Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rewatching Call Me By Your Name

Could 2 parents be more ecstatic about their teenaged son getting his back blown out. Its almost as if Elio's parents are pimping him out. Elio's mom spends her days chain smoking, entertaining and negotiating the sell of her son's wares. His father tells Elio how lucky he is to be young and desirable. Its wonderful that Oliver desires his twink body, specifically his virgin hole. He essentially tells Elio, get all the dick you can, while you can. Because eventually no one wants your body, but he's only a decade older than his son's lover. Is he speaking from experience or is he making a generalization?

It is a strange movie with awkwardly strange performances. 31 yr old Armie Hammer does not look like a 24 yr old. He looks older than his actual age. Timothy Chalamet looks younger than his actual age. It is a bizarre and awkward pairing.

Will Hollywood eventually pick it back up and recast for a sequel. Better yet, recast and reboot the first movie; then do a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 160October 22, 2021 10:05 PM

I looked it up OP, Michael Stuhlbarg is a full 18 years older than Armie Hammer. Elio was hardly fucking his father. I laughed at "getting his back blown out". I agree that Hammer looked too old and it would have been better with someone who actually looked 24. I think their relationship was believable though. The pretentious 17 year old hooks up with the smarmy and condescending older guy, I've definitely seen that pairing in real life.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2021 5:16 PM

I think CMBYN is a beautifully shot and crafted film, but yeah Hammer was too old for the part and it does give the film kind of creepy vibes particularly now with all the scandal around Armie.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2021 5:24 PM

This was a cold, unsettling movie about the seduction of a minor that critics were strong armed into viewing as a "love story". There was a negative review in the New Yorker that later got buried in favor a positive review in the same magazine. Nope. That ain't love. There are much better representations of gay relationships out there. This creepy schlock won't stand the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2021 5:26 PM

Hammer's casting is obviously Guadagnino's fault. I doubt James Ivory wanted him for the role.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2021 5:28 PM

I liked the movie, but yes, AH looked a good decade older than the character was supposed to be (24) and TC was a bit young and innocent for the 17-going-on-18 vibe.

People who suggest it's a movie that glorifies pedophilia are ludicrous. But casting someone else as Oliver might have made for a much better movie, and one that didn't trigger negative responses in so many.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2021 5:29 PM

r3 is James Woods

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2021 5:30 PM

The novel was a charming first love summer romance between a 16 yo and a 23 yo. The film do to the miscasting of Hammer was Lolita 2.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2021 5:32 PM

A beautiful film from first frame to the last will be rightfully considered a classic of this era. One of the best of all time.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 5:33 PM

Can't we just rejoice in having this film rather than tearing it down?

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2021 5:37 PM

OP shaddup.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2021 5:37 PM

CMBYN will be a small footnote in filmmaking history, and that will be due to the current scandal its co-star is drowning in. The movie was meh at best.

Every time I even think of this film, in light of the recent debauchery surrounding "Oliver", and the deliberate, pretentious gay-baiting he and his co-protagonist conducted for over a year during its promotion and award season, I cringe. I can't re-watch it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote]Hammer's casting is obviously Guadagnino's fault. I doubt James Ivory wanted him for the role.

He wanted Shia LaBeouf.

I know in the book Oliver was 24 but did the film ever state his age?

[quote]This was a cold, unsettling movie about the seduction of a minor that critics were strong armed into viewing as a "love story".

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2021 5:46 PM

It's hard for me to be objective about the film. My freshman year I fell hard for a supposedly straight yuppie jock type not unlike Oliver. Swoopy hair and everything.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2021 5:46 PM

This was grooming and Elio suffers from PTSD!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2021 5:50 PM

I too was a 17-18 year old that fell in love with a 24 year old. He kept telling me his cock was too large for me- but that only made me want it more.

I only took it once and he was right. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2021 5:52 PM

Mostly a sweet film but for the ‘dad had a male lover too’ BS.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote] A beautiful film from first frame to the last will be rightfully considered a classic of this era. One of the best of all time.

Beautiful cinematography, beautiful location. However, strip that away and you're left with just the miscasting and awkward performances in a strange movie. Add to that the personal drama of Hammer (pervert) and Chalamet (college campus STD spreader) and the me too era. Will it be considered a classic or something that Hollywood will bury and try to forget. Its certainly not of the best of any time. Perhaps it could have been a great film but its not.

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2021 6:05 PM

I saw it once and never need to see it again. Chalamet's surly, unexpressive face ruins it for me. I really don't like his gaunt, humorless presence in anything.

Were Hammer's dance sequences supposed to be charmingly dorky? Because if not they are unintentional camp. The director seemed unable to convey the point.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2021 6:07 PM

it's a pedo film hammer was miscast (looked 35 not 24)

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2021 6:16 PM

The fat, nellie prisspot brigade has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote] Were Hammer's dance sequences supposed to be charmingly dorky? Because if not they are unintentional camp. The director seemed unable to convey the point

I read an article or saw an interview where Armie says that he had a dance coach but decided to blow him off and do his own thing. Well, it shows. Esther Garrel had the 80s jigging down pat, though. She must've listened to the coach instead.

