Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it time to release Sirhan Sirhan from prison?

Sirhan Sirhan has been up for parole before — 15 times, in fact. And he’s been rejected every time. The last time, in 2016, the panel concluded that he had not shown adequate remorse.

This LA Times columnist thinks it is, I disagree. The columnist thinks that killing should be judged like any other killing, I disagree because because this wasn't just any other killing Robert Kennedy was most likely on his way to becoming President of the USA, he would have changed the direction of the war in Vietnam and the direction of the entire country. It wasn't just another killing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195January 15, 2022 12:42 AM

Fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2021 4:30 PM

Shirhan Shirhan.

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2021 4:32 PM

I believe that if you murder someone, you should spend the rest of your life in prison.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2021 4:32 PM

I agree with OP. Robert Kennedy's assassination was huge, and yes, he would have changed everything. We'd be better off today. Plus the Media would have loved every minute of dealing with looney Ethel and his crazy, wild kids.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2021 4:34 PM

If they do this, I hope they arm Ethel so she'll feel safe. Give her an AK-47.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] Give her an AK-47.

Give her? Aren’t those legal for individuals in the U.S.?

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2021 4:39 PM

Yes. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2021 4:40 PM

The Kennedy brothers got what they deserved for killing Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2021 4:41 PM

Only if he plans to make a stop at Mar-A-Lardo on the way home.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2021 4:41 PM

RFK's assassination wasn't just about killing a person.

It was also about making a political statement and direct retribution for actions taken by a political figure while in office.

It wasn't simply a murder of a celebrity.

You absolutely do not want people to believe that this type of violence is acceptable - as we've started seeing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2021 4:41 PM

I agree, r10. This was a political assassination and pre-meditated. He should never leave prison.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2021 4:43 PM

They won't let Leslie Van Houten out of jail, and she's far more remorseful than this psychopath.

California's parole system is so fucked-up.

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2021 4:44 PM

They didn’t execute Charles Manson when that was more than enough good reason to do so. Costing Angela Lansbury [italic]Mame[/italic] on screen and sticking us with Lucille Ball was grounds for an execution in and of itself!

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2021 4:49 PM

Bobby and Ethel had 11 kids. Two are dead. One from a drug overdose the other from a skiing accident. He hit a tree. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2021 5:01 PM

R14 And one of the others is a cocksucking anti-vaxx lunatic who probably SHOULD slam into a tree like Sonny Bono.

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2021 5:02 PM

You take a life, you pay with life.

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2021 5:03 PM

HELL NO. What would ever be the point in doing so? He needs to rot in jail.

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2021 5:04 PM

About as likely as any of the Manson family getting out at this point.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2021 5:05 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2021 5:06 PM

The entire world would have been a different place if Robert Kennedy had won the election in 1968 instead of Nixon. Sirhan prevented that from happening, it wasn't just another murder.

The LA District Attorney's office won't oppose a parole for Sirhan.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2021 5:09 PM

When I worked in a public library in the 90s a lady would come in frequently to do some sort of research for Sirhan Sirhan. She made it sound like she was his contact in the outside world. Not sure if that was true or if she was just a fangirl. She’d be in her 70s by now.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2021 5:11 PM

I don't think it should matter who RFK was. Victims should not be categorized by their status. Though, of course, we tend to do that. A mother killed matters more to our society than a drug dealer. Usually.

What should matter is the motivation for the killing because that can give you a clue as to whether the killer will reoffend. If it was a political motive then what's to say that some political reasoning won't once again motivate Sirhan to kill again? I don't even think Sirhan's crime was driven by circumstances than can be avoided in future. It's not like an addict who killed someone in a robbery - usually those circumstances can be avoided. Someone who is violent in their personal relationships and that ends up culminating in killing one of his partners is likely to reoffend without serous intervention and change because how do you avoid relationships upon release.

We have no idea what the world would have been if RFK had not died. I would never assume it would be a better place. Please. Primarily because he was a very political animal with a not so great history. Senator McCarthy anyone? I never trusted RFK's sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2021 5:17 PM

Sirhan is not an American citizen, so if he is released he will be sent to Jordan as the Israelis will never allow him back into the West Bank.

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2021 5:21 PM

R23, good point.

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2021 5:26 PM

Can't they offer him the option of killing him? I'd rather be dead than be in jail.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2021 5:27 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? Otherwise, what R9 said.

by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2021 5:28 PM

Why are we even having this conversation? Life in prison is life in prison.

by Anonymousreply 27August 27, 2021 5:30 PM

When does Bobby come back from 'prison'? He was robbed of that chance by Sirhan Sirhan.

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2021 5:33 PM

R15, that same anti-vaxxer, RFK, Jr., believes in Sirhan’s innocence. But at least, unlike one of MLK, Jr.’s sons, he never met with his father’s assassin while also proclaiming his innocence & urging his release. But neither covered himself with glory.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2021 5:38 PM

R29 Jesus, he's just a bigger and bigger piece of shit, isn't he? A kitchen full of people saw Sirhan pump Little Bobby full of bullets, and he was grabbed and arrested within seconds. How the fuck could it have been faked?

