Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ryan Murphy’s Impeachment: D for Dud

Highlights:

TV docudramas always walk a fine line between illumination and exploitation. But American Crime Story‘s first installment, The People v. O.J. Simpson, broke the mold by doing the impossible: It gave us a fresh perspective on a story we thought we already knew so well. It had depth, it had nuance, it made us rethink the legacies of infamous media pariahs… and I say all that to emphasize that Impeachment: American Crime Story does none of this.

Despite its lofty pedigree, Impeachment is a disaster: a schlocky, overheated melodrama that’s only a degree or two removed from a Saturday Night Live parody. It might as well be a quickie TV movie that aired on Fox in 1998 with a title like Intern Affairs.

Impeachment also falls victim to Murphy’s worst storytelling instincts: shallow characterization, shock value substituting for genuine surprise, and dialogue that tells instead of showing. The characters here say exactly how they feel and what they’re thinking — and loudly. (“Stop worrying about Whitewater!” one White House official yells to another.) The whole project has a gloomy, bad energy to it, feigning gravitas with ponderous cutaways to presidential portraits and justice statues. Murphy takes a backseat to Burgess in the credits — she wrote four of the first six episodes — but his fingerprints here are unmistakable.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE: FX’s American Crime Story franchise plummets with Impeachment, a trashy, exploitative trainwreck that borders on parody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581April 21, 2022 1:45 AM

Okay, I GUESS that Bill Clinton refusing to admit under oath that getting a blow job is legally "having sex" was a crime. But when it comes down to it we're still talking about a blow job between consenting adults.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2021 4:45 PM

This means the homely girl won't be winning any awards for it?

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2021 4:46 PM

[Quote]Did not care for the blunt beige theatrics of American Crime Story: Impeachment, despite Beanie Feldstein’s most heroic efforts

A review worth reading from someone who didn't like it at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2021 4:47 PM

C from IndieWire.

[quote] Yet the staged recreations, showy casting, and lack of insight make this season feel like a tardy version of “Saturday Night Live” — all too content to retread the headlines without digging for substance.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2021 4:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2021 4:53 PM

Critics have really grown bored of Murphy. Everything he releases in recent times has gotten poor reviews.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2021 4:55 PM

When does this air?

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2021 4:57 PM

What R1 said. Multiple hours dedicated to re-covering a whole lot of nothing. If he was going to go that route, he should have done Nancy/Tonya instead -- at least that had potential for camp value.

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2021 5:00 PM

Featuring the talented, soon to be "Funny Girl," Miss Beanie Feldstein-

[quote] The real Monica Lewinsky is a producer on Impeachment, but it’s hardly a flattering portrait of her, either. Feldstein plays her like the dizzy heroine of a rom-com: a squeaky-voiced, lovestruck gal who can’t stop obsessing over her man. (Feldstein doesn’t look much like Monica, either.) The scenes with her and Clive Owen’s Bill Clinton are admittedly compelling, in a seedy romance novel kind of way, and Owen does a decent job of capturing Bill’s aw-shucks charm. But ultimately, the scenes seem ripped from a Lifetime movie, and they’re a bit too easy on old Bill, too, letting him claim to be an innocent victim of conservative persecution.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2021 5:04 PM

If the media hate it, it may be a good production. They hate the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2021 5:05 PM

Beanie is a revelation in this role! A revelation of how Hollywood nepotism is ruining many of Ryan Murphy's productions.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2021 5:07 PM

If Monica had actually looked like Beanie - and in particular, been her size - I’m not sure any of this would ever have happened.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2021 5:14 PM

R11 Ryan Murphy ruins Murphy productions

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2021 5:19 PM

SIMON HALLS! BRING ME THE AXE!

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2021 5:27 PM

[quote]It might as well be a quickie TV movie that aired on Fox in 1998 with a title like Intern Affairs.

I am not going to lie, I would have watched the HELL out of a cheesy late-1990s reenactment called "Intern Affairs." I'd be starting threads on it called "Let's Be 'Intern Affairs!'" and answering "I'm Candace Cameron's dark brown wig!" and also asking where I can find a bootleg copy because it hasn't been seen on TV for 23 years.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2021 5:34 PM

[quote] and they’re a bit too easy on old Bill, too, letting him claim to be an innocent victim of conservative persecution.

As if Hollywood would do otherwise, same as the movie version of Primary Colors whitewashing the Bill and Hill characters. But at least Travolta in exchange got the government to pressure Germany to go easier on Scientology. Murphy should have held out for a higher bid.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2021 5:34 PM

I know DL loves to bash Murphy, but I'm so disappointed by his recent efforts because I've truly enjoyed a lot of his stuff. I think the problem is that he's taken on too much and so most of his projects suffer from it. He needs to get back to OJ- and Feud-level of storytelling. I'm rooting for the guy.

I found Prom to be unwatchable. Same with Hollywood. I was so hoping Impeachment would be good.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2021 5:39 PM

It could be a camp classic… don’t write it off yet.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2021 5:40 PM

If he can't get it right while having a story that is pretty much already written + a person that was involved in the story advising the writers, then he really needs to step back and take a break instead of rushing from one failed production to the next.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2021 5:51 PM

Sarah Paulson is OVER! Get out of my fat suit, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2021 5:57 PM

The casting of Beanie is the first move towards campiness. She's nearly 30, but she looks 35 easily in that wig. It makes the encounter seem less creepy and gross. Remember the real encounters were between a fresh 22 y.o. college grad intern and a 50 yo POTUS. Not the most equal playing field, and if she didn't actually like him, it would've easily been sexual violence and assault. I don't get why the media keeps letting Bill off the hook. If Bill Clinton from the 90s ran today, Republicans would be flocking to him. And his dumb behavior in Little Rock and the White House really screwed over the rest of the party for several years.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2021 6:00 PM

There’s really no crime here. Really odd choice.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2021 6:01 PM

I’m with the other people on this thread who is more interested to check it out after these reviews. A trashy, campy FOX-style melodrama with an all star cast sounds like a lot of fun. The critics are probably just annoyed that it isn’t a sobbing, victim-elevating #MeToo soapbox piece.

Also they hate Murphy a lot so I’ve stopped trusting their opinion when it comes to his shows. The only one I really disliked was that Politician. Didn’t bother to check out The Prom.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2021 6:10 PM

He didn’t read the room. Nobody is in the mood to watch Democrats harassed after everything we’ve been through. Maybe this was made for maga viewers.... fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2021 6:11 PM

[quote] if she didn't actually like him, it would've easily been sexual violence and assault. I don't get why the media keeps letting Bill off the hook

If she didn't like him, none of this would have happened. She pursued him. Implying that he would have raped her is completely untrue.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2021 6:16 PM

What do I have to get the role of Gavin Newsom in The French Laundry?

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2021 6:20 PM

R25 He should have known better than to fuck an intern. Anyways, I'm just sick of painting Bill as an innocent angel. The Republicans suck, but that doesn't mean you can't criticize a Dem for any shit without being called a maga-tard.

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2021 6:25 PM

Beanie Feldstein seems less like Monica Lewinsky and more like Ruth Buzzi.

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2021 6:29 PM

Wait it started already? Where’s it playing?

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2021 6:34 PM

I tried, really, with Beanie.

I said, "Let's give the fat girl a chance."

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2021 6:34 PM

What songs does she sing, and is it only at the very end?

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote]I don't get why the media keeps letting Bill off the hook.

Ha, with all the fucking pressing issues going on in this country at the time, the media asked the 2020 (!!) Democratic presidential candidates whether or not Bill should have resigned back in 1998!!

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2021 6:51 PM

[quote] Implying that he would have raped her is completely untrue.

And very frauish.

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2021 7:01 PM

If Paulson read the Variety review, she likely realizes she will not be winning the Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series in 2022. Those hundreds of hours she wasted in that fat suit for nothing...

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2021 7:02 PM

I just don't understand the need to bring this shit up again and give it fodder for Republicans.

It was a political witch hunt - they were trying to find ANYTHING on him and engaged liars and criminals to help make their case.

Impeaching Trump was NOT a political witch hunt over a fucking blow job.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2021 7:04 PM

They should have stuck with the Hurricane Katrina idea. That would have been much more timely.

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2021 7:12 PM

Beanie was channeling Ricki Lake in Hairspray and amping it up to the high-camp caricature. Almost unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2021 7:14 PM

R27, holy straw-manning. Nobody has painted Bill "as an innocent angel" but now everyone is doing that with Monica 'bringing my presidential kneepads" Lewinsky.

Face it, she was an adult who absolutely knew what she was doing, and willingly so.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2021 7:16 PM

I lived through that impeachment and the damage it did.

And then I've lived through two Trump impeachments and the damage they did not do.

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2021 7:16 PM

You don't have to defend Bill Clinton of all fucking people. The man is a slimy POS.

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2021 7:34 PM

Further proof a project can have all the ingredients needed to be good, and it can still turn out to be a POS.

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2021 7:35 PM

Darren Criss should've played Monica.

by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote] Critics have really grown bored of Murphy.

Can’t imagine why.

by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2021 7:43 PM

Remember Murphy originally intended for this to come out during the 2020 election. What the hell is wrong with him?

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2021 7:48 PM

Probably one of those Gen-X Clinton haters who voted for Bush.

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2021 7:49 PM

This is hate-watch must-see TV.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2021 7:58 PM

Someone teach R7 and R29 how to use the internet.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2021 7:58 PM

Sure r47, here we go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2021 8:49 PM

Sure, r47, I could’ve used that Google machine to look it up, but silly me I thought we were on a discussion board discussing it.

Guess I’m old like that.

Will someone help me turn on that box with the typewriter in front of it so I don’t upset r47?

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2021 9:02 PM

R49 we’re discussing the reviews. All the reviews mention the premiere :p

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2021 9:07 PM

You know I love you anyway, r50!

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2021 9:09 PM

Why all the DL hate for Beanie? I absolutely adored her in Booksmart. Haven’t seen her in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2021 9:13 PM

I really liked her in Hello Dolly. I was surprised how entertaining Minnie was. I haven't seen her in anything else.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2021 9:16 PM

DL doesn’t like beanie because she’s fat. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2021 9:37 PM

R36, Katrina sounded like a fucking bore. They were smart to scrap that idea.

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote]Katrina sounded like a fucking bore. They were smart to scrap that idea.

Apple+ and John Ridley swooped in and picked it up the rights to Five Days at Memorial. Vera Farmiga is playing Dr. Anna Pou (Sarah Paulson was going to play her when Murphy doing it). The book was excellent, so I have high hopes for the series.

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2021 1:21 AM

Ryan Murphy is a cheesy embarrassment to gay people and his content is for sub-basic bitches.

by Anonymousreply 57September 1, 2021 1:33 AM

I think that some of the things that RM finds extremely fascinating are not so much in sync with what is capturing the current zeitgeist. I feel that he could benefit from taking a break, making himself a little scarce, and then coming back and focusing his efforts on [italic]one[/italic] show that is actually really, really good, instead of six, half-assed ones.

by Anonymousreply 58September 1, 2021 1:41 AM

[quote] There’s really no crime here.

Honey, did you even [italic]see [/italic] that beret Monica liked to wear?

by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2021 1:48 AM

Beanie deserved an Oscar for Lady Bird

by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2021 1:55 AM

Why oh why is Beanie wearing such an unsightly wig as Monica, who had such lovely hair and wore it in a fairly specific style??

It's not as though the research isn't there on everybody's phone and for the wig designer. How does Ryan Murphy allow that to happen?

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2021 2:00 AM

Murphy’s problem is that he is a fragile little narcissist who has surrounded himself with yes-men and enablers who have coddled his worst instincts. I guarantee you that after a brief honeymoon period of rubberstamping his slate at Netflix, he got a very rude awakening when that company, which is well known to not suffer fools gladly, demanded he start making good on his deal (which as we we saw in the past week, sent him running back to his enablers at FX).

Creatively it would behoove him to seek a new collaborator outside of Falchuk, and perhaps even do the agency/management switchup.

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote]Vera Farmiga is playing Dr. Anna Pou

If they make her into a complicated hero I am going to flip my lid. Dr. Pou is a psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2021 7:54 AM

From CDAN today:

"Blind Item #4

This A- list mostly television actress who won an Emmy the last time she was in this particular television franchise has worked with the showrunner for years. Even she, hates the finished product of her current project and would really not like to do any press for it at all."

Almost all the commenters guessed Sarah Paulson in Impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2021 8:06 AM

Ryan Murphy always has a lot of clumsy exposition. He assumes you know nothing and it's his job to educate you. I'm sure his latest show has a montage where they explain who Bill Clinton is, maybe one of the most popular songs of 1992 plays in the background.

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2021 8:08 AM

Probably "Humpin' Around," r65.

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2021 8:11 AM

Where are people watching this?

by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2021 8:23 AM

Meghan Markle should play herself as Monica Lewinsky as she has all the right demeanors and spunk necessary to trap a president or a prince

by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2021 8:30 AM

Ryan most likely wanted rethug points when he greenlit this trash, most likely thought rump would still be pres. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2021 8:44 AM

Murphy and Lewinsky are both two swirling vortexes of need so it doesn’t surprise me that they found each other.

The overarching theme in three installment of American Crime Story is essentially the 1990s decade which suggest to me that Murphy is obsessed with his own generational hang ups.

by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2021 8:53 AM

What I do find interesting is that Murphy, who made his name with programs like Nip Tuck and Glee which had a contemporary, timely gloss to them; has basically become reactionary in almost all his settings. I wonder if this nostalgia simply underscores a conservatism that has gone unnoticed.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2021 9:06 AM

Nip/Tuck definitely felt timely. Very glitzy, like the 2000s. I can just picture Dr. Troy in his oversized white sunglasses.

by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2021 9:19 AM

R70 eal

by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2021 9:24 AM

Another previously coddled writer/director, Woody Allen, largely turned to nostalgia pieces and old scripts during his autumnal period.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2021 9:35 AM

Eatin' ani't cheatin'!

by Anonymousreply 75September 1, 2021 9:54 AM

Murphy, who was a reporter in the 90s, appears seemingly to want to return to the tabloid, “A Current Affair” sensationalism of that era. Remember the aborted Charles and Diana series of Feud, or the proposed JFK Jr. series. However in doing this he simply reinforces the institutional conservatism of that era, rather than challenges it. So it’s not a surprise that the Clintons are vilified in Impeachment. There are other reasons to re-examine their legacy, especially from a progressive standpoint, but Murphy regurgitates the old GOP talking points of Clinton’s sexual predation. Several reviews of Impeachment note how the 90s tabloid culture presaged the establishment of truly poisonous right-wing media in the 00s, which is the real crime story, but in choosing not to tell that story, Murphy casts his lot with the conservatives. Perhaps his very long association with Rupert Murdoch era Fox makes a little more sense now.

by Anonymousreply 76September 1, 2021 9:56 AM

"D" for down. "D" for dreary. "DEEEEEEEEE" for dull and for depressing, dismal and deadly!"

by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2021 9:58 AM

[quote] He needs to get back to OJ- and Feud-level of storytelling

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski created and wrote The People Vs OJ Simpson (they previously wrote The People Vs Larry Flint). Murphy and Falchuk came in on the production side.

Likewise Pose was originally someone else’s baby.

It seems to me Murphy needs better co-writers. Ratched, Hollywood and The Politician were major disappointments for me.

Feud was a rare gem.

by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2021 10:16 AM

Monica playing Monica would have been true camp.

by Anonymousreply 79September 1, 2021 10:17 AM

Monica Lewinsky is actually pretty and although she was chubby, she’s proportionate. Beanie Feldstein is an ugly, fat pig.

by Anonymousreply 80September 1, 2021 10:20 AM

Beanie is so obnoxious. She has the most smug face and just constantly looks like she’s about to explode over Trans rights or some other hot button far left issue.

by Anonymousreply 81September 1, 2021 10:23 AM

R27, Straw-man? Nobody is describing Bill as "an angel." He was a first-rate philanderer. Buy Monica pursued him, and he gave in to his major weakness (willing dames).

Funny thing, though. Clinton didn't use his power of the Presidency to coerce Monica into oral sex (otherwise known as "not sexual relations"); he used it to transfer her away from him.

But she raised a lovesick ruckus and wheedled her way to one last, fateful rendezvous---to which she wore a blue dress.

by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2021 10:25 AM

"Buy" = "But."

by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2021 10:26 AM

Jonah Hill should have played Monica.

by Anonymousreply 84September 1, 2021 10:38 AM

[quote] [R36], Katrina sounded like a fucking bore. They were smart to scrap that idea.

