.

by Anonymousreply 524October 22, 2021 9:30 AM

[quote]… that’s why they have split it in two.

Each part of a two part movie still has to be structured with beats>scenes>sequences>acts with a beginning, middle, and end.

A two part movie still has to be sufficiently coherent individually.

by Anonymousreply 525October 22, 2021 11:09 AM

Are we saying "Chally" now?

by Anonymousreply 526October 22, 2021 11:26 AM

R516, you mean the Wes Anderson film? Wes is an Indie film darling, the French Dispatch was never intended for the unwashed masses. Therein lies its appeal

by Anonymousreply 527October 22, 2021 11:34 AM

I went in with an open mind but I’m sorry it was terrible. Uneven acting, ok special effects, boring plot, woke casting, woke lines, Ratboy mumbling for 2 hours(he’s no messiah), and it abruptly ends just as it starts to get good.

by Anonymousreply 528October 22, 2021 12:04 PM

Poor Dune.

by Anonymousreply 529October 22, 2021 12:57 PM

Looking forward to seeing Josh O'Connor as the giant worm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530October 22, 2021 2:22 PM

R528 is a moron, and apparently an idiot Trumpster.

The movie is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 531October 22, 2021 3:19 PM

It's dropping on Rotten Tomatoes now that the real reviews are coming in. The consensus is that the film is all visuals and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 532October 22, 2021 3:26 PM

It's about as good an adaptation as you can expect.

Kind of upset about how much is cut out, especially when it comes to several characters that get shorted, but you have to cut SOMETHING to get that sprawling epic on the screen I guess.

The nay-sayers are just objectively wrong. It's very well done, engaging, a visual feast, good acting, and a more-or-less faithful adaptation (while not being so slavish that it doesn't work on the big screen).

VASTLY superior to the Lynch flim, and to that staid mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 533October 22, 2021 3:31 PM

It's somewhat visually striking, but it's also sort of stupid looking. The Harkonnen Palace is just giant empty interior spaces with no furniture--it seems unimaginable anyone would want to live there.

There's no attempt to make the dress uniforms of the Atreides men look like anything other than 1940s European dress uniforms, even to the fact that Oscar Isaac's jackets have a single vent at the back.

Chalamet has a stupid contemporary haircut that's long at the top so that hair keeps falling in front of his eyes.

Characters we don't get to see yet: Feyd-Rauth, the Emperor, any of the Navigators...

by Anonymousreply 534October 22, 2021 3:41 PM

From the Slate review: "This film is a curiously paradoxical achievement: a visual and aural marvel that is also a crashing bore." A bit like the lead himself. Or as another reviewer put it, "Chalamet remains more haircut than actor".

by Anonymousreply 535October 22, 2021 3:56 PM

If only they made it one film and chopped out half of that as well.

by Anonymousreply 536October 22, 2021 4:01 PM

This should have been at least a four hours movie.

by Anonymousreply 537October 22, 2021 4:08 PM

Sounds like it’s beautiful to see, but boring to sit through.

Kind of like “Barry Lyndon in Space!”

by Anonymousreply 538October 22, 2021 4:12 PM

84% with critics, 94% with audiences on RT. A strong showing with Warner Bros hinting that Part 2 will happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539October 22, 2021 4:20 PM

R531 Anyone who disagrees with me is a TRUMPSTER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540October 22, 2021 4:21 PM

Oh Chalatroll, and his beloved ratboy. Get a room, you two.

by Anonymousreply 541October 22, 2021 4:23 PM

Ooh, Chalatroll is busy liking his own posts. Charity begins at home.

by Anonymousreply 542October 22, 2021 4:31 PM

Lead has too much testosterone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543October 23, 2021 3:46 AM

Ouch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544October 23, 2021 6:45 AM

That review, R544 is less about the new Dune than how much the reviewer loved the David Lynch version.

by Anonymousreply 545October 23, 2021 7:19 AM

Dune is on track to be Warner Brothers biggest release during the pandemic. "A sequel for Dune is for certain..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546October 23, 2021 7:29 AM

R546 Lies. If people know now there will be no sequel, even less will go.

by Anonymousreply 547October 23, 2021 7:39 AM

I want DUNE part 2 and part 3.

This wonderful film is JUST an introduction to the story.

by Anonymousreply 548October 23, 2021 8:52 AM

I made it to an hour before going to bed because it was putting me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 549October 23, 2021 11:34 AM

“Dune”s COLLAPSE is COMPLETE!