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2021 8:38 PM

I met Bobby twice, briefly, during his Presidential campaign when he visited my state before the primaries, and once when he was in the Senate. He was kind and thoughtful and vey patient with young people high school & College students like myself. I read everything I could get my hands on about him, and from what I learned, his brother's assassination was transformational. First he was haunted by the possibility that he caused JFK's death, and secondly, he dedicated his life from that point on to being purposeful . His inclination was towards being a humanitarian from that point on. He moved Left. I have no doubt he would have changed the direction of our county, and made us more compassionate and initiated programs that would have lifted us up. IMO two events have really affected us: JFK's assassination, and 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote]California parole panel votes in favor of release from prison for Sirhan Sirhan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 27, 2021 9:26 PM

I don't think someone should get an extra-long prison sentence just because their victim was a beloved celebrity. I was thinking the other day that Mark David Chapman would have gotten parole if he killed a non-famous person.

by Anonymousreply 33August 27, 2021 9:29 PM

[quote]Victims should not be categorized by their status.

I'm sure every victim of a hate crime would disagree with you and every fag bashing, skin head would wholeheartedly agree that hate crime enhancements for crimes are bad.

by Anonymousreply 34August 27, 2021 9:29 PM

[quote]I don't think someone should get an extra-long prison sentence just because their victim was a beloved celebrity.

Apparently, you've chosen to ignore the most salient points of this discussion.

It is NOT because RFK was a celebrity. It's because he assassinated a political figure specifically to achieve a political goal - um, it's pretty much the definition of terrorist.

by Anonymousreply 35August 27, 2021 9:31 PM

Anyone who kills anyone, barring perhaps only the the most extreme cases, should be on jail for life or executed. None of this “bo longer a threat” shit. It isn’t about not being a threat. It is about justice and punishment.

by Anonymousreply 36August 27, 2021 9:36 PM

R36, yes, I believe this for premeditated murders, which this was.

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2021 9:41 PM

Breaking: he was recommended for parole.

I wonder whether he would have been paroled, all else being equal, if he had been your run-of-the-mill white guy, given the current environment.

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote] I met Bobby twice, briefly

Sirhan Sirhan met him met him once once.

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2021 9:47 PM

[quote] I read everything I could get my hands on about him

Did you read sites other than, like, Wikipedia?

by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2021 9:48 PM

Life without the possibility of parole is cruel and unusual punishment. I think 50 years of your life is enough for any crime. Unless the person is still determined to still be a threat.

by Anonymousreply 41August 27, 2021 9:56 PM

Never. Never. Never.

And I remember that awful night.

If Newsom OKs this he may as well call in the movers now. Cuomo can give him a recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2021 9:57 PM

R41 What if you were the one they killed?

by Anonymousreply 43August 27, 2021 9:57 PM

R38 if he a killed a normal person, with no publicity, he would've been paroled in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 44August 27, 2021 9:58 PM

R43 Same. You've taken 50 years of this person's life. He's paid substantially for his crime. It's good to be humane and merciful.

by Anonymousreply 45August 27, 2021 10:00 PM

LET HIM ROT IN PRISON! IM LAW AND ORDER!

by Anonymousreply 46August 27, 2021 10:00 PM

Let him die in prison.

by Anonymousreply 47August 27, 2021 10:03 PM

To think that a surviving Lee Oswald, who’d know be 81, could be a free man is quite disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 48August 27, 2021 10:08 PM

Que Sirhan Sirhan!

Whoever will assassinate, will assassinate!

The future's not ours to see,

Que Sirhan Sirhan!

by Anonymousreply 49August 27, 2021 10:18 PM

Sirhan belongs in afghan-istan

by Anonymousreply 50August 27, 2021 10:22 PM

R45 He took the entirety of Bobby Kennedy's life after that shooting, and gave several other people a lifetime of pain and trauma from their injuries.

by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] Never. Never. Never.

Two “nevers” would have sufficed.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2021 10:24 PM

He's from Israel, r50, not Afghanistan.

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2021 10:24 PM

This article makes want to cry.

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2021 10:26 PM

R41 Fuck off with your bleeding heart. No one is a threat as an old 80 year man, but the damage these murderers do lasts generations. Where’s your humanity for those who suffered from these murderers’ actions? Have some shame and think about the victims.

by Anonymousreply 55August 27, 2021 10:27 PM

Segment from "Unsolved Mysteries" that investigates the possibility that there was more than ONE shooter that shot RFK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 27, 2021 10:28 PM

The Man That Got Away

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 27, 2021 10:31 PM

Political assassins are akin to terrorists imo. It's not an ordinary murder. Someone like this should stay in prison.

by Anonymousreply 58August 27, 2021 10:34 PM

"I do have some love for you," Douglas Kennedy told Sirhan, who nodded and lowered his head. Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who has favored Sirhan's release in the past, wrote in support of parole. He said he was moved when he first met Sirhan -- "who wept, clinching my hands and asked for forgiveness" -- and offered to be "a guiding friend for him."

If the Kennedy's can move on, so should rest of world....

That being said, my hunch is Newsom puts the kibosh on whole thing keeping Sirhan Sirhan locked up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 27, 2021 10:40 PM

[quote]Life without the possibility of parole is cruel and unusual punishment. I think 50 years of your life is enough for any crime. Unless the person is still determined to still be a threat.

Well, he probably should have thought about it and made a better choice before, you know, planning and executing a political assassination.

He knew exactly what the punishment could be and made the conscious decision to murder someone.

People who make such calculated choices shouldn't be surprised or whine about the consequences. It's like murdering your wife, then whining that if you go to jail, it'll make your kids into orphans, so you shouldn't be sent away.

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] Life without the possibility of parole is cruel and unusual punishment.

