Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Foods You Eat When You’re Sick

For many people it’s what your mom or caretaker fed you when you got sick. Sometimes it’s rooted in your own ethnic food culture.

As a kid when I stayed home from school due to flu or cold, my mom (who was Taiwanese/ Japanese) used to make savory steamed eggs for me to eat. Savory steamed eggs are Chinese in origin and can be as simple as stock and eggs to stock and eggs plus additions like leftover meat or shrimp.

Now my go-to homemade food when I’m under the weather is what I call ‘root soup’. It’s basically sodium-free vegetable stock, carrots, potatoes, celery, and onions, seasoned only with crushed ginger, slow-cooked in instant pot and ready under an hour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 26, 2021 6:38 PM

My mother's sick day go-to was ginger ale and three soft-boiled eggs over very buttery pieces of toast ripped up in a bowl. Lots of salt and pepper.

I still eat it when I have a cold.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2021 6:59 PM

chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2021 7:00 PM

7-Up and strawberry ice cream

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2021 7:02 PM

I don’t know why but when I’m sick with a cold I always want orange juice (which I otherwise never drink) and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich .

That root soup recipe looks great, gonna try it - thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2021 7:03 PM

r1 I was just about to mention that meal. Don't forget the Jello and Aspergum!

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2021 7:03 PM

warm 7-up

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2021 7:04 PM

Pastina with egg and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2021 7:05 PM

My mother's sick day go-to was nothing. She worried more that I would be sick and home on her day off from work.

As an adult I always try to have homemade chicken noodle soup frozen in case I get sick which fortunately is rarely.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2021 7:05 PM

Campbell’s tomato soup with saltines, and ginger ale. I still remember how the tomato soup didn’t feel great on my sore throat, but it’s what I crave (and at times have) whenever I’m not feeling well.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2021 7:06 PM

I used to live in close proximity to an old school Cantonese Chinese restaurant. When sick, I'd order (takeout) wonton soup with noodles. Very comforting. They also had a really good shrimp & broccoli with tons of garlic (and white rice).

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2021 7:06 PM

I had the flu when I was in elementary school. Didnt make it to the bathroom in time and my mom slapped me so hard I saw stars.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2021 7:08 PM

Nigella’s cold cure soup or Tom yum soup.

Toast with a lot of butter and a little marmalade.

Goldfish

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2021 7:09 PM

r9 did you put butter and milk in the soup?

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2021 7:09 PM

Same here, R7. I don't usually buy pastina anymore, though. Now, I make a broth from Better Than Bouillon, cook vermicelli to put in it, add the beaten egg for the egg drop part and add cheese. A bit of chopped parsley if I have it.

If I have a cold, I make potions with lemon, honey, chili peppers, black pepper, vodka, etc

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2021 7:09 PM

^^ that sounds good

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2021 7:10 PM

Saltines and ginger ale (from a can, and we were never allowed pop in cans except as a huge treat). Sometimes with tomato soup. Wonder if we're similar backgrounds and ages R9?

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2021 7:12 PM

My mother was fond of Mrs. Grass' chicken noodle soup, with the "golden nugget" of chicken flavoring (probably a bouillon cube). This came in a packet. Usually when we had chicken noodle soup, it came from a can, but Mrs. Grass' was reserved for illness. I knew other kids who had the same experience.

Ginger ale also was for sick days.

I don't do anything special when I'm sick besides looking at what's in the freezer and pushing fluids.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2021 7:13 PM

A Greek friend in college used to have very softboiled eggs whenever she was feeling sick to her stomach. To me, snotty eggs (and I usually like barely cooked eggs) are one of the last things I'd want to even look at when I'm feeling pukey.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2021 7:13 PM

Campbell's Tomato Soup is not the same thing it was in the 80s. I try it every now and again and am always disappointed. It was never good quality, but it's unbearably sweet - and barely tomato-y - now.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2021 7:15 PM

Coffee and cigarettes

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2021 7:19 PM

Shin yun spicy ramen noodles. Yes this is what I have on tap as my go to when I’m feeling sick. It clears your sinuses up and makes your throat feel better. So soothing when I eat them.

