Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Any of you Old Whores Do Bud Cowsill?

I just watched a documentary on The Cowsills. It was sorta sad. Their father was a nasty alcoholic who beat them up.

According to his sister-in-law and one of his sons, he liked the pole and the hole.

And died of the AIDS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2023 11:53 PM

Mom looked fairly lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2021 9:47 PM

Everybody sing. They are responsible for The Partridge Family:

Without Bob Cowsill, there may never have been a Keith Partridge.

"Me and my brother, Bill, I think were a composite for the Keith Partridge character," said Bob Cowsill about the role that singer David Cassidy played on the television sitcom "The Partridge Family."

The singing Cowsill family, which eventually included five brothers, a sister and their mom, Barbara, in the group, was the basis for the TV show, which ran on ABC-TV from 1970 to 1974, and featured Shirley Jones as the mother of the family.

"In early 1970 a team came to us from Screen Gems, the film production company," Bob Cowsill said. "They wanted to do a concept of our band for TV. My dad wanted us to be in it, but they turned us down to be the kids in the show. It was always a Shirley Jones vehicle, so Mom would never play mom in the show. And we were not interested in TV at the time anyway. We wanted to have a band and be rock stars."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2021 9:50 PM

The Cowsills were talented. They are playing live on that clip, which was rare even back then.

Apparently, their home life was awful. And their mother was a drunk who didn't protect them from their angry father.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2021 10:27 PM

They were the real deal. So talented with beautiful harmonies.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2021 10:33 PM

Link to the documentary, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2021 10:45 PM

I love the little tambourine girl, she has the moves!

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2021 11:07 PM

Oh my my am i THAT OLD ??????!

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2021 11:25 PM

Susan was such a great little entertainer, what a natural.

She’s fat and frauey looking now but she seems like a cool lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2021 12:43 AM

They tried to push Susan as a Suzi Quattro rocker in the mid 70s but it didn’t take off. Too bad, she was pretty and had talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2021 12:51 AM

Doc is still on amazon prime

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2021 12:12 PM

They were ok, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2021 12:18 PM

Wasn’t the partridge family a real family?

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2021 12:21 PM

^ Yes and they lived in a pear tree

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2021 1:00 PM

You'd never catch one of the Cowsill boys doing this..............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2021 1:38 PM

A teen star displaying a body like that today would be a laughingstock.

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2021 1:39 PM

Barry drowned in Hurricane Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2021 2:19 PM

[quote]Doc is still on amazon prime

That isn't the doc I was talking about. The one I saw was on YouTube.

It was obviously based on the same interviews, but the YouTube one left in the spicier remarks that the Amazon documentary left out.

All the remarks about the father being a bisexual sex maniac were in the YouTube doc. Same as the aunts talking about both parents doing drugs and the father dying of AIDS. And the son's recalling how his father would say, "I don't want any of my sons being homosexuals" when he knew Dad liked the dick.

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2021 2:33 PM

Are any of the sons gay?

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2021 3:14 PM

John Cowsill is married to Vicki Peterson of The Bangles.

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2021 11:09 PM

Wiki says daddy died of leukemia

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2021 11:37 PM

Unfortunate last name and faces.

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2021 11:47 PM

I think this is the documentary referenced at R17.

This is my introduction to the Cowsills.

I don't know why I clicked on this thread but now I'm going down a Cowsill rabbit hole...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2021 11:58 PM

I also watched this...

[quote]The Cowsills on each other. Cut footage from Family Band: The Cowsills Story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2021 12:00 AM

The song at R2 is beautiful and extremely well performed. I love Susan’s animated performance on the tambourine. (Suzanne Crough on THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY should have taken note.). The young drummer is excellent as well. Who is the brother singing lead? He has a very nice voice.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2021 12:08 AM

R1, that's how women looked in 1968-70. Of course to you short hair makes them lesbians

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2021 12:16 AM

the drummer brother is the permanent touring drummer for the Beach Boys, he does those summer nostalgia tours with them. Those probably make more money than the multi-act package deals that the Cowsills have to be part of. Since they didn’t write their chart hits, and the father supposedly squandered their millions, it’s safe to say they’re regular middle class folks who count on the summer oldies circuit to make a living.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2021 1:00 AM

The audio on both of those YouTube videos linked is so up-and-down and uneven it's very annoying.