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2021 6:50 PM

The relationship within the text isn't too predatory (17 vs. 23) but Chalamet looks like a middle schooler while Hammer looks like a grown man. I guess it was a fetish thing for Luca, but if they had looked their actual ages there wouldn't be all this moral hand wringing.

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] The relationship within the text isn't too predatory (17 vs. 23) but Chalamet looks like a middle schooler while Hammer looks like a grown man. I guess it was a fetish thing for Luca, but if they had looked their actual ages there wouldn't be all this moral hand wringing.

When you hire an actor who looks 40 to play 20 and an actor who looks 12 to play 20. I can only assume that you want to highlight and exaggerate the age difference and make it a bigger part of the story.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2021 7:02 PM

^^ Agreed. Also, people are taking the movie's intended visual narrative, and applying the questionable morality to its real life characters. How does someone confuse the two so easily?

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2021 7:10 PM

I think it's a stretch to say Timmy looked like a 12 year old. Armie looked too old, let's not get carried away.

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2021 7:17 PM

This will always be the film linked to the Armie Hammer scandal, unfairly or not. If he ever ends up killing and eating someone, the news stories will use that still from the movie where he is towering over Chalamet in his swimsuit.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2021 7:18 PM

What amazes me most here is the lack of reaction from SJWs and so-called feminists about the love story being about a young teenager and an adult. It's funny that the Chalamet groupies, the same ones who lecture the whole world about things they don't know anything about, didn't take offense to this pedo relationship.

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote]It's funny that the Chalamet groupies, the same ones who lecture the whole world about things they don't know anything about, didn't take offense to this pedo relationship.

Maybe because it wasn't a "pedo relationship".

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote] getting his back blown out

Is that code for taking an 🍆in his 🍑?

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] Is that code for taking an 🍆in his 🍑?

Oliver was actually a trained chiropractor.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2021 7:39 PM

They never state their ages in the film (although it's mentioned in the book), So the miscast was done intentionally to drive home the age difference on screen. Hammer is too old looking while Chalamet is fresh faced. Even the size difference is intentional. Luca fired Shia because he looked to young and the relationship too normal. He wanted it to have a creep factor. There was no love story.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2021 7:41 PM

R28 Oh really? what is it then? I'm curious to read the contortions you take to justify this pedo relationship. In real life, Oliver would have been in trouble with the law. But I'm waiting for you to explain how this is a perfectly healthy relationship.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote] In real life, Oliver would have been in trouble with the law.

In real life, the age of consent in Italy is 14.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2021 7:53 PM

None of them are Italian...

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2021 7:55 PM

R33... With an exception clause allowing children aged 14 to have sex as long as the age difference between the two partners is less than three years!!!

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2021 7:58 PM

I LOATHED this film. Armie Hammer was terrible, as usual, and the director was a big cop out during the sex scenes. When Armie and Timmee are first hooking up, the camera pans away from them, moves out the window, and focuses on a tree in the backyard. Bad directing, unsubtle metaphor.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote] None of them are Italian...

But they fuck in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2021 8:07 PM

While many countries have age of consent 13 and up. It's usually only that way out of practicality that most teenagers will be sexually active. As opposed to the puritanical US. However, most countries make it clear that adults over the age of 18 can get punished for having sex with people under the age of 18 under certain circumstances. There are Romeo-and-Juliet style laws, like someone under the age of 16 can sleep with someone 13 or someone 19 can sleep with someone age 16. If you're a teacher or in position of authority that is a serious infraction too. In a country like Japan, most prefectures actually have the age of consent at 18 but allow someone under the age of 18 to sleep with someone 13 and up. So most countries do not approve of adults sleeping with teenagers. Also ironically, The US still allows child marriages with consent of parents. Some extremist Evangelical communities try to marry off their teenage offspring out of fears they will have premarital sex.

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote] However, most countries make it clear that adults over the age of 18 can get punished for having sex with people under the age of 18 under certain circumstances.

Yes, but none of those circumstances apply to Oliver and Elio.

[quote] There are Romeo-and-Juliet style laws, like someone under the age of 16 can sleep with someone 13 or someone 19 can sleep with someone age 16.