R41, Murdering someone is cruel and unusual punishment. Denying 11 children the chance to grow with their father is cruel and unusual punishment. Denying a wife a life without her husband is a life long sentence and is cruel and unusual punishment. Sirhan Sirhan was the only person responsible for this chain of events.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2021 10:42 PM

The gubernatorial review can take months. If Newsom does allow it, he’ll likely wait until after the election.

by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2021 10:43 PM

Surprised I haven’t been yet been hit with an “oh dear.”Oswald would now - not know - be 81.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2021 10:45 PM

R55 Keeping a person in prison does absolutely nothing for the victims. If keeping the person locked up forever would so this bring them back, I'd be ok with it.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2021 10:47 PM

There is tons of evidence of conspiracy about RFK's murder. CIA mind control of Sirhan was suspected.

As for Oswald - he killed no one. Not JFK or Tippit.

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2021 10:50 PM

R62 That's just the formality. Newsom needs to make clear before the election that he will not approve Sirhan's release. Otherwise voters will assume the worst.

by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2021 11:02 PM

The Kennedys are WAY overrated...the myth supersedes reality.

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2021 11:02 PM

shocking

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2021 11:05 PM

There is no reason to let anyone out of prison who shoots and kills another person.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2021 11:18 PM

If only he had gottenEthel instead. Insufferable cunt.

Sure, let him out…he’s done his time. And maybe he could get a job at Mar a Lardo

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2021 11:29 PM

R70, are you also R9?

by Anonymousreply 71August 27, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote] As for Oswald - he killed no one. Not JFK or Tippit.

OMFG. The MAGAites are representin'.

by Anonymousreply 72August 27, 2021 11:36 PM

His eyes are black

by Anonymousreply 73August 28, 2021 12:49 AM

He should have been sent to the gas chamber.

Never never let this guy loose.

If he had been elected president, RFK would have changed the course of our country.

by Anonymousreply 74August 28, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote] RFK would have changed the course of our country

What would he have done?

by Anonymousreply 75August 28, 2021 1:22 AM

[quote] Where’s your humanity for those who suffered from these murderers’ actions? Have some shame and think about the victims.

That would be Ethel and the children. Yeah, they're REAL disadvantaged people.

Get the fuck over yourself, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2021 1:40 AM

"On June 4, 1968, 11 days before his 13th birthday, Kennedy nearly drowned while he and his siblings were swimming in the Pacific Ocean near the Malibu, California beach house of Hollywood film director John Frankenheimer, a Kennedy family friend. Kennedy had been knocked over by a wave and was trapped on the bottom by the undertow. His father dived under the water and rescued him, scraping and bruising his own forehead in the process. Frankenheimer gave Senator Kennedy theatrical makeup to hide the bruise, as he would be appearing on television hours later.[3]

At just after midnight on June 5, David watched on TV as his father claimed victory in the California presidential primary election; the 12-year-old then watched as the same broadcast reported his father's assassination moments later.[4] The event left an emotional scar on David and he began recreational drug use shortly thereafter.[3]"

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2021 2:37 AM

I wouldn't give a fuck how wealthy they were. 10 kids lost their fathe...in fact they watched on live TV while it all unfolded. Bobby Kennedy never lived to see them grow up or to provide the guidance and support they needed.

by Anonymousreply 78August 28, 2021 2:40 AM

Keeping Sirhan Sirhan in prison forever isn't going to bring RFK back, r78.

The point of the incarceration system should not be cheap vengeance in a civilized society.

by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2021 3:30 AM

Didn’t he throw a wheelchaired man overboard on a leisure boat?

by Anonymousreply 80August 28, 2021 3:32 AM

Was it just him who committed the murder? I've heard of evidence that suggests there was more than one person involved. At any rate, no, he should die in prison. I still wonder what could have been if Robert Kennedy had become President. Things could have been so different for America.

by Anonymousreply 81August 28, 2021 3:33 AM

[quote] The point of the incarceration system should not be cheap vengeance in a civilized society.

Oh shut the fuck up. "Cheap vengeance." You sound like a real asshole. Some crimes are so heinous that the person who committed them should never be let out.

by Anonymousreply 82August 28, 2021 3:35 AM

[quote] Things could have been so different for America.

How could they have been different?

by Anonymousreply 83August 28, 2021 3:35 AM

Just a few days ago a link was posted (in the Sharon Tate + Jay Sebring thread) to an interview with a former Manson family member that was held at the same prison as Sirhan. The guy said something along the lines of “now Sirhan, that guy should NEVER be let out. He’s truly insane”

by Anonymousreply 84August 28, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote] The point of the incarceration system should not be cheap vengeance in a civilized society.

In the common law of America, there are five purposes to punishment, including imprisonment:

[quote ] Punishment has five recognized purposes: deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation, retribution, and restitution.

Retribution is a well-established purpose in our common law. It is not considered “cheap vengeance”.

by Anonymousreply 85August 28, 2021 3:37 AM

California State Board of Corrections. Figures.

by Anonymousreply 86August 28, 2021 3:39 AM

I hope Newsom overturns it. He won’t.

by Anonymousreply 87August 28, 2021 3:40 AM

Family means nothing in the contemporary West. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 88August 28, 2021 3:42 AM

[quote] How could they have been different?

Kennedy would have been a very effective President, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 89August 28, 2021 3:42 AM

[quote] Some crimes are so heinous

Replace "so" with "especially". Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 90August 28, 2021 3:43 AM

R80, a different Palestinian did that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 28, 2021 3:44 AM

What would this Kennedy have done differently to whoever it was got the job instead of him?

by Anonymousreply 92August 28, 2021 3:49 AM

What does the Goddess have to say on this important decision?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 28, 2021 3:51 AM

R92 I'm not going to say RFK would have been a dazzling president; putting that Kennedy attraction to risk and danger in the White House is a real concern.

But he would have saved American lives by exiting Vietnam.