I get a whole box them from Amazon unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2021 7:22 PM

I like to have pho when I'm sick. And I normally hate brothy soups.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]My mother was fond of Mrs. Grass' chicken noodle soup, with the "golden nugget" of chicken flavoring (probably a bouillon cube). This came in a packet. Usually when we had chicken noodle soup, it came from a can, but Mrs. Grass' was reserved for illness. I knew other kids who had the same experience.

R17 - My ex-wife taught me about Mrs. Grass. I always wanted to believe that "golden nugget" had some chicken fat in it. I turned her on to adding the egg and cheese so our sons grew up with that. Anyway, I can't seem to find Mrs. Grass anymore so that how I started making my own version.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2021 7:25 PM

Gin. Straight up.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2021 7:30 PM

My mom, when she bothered, opened a can of chicken soup and maybe ginger ale

As an adult, it's hot and sour soup if I have a sire throat or congestion. (Thanks to COVID precautions, I haven't been sick in two years.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2021 7:31 PM

R7 and R14 same here, Pastina with a scrambled egg cooked in the broth with Parmesan, milk and butter as a child. As an adult I do the egg drop in chicken both separately from the pastina with lots of butter and Parmesan. When I was very sick a few years ago one of my brothers bought me a case of pastina for Christmas.

Mrs, Grass we just had with lunch on Sundays and I was often in charge of making it. I always added extra egg noodles.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2021 7:35 PM

Yeah, hot and sour soup is good when you're sick. Unfortunately, I no longer live near a good source for hot and sour soup.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2021 7:35 PM

I'd never heard of Pastina before. It's a bunch of little tiny stars!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2021 7:36 PM

I got saltines and a little juice glass of 7-Up if I was sick as a kid. As an adult I just make sure to hydrate with water and Propel, and I've always got a can or two of Campbell's original homestyle chicken noodle soup on hand.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2021 7:38 PM

I make giant pots of tea in my coffeemaker

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2021 7:40 PM

Stars and love R28.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2021 7:41 PM

I’ve never heard of Pastina or Mrs. Grass. But my mother, who couldn’t cook, used to make us ginger ale with ice that she chipped by hand with an ice pick. Very luxurious.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2021 7:45 PM

R4 Yes, the root soup is simple and no need to add salt to it. It’s important to stay hydrated when you’re sick, and most people eat too much added sodium in diet anyway. Salty foods would dehydrate you even more when you’re sick. Nutritionally, potato is a powerhouse with B vitamins, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, zinc, etc…. Carrots provide carotene, vitamin A, more potassium. Onions have quercetin which is a flavonoid highly anti-inflammatory. What you get in such a simple soup is the taste of the vegetables, and celery actually has a high sodium level for a vegetable, so it’s perfect in unsalted soups.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2021 7:46 PM

Speaking of soups, let's not forget the curative powers of pho! My go-to hangover food (back in the day when I drank more) was pho. If I went to work hungover and by lunch I still felt bad, I'd go and get pho. It would either put me back on the map or if it didn't, it was time to go home. In general, it put me back on the map. I had some last Saturday for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2021 7:46 PM

I'm not sick, but I'm going to have pastina with parmigiano-reggiano for dinner tonight. Thanks to all who mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2021 7:46 PM

R33 I was thinking that root soup sounded very healthy as well! Especially if the liquid it's cooked in isn't drained. Lots of good stuff in there for sickies.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2021 7:49 PM

Toast and Vernors. My mom would warm the Vernors up in the microwave and would stir out the bubbles. It was like a magic elixir.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2021 7:50 PM

What the he is Vernors?

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2021 7:51 PM

Vernor's is ginger ale, r38.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2021 8:09 PM

In Pittsburgh, for stomach issues, Tom Tucker Mint Ginger Ale. My mom often would make biscuits from scratch or fresh bread when we were sick. My grandmother was a big believer in Paregoric (weak opiate). Both also insisted on mild black tea as a cure all.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2021 8:26 PM

When sick, I have always leaned towards brothy soups, either chicken or beef based. I like to augment simple ramen soups with some canned chicken, hominy, green chili powder, and chopped cilantro. For beverages, I use hot decaffeinated tea, diet ginger ale or diet 7-Up.