Yes, but that's not what Italy's age of consent at 14 is.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2021 8:16 PM

R39 Stop showing your pathetic stupidity. Even in Italy Oliver is not allowed to fuck Elio. Learn about Europe laws instead of spouting pure nonsense about pedos. It is written in the Italian law that the sexual consent is at 14 years old provided that the difference in age between the two partners is less than three years. Do the math and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2021 8:23 PM

The most definitive age of consent in Italy is actually 16. Because 16 and up, you can basically fuck whoever you want regardless of authority status.

by Anonymousreply 41September 1, 2021 8:23 PM

No, it's 14 years old. Not 16 R41

by Anonymousreply 42September 1, 2021 8:24 PM

I loved everything about this movie. Who on here hasn’t been seduced by an older guy. Or wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 43September 1, 2021 8:27 PM

R42

The age of consent in Italy is 14 years, with a close-in-age exception that allows those aged 13 to engage in sexual activity with partners who are under the age of 18, provided that the age gap between them is less than 3 years. The age of consent rises to 16 if one of the participants has some kind of influence on the other (e.g. teacher, tutor, adoptive parent, etc.). Not knowing that the victim is underage is not a legal defense, except when it was unavoidable ignorance. If the minor involved is under the age of 11, the crime can be punished even without a complaint and the punishment is aggravated. It is also illegal to perform sexual acts in the presence of a minor aged less than 14 with the intent of allowing the minor to witness the acts, even if they do not take an active part.[61]

See also related Wikisource articles from the Italian Criminal Code (in Italian). See also more related articles from Interpol.[62]

So basically no adult can get away with sleeping with someone below the age of 16. Age of consent at 14, means you can only sleep with other teenagers but not 20-somethings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2021 8:27 PM

ELIO WAS 17.

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2021 8:29 PM

I have no comment.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2021 8:33 PM

Hannibal Hammer was only hired because of his looks.

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2021 8:33 PM

An homage to the northern Italian countryside. 17 and 23 is no big deal, especially not between guys.

As for AH — I found him gorgeous back then.

by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2021 8:34 PM

R40

Maybe that's what they told you at your church ladies group in Montana to keep down your blood pressure, but it's not true - the close-in-age exception is for *13-year-olds*, not for 14-year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2021 8:34 PM

R44 And how is that different from what I'm saying? The age of sexual consent is 14 years, but only if the age difference is not more than three years. This means that a 14 year old can only have sex with another minor like him. Oliver is not a minor.

R48 Oliver is 24 yo

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2021 8:35 PM

R45 Yes. So he was legal in most of Europe and most states in The US. I do think that a 17 year old and someone in their early 20s is not really exploitation or pedophilia in any sense of the word. As most people in their late adolescence are usually mature enough to consent. Yeah, there may be regrets due to emotional immaturity but the power difference is not that high unless that 20-something was in a position of authority. But of course most parents would not comfortable with their high school aged child sleeping with a college student especially so if that child was a girl. That's a valid concern, not overparenting.

by Anonymousreply 51September 1, 2021 8:36 PM

R49 I'm not an American and it's 14 yo, not 13 yo. I am a man not a woman; Jeez what a stupid asshole

by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote] So basically no adult can get away with sleeping with someone below the age of 16.

Reread the first sentence of *your own quote* to disprove this. (I like how Americans lose all reading comprehension when confronted with European age of consent laws - interesting psychological self-defense mechanism.)

by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2021 8:39 PM

R50 No, I agree. I was just saying the age of consent at 14 in Italy was not set up that anyone can just go ahead and sleep with any 14-year-old they see. Elio is over 16, so he can fuck whoever he wants because 16 is really the definitive age of consent. Germany is actually the country where the age of consent is 14 with little strings attached.

by Anonymousreply 54September 1, 2021 8:40 PM

Is Chalamet still friends with the human being-eater? Is the PR romance over?

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2021 8:41 PM

James Ivory didn't like the casting because both actors refused to show dick and he wanted that in the film. (I don't know why he didn't direct it himself.)

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2021 8:42 PM

R52

Please reread this sentence 10 times until you can finally grasp its meaning.

[quote] The age of consent in Italy is 14 years, with a close-in-age exception that allows those aged 13 to engage in sexual activity with partners who are under the age of 18, provided that the age gap between them is less than 3 years

by Anonymousreply 57September 1, 2021 8:43 PM

I don't follow any of this.

by Anonymousreply 58September 1, 2021 8:44 PM

Why is the whole movie free on Xhamster- with subtitles? Do the producers feel it's already made any money it will ever make, so who cares?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2021 8:45 PM

Elio would be legal in most US states. Age of consent at 16 makes the most sense as most people can also drive and work jobs at 16 and it's near the end of puberty. Most Americans would agree that's reasonable. Ages 13 or 14 being the age of consent applies to having sex with other people under the age of 18. So for most of the world, the age of consent is really between 16 to 18. So I don't agree with other posters that say it's a pedo or predatory relationship but I also don't agree with posters who are lying and saying the age of consent in Italy is only 14 when it's really 16 as per most of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2021 8:54 PM

[quote] but I also don't agree with posters who are lying and saying the age of consent in Italy is only 14 when it's really 16 as per most of Europe.

Not again...