Most importantly, though, he would have saved the country from the horror of Richard M. Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2021 4:07 AM

[quote] What would this Kennedy have done differently to whoever it was got the job instead of him?

You're either a cunty troll or mentally retarded.

by Anonymousreply 95August 28, 2021 4:14 AM

Sirhan, Sirhan , whatever will be will be!

by Anonymousreply 96August 28, 2021 4:25 AM

R91 I remember there was a big controversy over some ill advised idea for an opera a few years ago about the case. I don't know what they were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 97August 28, 2021 4:26 AM

I always thought JFK was extraordinarily overrated. But RFK seemed sincere in his beliefs. The less said about Ted the better.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2021 4:27 AM

R96, are you also R49?

by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2021 4:28 AM

R99 No, but I am deeply embarrassed that I missed that.

by Anonymousreply 100August 28, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote] The less said about Ted the better.

Ted, Ted, my dear friend, I love you and I miss you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 28, 2021 4:32 AM

I don't want to hear any more nonsense about how Lesley Van Houten is too dangerous to release.

A crime she committed under the influence of Manson and while high on drugs - please? She is waay less likely to reoffend than a political assassin.

They are total hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 102August 28, 2021 4:49 AM

R79 Thank you. Keeping someone in prison for over 50 years is no longer punishment. It's petty and sadistic. We need to strive to be a more merciful society.

by Anonymousreply 103August 28, 2021 4:56 AM

R102 I have half a mind to vote against Newsom in the recall because of this. At this point, she's a political prisoner. Anyone else in her situation would've been released in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 104August 28, 2021 4:57 AM

We live in a primitive time, don't we? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it.

by Anonymousreply 105August 28, 2021 4:59 AM

[quote] A crime she committed under the influence of Manson and while high on drugs - please? She is waay less likely to reoffend than a political assassin.

This isn't a Manson thread, retard. And Leslie Van Houten was NOT on drugs when she helped butcher the LaBiancas. None of the Manson family were on drugs when they killed.

by Anonymousreply 106August 28, 2021 5:03 AM

[quote] I have half a mind to vote against Newsom in the recall because of this. At this point, she's a political prisoner.

It bears repeating: this isn't a Manson thread, fuckhead. You're a troll or mentally retarded.

by Anonymousreply 107August 28, 2021 5:05 AM

Leslie Van Houten and Sirhan are two of the longest held people in the prison system, so it is related.

by Anonymousreply 108August 28, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote] Leslie Van Houten and Sirhan are two of the longest held people in the prison system, so it is related.

They don't have anything to do with each other, except that they're both murderers. If you love them, well, you are one sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 109August 28, 2021 5:15 AM

R109 You are mentally ill. You can't control what people discuss on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 110August 28, 2021 5:18 AM

Has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?

Can you tell me where he's gone?

I thought I saw him walkin'

Up over the hill

With Abraham, Martin and John

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 28, 2021 9:40 AM

Well six of Bobby and Ethel Kennedy's children aren't on board with Sirhan Sirhan being sprung from prison, and they've gone on record with their feelings.

It is early days, there still must be full parole panel review then onto governor Newsom. Anything could happen, and my money is on full board putting a stop to this madness before it starts. If they don't Newsom will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 28, 2021 9:46 AM

[quote]Leslie Van Houten and Sirhan are two of the longest held people in the prison system, so it is related.

In that simple-minded one murder is much like another kinda way.

Van Houten deserves to spend her life in prison for the heinous butchering she participated in.

Sirhan assassinated not only a celeb, not only a political "savior", but a member of the most powerful, political family in America. That will keep him in jail for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 113August 28, 2021 9:48 AM

[quote]so if he is released he will be sent to Jordan as the Israelis will never allow him back into the West Bank.

King Abdullah won't have him either, viewing him as a threat to his absolute rule. He'll most likely be sent to Gaza, because Hamas/Gazans worship suicide bombers and assassins

by Anonymousreply 114August 28, 2021 9:58 AM

Can i flick snot at him if he gets out?

by Anonymousreply 115August 28, 2021 12:03 PM

R112, I can't believe Ethel is for his release. She's 93 and in failing health. Is she even aware of this?

by Anonymousreply 116August 28, 2021 12:16 PM

[quote] I always thought JFK was extraordinarily overrated. But RFK seemed sincere in his beliefs.

I'm as big a Kenndyphile as there is (I had two RFK prints on the wall of my office before I retired), but have become somewhat disaffected over time upon learning that while RFK portrayed himself as - along with JFK - the lone doves in the room during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the unfolding history has evidenced a very different reality. It was JFK &, significantly, Adlai Stevenson (who the Kennedy brothers contemporaneously sought to depict as a latter-day Neville Chamberlain) who were essentially the lone voices of reason during these critical days.

by Anonymousreply 117August 28, 2021 1:12 PM

[quote] How could they have been different?

