Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is it about dumplings that upsets people so much these days?

It's actually kinda funny, and you could almost write it before it happens.

Journalist working for Bitch Media complains on Twitter about a woman who has just published a book on dumplings and noodles. The woman is white. The journalist (Canadian, but of Filipina ancestry) tells her off for appropriating others' food.

Author writes back kindly but asks Journalist not to characterise her like that. Others point out to Journalist that Author has been training for 15 years in the art of dumplings and noodle making and has studied at premier cooking institutions in China.

Twitter finds that Journalist mostly rants online about how much she hates and wants to destroy "yt people", also makes homophobic remarks and unpleasant remarks about Indians and BO.

Journalist protect all her tweets after complaining that Twitter has driven her to therapy, at which point she puts up a Go Fund Me type thing to get people to pay for her therapy!

Hahaha, it's another Evy Kwong situation (this woman is called Roslyn). Bitch media are trying to defend her, but no one else is having it.

What IS it with dumplings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 5, 2021 10:23 AM

First they came for the white ladies’ taco trucks…

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2021 9:37 PM

What's not to like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2021 9:57 PM

They're usually mushy unless they're Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2021 10:01 PM

This is the author of the lined article's bio. It's almost a fucking joke if it weren't so sad that it's real.

Bani Amor is a genderqueer travel writer who explores the relationships between race, place, and power. They’re a four-time Voices of Our Nation Arts Foundation fellow with work in CNN Travel, Fodor’s, and AFAR, among others, and in the anthology Outside the XY: Queer Black and Brown Masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2021 10:26 PM

A whole article about food criticism that barely mentions food.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2021 10:29 PM

Critics ruin everything these days.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2021 10:35 PM

Wait the they/them Canadian girl who went on a twitter rant posted homophobic stuff? God I hate these 'queer' women. This whole queer/pan/genderless stuff is just a smokescreen and tool to navigate and channel their hatred for others as a cover.

These women have nothing to do with gay men, and im over them using our sexuality as an 'in' for their own means. I have no solidarity with 'queer' women like her.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2021 10:39 PM

"They/them" might be a man. Hard to tell. but "Their' book is about black and brown men

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2021 10:46 PM

I wrote the original post this morning and realised I was about to miss the bus, so here's a few more details:

The journalist involved is called Roslyn Talusan, and she seems a bit... highly strung, shall we say? Rather hilariously, she criticised Pippa Middlehurst, the author, by saying: "could you be any more of a white woman gaming a system that's set up for you to succeed off our backs?". Apparently Roslyn invented dumplings and noodles, or she is under the impression she is Chinese (when she's Canadian of Filipina ancestry). She really seems to be cut from the same cloth as Evy Kwong, the Canadian journalist who got a pop up restaurant shut down last year because the woman sold dumplings.

After Twitter uncovered a whole lot of nasty tweets from her, she frantically deleted them, then asked for money from people to pay for a therapist. What a grifter! Tweets of hers included:

[quote]y r yt parents the worst

[quote]y do yt men smell so bad omg

[quote]lets go fuck some yt ppl up

[quote]if he were stalking me he'd know i vehemently detest yt men, but we already know these losers are just projecting

[quote]white women are a plague

[quote]stupid homo knows nothing.

In light of all this, her bio at Bitch Media is pretty hilarious (bolding mine):

[quote]Roslyn Talusan is a Filipina Canadian anti-rape activist and feminist culture writer. [bold]Passionate about using her words to create a culture of empathy[/bold], she’s working on a memoir about her experience reporting sexual assault in the workplace.

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2021 11:53 AM

She sounds she’d be a great addition to The View.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2021 11:57 AM

Hahahaha, oh I'd tune in for that, would be hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2021 12:07 PM

Don’t dumplings span many different cultures?

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2021 12:10 PM

Pretty much all cultures have dumplings. It is literally impossible to 'appropriate' them.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2021 12:14 PM

What the fuck is "yt?"

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2021 12:32 PM

A derogatory way to say white

by Anonymousreply 15August 26, 2021 12:35 PM

R12/R13, you're spoiling their outrage with facts!

by Anonymousreply 16August 26, 2021 12:36 PM

DarkSkyLady has written an article for Medium (lol) about it, and she is [italic]rabid[/italic] with anger on behalf of Roslyn!

The article is one big logical fallacy though, which is really hilarious. I often feel kinda bad, because there is so much hurt in people who write these things, that they are acting out, but also, it IS kinda funny how one note this author is. These are the titles of her recently articles for Medium:

"White Woman Tears Got a Liberal a Bestseller"

"White Liberals are Already Failing Post Election"

"The White Male Celeb Must Be a Sensitive Lot"

"The Only "Illness" is White Privilege"

"Tell Us You're a White Liberal"

I do like her bio though - does she have self awareness, or is this just unintentionally ironic?

[quote]Black/Puerto Rican creative non-binary. [bold]Spouts nonsense that occasionally makes sense[/bold]. she/her/they/them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 26, 2021 12:45 PM

She’s an anti-rape activist?

HOW INCREDIBLY BRAVE!

by Anonymousreply 18August 26, 2021 12:51 PM

Dumplings are great. Burn that criticizing journalist at the stake!

by Anonymousreply 19August 26, 2021 12:53 PM

Every culture has dough stuffed with meat/veg, which is then boiled or fried. Every culture has a thin cake/bread cooked on a flat surface. Every culture has sausage. Every culture has tea and beer. Every culture that has cabbage ferments it. Every culture has stew. I could go on…

by Anonymousreply 20August 26, 2021 12:53 PM

Stuffed dough really is a popular thing all around the world. I know Pierogi (sorry for the spelling if wrong), and there is Ravioli too. My Ukrainian friend tells me there is a Ukrainian version too, and of course there's all the Chinese varieties.

