Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Evelyn “Champagne” King?

I thought she was dead but I just checked and she’s still alive (and only 61! I thought she was older) but you never ever hear about her anymore.

Supposedly she still sings but she hasn’t made music in years etc.

WTF happened? My stepdad used to play her all the time (maybe he still does, I haven’t asked). He introduced me to so many artists when I was a kid in the 90s.

I always loved “Love Come Down”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 1:20 AM

I liked a few of her songs.

OP, look for one of the Miguel Migs albums. He had a few albums with different vocalists including Me'shell Ndegeocello, and I know Evelyn was on one of those records.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2021 3:10 AM

She also sings on (her husband) Freddie Fox's album "Feelin' It." The song is "So Much Love."

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2021 3:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2021 6:40 PM

This song was the SHIT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2021 6:42 PM

Way back in the day (mid/late 80s) she pulled a "don't you know who I AM?" on a friend. IIRC, it was at Tower Records in WeHo. She then said "I'm Evelyn CHAMPAGNE King!" He just shook his head and said, "Sorry, lady, I've never heard of you."

I don't recall the entire context of the encounter, but I always thought it was a funny story. It seems like the minor celebs are usually the ones who pull this kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2021 6:58 PM

R5 tel me about it

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2021 7:01 PM

About 10 minutes in, you get a little bit of her singing "I'm in Love". She still sounds pretty good. I have no idea about any new music, but shes not dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2021 7:23 PM

She’s 61? Ay dios mio!

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 7:36 PM

Evelyn and Stephanie Mills.

Beautiful voice and when it came to their faces.....well, they had beautiful, beautiful voices!

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2021 12:42 PM

I love her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 12:02 AM

I love her "Get Loose" album. It was mostly done with Kashif, who went on to work on Whitney Houston's debut album. I'd take "Get Loose" over any of Whitney's albums. King's "The Girl Next Door" album is also better than Whitney's third album. They were released within a year of each other. I think Leon Sylvers did most of the "Girl Next Door" album.

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 12:11 AM

I remember she had a bad fall onstage a few years ago. Evidently she recovered. She sang with Martha Wash and Linda Clifford as The First Ladies of Disco for a while. She's back to doing her own gigs, it seems. Norma Jean Wright of Chic has taken Evelyn's place in that trio.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2022 12:12 AM

I loved this song—one of the first 45s I ever bought on my own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2022 12:31 AM

She married "Malt Liquor" McQueen and they lived happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2022 12:42 AM

Well whatever happened to her, it's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2022 12:44 AM

A performance from 2019 of "Back to Love." I love how black artists past their commercial prime will still have top notch musical accompaniment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2022 12:50 AM

Evelyn “Champagne” King, was the subject of an episode of, "Unsung" on the US, TVOne network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2022 1:02 AM

"Shame" was my Studio 54 jam. Heaven. Evelyn "Champagne" Kween.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 1:11 AM

Apparently she let the smooth taste fool her!

By the way, the "ruby slippers" and heel-clicks in the commercial were a nod to King's at-the-time starring role in the stage production of The Wiz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!