Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Need some fresh ideas for casserole recipes

What are your favorites? It’s nearly casserole season - let’s share our favorites. Main dishes, sides, salads. Is there such a thing as a dessert casserole?

Love broccoli rice casserole and eggplant casseroles. My local diner used to serve these. I’d love to recreate the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 169October 18, 2021 12:10 AM

Weigh down your colon with this tasty and sticky casserole!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2021 4:57 PM

Lasagne.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2021 4:58 PM

We ate a lot of Mock Lasagna in my family. It has all the taste and gooey goodness of real lasagna, but takes a fraction of the time. Also, you can just dump in anything in your pantry, including whatever noodles you happen to have.

We were poor, but we had love!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2021 5:00 PM

I like sauerkraut casserole. You sauté an onion, throw in the sauerkraut, a small grated potato, some liquid and bouillon and let it simmer for a bit, then add ham if you like, dump it in a dish, cover with leftover mashed potatoes and throw on some Gouda and put it in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2021 5:04 PM

R4 Sauerkraut gives me gas!

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2021 5:07 PM

I assumed at first that this was another Greg post. Then I realized he never asks for recipes, and also that no prunes have been mentioned.

BTW, the Mock Lasagna sounds delicious and practical, R3.

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2021 5:13 PM

This was one of my favorites, I don't include all those ingredients because some of them I don't care for, it is a lot like Lasagna but with more cheese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2021 5:15 PM

Not the best looking, but its very good. I make a few times a year when the weather gets cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2021 5:19 PM

Cod, tomatoes and prunes. Bake until done.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2021 5:20 PM

R9 spends his Saturday nights on the can!

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2021 5:36 PM

[quote] I assumed at first that this was another Greg post. Then I realized he never asks for recipes[.]

No, he only wants to talk about his own recipes and receive ego strokes.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2021 5:46 PM

Another vote for r7's recipe. Johnny Marzetti casserole is very filling and tastes good.

I love breakfast casseroles and make them the night before. This is a sausage cheddar bread one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2021 6:05 PM

R4 Sauerkraut casserole looks good! thanks

My mom got this recipe from a coworker when we were growing up. It's been family staple ever since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2021 6:10 PM

Good old tuna casserole.

Bechamel sauce using provolone - good taste and consistency

Diced onion, red & yellow sweet peppers

Tuna

Any kind of funny shaped pasta - I prefer bow ties

Bake 350 for 25 minutes.

I almost never top it with something but you can

Should last 4 days as a side dish. And you can nibble it throughout the day with little dishes heated in the microwave.

Oh a a little squeeze of lemon on it.

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2021 6:17 PM

Following

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2021 6:24 PM

This is a great brunch casserole. Serve it with a simple green salad. And yes, everyone will need a nap after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2021 6:24 PM

I love this cute little pocket gay and his recipes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2021 6:25 PM

I hate cheese and chicken mixed together.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2021 6:27 PM

R18 that's no recipe.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2021 6:31 PM

Scalloped potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2021 6:54 PM

I’m embarrassed to say that my husband LOVES a casserole called “Preacher’s Delight” that I found on Cook’s Illustrated’s website.

I call it “HilbillyvLasagna” - I have to admit, its not terrible. The link is to a non-paywalled recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2021 8:57 PM

Maybe a savory bread pudding like this Croque Monsieur one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2021 12:18 AM

1 tablespoon of salt 2 pounds of butter 3 pounds of flour 6 eggs 7 cloves of garlic Blend for 2 minutes Pour into baking tray and cook at 420 degrees for 35 minutes

by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2021 11:57 AM

Spinach rice casserole:

Mix 3 cups cooked rice, one defrosted 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, 3 chopped shallots, 4 tablespoons melted butter, 8 ounces grated cheddar and salt and pepper together in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk 1 cup milk and 4 eggs together. Pour over the rice and spinach mixture and stir to combine.

Pour into a greased casserole and top with another 4 to 6 ounces grated cheddar. Bake 350F for 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2021 12:07 PM

I like the combo, but it sounds like it might be a bit watery

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2021 12:10 PM

I like to make a Ratatouille casserole. Take 2-2&1/2 lbs or so of Eggplant,and Zucchini, salt well and lay on paper towels or spatter screens, cover with towels and place a few heavy plates on top. Leave tor an hour ot two. Meanwhile, prep your peppers, onions, and garlic as finely chopped as you like. Rinse salt from Eggplant & Zuchinni, and dry well.

Take a few peppers, a Poblano is nice to include, an onion, three or four cloves of garlic, and sautée well.

You can shallow fry the Zuchinni and Eggplant as you would do for baked Melanzane, yet I prefer baking in the oven on a sheet pan on lightly oiled parchment @350* for 15-20 min, I spray the tops with Olive oil as well.