I wish I liked dumplings more than I do. They're not really my thing, but everyone else raves about them.

I am interested in trying the ones with the hot soup inside them, but I'm vegetarian and believe they have pork in them? The red bean ones were really good though.

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2021 12:57 PM

Thanks r15.

'Yt'... I mean, jfc. 🤦‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2021 1:00 PM

Is it just me, or is there something, not racist exactly, but kind of stereotypical in the way these people talk about food like this as though humans from certain cultures automatically know how to make them better than 'outsiders'? Like, I doubt my great-great grandfather from China (Shanghai) was learned when it comes to dumplings compared to this Pippa woman who studied them for 15 years, yet people like Roslyn would probably say he had the right to make them and she doesn't. It's weird how many of these types of people end up being potentially more offensive than the ones they criticise.

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2021 1:04 PM

[quote] Every culture has dough stuffed with meat/veg,

Don’t disturb her groove with the facts — she’s reclaiming the narrative and setting her boundaries!

She’s learned to monetize grievance.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote]Roslyn Talusan

Wait, Talusan?

Not related to Meredith Talusan apparently but what a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2021 1:25 PM

R21, there are vegan soup dumplings. (Your question made me curious!).

Someone wrote an article about making them from scratch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2021 1:26 PM

As a Filipino, Ive always wondered how self-hating some filipinos in canada and america are. They always claim they are part spanish or part chinese when they dont look anything like spanish or chinese. When none of their parents or grandparents are actually spanish or chinese. And even if they have a drop of chinese, its usually some really distant great great grandparent. (Yes, there is a chinese community in the philippines, but they dont look anything like these people who claim they are; they also speak fookien and really dont look filipino at all). When they have a spanish sounding surname because spanish colonizers made their great great grandparents choose surnames from a book, they claim to be part spanish. Theres a few spanish and chinese words in their native language, but not much to string anything. Filipino culture is such a mish mash of so many things it isnt anything like spanish or chinese. In my book, this filipina ethnicity writer is appropriating just as much as the people she hates so much.

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2021 1:26 PM

Filipino guys can be very hawt.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2021 1:31 PM

Thanks R26! I'd definitely be curious trying them if I could find them.

I'm curious R25, who's Meredith Talusan?

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2021 8:31 PM

This article is eye-opening. So many types of dumpling! I said above I wasn't that keen on them, but I see now how I was only thinking of one particular type. I love things like empanadas, for example.

This article is also making me very hungry, haha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2021 9:17 PM

Well, that didn't take long, she's back on Twitter, posting her craziness - it's just that only people she follows or mentions can reply, hehe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2021 9:21 PM

My absolute favorite is pot stickers. I've got a 3lb bag of them in the freezer right now. I steam them and then fry them. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2021 9:28 PM

I think I'd prefer them fried to just steamed, I should try that!

I do remember going to yum cha in New Zealand years ago and being pleasantly surprised by the prawn and coriander ones though.

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2021 9:31 PM

The issue is that whites are able to monetize travel writing and food writing in ways that the native populations are not. In other words, the very white publishing world will pay whites to publish books and articles about people; whom they won’t pay to write about themselves.

Her Twitter feed sounds like a Datalounge thread. Instead targeting nonwhites; she targets white men.

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2021 10:25 PM

I wasn't aware that Canada had some ancient dumpling tradition that all other cultures derive theirs from...

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote] The issue is that whites are able to monetize travel writing and food writing in ways that the native populations are not. In other words, the very white publishing world will pay whites to publish books and articles about people; whom they won’t pay to write about themselves.

Really? I can think of quite a few famous, non-white food writers.

I think it’s true that Western publishers will usually publish Western writers, most of whom are white. But the idea that they “won’t” pay non-white writers is absurd, race-baiting nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2021 11:28 PM

Thanks R36. Not to mention, if these other cultures want to get "monetize" their own food, then start your own pubishing companies etc.

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2021 12:01 AM

Damn, it's like they grew this bitch in a lab: Let's invent the most ridiculous twitter twat we can imagine and then let her start writing about white people daring to write about dumplings.

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2021 12:09 AM

Maybe she shouldn't have written her article in English with tech invariably invented in the west while wearing western clothing.

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2021 12:24 AM

Has anyone ever had soup dumplings?

I had it once and it was awesome! They sort of explode in your mouth... LoL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2021 12:34 AM

Boris is psychotic answering and liking his own trolling posts. This thread is his/her work.

The fried dumplings look good though.

by Anonymousreply 41August 27, 2021 3:10 AM

Ugly bitch

by Anonymousreply 42August 27, 2021 5:58 AM

R34

There are many Chinese people successful enough to get their own books published. I have two Chinese cookbooks, both written by Chinese people. One of them is a little too traditional (almost every recipe requires two dozen ingredients), so I use the more quotidian one.

Also, the woke have gone after Chinese writers for wrongthink in publishing, so they're completely hypocritical and full of shit on this. A few years ago, YA authors quashed a book written by a Chinese woman over manufactured woke outrage.

