Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new Tom Ripley series on Showtime promises to dramatise all the books.

I'm getting the channel just to check it out because I love Patricia Highsmith (Strangers on a Train) books and the films made from them.

But is this guy the right casting? I love him in Fleabag but as Tom? Not sure. Dakota Fanning has signed on to play Madge. What does DL think? Are you going to watch and why or why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2021 9:37 PM

He’s too old for Tom.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2021 5:01 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Madge supposed to be attractive?

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2021 5:04 PM

I agree with R1. The actor is too old for this role.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2021 5:10 PM

Actually, in the original book, Madge is not attractive, at least to Tom. Tom is always silently criticizing her for being overweight.

They made her more attractive and skinnier in the two film adaptations by putting Marie Laforet and Gwyneth Paltrow in the part.

She is also not wealthy in the original novel either.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2021 5:14 PM

Connor Jessup would be a better Tom.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2021 5:19 PM

He'd be great as a 40something Ripley but the idea of him in the Matt Damon story is just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2021 5:27 PM

R5 Connor would be perfect as Tom Ripley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2021 7:45 PM

I'm hoping the series will be good. But can it be better than the two movies already made? Come on, let's talk about this. Has anyone read the novels? Is Ripley crazy? Did Highsmith write these just so she could rapsodize about her home in France? Is it possible to be completely self-controlled and well-liked, and still be a murderer?

This is important, people--or is it only important to me?

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 1:12 AM

^ ^ rhapsodize, before I get "oh deared"

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2021 1:12 AM

I agree Scott is too old but I will watch this.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2021 1:16 AM

This guy was good on Black Mirror but miscast as Ripley. He should have some sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2021 1:35 AM

Delon's Ripley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2021 3:29 PM

I just fear when Hollywood runs out of serial killers, murders and biopics. And they are getting very near that precipice.

Will they just start all over again?

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2021 3:33 PM

Runs out?

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote] Connor Jessup would be a better Tom.

Connor would be amazing. However, I don't know if his gig on Netflix's Locke & Key would get in the way of the filming schedule.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2021 3:43 PM

Will Locke and Key go beyond a fourth season?

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2021 3:55 PM

The last of the series is The Talented Mr. Wrinkley.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2021 4:12 PM

Any news since this casting was announced 2 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2021 4:15 PM

Andrew now has dentures.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2021 4:34 PM

The main thing is for Ripley to be able to play the young Ripley and the 30s-40s Ripley. The book in which Ripley impersonates the artist Derwatt and has complicated adventures with the guy who has been forging Derwatt's pictures is my favorite in some ways. Who has read all the books? They're addictive if you like European culture and suspense.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] Dakota Fanning has signed on to play Madge.

[quote] Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Madge supposed to be attractive?

[quote] Actually, in the original book, Madge is not attractive

Who the hell is Madge?

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2021 5:14 PM

Marge?

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2021 5:26 PM

Yes, Marge is correct and pictured as attractive enough, but certainly not to Ripley's taste, especially since he wants a special relationship (eroto-platonic?) with Dickie. I thought Paltrow was perfect casting, as she is rich and entitled, but not particularly pretty and very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2021 7:15 PM

Johnny Flynn is signed to play Dickie Greenleaf.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2021 8:07 PM

I guess Dickie Greenleaf is less a beauty in the books...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2021 8:15 PM

R15 Connor would make a hot Tom Ripley. Who'd be his Dickie Greenleaf?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2021 4:50 PM

No idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2021 4:54 PM

Anson could follow himself around for a year to play Dickie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2021 5:00 PM

This guy looks like a Dickie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2021 5:04 PM

Alex Pettyfer is a Dickie type. But does he even get cast anymore?

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2021 5:05 PM

Freddie Fox is good at playing arseholes.

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2021 5:09 PM

Who’s that at R29?

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2021 5:21 PM

Pinterest is a shit site. It probably lists his name but it isn't immediately apparent. I use a script blocker, though.

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2021 5:23 PM

Was John Malcovich great or too creepy in Ripley's Game? He's too old now to even play Greenleaf senior.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2021 8:41 PM

Too creepy, R34. Delon was just about right for the book that was adapted for his film.

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2021 8:51 PM

Andrew Scott is one of the best actors in the world today. I don’t care how old the character is. He’s worth watching in everything.

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2021 9:06 PM

I think Delon was TOO good looking. Ripley has to be charming above all, with looks a little above average, that way both men and women trust him and everyone gives him a bit of undeserved credit. Alain Delon was simply so gorgeous he didn't need to be jealous of anyone or need anyone to get money, imo. But I like Purple Noon immensely

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2021 10:27 PM

Andrew Scott is a terrific actor. I think he’s great casting. He doesn’t play his age at all, In fact, in that thing where his daughter falls off a cliff, he seemed too young.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2021 10:30 PM

That makes little sense.

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2021 10:31 PM

I hate his acting since Sherlock Bbc days. Hammy, overacting, over the top, annoying as hell.

by Anonymousreply 40September 7, 2021 3:45 AM

What's the story of his eyebrows?

by Anonymousreply 41September 7, 2021 4:02 PM

The first photos of Andrew Scott and Dakota Fanning as Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2021 9:01 PM

Andrew Scott is fantastic. He can do anything.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2021 8:01 AM

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of younger, better looking, and more talented Brit actors. Just pick one from any BBC or National Theatre production!

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2021 8:17 AM

But he's not British.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2021 8:53 AM

R44 why does the actor need to be British? The character is American and it's an American production. From Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2021 8:54 AM

Dickie is American, as well, but they hired another Brit, as well. *sigh*

And Hollywood wonders why the average American considers them un-American.

I'm surprised they cast an American for Marge.

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2021 8:57 AM

I don't know, i read The talented Mr Ripley a decade and a half ago and i love it but this year i read Ripley under ground and i hated it

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2021 9:23 AM

I don't know. The original movie of Ripley was a French project entitled , "En Plein Soleil" I'd already seen the first American Riply movie and I had to keep checking for the first few minutes that the French one was the correct title. The French movie really packs punches in places the American one sort of either hinted at, or glossed over entirely.

And, without being the Spoiler Queen of 2021, I will not even REFER to the end of the French version!

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2021 9:34 AM

I guess I am in the minority, as not only he’s miscast but i find his acting mostly annoying. As r40 says, he overacts a lot. His face also has some strange plastic quality, maybe it’s the dye job. He also signals ‘evil’ to the back rows.

If they wanted to go for out gay actors, Ben Whishaw, Julian Morris or Jonathan Bailey would all be better choices.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2021 9:48 AM

Is Julian Morris out?

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2021 10:15 AM

Julian Morris would only be cast as the love interest who gets killed.

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2021 9:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!