Place a layer of tomato sauce down in casserole, then shingle the Eggplant and Zucchini in a layer, followed by the Garlic, Onion, and Pepper mixture. Dust with grated Parmiggiano, or Romano, then layer with tomato sauce, and another dusting of cheese... repeat until casserole is filled. You can top with Mozzarella if you like lots of cheese. I would do this toward the last 10-15 min of baking.

Bake @350* for 40-45 min. If you like the cheese on top to brown, place under broiler last 10-15 min. I like to include fresh Thyme, and a lesser amount of dried Marjoram in the sauce. I've made this with a jarred three cheese sauce, and it turned out well. This freezes well, and reheats well. A versatile side dish, or a main suitable for vegan and vegetarian friends. Goes well with baked white fish and garlic bread.

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2021 4:00 PM

^ slice the Eggplant & Zuchinni about the thickness of 1/4" or a bit thinner.

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2021 4:03 PM

Layer: prepared Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice(add extra water, the rice should be soft); shredded, cooked chicken; drained and rinsed canned beans(pink, black, kidney, cannellini, pinto, your choice; shredded cheddar cheese; canned diced tomatoes(undrained) or salsa. Make two layers of each, ending with rice, then tomatoes or salsa, finally cheese on top. Cover with foil, bake 30 to 40 minutes @ 350ºF. Nice for a crowd. Great leftovers. Easily doubled.

I typically use 2boxes of the rice, 1 rotisserie chicken, 2 cans(15oz or so) of beans, half pound of cheese and 2 15oz or 1 28oz cans/jars of tomatoes or salsa.

If you wish, you can spice up the tomatoes/salsa with: cumin, black pepper, bay leaves, cayenne/Tabasco sauce, garlic or onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, paprika(smoked or regular) cilantro.

by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2021 4:34 PM

Christine Cushing's Dad's Mousakka recipe is a favourite of mine. The leftovers are even better next day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2021 6:45 PM

Spanakopita casserole. Sorry, I have no tried-and-true recipe to post. Spanakopita is probably labor-intensive, but you could use some of the elements to make an easier casserole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2021 7:16 PM

R30 Looks delicious... I have seen frozen Phyllo in the freezer section. One could lay that atop the casserole if he's missing that aspect.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] I assumed at first that this was another Greg post. Then I realized he never asks for recipes, and also that no prunes have been mentioned.

Nah, I would never be asking anyone for "some fresh ideas for casserole recipes."

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 32August 30, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote] No, he only wants to talk about his own recipes and receive ego strokes.

Yes, that's me. Just looking for ego strokes.

It must be hard being you.

by Anonymousreply 33August 30, 2021 9:00 PM

Casserole is a lazy dish. Ever seen it on a menu at a good restaurant? Nope! It’s basically leftovers mixed together to create slop.

by Anonymousreply 34August 30, 2021 9:16 PM

Probably not R33 since no else is here looking for ego strokes constantly.

by Anonymousreply 35August 30, 2021 9:39 PM

"Probably not" what, R35?

by Anonymousreply 36August 30, 2021 9:41 PM

R34 one of the best French restaurants here has a Duck Cassoulet on the menu, basically a casserole. Casseroles are typically comfort foods which is what a lot of casseroles actually are. Nothing to do with leftovers anymore though that's how they were originally created.

Figure it out R36.

by Anonymousreply 37August 30, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote] Figure it out [R36].

No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 38August 30, 2021 9:44 PM

Then quit asking dumb questions.

by Anonymousreply 39August 30, 2021 9:45 PM

Many years ago my aunt made up a casserole called chicken spaghetti. It’s basically shredded chicken, spaghetti, tomatoes, onion, green olives with pimento, and anything else you’d like to add. Then she mixed cheddar and mozzarella cheese, sprinkled breadcrumbs on top, and baked it. It was delicious!

by Anonymousreply 40August 30, 2021 9:51 PM

Yes, that is good R40. I leave off the olives (just don't like them) and add green and red peppers, nix the bread crumbs but there are several variations and it is delicious. You can do a bechamel sauce too as many of the "frau" versions call for cream of something soup and I don't like to use those at all.

by Anonymousreply 41August 30, 2021 9:55 PM

[quote] Then quit asking dumb questions.

As soon as you quit making dumb comments. If you read the comment addressed to me, it makes no sense. It's as whoever wrote it doesn't know how to write or communicate properly.

Why the hatred? Datalounge used to have nice people on it. Now, so many people seem like angry, bitter, unintelligent losers.

by Anonymousreply 42August 30, 2021 9:57 PM

Here’s another Greek casserole called Pastitsio. It’s kind of like a Greek lasagna. It is excellent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 30, 2021 10:00 PM

One for the Official Fat Whore Cookbook.