Even most of the restaurant outrage is bogus. Immigrants to the U.S. are looking to make a living rather than share their culture, so they open restaurants that serve Americanized versions of their cuisine. The reason whites open authentic restaurants is because whites are less risk averse. It's no more complicated than that. Not everything is some sort of racist conspiracy. In fact, most things aren't.

by Anonymousreply 43August 27, 2021 6:14 AM

The idea of food appropriation is so profoundly stupid. Every damn culture that could has exchanged food and food preparation ideas. Chinese cooking is filled with chile peppers, which come from the Americas. Every damn country circling the Mediterranean and the Middle East makes a salad out of cucumbers and tomatoes--cukes come from India, tomatoes from Mexico. Potatoes, that mainstay of northern Europe, come from Peru.

Yeah, white writers dominate food writing. IN ENGLISH. Because, even now, most people who write in English are white. Food writing isn't the same as cooking--the ability to use language well matters and while demographics are changing, it's not surprising that most writers in English are white.

It really is another example of that generational narcissism at work. No ability whatsoever to see things from another point of view. Also very much a zero-sum game approach. Everyone is competition who must be destroyed. Really, really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 44August 27, 2021 6:14 AM

[quote] Really? I can think of quite a few famous, non-white food writers. I think it’s true that Western publishers will usually publish Western writers, most of whom are white. But the idea that they “won’t” pay non-white writers is absurd, race-baiting nonsense.

1. Its a generaliation. It doesn't mean that publishers refuse to pay and publish all nonwhite writers. It simply means that, generally speaking, whites are granted opportunities that often are not extended to nonwhites, including documenting and writing about their own culture.

2. The publishing industry is dominated by whites who publish white writers. Generally speaking, like most industries, it is much more difficult for nonwhites to achieve success. Whites hire and promote people with who they feel comfortable. Which is often other whites. Whether its conscious or unconschious (most whites live in a white bubble like you often seemingly unaware of reality outside of it) the results are the same. Nonwhites are locked out of opportunities.

3. This is not race baiting. This is not a really value judgement. Its simply the reality. Racial equality does not exist in this country.

4. Your attempts at skirting over racial inequality in this country are nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 45August 27, 2021 7:43 AM

Funny, she is from Filipina ancestry, which East Asians never consider a part of East Asian culture.

by Anonymousreply 46August 27, 2021 8:17 AM

Can we agree that Filipino cuisine is the most disgusting of the ASEAN cuisines, and one of the world’s worst. That’s where this is coming from: inadequacy.

by Anonymousreply 47August 27, 2021 8:19 AM

I agree R47 I love Malaysian and Singaporean cuisines, not only they have own ways of cooking, but they also know how to add local flairs to others like Chinese or Indian food. Filipino? Not so much, they are not very enlightened.

by Anonymousreply 48August 27, 2021 8:37 AM

R45

The vast majority of the west is white. Thus the vast majority of western books will be written by white people. This does not automatically signal that people of colour are not afforded the same opportunities.

If you have some evidence that this is in fact the case, go ahead and present it. Not doing so is race+baiting.

I don’t think the USA is anything like as racist as you would like to pretend & I know the UK isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 49August 27, 2021 8:37 AM

[quote]"could you be any more of a white woman gaming a system that's set up for you to succeed off our backs?".

Filipino people haven't existed in Canada long enough for there to be a system that's set up for them to succeed off of their backs so I don't know why she feels so hard done by.

And filipino cuisine is like the poster child for "cultural appropriation".

Get a real job, stupid homophobic straight cunt.

by Anonymousreply 50August 27, 2021 12:26 PM

R38, right? It's kinda hilarious, if you were told "she will be upset my white people cooking dumplings", anyone could then fill in the rest of it, and would be spot on, she's so [italic]typical[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2021 1:48 PM

If she's so concerned about cultural appropriation, she should stop speaking English, which was 'appropriated' from the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2021 3:10 PM

Oh god. Ahahahahaha! Seriously.

They sure do, don't they, [italic]Roslyn[/italic]?

[quote]grifters become reactive and defensive when you call them on their grift

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2021 3:12 PM

She's now hashtagging #stopasianhate in regard to what happened to her. I just... it really IS like she was created in a lab, hitting all the points we expect. She wants to be the victim so much!

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2021 11:06 PM

[quote] who's Meredith Talusan?

Oh honey no

let sleeping dogs lie

by Anonymousreply 55August 27, 2021 11:12 PM

Hahaha R55. Fair 'nuff. I'll do some googling myself and not mention it again, hee!

Oh this Roslyn woman is hilarious - she has no self-reflection at all!

[quote]literally no one said that except you. [bold]please stop making up things to get mad about on the internet.[/bold]

Also, for someone who works with writing and making arguments, she seems completely unaware of critical thinking and the fact that invoking logical fallacies (like how she characterises everyone who disagrees with her as "nazi" and "white supremacist") makes her points invalid and not worthy of engagement.

She's now doing that Evy Kwong thing of finding a couple of actual nasty racist statements made towards her and posting them on Twitter as though it's an example of what everyone who criticised her thinks.

by Anonymousreply 56August 27, 2021 11:32 PM

don't forget khinkali (ხინკალი), delicious Georgian dumplings, R21 :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 27, 2021 11:33 PM

Looking at all these pictures of dumplings - they would've been created initially to be a good way to take food with you on trips, wouldn't they? Like portable food in edible containers, I imagine. Just occurred to me then.

by Anonymousreply 58August 27, 2021 11:39 PM

Her dumplings are dry and tasteless. Men would rather pay for dumplings.

by Anonymousreply 59August 27, 2021 11:43 PM

“You make a good hate on dumplings Filipina womans. She racist against white man like Trump. Nmake anbig hate on her may be Tranny?