Five Days at Memorial is a great story, and it fits into the show’s conceit of the actual crime being a larger societal issue—OJ = racism and classism, Versace = homophobia—better than the Clinton impeachment.

I assume the crime of Katrina would have been poverty or for-profit medicine.

by Anonymousreply 85September 1, 2021 12:15 PM

I agree with the article that criticises Sarah Paulson’s fat-suited performance as Linda Tripp. There are heaps of Plain Jane character actresses around. It’s cheap casting which undermines her humiliation by John Goodman on SNL. If Murphy was so desperate to cast his muse then she could have played Hillary or Anne Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2021 12:25 PM

Frankly I like the sound of this:

[Quote]Impeachment is a disaster: a schlocky, overheated melodrama that’s only a degree or two removed from a Saturday Night Live parody.

by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2021 12:53 PM

It would be better as a Starr/Tripp series. That's the real scandal.

by Anonymousreply 88September 1, 2021 1:22 PM

Monica had her own version of sex appeal; young and plump, ripe and available. Beanie has none of that.

Paulson would have been a great Hilary IMO. Just terrible casting all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 89September 1, 2021 1:31 PM

Sharon Stone could have played Hilary. She has the perfect voice.

by Anonymousreply 90September 1, 2021 1:41 PM

What about that other intern that was found murdered in Rock Creek Park that some senator was having an affair with? Did that ever get a TV movie at least and did they ever find her killer?

by Anonymousreply 91September 1, 2021 1:47 PM

I really hate that FEUD is being hailed here as one of Murphy's great series. That is one low bar of standards.

by Anonymousreply 92September 1, 2021 2:18 PM

There is no man on Earth who would want that fat ugly pig Beanie Feldstein to suck his dick, casting her as Monica is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 93September 1, 2021 2:20 PM

[quote] Sharon Stone could have played Hilary.

As she proved in 1994.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 1, 2021 2:26 PM

Bigger fop and hack.. murphy or tyler perry?

by Anonymousreply 95September 1, 2021 2:33 PM

RM should have focused the story on the truly compelling reasons behind the impeachment, truly revolving gaggle of rightwing activists who were determined to bring down the Clintons at all cost. RM should’ve explored that angle, and why/ how the vast rightwing conspiracy as HC puts it, made a cottage industry out of hating the Clintons. Their unctuous legacy led the way for values-based political divisions that have deepened in recent years. That would’ve been the better miniseries, not a parody of events.

I also find it laughable that Lewinsky is still trying to latch herself onto the Me Too movement. Let’s remember that Lewinsky prior to stalking Clinton and instigating the affair, had done the same with her older, college professors. This was not an innocent woman being taken advantage of, SHE was the stalking predator in the relationship. Clinton should’ve known better than to succumb to big ‘ol gal Monica flashing him her thongs. But her recent attempts to paint herself as a victim is laughable. She was/ is a victim of her own actions.

by Anonymousreply 96September 1, 2021 2:54 PM

They were both to blame. Monica pursued Clinton and was certainly not a victim, but Clinton was totally unethical and unprofessional to let an intern suck his dick. Monica was a walking needy time bomb who could be spotted from a mile away, it's so odd that a man as savvy as Clinton couldn't see that.

by Anonymousreply 97September 1, 2021 3:16 PM

To let him know her interest she flashed her thonged big culo at Clinton which is kind of fabulous. I hope to see this scene.

by Anonymousreply 98September 1, 2021 3:24 PM

R32: Didn’t stop you asking for his help and money when you ran for the House of Representatives in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 99September 1, 2021 3:33 PM

[quote]RM should have focused the story on the truly compelling reasons behind the impeachment, truly revolving gaggle of rightwing activists who were determined to bring down the Clintons at all cost.

That is a part of this.

by Anonymousreply 100September 1, 2021 3:33 PM

Does this mean the homely fat pig will no longer appear on our tv screens?

by Anonymousreply 101September 1, 2021 3:33 PM

R100 yes but only a small part. Murphy centers the story in the tradition of gay filmmakers like George Cukor or Douglas Sirk, around the women and their melodrama. That is all he saw in the Impeachment saga; a women’s melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 102September 1, 2021 3:37 PM

^^ Almovodar is the very best living director at this. And his work unlike RM's is complex, multi-layered, full of symbolism.

by Anonymousreply 103September 1, 2021 3:42 PM

Bitch, nobody cares about right wing media.

People want to see the catfight between Tripp and Lewinsky. And Murphy knows that.

by Anonymousreply 104September 1, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote] People want to see the catfight between Tripp and Lewinsky.

Nobody wants to see this. That’s the problem with Murphy’s mentality. “Catty women OMGLOL!” It reminds me of when the Sony hack emails showed the the studio heads were not sure what to make of his frequent and bizarre vagina jokes in his spec for One Hit Wonders. There isn’t anything there beyond “VAGINAS OMG EEEEEW.”

by Anonymousreply 105September 1, 2021 4:35 PM

Ryan Murphy should've played Monica.

by Anonymousreply 106September 1, 2021 5:07 PM

I had to search this out since nobody answered my question. This is the limited series he should have made. Why are they always chubby Jewish girls?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 1, 2021 5:19 PM

I could be glib, R105, but I think people are genuinely burned out on everything being so highly politicized where the message is Republicans Bad. I think people are itching for a fun, trashy period piece and not another somber lecture about society. They had some important themes in OJ and Versace but they weren’t trying to hit you over the head with it constantly which is why they were successful.

Besides, the show hasn’t even aired and there are a lot of big actors cast to play these Republican figures so it’s not like we have proof that they actively avoided stories that hold them accountable.

by Anonymousreply 108September 1, 2021 5:21 PM

I remember people wouldn’t shut up about Chandra Levy and then 9/11 happened.

by Anonymousreply 109September 1, 2021 5:21 PM

R109 Well that’s quite a conspiracy, how do you propose they are connected?

by Anonymousreply 110September 1, 2021 5:22 PM

Ryan Murphy should do a limited series about Leona Helmsley, that would be a hoot and I think Kate Mulgrew would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 111September 1, 2021 5:45 PM

R111 that’s a great crime story to tell. We have that camp movie already but I think he could turn up the dial. The bitchiness would be off the charts with Leona. I’d also bring in Jocelyn Wildenstein as a side character. But this Clinton story? Meh

by Anonymousreply 112September 1, 2021 5:58 PM

LOL you bitches think he would cast someone other than Sarah Paulson as Leona.

Ryan Murphy is Sarah Paulson and Sarah Paulson is Ryan Murphy. He would transition into her if he could.

by Anonymousreply 113September 1, 2021 6:01 PM

The story is so old and played out already, and too recent. You still have Republicans bellyaching about the blowjob.

by Anonymousreply 114September 1, 2021 6:04 PM

"It could be a camp classic… don’t write it off yet."

Hi, Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 115September 1, 2021 6:19 PM

If Murphy was serious about deconstructing this and wanted to make a camp classic at the same time, he should have had all the female roles played by drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 116September 1, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote]There is no man on Earth who would want that fat ugly pig Beanie Feldstein to suck his dick

Any female who sucks dick will have a limitless supply of happy customers.

by Anonymousreply 117September 1, 2021 7:15 PM

Ryan Murphy had such a deep and dramatic well of "American Crimes," but he chose this bullshit. He could've done a series on the Manson Family, or the Black Dahlia, or Sister Aimee, or Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, or John Wayne Gacy.

I would've done a season on Leona Helmsley, starring either Lorraine Bracco or Catherine Zeta-Jones in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 118September 1, 2021 7:21 PM

Of course Monica was a victim. How can you actually look at what Tripp did to her and everything that followed and say she wasn't a victim?

by Anonymousreply 119September 1, 2021 7:38 PM

Yes but she wasnt a victim because she sucked cock. She was a victim because America couldnt accept their president was getting blowjobs from some young intern.

by Anonymousreply 120September 1, 2021 9:10 PM

R107, OMG, Chandra Levy is not "chubby" under any definition---except a nutty gay man's!

by Anonymousreply 121September 1, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] "OMG, Chandra Levy is not "chubby" under any definition---except a nutty gay man's!"

Chandra Levy hasn't even been Chandra Levy since 2002. But you're right. She wasn't remotely fat.

by Anonymousreply 122September 1, 2021 10:09 PM

[quote]I agree with the article that criticises Sarah Paulson’s fat-suited performance as Linda Tripp. There are heaps of Plain Jane character actresses around.

Allison Tolman (Fargo season one) would've been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 123September 2, 2021 12:35 AM

R123 Ryan Murphy has the same problem as Tim Burton, and both should be slammed for it.

They have this ridiculous style of "company casting." They both cast the same actors again and again, not because they're right for the parts, but because the director/producer is bad at his job and needs to know he's working with a friend who won't be difficult.

Sarah Paulson is talented, but she's not the only fucking actress in town. It's become a sick joke at this point. He doesn't produce without her, and she never seems to get work unless it's under Ryan Murphy. It really hurts her more than him. And as for Finn Wittrock, Cody Fern, Evan Peters, and all the other twinkmeat Ryan wishes he could fuck, they're discarded as soon as he finds a new man to ogle. His muses are fickle. I really wish we didn't have to talk so much about a middle-aged gay director and his obvious eye for young shirtless men, but he keeps casting them and he keeps putting them in sexual positions. He brings that gossip on himself.

by Anonymousreply 124September 2, 2021 12:40 AM

Divine as Monica or Linda -- or both.

by Anonymousreply 125September 2, 2021 12:46 AM

R125 Divine has been DEAD for over 30 fucking years! Exactly how would that casting decision work?

by Anonymousreply 126September 2, 2021 12:49 AM

In your mind, if you have one.

by Anonymousreply 127September 2, 2021 12:50 AM

{quote] I really wish we didn't have to talk so much about a middle-aged gay director and his obvious eye for young shirtless men, but he keeps casting them and he keeps putting them in sexual positions.

Why would we want Murphy to deny us both the male objectification and the behind-the-scenes gossip?

I thought that's why we're here.

by Anonymousreply 128September 2, 2021 12:52 AM

R128 Are we here to be entertained, or are we just here to jerk off?

There'd be a lot more gossip on Ryan's sets if he shook up his casting once in a while. But most of them have worked together for so many years that they're like The Brady Bunch cast - as close as family. Look at the drama DL had about that troll Beanie F getting "Funny Girl" over that meth addict whats-her-name. What if there had been similar drama over the casting of Linda Tripp? Like maybe it was supposed to be Edie Falco, but then Ryan swapped her for his twinsies Sarah Paulson, and Edie got her revenge by butchering Hillary's part? Now that's a steak that sizzles!

by Anonymousreply 129September 2, 2021 1:01 AM

I can't believe someone on a gay board is bitching about having shirtless actors on screen.

by Anonymousreply 130September 2, 2021 1:15 AM

R130 When they're straight dudes who probably let the old queen blow them to get the part, why not?

by Anonymousreply 131September 2, 2021 1:21 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 2, 2021 1:23 AM

I don't hate company casting when done strategically or occasionally, but Murphy just throws the same people at every single script, without giving a fuck if they fit.

This was a good recent Paulson project that La Murphy was not involved in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 2, 2021 1:35 AM

He should get into Hollywood type Roman à clef movies. Start with Jennifer /Brad/Angie

by Anonymousreply 134September 2, 2021 1:42 AM

[quote]They have this ridiculous style of "company casting." They both cast the same actors again and again, not because they're right for the parts, but because the director/producer is bad at his job and needs to know he's working with a friend who won't be difficult.

I don't have a problem with him having an acting company. He isn't the only one that does. He rewards people for their loyalty by casting them when they need the work. He knows what the actors are capable of that he has worked with for over a decade. I get that it makes it easy. He shuffles in new people every now and then to see if they stick.

The problem is that he can't get out of his rigid way of thinking when it comes to some of the actors, always writing them how he sees them, and he seems to force them into places where they don't belong.

The problem with Sarah Paulson is that the few loyal AHS fans left expect her to be there. So he will shoehorn her in every single season. (And of course her least liked season is the one where she was barely a blip with Adina Porter taking the lead with Cuba Gooding Jr. )

[quote]And as for Finn Wittrock, Cody Fern, Evan Peters, and all the other twinkmeat Ryan wishes he could fuck, they're discarded as soon as he finds a new man to ogle.

He hasn't stopped working with Finn, Cody and Evan since he first started working with the three. I'm not sure what you mean by he discards them? Even if Matt B and Dylan McDermott are older now, he still finds things for them to do when they want to work with him. The same goes for Jon Jon Briones and Leslie Jordan.

[quote]When they're straight dudes who probably let the old queen blow them to get the part, why not?

Or maybe he hires them because he thinks the audience will like them since people expect hot men on his shows? Sex still sells. Maybe he hires them because they're friends with him? Maybe he's friends with their parents? Maybe, just maybe, a gay guy in Hollywood isn't fucking everyone that he works with? Maybe stereotypes like this actually hurt gay people and are best reserved for people like Bryan Singer where there's more than a bit of credible proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 2, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]And his accent is all over the place: sometimes a caricatured Clinton voice, at others something as unrecognizable as the Children of Men star’s face.

Enjoyed many of his roles since "Chancer' but I'll never understand why people persist in casting him as "American". He always speaks with British intonation even when he manages a somewhat 'generic accent'.

Another bizarre casting choice, and apparently bad prosthetics.

by Anonymousreply 136September 2, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote]We see the painful push-pull between Lewinsky’s attraction to her president and her understanding that this is very unhealthy for her. In one notable sequence, she shows up outside the Oval Office for an impromptu rendezvous with Clinton, learns he’s watching G.I. Jane with daughter Chelsea, and proceeds to verbally beat herself up for failing to recognize how little her lover cares about her. It’s a great performance, and the center of the season’s highlight: a sixth episode about the very long day Lewinsky spent in the custody of Starr’s goons (led by Colin Hanks as Mike Emmick).

The tragic ingenue.

Beanie's Emmy campaign is in full swing.

by Anonymousreply 137September 2, 2021 2:23 AM

R137 The only tragedy here is that Monica Lewinsky has to be played by this unfortunate lump, and reduced to nothing more than a fool chasing a married man and being tossed around from Tripp to Starr to Bill and back to Tripp again.

Is that how Monica sleeps at night? By blaming all of her actions and choices on other people around her?

by Anonymousreply 138September 2, 2021 2:26 AM

I still can't believe Monica was so dumb to spill such an explosive secret to some random coworker.

Be disgruntled and hurt as much as you wish but can't you see a shrink to get the load off?

by Anonymousreply 139September 2, 2021 2:44 AM

R139 Imagine how shitty "Fatal Attraction" would've been if Alex had confided everything to her frump-a-dump cubicle mate.

by Anonymousreply 140September 2, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote] To let him know her interest she flashed her thonged big culo at Clinton which is kind of fabulous.

LMAO. XXXXL thonged culo.

by Anonymousreply 141September 2, 2021 5:21 AM

It wasn’t just a blowjob.. it was ANAL!!!

by Anonymousreply 142September 2, 2021 5:22 AM

[quote] Nobody wants to see this.

And nobody wanted to see Katrina either. That's the thing with RM. Lately, he has odd ideas about what makes compelling TV.

by Anonymousreply 143September 2, 2021 5:23 AM

[quote]Is that how Monica sleeps at night? By blaming all of her actions and choices on other people around her?

But she doesn't. She accepts she had some responsibility for it. But that doesn't negate the fact that Clinton should've known better, and it doesn't negate the fact that it was a massive abuse of power on his part. Read what she actually wrote, rather than what you want to pretend she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 2, 2021 10:46 AM

In what way did Clinton abuse his power? Seriously?

Did he tell her she’d lose her internship if she didn’t suck him off? Or promise her a promotion if she did?

No. That’s what is meant by “abuse of power” not that one half of a “couple’ has a more powerful and important job than the other.

By all accounts (including her own) she was doing most of the running. A heterosexual man and a heterosexual woman were attracted to each other so got it on. Monica was a grown woman who knew the score and the risks. No “abuse” here whatsoever.

He cheated on his wife, which was scummy, but trying to paint him as a predator is fucking ridiculous.