I'm not a fan of Cowboy Cookbook, or whatever Ree Drummond's trade name is, but I've made this casserole a number of times and I find it so addictive, I have to invite people over or I'll eat the whole thing within 24 hours.

I use ricotta instead of cottage cheese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 30, 2021 10:00 PM

No, dear, it's the same DL it's been since 1995. I got the posters meaning immediately. Maybe it's just you?

by Anonymousreply 45August 30, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote]Need some fresh ideas for casserole recipes

Any children in your life OP? Nieces, nephews, annoying daughters?

by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2021 10:03 PM

That hashbrown casserole, while rather "white trash", is so damn popular at potlucks and picnics. Every bit gets eaten but you can't go wrong with potatoes, onions,, sour cream and cheese. Some recipes are better than others.

by Anonymousreply 47August 30, 2021 10:08 PM

Zucchini Pizza Casserole.

(It's just me and what's his name, so I make a half recipe in an 8x8 baking dish.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 30, 2021 10:10 PM

Pastitsio is delicious! Thanks for sharing that, R43.

Many other things out here, however, look ghastly. Tater tot (hash brown) casserole? Trash. It's what the Duggars eat.

by Anonymousreply 49August 30, 2021 10:16 PM

How about a nice eggnog French toast casserole? I made this a few years ago using Broguiere’s eggnog. It was simple and delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 30, 2021 10:21 PM

Ah, but Greggie, er Defucktard, or whatever you're going by today, hashbrown casserole is filling and good and for people on a budget like the trashy ass Duggars it goes a long way. The point is trashy food is often comfort food and good despite being disgusting looking.

Sometimes cod with prunes won't cut it.

Pastitsio is good but make sure it isn't too dry R43.

by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2021 10:22 PM

R49 A friend of mine made homemade pastitsio a few months ago. I had never had it before. It was addicting!

by Anonymousreply 52August 30, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] Ah, but Greggie, er Defucktard, or whatever you're going by today

I always go by my name: Greg. It's amusing that people think I'm someone else who used to post here.

by Anonymousreply 53August 30, 2021 10:24 PM

Perhaps because they are right R53, er, Greggie.

by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2021 10:26 PM

I think I'm going to try the mock lasagna. It looks good and easy.

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2021 10:27 PM

If you’re bothering with casseroles, just order out. Come on…

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] Perhaps because they are right [R53], er, Greggie.

Er...no, not really. They are definitely not right. But thanks for coming!

by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2021 10:28 PM

The "mock lasagna" looks dreadful. Just do take out like R56 suggests. It's not that hard to make lasagna. Do it on the weekend and freeze it if you like. But that mock lasagna is sad.

by Anonymousreply 58August 30, 2021 10:32 PM

I believe them more than your trolling Greggie. A dozen DLers can't be wrong and we are pretty adept at playing spot the troll.

by Anonymousreply 59August 30, 2021 10:32 PM

Lasagna is over-rated. Never got why everyone is so crazy about it but then I'm not into the heavier sauces and pastas. I prefer the lighter sauces based on wine or marsala and lemons. Piccata is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2021 10:35 PM

My grandmother made this for us kids whenever we'd visit and it was always a hit. I make it a couple times of year now, it's classic comfort food. Even better the next day.

BAKED SPAGHETTI

1 ½ lbs hamburger

1 onion

1 clove garlic

¼ cup oil

3 8oz cans tomato sauce

1 cup red wine

1 tsp Italian seasoning ½ tsp parsley

1 tbls sugar

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp black pepper

½ lb spaghetti broken in small pieces (HALF PACKAGE)

1 ½ cup grated cheddar cheese

Saute meat, onion, garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add tomato sauce, wine, seasonings and sugar. Simmer covered for 1 hour.

Cook spaghetti.

Add spaghetti and ½ cup of cheese to sauce. Mix.

Put in baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 325.

by Anonymousreply 61August 30, 2021 10:35 PM

That actually doesn't sound bad R61 though I'd swap out the cheddar for mozzarella.

by Anonymousreply 62August 30, 2021 10:38 PM

R62 mozzarella was too exotic for Grandma Peggy in the 70s!

And trust me, try it with cheddar. It brings a sharpness that mozzarella doesn't

by Anonymousreply 63August 30, 2021 10:41 PM

When I'm feeling like lasagne, but I don't feel like rolling my own pasta, I make bolognese and besciamella, and mix them together with Parmigiano-Reggiano and half-cooked cavatappi, and bake until the texture of the pasta is right (up to a half hour; sometimes 20 inutes).

It's easier if you make your sauces ahead of time.

by Anonymousreply 64August 30, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] A dozen DLers can't be wrong and we are pretty adept at playing spot the troll.

You must not be. And just what are these dozen DLers right about?

by Anonymousreply 65August 30, 2021 10:48 PM

I said bye Greggie.