Boris thank DL for making good hate on Tranny, Negro black, Gay, Lesbo. Boris get sent 16 cabbage from Okrana. And mule to marry. My wifes Scerlana the Bull.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 28, 2021 2:41 AM

My dumplings bring all the boys the hard, and they're like, it's better than yours.

by Anonymousreply 61August 28, 2021 3:22 AM

Wha-? I swear I typed "yard" above. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 62August 28, 2021 3:23 AM

R57, pretty much. Also, because they're small, they're cheap to cook. But, yeah, there are dumplings all across Asia--by which I mean the "white" parts of Asia. And Europe. Chicken and dumplings is an old Anglo-American staple.

I do think the Chinese make particularly delicious dumplings, but dumplings aren't uniquely Chinese by any means.

During lockdown I've been on this international cooking binge and people who aren't trying to score points on Twitter *love* it when you make a sincere and respectful attempt to make or try their culture's food. These online food wars are so counter-productive and not what real life is about.

by Anonymousreply 63August 28, 2021 5:34 AM

[quote]During lockdown I've been on this international cooking binge and people who aren't trying to score points on Twitter *love* it when you make a sincere and respectful attempt to make or try their culture's food. These online food wars are so counter-productive and not what real life is about.

This is EXACTLY right, and why you quickly realise these Twitter people have little to no real world experience and certainly for supposed "anti-racists" clearly have no friends from backgrounds different to them. Because I have been nothing but ENCOURAGED to try creating the food of other cultures. (There were even suggestions made to me of me doing a YouTube channel, cooking things taught to me by friends, amongst our group.) The other thing people have always told me is "don't worry if you don't have the right ingredients, substitute! Experiment! Try new things!" Funnily enough (he said sarcastically), people from different cultures have no issue with making substitutions when necessary, and sometimes, gasp, they find the substitutions and non-traditional way of going about things [italic]better[/italic]!

The Twitter lot have these really weird ideas that people should be restricted from doing anything except their own cultural traditions. It's bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 64August 28, 2021 7:53 AM

Being of primarily UK descent, my cultural tradition is invading and occupying foreign countries to bring better cuisines home.

by Anonymousreply 65August 28, 2021 8:04 AM

DL 'not really fave but occasionally mentioned on here' author Myriam Gurba has retweeted support for Roslyn. If we didn't need more proof that these "academics" never actually look into a situation properly, just jump in to any situation where they can pile on to someone based on racial lines. Facts be damned!

by Anonymousreply 66August 28, 2021 10:38 PM

Any relation to tranny albino DL fave Meredith?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 29, 2021 1:15 AM

Funnily enough, I'd never actually heard of Meredith until someone mentioned her here after finding out Roslyn's surname was also Talusan. Be funny if they were related (not sure though, Talusan could be the Filipino version of Smith perhaps)

by Anonymousreply 68August 29, 2021 1:19 AM

If you look at her Twitter, she really doesn't seem to be wound too tight. Kinda like she's spiraling into some sort of breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 69August 29, 2021 1:24 AM

Is there anything more elitist, more classist, more subjective, and more inane than the politicization of food writing?

by Anonymousreply 70August 29, 2021 1:47 AM

I hate how passive-aggressive this sounds, but I genuinely feel sorry for people like this. Either the outrage and paranoia is performative, which must be emotionally exhausting to keep running 24/7, or the anger fuels naturally, in which case I think they must have deeper issues that they're channeling into stupid shit.

The worst part is, they shut down all rational communication and make themselves profoundly unlikable in the process, so there's no helping them. They just keep piling up more enemies.

by Anonymousreply 71August 29, 2021 1:58 AM

R32, I like frying them first, then steaming them. Pan-fry them with just a little oil until they're brown on the bottom, then throw in a few tablespoons of water and cover the pan for a few minutes until they're done.

by Anonymousreply 72August 29, 2021 2:03 AM

R71 has it right, I think. There really is something very sad about people like this. Life can throw enough at you, imagine intentionally creating all these things to feel aggrieved about, or to have these deeper issues.

Hopefully Roslyn's therapist tells her a few home truths and gets her to own up to herself.

by Anonymousreply 73August 29, 2021 12:28 PM

[quote] The vast majority of the west is white. Thus the vast majority of western books will be written by white people. This does not automatically signal that people of colour are not afforded the same opportunities. If you have some evidence that this is in fact the case, go ahead and present it. Not doing so is race+baiting. I don’t think the USA is anything like as racist as you would like to pretend & I know the UK isn’t.

What “automatically” signals nonwhites “not being afforded the same opportunities” as whites is the documented history that continues up until this day. Which is not to say that there has not been any progress. There has been a lot of progress. However, we are still fighting many of the same battles, fought decades ago, in the United States. There’s an ongoing conversation about the lack of diversity in the publishing industry. Writers continue to write about it. Which is certainly a better gauge than your magical thinking (racism isn’t a problem because I just know it’s not) intuitive notion. Which you presented as “evidence.” You believe that apps any discussion about race that does not present some fairytale perspective is “race-baiting .” Inequality in the United States and abroad are both simply the reality of the world we live in. Why would you attempt to speak for nonwhites in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 74August 30, 2021 3:08 AM

R74 And a British author who went to China to learn the art of dumpling making has precisely what to do with this? Asian-Americans, by the way, make more money and have higher levels of education than Whites. So, I'm really not sure where you think there's tons of *current* discrimination that's preventing anyone of Chinese descent from publishing a book on dumplings. In fact, a quick Google will pull up plenty of books on dumplings by authors of Chinese descent.