Although I DO think he sexually harrassed other women, including Paula Jones, the Monica thing was entirely consensual.

by Anonymousreply 145September 2, 2021 11:31 AM

I think it was unethical and the people who call it an abuse of power are getting carried away.

by Anonymousreply 146September 2, 2021 11:34 AM

Who cares? We had a pussy grabbing, whore fucker there recently. Got impeached 2x. He is the real CRIME story.

by Anonymousreply 147September 2, 2021 12:01 PM

Monica Lewis my was very pretty and a little zaftig. She was womanly ,young and attractive . So if I was a straight horndog I would have been all over that and so would lots of men. Beanie what’s her face not so much. Terrible casting. Ryan Murphy is an asshole. Beanie Feldman will continue to shoved down our throats for some odd reason.

by Anonymousreply 148September 2, 2021 12:55 PM

I'll still watch it. I don't know if he "abused power" but it was a low, tacky thing to do. For fucksake! I look forward to the scenes of Hillary reading him for filth.

by Anonymousreply 149September 2, 2021 12:57 PM

Has a show that hasn’t even premiered ever garnered this much chatter before?

by Anonymousreply 150September 2, 2021 12:58 PM

R145 That's a pathetically narrow definition of abuse of power. It doesn't matter if it was consensual - the power imbalance overrides that. He was the most powerful man in the world, she was an intern on his staff. And this was a pattern of behaviour, exhibited with other women with similar imbalances of power.

by Anonymousreply 151September 2, 2021 1:32 PM

R151 It was the “power imbalance” that attracted her, you idiot.

What part of that do you performing feminists not understand? Power attracts women like tits attract men.

And so what if there was a “power imbalance? Exactly who decided that sexual partners have to be equal in every possible way? And sorry, but the only time consent is “overridden” is when one party is too young to know what they are consenting to. This does not describe Monica Lewinsky.

This insistence on conveying victim status on any woman engaging in sex that you don’t personally approve of is the most enfeebling thing imaginable. Women are allowed to make mistakes, be sleazy or behave badly without it automatically being the fault of the man involved.

Why are you even on this site, by the way? A misandrist on a forum for gay men? Consider fucking off please.

by Anonymousreply 152September 2, 2021 1:44 PM

[quote]Beanie is a revelation in this role! A revelation of how Hollywood nepotism is ruining many of Ryan Murphy's productions.

Oh cut the bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 153September 2, 2021 1:45 PM

Not that I disagree, R151, but would she have blown him if he was the White House janitor? I’m not excusing his behavior, and there is an imbalance of power, but she entered the relationship expecting something, too. It was transactional on both parts. I think it’s more correct to say she got used, and that’s partially on her. I’m tired of women like her crying victim just because some guy with power used them - she went into this knowing what the score would probably be.

by Anonymousreply 154September 2, 2021 1:49 PM

R152 good post!

Also feminists are so obsessed with painting women as creatures without agency that they just end up making women appear weak, boring and devoid of personhood.

Let women be dangerous! Its fun.

by Anonymousreply 155September 2, 2021 2:22 PM

The only reason I was at all relieved Hillary lost was in the hope that poster girl for Borderline Personality Disorder Lewinsky would finally disappear. Alas. The Fat Chick who brought the pizza clings desperately onto her15 minutes of notoriety.

The fact that Clinton let a bunny boiler blow him argues against him being the sexual predator his enemies claim he was: any experienced adulterous skirt-chaser would have spotted that needy, bunny-boiling nutjob a mile off.

by Anonymousreply 156September 2, 2021 3:09 PM

R156 yeah he fucked around but it was all consensual. Women love powerful men nearly as much as they love money. This tart needs to disappear, her 15 seconds of infamy have been stretched way too far.

by Anonymousreply 157September 2, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] but would she have blown him if he was the White House janitor?

What part of 'she was sexually attracted to powerful men' don't you get? It's not like she was the only one in the history of mankind, let alone in the history of the White House. Before that, she had an affair with a married professor, also older than her and in a more powerful position.

And Bill was very charismatic and magnetic.

by Anonymousreply 158September 2, 2021 5:15 PM

R152 Thinking men have to take responsibility for their actions isn't misandry. And my opinion of what she did doesn't matter - Monica herself has said he abused his power.

But go off in defending a shitty person and a shitty president who gave the Republicans pretty much everything they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 159September 2, 2021 5:17 PM

The wild variety of challenging opportunities offered to Sarah Paulson have long ago exceeded her ability to fulfill those challenges. She is good when well cast, with an excellent script and a director who knows how to utilize her presence. She is not the sort of artist who can turn dreck into gold the way Regina King or Jennifer Coolidge can. Ratched was wretched. Please let her go away.

by Anonymousreply 160September 2, 2021 5:53 PM

R160 just let her get away from Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 161September 2, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote]I still can't believe Monica was so dumb to spill such an explosive secret to some random coworker.

Linda Tripp had a reputation as a busybody and a troublemaker long before Monica entered the picture. People were warned about Tripp, and told to keep her at arm's length and not to get too chummy with her. She was widely disliked.

by Anonymousreply 162September 2, 2021 6:12 PM

R158 - I think my question was kinda proving your point about being attracted to powerful men. The rest of my paragraph too. I’m guessing reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 163September 2, 2021 6:17 PM

Since time immemorial, women chase rich and powerful men (no matter their age, no matter what they look like) and straight men chase younger, attractive women. So #TimesUp better deal with that. And Monica's lucky Clinton let her blow him. She's a butt-ugly fatty and has never managed to find another man who'd be willing to be seen with her.

by Anonymousreply 164September 2, 2021 6:27 PM

R163, what was the transaction here, and how did she get used in a consensual affair?

by Anonymousreply 165September 2, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]The only reason I was at all relieved Hillary lost was in the hope that poster girl for Borderline Personality Disorder Lewinsky would finally disappear. Alas. The Fat Chick who brought the pizza clings desperately onto her15 minutes of notoriety.

She would whinge about people still reporting on her affair and jumped on the #MeToo movement to act as a shield, but she's more than happy to rehash this when she's getting paid for it. I guess selling purses didn't give her the cushy lifestyle she wants.

by Anonymousreply 166September 2, 2021 8:16 PM

R163 Yes, your question did prove my point. I’m a different poster to R158, who I think might have misunderstood you.

R159 I am not supporting Clinton. I think his behaviour of hiding in a cupboard so that he could stick his dick in the mouth of an unpaid staff member is pretty reprehensible & hardly upholds the dignity of the highest office in the land. As someone else said, it was unethical, at the very least.

But this does not, by default, make Lewinsky a victim of abuse. However he may have behaved with other women, I see no evidence that he was predatory towards her or abused his position in order to take advantage of her. She was an adult woman, intelligent and capable, who wanted to have an affair with him and did so.

by Anonymousreply 167September 2, 2021 8:59 PM

My impression was that Monica fell madly in love with him, as only a very young, immature, starry-eyed woman can. Didn’t she fantasize he’d leave Hillary and marry her? Having done stupid things when I was young, I can see how she got carried away. He knew better and was a POS to play with her emotions.

by Anonymousreply 168September 2, 2021 8:59 PM

Really, R165, you can’t see what Monica might have hoped to gain by having an affair with Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 169September 2, 2021 9:01 PM

Find your own husband, you fat lunatic!

by Anonymousreply 170September 2, 2021 9:06 PM

R169, Monica hasn't exactly stayed silent about the affair, so what did she say she was after that makes it transactional?

by Anonymousreply 171September 2, 2021 9:31 PM

A clip from the limited run series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 2, 2021 9:40 PM

I can’t figure out if you’re a troll, R171, or just obtuse.

by Anonymousreply 173September 2, 2021 11:22 PM

Just saw the brief commercial. Clive Owens does a creditable take on Bill! "Hillary" looks like Not-Hillary, alas. I think Sarah Paulson really looks like Linda Tripp!

But this Beanie creature as Monica? And Monica is helping produce this show? She must have a low opinion of herself!

by Anonymousreply 174September 3, 2021 1:35 AM

R168, Age, schmage!

Heck, the 35-year-old Marilyn Monroe thought JFK would leave Jackie for her!

Romantic delusions know no boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 175September 3, 2021 1:39 AM

Nope. Didn't watch the OJ rehash, didn't watch the other one (can't remember what it was about) and I'm not watching this one either.

I'm old. I follow the news every day. I remember all of these events clearly enough from the first go-round. I don't need any of this shit brought to me in thrilling television docu-drama.

Monica's looking great though. Still fat but she's had some decent work done and she looks good.

by Anonymousreply 176September 3, 2021 1:44 AM

The OJ one was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 177September 3, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote] I think Sarah Paulson really looks like Linda Tripp!

The real Linda Tripp was even more hideous than Paulson's portrayal. She was one uglyass bitch.

by Anonymousreply 178September 3, 2021 2:12 AM

R176, 71 here, so lived through a bunch myself. But I'll watch for the amusement. Have you really not watched any depiction of events from your lifetime? I mean, I lived through the Vietnam War and Cronkite's nightly tally, and I still watched "Platoon" and "Apocalypse Now." Same with "All the President's Men."

I recommend the "Versace" series. Darren Criss really shows the descent into madness of Andrew Cunanan.

by Anonymousreply 179September 3, 2021 2:13 AM

They should have used CGI to recreate Linda Tripp's disgusting mug. Prosthetics weren't cut out for the job.

by Anonymousreply 180September 3, 2021 2:15 AM

Linda Tripp and her son and daughter interviewed in 2001

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 3, 2021 2:35 AM

Linda Tripp had a hot son. He must've been adopted.

by Anonymousreply 182September 3, 2021 8:15 AM

The trailer for this crap looks godawful. Beanie is too fat and unattractive to play Monica. She comes off as a homely fatty with a school girl crush. Talk about spinning things to make her look innocent and pure. She was a little slut who chased after married men while she was in school and had plans of fucking George Stephanopoulos when she first got to Washington. They just want to paint her in a good light by hiring a sympathetic uggo.

by Anonymousreply 183September 3, 2021 8:22 AM

R183 I bet Jonah Hill would make a more attractive fat woman than his sister. They look a lot alike, but somehow, she's always uglier than her yo-yo tub of a brother.

by Anonymousreply 184September 3, 2021 8:43 AM

The problem with Beanie is that she's too much of everything. She's bigger than Monica was, her eyebrows have been made bushier than Monica's ever were, the hair looks like an overdone Mastercuts version of the expensive cuts Monica actually had. It's like some MAD Magazine caricature of Monica Lewinsky.

by Anonymousreply 185September 3, 2021 9:30 AM

R185 Molly Shannon looked more like her in the SNL sketches.

I've heard people mention Allison Tolman, too. But she's a little too mature to play 25.

by Anonymousreply 186September 3, 2021 9:37 AM

Also, this casting prediction is presh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 3, 2021 9:39 AM

Any big blue eyes brunette would do it. Zooey Deschanel 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 188September 3, 2021 10:13 AM

Honesty, I have not read any of the pre-press on this, but is this not a comedy parody of the whole thing? It can’t possibly be a straightforward historical telling of the situation right?

by Anonymousreply 189September 3, 2021 11:22 AM

Beanie should have played Linda Tripp.

by Anonymousreply 190September 3, 2021 11:41 AM

Linda Tripp was like six feet tall, you moron

by Anonymousreply 191September 3, 2021 12:17 PM

Who did Ryan Murphy cast to play Linda Tripp's hot son?

by Anonymousreply 192September 3, 2021 1:15 PM

R95 at least Perry doesn’t try to promote his schlock as high art. Murphy seems to take himself wayyy too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 193September 3, 2021 2:10 PM

No indication of its being a parody, r189.

by Anonymousreply 194September 3, 2021 2:34 PM

The cast (but no "Kenneth Starr"):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 3, 2021 2:40 PM

Dan Bakkedahl plays Starr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 3, 2021 2:51 PM

R175 True. I guess I’m talking about emotional immaturity and, yes, vulnerability to love.

by Anonymousreply 197September 3, 2021 2:51 PM

So who does Beanie play? Monica's mother?

by Anonymousreply 198September 3, 2021 2:54 PM

Yes, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 199September 3, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote]Beanie should have played Linda Tripp.

How dare you attack this sisterhood!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 3, 2021 4:35 PM

[quote]I've heard people mention Allison Tolman, too. But she's a little too mature to play 25.

Tolman would've been perfect for an 'upscale tv' Tripp.

[quote]But this Beanie creature as Monica? And Monica is helping produce this show? She must have a low opinion of herself!

The future Emmy winner at the premiere photocall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 3, 2021 5:46 PM

Why is that tubby playing Monica ? It's ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 3, 2021 6:08 PM

I just find it sort of fascinating that Monica, Bill, and Hillary are all still chugging along, each doing their own crazy shit, at cross purposes.

by Anonymousreply 203September 3, 2021 7:54 PM

If Linda Tripp had kept her big fat mouth shut, none of this would've happened.

by Anonymousreply 204September 3, 2021 8:07 PM

Absolutely, r204.

Bill would have soon grown tired of Monica and moved on (to another intern or....someone).

And Monica would have found another older man who might've been far more receptive.

by Anonymousreply 205September 3, 2021 9:37 PM

If Monica kept her trap shut, she could've saved herself a world of grief.

by Anonymousreply 206September 3, 2021 10:14 PM

Linda never would have gotten a makeover and never would have opened a German Christmas Shoppe.

by Anonymousreply 207September 3, 2021 10:16 PM

R205, Bill had grown tired if her; he had her transferred away from him.

by Anonymousreply 208September 4, 2021 1:31 AM

"of"

by Anonymousreply 209September 4, 2021 1:32 AM

If this series had been made twenty years ago it would have been Tiffany Amber Thiessen in padding. Monica wasn’t ugly nor hugely fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 4, 2021 2:44 AM

Monica was pretty and zaftig. Not fat and plain.

by Anonymousreply 211September 4, 2021 3:48 PM

[quote]If Monica kept her trap shut, she could've saved herself a world of grief.

I agree with you but she had Ken Starr bullying her for as much salacious juice as he could get, that fucking hypocrite. She wasn't allowed a lawyer but finally was able to contact her mother.

by Anonymousreply 212September 4, 2021 4:58 PM

Starr was such a fucking creep. There was no legal need whatsoever for all the explicit details. That was just sick.

by Anonymousreply 213September 4, 2021 5:01 PM

Monica was a very pretty young, curvy woman. Yes, she was needy and manipulative but the casting is awful. Beanie might be good in other roles but she has no resemblance to Monica. I haven't seen the first episode so I don't know how Beanie 'plays' her but there is absolutely no resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 214September 4, 2021 5:03 PM

Do we see the actual blowjob and cumshot?

by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2021 5:39 PM

When and where is it on? This info should be at the top of every review, dagnabit!

by Anonymousreply 216September 4, 2021 6:11 PM

Are there going to be Gap commercials airing through the limited run series, are they a major sponsor? What was the Gap playlist during the height of the trials, if a only there was a way to find out?

by Anonymousreply 217September 4, 2021 6:22 PM

There's this thing called Google r216

by Anonymousreply 218September 4, 2021 6:24 PM

R218 What an utterly predictable response. Why’d you even bother?

by Anonymousreply 219September 4, 2021 6:25 PM

R216 I agree, I feel like this isn’t usually attached to reviews anymore, maybe because they are so international now days and things end up on different platforms in different countries? There are things in the US on Hulu that are on Amazon Prime in other countries and that just seems wrong. And then you have threads here that are like “On HBO…” and they sound like they are shilling for that content provider.

by Anonymousreply 220September 4, 2021 6:25 PM

R216 it is. Learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 221September 4, 2021 6:49 PM

R221 I said at the TOP of the review. LeArN tO rEaD.

by Anonymousreply 222September 4, 2021 6:56 PM

I can’t even tell who any of these actors are supposed to be. That is how bad this is. None of them look like their real life counterparts. Beanie looks more like Peter Lorre in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 223September 4, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote] Anyways, I'm just sick of painting Bill as an innocent angel.

Oh, dear. Do fuck off, you retard.

by Anonymousreply 224September 4, 2021 8:36 PM

I don't understand what Sarah Paulson is doing in this. Nobody wears fat suits anymore.

by Anonymousreply 225September 7, 2021 8:20 PM

R52, because she's related to Jonah Hill. He got his career from stalking Dustin Hoffman's kids in college and now he's foisting his fat, dumpy, no-charisma sister on us.

by Anonymousreply 226September 7, 2021 8:33 PM

I read A Vast Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Sex Scandal That Nearly Brought Down a President by Jeffrey Toobin. What a fascinating book into the Clintons, Lewinsky, Tripp, Starr, and Jones. Toobin is an excellent author and Murphy is a great adapter, so I have high hopes.