R64, I guess my biggest problem is the pasta in some recipes. Seems to stay too dry in so many recipes. That's why I prefer a simple angel hair with olive oil and garlic on the side with my veals or chickens.

by Anonymousreply 66August 30, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote] Lasagna is over-rated. Never got why everyone is so crazy about it

Well, that's because what passes for lasagna in the US pales in comparison to making it the proper Italian way—with béchamel rather than lots of store-bought ricotta and terrible pre-shredded mozzarella and bad sauce. If made properly, lasagna is a wonderful and delicious dish—not the type one usually sees in restaurants where it is swimming in sauce and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote] I said bye Greggie.

Okay, I heard you. Bye. Take care! xo

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2021 11:04 PM

What about a simple skillet lasagna?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2021 12:42 AM

Why doesn't the real Greg just check the box next to "Sign post as" and display your real name in red instead of grey?

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2021 1:14 AM

I'm a huge fan of Kielbasa & Sauerkraut (though I also add in peeled and quartered potatoes too). However, I happen to live a few minutes away from a small authentic Polish deli that makes all their stuff from scratch from kraut to cured/smoked meats, lunch meats, bigos, etc... So I will splurge on the good ingredients from there to make it.

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2021 1:24 AM

My mother made this, and it was our favorite casserole. I make it once a year and it still tastes delicious:

Roughly crushed rye crackers Shredded Swiss cheese Sauerkraut Sliced kielbasa Thousand island dressing.

Layer the five ingredients until there are three full layers with cheese on top. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes.

Tastes like the best Rueben sandwich you’ve ever had.

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2021 1:27 AM

Apologies for unforgivable formatting for the Kielbasa casserole.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2021 1:29 AM

We like to call “Todd in the hole,” at my house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2021 1:32 AM

What is this word: Cass-ah-rollay. Is this like what people who have jobs eat?

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2021 1:33 AM

Crepe style manicotti ad easy to make entirely from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2021 1:52 AM

R74, where do you buy British banger-style pork sausages ?

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2021 2:04 AM

I love for these

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2021 2:11 AM

R74) Aldi carries them occasionally. A sausage that is herbal (sage) will do in a pinch.

by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2021 2:26 AM

Thank you, R74/79.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2021 3:33 AM

R77 I've seen pork bangers at both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. In both cases, they were pre-packaged and described as "Irish Bangers." I think the TJ's sale was around St. Patrick's Day.

Call some meat or butcher shops in your vicinity. I know in L.A. Engiosh Bangers are at specialty meat shops like the one inside the Farmers Market. A small independent market near me with full-service butcher service also carries them or will order them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2021 3:40 AM

R71 I love Polish delis that make all their yummy foods! I wish I lived nearby one. Are you in Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2021 5:07 AM

Casseroles? As if.

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2021 5:10 AM

I love (my) tuna casserole, and so does my entire family. Tastes so good the next day too. I put peas and carrots in it though. Breadcrumbs and a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese on top makes a delicious crust on top.

r8 i make a version of that green chili enchilada casserole, but we called it just plain "chicken tortilla casserole" in my family. Lots of cheese and sauce and tortilla ripped up into strips. I like the green chili version (and making it really spicy) but i've also made it was red salsa as well. They both taste pretty different, but they are both delicious.

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2021 6:04 AM

When I have poblanos in the garden I’ll make this and serve with a corn pudding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2021 11:28 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE chilis rellenos

by Anonymousreply 86August 31, 2021 11:54 AM

[quote] When I have poblanos in the garden I’ll make this and serve with a corn pudding.

That looks good! What recipe do you use for corn pudding? Sounds like a delicious meal.

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2021 2:39 PM

R87 I use a recipe from the 90’s Food & Wine Magazine, I’ll post after my meetings this am. It’s really good.

The casserole I posted is a lazy Chile Relleno - it freezes well too.

by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] I use a recipe from the 90’s Food & Wine Magazine, I’ll post after my meetings this am. It’s really good.

Great, I'll definitely make it. I love corn pudding.

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2021 3:31 PM

R89 greg- The recipe is “an Especially Good Corn Pudding” you can double it w/o issue. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2021 6:07 PM

R85, thank you! I will make this sometime this week and report back. Looks so good!

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2021 6:13 PM

Angel hair fair and square

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2021 9:11 PM

R43 R49

Use Ina Garten's recipe, you numb twats!

You don't get an ass as big as hers by skimping on the good cheese!

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2021 9:12 PM

MY ASS is big already!

by Anonymousreply 94September 1, 2021 1:59 AM

For the carb lovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 2, 2021 12:59 AM

YUMMO

by Anonymousreply 96September 2, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote] Here’s another Greek casserole called Pastitsio. It’s kind of like a Greek lasagna. It is excellent!

