Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

baby squirrel in my yard

It appears to have fallen out of the tree. I moved it to the base of the tree without touching it directly. I have left messages for 3 wildlife rescue groups, but does anyone know how long the mom will generally take to come get her baby? Should I not have moved it?

by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2022 7:25 AM

Good for you maybe this will help or email them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2021 4:50 PM

I’m not even sure squirrels are capable of picking up their babies and carrying them back up into their nest. Rabbits aren’t. If you leave it there it will either get eaten by a cat or die of exposure/starvation.

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2021 4:50 PM

Is that the same tree the mama's nest is in? You should put him in a nest (even a cardboard box) that has something in it to keep him warm, and place it in or near where his real nest is, so his mom can find him.

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2021 4:50 PM

You should shove it up your ass, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote] If a baby squirrel or their nest has fallen to the ground, put them back in the tree for the mother to collect. The safest way to do this is to use a basket or pot you can put the nest in and hang or place in the tree.

I guess this might be right? But maybe use gloves and don't breath too much on the baby? And leave a little fruit in the basket, to attract the mom and feed the baby while the mom is looking for him?

I'm sorry this happened. It's sad for the baby and very stressful for you no doubt.

But thank you for seeking to do the right thing. BTW, he's probably not safe at the base of three so I'd act fast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2021 4:53 PM

*breathe

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2021 4:53 PM

r2, I talked to someone who answered the phone at the places I first called, and she told me they do and that the mom's probably watching everything I do, waiting till she feels safe to get her baby.

I will check that out now, r1.

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2021 4:53 PM

And maybe mash some of the fruit up, so the baby has an easier time eating it. A mushy peach mashed a bit?

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2021 4:54 PM

Thank you so much for doing the right thing, OP. I do think that if you handle him directly, he may be abandoned/never collected by the mother. So gloves, etc. would be good.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2021 4:54 PM

Dollface thread.

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2021 4:56 PM

This has a lot of helpful tips!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2021 4:56 PM

OP, please let us know how it goes, and if you need more help (research, etc. - phone numbers even) please let us know.

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2021 4:56 PM

Do you have any peanuts? I'd leave some, shelled and broken up, in the basket in which you leave with the baby, if you go in that direction. They can smell them well, I think.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2021 4:58 PM

Depending on the age of the squirrel, they can aspirate if you attempt to feed them. Like the rescue said, just put it in a box or basket. Keep an eye on it, and if the mother does not take it back, then take it to a rescue.

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2021 4:58 PM

What metro area are you in, OP? We can find rescues, in case the mother doesn't collect the baby.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2021 5:00 PM

*We can find more rescues to contact

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2021 5:02 PM

No need to worry about "leaving your scent" on a baby animal. The mothers don't care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2021 5:02 PM

R17, I think that pertains to birds, as the article you linked to specifically mentions not worrying about leaving one's scent on birds, but doesn't mention any other animal in relation to the precaution.

OP, please do try to use gloves (and a mask even). Again, if you need help, let us know.

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2021 5:07 PM

Move it to the sidewalk carefully and stomp on its little head.

Squirrels are a nuisance in most areas.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2021 5:14 PM

R19

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2021 5:15 PM

You're probably right, R18.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2021 5:15 PM

ACTUALLY, it is best to let nature follow its course. Don't insert your baby-animal fetish into simple matters of everyday population balances, which you're lazy and insincere about anyway. OP had to plop a thread here instead of bothering to Google info or a local source of rescue care.

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2021 5:18 PM

R19 = R22. Just blocked him and realized.

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2021 5:20 PM

Is it a rescue squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2021 5:21 PM

Good job OP you have single-handedly MURDERED a baby squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2021 5:23 PM

My cat would like to know where said baby squirrel is, just to help protect the wee baby of course.

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2021 5:25 PM

R13, I'd suggest poached cod with prunes and tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2021 5:28 PM

This happened to me once. I left it in the yard for a few hours. The mother never came back. I gave it some water from a dropper, made a shoe box into a nest. I took it to a rescue site. They told me they euthanize them because they can't be returned to nature if they shelter them into adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2021 5:32 PM

Many years ago, I had a squirrel nest in my garage. The mother carried her babies in her mouth, when I discovered it. I would think the mother would come and get it? I know fawns left alone is normal...the mom comes back later. It's best to contact wildlife services. They would know.

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2021 5:34 PM

I hope there are no dogs around or any other predators.

by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2021 5:36 PM

Do you want a pet squirrel OP? It could be on your shoulder as a little "buddy"...

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2021 5:37 PM

I spoke with someone who told me that a mother squirrel will not come get her baby if it's cold because she will think it's dead. I was told to bring it inside for 2 hours because it's been on its own for at least 4 hours, keep it warm, don't try to feed it or give it water because it's too young, then put it back out for another 2 hours. This person is also making some calls for me. Thanks to all of you who care.

I took a photo...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2021 5:44 PM

Awwww...that is a cute photo. Good luck, OP, and good luck, baby squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 33September 3, 2021 5:49 PM

Awwww R32, OP. What a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 34September 3, 2021 5:54 PM

OP you are a wonderful person for doing this. Hope the baby squirrel gets rescued.

by Anonymousreply 35September 3, 2021 5:54 PM

Why don't you just keep it as a pet, OP? It will probably have a nicer life as your pet than in the wild.