Remember this: Judge Susan Weber Wright from Little Rock, Arkansas got the last word.

by Anonymousreply 227September 7, 2021 8:49 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, r227. I’ll look it up.

by Anonymousreply 228September 7, 2021 9:25 PM

I don't care how many times Jeffrey Toobin jerks off in front of his co-workers, he's a great author and his books are worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 229September 7, 2021 9:30 PM

Time to stop bringing this up, doesn't solve anything

by Anonymousreply 230September 7, 2021 9:33 PM

R229 I 100% agree! He is currently writing a book on the Oklahoma City bombing and I am super excited. I think he is better than Bob Woodward in some senses.

by Anonymousreply 231September 7, 2021 9:38 PM

R229 Peter Baker (NYTimes) is pretty good too. He wrote a book on James Baker and one on the Bush 43 Administration.

by Anonymousreply 232September 7, 2021 9:39 PM

R231 and other Toobin fans: He also wrote the book that was the basis for the first Ryan Murphy American Crime Story - The People v OJ Simpson. Toobin's book is titled The Run of His Life and includes many details not included in the miniseries.

I'm looking forward to Impeachment. I want to see if it includes "the blowjob boys" --- Toobin's name for the 3 guys who enjoyed Paula's favors prior to her Clinton affair.

by Anonymousreply 233September 7, 2021 10:06 PM

[quote]If this series had been made twenty years ago it would have been Tiffany Amber Thiessen in padding. Monica wasn’t ugly nor hugely fat.

Any actress wearing a fat suit would elicit criticism in today's climate, as would hiring any actress more attractive than Lewinsky. Thiessen would've been too pretty for the role.

by Anonymousreply 234September 7, 2021 11:21 PM

Monica Lewinsky should've played Linda.

by Anonymousreply 235September 7, 2021 11:40 PM

Go to JustWatch. It has streaming information for property in your country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 8, 2021 1:45 AM

Who is playing Lucianne Goldberg?

John Carroll Lynch??

by Anonymousreply 237September 8, 2021 2:04 AM

Margo Martindale

by Anonymousreply 238September 8, 2021 2:13 AM

Gabourey Sidibe should have portrayed Monica.

by Anonymousreply 239September 8, 2021 2:42 AM

Is this the viewing thread?

by Anonymousreply 240September 8, 2021 4:28 AM

Good god, they have Tripp tells Beanie to watch out for a certain coworker who will be threatened because she’s PRETTY.

by Anonymousreply 241September 8, 2021 5:18 AM

Watching this I actually felt kind of sorry for Linda Tripp, which I hate myself for.

by Anonymousreply 242September 8, 2021 8:03 AM

I didn't realize Monica was a producer on this thing. Way to bust through that stereotype of women who NEVER let it go!

by Anonymousreply 243September 8, 2021 11:28 AM

Disappointed there isn't an official viewing thread.

You let me down DL.

Anyway, Jonah Hill's sister is a slap in the face to Monica. Monica is facially pretty.

Paulson was the standout, unsurprisingly.

by Anonymousreply 244September 8, 2021 2:05 PM

So, there’s not an official thread? Can one of the official threadmeisters make one stat and report back to all the orphan threads?

by Anonymousreply 245September 8, 2021 2:33 PM

I know who her brother is but honestly- we did not need a Beanie on tv

by Anonymousreply 246September 8, 2021 2:42 PM

I don't know how Datalounge feels about this but I think her brother is actually talented.

21 and 22 Jump Street wouldn't have worked without his awkward comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 8, 2021 2:55 PM

Margo Martindale should have been cast as Linda Tripp. The casting on this show is awful.

by Anonymousreply 248September 8, 2021 3:24 PM

Margo Martindale is 70 and Ann Dowd is 65, in a very weird alternative Hollywood twist both of these actresses, who I think are phenomenal, always seem to be proposed for casting in much to much younger roles then they are or should be playing.

by Anonymousreply 249September 8, 2021 3:30 PM

It was better than I thought it would be. What an asshole Tripp was! Nobody liked her. Paulson was better than expected.

Anyway we've had a big thread leading up to the show but now that the show in on, nobody here is apparently watching it!

by Anonymousreply 250September 8, 2021 4:29 PM

Margo Martindale always understands the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 251September 8, 2021 4:31 PM

This is the only Trip I care to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 8, 2021 4:34 PM

Showing Linda Tripp fat and frumpy in 1998 and then slightly thinner and mixing slimfast shakes in 1993 is such a cool subtle character choice that immediately tells you exactly who she is. Desperate for control and unable to achieve it, no matter what she tries.

Her ego is so much bigger than her. When she tells Kathleen that Bill is afraid of what she knows, she couldn’t be further from the truth. Bill Clinton doesn’t know who she is. Nobody in the west wing likes her. No one is calling her to testify about Whitewater. No one wants to hire her, nobody wants her book or her story. She’s a fucking loser, so it’s really easy to understand why she does the things that she does.

Paulson is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 253September 8, 2021 4:39 PM

R250 Don't know who you're talking to; looks like there's quite a few of us chatting about it.

by Anonymousreply 254September 8, 2021 5:07 PM

The person playing Paula Jones is perfect - the rest of the casting is terrible so far. Maybe Edie Falco as Hillary will be good. I'm a fan of Martindale and she does well with what she's given but she would have made a better Linda Tripp. I like the little roles in this episode -- Bill Pullman as Lloyd Whoever and Colin Hanks as a legal counsel guy. Still waiting to see Billy Eichner.

Read the book if you want the whole story. Toobin - whether a jerk or not - did a great job on A Vast Connspiracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255September 8, 2021 5:17 PM

R253 Did you actually just copy and paste someone else's comment from Reddit? Given they posted theirs 13 hours ago, you clearly aren't that Redditor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 8, 2021 5:18 PM

Margo Martindale is too old to play Tripp. She's great as that cunt Goldberg. I think Paulson is also great as Tripp. She definitely has the voice and inflections down.

Haven't we all worked with a Linda Tripp at some point?

by Anonymousreply 257September 8, 2021 6:30 PM

Hipsters unimpressed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 8, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote]The larger issue is that Burgess and her collaborators (Murphy directed the premiere) seem content to skim the surface with nearly all of these famous figures. Paulson’s Tripp in particular is a disaster. First, there’s the awkward, fat-shaming spectacle of a slim and beautiful actor waddling around in a padded suit and facial prosthetics to play a character who is presented as palpably uncomfortable with her appearance.

Okay I stopped reading right there. You know you won't be getting an informed review with bullshit like this.

by Anonymousreply 259September 8, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote]‘Impeachment: American Crime Story’: A Cartoonish Take on the Clinton-Lewinsky Scandal

The real people involved were quite cartoonish. Paula Jones? Linda Tripp? How could anyone give an accurate portrayal of them without it seeming cartoonish?

by Anonymousreply 260September 8, 2021 6:59 PM

I wish they just had gone forward with the John Goodman as Tripp.

by Anonymousreply 261September 8, 2021 7:05 PM

Who's more offended by Beanie's casting? Monica or Bill?

by Anonymousreply 262September 8, 2021 7:34 PM

What’s going on with the prosthetic noses on this show, did they get them wholesale?

by Anonymousreply 263September 8, 2021 8:05 PM

Beanie looks more like Dawn Davenport than Monica Lewinsky.

by Anonymousreply 264September 8, 2021 8:44 PM

She looks more like Mrs. Butterworth.

by Anonymousreply 265September 8, 2021 8:47 PM

She looks more like a fat ugly product of nepotism, taking the place of a real actress with actual looks and talent.

by Anonymousreply 266September 8, 2021 8:56 PM

R259 Same people who have no problem with a svelte Betty Broderick. They're so uncomfortable about FAT.

by Anonymousreply 267September 8, 2021 9:42 PM

God that dragged, can't believe it was only an hour.

The way that it was seemingly common procedure to get rid of troublesome employees by dumping them in the Pentagon explains a lot.

Also, Monica's apartment was ridiculously big.

by Anonymousreply 268September 8, 2021 11:18 PM

Monica lived at the Watergate, her parents were loaded and she was a spoiled JAP from Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 269September 8, 2021 11:27 PM

When Edie Falco came on for her short scene in the bathroom, I had no clue who she was or who she was playing. She looked and sounded nothing like Hillary, but also didn’t look like Falco. I thought it was just some random WH employee.

by Anonymousreply 270September 8, 2021 11:39 PM

[Quote] This is hate-watch must-see TV.

That's it! Why does everything have to be so complicated with some of you bitches? Loved Paulson's complete immersion in Linda Tripp, right down to her hunched over gait. If it wasn't for her characteristic lisp I would've had a hard time recognizing her.

by Anonymousreply 271September 9, 2021 1:18 AM

I love Edie Falco, but she sucks so far as Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 272September 9, 2021 1:40 AM

It like Edie Falco playing Felicity Huffman playing Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 273September 9, 2021 2:48 AM

Monica at Beverly Hills High School in 1989 with DL Fave Erik Menendez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 9, 2021 2:53 AM

Erik looks kind of hot in that dorky 80s suit.

by Anonymousreply 275September 9, 2021 2:58 AM

Interview with Linda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 9, 2021 3:08 AM

I thought Cobie Smulders as Anne Coulter was good. I liked the actor who played Paula Jones.

by Anonymousreply 277September 9, 2021 9:18 AM

Yeah I liked the first episode, everyone is pretty much as I imagine them.

by Anonymousreply 278September 9, 2021 12:09 PM

Beanie Feldstein Beanie Feldstein! Oy, that face!

by Anonymousreply 279September 9, 2021 12:27 PM

Was anyone bothered by the fact that they said they would meet at the food court, which is a perfect detail for these two characters, but she was seated at a public space in the mall and not at the foot court?

by Anonymousreply 280September 9, 2021 4:16 PM

The Ryan Murphy FX series about Monica Lewinsky and Bill Clinton failed to score 1 million viewers on Tuesday night. The total came in at 916,000.

Since FX is not pay cable but on most cable systems automatically, this is a very low number. “Impeachment” didn’t come close to other Murphy series like “The People vs. OJ Simpson.” Another Murphy series, “Feud,” about the tug of war between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, started with 2.26 million viewers for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281September 9, 2021 8:09 PM

Perhaps the second season "Bill on Epstein Island" will do better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282September 9, 2021 8:14 PM

I hope we get to see Linda Tripp doing naked aerobics.

by Anonymousreply 283September 9, 2021 8:16 PM

I wonder if they factor in DVRs. I know I DVR’d it and will binge watch when it’s done.

by Anonymousreply 284September 9, 2021 8:51 PM

SIMON!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285September 9, 2021 9:01 PM

In R276's video, it's so sad when she says "I didn't even know how ugly I was until I saw myself on TV!" while sporting a bizarre new face with swollen shiny lips. Seemed really pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 286September 9, 2021 9:28 PM

The real Monica got ugly when she opened her mouth. What a yenta.

by Anonymousreply 287September 9, 2021 10:34 PM

R10, you must be unfamiliar with the NY Times.

by Anonymousreply 288September 9, 2021 10:39 PM

The media loved this scandal for the obvious salaciousness, but there also wasn't a lot going on back then.

by Anonymousreply 289September 10, 2021 12:47 AM

No one is watching this shit. lol

by Anonymousreply 290September 10, 2021 3:48 AM

Well, I can say that about Monica as a producer: Either she has low self-esteem, or she was extremely accommodating about the actor choice for her portrayal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291September 10, 2021 4:02 AM

You know, I thought about who could have played Monica. And while Beanie is heavier than she was, I think she has pretty much captured her essence thus far. So, I don't know what the problem is. Beanie is a rising star and the casting kind of makes sense. Perhaps Monica wasn't as concerned with the weight of the actress playing her as much as some of you all are.

Sarah Paulson added a few kgs, but she's wearing padding Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 292September 10, 2021 4:07 AM

The problem is - it beggars belief that a Beanie would've enticed Bill in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 293September 10, 2021 4:53 AM

I didn’t realize it aired because some ads were saying Thursday. I kind of stumbled onto it on Apple. I liked it. Critics always have a hate boner for Murphy shows so I never take them too seriously. I thought it was interesting and compelling. The only thing I didn’t like was them showing Vince Foster’s suicide. There is still a lot of bipartisan suspicion following his death so I thought it was disingenuous of them to depict something that could very well be a murder. It would’ve been easy to just announce it in the following scene.

by Anonymousreply 294September 10, 2021 6:11 AM

Linda Tripp's daughter talks about the show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295September 10, 2021 2:08 PM

Did Monica go to high school with Angelina Jolie?

by Anonymousreply 296September 10, 2021 7:30 PM

I don't know exactly why, but I've been giggling at R80 s post for ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 297September 10, 2021 7:43 PM

Cobie Smulders nailed Ann Coulter's voice and mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 298September 10, 2021 8:01 PM

Monica Lewinsky describes her profession as 'activist'. Her activism: blow jobs for every one!

by Anonymousreply 299September 11, 2021 12:19 AM

Linda Tripp was a dead ringer for Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 300September 11, 2021 5:22 AM

[quote]Perhaps Monica wasn't as concerned with the weight of the actress playing her as much as some of you all are.

Monica was actually much prettier than this Beanie person. You don't want someone better looking playing you. Monica is no fool.

by Anonymousreply 301September 11, 2021 5:25 AM

Beanie should have traded roles with whoever was playing Linda Tripp.

by Anonymousreply 302September 11, 2021 5:33 AM

R300 she did look like Trump in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 303September 11, 2021 5:38 AM

I thought I'd hate it - given the reviews - but I actually liked it.

I thought Paulson was pretty fantastic. Don't know how accurate it is, but Tripp comes off as such a horrible, cloying person. I loved that.

Fun fact: The scandal broke on my 21st birthday. I was in Las Vegas with my very hot, much older fire fighter boyfriend. He got me an eight ball of cocaine (he wouldn't do it, more for me!) and then he fucked me for hours and hours. And then again.

Good times. I was the gay Monica! Sort of.

by Anonymousreply 304September 11, 2021 8:28 AM

R294, Are you kidding me?! There is NO "bipartisan suspicion" about this death, you disingenuous MORON REPUBLICAN.

Ken Starr himself investigated The Case of Vince Foster and conclusively agreed with the PREVIOUS 6 INVESTIGATIONS---that Foster did, indeed, die by suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 11, 2021 8:48 AM

Monica was NEVER this fat or ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 11, 2021 9:30 AM

Yeah, and Linda Tripp wasn't as skinny or attractive as Sarah Paulson. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 307September 11, 2021 10:40 AM

No none gets convicted in these “crime” stories.

by Anonymousreply 308September 11, 2021 11:18 AM

Linda Tripp's son-in-law is a hot motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 309September 11, 2021 11:34 AM

[quote]Monica was actually much prettier than this Beanie person. You don't want someone better looking playing you. Monica is no fool.

Huh? Everybody would want a Chris Hemsworth or a Jen Lawrence to play them.

by Anonymousreply 310September 11, 2021 1:40 PM

R308 Isn’t that the whole raison d’etre of this series? It like a double entendre, one of the more clever things Ryan has pulled off in a middling career.

by Anonymousreply 311September 11, 2021 1:43 PM

[quote]Yeah, and Linda Tripp wasn't as skinny or attractive as Sarah Paulson. Get over it.

Beanie and Sarah should have switched roles.

by Anonymousreply 312September 11, 2021 3:19 PM

Holland Taylor should have played Monica.

by Anonymousreply 313September 11, 2021 3:39 PM

Sarah Paulson as Linda Tripp lookes like Penny Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 314September 11, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]Cobie Smulders nailed Ann Coulter's voice and mannerisms.

R298 You deduced this from her less than 45 secoonds on the screen in Episode 1?

by Anonymousreply 315September 11, 2021 4:23 PM

She had two scenes, and it was enough to deduce that she was perfect as Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 316September 11, 2021 4:24 PM

Sarah is repuslive as Linda Tripp. I wonder if her old hag girlfriend Holland was digusted by the weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 317September 11, 2021 5:52 PM

[Quote]Sarah Paulson as Linda Tripp lookes like Penny Marshall.