I just don't understand why this sentence seems to be impossible to parse for everyone on this thread:

[quote] The age of consent in Italy is 14 years, with a close-in-age exception that allows those aged 13 to engage in sexual activity with partners who are under the age of 18, provided that the age gap between them is less than 3 years

13-year-old = can only fuck those up to 15 years old

14-year-old = can fuck anyone (provided they're not in a position of authority)

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2021 9:04 PM

I'm pretty sure most people look down on any adult sleeping a 14-year-old and most parents would make sure to ruin that person's life. If the 14-year-old claimed they were raped. Who would people side with? I doubt it is someone many older people would try

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2021 9:08 PM

The only acting I saw Timmy do was in the last 60 seconds but then maybe it was just the fireplace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote]They never state their ages in the film

No, but Oliver is a grad student, so I think early 20's is implied.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2021 1:01 AM

R55: I said I don't know him!

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2021 1:25 AM

I loved this film when it came out. I'll admit I got swept up in all the hype and "fangirling." I watched the movie for the first time in a couple years, back when the pandemic started and I just didn't land as well with me. I think it's one of those movies that cause a ripple when it's first released and then when the hype wears off you're kind of like "meh"

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2021 4:22 AM

R66 It's boring. No real sex except with the girl and the peach. Armie is like a block of wood except when he's giving off pedo vibes and constipation face.

But Timmy looks fuckable and it's in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2021 7:33 AM

Armie Hammer was never a good actor. He ruined Call me by your name and everything he's ever shot.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2021 8:31 AM

The politics of the film were strange at times, but the story seems to exist in a place removed from most social norms where time seems to have stopped. It's a sweet story and while Hammer didn't look anywhere near 24 years of age, the movie still seemed to work for me. He was just a young professional closet-case with an arrested development matched with a teenager with overly supportive (and eager) progressive parents who may see this at an opportunity to experience something he may never get to as an adult (under their "protective" watch). The fact that it was set in 1983 is not by accident.

I grew up in the 1980s and never had my own love story from my youth, so the movie kind of acts as a substitute, I suppose. I got to imagine what that might have been like, even for just two hours. I saw it twice. Once at a film festival and once when it officially came out. I haven't seen it since. I'm not sure I could now with all the press about Hammer. Shame about that.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2021 9:18 AM

Neither of them bothered to show cock or ass (properly) so they can just bugger off!

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2021 10:58 AM

[quote]...their teenaged son getting his back blown out.

Elio was the top.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2021 11:03 AM

I loved this movie when it came out but am afraid to rewatch it fearing it won't age well and I'll agree with OP. Just thinking back on some of the scenes makes me cringe, though they didn't bother me at the time.

by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2021 11:36 AM

R70: For the life of me I don’t understand why they showed Timmy’s ugly butt up close but barely showed Armie’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2021 11:53 AM

DL is unmatched in its ability to completely derail a topic. I love it (kind of!)

[quote] Can't we just rejoice in having this film rather than tearing it down?

Well, see, there are these things called ‘opinions,’ and we’re on a message board where people express such ‘opinions.’ If you’re too delicate for such give-and-take, you may be in the wrong place.

[quote] Mostly a sweet film but for the ‘dad had a male lover too’ BS

I thought the movie was too long, too slow, and too little happening to justify its length, but the ending made it worthwhile. I could see someone who’s stayed closeted not wanting his son to make the same mistake.

by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2021 12:26 PM

Love Simon was much better… CMBYN had the trappings of an arty film, without any of the substance.

by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2021 1:05 PM

R75: I agree it’s definitely the superior film and for the life of me I don’t understand why Nick Robinson isn’t getting better parts. Way more talented and attractive than TimoTay.

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2021 1:10 PM

Did Nick Robinson show his cock or ass?

Eluo's ass was flat and unappealing. Armie's I don't even remember.

I did like the music though

by Anonymousreply 77September 2, 2021 1:28 PM

Love Simon was a liberal fantasy for teenagers and white moms. Zero substance with nothing to say but “gay is ok.”

by Anonymousreply 78September 2, 2021 2:25 PM

R77: He showed his ass in Being Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 79September 2, 2021 2:26 PM

Don't understand the raves about Guadagnino's direction and expert cinematography. During pivotal emotional scenes the audience is looking at long shots of top of his actors heads. He favors horribly composed long shots with left us trying to peer around fountains to see the characters. It's as visually moving as a podcast. Mundane shots are held forever. We watch two bicycles being pedaled down a dull landscape for what seems to be an eternity. Someone shouted CUT! at our screening. The post coital bedroom scene where the films signature line "Call me buy your name" is said is filmed UPSIDE DOWN. You are constantly aware of his camera. Tres avant garde. As shot CBM reminded me of all those de rigueur tricks of awful student films I had to sit through in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 80September 2, 2021 5:54 PM

It isn't a proper gay movie IMO without cock shots and sex scenes.

by Anonymousreply 81September 2, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote] I think their relationship was believable though. The pretentious 17 year old hooks up with the smarmy and condescending older guy, I've definitely seen that pairing in real life.

Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black.

[quote] Eluo's ass was flat

Good for a deep dicking!

by Anonymousreply 82September 2, 2021 6:11 PM

R80

Tu sei un coglione.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2021 7:48 PM

The HimEros version with porn stars Tom Bentley & Adam Ramzi is better.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2021 8:07 PM

I’ve never seen it OP but I enjoyed your description.

by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2021 8:13 PM

It's a sexy and worthwhile book, but the movie will be deemed "problematic" in only a few more years. The only reason it hasn't already been cancelled is because it's about gay homo love, instead of a girl and her older boyfriend.

Witness 1996's "Beautiful Girls," where I played a nice guy in his 30s who is captivated by a wise teenaged girl next door. I never touched her or had any sexual attraction to her. It was not at all a story about pedophilia or urges. And yet the movie is now considered problematic because it makes today's audiences uncomfortable that a man and a teenaged girl would talk to each other without a chaperone and a glass wall between them. The audience assumes all interactions are exploitative or abusive, and that everyone is either a rapist or a rape victim. Shame. I did some great work in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2021 8:18 PM

The father was utterly repellent to me. He lived his adolescent gay fantasies vicariously through his vulnerable son.

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2021 8:22 PM

I remember there was a lot of praise for how beautiful the dads speech was at the time but I just imagined how horrified I would have been if after my first breakup and I was moping round the place my dad had sat down next to me and told me how much dick he got when he was younger. That's horrifying. Not comforting.

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2021 8:28 PM

And based on the sequel to CMBYN, r88, it wasn't even true.

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2021 8:32 PM

Tim R86, are you telling the whole story?

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2021 10:51 PM

R77: The coward could only show the side of his ass in A Teacher.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2021 10:58 PM

And they give ME shit about “Manhattan”!

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2021 11:02 PM

R92 That's not why they're mad at you, Woody.

It's because you haven't had a decent hit since "Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Also that whole kid-fucking thing, which is almost as unforgivable as marrying that asshole Mia Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2021 11:36 PM

The DL threads about this movie destroyed any desire I had to see it, well before the movie actually came out. This thread is a nice reminder that I still do not wish to watch it. It seems to make people insane.

by Anonymousreply 94September 18, 2021 12:52 AM

I loved it, r94. I've seen it three times.

by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2021 12:54 AM

I watch it pretty much every night and fall asleep to it.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2021 1:30 AM

r96 I'd been wondering what Armie had been up to in rehab.

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2021 1:49 AM

Great song, maybe my favorite ever nominated for an Oscar, but the film was odd. Hardly a big love story, just two guys jerking off between women. They barely seemed even to like each other for most of the film.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2021 1:54 AM

CMBYN should be celebrated for being responsible for one of Hollywood's greatest power couples: Timmy and Armie. Their love wouldn't have been possible without this movie. When they announce their marriage later this year, from the set of the CMBYN sequel! (reportedly starring Armie, Timmy and Jack Dylan Grazer!!) there won't be anything stopping them!!!

by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2021 2:14 AM

[quote] I just imagined how horrified I would have been if after my first breakup and I was moping round the place my dad had sat down next to me and told me how much dick he got when he was younger

Rofl! I'm watching this scene for the first time, and you're right!

There's a serious yuck factor about the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 100September 19, 2021 6:35 AM

Am I the only one who was totally and completely bored by this movie?

It took me almost a month to get through the whole thing, and I still haven't finished it yet. I'm 2 hrs into a 2 hr 12 minute movie.

I had to stop and start and stop and start and stop and start, because it was like torture.

Brokeback Mountain was a FAR SUPERIOR gay-themed movie.

by Anonymousreply 101September 19, 2021 6:37 AM

Oh, and the father is also creepy.

I almost get the vibe like he jerks off to the thought of Oliver and Elio having sex.

Maybe even watches and/or listens outside the door.

And what's with the creepy old house?

Paint peeling off the walls, weeds growing everywhere, and everything looks really run down. Not a very sexy vibe.

by Anonymousreply 102September 19, 2021 6:40 AM

A beautiful bore!

by Anonymousreply 103September 19, 2021 6:48 AM

Whew! Finally finished it.

I must say, Timothee looked gorgeous in that ending scene by the fire.

Absolutely gorgeous.