Hi, R43. I made this pastitsio last night and it was really delicious! Thank you for recommending it.

by Anonymousreply 97September 2, 2021 1:45 PM

I'll have to try that recipe since it has met with Greg's approval.

by Anonymousreply 98September 3, 2021 12:16 AM

I put prunes in it to improve it

by Anonymousreply 99September 3, 2021 12:51 AM

This is a good recipe.. super easy, and very presentable on the table.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 9, 2021 10:02 PM

R89, if I remember correctly, that’s pretty close to Ina Garten’s Sagaponack Corn Pudding recipe. I’m sure they’re both equally delicious.

by Anonymousreply 101September 9, 2021 11:05 PM

Greg wouldn't be caught dead on a casserole thread.

by Anonymousreply 102September 9, 2021 11:24 PM

R22 I have to say, I don't really get that one. Why not just make a Croque Monsieur or a Croque Madame? Not much more trouble than making a grilled cheese sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 103September 9, 2021 11:59 PM

I just really made this. Junk food vegetarian.

A box of those dehydrated hash browns, rehydrated, a diced onion, a diced half red bell pepper, a clove of minced garlic, a half pound of mixed vegetables, and about 12 oz fake meat crumbles. A can of cream of mushroom soup, 3 oz velveeta, 2/3 cup sour cream, and a half cup of water, a splash of sherry, seasoned salt, pepper.

Mix it all up and dump it in a casserole dish. Bake at 375 for about 35 minutes. Last 10 minutes, melt 2 tbsp butter, stir in 1/2 cup bread crumbs or crushed chips or crackers, mix well. Sprinkle this and handfuls of grated cheese over the top.

I would rather make this with meat or sausage but I was cooking for a vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2021 2:39 AM

I made hamburger stew tonight. My partner loves it.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2021 2:42 AM

r105 we call that goulash back East.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2021 2:45 AM

I'm flipping my bean reading all these recipes. Mama loves her a good casserole on Caftan Saturday (sans panties)!

by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2021 2:49 AM

My hamburger stew is made with potatoes and no tomatoes, R106.

by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2021 2:49 AM

Three cups of cooked rice spread in a buttered casserole. Top that with a layer of Velveeta slices to cover all the rice.

Now sauté chopped celery and onion with a pound of ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and oregano. When the celery is soft, drain the grease and return to the pan. Add an 8oz can of tomato paste, and add water to make a nice sauce. Let it simmer a bit and add more seasoning and maybe some sliced black olives. Then pour it over the rice and Velveeta in the casserole pan. Bake at 350 until you see the Velveeta bubbling up through the tomato/meat sauce at the edges of the pan.

It tastes twice as good after it’s been in the fridge overnight.

by Anonymousreply 109September 10, 2021 2:52 AM

I'm still addicted to Company's Coming beef and corn bake.

You make it with "egg noodles". Not the Chinese kind. The flat kind. Like pappardelle. The brand of pasta my mom used to use starts with the letter "p" but I can't remember the name. Also, you can use more noodles than what is in the recipe. Should be at least two cups dry pasta that is then cooked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 10, 2021 3:31 AM

"no yolks" noodles works

by Anonymousreply 111September 10, 2021 3:31 AM

work*

by Anonymousreply 112September 10, 2021 3:31 AM

I need a casserole with ricotta now!

by Anonymousreply 113September 10, 2021 1:06 PM

Baking this now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 10, 2021 7:27 PM

The new issue of Food Network magazine has a bunch of modern, unusual takeoffs on Hot Dish. Here's Minnesota Hmong Hot Dish.

There's also Chicken Shawarma Hot Dish and Pumpkin-Apple-Caramel Hot Dish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 10, 2021 9:33 PM

My brother, a lifelong picky eater, will not eat casseroles because he says most look like they've already been eaten once.

by Anonymousreply 116September 10, 2021 9:51 PM

OMFG . please do not make that "mock lasagna"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 10, 2021 9:54 PM

Japanese homestyle cooking has dishes that are western in origins yet that are made with Japanese staples or ingredients. One of these dishes is a popular casserole called doria casserole. It’s delicious, I use more mushrooms and 2-3 varieties in the rice casserole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 10, 2021 10:01 PM

When I'm distracted by my work and commute, I will sometimes buy frozen or fresh Italian dishes meant for baking. Lasagna, for example, can be sliced in half. put frozen vegetables in the bottom of a casserole dish - Spanish or frozen minestrone vegetable or frozen diced vegetables (my favorite) sir in béchamel cream. Thomy is good. Put on one layer of the prepared lasagna. add another layer of diced vegetables and some béchamel. Flip over the top layer of the lasagna, the wine that usually has a lot of cheese and lay it cheese side on the vegetables. Pour the remaining béchamel on top of your new, extra vegetably casserole. If you buy lasagna with meet, no need to add more meat, but all the vegetables now help balance out the cheese, cream and meat.

by Anonymousreply 119September 10, 2021 10:02 PM

another quick way to have something baked and cheese - on the weekend, back some huge sweet potatoes and some huge potatoes.