Good because the real Tripp looked like Penny 's cousin.

by Anonymousreply 318September 11, 2021 6:58 PM

Nickel Marshall

by Anonymousreply 319September 11, 2021 7:02 PM

Cobie Smulders is good as Paula Jones, who was such a stupid hick with a trashy cornpone accent.

by Anonymousreply 320September 14, 2021 7:19 PM

R320 Smulders isn't Paula Jones, she's supposed to be Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 321September 14, 2021 7:26 PM

I still say Jessica Lange was all wrong for Monica.

by Anonymousreply 322September 14, 2021 7:27 PM

Sorry, I meant Annaletgh Ashford!

by Anonymousreply 323September 14, 2021 7:33 PM

What’s up with the wispy bangs, did she have weak frontal follicles or was that a look I don’t remember?

by Anonymousreply 324September 15, 2021 4:39 AM

Are the Watergate Apartments that expansive, even having chandeliers in the walk in closet?

by Anonymousreply 325September 15, 2021 4:42 AM

the casting is a CHOICE mama

what's the opposite of 'yaaas mama!' ?

by Anonymousreply 326September 15, 2021 2:40 PM

Since this thread was greylined is there a different one where the discussion is going on? Overall I’m not finding Clinton that predatory, he comes off as charming and charismatic. Even with Paula Jones it seemed he was polite, complimented her and ask for oral sex and when she declined he moved on.

by Anonymousreply 327September 15, 2021 2:44 PM

R325 The Watergate is a condominium. Each unit is decorated to the tastes of its owner.

The better question would be "Did Monica's parents really put a chandelier in the walk-in closet?"

by Anonymousreply 328September 15, 2021 3:20 PM

Beanie is hard to watch in this. Monica looked nothing like this chick!

by Anonymousreply 329September 15, 2021 3:30 PM

Beanie's voice sounds a bit childish and annoying. Most of the cast is doing well their roles like Paulson as Linda Tripp, Analeigh Asfhford as Paul Jones, and Cobie Smulders as Ann Coulter. I still kind of wonder how Betty GIlpin would have played Coulter had she stayed on the project.

by Anonymousreply 330September 15, 2021 3:35 PM

Paula's nose seems cartoonishly large.

by Anonymousreply 331September 15, 2021 5:38 PM

R329 R330 Consensus seems to be that Beanie is the obvious fuck-up of this entire ludicrous production. Most of the rest can be forgiven, up to and including Clive Owen and Edie Falco as the miscast Clintons. But Beanie doesn't look like Monica, doesn't sound like Monica, and doesn't act like Monica. It's not just a miscasting. It's a blatant misdirection of the actual human being herself. The whole characterization is wrong, regardless of the fat white lump playing Monica. The fact that ML is a producer here, and had some creative input, suggests that maybe she wanted herself portrayed as this whimpering child. Who knows?

Of course Sarah Paulson did great. She always does great. She's the fucking Meryl Streep of cable TV, and it's just assured at this point that she's good. But that won't make up for Beanie.

I would've cast Annette Bening as Hillary Clinton. She was supposed to be in the Katrina season, and might've done it better than Edie Falco (who is phenomenal, just not right here). Hillary at this time was steely and silent, dignified yet terrifying. And Annette B can pull that off in a way that Edie just can't match. Not sure who'd make a better Bill Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 332September 15, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote]Paula's nose seems cartoonishly large.

Because it really was.

Beanie Feldstein is SO FAT. She's shaped like a potato.

by Anonymousreply 333September 15, 2021 6:03 PM

Annaleigh Ashford really nailed Paula Jones' cornpone hick accent.

by Anonymousreply 334September 15, 2021 6:04 PM

Beanie is outright unwatchable. I cannot suspend belief enough to get past the President flirting with her dumpy ass, much less risking everything. She is a total miscast. Obviously only chosen because she is dowdy and unattractive as to help make Monica look like a victim. Same with Paula Jones. She was NEVER as sympathetic as this godawful series has made her out to be. She even supported “grab em by the pussy” Trump! A woman who alleges she was assaulted….suuurrre. Sarah Paulson doesn’t look like Linda, but her performance makes this show somewhat tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 335September 15, 2021 6:09 PM

Beanie walks like a fat man. And why did they put that ugly nose on Clive? Clinton never looked like a fucking monster.

by Anonymousreply 336September 15, 2021 6:14 PM

Beanie can’t even put her arms down straight. They bow out. That shit where Clinton is telling her she is beautiful and lights up a room. GAG!

by Anonymousreply 337September 15, 2021 6:44 PM

Beanie has to be wearing a fat suit in E2. She is so freaking BIG; Monica was never that big. Plus, her voice is annoying and Monica's isn't. Why the hell would Monica approve of that casting? It was great to see Judith Light in E2. I never heard of her character or remember her from the scandal, but JL is good in whatever she does. The only Emmy qualifier so far is Annaleigh Ashford as Paula Jones; she nails it!

by Anonymousreply 338September 15, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote] Paula's nose seems cartoonishly large.

It was in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339September 15, 2021 7:13 PM

The nose just looks fake.

by Anonymousreply 340September 15, 2021 7:15 PM

Judith Light is playing Susan Carpenter McMillan, a media whore conservative activist and also a raging cunt.

by Anonymousreply 341September 15, 2021 7:20 PM

R340 Of course it's fake. Annaleigh Ashford's nose isn't that large.

by Anonymousreply 342September 15, 2021 7:21 PM

Judith Light looks FABULOUS, she's had some excellent work done.

by Anonymousreply 343September 15, 2021 7:24 PM

They didn't need to add anything to Annaleigh's nose.

by Anonymousreply 344September 15, 2021 7:51 PM

Linda Tripp is such a sad pathetic figure in this.

by Anonymousreply 345September 15, 2021 8:22 PM

[quote]Not sure who'd make a better Bill Clinton.

Kyle Chandler would've been a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 346September 15, 2021 8:25 PM

Who wouldn't want to suck Kyle Chandler's dick?

by Anonymousreply 347September 15, 2021 8:27 PM

Bill Clinton looks 70 years old in this.

by Anonymousreply 348September 15, 2021 8:28 PM

I'm enjoying this. I like to think that with Monica as a consultant, we can assume the banter depicted between her and Bill is how it actually, uh, went down.

by Anonymousreply 349September 15, 2021 9:26 PM

R349 Yeah. I doubt their exchanges were as mutually affectionate as she wants us to believe. It was just easy head for him. She was a fun distraction from stress. She makes it sound like it was love. The fat that she even told him that is just unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 350September 15, 2021 9:39 PM

R349 please. She's doing everything she can make herself look good (casting aside).

Bill should be offended by Beanie's casting.

by Anonymousreply 351September 15, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote]She makes it sound like it was love.

She was nothing more than a cumdumpster for him.

by Anonymousreply 352September 15, 2021 9:45 PM

He was a professional seducer, though.

by Anonymousreply 353September 15, 2021 9:47 PM

Who could resist this vixen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354September 15, 2021 9:55 PM

She looks like Tiny Tim.

by Anonymousreply 355September 15, 2021 9:58 PM

Nice touch, Linda's Lean Cuisines.

by Anonymousreply 356September 15, 2021 9:59 PM

I don’t mind anyone in the cast. And I didn’t realise that Colbie Smoulders could convincingly play a role outside of How I Met Your Mother.

I didn’t mind the first episode, but the second instalment was draining. The writing and direction are quite poor. Lewinsky wanted to take back the narrative, but she’s doing it in a way that is very dull. The obvious way they’re trying to make her out to be like a wide-eyed, innocent little girl may be part of the truth, but it isn’t very interesting. There doesn’t seem to be any complexities that we got to see in the first two seasons.

I wonder if we get to see hot Ryan the son, now that we saw the daughter (Allison?).

by Anonymousreply 357September 15, 2021 10:07 PM

Clinton was the 3rd married man she had a thing with (that she's admitted to). Deer in the woods she was not.

by Anonymousreply 358September 15, 2021 10:12 PM

Anyone know what the best, juiciest book on the whole Bill-Monica mess would be? Not Monica's book with Andrew Morton.

by Anonymousreply 359September 15, 2021 10:15 PM

[quote]Clinton was the 3rd married man she had a thing with (that she's admitted to). Deer in the woods she was not.

Ah okay. I didn't realise. That should be in the project as well. The character is coming across as very one-dimensional.

by Anonymousreply 360September 15, 2021 10:31 PM

Monica had a longterm affair with one of her teachers (after she graduated), some other man she's never named, and then Clinton. She liked married dick.

by Anonymousreply 361September 15, 2021 10:37 PM

She also originally intended to stalk George Stephanopoulos, but he was out of her league. He was a young, attractive eligible bachelor at the time. He had too many better options. Bill, on the hand, couldn’t be as picky.

by Anonymousreply 362September 15, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote] Anyone know what the best, juiciest book on the whole Bill-Monica mess would be?

"A Vast Conspiracy" by Jeffrey Toobin

by Anonymousreply 363September 15, 2021 11:20 PM

Bill is portrayed as so malevolent.

by Anonymousreply 364September 16, 2021 1:05 AM

[quote]She also originally intended to stalk George Stephanopoulos, but he was out of her league.

And gay.

by Anonymousreply 365September 16, 2021 1:08 AM

It’s a big bore.

by Anonymousreply 366September 16, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] Bill is portrayed as so malevolent.

He is.

by Anonymousreply 367September 16, 2021 1:39 AM

I don't think Bill Clinton is being portrayed as malevolent so much as thoroughly selfish and manipulative. A tryst with Monica gives him an ego fix he thinks he needs whenever it happens, so as to help him bear with his political problems. But of course he is completely stringing her along in the process, even though he seems aware that he is using her neediness to serve his own ends.

So far I've been incredibly impressed by the cast. Sarah Paulson has Linda Tripp down pat, even to capturing the odd mannerisms she used to do with her hands on television. She really makes you understand what a deeply embittered and power-hungry person she was. Cobie Smulders is perfect as Ann Coulter: she's got her timing down pat, and I love her creepy over-luxurious hairdo, which was especially funny when she sneered at Paula Jones's first appearance on TV saying, "That HAIR!" And Judith Light just lit up the room at her entrance--she's hilarious and a complete ball of fire.

I'm mixed about both Annaleigh Ashford's and Beanie Feldstein's portrayals.

In Annaleigh's case, I think she's absolutely terrific (there's nothing cartoonish whatsoever about her performance, which you can't say about Taran Killam's as her husband), but I honestly have trouble accepting this miniseries' portrayal of Paula Jones as guileless and innocent. That just doesn't accord with what I know about Jones. Maybe things will change with her character as the story goes on, though.

The problem with Beanie Feldstein is not her performance, because I do think she captures the naiveté and bubbliness that made Lewinsky so apparently appealing to so many people in her life. But Feldstein's different weight profile than Lewinsky's is distracting, especially since the directors are (very intelligently) making the women's relationship to food so crucial to what we see. It was important to what actually happened that both Tripp and Lewinsky worried about their weights and bonded over that; but it was crucial to the dynamic of their relationship in real life that they both thought Monica was overweight but still attractive to men, while Tripp praised Monica's physical attractiveness and claimed she herself was over being attractive to men because she was obese. This just doesn't make any sense when the actress playing Monica is visibly much heavier than the actress playing Linda.

by Anonymousreply 368September 16, 2021 4:46 AM

R36 always the hurricane blowing

by Anonymousreply 369September 16, 2021 4:56 AM

The problem with Beanie, at least for me, isn't her weight or lack of beauty. That cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me.

She's just a lightweight (ha) compared to Sarah. It's the old chess v checkers dichotomy. It takes away from every single scene they have together. An amateur and a pro attempting to go toe to toe never works.

I really like the first episode and was totally bored by the second. Not even Judith Light interested me.

by Anonymousreply 370September 16, 2021 5:31 AM

Beanie is so miscast.

Monica wasn't an aspie uggo Jonah Hill in a wig monster. She was pretty, albeit plump.

by Anonymousreply 371September 16, 2021 6:10 AM

Ann Cunter wishes she was as beautiful as Cobie.

by Anonymousreply 372September 16, 2021 6:13 AM

Did anyone else catch that it was George Conway in that scene with Ann Coulter where she's calling the Republicans losers? I had totally forgotten that he was involved in all of this nonsense. He's always been a shady asshole, I've never trusted him. But Cobie Smulders is nailing uber cunt Ann Coulter.

I do find the Paula Jones stuff really entertaining (as I did back in the 90s), especially when she gets her makeover and Susan Carpenter McMillan tells the salesgirl Paula's dumb as a post. Which she was. Beanie is terribly miscast as Monica.

by Anonymousreply 373September 16, 2021 6:42 AM

Fuck Paula Jones! She is an ugly, lying cunt. Bought and paid for by the GOP. She gave a description of his cock that didn’t even match what his actual penis looks like. There were witnesses in her own family that called her out for lying to get money.

by Anonymousreply 374September 16, 2021 7:48 AM

That weird thing where Monica lifted her blouse and jacket and hyped up her panties so that Clinton could see when he passed, is that really a thing woman do, besides in the Red Light district? It was very creepy and disturbing, not sexy at all. Do men find that sexy?

by Anonymousreply 375September 16, 2021 1:45 PM

Obviously, Linda with the Christmas decorations at the antique mart was foreshadowing, but did it remind anyone else of Mia Farrow in the Great Gatsby when she clutches those shirts after Redford throws them all up in the air and murmurs “Such, beauuuuuutiful shirts!”

by Anonymousreply 376September 16, 2021 1:51 PM

Just watched the first episode. I'm into this! Fun camp.

But I'm not feeling Beanie as Monica. (Who else could have played her?) She comes across as too short. Is Monica Lewinsky really that short?

by Anonymousreply 377September 16, 2021 2:17 PM

I couldn’t really remember Paula Jones, but I love how they make her and her husband look like backwater hucksters. Politics really is just a collection of the shittiest people on earth.

by Anonymousreply 378September 16, 2021 2:22 PM

Anyone playing those worthless twats Kathleen Willey and Juanita Broaddrick?

by Anonymousreply 379September 16, 2021 2:31 PM

How many Emmys and Golden Globes is this gonna get?

by Anonymousreply 380September 16, 2021 2:36 PM

I really want the country music star who sings about Applebee’s, to do a follow up song called “Fancy, Like Dillards” as an ode to Paula.

by Anonymousreply 381September 16, 2021 2:40 PM

So, the structure of this one is completely different from the OJ one which really told the story through the lens of the actual trial. This ones been loading all the exposition up front and we haven’t even started the trial yet. It doesn’t seem on brand and sticking to the format.

by Anonymousreply 382September 16, 2021 2:47 PM

I think Paulson is doing excellent as Tripp - playing her the way i always suspected she was.

by Anonymousreply 383September 16, 2021 2:50 PM

Loved the Toobin book. Can't wait for Paula Jones "blow job boys" to be introduced. They're three guys Paula knew and blew who decided to make some money from their brush with fame.

by Anonymousreply 384September 16, 2021 3:20 PM

Sarah Paulson is doing a great job capturing the cuntiness of Linda Tripp, who thinks she's the smartest one in the room but ultimately is pathetic, eating her tv dinners alone every night.

by Anonymousreply 385September 16, 2021 3:22 PM

Yeah, you always got this sense that Linda was one of those people who thought they were the most invaluable, and when they found out they weren’t, they went scorched earth. Although I think in her case she thought this all would make her a hero. There’s one of them in every workplace - subversive toxicity, makes you think the place would fall apart without them, seething at those advancing around them, always threatening to quit as if anyone cared…

by Anonymousreply 386September 16, 2021 4:00 PM

It was cool seeing Rae Dawn Chong again. She looks great.

by Anonymousreply 387September 16, 2021 4:19 PM

Everybody has worked with a Linda Tripp at some time in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 388September 16, 2021 4:51 PM

R388 And there are a few on here as well.

by Anonymousreply 389September 16, 2021 4:53 PM

D for Dud? You mean Milk Duds? Gimme all the Milk Duds!

by Anonymousreply 390September 16, 2021 4:58 PM

One problem with the government bureaucracy is that it's EXTREMELY hard to get rid of people who are crazy troublemakers like Linda Tripp. They are typically promoted to another agency (like Linda, being moved to the Pentagon and given a $20K a year raise) because nobody wants to deal with going through the documentation process of getting them fired/removed. Much easier to just send them away to another part of the government.

I've contracted with federal agencies for decades and seen this happen repeatedly. (And I'm not some conservaturd who thinks we should drown government in a bathtub, just pointing out the problem so don't even go there trolls).

by Anonymousreply 391September 16, 2021 6:49 PM

The heavy girl from Euphoria is a beauty like Monica but she seems like a real flake and not able to act at all even worse than Beanie. I have no clue who could play Monica.

by Anonymousreply 392September 16, 2021 6:59 PM

A young Sara Ramirez could have.

by Anonymousreply 393September 16, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote] The heavy girl from Euphoria is a beauty like Monica

Was Monica really a beauty?

by Anonymousreply 394September 16, 2021 7:03 PM

Ann Coulter has written about her outrage at that tramp Paula Jones.