Instead of having a chance to elect Robert Kennedy President, America elected Richard Nixon, who extended the Vietnam war for years and lied about its progress, RFK was against the war, many more people wouldn't have died, then there was Watergate. Asking how they would have been different is like asking how things would have been different if America elected Hillary instead of the orange Putin loving Traitor.

by Anonymousreply 118August 28, 2021 3:17 PM

Where does Sirhan's brother live?

by Anonymousreply 119August 28, 2021 3:52 PM

Hell, no. RFK would have been elected president and the country would be a better place now.

by Anonymousreply 120August 28, 2021 4:03 PM

Let him out, he's done his time.

by Anonymousreply 121August 28, 2021 4:19 PM

Please sign up for him to sleep @ your house, looking @ you Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 122August 28, 2021 4:49 PM

Nope. Nope. Nope.

by Anonymousreply 123August 28, 2021 5:50 PM

At best, R120, RFK might’ve been HHH’s running mate in ‘68, but LBJ - who still controlled the party machinery - would never have allowed his arch-nemesis to get the presidential nomination. Bobby knew his only (long-shot) chance to gain the top spot was to sail through the very few primaries back then. When he lost the Oregon primary the week before California - the first electoral defeat suffered by a Kennedy - his presidential was effectively over.

by Anonymousreply 124August 28, 2021 7:08 PM

Strange, I thought the Kennedy's were a tight family. Can't imagine advocating some dirt bag who shot my father to death be released from prison. I'm not that evolved. Or maybe I'm not an attention whore who's willing to stand on my dead father's corpse to make sure Mr. DeMille gets, "the $$shot"

by Anonymousreply 125August 28, 2021 7:26 PM

What does the Kennedy possess?

by Anonymousreply 126August 28, 2021 7:27 PM

R119 Pasadena, CA

by Anonymousreply 127August 28, 2021 7:32 PM

Thank you, R127.

by Anonymousreply 128August 28, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote] You are mentally ill. You can't control what people discuss on Datalounge.

I wasn't trying to "control" anything, you dumb twat. I just commented that if someone wants to talk about a Manson family member they should do it on one of the Manson threads instead of one about Sirhan Sirhan. I think there have actually been threads devoted to Leslie Van Houten, so it would make sense to comment on her there. So go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 129August 28, 2021 8:57 PM

Sorry, R129, this thread is about whether someone should be release on parole after a conviction for murder. Comparisons to other cases are not only appropriate but they are a necessary part of the discussion. There are guidelines for release and the way the guidelines are implemented matter.

No idea what bug you have up your ass but scratch it and get over your self.

by Anonymousreply 130August 28, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote] Murdering someone is cruel and unusual punishment. Denying 11 children the chance to grow with their father is cruel and unusual punishment. Denying a wife a life without her husband is a life long sentence and is cruel and unusual punishment.

That doesn't mean the state gets to enact cruel and unusual punishment back.

In fact, it is constitutionally forbidden for the state to enact cruel and unusual punishment.

by Anonymousreply 131August 28, 2021 9:17 PM

[quote] RFK might’ve been HHH’s running mate in ‘68, but LBJ - who still controlled the party machinery - would never have allowed his arch-nemesis to get the presidential nomination.

You mean the guy who was the incumbent president who declined to seek or accept “the nomination of my party” when Bobby entered the race? That guy?

by Anonymousreply 132August 28, 2021 11:10 PM

Yes, R132, to answer your rhetorical question, LBJ still maintained considerable control over the party machinery, particularly in the South. I don’t know how old you are, but the nominating process then was wholly unlike the modern-day apparatus, as reflected by the fact that Humphrey, the eventual nominee, didn’t enter a SINGLE primary or caucus.

by Anonymousreply 133August 28, 2021 11:20 PM

According to the Daily Mail (I know), Ethel is NOT for his release.

by Anonymousreply 134August 28, 2021 11:25 PM

Look. To assassinate a political leader is heinous in a civilized society. And this was pretty much in your face. Sirhan Sirhan should have got the death penalty. Since he has been inside for 50 years, and he is unstable I don't think letting him out now is doing him any favors. His ability to adapt is seriously inhibited. And sending back to the Middle East? If they really want to be humane, they' leave hi be.

by Anonymousreply 135August 28, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote] Is it time to release Sirhan Sirhan from prison?

No sir, No sir

by Anonymousreply 136August 28, 2021 11:35 PM

He's hoping to retire to Hyannis Port.

by Anonymousreply 137August 29, 2021 12:29 AM

R114 Israel controls access to Gaza. Sirhan is not going there.

As to Jordan, Sirhan is what possible threat to Abdullah, particularly given his age? The King is happy to do small favors for the U.S. and keeping Sirhan under house arrest will be no big burden.

by Anonymousreply 138August 29, 2021 12:32 AM

Sirhan Sirhan

Rachel, Rachel

Reuben, Reuben

New York, New York

Humbert Humbert

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Circus Circus

by Anonymousreply 139August 29, 2021 1:34 AM

plop plop fizz fizz

by Anonymousreply 140August 29, 2021 1:42 AM

Boeing Boeing

by Anonymousreply 141August 29, 2021 1:44 AM

R139 - 7 Deadly Sins

by Anonymousreply 142August 29, 2021 1:48 AM

Duran, Duran

by Anonymousreply 143August 29, 2021 1:48 AM

Aziz, Aziz.

by Anonymousreply 144August 29, 2021 1:50 AM

Muhammud Mahummad

by Anonymousreply 145August 29, 2021 1:53 AM

Is this double-barrelled killer being sent back to where it come from?

by Anonymousreply 146August 29, 2021 1:55 AM

Did he graduate using some kind of correspondence course while in prison?

Did he spend his days weaving baskets or doing the prison laundry?

What do we taxpayers get in return for the thousand meals we fed him over the years?

by Anonymousreply 147August 29, 2021 2:06 AM

I wonder what Dougie's brothers and sisters think of him supporting their father's murderer.

by Anonymousreply 148August 29, 2021 2:11 AM

R147 A valid enough question but valid as well for all the millions incarcerated in the U.S. The answer is, so long as they are in prison we're protected against them doing again what they did before. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 149August 29, 2021 2:12 AM

if this were my dad, I'd be waiting outside the prison and as soon as he walked out, I'd take a gun and shoot him and then I'd shoot myself.

the end.

by Anonymousreply 150August 29, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote] Israel controls access to Gaza.