But you're like plenty of armchair warriors of woke--you fall back on old tropes and don't want to admit that, yes, times do change and that Talusan's Tweets weren't spurred by righteous indignation, but a kind of cutthroat competitiveness that uses the race angle to tear down a more successful writer.

I mean, God forbid, you actually take a moment to stop your moaning and groaning and do a little research to see if your whining is, in fact, justified.

by Anonymousreply 75August 30, 2021 6:51 AM

What does this have to do with Soleil Moon Ho, the San Francisco Chronicle restaurant critic? All this time I thought this was about Soleil. Did OP link the wrong article or mix up the wrong Asian woman?

by Anonymousreply 76August 30, 2021 7:47 AM

Soleil Ho? Is there also a Don Moon Frye floating around somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 77August 30, 2021 7:53 AM

The idea of food appropriation is absurd. Cooking other cuisines is a celebration of culture and a gateway into learning more about people.

This reminds me of how NYT cook Alison Roman was canceled after suggesting in an interview that Chrissy Teigen and Marie Kondo were selling things disingenuously. Funny that Chrissy turned out to be the actual bully.

by Anonymousreply 78August 30, 2021 12:15 PM

R76 - that article at the OP is the Bitch Media article that was written after Roslyn got all the criticism she did - basically Bitch Media defending Roslyn's tweets.

[quote]Bitch media are trying to defend her, but no one else is having it.

by Anonymousreply 79August 30, 2021 8:42 PM

Hahaha, she just retweeted someone saying this. I see now why she doesn't think it was weird for HER to put a hand out for money now. People will really just argue anything with a bit of emotion to make it 'right':

[quote]IDK what kind of ‘leftist’ or ‘socialist’ you are when your worship of capital is to the point where PoC asking for financial assistance are just ‘grifters’.

[quote]in general i’d be highly wary of any wh1te folk who use that term to describe PoC asking for support

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2021 9:30 PM

wh1te folk?

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2021 10:03 PM

R14, R15 is incorrect and lead you astray. ‘Yt’ is used as a replacement for ‘white’ because using ‘white’ was getting people’s instagrams or twitter accounts placed in moderation or shadow banned for talking about race relations. So ‘yt’ as a phonetic spelling was born. Don’t let that stop R15 getting upset about a perceived insult that doesn’t even exist, it’s not like that’s one of the core complaints of black people in discourse like this or anything 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2021 10:44 PM

A sampling of cookbooks on dim sum and gyoza:

"Gyoza: The Ultimate Dumpling Cookbook: 50 Recipes from Tokyo's Gyoza King - Pot Stickers, Dumplings, Spring Rolls and More! " by Paradise Yamamoto

Chinese Soul Food: A Friendly Guide for Homemade Dumplings, Stir-Fries, Soups, and More By Hsiao-Ching Chou

The Dumpling Galaxy Cookbook by Helen You and Max Falkowitz

Dumpling Cookbook: Delicious Asian Dumpling And Pot Sticker Recipes For Beginners by Kenny Wong

Dumplings for Main Dish 200: Enjoy 200 Days With Amazing Dumplings For Main Dish Recipes by Benjamin Tee

Damn Good Chinese Food: Dumplings, Egg Rolls, Bao Buns, Sesame Noodles, Roast Duck, Fried Rice, and More―50 Recipes Inspired by Life in Chinatown by Chris Cheung and Maneet Chauhan

The Nom Wah Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from 100 Years at New York City's Iconic Dim Sum Restaurant by Wilson Tang and Joshua David Stein

Dumplings for Beginners: 50 Recipes and Simple Step-by-Step Lessons to Make Your Favorite Dumplings by Terri Dien

Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More [A Cookbook] by Andrea Nguyen and Penny De Los Santos

Dumplings All Day Wong: A Cookbook of Asian Delights From a Top Chef by Lee Anne Wong

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2021 11:39 PM

R81, there's a lot of that going around online, I see, for all sorts of words. It's interesting, and I'm not sure I get it. Like someone will write: "Here's the thing about B*ll M*h*r" or something... is it a way of saying: "I don't want to give this person, concept, thing any more attention than this?" or something?

by Anonymousreply 84September 1, 2021 8:28 PM

Well, Roslyn is now retweeting things Evy Kwong is involved in, which makes total sense because they both have strange issues around dumplings. Not that it's about dumplings what she is retweeting, but birds of a feather and all...

by Anonymousreply 85September 1, 2021 8:45 PM

Any online pictures of Roslyn appropriating a cheese burger or a Caesar salad?

by Anonymousreply 86September 1, 2021 8:58 PM

Ahh, but R86, don't you realise? It wouldn't count when it's [italic]her[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 87September 1, 2021 9:18 PM

what’s a good way of shitting all over this journalist on Twitter so she has to fund even MORE therapy?

by Anonymousreply 88September 3, 2021 5:25 AM

I'm not even sure you'd have to do anything, R88, she seems to have a mindset that will lead her to therapy again and again.

But what seems to be really affecting her at the moment is when people point out her hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 89September 3, 2021 11:14 AM

r55 = Saigon blossom Chrysanthemum Tran.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 5, 2021 5:55 PM

I just saw a little thing on NY1 yesterday, about making challah bread from scratch. The lady was all “I encourage everyone to make this!” She was excited about her challah and wanted to share it.