This is such good news because I hate partial collapses.

by Anonymousreply 550October 23, 2021 11:38 AM

R545, that's what happens when you allow an old fart to review a film. To them the past is always better and nothing made now would satisfy them

by Anonymousreply 551October 23, 2021 11:44 AM

“dune boring” is autopopulating on Twitter

by Anonymousreply 552October 23, 2021 12:28 PM

[quote] Lies. If people know now there will be no sequel, even less will go.

Can you cite that claim? I'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 553October 23, 2021 2:23 PM

R546, That's not good considering how much the movie cost. Halloween Kills and A Quiet Place 2 cost less than half to make and made more money.

by Anonymousreply 554October 23, 2021 4:23 PM

The movie is definitely NOT boring. I thought it was enthralling.

I think people who think it's boring have AADD or something. Or they're just easily bored.

I watched it on HBOMax, and will probably go to see it again in Theaters once crowds die down a bit.

by Anonymousreply 555October 23, 2021 5:04 PM

R555 Or it could just be some people have a different opinion to you. Shocking thought, I know.

by Anonymousreply 556October 23, 2021 6:05 PM

I saw it. It's very well done and it is true to the book. The fight scenes looked bad though. The problem is that Dune should not be a movie. It should be a miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 557October 23, 2021 6:19 PM

Oops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558October 23, 2021 7:24 PM

There were moments but overall it was a bore. Timmy may look young but he is completely unconvincing as a warrior. He also sounds like a bored valley girl so he needs to work on his diction. You also could tell when they threw in stupid one liners or tried to cater to the Marvel crowd (Jason Mamoa). Besides being too long, it is frustrating and incomplete.

by Anonymousreply 559October 23, 2021 7:57 PM

I have loved the book since I was a teenager. This is the best visual adaptation I've seen yet. While I enjoyed Kyle MacLachlan's performance, he was a bit too old. Paul is a boy, a smart boy on the cusp of manhood, but not fully grown. The time elapse for filming a sequel would give Chalamet time to bulk up a bit. And I loved the throat singing on Salusa Secundus when the Sardaukar troops were shown. Villeneuve got so many things right.

by Anonymousreply 560October 23, 2021 8:35 PM

R560

Did you notice the way Gurney Halleck helps the Lady Jessica when all the Atreides step down on Arrakis?

Everything is already in the details that Denis Villeneuve is planting.

by Anonymousreply 561October 23, 2021 9:20 PM

Just got back from seeing it. Meh. The attack on the desert city was pretty exciting, and the visuals were impressive, but I was never engaged by the story. Also, the constant whispering was drowned out by the sound design and music, so half the time I had no idea what was being said.

by Anonymousreply 562October 23, 2021 10:00 PM

R555 r560 I agree with both of you, and like you both I am a super fan of the book, and I wonder if all the people who think it was boring are just not fans of the book. R560 is right, there are TONS of little details that are thrown in there that the uninitiated would miss but the book fans will get. It felt like LOTR in that way.

by Anonymousreply 563October 24, 2021 1:08 AM

R560 Kyle MacLachlan was the same age when he made Dune as Timothée is now.

by Anonymousreply 564October 24, 2021 1:39 AM

R563, I will say that I enjoyed Dune (2021) far, far more than I did either of the first two LOTR films (I never bothered with the third). While Dune didn't engage me emotionally, I didn't resort to looking at the time out of boredom until the last 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 565October 24, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote] I agree with both of you, and like you both I am a super fan of the book, and I wonder if all the people who think it was boring are just not fans of the book. [R560] is right, there are TONS of little details that are thrown in there that the uninitiated would miss but the book fans will get. It felt like LOTR in that way.

Except, the LOTR movies clearly worked for non-reader audiences on their own merits (not for me; I was bored silly). The details were just little bonuses for the fans and the stories seemed to work for most everyone.

by Anonymousreply 566October 24, 2021 9:20 AM

R564 Interesting. Kyle looked like a young MAN. Timothee still looks like a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 567October 24, 2021 9:54 AM

I just watched on HBO Max and I think it's an excellent opening chapter. Really well done. Wish I could go see it in IMAX, but not willing to sit in a closed space that long.

by Anonymousreply 568October 24, 2021 11:56 AM

R567

Paul Atreides is 15 and small for his age at the beginning of Dune.