And from what R28 said, better than the rescue center.

by Anonymousreply 36September 3, 2021 5:57 PM

You can broil them with a little lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 37September 3, 2021 6:11 PM

OP if the mom doesn’t come back you have to keep it. It can run around in the back yard under your supervision. Maybe give it some nut milk. Like almond milk or something. It’s got to be hungry. What do the babies eat?

by Anonymousreply 38September 3, 2021 6:46 PM

It also appears that baby squirrels can’t go to the bathroom unless you stimulate them to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 3, 2021 6:51 PM

This is how I found Joel. I kept and raised him alongside my adorable dog, Mitzi. Joel suckles from my teet.

by Anonymousreply 40September 3, 2021 7:30 PM

It may be cute now but eventually you may have to deal with it differently.

by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2021 7:42 PM

Is there any type of wildlife refuge near your home, or a wild animal rehab center. They handle situations like this. The veterinary hospital where my partner works handled a situation a couple of months ago where two baby raccoons were sent to a center where they would mature to the point where they could be released to live on their own.

by Anonymousreply 42September 3, 2021 8:08 PM

You’re going to have to set up camp in your yard if you have to keep going in and out every two hours. You can’t leave him alone in the box without watching out for him. Without protection he’s literally being offered up to hawks, owls, foxes, cats and coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2021 8:24 PM

Hang a bird feeder right above the baby squirrel, the mother will find it within five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2021 8:28 PM

Have you checked the street for a dead squirrel? I found a baby squirrel sitting by its dead mama in the street. He didn’t move for like 15 minutes. I scooped him up and brought him to the wildlife rescue center that helped me when I had baby skunks abandoned in my basement window well. The key to these places are sometimes knowing where they are and just showing up with whoever needed to rescued. But it sounds like OP has found some resources willing to help.

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2021 8:35 PM

No one can take this squirrel. I am very upset right now.

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2021 8:58 PM

I think I found the solution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote]And maybe mash some of the fruit up, so the baby has an easier time eating it. A mushy peach mashed a bit?

Instead I'd recommend you mash the baby up so that the feral dogs have an easier time eating it.

by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2021 9:00 PM

I've included a link to a page explaining how to take care of a baby squirrel. Don't expect miracles, but it can be done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2021 9:06 PM

R46 it’s up to you now. Try to get it to mama if u can. Set it upright close to where you found it. If the mama never comes hopefully you can save it. Please keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2021 10:18 PM

Hey all,

I finally was able to get him to someone who works for a vet and knows how to care for baby squirrels. In fact, she's looking after 3 others about his age. I named him Abbott because I wanted him to have a name, and told his new caretaker. I am so relieved. I will hopefully get updates every so often. Thanks again to everyone who offered helpful advice.

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2021 10:37 PM

Thanks for the update, OP. Good news indeed!

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2021 10:39 PM

OP, did you try to make him available for the mom to collect him? She might have been right there, looking for him… ?

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2021 11:14 PM

OP, I'm so happy you found someone to care for him. I would hate to be in your shoes, finding this sweet baby; the anxiety would be unbearable. Good for you finding a solution.

by Anonymousreply 54September 4, 2021 12:52 AM

When I was growing up in South back in 1960s we ate squirrel. Fried it like chicken and made white gravy. This one would have been a little lunch squirrel with gravy and a biscuit.

I don't get the lovey dovey squirrel attitude.

by Anonymousreply 55September 4, 2021 1:47 AM

OP, for you, a story of a successful squirrel rehab. My friend Brantley and Bella (and Cyd makes an appearance, he's one of my rescues straight to Brantley)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 4, 2021 2:27 AM

OP, did you at least give the mom a chance to collect her baby after he’d warmed up a bit?

by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2021 2:29 AM

I'm coming to take him into town to have him destroyed!

by Anonymousreply 58September 4, 2021 2:52 AM

Sadly, an update. While crossing the road...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 4, 2021 2:53 AM

Good job, OP! I'm glad you found someone to care for the squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 60September 4, 2021 2:08 PM

Squirrels plant trees, we need more trees.

by Anonymousreply 61September 4, 2021 2:14 PM

It's apparent that many of you have never lived around squirrels. Especially if you have a house and yard.

Rats with fur. Devious. Destructive. Apparently constantly fucking because their population is insane.

And they may plant trees, but they eat and destroy everything else that you plant in your garden.

They're cute for awhile but the longer you live with them the more likely you are to...well, let's leave it at not think they're cute anymore.

by Anonymousreply 62September 4, 2021 2:21 PM

[quote] Squirrels plant trees, we need more trees.