Israel and [bold]Egypt[/bold] control access to Gaza.

by Anonymousreply 151August 29, 2021 3:22 AM

[quote]Israel controls access to Gaza.

[quote]Israel and Egypt control access to Gaza.

Chief Hamas Thug Ismail Haniyeh controls access to Gaza. Nothing in or out without his knowledge/agreement.

[quote]As to Jordan, Sirhan is what possible threat to Abdullah, particularly given his age?

As a shahid, he is a nationalistic symbol and focus that could cause unrest/instability. For that reason alone, Abdullah will not want him around.

by Anonymousreply 152August 29, 2021 7:56 AM

R152 A living shaheed? Isn't death a necessary element of becoming a martyr?

by Anonymousreply 153August 29, 2021 8:22 AM

No Calif governor will ever sign off on his release. It's prison til the end.

by Anonymousreply 154August 29, 2021 8:53 AM

If Ethel's not on board with this release, I don't think it's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 155August 29, 2021 12:32 PM

Inconceivable that a Democratic governor would go against her wishes.

by Anonymousreply 156August 29, 2021 12:35 PM

Nothing more ridiculous than to imply the Kennedys, any of them, wanted to get the USA out of Vietnam. Examine JFK and his actions, he never wanted to leave Vietnam but he had entangled the US even more in Vietnam, he certainly did not want to leave, but also he was a disaster, see for example the disastrous Bay of Pigs Invasion, he almost unleashed an atomic war through his mishandling of the Cuban Missiles Crisis, he worsened the situation in South Vietnam through his acquiescence to murder President Diem, and a long list of other errors. He was also personally a disaster, had he not become President I'm quite sure Mme. Bouvier would have left him (and even after becoming President a divorce was in horizon), considering he was a sex and drug addict, with little to no sense of responsibility and few other assets than his handsome face, and of course he didn't have the monies people like Onassis had. The rest of the Kennedys aren't any better, Bobby Kennedy was involved with McCarthy, yes the same man who hounded gay men (although McCarthy was right about those he accused of being communists, see Venona files), nothing need be said of Ted but that he did not face any kind of consequence for what he did, and that was, of course, thanks to his family. Papa Kennedy, despite being Irish was more bigoted than most WASPies, to the point of sympathizing with the Nazis. They're and awful family, that well represents the USA's hypocrisy, vacuity and gross materialism.

Sirhan's a mentally unstable individual that should be granted some clemency and mercy, of course there's no such thing in the USA, Americans will always chose appealing fictions rather than the crude reality that their politicians are a bunch of malign butchers, and that Bobby's demise, or that of any other politician, made the world a bit safer.

by Anonymousreply 157August 29, 2021 1:32 PM

Mercy for Sirhan my foot.

Just what we need is another mentally unstable person on the loose.

Gotta 'nuff of 'em here.

by Anonymousreply 158August 29, 2021 1:48 PM

R157, I don't agree with much you posted there but Bobby Kennedy would still have been a better President than Nixon and that is who we got, but then I suppose you thought Nixon was a great President.

by Anonymousreply 159August 29, 2021 2:41 PM

R159 That's both an ad hominem and a straw man, Nixon has nothing to do with the Kennedys being incompetent and horrible people, also I stated: "[American] politicians are a bunch of malign butchers", which includes Nixon, and any other American politician, besides I would never support a Quack-er. But yes, continue to support Bobby Kennedy, the same person who collaborated with McCarthy (who was a family friend of theirs) in hounding gay men, for whom he "retained a fondness for".

by Anonymousreply 160August 29, 2021 3:26 PM

[quote]The point of the incarceration system should not be cheap vengeance in a civilized society.

No r79, the point of the penal system is:

- punishment for crimes committed

- deterrence for others (and the perpetrator) from committing similar offenses, including ensuring that the person is unable to commit such crimes again through segregation from society. There IS a social purpose to make an example out of someone for the crimes they commit as a warning to others that such behavior will not be tolerated, as long as all further criminals are subject to the same penalty if they commit the same crime.

- rehabilitation to prevent recidivism.

The order of priority varies by situation, but all three are key aspects of putting someone in prison. Vengeance has nothing to do with appropriate punishment and deterrence. Whether he's rehabilitated or even contrite for his actions is mostly irrelevant. Just like punishing him will not bring RFK back, letting him go free will not bring him back either, so that's a false argument.

by Anonymousreply 161August 29, 2021 3:51 PM

R160 We're talking here about Sirhan's effect on America. Bobby was no angel and had some scary tendencies. But he also was not RMN. He never would have brought war-mongering Henry Kissinger into his administration. Imagine what a great place America could have been without Nixon and Kissinger.

Folks here have either forgotten or weren't around Nixon's presidency. Bobby for all his faults could not hold a candle to the evilness and mendacity that seeped from every pore of Richard M. Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 162August 29, 2021 4:33 PM

DM is now speculating that Sirhan if released will go live with his brother in Pasadena. Of course they run a photo of the brother running errands. And of the house. They somehow missed a way to work in the address.

by Anonymousreply 163August 30, 2021 4:15 AM

If I were Ethel I would go on a National Hook-up with Kennedy Jr. & slap the living dog shit out of him, then spit a globber in his face.

Part of parole is plan where the parolee will be housed. It should be stipulated that the only way this POS gets paroled is to Kennedy Jr.'s house. Jr. needs to pay all the bills, etc. Not the people of California or USA. Cause you know this fucker is going to be too old, too disabled, too traumatized to be self supporting. Put your money Jr where your mouth is. You opened your trap to get him paroled now you pick up the slack!!

by Anonymousreply 164August 30, 2021 4:26 AM

Decades have passed but it's still beyond remarkable that JFK managed to get his 35-year-old brother confirmed as attorney-general.

