Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Naomi Watts ?

Why did her career go straight down the shitter ? was it the Diana movie ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2022 2:18 PM

To me, even if her career has flatlined, it doesn’t matter as she’s given two of the best performances committed to film: in both Mulholland Drive and 21 Gramns. I think she is a true beauty too.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2021 12:17 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2021 12:45 AM

She's done a lot of films and that series for Netflix that sucked, but none of it really made much of an impact. I just saw her newest film, Lakewood, is playing TIFF, as I was buying tickets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2021 12:53 AM

Last I saw her she was drowning in the Boxing Day tsunami. I fell asleep about then.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2021 12:56 AM

I never felt she was good as Diane in MD, whereas she was fantastic as Betty. I watched the movie again last month, and she's not good in one scene only, and that's the most important, the ordering of the hit at the dinner. She fucked that scene up, and it's a shame, because she's otherwise splendid in the movie

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2021 12:57 AM

She’s over 40. Done. Why should we look at that anymore?

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2021 1:07 AM

R6, hates all females

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2021 1:12 AM

She has terrible taste when it comes to picking projects. That Netflix series was such a terrible choice.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 1:14 AM

I loved her in “ The Ring “

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2021 1:17 AM

She hurt her body doing stunts in King Kong and The Impossible. She may have real issues and not be able to work. I always liked her.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote] She has terrible taste when it comes to picking projects.

but she has terrific taste when it comes to picking men

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2021 1:22 AM

Funny how many current big name actresses are from Australia. I find most of them highly overrated. Watts is not terrible but she has a presence that is too passive and almost narcoleptic to be memorable. Nicole Kidman is too icy to warm to. Fantastic at playing cold but can never project warmth believably. Rose Byrne is another popular Australian actress but I find her to be too old school bland. Like the doe eyed 60s or 70s actresses who never seemed to have much spunk or personality. Toni Collette is marvelous however.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2021 1:29 AM

I love Naomi but she looks terrible for her age.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2021 2:00 AM

I'm pretty sure she lies about her age

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2021 2:01 AM

Yeah she doesn’t get the best projects. I don’t think she ever really had a big breakout.

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2021 2:04 AM

she was everywhere for a while, nominated for the AA every other year. Then the bubble burst

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2021 2:06 AM

Was she a Harvey girl and therefore tainted?

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2021 3:04 AM

I feel sorry for her. Her past several roles have been absolute shit. The one bright spot was getting cast in a Game of Thrones spin-off series, but that was scrapped after a few episodes had already been shot.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2021 3:07 AM

She’s talented.

Some actors choose roles that may or may not resonate with their abilities: they may wish to “stretch” themselves and test their limits. I sense Naomi is such an actor.

(Other actors have an uncanny ability to ferret out characters that they can inhabit and become consistently remarkable.)

Naomi has been hit and miss at times; but do believe she is part of the former group rather than the latter.

She seems capable of iconic, noteworthy roles. The question at this time seems to be one of circumstance (i.e. cancelled GOT prequel/pandemic) and her personal preference(s). Her personal situation has changed (single Mum, no LS....is she now with the questionable actor that left his baby mama for Claire Danes?)

Her current lull may be multifactorial.

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2021 5:48 AM

Didn’t she already beat the odds by becoming an in demand actress past the age one usually does. She became rather ubiquitous and seemed to be in everything for a while. I do t really have an opinion about her either way. She’s fine but like Maria Bello, she’s rather forgettable. The “Diana” movie was embarrassing though, no idea what she or anyone involved was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2021 5:51 AM

[quote] Didn’t she already beat the odds by becoming an in demand actress past the age one usually does.

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2021 5:54 AM

46? She’s like 54… she’s done some awful movies and looks like she takes bad jobs for money. Has been good a few times but bad more than that. Also doesn’t have a good personality or something. Somethings wrong with her..

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2021 5:55 AM

She looks fine for being in her 50s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2021 6:06 AM

What R1 said, it's an absolute crime that she wasn't Oscar nominated for Mulholland Drive. Her audition scene will go down as one of the finest acting moments of the 21st century. I wish I could link to it but it was removed from YouTube. This videos discusses it though and you can see parts of it in it.

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2021 6:13 AM

I really liked the brief Gypsy series on Netflix. I wish it had been renewed.

She’s a great actress. Like her friend Nic, she doesn’t eat. She did a great job in that bird movie where she plays a paralyzed person. In my experience I think her bulimia shows around her mouth. But I think she’s still pretty. I prefer this to plastic surgery and fillers Nic.

