Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theme from The Beyond (1981)

It's pretty amazing. I love some of these old soundtracks for retro horror movies. Do you have any favourites?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2021 10:45 AM

I have the soundtrack to Susperia by Goblin on vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2021 9:33 PM

While we're on the subject of late 70s/early 80s Italo horror, it's hard to beat this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2021 9:43 PM

I can;' link to it but check out the superb soundtrack for Tobe Hooper's "Lifeforce".

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2021 12:39 AM

I liked Lifeforce. The critics trashed it. At least Roger Ebert did.

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2021 1:06 AM

That one's so interesting R2, start off sounding romantic, but that electronic whistle is really unusual and unsettling.

I've not seen the movie, nor will I due to the real animal cruelty, but thank you for the opening titles, enjoyed listening to the track!

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2021 11:16 AM

Hey, it's Henry Mancini, R3! Thanks for sharing too. Another movie I've never seen, but not even heard of this one.

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2021 11:19 AM

The theme from ๐‹๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐œ๐ž (1985):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2021 3:42 PM

Fuck yes - awesome thread!

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2021 3:44 PM

Ah, I didn't notice this before posting R7, but that performance isn't the original - it's The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. The original was by the London Symphony Orchestra, and it's a bit harder to find online. Instances of it are just clips from the film.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2021 3:51 PM

Zombi. Awesome theme, awesome movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2021 4:14 PM

R9, the full vinyl version is available on YouTube - apologies for being unable to link, but if you search using that term it should come up. It's an absolute masterpiece, one of the composer's best.

The film is very weird, incoherent, ugly and yet one of my favorites - nearly unclassifiable, like an X-rated episode of Dr. Who. It pretty much ended the career of Tobe Hooper.

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2021 4:14 PM

R11, the US released vinyl version is also a re-performance, by the Varรจse Sarabande Symphony Orchestra in 1985. The score used in the film has evidently never been released here.

There's a few soundtrack releases that are like that, like the one for ๐‚๐š๐ง๐๐ฒ๐ฆ๐š๐ง (1992) by Philip Glass. It's not the performance used in the film.

It's possible that this French vinyl release is the original; I've been comparing it to captures of the film's opening and closing credits, and they sound the same to me. But it's possible I have a tin ear.

[quote]It pretty much ended the career of Tobe Hooper.

Elaborate, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2021 4:35 PM

R12, the film went severely over budget - was judged a drab, violent, off-putting clunky mess by the studio and was torn to bits in the editing room. It flopped even with an all-nude performance by Mathilda May, one of the loveliest femme fatales of film history. Hooper was already damaged by accusations that he had not finished directing Poltergeist. Between this film and his subsequent flop Invaders From Mars he failed to follow Sam Rami from the grindhouse to the multiplex.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2021 5:13 PM

I remember being so angry that the female vampire ran around buck naked and the two hunky male vampires didn't show anything.

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2021 5:15 PM

But I actually thought there were some pretty cool visuals, like the alien spacecraft hovering over London, and the chaos in the city with all the drained energy from each attack going into the sky.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2021 5:18 PM

Technically they were nude too but talk about Attack of the Strategically Placed Shadows.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2021 5:18 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant, r16. All three were naked when awakened, but of course only the chick shows anything. Boo!! Now they'd be naked but wearing prosthetic dongs, so I don't know if that counts as progress or not.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2021 5:20 PM

Fuck yes, R10, I [italic]love[/italic] the theme for Zombi 2! (and yes, I think it's definitely one of Fulci's better movies) He does some good tunes, Fabio Frizzi. His theme for City of the Living Dead is very similar:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2021 8:49 PM

I adore this one from Inferno, it's so dramatic, perhaps melodramatic even. In such a delightful way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2021 1:10 AM

What about this one?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 6, 2021 9:25 PM

I just saw this movie the other weekend, the theme gets stuck in my head.

I believe Tarantino was hoping to remake it at one point, and he did use this track in Kill Bill:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2021 8:37 PM

Wouldn't say it's a good one, more cheese-tastic! but:

"Par-A-Noia is coming your way!"

Makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2021 8:42 PM

Speaking of The Beyond, I love this version of the music from the (utterly ridiculous) spider scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2021 12:10 AM

And just in case anybody wants a serious laugh, here is the spider scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2021 12:12 AM

So is the spider scene really bad? I know it's above, and I've watched The Beyond, but I averted my eyes when it was happening. A lot of scenes in Fulci don't really look realistic, but they're still kinda gooey and goopy and gross. The noises are usually bad enough. I've never seen then tarantula scene in this film, the vomiting scene in City of the Living Dead, or the eye scene in Zombi 2 for example. On the other hand, I think I saw most of, if not all of The New York Ripper.

Eye trauma seems to really stress me out. Probably I just need to watch the tarantula scene and get it over with, and will find it's not so bad, but I sorta can't bring myself to yet.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2021 11:42 AM

To answer you r25 (come on, no other horror fans here?), it's a great idea for a scene but with really poor execution. I won't give too much away, but the decision to mix live spiders with obviously fake spiders completely breaks the suspension of disbelief. The scene is definitely "gooey and goopy and gross," so if that's a huge issue then I would avoid it. It just looks really stupid too.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2021 7:14 PM

Thanks R26. I'm sure when I do watch it, I will wonder what the fuss was about. Probably the idea of it is more horrifying to me at the moment. I did listen to them talking about it on Werewolf Ambulance, and they were having a good giggle at the noises the spiders were making, which did make me laugh. They also said the girl vomiting in City of the Living Dead was clearly a wooden head at some points, hehe.

[quote]come on, no other horror fans here?

Not to worry, I think there are quite a few, other threads seem to be pretty popular - perhaps we're just posting at off-peak times?

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2021 3:18 AM

One of the dude vampires in Lifeforce is Mick Jagger's brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2021 3:23 AM

I'm listening to the whole soundtrack of The Beyond currently, and it's very enjoyable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 10:57 AM

Here's the soundtrack to the film The House by the Cemetery:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 12:06 PM

I watched Manhattan Baby last night. That was a... weird one. And not that enjoyable, if I'm honest.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 8:48 PM

The last time I hosted a Halloween party, I just played this for music:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 8:54 PM

more Carpenter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 8:55 PM

That's a great idea for a party R32!

Oh, as this is a soundtrack thread, I should've added at R31 that it seemed like Manhattan Baby recycled its soundtrack in part from The Beyond. I kept thinking: "I've heard this track before!"

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 8:57 PM

This is the song that's playing on the cop's radio when he's guarding the yacht in Zombi 2 in the middle of the night. The ungrammatical lyrics make me giggle and please me too - very appropriate for this type of movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2021 12:11 PM

This is the track mention at R22, another Keith Emerson one from the movie Murderock (one I quite enjoyed, to be honest).

The words to this crack me up only because it seems like sometimes the lyrics are very clear and then she's going: "There's a chorsh az gorse like der a bor reh roh yeah!" in between. I swear one line is "Each and every night, inside a vol-au-vent..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2021 10:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!