I’ll plant my own tree thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 4, 2021 4:31 PM

R62, what are you, a subsistence farmer? Having a garden is nice because of all the life it brings forth —including the animals.

by Anonymousreply 64September 4, 2021 4:45 PM

As a backup plan, perhaps Greg has a squirrel recipe.

by Anonymousreply 65September 4, 2021 5:11 PM

I’m going coon huntin’, old woman!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 4, 2021 5:18 PM

r62, perhaps this would be the most ideal location for you to live out your life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2021 12:55 AM

Yes, I did, r57. I would have liked to have given her more time, but I live in the backroads where there is no shortage of predators. I also was very concerned about being able to care for him, and for his well-being.

by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2021 12:59 AM

I loved Miss Squirrel. She doesn't come around any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2021 2:14 AM

Down here in Louisiana they would have put him in the frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2021 2:31 AM

Miss Squirrel making a mess on my desk...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2021 3:47 AM

r69/71: She is adorable! How long was she around?

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2021 2:36 PM

Maybe 1-2 years, r72. The last time I saw her was about a year ago. She'd come to my window on one of these wires and when she left, she'd just leap to the roof next door, landing on this pipe. It made me nervous, but she always nailed her landing. She suddenly stopped coming around and all of the other squirrels I'd see on the rooftop disappeared as well. I wasn't seeing squirrels in the neighborhood either, so I don't know what was going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2021 8:41 PM

Red squirrel? Very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2021 12:25 AM

Red dragon. Correct.

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2021 12:25 AM

She was picky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2021 6:48 PM

I love those last 3 shots, r73.

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2021 10:32 PM

OP are you Giselle Bundchen? TMZ has a clip of her with a baby squirrel she saved over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2021 11:46 PM

Peanut the squirrel was rehabbed, but couldn’t return to the wild. He lives with his very hunky “squirrel dad” and seem to be going live on TikTok more than anyone else I follow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 7, 2021 5:25 PM

I like a Chock Full o'Nuts guy, r79!

by Anonymousreply 80September 7, 2021 5:29 PM

Here’s Peanut the Squirrel and his hunky dad’s IG, this guy has to be gay, it’s all worked out bid, squirrel and cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 7, 2021 5:44 PM

^^^ bod

by Anonymousreply 82September 7, 2021 5:45 PM

More of Miss Squirrel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2021 5:13 PM

Laughin' and a-runnin', hey hey

Skippin' and a-jumpin'

In the misty mornin' fog

With our, our hearts a-thumpin'

And you,

my brown eyed squirrel 🐿.

Do you remember when we used to sing?

by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2021 5:41 PM

It was a bit heart breaking, a kind souled man on TikTok witnessed a baby rabbit hit a car that didn’t even stop to see what it was or the condition of what he hit. He took the rabbit to the vet and was caring for it and brought it home. Unfortunately a day or two later it died and he buried it in the backyard. That and the death of the beautiful five legged puppy last week had me totally wrecked on top of all the 9/11 stuff.

by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2021 5:50 PM

Not sure if I've posted these...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 21, 2021 7:05 PM

Miss Squirrel was clearly a sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 87October 13, 2021 2:00 PM

I think I have a squirrel living in my laundry room, or at least has visited. I have a shoebox with a bunch of old dishtowels to use as rags stored on a pretty high shelf. I took it down to get a rag and there were three acorns in it. I wasn't sure what to do so I left it alone and put it back on the shelf.

by Anonymousreply 88October 13, 2021 3:14 PM

R88, thanks for leaving it alone. That's kind of you.

by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote] baby squirrel in my yard

Mmm, squirrel tartare!

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2021 3:23 PM

I love Miss Squirrel r86!

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote] think I have a squirrel living in my laundry room, or at least has visited. I have a shoebox with a bunch of old dishtowels to use as rags stored on a pretty high shelf. I took it down to get a rag and there were three acorns in it. I wasn't sure what to do so I left it alone and put it back on the shelf.

Aren't you the least bit concerned with how they are getting in? Sounds like maybe a problem with the roof or chimney, or an opening around the foundation. I love squirrels, but you might not think it's so cute once they start leaving poops and pees everywhere and chew through the electrical wiring, not to mention all the food in your pantry..

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2021 1:54 AM

Sautée it in evoo, lemon, onions, and caper. Pair with a full-bodied chardonnay.

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2021 2:00 AM

^^ Well, sheeeeit! Ain't that all kinds of fancy? I usually fries it up in a mess o' possum grease and wash it down with some mah home-brewed rheumatiz' tonic! Good fer what ails ya, that's fer sure.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2021 2:10 AM

Squirrels are tree rats, but I hear they're good eating.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 6:36 AM

Squirrels are just rats with positive press.....

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2021 8:00 AM

Eat it OP.

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2021 8:39 AM

Update: My squirrel was released a few weeks ago. The person who took care of him was also rehabilitating 4 other squirrels. One of them didn't make it, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 98May 4, 2022 12:29 AM

OP I thought for sure the squirrel would die. Good for you, I'm not a fan of squirrels but I think that bought you some good karma for sure.

by Anonymousreply 99May 4, 2022 12:32 AM

Thanks for your nice comment, r99.

I've actually been having a very stressful year, but I hope things turn around.

by Anonymousreply 100May 4, 2022 12:34 AM

Cop Spots Baby Squirrels In Road And Ends Up Making Two Tiny New Friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 4, 2022 12:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 4, 2022 1:08 AM

I thought that video might end like this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2022 7:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!