Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn’t TLC release music between 1996 and 1999?

They had a massive album with CrazySexyCool with a few hit singles, and then didn’t release a new song or album for 3 years? Seems a bit ridiculous.

They missed out on so many opportunities because of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2021 11:52 PM

Three years isn't that long (though it was longer back then) They were trying to work their way out of their shitty record deal, among other issues.

Their follow up was huge. Fanmail sold 6 million. Half of CrazySexyCool, but still huge.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2021 11:40 PM

Weren't they fighting with their manager, Pebbles, at the time?

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2021 11:43 PM

Yes. They had a terrible deal. Plus Left Eye had burned down her abusive boyfriend's house. Drama. It's not really hard to see why they didn't release music. Plus, I assume they toured CSC for part of that three years.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2021 11:47 PM

The Learning Channel released music?

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2021 12:05 AM

Left eye burned down her boyfriend's house between the first and second albums.

I found Fan Mail to be something of a let down after CrazySexyCool.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2021 12:42 AM

They had to file for bankruptcy thanks to that cunt Pebbles and renegotiate their contract with LaFace Records during this time. It was worth the wait. Fanmail is their best album IMO with only two shitty songs.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2021 12:46 AM

"Left eye burned down her boyfriend's house between the first and second albums."

True. But they were still dealing with the legal ramifications. It took a while to work everything out in the courts. Plus, Wiki says that their bankruptcy post-CSC was partly due to Left Eye's payments arising from the arson.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2021 1:53 AM

I remember after the third album came out Left Eye was unhappy that she had very little to do on the songs that made the album that she issued a statement that she couldn't fully support Fanmail and later challenged T boz and Chilli for all 3 to make solo albums to determine who was the best in the group.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2021 11:55 AM

They were busy on the Crazy part of SexyCool.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2021 12:06 PM

I loved the last song they did in 2017 with Snoop Dogg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2021 12:09 PM

I never cared much for Left Eye's rapping anyway. So nasally and kept repeating the same shit.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2021 12:40 PM

Left Eye was cute but she really did just repeat herself.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2021 1:26 PM

CrazySexyCool is such a blast from the past. I was a sophomore in college. I still like some of the songs, though none of them were great singers. It's classic 90s R&B/hip-hop/pop crossover. Hip-pop??

I liked the big singles - especially Red Light Special, but I never liked Waterfalls, which is many people's favorite TLC song.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2021 3:39 PM

When I was a kid I thought they were saying “Dont go Jason Waterfalls”, so I assumed they were singing about a guy named Jason

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2021 3:42 PM

I never cared for Waterfalls, which caused many arguments.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2021 11:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!