It bums me out to think that he's a walking STD (according to Datalounge rumors about him).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 19, 2021 6:55 AM

R102 exactly and also the town looked dead. It looked like there was nothing to do in that place. Would have been a holiday nightmare for me.

by Anonymousreply 105September 19, 2021 6:59 AM

This film doesn't stand up to a 2nd viewing. I liked it well enough the 1st time but once you've seen it, all the air goes out of it and it's just two guys riding around on bikes. And casting a Ken Doll as the object of desire really limits the scope of the story.

by Anonymousreply 106September 19, 2021 7:05 AM

A lot of the comments above echo a lot of the sentiments you find on right-wing boards, especially about a film like this. Weird...but I guess that's Datalounge now.

by Anonymousreply 107September 19, 2021 7:08 AM

I was hoping it would be far more pornographic. Instead I got an arthouse foreign film with two boys who aren't gay (although one apparently wishes he were, Franco-style), and who surely both end up married to women in the end. What a waste.

by Anonymousreply 108September 19, 2021 7:10 AM

I absolutely loved the film, still do, and I think it will hold up very well. Beautifully shot, acted, written, and directed. And yes, a far better gay film than Brokeback ever was. (Not to mention a breath of fresh air considering what most of Hollywood is making these days.)

by Anonymousreply 109September 19, 2021 7:11 AM

I didn’t like this movie.

It felt like a chick flick and didn’t move me. I found it to be some bullshit.

Maybe cause I’ve been burned by too many straight-identifying / bisexual men in abusive and toxic relationships.

They were so in love and yet I never saw the build up of it. I just didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 110September 19, 2021 7:13 AM

Any Eldergays on here remember what gay movies were like in the 90s?

DEATH! DEATH ALL AROUND US!

Philadelphia, Jeffrey, Thelma & Louise, It's My Party, The Silence of the Lambs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 111September 19, 2021 7:14 AM

R109 I disagree with that.

Brokeback Mountain has its flaws but the story felt way more real to me than Call Me By Your Name, which felt like a virgin wrote it and hadn’t experienced what being in a gay relationship was like.

Brokeback moved me, there’s scenes in there that are totally relatable. The scene where they basically get fired and kick off the mountain the first time, Heath is quiet and Jake starts teasing him with the rope and Heath gets mad and they start fighting and Jake punches him in the face, then feels bad and starts comforting him. It was such a great example of 2 men in a relationship. A great example of how men have a hard time expressing their emotions to another person. There’s no woman around to “talk it out”.

Call Me By Your Name had none of that, it was just fantasy. I understand it’s fiction and suspension of disbelief but I just couldn’t stop rolling my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 112September 19, 2021 7:19 AM

R111 yeah but there was The Birdcage and In & Out and a lot of gay British shit.

by Anonymousreply 113September 19, 2021 7:21 AM

R111, Silence of the Lambs is NOT a gay movie.

Don't even go there.

by Anonymousreply 114September 19, 2021 7:24 AM

I predict a porno version with Joey Mills as Elio. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 115September 19, 2021 7:49 AM

R114 I dunno, Jodie Foster was/is pretty gay...

by Anonymousreply 116September 19, 2021 8:05 AM

That struck me too, R112. It is a gay fairy tale. I simply cannot imagine parents reacting that way, especially the father. There is currently a thread on how people's dads reacted to their coming out. While some people had kind supportive fathers, no one has described a scene anything like the one depicted in this movie. It's sheer fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 117September 19, 2021 8:27 AM

R111, since when is Silence of The Lambs a gay movie? And, btw, as the '80s proved, gay people are as susceptible to death as the rest of us. Have you ever read Tolstoy?

by Anonymousreply 118September 19, 2021 9:01 AM

I had a pretty intense crush on the father. Not only was he very hot and an attentive father, but he basically endorsed his son getting dicked hard up and down the Italian countryside.

He's the daddy we all deserve.

by Anonymousreply 119September 19, 2021 9:10 AM

I missed a bit of the start when this was on TV in Australia. Didn’t really want to see it but there’d been a lot of hype in the gay press. I thought it was a contemporary film and didn’t understand the hesitation going on between the two leads. Then I looked up IMBD – it’s the 1980’s – okay, they’re closeted, I get it now. But the film really fails in that regard; except for the Talking Heads t-shirt and the adults smoking at the dinner table there’s really nothing to stamp this as being set four decades ago. Even that song they dance to… was that an 80’s hit? I’m not familiar with it. Pity they couldn’t have used one of Madge’s songs from that era: Like a Virgin? Papa Don’t Preach?

The only thing I liked was the twist – Dad’s admission – because I didn’t see it coming. Good writing in that respect but not deserving of the Oscar it got.

by Anonymousreply 120September 19, 2021 9:17 AM

R112 well, I disagree.

Brokeback has some great moments, but all those little things that work for you do nothing for me. If anything, I rolled my eyes at some of those moments. And plenty of folks have called out things about that film for years too. So, they get both get flack. But that also might be reflective of the how each film affects different demographics, and what each relates to.

As for comparing the stories though, that seems likes apples and oranges. They're just so completely different, conveying completely different experiences, within completely different contexts and time periods.