Ann and her team of actual attorneys spent years of pro-bono work on Paula Jones, only to watch her piss it all away with pornos and celebrity boxing on Fox. She regrets ever helping her.

by Anonymousreply 395September 16, 2021 7:05 PM

R394 See for yourself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396September 16, 2021 7:09 PM

The media loved getting back at Bill, who had not been 100% forthcoming to them about Gennifer Flowers.

by Anonymousreply 397September 17, 2021 1:12 AM

I was very surprised to read that Linda Tripp's daughter likes the way her mother is being portrayed on this show, because it's not a flattering portrayal at all.

by Anonymousreply 398September 17, 2021 2:15 AM

I remain so impressed with Sarah Paulson. Her Linda Tripp is the quintessence of all the bitchy overweight office managers obsessed with petty wrongs and slights we've all worked with.

by Anonymousreply 399September 22, 2021 5:35 AM

Taran Killam alternates in this series between looking doughy and looking hot.

by Anonymousreply 400September 22, 2021 6:16 AM

The series seems a little bogged down about now--we've not even come to Linda's taping of Monica's phone calls, or the blue dress. Just as Monica and Linda found the Pentagon unbelievably dreary and depressing, the scenes shot there are a real downer.

by Anonymousreply 401September 22, 2021 6:31 AM

I'd forgotten about those crap microwave foods like Lean Cuisine, they were quite popular in the 90s. They were supposed to be "healthy" but were actually some of the worst garbage you could eat.

by Anonymousreply 402September 22, 2021 6:52 AM

I am really liking this and I was sure I was going to hate it. Maybe because I was teenager during all of it, so it feels nostalgic?

Beanie is woefully miscast, but Sarah is killing it so much. I think this might be her best performance. I am both reviled by Linda and, strangely, on her side. I get why she's the way she is and I can't help but feel empathy. Which is bizarre!

by Anonymousreply 403September 22, 2021 8:04 AM

Showing the old photos of Monica confirms she had a lot of work done. It isn't just weight loss and makeup. The jaw is more sculptured and the nose is less piglike and the eyes are more defined. Maybe some of it is done with collagen and botox. There are articles in UK papers from 2014 saying she was planning a makeover. The VF piece came out in 2014.

She relaunched a pretty version of herself amid a campaign to make herself into a martyr.

No one denies that Clinton was at fault. Democrats were furious at him for showing such poor judgment. But making Monica into a victim is ridiculous. She launched her bag line. She was a Jenny Craig spokesperson. She was in the running for a gig at The View. She was hardly shunned.

by Anonymousreply 404September 22, 2021 8:18 AM

Paulson expertly captures that blend of disgust and salaciousness that seemed to drive Tripp, and others like her. She treats the Clinton scandals much the same way she treats her annoying cubicle mate or the printer running out of ink, as if they are all just annoying bureaucratic developments to endure. But of course she secretly likes these situations, be it the annoyance of arranging a tour for Major Dad or the annoyance of being tracked by a reporter, because they make her feel important. Like the cool girl, for the first time in her life. Paulson is embodying all of that with incredibly specificity.

by Anonymousreply 405September 22, 2021 2:48 PM

I'm sorry this isn't getting more critical buzz--it is slowly paced, but it is very well acted.

I would actually like Beanie Feldstein if she looked more like Monica--she has the qualities I remember from Monica's Barbara Walters interview: the sweetness, the self-centeredness, the insecurity, the deludedness.

by Anonymousreply 406September 22, 2021 5:51 PM

The show is doing a good job to explain Linda Tripp's motivations. She was a bitter sad sack who wanted to be "important."

by Anonymousreply 407September 22, 2021 6:49 PM

The only real issue I still have is Beanie as Monica. She really looks nothing like Monica did, and I can't get used to it like I did with Tripp & Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 408September 22, 2021 9:59 PM

This week's episode had a couple of scenes that could win Paulson the Emmy. I don't mind Beanie. I think she's a good actress, and she looks enough like Monica. I just get distracted by her height; she's so much shorter than the other actors. They should have put her on heals.

I think the actress playing Ann Coulter is doing a great job. Last night we also saw the Laura Ingraham. (Ann took her date to a party at Laura's house, and while they were waiting to be let in, Ann told her date that Laura is a lesbian.). We also saw a George Conway character last night.

Is this series going to include the trial? Will we see a Lindsey Graham character? I hope so. I'm paying my cable provider $1.99 per episode to watch this. So far, it's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 409September 25, 2021 12:48 AM

Cobie Smulders is great as Ann Coulter (cunt!), she has the voice and mannerisms down pat. She's much more attractive than Coulter ever was, of course.

by Anonymousreply 410September 25, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] Is this series going to include the trial? Will we see a Lindsey Graham character? I hope so.

It would be extremely unlikely since Lindsey Graham was not elected to the US Senate until 2003, well after Clinton was out of office.

by Anonymousreply 411September 25, 2021 12:55 AM

R411, I hope you're joking.

by Anonymousreply 412September 25, 2021 4:09 AM

Judith Light is bad casting for Susan Carpenter-McMillan-the real lady was a pint sized viper. Kristin Chenoweth would have been a far better choice.

by Anonymousreply 413September 25, 2021 8:38 PM

Paula Jones really loved being in the limelight, and all the attention.

by Anonymousreply 414September 25, 2021 10:37 PM

Where did all of Susan Carpenter McMillan's money come from? There's very little info about her online, and she disappeared after the Clinton years.

by Anonymousreply 415September 25, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote] Kristin Chenoweth would have been a far better choice.

But you've forgotten KC cannot act in front of a camera--she's far too broad. Like Carol Channing, her mugging is best seen from quite a distance.

by Anonymousreply 416September 25, 2021 11:00 PM

I love that Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 417September 25, 2021 11:45 PM

When Monica was at the Pentagon, she had an affair with a married senior official an had an abortion. That little tidbit isn't as well-known.

by Anonymousreply 418September 25, 2021 11:48 PM

R418, was it a pro-life republican?

by Anonymousreply 419September 25, 2021 11:53 PM

Is that documented R418?

by Anonymousreply 420September 26, 2021 12:06 AM

Monica Lewinsky was left deeply traumatised by having an abortion during her affair with President Clinton, her biography has revealed. The former White House intern was so depressed that she underwent lengthy therapy to try to come to terms with the termination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 26, 2021 12:18 AM

After all the horrors the US has gone through over the past two decades, the scandals of the Clinton years seem like such frivolous bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 422September 28, 2021 1:17 AM

Is any of his shit good anymore? That new American horror made me pissed. Pissed I actually watched it.

by Anonymousreply 423September 28, 2021 1:19 AM

Bill Clinton comes off pretty well in this at least in terms of Monica. He was pretty nice to her. (until Linda Tripp wrote that nasty letter for Monica.)

by Anonymousreply 424September 28, 2021 6:49 AM

nah r413

Carpenter may have been short but her speaking voice and mannerisms are much closer to Judith Light than Chenowith's cutsey squeaky style. (and she's always too tan.)

by Anonymousreply 425September 28, 2021 6:50 AM

The hardest thing about the series is that everyone involved at the center--Monica, Linda, Lucianne Goldberg, and Matt Drudhe--is so horrible and selfish.

Also it just moves incrediobly slowly. This episode tonight was just Monica whining on the phone to Linda while Linda gloated on getting it all on tape.

One thing I don't understand: why does everyone live in such palatial homes? i understand why Monica's was so huge and opulent (her parents lived in Beverly Hills and paid for everything), but why was Linda's, and why was Lucianne's?

And why is Lucianne's son mentioned but never seen?

by Anonymousreply 426September 29, 2021 5:56 AM

I’m completely confused, we are done with four episodes already and we haven’t gotten to the actual trial, isn’t that what the whole series is based on the trial and the reveals during it? What is going to be left to reveal, I feel we’re already getting the whole story? And we barely know the lawyers at all, they were equal if not more prominent characters in the O.J. one. They fucked with the whole structure and “brand” of this show, I don’t even recognize it as part of the same series, they may have well just named it something else and made it eligible for limited run instead of regular series, a more exclusive format.

by Anonymousreply 427September 29, 2021 8:09 AM

Episode 4 was good. It started off slow, but it improved towards the end when we got to the pajama party. However, the episode wasn't kind to Lewinsky. At least, it made her less empathetic.

Thus far, Linda Tripp is coming across better than Lewinsky. When I say that, it doesn't mean that Tripp isn't presented as unlikeable. But, she is also portrayed as someone who held government up with a great deal of integrity and has the walls closing in on her which results in her becoming a survivalist. Or, maybe I just find Sarah Paulson endlessly watchable.

If anything, as producer, Monica Lewinksy is "rehabilitating" Tripp's image more so than hers. But, there are still many episodes left.

In Episode 3, I thought the Matt Drudge origins story was quite interesting (I had no idea). I also continue to be impressed with Cobie Smulders. Who knew?

Also, most importantly, four episodes in and STILL NO RYAN!

by Anonymousreply 428September 29, 2021 9:33 AM

Oy vey! I should've played Monica!

by Anonymousreply 429September 29, 2021 12:44 PM

I cannot picture Beanie as a teenaged sexpot having affairs with older men. Or any men. Or women.

by Anonymousreply 430September 29, 2021 12:56 PM

Is it me or is Monica being written as an insecure gay man trapped in a woman’s body?

by Anonymousreply 431September 29, 2021 1:00 PM

Given that she had an abortion, R431, I’d say she is.

by Anonymousreply 432September 29, 2021 1:33 PM

Monica came off as desperate, needy, shallow, and narcissistic (and maybe slightly bipolar) in last night's episode. And her white privilege is off the charts--like she just assumes that she can breeze into Vernon Jordan's office and just be given a job in New York with basically no skills and a psych degree. And basically dumping all of her personal problems and neediness on everyone she encounters, like Betty, Clinton's WH assistant.

Get a grip, honey. You're not all that special. At this point I'm Team Linda.

by Anonymousreply 433September 29, 2021 4:34 PM

R433 - I think all of what you state further supports that she’s not a victim, here. She expected Bill to pull strings for her. She kept going back to the White House with this, “do you know who I am?” attitude that made her look like a desperate fool. Bill was a dog, but she knew the score.

by Anonymousreply 434September 29, 2021 6:44 PM

Last night’s montage of Linda making tapes and labeling them was unbearable.

And Beanie is TOO FAT to play Monica. Good actress, though.

by Anonymousreply 435September 29, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote] Bill was a dog, but she knew the score.

I've always thought Monica wasn't entirely the victim. I mean, she's in the fucking White House flashing her thong. I don't care if you're in the WH or you work at McDonald's, that's totally inappropriate workplace behavior. She was far from innocent.

by Anonymousreply 436September 29, 2021 6:51 PM

Why did they hire Edie to play Hillary if they are never going to show her, they could just have had a life sized cardboard cut out of her for all she is represented in this production. And I’m assuming that next week there will be a scene of Monica picking up Chelsea from school and taking her to an amusement park to ride rides?

by Anonymousreply 437September 29, 2021 7:10 PM

I think Beanie is doing a good job capturing Monica's neediness and pushiness. Sarah Paulson is terrific. I'm fascinated by Monica's Watergate apartment.

by Anonymousreply 438September 30, 2021 4:49 AM

Bill Clinton comes off surprisingly well in at least the first few episodes. He was nice to Monica and did seem to care about her at least until Linda Tripp writes that nasty letter for Monica.

by Anonymousreply 439September 30, 2021 5:00 AM

R438 People forget that Monica was a Jewish Princess from LA, whose parents bought that apartment AND her access to that internship. She never would've gotten it on merit. She got it because her father wrote the right checks to the right people, and then made a few calls.

If the White House ran a legitimate internship operation, the crazy cunt never would've gotten near Bill Jeff's droopy dick.

by Anonymousreply 440September 30, 2021 7:53 PM

[quote] When I say that, it doesn't mean that Tripp isn't presented as unlikeable.

A triple negative. Impressive.

by Anonymousreply 441September 30, 2021 7:56 PM

I hope they show the make-up sex Bill and Hillary had after all this drama was over with.

by Anonymousreply 442September 30, 2021 9:49 PM

R442, just as soon as they have it, you’ll be the first to know.

by Anonymousreply 443October 1, 2021 12:02 AM

Oh my god, I so wanted Monica to go all Godzilla and stomp on and destroy Linda’s Christmas Village reducing it to dust. She had that glint in her eye and I really thought it would happen, such a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 444October 6, 2021 8:07 AM

How could Monica be served with a subpoena at the Pentagon, the most secure building in the world, that didn’t make sense at all?

by Anonymousreply 445October 6, 2021 8:52 AM

Be warned: tonight Beanie Feldstein cries and cries throughout almost the ENTIRE episode.

by Anonymousreply 446October 13, 2021 4:29 AM

Does Edie Falco actually appear at some point in this show? Aside from the 10 seconds in the bathroom in the first episode?

by Anonymousreply 447October 13, 2021 4:40 AM

Other than those ten seconds she's only in the final few episodes, r447, after the news of the scandal breaks.

by Anonymousreply 448October 13, 2021 4:51 AM

I don’t understand how long these episodes are?

by Anonymousreply 449October 13, 2021 5:17 AM

It seems to vary from week to week, r449.

by Anonymousreply 450October 13, 2021 5:28 AM

Does anybody else get the feeling that Colin Hanks was basically hired to play the same character that his father plays in Catch Me If You Can?

by Anonymousreply 451October 13, 2021 6:01 AM

Great episode tonight.

So much of it was about how Monica was so trapped because she was such a "nice girl" (not sexually, but in terms of deportment because she was wealthy) that she allowed the Starr office and Clinton's counsel to harass her for eleven hours. It was like a nightmare, but she could have walked away at any time--she just didn't know she could, even though her father was a lawyer. But I loved her she figured out she could stand up to them a bit when the independent counsel became too over-the-top bullying--you could feel the whole thing slip away from the Starr side the moment that happened.

The scene where they let her call her mother from a pay phone in the mall, and she sees that Linda Tripp has been shopping at The Body shop was incredible. I've read that's what really happened. They never again saw each other in person for the rest of Tripp's life.

by Anonymousreply 452October 13, 2021 6:53 AM

I never knew Tripp went shopping after all of that! God, how awful.

I felt so sorry for Monica being trapped in the room with all those ghouls. What a bunch of assholes. Total abuse of power.

I wonder how all of this would play out today.

by Anonymousreply 453October 13, 2021 7:03 AM

I wonder which Broadway show Monica's family went to see that night. Peter Pan?

by Anonymousreply 454October 13, 2021 4:38 PM

I think if Monica had grabbed that guy's gun and blown away all of Ken Starr's thugs, she would've been a hero. What a bunch of awful bastards.

by Anonymousreply 455October 13, 2021 4:46 PM

Republicans have only gotten worse. Now they indiscriminately kill with disease and destroy democracy with lies. They are the enemy.

by Anonymousreply 456October 13, 2021 4:56 PM

Cell phones were few and far between back then, most people didn't have one. It was still very much a landline and pay phone world in the late 90s and this episode really showed how different that world was.

by Anonymousreply 457October 13, 2021 5:44 PM

While Trump gets away with conspiring with foreigners and open, continuous sedition.

by Anonymousreply 458October 13, 2021 6:01 PM

Phone cards and 90s mall stores like Crate and Barrell and The Body Shop--this was a flashback for me. And Mira Sorvino was great, I'm glad to see she's working again.

by Anonymousreply 459October 13, 2021 7:51 PM

I wonder if Tripp did go shopping after, or if it was added as a way to reinforce her cunty attitude toward everything. They’re certainly trying to drive home the notion that she did it out of some obligation to the integrity of the Oval Office, when I think that’s revisionist bullshit. She thought she was going to be some hero and have praise heaped on her, particularly by conservatives. It’s a bit odd that it completely backfired on her in the way it did. She’ll forever be known as a backstabbing cunt, and isn’t remotely revered by conservatives for serving Monica up on a sacrificial plate. It had to thoroughly suck for her to get used like she did by the very people she supported.

by Anonymousreply 460October 13, 2021 10:58 PM

It apparently really happened r460. That was the last time Monica ever saw Linda.

by Anonymousreply 461October 13, 2021 10:59 PM

Tripp thought she would be seen as a hero and was shocked that she became the most hated cunt in America and the butt of so many jokes about the way she looked. She was one UGLY cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462October 13, 2021 11:01 PM

Everybody has worked with or known a Linda Tripp at one time or another, that's why she was so vilified. We all know the type.

by Anonymousreply 463October 13, 2021 11:02 PM

Agree with r452 it's the best episode so far. Noticed it was directed by Ryan Murphy himself.

by Anonymousreply 464October 13, 2021 11:43 PM

As horrible as it might be to have a Linda Tripp as a coworker, her children had it worst, she’s even portrayed here as being a nasty cunt to them.

by Anonymousreply 465October 13, 2021 11:58 PM

Because she probably was, R465. Everything was about her until it wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 466October 14, 2021 12:25 AM

[quote] It was like a nightmare, but she could have walked away at any time--she just didn't know she could, even though her father was a lawyer.