When you come home from work and want something hearty, you can find all kinds of temping jarred sauces, tapenade, etc, in your cupboard or refrigerator. Add your favorite cheese that's in the fridge. bubble it up under the broiler.

Today I had sweet potato slices, wrapped in thick bacon, soaked in spicy sweet chinese red sauce. Under the broiler until is was all bubbly, with crispy bits, too.

Another - Open a jar of Mostarda di frutta that includes figs, and cut the bigger fruit in half. Place half a fruit on a rondelle of baked potato. Add some chopped nuts - they will stick to the syrup. Wrap it in parma ham slice. Glaze all the wrapped items with the mustarda syrup and place in hot oven until bubbly with crisp edges. serve in a shallow soup plate with soft Italian cheese such as burratina.

by Anonymousreply 120September 10, 2021 10:19 PM

That looks delish, will be trying that tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 121September 11, 2021 12:53 AM

You can make seafood doria casserole too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 11, 2021 1:10 AM

r115, that sounds fabulous

by Anonymousreply 123September 11, 2021 2:19 AM

This one is very good. It's a riff on moussaka. I thought it was my own bastard version, until a Bulgarian told me it is how they make it in Bulgaria. This can be as simple as potatoes, ground meat, tomato sauce and alfredo sauce, or you can do it all from scratch as below. I don't do quantities because it depends how much I'm making.

First slice potatoes, onions and garlic thinly. Layer in a casserole with (olive) oil, salt and pepper, and herbs to taste until the casserole is at least half full - the potatoes will shrink as they cook. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of white wine (vermouth), sherry, or water. Bake at 375 covered for about 20 minutes or so while you prepare the next layer.

Brown ground meat (lamb) with some minced mirepoix - or at least onions - and garlic. Add a small amount of tomato sauce or paste and water - you want this to be about the meat, not the sauce. Just enough sauce to bind the meat. Season with garlic, salt, pepper, a bit of oregano if you like, cinnamon, allspice, maybe a pinch of cloves - all in small amounts. If you were being fancy, you could make this sauce like a Bolognese. Simmer it for a few minutes. It will finish cooking in the oven.

Layer the meat onto the potatoes. Cover again and bake maybe 10 or 15 minutes while you finish the last layer.

The top layer is bechamel. Make it however you like. I usually add some sharp cheese and a pinch of mace (I prefer to nutmeg).

The potatoes should be tender before you layer the bechamel. As soon as the bechamel is combined and thick, pour it over the casserole and leave it uncovered to bake another 10 minutes. If you like a brown top, you may need to carefully broil it.

Let sit for 15 mins before serving.

by Anonymousreply 124September 11, 2021 4:34 PM

i love it

by Anonymousreply 125September 11, 2021 8:22 PM

Fresh and delicious, not a prune in sight

by Anonymousreply 126September 12, 2021 11:26 AM

[quote] Fresh and delicious, not a prune in sight

Present company excepted.

by Anonymousreply 127September 12, 2021 11:40 AM

Present company excluded

by Anonymousreply 128September 12, 2021 1:12 PM

Present company excepted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 12, 2021 1:52 PM

present company excluded

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 13, 2021 2:35 AM

Too many pasta-based casseroles here. Mexicali chicken is a good recipe. I prefer rice:

4-5 lbs. chicken 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cubed 2 (15 oz.) cans chili without beans 1 bunch green onions, chopped 1 (15 oz.) can sm. pitted black olives 1 (12 oz.) jar green chili salsa 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese Boil or bake chicken. De-bone and de-skin (I skin before cooking). Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Layer bottom of 13x9x2 pan with chicken. Mix together all other ingredients and spread over meat. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese over top last 10 minutes of baking. (I now substitute a 3 1/2 pound chicken and 2 cans of chili with meat in this recipe. And I always use a mild salsa.) Good served with white rice or for a pot luck

by Anonymousreply 131September 13, 2021 6:35 AM

Family recipe for hamburger "goulash". The white trash version I grew up with involved browning and draining ground beef, mixing in a package of Lipton onion soup mix, a can of mushroom soup with a little water. Simmer for about 1/2 hour for flavors to meld. Take the mixture off of the stove and add in some very generous dollops of sour cream. Serve over white rice.