R117 Maybe it is a bit fantasy, but there's plenty of parents now who are much more open-minded and accepting than what many at a board like DL (with it's particular demographic) are used to seeing.

by Anonymousreply 121September 19, 2021 9:19 AM

Summer of 85 is much better.

by Anonymousreply 122September 19, 2021 9:26 AM

Didn't care for it. Hammer is dead behind the eyes. So much that it was distracting. I felt like his character was a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 123September 19, 2021 9:42 AM

I found the movie to be perverted. In real life many prosecutors would love to arrest Oliver and put him on a lifetime sex offenders registry, after he served prison time. Nothing romantic about predators going after a teenager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 19, 2021 11:04 AM

I thought the dad was creepy, too. I was a little shocked that he basically told the kid to go for it, right under his own nose. And the mother didn’t give a shit, either. And I only saw it once, but at the end, it felt like they didn’t have any sensitivity to Elio and how he’d feel about the betrayal of Oliver marrying a woman. They’re all “isn’t that wonderful?!” Did they not realize their son was in love, and not just sexually experimenting? I thought the parents were awful characters.

The fact that the father gave Elio that lecture means that he was just as nosy and creepy about his child’s sexuality life as the purity-ball types.

by Anonymousreply 125September 19, 2021 11:28 AM

Summer of 85 is awful r122 it doesn’t compare at all. I can’t get over how awful that one was from the English gitl with that terrible accent and the stupid homage to Pedro Almodóvar and the awful dancing on the grave.

by Anonymousreply 126September 19, 2021 11:31 AM

When I read the book I understood the parents to be the kind of left-wing European intellectuals you would have found at European universities in the 80s, the type of people who occupied the Sorbonne in 1968 and voted Communist. So their bohemian reaction to their son’s affair made sense to me. It loses that reference with the casting of American Michael Stuhlberg for the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 19, 2021 11:38 AM

Also to correct OP, Armie Hammer was 29 when he shot his. He does indeed look 35.

by Anonymousreply 128September 19, 2021 11:44 AM

[quote] – it’s the 1980’s

One of the oddest choices made by the film (and book I guess) was that the story is set in rural Catholic Italy in the 80s and everyone was completely fine with a rich Jewish family and their guest from America moving in and openly fucking the local girls and each other. I'm not even sure that wouldn't lead to some hostility if the story had been set now, never mind 4 decades ago.

And I'd be fine with the "its just fantasy" argument if it wasn't for the fact that a big part of the stories resolution is due to how Oliver ultimately gives into what society and his family expects and gets engaged to a girl and this is from his peers of rich Jews and WASPs. So what is this weirdly liberal Italian commune that also still has icons of Mussolini around the place that no one bothered to take down?

by Anonymousreply 129September 19, 2021 12:05 PM

As to why Armie Hammer was cast, Luca Guadagnino had had his eye on him for some time (I believe he first met with him after the Social Network) and wanted to make a movie with him. Armie Hammer has very weird father issues (I think his own dad diddled him tbh, the Hammer family is rife with sex abuse) and responded to Luca’s professional (and possibly unprofessional) overtures.

The relationship between Hammer and Guadagnino was close enough that Hammer actually brought his mistress (who would later accuse of him rape) “House of Effie” to meet Guadagnino in Crema and confided in him about their sadomasochistic relationship. I believe Guadagnino learned about the extant of Hammer’s perversions from talking to the mistress and responded by deciding to make a movie about being in love with a cannibal, “Bones and All.” This movie was announced right after the scandal broke in January so it had been in the works for some time; Chalamet and Stuhlberg’s involvement further signifies this was done as an FU to Armie Hammer, with all of them having been enlightened of Hammer’s cannibalism fetish.

by Anonymousreply 130September 19, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote] Also to correct OP, Armie Hammer was 29 when he shot his. He does indeed look 35.

Hammer was a couple of months away from turning 30.

by Anonymousreply 131September 19, 2021 3:13 PM

R107 All films where two dudes kiss are FUCKIN WORKS OF ART and don't you forget it.

by Anonymousreply 132September 19, 2021 3:31 PM

R126, a lot of Summer of '85 was boring, but all of the scenes between David and Alex are riveting and the coastal Normandy scenery is gorgeous. Definitely worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 133September 19, 2021 4:04 PM

agree that the biggest mistake was moving the setting from the Riviera to bumfuck Lombardy. An Italian beach town in the summer is alive and hopping with testosterone where everyone is looking for excitement and sex. But Luca wanted to use the old house and setting which could not have been more different from the heat and sensual ambiance described in the book

by Anonymousreply 134September 19, 2021 4:17 PM

Guadagnino would still have chosen Hammer for the role of Oliver, he had followed him since "The Social Network" and I think he has always been attracted, from various points of view, to him. I also knew that Hammer introduced him to his lover Effie and that he confided to him about his relationship with her. It has even been discussed that it would be Luca who encouraged him to explore his "dark" side dedicated to BDSM, but this is just gossip. It wouldn't surprise me that "Bones and All" itself could be seen as a homage to Hammer's current controversies; this would also explain Elizabeth Chambers' acrimonious "I have no words" comment on the announcement of the film's project.