I was wrong--Monica's father was not a lawyer; he was an oncologist.

I am surprised Monica did not realize she could walk away when she was never arrested. if there are two things I took away from watching "NYPD Blue" in the 90s, it was 1) always lawyer up as fast as you can, because even if they offer you deals before you lawyer up, they'll still offer you deals afterwards, and 2) if you don;t actually get arrested you can always demand to walk away, and if you're not arrested they have to let you go.

She must not have watched "NYOPD Blue. But it's amazing to me her mother was nearly as naive about the law as Monica was.

Why was the one lawyer Bennett (who was some sort of independent counsel) so over-the-top in threatening Monica? That's was the show suggested prompted Monica to start resisting doing what they wanted, and I would have thought they would have briefed him before the confrontation with her not to go over the top. Had he played things a little more lightly she might have cooperated with them right away (if this show is accurate).

by Anonymousreply 467October 14, 2021 12:45 AM

It's been interesting that in interviews everyone connected with the show keeps going on about what a heroine monica lewinsky was--but she really wasn't. Despite what Murphy and Paulson and Feldstein keep saying, the show itself makes it pretty clear that Monica was a stalker and was ridiculously naive. She knew the president was married and he and his wife had a teenaged child, and yet she kept pursuing him.

Obviously that's more to his shame than hers (since she made wedding vows to no one); but it was incredibly reckless and dangerous of her to allow herself to be in a compromising situation with the leader of the free world. Both of their narcissistic behaviors endangered his presidency.

I've always thought all of the three major players in the scandal--Lewinsky, Tripp, and Clinton--all got exactly what they deserved for being so obscenely self-centered. And so did Paula Jones, who at least got a better nose out of the whole deal.

by Anonymousreply 468October 15, 2021 5:12 AM

Monica was young and stupid. Happens to the best of us.

I, too, thought the episode was great. Loved when the lawyer started hurling curses at the feds.

by Anonymousreply 469October 15, 2021 1:52 PM

This all seems so over blown out of control over a few propositions and blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 470October 20, 2021 4:23 AM

It was r470. It was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 471October 20, 2021 4:32 AM

We’re the Watergate Apartments really that spacious?

by Anonymousreply 472October 20, 2021 5:10 AM

It seems a bit late to bring in Tripp’s children and Hillary as prominent characters.

by Anonymousreply 473October 20, 2021 5:12 AM

The Watergate is a coop and the layout and furnishings vary by unit.

by Anonymousreply 474October 20, 2021 5:16 AM

The story finally broke on tonight's episode of the show.

The show's finally exciting, with Bill directly lying to Hillary about the affair in her bedroom, and also tacitly instructing Betty Currie to lie; Linda telling her children the story is about to break and comparing herself to John Dean... and Beanie, weeping, weeping (but that happens every episode).

by Anonymousreply 475October 20, 2021 5:36 AM

As has always been said, it's a good thing Monica never cleaned the semen-stained dress. They would have completely destroyed her if she hadn't kept it to prove her story.

by Anonymousreply 476October 20, 2021 6:03 AM

R473. It makes sense. Especially with Hillary because until she learns of the affair she isnt necessary to the story.

by Anonymousreply 477October 20, 2021 10:09 AM

I'm a little amazed a mainstream Hollywood production dared to depict the Clintons in this way. And yet everyone involved surely voted for Hillary. Wha gives?

by Anonymousreply 478October 20, 2021 12:31 PM

In what way, R478? I always though Hillary’s end game was Hillary. They’re really no different than many other political leaders who treat themselves as a brand. The last thing you want to do is tarnish the brand. Bill really was a loose cannon with his fucking around. That it never destroyed them or their legacy, such as it is, is a testament to their handlers - and Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 479October 20, 2021 12:47 PM

lol Gus

by Anonymousreply 480October 20, 2021 1:19 PM

She really did look like him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481October 20, 2021 1:22 PM

I just watched the episode where Monica gets "locked up" at the Ritz. Damn, that was some good TV!

I think I'm enjoying this series because it all happened when I was in high school and was the first "adult" scandal where I was fully engaged. (Even OJ is "slightly" ahead of my time.)

I just keep wondering if Monica is satisfied with her life. This obviously destroyed her chances of a normal life, but it did give her insane fame. And what was she destined for if the scandal hadn't happened? Bougie wife. Three kids who hate her. Husband who, by now, would be on wife number 3.

I always wonder if people who are benignly notorious are happy with their lot. Like is a touch of unwanted fame better than a mediocre run of the mill existence?

by Anonymousreply 482October 21, 2021 8:14 AM

I'm finding with these ACS series that they all get a slow start and gain momentum as the wheels get rolling. I wouldn't say this is as good as the previous two seasons, but it has certainly gotten better since the rocky start. I'm learning things about all the principle characters now that I didn't know back then. Also, I really like Mira Sorvino and Fred Melamed who plays Monica's lawyer Ginsberg. I'm still not sure about Edie Falco. I guess she could be featured in the next episode (it's titled "Stand By Your Man"). She's certainly trying. Right now, I think they should went with Hope Davis to reprise the role. But, overall, I've been enjoying this since the 2nd or 3rd episode. The last four or so have been quite engaging.

by Anonymousreply 483October 22, 2021 10:29 AM

I will say, the whole thing is playing out pretty much exactly as I pictured it. Beanie's performance is very good.

by Anonymousreply 484October 22, 2021 12:10 PM

I'm not sold yet on Edie Falco as Hillary. (and I think Edie is a great actress, she just doesn't look at all like Hillary)

by Anonymousreply 485October 24, 2021 5:31 PM

The show has inspired me to read Jeffrey Toobin’s book. Jeffrey is cruelly dismissive of Monica and Paula Jones. He compares the two, writing: “They also lacked talent, learning, wit, great beauty, interest in the outside world, or knowledge of politics. The most important thing they shared was an apparent sexual availability.“

Who does Jeffrey think he is, a Datalounge commentor? I bet editors would never let him get away with that viciousness toward women today.

by Anonymousreply 486October 24, 2021 6:00 PM

Paula Jones was a white trash piece of shit who saw dollar signs. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 487October 24, 2021 7:00 PM

Totally, R487. A hillbilly meeskite desperate to seem attractive. Annaleigh Ashford is certainly doing a great job playing her.

by Anonymousreply 488October 24, 2021 8:00 PM

I went back and youtubed some interviews with Paula (who for some reason I find fascinating) and found some from Ruby Wax--there's one where they're in front of what looks like a tornado damaged town and Susan Carpenter McMillan is there too, fixing Paula's hair and basically bossing her around. I bet the showrunners looked at those clips too. The portrayal is totally accurate-she was a dumb hick (and still is one too who is a Trumpanzee).

by Anonymousreply 489October 24, 2021 8:06 PM

I agree about Ashford r488. She's doing a great job in this.

by Anonymousreply 490October 24, 2021 8:08 PM

Bill Clinton never would've stuck his dick in that pig Beanie's mouth

by Anonymousreply 491October 25, 2021 12:22 AM

R488 "Meeskite"? At least we didn't parade our lady parts on Zoom, JEFFREY. Feh!

by Anonymousreply 492October 25, 2021 1:20 AM

R486 I thought Toobin was fair to everyone - good, bad, and ugly. He was especially rough on Ken Starr and his goons and showed sympathy for their abuse of Monica; they used her naivete against her. His research on Paula Jones' life prior to the Clinton scandal make for some of the most humorous parts of the books.

by Anonymousreply 493October 26, 2021 10:40 PM

I may have to read Toobin's book now, just for the Paula Jones gossip. For some odd reason, she fascinates me. ;)

by Anonymousreply 494October 26, 2021 10:41 PM

Is this the final episode coming up?

by Anonymousreply 495October 26, 2021 11:50 PM

You wish, R495. I think there are two more after tonight.

by Anonymousreply 496October 27, 2021 12:16 AM

I don’t recall Edie Falco being this unattractive, but if they are using prosthetics to make her look like Hillary it’s not even coming close. The wigs seem all wrong too.

by Anonymousreply 497October 27, 2021 5:20 AM

Paula Jones had the most cornpone hick accent I think I've ever heard. She sounded like a cartoon character.

by Anonymousreply 498October 27, 2021 5:21 AM

Ahhhhhh, it was good to see Buddy, but his fate also makes it sad.

by Anonymousreply 499October 27, 2021 5:55 AM

I thought Edie Falco--who is a superb actress--was really hampered more by the fact that did not [italic]sound[/italic] like Hillary than that she doesn't look much like her. Hillary's strong and harsh Chicago accent is so much of a part of her I just could not believe Falco--she sounded exactly like she did as Carmela Soprano, with her natural Brooklyn accent. I wish they had hired Hope Davis instead (who played Hillary once before in 'The Special Relationship," and looks more like Hillary and can make herself sound like her too).

The person who really took home the acting honors this episode was Clive Owen. He was extremely fine in the grand jury testimony scene, showing how shrewdly Clinton played the Starr team (and secretly enjoyed doing it) while projecting honesty and transparency to the grand jury, as he had to have done. And I genuinely felt he was devastated in the little scene by himself at night next to the pool after Hillary had told him off.

I thought it was bizarre that the actress who had the silent cameo (but a good close-up) as Chelsea had such a tiny nose, when they had given Clive Owen that enormous putty honker.

Whenever they showed Monica I again found it almost impossible to feel sorry for her. She was so self-pitying, and she got herself into the predicament she was in through her own bad judgment.

by Anonymousreply 500October 27, 2021 6:41 AM

Ken Starr was such a sleaze. I wish Clinton had just punched that fucker in the face.

by Anonymousreply 501October 27, 2021 7:19 AM

Hi R500, I agree about Hope Davis (R483), but I don't think she would have taken on the role twice (unless they offered her enough money). I think Edie Falco saw it as an acting challenge and she really did put her best foot forward. But, as you stated, the voice is always more important than the look. Whilst Falco modified her voice, there is still a lot of Falco in there. Though, her work in the final scene was vaguely reminiscent of her work in Whitecaps (the fight scene of which also took place in a holiday home on the New England Coast). Tammy Wynette at the end was a nice touch.

I agree with you about Owen's acting. And I didn't notice Chelsea's nose. They certainly got the hair down.

by Anonymousreply 502October 27, 2021 9:18 AM

Nailing a distinctive accent should be basic. Tsk tsk.

by Anonymousreply 503October 27, 2021 12:42 PM

Actually, I'm watching now and Edie's accent is decent.

by Anonymousreply 504October 27, 2021 12:56 PM

There's no way of knowing how accurate this is, but the Bill Clinton in this series is certainly a pathetic putz.

by Anonymousreply 505October 27, 2021 9:13 PM

The show doesn't really capture Bill's charm and joviality, that whole Bubba act he used to do.

by Anonymousreply 506October 28, 2021 1:35 AM

How many episodes are there left? one or two?

by Anonymousreply 507October 28, 2021 1:40 AM

I'm reading Jeffrey Toobin's "A Vast Conspiracy" right now and it's excellent. Very absorbing and goes into great detail about the hatred so many conservatives and Republicans had for Clinton, ironically no so much because of his policy decisions but rather his personal life and the way he represented everything they hated about the 60s and 70s. They were obsessed. It's a fascinating study of a very interesting era in American history.

BTW, I'm not letting Clinton off the hook. His dalliance with Monica was absolutely insane and he was unbelievably reckless to do that.

Otherwise, there is nothing but contempt for Starr and the many others. What a bunch of fucking losers.

by Anonymousreply 508October 28, 2021 2:36 AM

I'm not enjoying Edie Falco's performance. It's adequate, but it just doesn't summon Hillary for me.

by Anonymousreply 509October 28, 2021 3:45 AM

Bill's birthday dinner with the Jordans on Martha's Vineyard. AWK-WARD!!!!

by Anonymousreply 510October 28, 2021 4:20 AM

The fight scene in “Whitecaps” took place largely in the Soprano family pool house, R502, not in a holiday home.

by Anonymousreply 511October 29, 2021 4:51 AM

I thought Murphy & company must have been trying for some reason to protect Chelsea by having her barely appear in the episode (with no lines), since she was at the Martha's Vineyard house for his birthday right after he admitted the affair (and did not speak to her father either). But that's ridiculous because she's now a middle-aged woman--she no longer needs to be protected.

by Anonymousreply 512October 29, 2021 5:17 AM

I don't think we really need to see some cringe-inducing scene of Bill "explaining" to Chelsea. Or maybe we do?

by Anonymousreply 513October 29, 2021 11:44 AM

Hope Davis should have played Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 514October 31, 2021 2:51 PM

Linda Tripp was a cunt even to her own kids! I felt sorry for her poor daughter.

by Anonymousreply 515November 3, 2021 4:11 AM

Taran Killam is still hot in a fitfat sort of way.

by Anonymousreply 516November 3, 2021 5:53 AM

This has been a really flawed miniseries, and it really needed enormous editing.

But there have been things in it which will stay with me, primarily Sarah Paulson's portrayal of Linda Tripp. It's one of those rare portrayals where the actor invites you both to loathe the character, but also to feel sympathetic when she gets slammed, even though it's what she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 517November 3, 2021 6:34 AM

Linda is always eating.

by Anonymousreply 518November 3, 2021 6:35 AM

And eating things like waffles.

by Anonymousreply 519November 3, 2021 6:37 AM

I wonder if Sarah Paulson will submit the "I'm you" speech scene for her Emmy reel. It was very moving and she did it beautifully, but it was still not as brilliant as her scene at her Christmas party describing her elaborate German decorations to her guests. That was the best writing in the series so far.

by Anonymousreply 520November 3, 2021 6:43 AM

The Grand Jury was fascinating. I had no idea it played out that way (or similar to the way it was depicted). Falco is trying really hard to look and sound like Clinton. It's interesting to watch Colin Hanks act, when you see a lot of his father's mannerisms. Sarah Paulson must be exhausted from playing Tripp; it feels like a monumental effort and she has risen to the occasion. Beanie Feldstein looks more like Monica this episode.

I know that lots of people piss on Monica. We're a similar age. If I had been a woman and in her position, I probably would have done everything she did. Clinton is incredibly charismatic and whilst not my type, he is quite handsome. I guess I would have deserved having my name dragged through the mud and being ridiculed by old queens on the DL for falling for him.

[quote]The fight scene in “Whitecaps” took place largely in the Soprano family pool house, [R502], not in a holiday home.

Thank you for the correction. For some reason, my memory always sets it in the holiday home.

by Anonymousreply 521November 3, 2021 12:05 PM

Monica had a pattern of going after unavailable older men in power positions predating Clinton. It's not simply that she was just so swept up by his charisma.

by Anonymousreply 522November 3, 2021 4:35 PM

Beanie looked like Monica last night except for the weight. Monica was never that huge. She was a 'big girl' but not fat.

by Anonymousreply 523November 3, 2021 8:50 PM

The grand jury read Linda for filth.

by Anonymousreply 524November 3, 2021 9:04 PM

The reading was correct.

by Anonymousreply 525November 3, 2021 9:12 PM

She got some shit for wearing a fat suit but Sarah Paulson is great as Linda Tripp. She really nails that vile thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526November 3, 2021 9:24 PM

Believe it or not but as uglied-up as she is, Sarah Paulson still looks better than the real Linda Tripp who was a hideous beast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527November 3, 2021 9:39 PM

The makeup fx department didn't capture the sharp jaggedness of Linda Tripp. Paulson's Tripp looks too soft.

by Anonymousreply 528November 3, 2021 10:03 PM

Paulson's Tripp looks like Linda after she got the plastic surgery. The original wildebeest was much uglier.

by Anonymousreply 529November 3, 2021 10:19 PM

The plastic surgery didn't do much for Linda, she was still beastly-looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530November 4, 2021 1:53 AM

Clive is not doing a great job at playing Clinton. He has gotten better in the last few episodes but he plays Clinton too menacing whereas Clinton was nothing of the sort. He was overly charming, awshucks.