A fresher 21st century version would involve browning the ground beef with some finely diced onion, some sea salt and pepper, a little fresh garlic, making a bit of a roux with some flour and a little milk, add water and some diced fresh mushrooms, let simmer until somewhat thickened and then add dollops of sour cream. But honestly, the top version is very tasty, if a little salty.

by Anonymousreply 132September 13, 2021 6:43 AM

avoiding the canned soup route adds some cooking time on the recipe but makes a better product

by Anonymousreply 133September 13, 2021 11:52 AM

r132 Not a casserole.

by Anonymousreply 134September 13, 2021 1:04 PM

But it is a delight

by Anonymousreply 135September 14, 2021 11:12 AM

R132 How much exactly is a little water? I've made a meatball appetizer with Cremini mushrooms, sort of faux Swedish style with Campbell's and some brown gravy which reminds me of your dish...but I added a can measurement of cream and stock. Those soups are both super concentrated...

BTW, though it wasn't called Goulash, I've seen a version of your family recipe which cooked the rice in that soup (s) mixture with the mince.

by Anonymousreply 136September 17, 2021 9:15 PM

I like a bit fo water

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2021 2:04 AM

It's a deeply held secret on this gourmet family recipe, but confidentially, I can reveal that it was an eyeballed half can of water to one cup of soup. However, canned soups are getting saltier and saltier - for instance a can of mushroom soup is 1500 mg of salt PER SERVING, and there are several in a can, so dilution is probably the solution. There are also lower sodium mushroom soups available out there, so they are worth exploring.

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2021 3:15 AM

R138 Ha! Thanks for divulging the secrets! The Onion soup is salty AF, as well, so had wrongly assumed there had to be more liquid. Sounds like it would be good after too many drinks.

The mushroom and meatballs were served to me by an older lady who threw a lot of cocktail parties. She thought the salt kept guests from getting dehydrated. She served them with toothpicks, and guests made mini kabobs with the shrooms and meatballs. Salty, but good!

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2021 4:16 AM

time to eat meat

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2021 11:47 AM

I have a recipe, too lazy to get up and look at the cookbook, but it's called "Scalloped potatoes, etc." I acquired this recipe book in the 90s and we have eaten and loved this recipe for years, although it's usually reserved for a major holiday like Christmas or Easter. It includes salmon, which i've never included because i hate salmon. The other ingredients are excessive amounts of cheese, onions, green peppers, cream sauce. I usually include carrots as well. I tried to google it, but wasn't coming up with the actual recipe. Everybody absolutely loves this recipe along with a baked sliced ham, but you could just include the ham within the casserole. So delicious. Not for vegans or gluten-free people.

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2021 12:06 PM

I haven't made this in a while. It's good for a crowd, say a Saturday lunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2021 12:12 PM

Yeah, this has been covered in previous posts. Called other things: "chicken tortilla casserole" or "chicken enchilada casserole."

by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2021 12:19 PM

Sounds a little like this, r141. It's been decades but mom used to put leftover meats in her scalloped potatoes and I never cared for it, personally. I like canned salmon for sandwiches in the summer but not in potatoes, I don't think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2021 12:21 PM

Cream of whatever soups are too salty so I make my own version when I need one for a casserole. I take 1/2 C milk and 1/2 C lower sodium chicken broth and simmer in a small pot, then add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to taste. It's optional but I like to add 1 or 2 T of unsalted butter, too.

I take about 1/4 cup of the soup out of the pot and put it into a shaker with 2 T of flour, shake it until it's mixed, then stir the flour mixture slowly into the warmed soup in the pot. Simmer it until it thickens or cooks down, probably just a couple of minutes. That makes a cream of chicken soup substitute.

If you want cream of mushroom, add 6 to 8 ounces sliced mushrooms just after you add the flour mixture.

I did a cream of celery soup this way with vegetable broth and finely chopped celery in place of the chicken broth and mushrooms, it was okay. If I do it again I'll probably stick with chicken broth.

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2021 12:28 PM

ugh 144 NO. that is not at all in any way, shape or form the same casserole.

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2021 12:31 PM

Also, we didn't use any "cream of" canned soup, we made our own roux in the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2021 12:33 PM

Don't get sniffy, r146, you're bragging about making a salmon casserole without the salmon that's also supposed to include green peppers. It does not exactly sound better than what I linked to.

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2021 12:36 PM

No, r148. I never included the salmon because we don't eat that in our house. There was NO mustard, no PEAS, no cream of anything soup. Not the same casserole. we made our own roux and included the vegetables in the recipe, which didn't include peas. So it's not the same recipe. and although i love mustard, i would never use it in this recipe.

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2021 12:40 PM

I made it real damn clear that it was NOT the same recipe, r149. You assumed I was trying to look for your recipe, but I wasn't, I was just trying to have a conversation. That was foolish of me because conversation has become impossible on DL these days.