Then there's the big guns, for use when I have severe respiratory illness, fluid in the lungs, sinus drainage, fever, etc.

𝐂𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐟 𝐏𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐨 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐢 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐩

1 32oz package Owens Breakfast Sausage, Hot

18 Poblano Peppers, tops removed, seeded and cored, chopped into 1 inch pieces

1 large White Onion, cut into quarters

6 Serrano Peppers, chopped into coarse pieces

3 bundles Cilantro leaves, chopped

2 tbs Chicken Broth Concentrate (I generally use Tones paste)

2 cups Instant Potato Flakes

4 cups frozen corn, heated and drained

1 cup Heavy Cream

Tortilla chips

Shredded cheese (Jack, cheddar, or a mix)

Sour Cream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slice the Owen's sausage into eight sections, flatten into patties, and fry in a non-stick frypan; brown sufficiently to achieve a crust on both sides. Place patties on paper towels to drain grease; set aside.

In an 8-Qt stew pot, place the chopped cilantro, onions, and peppers. (Warning: do not touch your eyes. Pepper juice will burn you!) Add enough water to the pot where you can see it just below the level of the peppers. Simmer with a tilted lid on medium heat until the vegetables cook down and become soft, perhaps an hour to an hour and a half. (While cooking, beware of pepper fumes from the steam. It can be intense, especially at first.) Add chicken broth concentrate; stir through. Remove from heat.

In batches, ladle the hot mixture into the hopper of a blender, no more than two thirds full per batch. (Rubber blender lids typically have a detachable clear cap in the center; remove this to allow steam to escape during blending. Protect yourself from explosive splashback when starting/stopping the blender by using a wad of paper towels over the lid opening. Be very careful! Hot liquid is caustic!) Puree each batch, starting on a lower blender speed and increasing to a higher speed, perhaps a minute per batch. While blending, add a little of the Instant Potato Flakes per batch; this lends body to the soup. Pour each blended batch of soup into a wire strainer, held over a container large enough to receive the whole batch of soup. The strainer will catch little green flecks, the skin of the peppers which has come off during the cooking/blending process. Gently tap the strainer against the top of the container to get the soup to pass through, while catching the skins. Discard the skins in the sink, and rinse the strainer between batches. (If the skins are left in, the soup will be bitter.)

Typically, about eight blending batches will process all of the soup, with potato flakes blended in. To be thorough, I strain the soup a second time, pouring it through the strainer back into the 8-Qt stew pot. This helps catch any remaining skins that got through the first time. The soup should be smooth, and dark green. Add the hot, drained corn kernels to the soup, as well as the cup of heavy cream. Crumble the fried sausage patties into the soup, and stir through.

Ladle into bowls over crumbled tortilla chips; top with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired. (The sour cream functions as a palliative, if one finds the soup too spicy. Stirred through, it tones down the heat. I don't use any myself, but my best friend likes it that way.) Poblano soup is not only delicious, but has a therapeutic effect on congestion and sore throats, and the same overall benefits as chicken soup.

Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2021 8:48 PM

r28 Not just pasta stars but tiny: bowties, shells, alphabet letters, peppercorns(called acini di pepe)tubes(ditalini or tubettini) rice(orzo) melon seeds(seme de mellone) The stuff made for babies was even smaller, and I remember one variety was an egg pasta.

I share with many the memory of ginger ale being for sick children, but also sometimes 7-Up. Flat Coke for an upset stomach was popular as well. Not a food, per se, but because I had asthma when I was young my grandmother would make a concoction of warmed milk, sugar, butter and a few drops of whisky. That always calmed my racking coughs, tasted terrible though. When I'm sick nowadays (knock wood) it's all liquids all the time: clear broths, Gatorade, Ribena, diluted iced tea and lots and lots of water. Spare me the solid foods when I'm not up to par.