Inconceivable today of course. But frankly, inconceivable then, too.

by Anonymousreply 165August 30, 2021 5:05 AM

R165, yea that was pretty outrageous. No way in hell qualified. In fact, so unqualified today there would be protests in the streets - apart from the rank nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 166August 30, 2021 5:12 AM

R79 [quote] The point of the incarceration system should not be cheap vengeance in a civilized society

It isn't cheap at all.

The average cost for a federal inmate is $99.45 per day.

by Anonymousreply 167August 30, 2021 5:15 AM

No parole.

by Anonymousreply 168August 30, 2021 5:20 AM

R135 What are you talking about? He will get a heroes welcome in the Middle East.

He is being released for one reason and one reason only: he killed out of anti-Isrsel sentiment. If he was a white nationalist who killed out of thinking that RKJ was too progressive on race issues, then he would never get out. But, the left now hates Jews and killing someone because they supported Jews is no longer seem as a crime.

by Anonymousreply 169August 30, 2021 9:44 AM

[quote] Inconceivable today of course.

LBJ, out of pique, ensured that it could not happen today, at least with respect to a close relative of a president.

by Anonymousreply 170August 30, 2021 11:04 AM

Didn’t know that, r170.

Did he push for an anti-nepotism law or…?

by Anonymousreply 171August 30, 2021 12:41 PM

Yes, R170, as noted in the linked Politico article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 30, 2021 4:41 PM

Awesome! Thanks, r172.

Love history now, not when I was in school.

by Anonymousreply 173August 30, 2021 4:45 PM

Is life in prison just a figure of speech?

by Anonymousreply 174August 30, 2021 5:06 PM

You’re welcome, R173.

by Anonymousreply 175August 30, 2021 7:46 PM

Rory Kennedy's not in favor of paroling Sirhan:

I never met my father. When Sirhan Sirhan murdered him in the kitchen hallway of the Ambassador Hotel in front of scores of witnesses, my mother was three months pregnant with me. Of my 10 older brothers and sisters, Kathleen, the eldest, was 16, and Douglas, the youngest, was little more than 1. I was born six months after my father’s death. My mother and the majority of my siblings agree with what I now write, although a couple do not. But I will say, for myself, while that night of terrible loss has not defined my life, it has had impact beyond measure.

In 1969, when Mr. Sirhan was found guilty by a jury of his peers and sentenced to death, I was barely a toddler. I know, as it is part of the historical record, that my uncle Teddy sent a five-page handwritten letter to the district attorney in a last-minute plea to save the condemned assassin’s life. The letter invoked my father’s beliefs: “My brother was a man of love and sentiment and compassion. He would not have wanted his death to be a cause for the taking of another life.”

Despite this plea, Superior Court Judge Herbert Walker upheld the sentence, ruling that Mr. Sirhan should “die in the manner prescribed by law,” which in California in 1969 was the gas chamber. There was no consideration of future rehabilitation. The court’s decision seemed based entirely upon the prevailing conception of justice in California at that time: As my father was taken forever, so too should Mr. Sirhan be.

My father’s murder was absolute, irreversible, a painful truth that I have had to live with every day of my life; he was indeed taken forever. Because he was killed before I was born, it meant I never had the chance to see my father’s face and he never had the chance to see mine. He never tossed me in the air, taught me to ride a bicycle, dropped me off at my freshman dorm, walked me down the aisle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 2, 2021 11:39 AM

For America, the price of my father’s life and ambitions cut short has been incalculable — for the thousands of young men who died in Vietnam as the war my father opposed ground on for nearly seven more years, for the millions living in poverty or under the yoke of racism, for the wrongfully convicted who have languished behind prison walls, for the generation of would-be leaders whose hopes and dreams my father carried with him. Who knows what his death has cost?

In 1972, the U.S. Supreme Court declared the death penalty unconstitutional and suspended it. At the time, “life without parole” was not yet an alternative in California; it wouldn’t take effect there for another six years. Mr. Sirhan’s sentence was commuted to “life with the possibility of parole.” Because of this, in legal terms, the word “forever” was taken off the table. This is just an explanation, not an argument; the way it touches upon our specific notions of justice is deeply personal. But the fact stands that while my father would be dead forever, Mr. Sirhan was not sentenced to prison forever.

I return to Uncle Teddy’s words: “My brother was a man of love and sentiment and compassion.” These are qualities I greatly admire, but I wonder, was Mr. Sirhan not already shown compassion when his death sentence was commuted to life in prison? It is a high-minded notion, after all, the belief that everyone — everyone — deserves a chance for rehabilitation and, after having served enough time in prison, even parole. Did Uncle Teddy ever imagine, in asking the court for compassion, that the man who killed his brother might one day walk free? I do not think so.

And what I do know is that Mr. Sirhan is not someone deserving of parole. I believe this despite last week’s recommendation by the Los Angeles County parole board’s two-member panel to consider his release.

For prisoners sentenced to life, parole is based on evidence of their suitability for release — and to a significant degree, that means evidence of rehabilitation. At the time of the assassination, Mr. Sirhan admitted his guilt. At the time of the trial, he moved to plead guilty to murder in the first degree. Yet, across the decades that followed, right up through last week, he has not been willing to accept responsibility for his act and has shown little remorse. At his previous parole hearing, in 2016, when asked by Commissioner Brian Roberts to explain how he was involved in the murder, Mr. Sirhan replied, “I was there, and I supposedly shot a gun.”

by Anonymousreply 177September 2, 2021 11:40 AM

The commissioner kept pressing: “I’m asking you to tell me what you believe you’re responsible for.”