According to the source material: Frank Herbert book.

by Anonymousreply 569October 24, 2021 1:19 PM

Bravo Denis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570October 24, 2021 1:20 PM

Next time, let a Korean direct it.

by Anonymousreply 571October 24, 2021 1:21 PM

It is not my type of movie at all, but Chally is my type of guy, so I will go to see it. But I don’t like this girl Zootropia, she is big boned, common and coarse. Wish they paired him with a nicer girl, like the one who played Marzia in Cmbyn. I was even cheering for team Marzia in Cmbyn, because that Oliver was one nasty pervo I hated.

by Anonymousreply 572October 24, 2021 2:12 PM

So I have nothing against Cmbyn 2 in which Elio will be back with Marzia, as heteronormative Guadagnino had announced. Just to chase the ugly motherfucker Oliver away. But Hammer did it himself, hehe.

by Anonymousreply 573October 24, 2021 2:14 PM

There will be no CMBYN 2. Hammer killed it.

by Anonymousreply 574October 24, 2021 2:35 PM

R573 I know and good that Hammer killed it, because I wouldn’t watch old perv (now even older and bloated) Oliver with Elio anymore. As I said I would prefer Marzia, she was a nice kid.

by Anonymousreply 575October 24, 2021 2:39 PM

R573, though Hammer is many things, ugly is not one of them

Just sayin' — he's not even my type

by Anonymousreply 576October 24, 2021 4:22 PM

It looks very taupe.

by Anonymousreply 577October 24, 2021 4:22 PM

Who the fuck is Chally? And calling skinny and exotic looking Zendaya, big boned and common? You gotta be an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 578October 24, 2021 4:36 PM

Timmy Chally?

by Anonymousreply 579October 24, 2021 4:42 PM

Zendaya — big boned? She is like a toothpick or like a twig

by Anonymousreply 580October 24, 2021 4:43 PM

Ok I wasn’t precise, I meant big, built like a drag queen, not fat.

by Anonymousreply 581October 24, 2021 4:51 PM

I checked I see she is slim, but she gave me the impression of something big and not feminine, a bit like trans, so I wrongly accused her of being big boned.

by Anonymousreply 582October 24, 2021 4:57 PM

And common yes, without any sophistication and as I mentioned, femininity.

by Anonymousreply 583October 24, 2021 4:58 PM

Pedo thread

by Anonymousreply 584October 24, 2021 5:03 PM

There is no such thing as “big boned.”

You’re a “common” idiot.

by Anonymousreply 585October 24, 2021 5:03 PM

R585 Go take your medication, you hysterical frau.

by Anonymousreply 586October 24, 2021 5:05 PM

R585 Go and find some pervo who likes destroyed stinky holes on Grindr to make you feel better.

by Anonymousreply 587October 24, 2021 5:11 PM

So it was neither a smash hit nor a total bomb. It'll probably just break even after all is said and done. Will there be a sequel if this one is not that profitable? We'll know in a few days perhaps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588October 24, 2021 5:21 PM

R582 it would be interesting to see what you look like

by Anonymousreply 589October 24, 2021 6:13 PM

R589 But I am not acting, so it doesn't matter, but people find me an attractive guy.

Taylor Russel is a good match for Chally, they play together in Bones and all. She is beautiful and sweet. Guadagnino knows show to pair him with women, but not with men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590October 24, 2021 6:21 PM

And here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591October 24, 2021 6:25 PM

As for Cmbyn, Oliver should have been so much younger. In the book he was a 24 yo boy, and in the film an older creep. And they should have been of similar size, they were exchanging clothes, giant and old plus cold and wooden Oliver was out of place.

by Anonymousreply 592October 24, 2021 6:38 PM

"The weekend leader, however, was Warner Bros/Legendary’s Dune which began offshore rollout back in September and just spiced up its worldwide cume with an additional $47.4M overseas and, along with its domestic debut, easily crossed $200M global through Sunday, as we previously noted was poised to happen. IMAX also had its biggest global October opening ever with Dune, mounding $17.8M for an unprecedented 20.3% of the worldwide weekend total.

The Denis Villeneuve-directed Dune led offshore business for the session, taking an estimated $47.4M on 49,205 screens in 75 overseas markets. This lifts the running cume to $180.6M internationally, and to $220.7M worldwide. The overall holdover drop was a terrific 38%."