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2021 6:19 AM

Oops I didn't link the video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2021 6:20 AM

Just because someone is a well known name in Hollywood doesn't mean that every single thing they star or appear in is going to be a critical and commercial success, gross over half a billion dollars and win 10 Academy Awards.

No-one has a career like that. Everyone goes through a few flops or a string of flops in their career every now and then.

Mulholland Drive is a fucking masterpiece. I've seen it 5 times. It's one of my favorite David Lynch movies alongside (the extended fan versions) of Fire Walk with Me and Blue Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2021 6:48 AM

I could have performed that scene with Chad Everett.

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2021 6:50 AM

She was marketed early on as being Kidman's BFF...they would be pictured together in magazines, etc. Quite frankly, I think enough people didn't like Kidman that they never gave Naomi a chance. I include myself in that statement.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2021 7:14 AM

I agree with you R1, I think she was phenomenal in both of those films, even if I didn't particularly like Mulholland overall.

I think she's one of the best actresses around, she's just got very poor judgement in the roles she picks, or she's just been unlucky.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2021 10:02 AM

I think it's quite telling her BFF turned mega-producer won't toss her an opportunity or two. Naomi would've been good in The Undoing or Nine Perfect Strangers. I wouldn't think she'd be THAT hard to cast in stuff.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2021 11:13 AM

Didn’t she break up with Liev?

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2021 12:05 PM

R32: I think Liev joined the Nanny Fucker club, so yes, she left him.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2021 12:44 PM

[quote]she left him.

R33 how many times do you have to star in a movie called "THE RING" and its sequels , for the message to be heard by your boyfriend ? What did I have to do ? scream MARRY ME, FUCKER ! in the middle of the Academy Awards ?

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2021 12:48 PM

These actresses play Diana at their peril. The new "Spencer" movie looks ridiculous with little short, mousy Kristen Stewart acting all emo.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2021 12:49 PM

The kiss of death was that interview, when she said she felt "Diana was approving " and she almost walked up to William at the Ivy to share the info

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2021 12:51 PM

[QUOTE] she was everywhere for a while, nominated for the AA every other year. Then the bubble burst

She’s been nominated twice, nine years apart. So…no.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2021 1:38 PM

Would some brilliant cineaste explain to me what is going on in Mulholland Drive? I want to like it but apparently I'm missing something.

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2021 4:02 PM

She's rumored to be icy and difficult to work with. She doesn't have Trisha Yearwood's warmth and likability.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2021 4:11 PM

R7 you don’t get sarcasm? You don’t know the harsh reality of aged actresses ? Even talented ones like Naomi Watts? This eludes you?

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2021 4:32 PM

Naomi and Trisha Yearwood are frequently up for the same parts. Trisha is usually offered the role because she's a great actor and fun to work with but declines due to other commitments. However, Trisha was recently cast in a three picture horror trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 41September 1, 2021 4:37 PM

R38: Without saying too much....

SPOILER ALERT

The first part of the film is a fantasy, the second part (after the dream sequence in the theater) is the truth.

"Betty" was really Diane, a failed actress who came to LA after winning a dance competition. "Rita" was really Camille, a successful actress who Diane continually lost parts to.

by Anonymousreply 42September 1, 2021 4:48 PM

I feel like she's due for a "comeback" role soon. This business is weird. You never know which projects are going to hit and which ones are going to miss, but she obviously has talent and has done brilliant work in the past, so there's probably a few great roles waiting for her in the coming years that'll get people to wake up and realize that she's a treasure. Kind of like people are doing with Jean Smart right now.

by Anonymousreply 43September 1, 2021 5:57 PM

R22 Something's wrong with you. Definitely.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2021 6:09 PM

Did her and Nicole Kidman scissor some time back? They were inseparable for a while

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2021 6:11 PM

R45, they've know each other forever. There's an old Australian film with her and NK and Thandie Newton, when they are like 14 or 15.

Not sure if they scissored or are just really close.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2021 6:17 PM

Whatever happened to the remake of The Birds that she was supposed to star in a few years ago? It was all ready to start production and then it just disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2021 7:03 PM

R38 it's all explained here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2021 7:30 PM

Thank you, R42! In college I always delayed reading the assigned novel until the prof would give an outline of what it meant, then I could read it quickly and get my own insights. Now I'm going to watch this film again and be able to understand and appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2021 7:31 PM

Does the world need a remake of The Birds? I feel like we're living it.