And DEFINITELY not a food, but does anyone remember mustard plasters?

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2021 8:50 PM

[quote]And DEFINITELY not a food, but does anyone remember mustard plasters?

I remember 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 about them, Bronzie/R42, but if any were ever applied to me, I don't recall. (I guess I'm only an IronAgeGay.) My mom and grandmother tended to slather me in Vicks Vapo-Rub, which more or less served the same function.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2021 8:56 PM

Chicken soup, hot tea, toast and orange juice.

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2021 8:57 PM

r43 Pleased to me you, Ironie? Vick's was fine for what it was, and it was in the arsenal for childhood sicknesses in my home, but it in no way resembled the scorching heat of a freshly-applied mustard plaster. If you ever had one, you'll never forget the experience. Just thinking it makes me break out into a sweat.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2021 9:10 PM

I drink warm chicken bone broth with lots of pepper, garlic and rosemary. Sometimes I'll stir an egg in but after seeing the Chinese steamed egg recipe, I'll have to attempt that and maybe toss some minced garlic on top.

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote]chicken bone broth

Isn't that the same as chicken stock?

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2021 9:13 PM

7-up, sherbet, saltines, chicken broth.

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2021 9:19 PM

r47 Stock is primarily bones, broth has a lot of meat and vegetables in it. Bone broths seem to be cooked for a few days in order to extract everything possible.

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2021 9:21 PM

When I have the flu or a cold I crave childhood comfort foods of pop tarts and cream of wheat (Mom used to give me Cocoa Wheat). I sub fruit punch flavor Gatorade for the Hawaiian Punch she gave me. Still red sugar water but I can pretend it’s a bit healthier.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2021 9:31 PM

For some reason, I can tell I'm getting sick when I have to have microwaved Diet Dr. Pepper.

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2021 9:44 PM

R4 I want orange juice, with a plain peanut butter sandwich or peanut butter toast, too!

Other must haves when sick are: Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (aka Kraft Dinner) or top ramen made by draining the noodles, adding 1/2 the seasoning packet and softboiling an egg during the prep; add to finished seasoned noodles with cracked pepper. Stouffers creamed chipped beef on toast. Or ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2021 9:48 PM

R49 is correct. The chicken bone broth extracts all the nutrients from inside the bone. It's even better if the bone are roasted beforehand so a smokiness comes through.

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2021 9:50 PM

When I'm sick, I usually completely lose my appetite.

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2021 9:52 PM

Butter pecan ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2021 9:54 PM

R13 Butter & milk in tomato soup! YES! The milk isn't terribly uncommon, but I don't personally know anyone else who puts butter in their tomato soup. I like to put the pat of butter in the soup when I serve it, so there are rivulets and swirls of melted butter on the surface. I also like to add crisped bacon from time to time.

My go-to sick food is my homemade chicken noodle, or French Onion soup. I keep some of one or the other in the freezer at all times. It's made from scratch, and absolutely wonderful if I do say so myself.

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2021 11:21 PM

When I had a cough, my mom gave me a spoon of Courvoisier (Cognac) or Drambuie. I remember getting a little buzz from that. One time, my cough was pretty much over, but I was acting as if I were "in need" of some Courvoisier. She looked at my face and said, "No, you just want some Courvoisier."

by Anonymousreply 57August 19, 2021 12:21 AM

I used to love the taste of St. Joseph’s baby aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 58August 19, 2021 12:26 AM

R58 I used to like cherry flavored Sucrets cough drops which turned my tongue red after eating so many.

by Anonymousreply 59August 19, 2021 12:46 AM

R59 my sick days growing up were all about sitting on my parents’ bed, watching The Price is Right, and chomping on cherry Sucrets

by Anonymousreply 60August 19, 2021 12:51 AM

R60 me too, and I also watched whichever game shows that came before and after The Price is Right. After the game shows I would lose interest when the soaps came on. Then it was on to reruns of old 60s or 70s shows on the non-big 3 network channels. In between the shows my mom would try to ply me with more food.