Mr. Sirhan replied: “It’s a good question. Legally speaking, I’m not guilty of anything.”

Again, this was in 2016. He was 71 years old and had been incarcerated for 48 years. That he was, of course, denied parole, is easy to understand. And so my question is: What in the intervening five years has changed? We know that one or two laws have changed (as we’ve seen, they frequently do), maybe some attitudes have changed, and Mr. Sirhan is a few years older. For a dash of color, news reports consistently mention his snow white hair, as if somehow that indicates he’s no longer a threat.

But as last Friday’s parole hearing made clear, his suitability for release has not changed. According to Julie Watson, an Associated Press reporter present, Mr. Sirhan still maintains that he does not recall the killing and that “it pains me to experience that, the knowledge for such a horrible deed, if I did in fact do that.” If? How can you express remorse while refusing to accept responsibility? And how, having committed one of the most notorious assassinations of the latter part of the 20th century, can you be considered rehabilitated when you won’t even acknowledge your role in the crime itself?

Yet last week’s parole commissioner, Robert Barton, found a way. Although the official transcripts have not yet been released, he is reported as telling Mr. Sirhan, “We did not find that your lack of taking complete responsibility” for the shooting indicates that you are “currently dangerous.”

I know that prisons are overcrowded, and I realize that it is expensive to keep an older man behind bars. But without concern for justice or regard for rehabilitation, the parole panel of two has recommended that the man who killed my father be released. Free to live, perhaps, in Pasadena, Calif., with his brother, less than an hour’s drive from my home. Or, as is more likely, to go to Jordan, where he has citizenship.

It is true that Mr. Sirhan has been incarcerated for a long time. For 53 years, to be exact. That is, after all, an easy number for me to track. It is the same number of years that my father has been dead. It is the age that I turn on my birthday this year.

The decision to release Mr. Sirhan still has to be reviewed by the full parole board and then by California’s governor. I ask them, for my family — and I believe for our country, too — to please reject this recommendation and keep Sirhan Sirhan in prison.

by Anonymousreply 178September 2, 2021 11:40 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 7, 2021 9:49 PM

FUCK NO. He murdered the only useful Kennedy. The rest just live off of their family name and old money bullshit status. He was really going to change the world for the better. Who knows how much better that family would have been if he had lived to instill them with his work ethic and goals?

by Anonymousreply 180September 7, 2021 9:58 PM

What a shame Hitler can't be released from hell. I call Total Bullshit ob this. Spare me the tears & breast besting, sob sisters. This guy shot someone, killed him..Period, full stop, end of sentence.

And as to the Kennedy schmuck advocating his parole. To your house..ONLY, baby. He gets to live w. you forevah! And you pay for his sorry ass all the way. No public monies, none!

by Anonymousreply 181September 8, 2021 12:17 AM

How can the parole board think he's a good candidate for parole if he's never taken responsibility for his actions? Are they insane?

by Anonymousreply 182September 8, 2021 1:31 AM

No way

by Anonymousreply 183September 8, 2021 2:04 AM

I don't see how Gavin Newsom can disregard Ethel's thoughts on why Sirhan should remain in prison. But unless someone shows signs of a serious mental problem or lack or remorse, once they've served their time, let them go.

by Anonymousreply 184September 11, 2021 8:47 AM

Ethel will soon be going to meet her maker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185September 11, 2021 8:52 AM

Ethel looks like Mr Magoo in that pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 11, 2021 9:08 AM

[quote] once they've served their time, let them go.

Agreed. And since his time was “life,” we’ll wait.

by Anonymousreply 187September 11, 2021 1:43 PM

[quote] I don't see how Gavin Newsom can disregard Ethel's thoughts on why Sirhan should remain in prison. But unless someone shows signs of a serious mental problem or lack or remorse, once they've served their time, let them go.

Really? You think Newsom listens to women? He has no problem putting criminal males into prisons with women - women essentially held hostage - on nothing other than that they "feel" they are a woman.

Please note that Sirhan has never expressed remorse. He has never renounced his political views or political purposes. He remains dangerous. He can still hold a gun and pull the trigger at his age.

Newsom is an arrogant idiot. Newsom is dangerous himself.

by Anonymousreply 188September 11, 2021 7:09 PM

With any luck Sirhan will shoot Newsom first.

by Anonymousreply 189September 11, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote] With any luck Sirhan will shoot Newsom first.

If Sirhan is paroled, let's first be sure to give him directions to Mar-a-Lago.

by Anonymousreply 190September 11, 2021 7:27 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 191January 14, 2022 11:30 AM

Well, he won't be getting out.

Nor should he!

by Anonymousreply 192January 14, 2022 12:18 PM

I thought a condition of parole is it has to be stipulated whose domicile you will be paroled to. Not in Ca., so don't know the rules. If it is the case in Ca. Sirhan needs to go to Newsom's house. Kev. will have to pick up all costs for this creep. Also think the Kennedy's should sue. Kev. can pick that up too.

Put your money & your house where your mouth is. If not, shut your piehole.

by Anonymousreply 193January 14, 2022 5:23 PM

Anybody letting Sirhan Sirhan (or any other high profile murderer) out of prison would be committing political suicide. I think doing something like that would ruin any politician.

by Anonymousreply 194January 14, 2022 8:51 PM

No. No. No. Like the Manson people.

by Anonymousreply 195January 15, 2022 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!