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2021 7:32 PM

Yeah Mulholland is about the casting couch and the idea that Hollywood is a place of pure evil.

by Anonymousreply 51September 2, 2021 12:00 AM

Her friendship with that crazed weird-ass Nicole Kidman is what did her in.

by Anonymousreply 52September 2, 2021 12:13 AM

Nicole is a go-getter while Naomi is waiting around for people to "give" her roles. It is rather shocking that Nicole never gave Naomi any part in any of her many critically acclaimed mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 53September 2, 2021 12:38 AM

Actually, that is a good point. Nicole has always had ambition. Naomi seems to think things should just fall in her lap.

by Anonymousreply 54September 2, 2021 12:41 AM

Is it possible that NK might have undermined Naomi somehow? That maybe she didn't like another Aussie girl, even a friend, encroaching on her turf? Just speculating here. You know how bitchy gals can be.

by Anonymousreply 55September 2, 2021 12:49 AM

R55 of course she did

by Anonymousreply 56September 2, 2021 1:07 AM

I always thought nicole knows where the bodies are buried. In her movie years she had so many many flops & yet never hit the 40 & done stage. She’s a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2021 1:57 PM

Typical DL question...how did our Ann Miller figure in to 'Mulholland Drive'? I'll never watch it, so someone just tell me. Was she a landlady?

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2021 2:58 PM

Yes the campy landlady redolent of old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2021 3:10 PM

She always reminded me of Rebecca De Morney.

Who I nominate for the next “…why…career…” post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2021 4:43 PM

I just watched her in Boss Level. She had a big scene with Mel Gibson. Naomi has produced and executive produced a lot of stuff so she's not just waiting for the phone to ring. Also she is a mother so that takes up time too.

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2021 5:06 PM

In the dream part Ann Miller was a landlady, but in the real part she was the director's (Justin Thoreaux) mom.

by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2021 5:22 PM

Ann Miller was fabulous, I would never have known her otherwise, I hate musicals. She was GREAT as Coco the sweet landlady/icy but compassionate Hollywood mum double part

by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2021 6:29 PM

Watts and Kidman were both announced to appear in Woody Allen’s 2010 film, “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger” but Kidman dropped out due to scheduling conflicts and was replaced by Lucy Punch. Punch was hilarious as Anthony Hopkins’s trashy girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2021 6:43 PM

Lucy Punch...it's a shame her career never reached the heights it should've. She was great in Being Julia and Bad Teacher.

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2021 6:45 PM

Agreed R65, Lucy Punch is very talented and always worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2021 7:02 PM

I like Naomi in everything I've seen, including the Diana movie. She carried it off better than any other Diana actress. I also liked her as Valerie Plame.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2021 9:02 PM

She's one of the Hollywood trans mommy club, along with Charlize and Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2021 9:04 PM

R67 The Diana acting was fine, but she was too short.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2021 9:10 PM

Who cares?!

by Anonymousreply 70September 2, 2021 9:10 PM

Between her height and the bad wig, Naomi looked like Tina Brown.

by Anonymousreply 71September 2, 2021 9:15 PM

There's a film on Netflix where she falls off a balcony and breaks her back and then a bird flies into the house and encourages her to take up disability sport. That was pleasant.

And there was that film with Octavia Spencer where Naomi and Tim Thing adopt a black boy from a war zone and can't pronounce his name so they call him Luce and he turns out to be a psycho.

And isn't it hilarious that both Naomi and Nicole played Gretchen Carlson recently.

by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2021 9:15 PM

R71 She did!

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2021 9:17 PM

The magpie movie, called 'Penguin Bloom', actually did very well at the Australian box office earlier this year when we were all opened up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2021 9:20 PM

I can't see Nicole playing the Lucy Punch part in Tall Dark Stranger. But it's always nice when Naomi uses her Brit accent. She has a great reaction when she realizes that her artist friend is the new lover of Antonio.