by Anonymousreply 61August 19, 2021 1:06 AM

^^^ I meant to write as R59

by Anonymousreply 62August 19, 2021 1:07 AM

I remember the (delicious) flavours of both baby aspirin (which can now be bought in Canada again after decades of me not being able to find it) and the cherry Sucrets. Mmmm. Add the taste of Flintstones vitamin in there and it's a gourmet childhood meal.

by Anonymousreply 63August 19, 2021 1:08 AM

Mustard plaisters, BronzeAge! Damn you really are from the olden days (I'm joking, but I remember reading about plaisters and their use in 16th England lol).

by Anonymousreply 64August 19, 2021 1:09 AM

Usually Campbells chicken noodle soup, it used to be chicken with rice soup but they must have changed the recipe , it's not the same as I remember when I was a kid. Also the usual, ginger ale (Canada Dry) and Premium Plus soda crackers.

by Anonymousreply 65August 19, 2021 1:14 AM

It is probably all in my mind but Chicken Soup really does make me feel better when I am under the weather, so I always keep a couple of cans in the pantry. Homemade is better when I am feeling crappy I am not cooking.

by Anonymousreply 66August 19, 2021 1:15 AM

Yes R65, exactly those brands! I even remember the campbells chicken soup with rice.

Also health tip for those making bone broth simmered for days: there's a shitload of lead in the bones of most industrial (and some more traditionally farmed) poultry. And yes, it leaches into stock.

by Anonymousreply 67August 19, 2021 1:20 AM

OP I love Japanese comfort food. I lived there in the 90s and it's still my go-to when I'm sick-- kombucha (not the stuff sold in US stores) and okayu.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2021 1:23 AM

Yes, I remember the chicken soup foir a cold. It was Campbell's chicken noodle, and I keep cans of the kind with the very skinny noodles (it's the Healthy Request Homestyle model) even today. It really does make you feel better, especially with garlic (from a garlic press) mixed in. I also blitz the cold with vitamin C--a ton of it. It chases the cold away faster than anything, and you don't have a very runny nose, either.

Flu was always exciting when we were kids because we were allowed the ginger ale that everyone has mentioned--normally, we weren't allowed to have soda pop at all. We were also given toast but no butter on it, only jam.

I also remember a contrivance that looked like something out of The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It gave off steam, but I don't recall what it was for.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2021 1:28 AM

Mrs. Grass' is still around, but the nugget is gone. i always liked it more than Campbell's.

by Anonymousreply 70August 19, 2021 1:29 AM

OP, don't brag about using crappy sodium-free commercial vegetable stock for what you call "homemade" soup.

If you're too lazy to make your own stock in advance or too inexperienced to know how to make vegetarian soup without garbaging it up with slop stock (it's called reduction, honey), please don't create a thread just so you can squawk about your own nasty, fake porridge.

by Anonymousreply 71August 19, 2021 1:32 AM

You sound upset, R71. Did someone put sodium-free commercial vegetable stock in your Cheerios?

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2021 1:37 AM

Thanks, OP, R33, good to know those properties.

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2021 1:49 AM

Bronze, I remember the tiny alphabet letter pasta and have been looking for it in the store. My Italian nan used to make me homemade soup with them, but sometimes she just served them with butter. I can still taste that!

by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2021 1:55 AM

Sick, but not nauseous: Kimchi-jjigae or golden curry with spam, white rice and banchan. My partner is Korean and I have adopted his comfort food traditions.

If I have stomach issues, I want bland creamy things like flan, rice pudding or tapioca pudding (usually the cheap Senor Rico single-serve crap from the supermarket).

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2021 1:57 AM

R21 those Shin Yun noodles are my favourite thing❤️

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2021 2:06 AM

R33 Sodium. Huh. I am vegan, scrupulous about food - organic, no or little added, etc. But when I am nauseated of flu-ey, nothing helps like something really salty. I've even found eating salty corn chips really helps. I guess this is sort of aligned to the saltine crackers so many have mentioned here.