That’s how people are when it comes to food. Try it, eat it, isn’t it delicious? Here’s how to make it.

by Anonymousreply 91September 5, 2021 6:10 PM

Absolutely, R91. People have always been like that about food. Talusan has some serious issues. She sounds insane on her Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 92September 5, 2021 8:35 PM

This has been a fascinating thread thus far. Who the fuck knew dumplings could be so divisive? I detest people who attempt to weaponise food.

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2021 3:35 AM

For some reason I like Chrysanthemum Tran and want to protect her but want to throw Meredith and Alon and Joseph Trembly to the wolves.

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote]I detest people who attempt to weaponise food.

Agreed. Of all the things to get outraged about! But I imagine that's how people like Roslyn make their money - being outraged.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2021 12:12 PM

R95 And by posting her PayPal to her followers begging for therapy money. One of the donations she screenshot said something like “Money is tight for me but you deserve this,” and Roslyn responded with a thank you. Very creepy, televangelist behavior.

by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2021 1:13 PM

No one tell her about Julia Child and French cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2021 6:18 PM

R94 I haven't thought about Chrysanthemum Tran for years. She used to be a DL icon!

by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2021 6:21 PM

Oh wow, I didn't see that R96, but that's so gross and makes me kinda sad too. I mean, that person chose to donate, so I can't feel too bad, I guess, and perhaps they are just trying to signal how amazing they are for doing it, but the scam is SO obvious!

by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2021 8:41 PM

To compensate for the harassment from “Nazis.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2021 8:50 PM

During my search I discovered she has been doing this since at least 2018. The epitome of entitlement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2021 8:53 PM

Oh my god, she's such a grifter!

Oh, except excuse me, under her own rules, she can't be a grifter, because she isn't white, so she can't grift, she can only "ask for financial assistance".

Why do people give money to people like this? I knew a girl once who couldn't pay her bills through her own fault and recklessness (and in reality she could pay her bills, she just didn't think she should because they were higher than she was expecting, due to her recklessness) and she set up a GoFundMe for people to donate and not only did people do it, but when someone quite rightly pointed out she shouldn't be asking for money like this, they all attacked him. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2021 9:14 PM

She actually tweeted this under her begging for money:

[quote]anglo culture really is about spreading your toxic resentment like a cancer, and tearing anyone down who can imagine a better world. and these people just eat it up and regurgitate it so they can feel in control of their lives for 1 second.

How is her begging money for therapy after having to deal with "nazis" (ie people who disagreed with a bad take she had) her imagining a better world? So confusing.

by Anonymousreply 103September 6, 2021 9:17 PM

She’s crying in a bookstore but they’re ignoring her and not even helping her! Boycott that bookstore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 6, 2021 10:38 PM

Her bank account is at -$1500 so please help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2021 10:40 PM

Her co-worker tried to rape her after work hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 6, 2021 10:43 PM

So now she’s donating her donations to other causes? WTF? Why did she even ask for them in the first place? The people who donated wanted to help her, not other causes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 6, 2021 10:53 PM

If she donated $75 she must’ve received a lot more than that from her worshippers.

by Anonymousreply 108September 6, 2021 10:58 PM

I made dumplings once when I made chicken soup from scratch. The had nothing in them but soaked up that delicious chicken soup broth.

by Anonymousreply 109September 6, 2021 11:08 PM

[quote] anglo culture really is about spreading your toxic resentment like a cancer, and tearing anyone down who can imagine a better world. and these people just eat it up and regurgitate it so they can feel in control of their lives for 1 second.

Wow, so. much. projection. going on here...

by Anonymousreply 110September 7, 2021 4:12 AM

Exactly R110, she clearly thinks the worst of everyone else because her own motives are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 111September 7, 2021 11:29 AM

didnt Tran rape a FTM?

by Anonymousreply 112September 10, 2021 1:03 AM

[quote]anglo culture really is about spreading your toxic resentment like a cancer, and tearing anyone down who can imagine a better world.

You ain't seen nothin' yet!

by Anonymousreply 113September 10, 2021 11:25 AM

Team Pippa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 10, 2021 11:31 AM

Pippa looks like a fun person who it would be a joy to hang out with.

Roslyn looks like a miserable scold.

by Anonymousreply 115September 10, 2021 11:47 AM

[quote] A derogatory way to say white

How is “yt” derogatory?

by Anonymousreply 116September 10, 2021 11:49 AM

Yt = whitey.

by Anonymousreply 117September 10, 2021 12:15 PM

While it's true that POC don't have the opportunities in the food world that white people do, they seem to have an edge in publishing books about gyoza and Chinese dumplings. So, it's not worth getting worked up about Pippa's measly book when most glossy cookbooks are either remaindered or sold at book sales or on Ebay.

by Anonymousreply 118September 10, 2021 5:04 PM

On Twitter she claims to have ADHD, which would explain something about how all over the place her tweets, and what she retweets, are.

by Anonymousreply 119September 11, 2021 12:22 AM

Hehehehe.

[quote]Roslyn Talusan blocked me for informing her that Julia Child wasn’t actually French

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 11, 2021 12:45 AM

R119 She has dumplings for brains.

by Anonymousreply 121September 11, 2021 5:48 PM

Mental illness really is a terrible thing

by Anonymousreply 122September 11, 2021 5:55 PM

Roslyn sounds like a grifter and a con artist who is taking advantage of the current social climate to get suckers to fund her lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 123September 11, 2021 5:58 PM

"appropriating others' food."? WTF?