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2021 8:42 AM

Lucy Punch should have a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2021 8:55 AM

Agreed on Lucy Punch, she was a scene-stealer in “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger” and definitely deserves a bigger career. I initially couldn’t have imagined Nicole Kidman attacking the role of a opportunistic call girl with the relish that Punch did, but then I saw “The Paperboy” and realized that maybe Woody Allen was on to something.

by Anonymousreply 77September 3, 2021 6:24 PM

Lucy Punch, Naomi Watts and Woody Allen at Cannes (hope the link works!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 3, 2021 6:35 PM

R68 That's more bullshit invented by Enty. I don't believe a single thing CDAN says.

by Anonymousreply 79September 3, 2021 7:03 PM

[QUOTE] And there was that film with Octavia Spencer where Naomi and Tim Thing adopt a black boy from a war zone and can't pronounce his name so they call him Luce and he turns out to be a psycho.

This movie was quite disturbing (I think it was called “Luce”) and Octavia Spencer should have been nominated for it. She walks away with the movie.

by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2021 8:12 PM

I believe that without Naomi, Mulholland Drive wouldn't have been a masterpiece. She moved me.

by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2021 9:29 PM

She’s over 50; what kind of career are people expecting her to have? Also, she looks fine and thankfully hasn’t gone done the over filled/Botoxed route.

by Anonymousreply 82September 3, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]Lucy Punch should have a bigger career.

She was amazing in Being Julia, her scene with Annette Bening on stage was the highlight of the movie.

She's currently stealing all her scenes in Motherland as Ahhh-man-dar.

by Anonymousreply 83September 4, 2021 11:29 AM

I remember watching some of Lucy Punch’s interviews during the time of “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger” and learn that she had a pleasant speaking voice/accent and not that awful quack she had in the film. She definitely pulled it off, and she said she based her voice on Lady Sovereign!

by Anonymousreply 84September 4, 2021 8:03 PM

Nicole is ambitious and will work in anything. I think she sees her children maybe 25% of the year at most.

Naomi is not very driven, charismatic or interesting. And now in her 50’s, there are hundreds of washed up actresses like her.

by Anonymousreply 85September 4, 2021 8:12 PM

Oh I've just remembered that little American in Paris movie she did with other Academy Award nominees Kate Hudson, Glenn Close and Stockard Channing.

Naomi did well with her men, starting off with Melvil Poupaud and upgrading to Jean-Marc Barr.

by Anonymousreply 86September 4, 2021 8:16 PM

My friend went to (possibly boarding?) school in Australia with Naomi Watts. My friend who is outgoing and funny was also a total nerd at the time. She approached Naomi (this is high school, pre-fame) and said I love your boots! Where did you get them. Naomi curtly answered “London” and walked away without another word.

by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2021 9:01 PM

She has that son that she desperately wants to be a daughter. There’s bizarre photos of that kid sucking on a bike’s handlebar in a most unseemly manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2021 9:06 PM

She looks much younger in Boss Level so either she has had some work done or had a great director of photography. If its the latter pity he couldn't do much for Mel Gibson unless that look was a character choice.

by Anonymousreply 89September 13, 2021 4:20 AM

R80 it really is a fascinating and provocative movie with a lot to say. Octavia Spencer was indeed robbed. Underrated performance and an underrated film.

by Anonymousreply 90September 13, 2021 4:53 AM

Gross on tranny son

by Anonymousreply 91September 13, 2021 10:23 AM

Oooh r84…loved Jean-Marc. Wasn’t there a WHET thread on him a few years ago?

by Anonymousreply 92September 13, 2021 4:09 PM

I think she might be gay. Or did I read that here? Something about a relationship with Laura Brown, the in Style bitch.

by Anonymousreply 93September 13, 2021 4:30 PM

Her new film Lakewood has got bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 94September 13, 2021 10:02 PM

R93 They look like sisters.

by Anonymousreply 95September 14, 2021 9:11 AM

yes but Laura is Australian and Naomi is a Brit. wonder if Laura likes lamb roast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 14, 2021 2:24 PM

Naomi Watts is like Penelope Ann Miller with range.

She's also like a much less timid Amy Adams.

She will do practically anything on screen.

She gets a lot of work, but rarely in anything genuinely good. Does her judgment stink? Or does she just not care as long as she's working?

by Anonymousreply 97April 29, 2022 1:20 PM

I also question her working with Mel Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 98April 29, 2022 1:55 PM

Her choices from the 2010s to now are not quite as bad they may seem (other than maybe two or three) but she should have a Nicole Kidman type career. Kidman is not a box office draw, but even at this point in he career, she's still starring in good, buzzy projects left and right and even award season runs. I can't even remember the last truly bad Kidman movie.

by Anonymousreply 99April 29, 2022 2:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!