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2021 2:07 AM

Feed me cherry flavored Sucrets!!

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2021 2:24 AM

Warm coke with lemon

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2021 2:26 AM

John the Textbook Troll is back!!

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2021 2:33 AM

R80, is that OP?

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2021 2:37 AM

Who the fuck is that, R81? Anyway, I’m not him.

R71 Well, between growing all of my own food including harvesting and grinding my own wheat without the help of modern tools,, there’s little time to make my own vegetable stock.

by Anonymousreply 82August 19, 2021 2:48 AM

Matzoh ball

by Anonymousreply 83August 19, 2021 2:52 AM

R83 with extra salt on it for course

by Anonymousreply 84August 19, 2021 2:56 AM

Αυγολέμονο Greek chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 85August 19, 2021 2:59 AM

[quote] but I don't personally know anyone else who puts butter in their tomato soup.

My grandmother did. She’d ladle the soup into bowls and before bringing it to the table, she’d drop a chunk of butter in each bowl.

by Anonymousreply 86August 19, 2021 3:06 AM

r64 I be old! Our local drug store sold the ingredients for the plaster, and they had to be cooked, with water, on the stove to the consistency of thick oatmeal. When it was done, this mash was spooned into a cotton bag, and then into something thicker(I remember it was something like, or may have actually been, leather) Flattened out and then quickly applied to the chest, where the searing heat was supposed to help break congestion. It took some considerable time to be comfortably warm. The "beauty" of the plaster was its extreme malleability, it could conform to any part of the body one wished to heat up.

by Anonymousreply 87August 19, 2021 3:13 AM

Baked potatoes, soup and broths, toast butter and jam, butter cookies, bananas, canned fruit, applesauce. etc

by Anonymousreply 88August 19, 2021 3:13 AM

Another vote for Mrs. Grass with the flavor egg. To this day, I prefer powdered yellow chicken soup from a box above all others.

by Anonymousreply 89August 19, 2021 3:22 AM

To those wanting an alternative to Campbell's chicken noodle soup, try:

1. Progresso chicken and wild rice.

2. Progresso Chickarina (little bit salty, though).

Best prices, IME, are at Target.

by Anonymousreply 90August 19, 2021 3:25 AM

Buttered egg noodles or buttered (with a pinch of salt) white rice. Ginger Ale for a beverage.

by Anonymousreply 91August 19, 2021 3:41 AM

How do some of you sickies have enough energy to cook? When I’m sick, I don’t feel like getting out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 92August 19, 2021 3:44 AM

Vegetable and chicken soup.

by Anonymousreply 93August 19, 2021 3:55 AM

R87 I had no idea that plaster was a thing, I’m glad for your elder-eldergay insights on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 94August 19, 2021 4:13 AM

Bowl of cereal. Only thing I can keep down when sick. Never occurs to me to have a bowl when well.

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2021 4:16 AM

I don't know how I developed a taste for this, but I like drinking peach juice when sick. Orange juice can be too acidic.

by Anonymousreply 96August 19, 2021 4:19 AM

Flat 7 up and Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. Not sure why the 7UP had to be flat but mom insisted.

As an adult, I have tried, but cannot eat Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup because it reminds me of being sick. I was sick a lot as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 97August 19, 2021 4:23 AM

Coke (not diet), Campbells chicken noodle soup, saltines

by Anonymousreply 98August 19, 2021 4:26 AM

My dad was old when I was born and also came from Appalachia, and I remember him suggesting a mustard plaster when I was sick. Mom looked at him like he had three heads. But she was one of those moms who wanted to give Ipecac for everything under the sun, so she probably shouldn't have copped an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2021 9:05 AM

The Campbell's soups have changed but I really think the one called Homestyle Chicken Noodle is basically the same if you get the condensed version. It can be hard to find. The microwavable and ready-to-eat homestyle versions aren't the same.

by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2021 9:07 AM

There are better soups than Campbells in most grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2021 9:10 AM