by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2021 4:32 PM

Especially since it was set in the 80s, I would have preferred the father talk about love but also how the boy should be careful with his precious body -- not get lots of dick before he loses his looks. Weird message for a father to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2021 5:05 PM

Summer of 85 is also based on a literary work, which was ground breaking in its day having a positive portrayal of homosexual for a children’s/young adult book. It is also the second book in a cycle of six. It’s original title is Dance on My Grave and is a heartbreaking read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2021 7:40 PM

Lmao Luca gave an interview and basically said Armie Hammer is so horrible as an actor that Luca has to show him a clip of Debra Winger

by Anonymousreply 138October 18, 2021 2:01 PM

When I saw Summer of 85 I thought Ozon had made an autobiographical picture. But when the credits rolled I saw that it was based on a novel.

I thought Call My By Your Name was great on my first viewing. Re-watching it a couple of years later I was fall less impressed, particularly with TC. Sometimes a third viewing throws a film back into a better light though.

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2021 9:35 AM

I think timathy looked 28 in the movie and armand 34

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2021 9:41 AM

I really liked this movie, but I think it’s obvious that it’s going to age terribly.

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2021 9:50 AM

Still perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2021 10:09 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2021 10:10 AM

Sufjan Stevens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2021 10:12 AM

r73 Armie probably didn't want to show his ass.

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2021 12:33 PM

R145: That shot at the end when he’s on the balcony. He’s naked but it’s so dark and blurry that you can’t even see his ass. It’s like he was rubbing it in our faces. Does anyone have a link to the clearer version of that image?

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2021 12:41 PM

I'm curious to rewatch after reading this thread.

Also, it was well before the Armie scandal that I saw it last. I wonder how that will affect the viewing.

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2021 12:53 PM

[quote] Am I the only one who was totally and completely bored by this movie?

No! The movie was AT LEAST thirty minutes too long: all those slow, lingering shots? Totally self-indulgent, and i was bored shitless through most of it.

[quote] I simply cannot imagine parents reacting that way, especially the father. There is currently a thread on how people's dads reacted to their coming out. While some people had kind supportive fathers, no one has described a scene anything like the one depicted in this movie

I thought dad was gay and closeted, and didn’t want his son making the same mistake? Did i misread it? (I may have been comatose, considering how bored i was for most of the movie!)

[quote] Hardly a big love story, just two guys jerking off between women. They barely seemed even to like each other for most of the film.

Tim’s character didn’t seem into that girl AT ALL! I remember wondering why he was wasting her time when he clearly knew what he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 148October 20, 2021 8:26 PM

His back blown out? It looks like all they really did was soul kiss a few times. This and [italic]Moonlight[/italic] are two of the most sexless LGBT films ever made in the millennium. Some great performances but not acknowledgement of the characters as sexual beings.

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2021 8:31 PM

[quote] His back blown out? It looks like all they really did was soul kiss a few times. This and Moonlight are two of the most sexless LGBT films ever made in the millennium. Some great performances but not acknowledgement of the characters as sexual beings.

I think deep kissing is WAY more intimate than fucking like barnyard animals, and far more indicative of the character’s sexuality. A straight guy might conceivably fuck any hole, but kissing? THAT’S gay!!!

by Anonymousreply 150October 22, 2021 3:23 AM

Timmy on the cover of TIME this week. A star is a star is a star.

by Anonymousreply 151October 22, 2021 3:48 AM

Cue something from Armie then. Where’s my TIME cover? Remember me? I was the other guy!

by Anonymousreply 152October 22, 2021 4:03 AM

I forgot Armie played Clyde Tolson in J EDGAR - it was weird to see him and Leo in those sort of romantic scenes - I kept thinking he might take a bite out of Leo.

by Anonymousreply 153October 22, 2021 2:49 PM

R151: How much did Warner pay for that puff piece?

by Anonymousreply 154October 22, 2021 2:51 PM

[quote]How much did Warner pay for that puff piece?

Is it still Time-Warner?

by Anonymousreply 155October 22, 2021 3:04 PM

No. Time was spun off years ago.

by Anonymousreply 156October 22, 2021 3:35 PM

Bitch stole my look!

by Anonymousreply 157October 22, 2021 3:46 PM

I read the book and was repulsed by the scene where they both take a shite in front of each other and then look down the toilet. Did this writer think that was romantic?

by Anonymousreply 158October 22, 2021 3:54 PM

There are a few notable instances of the characters expunging body fluids (other than semen) in the novel - shit, vomit, blood, etc.... which I figured was a way to dance around the elephant in the room (the AIDS epidemic) given the novel's time and setting.

by Anonymousreply 159October 22, 2021 5:14 PM

R159 Very clever of you.

The novel happens in 1988 and not in 1983 like the film.

by Anonymousreply 160October 22, 2021 10:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!