So much for that COLLAPSE, eh, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593October 24, 2021 7:29 PM

R593 Overseas is mostly finished now, Will may take 80 million in America.

by Anonymousreply 594October 24, 2021 7:51 PM

There's nothing common about Zendaya.

by Anonymousreply 595October 24, 2021 8:02 PM

R594 Overseas is not "mostly finished" at all - the film only opened early in 14 territories, with it rolling out in all remaining territories, such as the UK, on the same weekend as the US opening. It has grossed $40.1 million in its US/Canada opening weekend which is above the $30-$35 million pre-opening estimates & represents the best opening both for any 2021 Warners title and of Villeneuve's career.

Given that it was released to streaming at the same time as theatres in the US, and the fact that it's an adult orientated film, rather than a Marvel/Transformers style piece of schlock, that's in no way indicative of a "flop".

by Anonymousreply 596October 24, 2021 8:25 PM

I question the sanity and attention span of anyone who finds LOTR or this movie dull and boring. Seriously. We could never be friends. Stick to Michael Bay movies or something.

by Anonymousreply 597October 24, 2021 8:26 PM

R592, Oh, ffs this is not a cmbyn thread, that film was released 4 years ago!!! Get over it!

We are talking about Dune. Have you seen the film. No? Then move on...

by Anonymousreply 598October 24, 2021 8:26 PM

It's looking more and more like Part 2 will happen. I really hope Timothy does bulk up for it. They made such a show of showing how skinny he was, and mocking his lack of muscle. We need to see him bulk up and become the leader of a massive jihad.

I found it interesting that, like, HALF the main characters got offed in this first movie. Which made me sad more of them didn't really get moments to shine.

by Anonymousreply 599October 24, 2021 8:29 PM

Is this the end?

by Anonymousreply 600October 24, 2021 8:31 PM

What I LOVED about DUNE:

- the relationship between Duncan and Paul was such a nice touch, and from their first scene together I knew that Duncan’s death was going to hit HARD (and it did). the way that Paul couldn’t make sense of his visions and did everything to try and stop them, and how he was so relieved every time he saw Duncan again, and then the panic he showed when he realizes it’s finally happening and there’s nothing he can do to stop it. exquisite.

- i LOVED seeing the desert mouse as a repeated image throughout the film. it really drove home how much Paul was trying to hold onto his innocence and how terrified he was of the future and the violence he knew was in store for him. it still just breaks me that he CHOSE the name Muad’dib for himself (at least in the book, unsure of how that will play out in the film.

- he resisted his destiny because he never wanted to kill anyone, but the inevitability of it all just weighed so heavily on him, and you can see that in the tent scene and the duel scene with Jamis.

- In the books Chani always calls Paul: Usul; she thinks at this point that Paul is not the Madhi. But I guess that this is for part 2, I guess.

- the death of Liet-Kynes was so raw and dramatic and i loved it. the movie did such a great job illustrating how connected the Fremen are with the ecology of Arrakis.

- the Voice was SO WELL DONE i was wondering what effects they would use and seeing/hearing it in IMAX was 100% worth the $20 price of admission. seriously go see this movie in IMAX, if at all possible.

- really appreciated that they didn’t try to cater this movie to the normal entertainment-seeking movie-going crowd. it wasn’t overloaded with quips or anything, and i never felt like they had cut something for the sake of crowd-pleasing or avoiding controversy.

- i was in a pretty packed theatre and i think the audience only laughed like once. it was such a different experience from what i’m used to with marvel and star wars movies, and it was SO REFRESHING. this story is an EPIC and they embraced that. this movie is what a blockbuster should be, not fast and furious #3123

- the set design?? literally all of the architecture looked exactly like i imagined it. and i was almost squealing over the ornithopters they looked SO. GOOD.

- Hans my man you really put it all out there for this score and we love you for it. the score was the definition of pulse-pounding, especially during the invasion sequence.

- i was honestly worried they would do away with the whole jihad thing because of all the post 9/11 islamophobia, but even if they didn’t explicitly say jihad, the idea and threat of it were still VERY present in Paul’s visions

- still pissed they said crusade in the first trailer but it’s whatever, that line didn’t end up in the movie anyway. really excited to see how they expand on that in the second part.

- “i should have married you” OSCAR YOU CAN’T JUST SAY THINGS LIKE THAT.

- "It's only the beginning".

by Anonymousreply 601October 25, 2021 5:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!