R101 I normally buy higher end soups but when I am sick the bland Campbells chicken noodle is soothing

by Anonymousreply 102August 19, 2021 10:39 AM

Meatball parm.

by Anonymousreply 103August 19, 2021 11:03 AM

[quote]I normally buy higher end soups but when I am sick the bland Campbells chicken noodle is soothing

Same, and that's why I brought it up. This isn't the "best canned soup" thread, it's the "food you eat when you're sick" thread.

by Anonymousreply 104August 19, 2021 11:40 AM

When I was a kid it was Lipton's noodle soup with a beaten egg for lunch and a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner whenever I was sick.

by Anonymousreply 105August 19, 2021 11:44 AM

R100: As far as I can tell, the Healthy Request Homestyle Chicken Noodle (condensed, with the thin noodles) hasn't changed over the years.

If you're having trouble finding it, you can order a set of twelve for surprising little money on Amazon. It constantly sells out, but if you wait a few days, it comes back on.

Twelve cans may seem a burden, but if you're one of those who finds the soup refreshing even when you're not sick, it's a worthy purchase. Just save a few in case you catch cold.,

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2021 11:55 AM

^^^surpisingLY

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2021 12:01 PM

Grew up in Asia. Congee, sticky rice, even nori and salmon. If I'm sick to my stomach, strangely, I can only manage an apple.

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2021 12:05 PM

R92 I think a lot of us are reminiscing about childhood sick foods. As an adult there is no sick food, I just lie in bed feeling terrible, sometimes actually crying out of loneliness and self pity, and hoping I get better before the pets starve to death.

by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2021 9:36 PM

Cream of wheat

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2021 10:38 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2021 8:12 PM

Pastina.

Heartwarming to see pastina already mentioned by r7, r14, r26 and r35.

by Anonymousreply 112August 25, 2021 9:01 PM

Another for hot and sour soup.

Szechuan and fiery, peppery hot dishes, or King Pao Chicken (the crunchiness of the peanuts, like that of the fried crispy noodles that come with hot and sour soup appeals somehow.Anything heady with ginger.

Sometimes hotter Indian dishes.

Chile con carne

Chicken pot pie at the bland end of things.

Vanilla milkshakes when I've turned the corner and am beginning to feel a bit better.

Ginger ale, or ginger tea

by Anonymousreply 113August 25, 2021 9:22 PM

White Castle frozen cheeseburger sliders. I know.

by Anonymousreply 114August 25, 2021 10:20 PM

When I'm not feeling well, I like hot and sour soup from my local Chinese take-out place or Panera brand Lemon Chicken Orzo.

by Anonymousreply 115August 25, 2021 10:25 PM

Ass.

by Anonymousreply 116August 25, 2021 10:34 PM

chicken pot pie is not bland!!!11!

by Anonymousreply 117August 25, 2021 11:12 PM

As a child I used to get strep throat all the time, Other than that I never got sick.

I wasn’t able to eat anything with my sore throat and I would just drink ice cold water and diet soda to numb my tonsils. Not much cooking to do for my mother until the penicillin kicked in.

Even as an adult, when I get a really bad cold or the flu, I never have an appetite appetite. I pretty much drink some fresh juice, plenty of water, and just sleep it off.

by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2021 11:56 PM

Pink tacos

by Anonymousreply 119August 26, 2021 12:30 AM

Elderlez, I loved the baby aspirin, too, so much that I got my hands on the bottle as a toddler and gobbled a bunch of them down before my dad caught me and intervened.

Growing up, we were given saltines and 7-up if we were sick to our stomachs. Chicken soup if we had a respiratory bug, and yes, cherry Sucrets. Loved those! What I most remember about the former is how strict our mother was about withholding food for a full 24 hours after we last barfed. My appetite would come back with a vengeance before the time was up, and I would count down the hours until I could eat again, drooling through Hungry Jack biscuit ads and the like. Torture. Usually my fast was broken with kraft macaroni and cheese because I loved it so much.