Also, the Cowsills look really unflattering and it was poorly shot. It's sad. I was much more of a Bobby Sherman fan as a kid. I never liked the Cowsills and now I know why.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2021 2:12 AM

R27, this is what it says under the video description at R23:

[quote]Warning: This is a very rough cut from my beginning stabs at making a film. THIS WAS NEVER MIXED. I no longer have access to the individual tracks. My apologies. This cut was done years ago, using Final Cut 7. The sound varies in volume. I offer it here for your enjoyment.

I haven’t watched the Amazon documentary but I’m assuming it’s better quality, the creator was kind enough to upload interviews that are not included in the final version.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2021 8:41 AM

the two younger sons were frequent coverboys on teenie-bopper magazines like Tiger Beat. The older ones, bless their hearts.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2021 9:06 AM

Here are some of the Cowsills on Joan Rivers show....Bob is kind of odd....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2021 9:16 AM

R30 It's interesting that they were all lying about their father at that time.

by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2021 3:20 PM

I haven’t watched the interview at R30 but based on it being the Joan Rivers Show I’m going to guess their father was still alive at the time and they waited until after he died to speak truthfully.

… but I really don’t know, I had never heard of these people until this thread was created last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2021 9:07 PM

Little tambourine girl is much more animated than her zombie tv show counterpart.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2021 9:20 PM

They really were masters of harmony. Check out "Hair" -- an odd song when taken out of context of the show ("Aquarius" is able to be a stand-alone song). Funny to remember how controversial hair, [italic]Hair[/italic], and "Hair" all were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2021 9:32 PM

Do all these big family groups have evil fathers?

by Anonymousreply 35January 30, 2022 3:09 AM

^^ Ya gotta blame someone for the failures in your life.

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2022 3:16 AM

Their music is pretty damn good for pop rock of the time. Groovy and psychedelic and aged well. Way way better than the crap of The Osmonds.

They are very plain-looking and I get why TV producers didn't think they could carry a television sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2022 3:22 AM

R16 Yeah Barry had a sad ending.

[quote] On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit the city of New Orleans. Cowsill, who chose not to evacuate, weathered the storm in an abandoned warehouse. Cowsill survived the storm but was in need of help. He called his sister Susan from a pay phone (Susan also lived in New Orleans with her family but chose to evacuate) and left four voice mail messages saying he was surrounded by looters and people shooting. Susan Cowsill did not receive the messages until September 2. Cowsill was never heard from again. After an extensive search, Cowsill's body was found under a wharf on the Mississippi River on December 28, 2005. His body was subsequently identified by comparison to dental records. Cowsill's death was attributed to drowning as a result of the flooding following Hurricane Katrina.

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2022 3:22 AM

The Cowsills still perform. They are actually quite good, and have a great rapport with their audiences. Who knew.

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2022 3:24 AM

I love their version of this, if anything it's better than the Four Tops. So groovy, the young drummer was just the best on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 27, 2022 10:47 PM

Cowsills , Sept 10, 2022.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 28, 2022 4:03 AM

I'm watching the documentary now and when I googled Bud Cowsill to see what happened to the POS, this thread was the first thing that popped up.

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2023 9:28 PM

I really liked their singing! Interesting documentaries on this thread - I don't need to see anymore.

I hope some folks find this thread and listen to their music for the first time. They were real musicians and singers!

And Johnny on drums was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2023 10:18 PM

Bad Girls

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2023 10:33 PM

Loved their single Indian Lake. It was fun and jangly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2023 10:46 PM

In the clip at R2, Mama looks like a cross between DL icon, Geri Blanck and DL icon Frieda Claxton!

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2023 11:04 PM

The Cowsills at the Playboy Mansion. One of them was married to a Bunny.

Barry was a good looking kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2023 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!