People can eat whatever the fuck they want!

by Anonymousreply 124September 11, 2021 6:00 PM

I think that is EXACTLY who Roslyn Talusan is, R123!

R124, I think people like Roslyn want others to live in a state of perpetual guilt and misery over every decision they make in life.

When I was younger, there was a sketch on a comedy show about a terrible dinner party and it included one guest who, any time someone else was laughing about something, she'd interrupt: "It's just so awful that today 2 million children died of starvation in Ethiopia." That's what people like Roslyn are like, but they don't just want to bring the mood down, they want to make the other people personally responsible too.

by Anonymousreply 125September 12, 2021 3:22 AM

I have a name R125! And for your information, it’s official - my cat has feline AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 126September 12, 2021 1:24 PM

Haha R126! Interestingly though, I wasn't talking about Debbie Downer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 15, 2021 11:51 AM

R23 - 100% agreat. Something with a racial undertone makes me uncomfortable. My exes business partner married a Slovak girl and moved to Thailand to retire. She's been living there for 10 years and is obsessed with learning regional recipes and how to make them (actually, talking to them makes me spend a lot on ingredients because I am a foodie). How would the food not be "authentic" just because it was made by a European? If a Chinese woman lives in America and cooks an authentic Thanksgiving meal, that doesn't make it anymore "authentic". Racist.

by Anonymousreply 128September 15, 2021 12:02 PM

Totally agree, R128. As always these people end up being racist while claiming to be anti-racist.

by Anonymousreply 129September 15, 2021 12:05 PM

Pippa has kind eyes.

by Anonymousreply 130September 15, 2021 12:22 PM

I agree R130! She looks like she'd be a fun person to be around.

by Anonymousreply 131September 15, 2021 12:24 PM

Author Myriam Gurba (occasionally mentioned on here) seems to have really taken Roslyn to her breast since dumpling-gate, regularly retweeting her and commiserating with her. I guess that makes sense since Gurba doesn't believe people should be allowed to write novels about people with whom they don't share the same ancestry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2021 10:19 PM

Does this dumb cunt not know that Germans and I'm sure many other European peoples have eaten dumplings forever?

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2021 10:54 PM

Soup dumplings just aren't worth the trouble.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2021 11:15 PM

R134 My Kreplach are! I only make them once or twice a year for holidays, but they're filled with beef shortribs that I braise. I freeze some for later if I have a big enough batch.

They're like a pierogi on steroids, and delicious in chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2021 11:23 PM

R134 - totally agree. Get mine from Trader Joe's. Thai shrimp or veggie ones. My folks like the pork and chicken ones. I make an insanely delicious Tom Yum and serve some of those on the side. Literally every person who has tried them is always asking for a recipe. The secret? Pop them on a pan, cover them, prepare a sauce made with some soy sauce, brow sugar, ginger and garlic.

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2021 11:24 PM

I know a biracial woman who illustrates kids books. Her last name sounds Jewish, though it’s not a Jewish name (she is half Jewish, though). Her first name is a bland name that any white person might have. One of the books she illustrated was a biography of a famous African American female. She belonged to a Facebook or other online writers and artists group (it was before covid came along, so they weren’t on Zoom where they could see each other). A woman in the group mentioned the book and complained that a white Jewish woman was the illustrator (she didn’t know the illustrator was part of the group). She said it was appropriating African American and only an African American woman should have been hired.

I asked if she let her have it. She said “No. I’m half white. She’ll say I’m not black enough. I really don’t care what she thinks. It’s not worth my time to get involved. I want to get hired to illustrate books. I don’t want to be known as a someone who engages in these one-upmanship online woke contests. I like to keep a low profile.”

I was surprised. But when I thought about it, she’s right. Don’t bother getting involved because if you do, then you become notorious and have to represent some group of people. She just wants to get jobs, which involves working from home, which is a great gig. If the complaint blew up, I guess she’d step in and say something. But it was just a mild kerfuffle.

PS - the woman who complained was white.

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2021 11:44 PM

God, that sounds unfortunately typical of the Roslyn types who complain about this stuff. Good on your friend for having a sensible attitude to it. I would want to say something in the heat of the moment, but of course your friend is correct in how she handled it.

And of course the woman who complained was white. Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 12:11 PM

I'm quite active at Goodreads - (older) white women love love Love any book related to "racism"!

by Anonymousreply 139September 19, 2021 2:35 PM

Just eat, shit and get the fuck out!

by Anonymousreply 140September 19, 2021 2:37 PM

This bitch is tiresome.

And not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2021 2:51 PM

Women sumblimate their jealousies of each other through food, clothes, and books. All I needed to see was pictures of both women to see what the main issue is. If the woke woman was lighter skinned or better looking she would not be spending all of her time online lashing out.

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2021 2:51 PM

R137 All of these small, bitter people have latched onto being woke, but they don't really give a shit about woke causes. They use wokeness as a battering ram to ruin people who they despise on a lizard brain level. The white woman who complained is probably bitter the biracial woman makes good money from getting books published but she does not. Behind every internet crusade is a jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2021 3:01 PM

I think the wokeness is motivated by liberal guilt, R143.

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2021 3:21 PM

I thought food was supposed to be one of the great equalizers, bringing people of different cultures, ethnicities, and religions together. Why then, do some people feel the need to use it to divide people?

They don’t seem to complain when non-whites make money off of whites.

My neighborhood which is comprised of very few Italians has three pizza places in a six block radius. Do we kick them out because they are not serving their own kind?