I rarely get stomach bugs any more, thankfully, now it's usually respiratory infections. I eat all the soup I can manage, doesn't matter much which kind. But if I lose my appetite completely, call the coroner, I'm not long for this world!

by Anonymousreply 120August 26, 2021 12:33 AM

Consumer Reports said that when one has a cold the best thing(s) to eat - not chicken soup but lots of fruits and vegetables. They contain lots of beneficial compounds that may lessen the severity of the cold.

by Anonymousreply 121August 26, 2021 12:41 AM

Semen.

by Anonymousreply 122August 26, 2021 1:16 AM

If I had an upset stomach my grandmother gave me cold black coffee. She gave it to me when I was young enough to still use a baby bottle. I clearly remember being handed those bottles of black coffee. For colds and such it was her homemade chicken soup, cherry jello sometimes, dry very dark toasted, white bread toast, mashed potatoes. If I had some kind of chest/lung congestion I was taken off all dairy. When I had measles for some reason I was kept in a dark room, I had and have no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 123August 26, 2021 1:27 AM

R123, photosensitivity/photophobia is one of the symptoms of measles for some people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 26, 2021 2:14 AM

Thanks R124. I wondered about that all my life. I had measles when I was 2. I guess my grandmother was a sharp cookie.

by Anonymousreply 125August 26, 2021 2:27 AM

OP, I made the recipe you provided with chicken bone broth instead of water and it was fantastic!! It was like a really soft flan. I used liquid aminos to garnish along with the chives. So delicious.

by Anonymousreply 126August 26, 2021 4:38 AM

Vagina

Beef Curtains

Tuna melts

Catfish

Sushi

by Anonymousreply 127August 26, 2021 4:50 AM

Buttered toast, and it tastes better cut into 4 pieces like Mom did for me. :)

by Anonymousreply 128August 26, 2021 8:44 AM

Vietnamese Pho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 26, 2021 9:11 AM

If I am in a flump and cba to do anything, mashed potatoes mixed with garlic and a little bit of cheese and butter, rounded into patties and either grilled or fried until golden brown on either side. Basically empty calories, but so nice.

by Anonymousreply 130August 26, 2021 9:52 AM

Campbell’s Scotch Broth. Barley and mutton. Unfortunately they do not make it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 131August 26, 2021 11:56 AM

R123, that brings back sweet memories of my grandmother. Whenever I stayed with her from age 6 and up, she would have her afternoon coffee with me. My "coffee" consisted of a teaspoon of coffee with hot milk in a fancy cup with a fancy saucer. We would sit outside and enjoy our cake or pastry and chat. I really miss her.

by Anonymousreply 132August 26, 2021 1:53 PM

Upset stomach - Ginger ale

Virus - Campbells chicken noodle soup unless she had the fixings for homemade chicken soup which was much better.

by Anonymousreply 133August 26, 2021 2:10 PM

My mom used to mash a half (?) aspirin into a dish of orange sherbet (my favorite flavor).

by Anonymousreply 134August 26, 2021 2:54 PM

Always ginger ale when we were sick. It was the only type of soda my mother allowed in the house. When sick, I usually liked blander foods like a baked potato with butter, chicken noodle soup, or oatmeal with a little maple syrup. Usually baked chicken and baked potato for dinner. I'd always have a sugar craving after the first day, too, so anything sugary, particularly Reese's peanut butter cups, would satisfy that urge.

by Anonymousreply 135August 26, 2021 4:32 PM

Campbell's cream of celery soup.

by Anonymousreply 136August 26, 2021 4:47 PM

First sign of cold or flu i make a large pot of chicken and noodle soup ( home made noodles of course) then when i am down , i have chicken soup for lunch , hot tea afterwards and a giant hot toddie at night .extra lemon

by Anonymousreply 137August 26, 2021 5:18 PM

I eat what the Sudanese cook offers because the Filipino cook doesn't have this skill.

by Anonymousreply 138August 26, 2021 5:36 PM

That soup, R131, was hands down the best thing Campbells ever sold (and in truth their only offering ever woorth consuming without shame) and I am pissed they discontinued it.

by Anonymousreply 139August 26, 2021 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!