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2021 12:50 PM

Sorry, r150. i guess i got all up in your face because you said you didn't like it and listed the ingredients that weren't on my recipe. My apologies, i think i went overboard.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2021 12:53 PM

R138, why do call a list of cans and packets a secret family recipe? It's just assembly instructions. Why are you speaking Frau on Datalounge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2021 5:23 PM

R152 I think it’s called sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2021 5:37 PM

I think it's called Semi-Homemade.

by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2021 6:01 PM

r142, we make that with leftover thanksgiving turkey meat

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote]Cream of whatever soups are too salty so I make my own version when I need one for a casserole.

so do I

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2021 6:36 PM

R145 I agree there are better ways to still enjoy these recipes without the Campbell's. Before I began to become preoccupied with sodium, blood pressure, and all that as a young lad though, these were fun easy tecipes to throw together.

I'm the meatball and mushroom poster from upthread. The older Irish woman who first served them laughed at me when I said they were great, and wanted the recipe She said there was no recipe, ."just Campbell's cream of salt, mixed with a bit of gravy!"

My new way of doing that involves the Porcini Powder below, as well as their Truffle Salt. Still fast and easy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2021 7:02 PM

I used to make a vegetable casserole that used frozen chopped spinach and frozen chopped broccoli. You mixed it with cubed Velveeta and topped it with crushed Ritz crackers and butter.

White trash cookery par excellence!

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2021 7:04 PM

^ should have typed became preoccupied, my brain has the day off.

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2021 7:13 PM

Did somebody say "dessert casserole"?

This sounds like a job for...

DL LEGEND, SIMPLY SARA!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 18, 2021 7:20 PM

I'd eat that casserole at R160.

by Anonymousreply 161September 18, 2021 11:56 PM

Yum r160. i'm not usually a sweet breakfast person but, that sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2021 11:58 PM

did someone say Auntie Fee?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 19, 2021 2:08 AM

Does anyone have a tried and true chicken divan recipe? Mine are never as good as the ones served at potlucks.

by Anonymousreply 164September 20, 2021 5:10 AM

R164 Have you tried the classic one from The Joy of Cooking?

by Anonymousreply 165September 20, 2021 7:47 AM

I have and it is divine!

by Anonymousreply 166September 20, 2021 11:51 AM

[quote] Does anyone have a tried and true chicken divan recipe? Mine are never as good as the ones served at potlucks.

I had some leftover roast chicken last night and decided to make chicken divan because I saw it here. I don't think I've ever made it or eaten it before. It was easy and tasty. I served it over white rice. Thanks for the good idea!

by Anonymousreply 167September 23, 2021 11:46 PM

This succotash casserole is a fantastic side dish--I probably prepare it twice a year. It's an old Cooking Light magazine recipe, so you can make it as-is or substitute full-fat cheese, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 17, 2021 5:27 PM

Condensed Cream of Something Soup Substitute (makes equivalent of one 10.75 oz can)

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons flour

1/4 teaspoon salt, if desired

1 cup liquid of choice*

seasonings of choice*

Put the butter and salt in a small saucepan with a heavy bottom, and melt over low heat. Using a whisk, blend in the flour until mixture is bubbly.  Add a couple tablespoons of the liquid to the roux, whisking as you add it. Keep whisking and add a bit more liquid. Repeat. After you’ve added about half the liquid in this manner, you may add the rest all at once, whisking it thoroughly as you do.

Continue cooking and stirring over low heat until smooth and thickened. Makes more than 1 cup, but not quite 1 1/4 cups, of a condensed creamy soup. You may use it as such in a recipe, or add an equivalent amount of liquid to serve as a creamy soup.

*Tomato soup: use tomato juice. Add a dash of onion powder or a teaspoon or so of very finely minced onion (sautée the onion in the melted butter before adding the flour). Some like a tiny pinch of sugar or brown sugar to counteract acidity in the tomato.

Mushroom soup: use a combination of milk and mushroom stock, made by simmering mushrooms in water just to cover. I like to use half of each. Sautee a few tablespoons of the mushrooms, chopped, and half a teaspoon of finely minced onion in the melted butter, before you begin to stir in the flour. (If you prefer, you can forego the mushroom stock and use all milk, but in my opinion, it really does make the Best. Mushroom soup. Ever.)

Cream of Celery soup: Saute ½ cup chopped celery and 1 tablespoon chopped onion in the melted butter, until vegetables are tender. Use all milk for the liquid.

Cream of Chicken soup: use half milk, half good quality chicken stock, homemade if you have it. Add a fat pinch of sage or poultry seasoning and a dash of onion powder, or saute a teaspoon of onion in the butter before adding flour. A few tablespoons of finely chopped cooked chicken is a nice touch if you have any on hand.

This can be frozen. Let the condensed soup thaw in the refrigerator, or put the frozen soup in the top of a double boiler over very hot (not boiling) water, and whisk it thoroughly, it’ll be fine. If milk was used in the preparation, heating it too rapidly can cause coagulation of the milk proteins. Don't thaw in the microwave.

by Anonymousreply 169October 18, 2021 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!