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2021 3:41 PM

Spaghetti, bagels, ravioli, Danish pastry, gyros, brats, shortbread cookies and various types of cheeses have not been culturally appropriated because they're associated with white people and white people have no culture.

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2021 8:06 PM

It always makes me laugh how people will make fun of white people not eating spices, but then those same people complain if white people cook food with spices because it's appropriation.

R144, I've always got the impression for some people it's all about showing everyone what "good people" they are. So it's really all about them and not the people they claim to be protecting. With Roslyn though, I think she just has a lot of anger in her that she wants to take out on others, and the only thing she thinks she is able to do is attack cookbook authors.

Robin Diangelo is laughing all the way to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 147September 19, 2021 8:29 PM

Can we expect sanity or compassion from anyone working for Bitch Media?

by Anonymousreply 148September 19, 2021 8:31 PM

R148 No, we cannot; only poisonous pus-filled divisive dumplings.

by Anonymousreply 149September 19, 2021 8:34 PM

"Bitch Media" just makes me laugh, what a stupid name.

by Anonymousreply 150September 19, 2021 8:46 PM

Some “white” cultures have always had spicy foods, albeit not with things like curry.

by Anonymousreply 151September 19, 2021 9:07 PM

^That's why it always makes me laugh and roll my eyes. Plus I grew up eating very spicy foods, I bet I could handle it a lot better than Roslyn or Roxane-frigging-Gay.

by Anonymousreply 152September 19, 2021 9:12 PM

Supposedly, there are many reasons why Europeans toned down the use of spices. When everyone had access to spices, they no longer were a status symbol. European cuisines began to accentuate natural flavors rather than layering contrasting flavors as Indian cuisine does. ​Gross generalizations, all but that's what NPR had to say.

If you look at the diets of factory workers, it was gruel, gruel, gruel, porridge, porridge, porridge--not always helped by the addition of chili peppers. Booze was what people used to warm themselves, not mole sauce.

The people who are angry about Columbusing certain foods forget that sharing and adapting native foods was a route to the middle class for the Chinese, Thai, Greek, German, Jewish, Mexican, Lebanese, Syrian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Italian immigrants..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 19, 2021 9:59 PM

Thanks so much for sharing, R153. I love reading and hearing about these slices of history.

by Anonymousreply 154September 20, 2021 8:15 AM

I remember some Twitter SJW complaining about white ‘folks’ using chopsticks when ordering food in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant. She took it a step further and said white people shouldn’t eat the food at all, ever.

She was not Asian, btw.

by Anonymousreply 155September 20, 2021 11:41 AM

That's INSANE R155. What a stupid thing for her to say. Incidentally, I've been using chopsticks regularly since I was a kid - we had them in the house and it was fun to practise using them. She'd probably smack them out of my hand.

This, I think, is the issue with social media - everyone can use it, therefore people who aren't wound too tight use it, and people think we have to take their opinions seriously.

by Anonymousreply 156September 20, 2021 11:57 AM

[quote]She was not Asian, btw.

Hahahaha! Of course she wasn't. My god these people are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 157October 1, 2021 10:47 PM

Perogies are dumplings.

by Anonymousreply 158October 1, 2021 10:51 PM

I don't really like dumplings that much, or thought I didn't, but reading this thread has made me want to try them again, (and also realise that a lot more is considered a dumpling out there than just the Chinese style ones - like empanadas, which I do enjoy a lot). I think with me it stems from having an upset stomach as a child after eating a heap of them.

Anyone know if you can get gluten free dumplings and if they are any good? I'm talking of the Chinese style ones. I have trouble with gluten, can eat a bit of it if needed, but if there are nice gf ones out there, I would definitely try them.

by Anonymousreply 159October 1, 2021 11:01 PM

Are you Asian? Why are you trying to eat Chinese style ones? Stick with your own kind.

by Anonymousreply 160October 2, 2021 7:24 PM

Mea culpa, Roslyn at R160. You're right, I should stick to my own kind and do better. This will help relations between people so much more.

The only thing is... my DNA results from Ancestry show a very small Chinese percentage... would I be able to take this to Chinese restaurants as proof and eligibility to eat their food?

by Anonymousreply 161October 2, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote] Are you Asian? Why are you trying to eat Chinese style ones? [bold] Stick with your own kind.[/bold]

Funny how some people, mostly GAM, then scream and play the racism card when gay white men want to do just that on dating sites or Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 162October 3, 2021 8:50 AM

SJWs are mentally ill people that are currently taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 163October 3, 2021 9:03 AM

I think Roslyn is definitely mentally ill; just looking at her rants on Twitter, it's kinda hard to know what she's talking about half the time. She seems to hate everyone and is complaining about everything, and it never makes much sense.

by Anonymousreply 164October 3, 2021 11:24 AM

Dumplings made with rice flour are gluten-free--so, not the fried ones, but steamed ones with the white, not yellowish, casings should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 165October 4, 2021 7:14 PM

Can someone please tell me what ethnicity water and wheat are?

by Anonymousreply 166October 4, 2021 7:17 PM

Thanks R165!

Ooh good point, R166. Maybe only Roslyn is allowed to eat wheat!

by Anonymousreply 167October 4, 2021 8:31 PM

Water was invented by strong trans womyn of color

by Anonymousreply 168October 5, 2021 12:46 AM

We can drink water and eat wheat, we just have to be conscious [italic]at all times[/italic] of the great damage done historically when people who didn't invent these consumables consumed them.

by Anonymousreply 169October 5, 2021 10:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!