To me, Clinton comes out looking better than I thought he would. He didn’t use Monica. They had a relationship which he tried to politely end which she took as go harder. None of them come off looking good. It was an ugly affair. The ones who come off looking sociopathic are republicans. You see the actual ugly, venomous, relentless, vast right wing conspiracy machine with endless money to drag them. Starr, as partisan as any special prosecutor could be, combed through every “scandal” the Right accused the Clintons of and only ended up with lying about a blowjob. Then the sick fuck prints every gory detail in the Starr Report to humiliate not just them but also Monica. And these were the “NICE”republicans.

Paulson is killing it as Tripp. Yes, she looks way too good for the actual monster she is portraying. We certainly have all known a Linda in our lives. We all hate those Lindas.

by Anonymousreply 531November 4, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] Yes, she looks way too good for the actual monster she is portraying. We certainly have all known a Linda in our lives. We all hate those Lindas.

Exactly. That's why Linda Tripp provoked such strong negative emotions in people, we have all known a Linda Tripp. I worked with a woman who was the exact same personality type.

by Anonymousreply 532November 4, 2021 1:58 AM

Once again, Dataloungers will only settle for an EXACT lookalike for someone cast in a biographical film or miniseries.

It doesn't matter what their performance is like or if they look mostly like the original person: they have to look EXACTLY like the original person (same height, same weight, same every single thing) or DL will bitterly complain.

by Anonymousreply 533November 4, 2021 2:00 AM

I don’t think Edie gets Hillary. It just does not seem like Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 534November 4, 2021 2:01 AM

Edie’s voice as Hillary bothers me more than her looks. It’s her natural accent and tone which is nowhere near Hillary’s.

by Anonymousreply 535November 4, 2021 3:02 AM

She looks like she’s playing Hillary on SNL- badly.

by Anonymousreply 536November 4, 2021 3:09 AM

I’d agree that overall this feels like the least compelling of the series so far. I was in the single digits when this happened so it’s mostly new information for me, but the middle episodes felt a bit thin with all the scenes of Monica whining about Clinton.

I think Beanie Feldstein is absolutely fantastic, but Sarah Paulsen is THE reason to watch the show. Like others have noted, she captures the spirit of this spiteful, sanctimonious type perfectly, and yet her performance and the writing has revealed a lot of nuance and pathos to her character. She’s not an unsympathetic character. I thought it was interesting that Tripp’s daughter watched and said her mom would’ve loved it! Girl lived for being the center of attention

by Anonymousreply 537November 4, 2021 3:25 AM

Linda is pathetic which is where some sympathy comes in. She’s that miserable bitch we have all known who loves to stir shit up, make fun of others because they are so pathetic.

Paulson is one of the best actresses full stop.

Clive has finally gotten more Clintoneque lately. He was way off in earlier episodes.

I’m loving the latest episodes.

Yes, these were the supposed “good” republicans people yearn for. That tells you everything you need to know about where we’re at now.

by Anonymousreply 538November 4, 2021 3:31 AM

The irony about how DC, particularly republicans, hated the Clinton’s because they saw them as middle American flyover trash. The republican base is hated by the people they elect.

by Anonymousreply 539November 4, 2021 3:32 AM

Bill and Hillary Clinton were never accepted by the Washington establishment or media. There was a lot of snobbery there, the Clintons were outsiders and "not of the right class." Sally Quinn, one of the biggest cunts of all time, was particularly vicious about them.

by Anonymousreply 540November 4, 2021 3:36 AM

They think the Left looks down on them, but they are hated by their flyover representatives in the GQP.

by Anonymousreply 541November 4, 2021 3:46 AM

[quote]To me, Clinton comes out looking better than I thought he would.

The eye of the beholder. To me, Clinton comes out looking like a weak, pathetic, selfish fool. Monica comes off very sympathetically -- no surprise, given she's a producer. I suspect the truth for both lies somewhere in between.

by Anonymousreply 542November 4, 2021 12:18 PM

Linda Tripp was every DL resident in the first few minutes of this episode, eyeing the person in the Doubletree waffle maker line with disgust and impatience. "You HAVE to rotate it!"

by Anonymousreply 543November 5, 2021 4:19 AM

Sarah Paulson has done a wonderful job making Linda a truly fascinating character. It's been a great role for her.

by Anonymousreply 544November 5, 2021 4:22 AM

R534 She's awful.

by Anonymousreply 545November 5, 2021 4:23 AM

Sarah Paulson is really incredible as Linda Tripp.

by Anonymousreply 546November 5, 2021 4:52 AM

The grand jury scene with Linda was so good, where she gives that "see how clever I am" look, but they weren't having it. Then she realized they weren't on her side. Paulson's acting is really good here.

I'm still not buying the Edie Falco as Hillary. She just looks and talks like Carmela Soprano in a Hillary wig.

Paula seemed less like a cartoonish hick in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 547November 5, 2021 6:04 AM

Hillary is coming off as so judgmental in this.

by Anonymousreply 548November 10, 2021 4:38 AM

I really thought there’d be a scene where Monica and Bill were finally together and happy.

by Anonymousreply 549November 10, 2021 5:27 AM

Brett Kavanaugh ... lol ... what a POS.

I didn't know Drudge did interviews on FOX. Lindsey Graham and Laura Ingraham "dated"? Ingraham sounds like a closet lesbian given further thought.

Seeing Jon Stewart in that clip mocking Lewinsky was disappointing. Regardless of what you think about her and "how she brought this on herself", she didn't deserve this level of ridicule and shame. And it sounds like she wasn't able to get a normal job due to her infamy. It was also interesting to see the juxtaposition between Hillary and Paula Jones in kind of a madonna/whore dichotomy. I kind of believe Jones and Juanita Broaddrick, but I also think they undermined themselves and their integrity by later aligning with Donald Trump and far-right thinking. It just goes to show that you can't trust anyone and no one can think for themselves. But, it's not like I'm "superior" to them. I still have a great deal of Bill Clinton apologia lurking inside of me.

Gaffe: that Marie Claire magazine featuring the Charlie's Angels movie in the convenience store by the Paula Jones Penthouse was from December 2000.

This series is the only Ryan Murphy venture I watch. I don't think this was as good as the first two seasons, but I still thought it was engaging and I liked it. I'm glad I watched this. Paulson is Emmy-worthy and I'd love Owen and Sorvino to get nominated. Feldstein's look improved towards the end.

I'm mixed about Season 4. Whilst I know little about Studio 54 and there may be some interesting, in-depth stories to tell, there are other scandals I wish he'd tackle (Iran Contra, Michael Jackson) and I'm weary of the celebrity top-heaviness of the subject matter's milieu. I'm not excited about it, but I'll give it a chance. I'm probably more interested in American Sports Story about Aaron Hernandez.

by Anonymousreply 550November 10, 2021 10:28 AM

[quote]Lindsey Graham and Laura Ingraham "dated"?

Yes, which made her paean to "non-effeminate men" a few weeks ago all the more ridiculous.

"Women want men to be men. Ingraham said. "All the pajama boy fans are shocked that young men are flocking to non-effeminate men like Jordan Peterson and they're especially furious that millions are tuning in to listen to manly men like Joe Rogan."

Meanwhile, she "dated" those paragons of masculinity Miss Lindsey and Dinesh D'Souza.

by Anonymousreply 551November 10, 2021 11:47 AM

Manly men like Joe Rogan- my sides! I guess being a *douchebro* is manly?

by Anonymousreply 552November 10, 2021 12:01 PM

Laura is defo lesbo.

by Anonymousreply 553November 11, 2021 3:45 AM

Earlier in the series Ann Coulter was implying that Ingraham was a lezzie.

by Anonymousreply 554November 11, 2021 4:43 AM

Linda's daughter weighed in again after episode 9. It's interesting that she loves how they portray her mom, because obviously she doesn't come off too well on the show. But, I guess at least they show her as a human being, whereas in the '90's she was exclusively a hated caricature.

If Allison were to meet Paulson, she says, “I’d probably just want to give her a hug, in all honesty.”

Thinking about what the actor has done for her mother’s reputation, Allison starts to cry.

“She has helped soften [my mom’s image] and allowed for people to have a different vantage point of what really took place,” says Allison. “Because of that, I’d want to hug the shit out of her.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555November 11, 2021 6:55 AM

Paulson was masterful, and Linda came across human, but a bad human still. Paulson has very expressive, sympathetic eyes while Linda did not. Linda is every person you hate a work.

by Anonymousreply 556November 11, 2021 10:35 AM

[quote] Linda is every person you hate a work.

True. We've all worked with a Linda.

by Anonymousreply 557November 11, 2021 2:56 PM

It’s funny that Republicans look unfavourably on Tripp, too. Without her, impeaching Clinton, whom all the same Republicans to this day continue to fire up conspiracy theories against, wouldn’t have been possible. Is it because she wasn’t some skinny, pretty blonde? Or does it just prove the disdain they have for women with any sort of power…

by Anonymousreply 558November 11, 2021 3:08 PM

Oh, dear.

The title card at the beginning of the finale read:

SEPTEMEBER 1998

by Anonymousreply 559November 11, 2021 4:08 PM

I totally forgot Monica wrote a book with Andrew Morton

by Anonymousreply 560November 11, 2021 6:57 PM

It's weird that Linda Tripp's daughter like the portrayal of her mother in this. I don't think it was flattering at all.

Linda was a classic example of a government employee who was a big troublemaker and unpopular but just kept getting moved around so she could be somebody else's problem. This happens constantly, at both the federal and state level.

by Anonymousreply 561November 11, 2021 6:59 PM

R561 It happens everywhere. They never do enough to get fired just enough to really make things unpleasant. I think Linda had BPD. I think Monica does, too.

by Anonymousreply 562November 11, 2021 9:52 PM

R561. What I appreciated about this series and Paulson's portrayal is how complex it was. Tripp wasn't presented as a black & white figure whose personhood could only be interpreted one way. The series didn't tell the viewer how to think. Some people see a sad troublemaker who brought everything on herself. Maybe even most people. I can see that in her. But, I also see a person who had unwavering beliefs into what government was and how people should conduct themselves, as well as a "reverence" for the system. I also see a person who was sardonic and completely aware of her shortcomings. Her daughter probably arguably knew her better than anyone and loved her for who she was.

As an outsider, I didn't like Tripp for what she contributed to "putting the country through." She also betrayed Lewinsky to protect herself and her crusade. Now, looking back, whilst I think the scandal was still pretty eye-rolling, perhaps it revealed things necessary to be seen about what our country was and where it was headed (and it wasn't pretty). At the end of the day, Tripp wasn't a "horrible" person IMO. There are people far worse than her. She had certain standards she held government officials to and she stuck to her guns. Would I want to be friends with her? No. Would I take a Tripp over just about any member of the Trump admin? You bet. Was she worthy of the level of vitriol she received? No. If she was my mother, would I love her? Of course. Did the series capture "the spirit" of Tripp in a way the daughter could appreciate? I can totally see that.

My mother, God bless her, is not for everyone. She has flaws that make me cringe. There are also a great deal of things I love about her. She can be a bit of a troublemaker herself. Sometimes I like that about her. Sometimes I don't.

by Anonymousreply 563November 11, 2021 10:50 PM

R563 Her standards were through a partisan lens. It warped her like it warped all republicans at the time. They lost their shit at the Clinton’s being in power. They have no issue with lying and affairs and shit when it comes to their own.

by Anonymousreply 564November 11, 2021 11:12 PM

The scene at the end in which Tripp described her lying, cheating father suggested that her motives were grounded in something other than partisan politics, R564.

by Anonymousreply 565November 11, 2021 11:57 PM

She overlooked HW’s known cheating. She was a stuffy old conservative cunt.

by Anonymousreply 566November 12, 2021 1:46 AM

r563 as an outsider I don't think you can fully understand how the Clintons made conservatives lose their fucking minds in the 90s. Bill Clinton was the first Boomer president, and Hillary Clinton was the first Boomer First Lady. But for conservatives, they were the wrong kind of Boomers. Bill and Hillary Clinton represented everything conservatives and Republicans despised about the 60s and 70s and the massive social and cultural changes that happened in those decades. They were a lighting rod for all of that because they personifies the "wrong side" of the 60s and 70s for conservatives. They were absolutely despised, more for what they represented - a changing of the guard and the ideals of the huge social and cultural changes of the Boomer Generation becoming mainstream, symbolized in Bill Clinton being President of the United States.

The "traditional values" crowd knew deep down their culture war was lost, and it drove them insane. That's it in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 567November 12, 2021 1:54 AM

R567 Bingo. They lost their minds. Completely. It was unlike anything we’d seen in politics in my lifetime. They went after them from day one with a rare viciousness. Conservatives thought they’d stay in power after Reagan. They were wrong and they lost it. They thought they wrestled the economic argument from liberals with Reaganomics, though popular, was disastrous. They saw losing both the economic and cultural issues. Their harshness on the cultural stuff just accelerated the inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 568November 12, 2021 2:54 AM

All true, r568. "The Reagan Revolution" was supposed to be permanent. It meant the end of the hippies and the feminists and the fags and the anti-war and civil rights agendas etc. etc. They worshipped Ronald Reagan as if he were the Second Coming. They thought Republicans had a lock on the country forevermore. Then Bill Clinton got elected and blew all of that away. The ideals of the 60s and 70s were here to stay, the culture had changed and it wasn't going back to what it had been before. It was a HUGE surprise and "WTF?" moment for conservatives, because they thought they'd won and then realized that things were moving forward rapidly and leaving them behind. They truly did lose their minds and Bill and Hillary were a convenient target for all their anger.

by Anonymousreply 569November 12, 2021 3:31 AM

R570 It is fascinating to look back on. I’m not sure why they were so cocky. Dems still controlled Congress and even won the Senate back in ‘86. They sure did worship Reagan like they are doing another recent president. Conservatives cannot evolve. They want to make us conform to their views instead of evolving on where people want to go. So naturally their reaction is to go nuclear on the Clintons and Dems in general, and currently, to jettison democracy altogether. The radical reaction to the 50s with the counter culture wouldn’t have happened in a happy America. I think the hypocrisy and oppression always yields an equal and opposite reaction. They never learn this.

I think they thought they regained the edge after W and the takeover of Congress. Then Obama. Then they REALLY lost their minds.

Conservative economics doesn’t work and isn’t popular. If they hadn’t stoked racial hatred to win elections our culture would be much different.

by Anonymousreply 570November 12, 2021 3:58 AM

I think it was significant within the show that early on, Linda bristles at the notion there was any foul play involving Vince Foster. Much later, she seems to embrace the notion that the Clintons had him killed, even though she must on some level have known that wasn't true.

by Anonymousreply 571November 12, 2021 6:38 AM

[quote] Conservatives cannot evolve. They want to make us conform to their views instead of evolving on where people want to go.

Exactly! The clock can never be turned back but they just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 572November 12, 2021 6:48 AM

Another nice touch to this series is that it reminds people that some of the Trump era shit stirrers got their start in the Clinton impeachment-Ann Coulter, George Conway, Brett Kavanaugh, and even Miss Lindseybelle herself, who helped get the Juanita Brodderick rape accusation front and center.

by Anonymousreply 573November 12, 2021 6:54 AM

Now we know where the Democrats' over the top hatred of Brett Kavanaugh comes from.

by Anonymousreply 574November 12, 2021 6:57 AM

Yeah. Everyone hates a child rapist. How over the top.

by Anonymousreply 575November 12, 2021 7:48 AM

R575 WTF are you going on about?

by Anonymousreply 576November 12, 2021 10:31 AM

R576 What she heard on her teevee and computer machine.

by Anonymousreply 577November 12, 2021 11:52 AM

[quote]I'm mixed about Season 4. Whilst I know little about Studio 54 and there may be some interesting, in-depth stories to tell, there are other scandals I wish he'd tackle (Iran Contra, Michael Jackson) and I'm weary of the celebrity top-heaviness of the subject matter's milieu. I'm not excited about it, but I'll give it a chance. I'm probably more interested in American Sports Story about Aaron Hernandez.

Would Studio 54 have been a better backdrop for a season of AHS?

by Anonymousreply 578December 26, 2021 7:42 PM

Just started watching this on Hulu. They did Monica dirty, Beanie is fatter and less attractive.

by Anonymousreply 579April 20, 2022 7:00 AM

I'm just the type of gossipy bitch who would enjoy a job like Linda's.

by Anonymousreply 580April 20, 2022 7:17 AM

I am enjoying it. I will admit if I was alone with him my head would get turned too.

by Anonymousreply 581April 21, 2022 1:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!