Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Halle Berry - I Only Did Catwoman For The Money Cause I Got NO Scripts After Oscar Win

Halle Berry found it “surprising” that she wasn’t overloaded with work offers after winning an Oscar.

The actress made history as the first Black woman to take the Best Actress Academy Award in 2002 for her role in Monster’s Ball and she admitted the “fundamental change” she anticipated in her working life didn’t happen.

“It was surprising,” she told Entertainment Weekly. “Because I thought they were going to just back up the truck and drop them off at my house, right?

“When you have a historic win like that, you think, ‘Oh, this is going to fundamentally change.’ It did fundamentally change me, but it didn’t change my place in the business overnight.

“I still had to go back to work. I still had to try to fight to make a way out of no way.”

Halle admitted she’s sometimes had to take on a film role just because it pays the bills, as the dream roles she’s looking for don’t always come along.

“It’s like, OK, that’s a film I can’t say I’m totally in love with, but this isn’t a hobby,” she explained. “It’s how I take care of my children. But I try to keep that sense of wonder and stay curious. Because being a Black woman, I haven’t always had parts that I absolutely love.”

And Halle illustrated her point by mentioning Catwoman, the superhero story which was widely panned and earned her a Razzie award.

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below. Article content

“It’s like, OK, that’s a film I can’t say I’m totally in love with, but this isn’t a hobby,” she explained. “It’s how I take care of my children. But I try to keep that sense of wonder and stay curious. Because being a Black woman, I haven’t always had parts that I absolutely love.”

And Halle illustrated her point by mentioning Catwoman, the superhero story which was widely panned and earned her a Razzie award.

She said of the blockbuster: “For me, it was one of the biggest paydays of my whole life, which, there’s nothing wrong with that…. I don’t want to feel like ‘Oh, I can only do award-worthy stuff.’ What is an award-worthy performance?”

by Anonymousreply 219June 14, 2022 11:27 PM

Get over it, beyotch.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2021 1:22 AM

She got it for being fucked on the floor of the den.

Who hasn't done that?

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote] I still had to try to fight to make a way out of no way.

What?

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2021 1:28 AM

The lack of acting talent may have had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2021 1:29 AM

Disney is looking for new Black Widow.

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote] I still had to try to fight to make a way out of no way.

[quote] What?

She is saying she still has to fight for parts, even with an Oscar on her shelf

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2021 1:31 AM

She got no offers because she’s barely an actress. Everything since has been a flop

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2021 1:31 AM

If she can’t act and is barely an actress then how did she win Best ACTRESS at the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2021 1:34 AM

R8, you tell me, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2021 1:35 AM

Roger would have made a better Leticia Musgrove

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2021 1:35 AM

Did she beat out Sissy Spacek in Carrie for Best Actress?

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2021 1:37 AM

Yes, Rose. They only hand out Best Actress every 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2021 1:38 AM

[quote]If she can’t act and is barely an actress then how did she win Best ACTRESS at the Oscars?

She got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2021 1:42 AM

Then why is Sissy mad at her?

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2021 1:42 AM

I always love her Razzie acceptance speech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote]Then why is Sissy mad at her?

Irrationality.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2021 1:50 AM

I wonder what she did BAPS for.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2021 2:11 AM

Most actresses get parts they don't absolutely love. I'm sure she's had to fight for roles due to her race, but it's stupid to pretend all white actresses get exactly the roles they want.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2021 2:30 AM

Same thing happened to me! Why else would I have made "Turk 182" and "The Kovak Box?"

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2021 2:52 AM

I think the first thing Rita Moreno got after WSS was "The Electric Company".

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2021 3:09 AM

I like her until she ran a red light smashing into another car and then fled the scene. She waited until the following day to make a police report. The other driver claimed that Berry just left her behind in her smoking car.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2021 3:10 AM

She’s lucky Meryl turned down Monster’s Ball.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2021 3:12 AM

I think her follow up to her Oscar win was a James Bond movie… which [italic]was [/italic]confusing.

Maybe it was shot in the interim.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2021 3:13 AM

All she ever does is complain. She acts like she’s living in poverty.🙄 Start your own production company or write your own scripts, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2021 3:13 AM

R23

She was making Die Another Day when she won the Oscar. She was well into making Bond's worst movie before she found out about the Oscar Gold.

I flew off to start filming "Taps" the day after I won my statue. I barely had time to slip it to Diane Lane in the limo on the way to Burbank airport.

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2021 3:17 AM

Vanessa Williams and Angela Bassett or both offered the part of Leticia, but they turned it down.

I wonder why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2021 3:17 AM

R26

Vanessa's days of flashing tits and poon for coin are long out of her system. And Angela Bassett would smack your brain for even picturing her naked.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2021 3:18 AM

The producers denied that they ever offered the role to Angela Bassett and said her complaining about the film was just sour grapes over not being the first black woman to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2021 3:25 AM

"Start your own production company or write your own scripts, bitch."

Because that's so easy *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2021 3:28 AM

What a shocker Halle. You were paid extra to flash your tits in Swordfish. And even Oscar winners do films for strictly money. I thought she did a good job in MB. The film screamed ignore my pretty face and take me seriously as an actress in an Oscar bait role. She probably expected to be the next black Meryl Streep, but she’s not versatile enough an actress. Know your place in the Hollywood food chain. Anjelica Huston said it best after her win-the idea of not having to prove myself anymore was an illusion at best.

by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2021 3:33 AM

A great deal of (female) Oscar winners shared the same fate as Halle. The offers dried up almost overnight.

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2021 3:34 AM

Running over people doesn't help either.

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2021 3:35 AM

R30 I feel the same about Viola Davis, but no one ever lets me say it without a vicious retort.

She always plays angry, or fierce, or so angry/fierce she's holding back tears. That's it. That's her range. You never see her do comedy, or grounded mother roles, or artists or scientists. Her Shondaland show was basically six seasons of Angry Black Woman in A Dark Room. I know Viola has happiness inside her, and has the ability to play those lighter roles, but she never takes them or is never offered them. So either she has no range or she has no eye for projects that might expand her oeuvre.

You know who has range? Whoopi Goldberg. She's a comedian first, but she was captivating in dramatic roles like The Color Purple and Boys on the Side.

by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2021 3:37 AM

It's sort of unbelievable now that the Academy didn't take the opportunity to make Whoopi the first black winner with The Color Purple.

I guess #Oscarssowhite wasn't even on the radar then. I think she'd have been the fourth black person to win. (One in each acting category.)

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2021 3:41 AM

R34 The Color Purple didn't win a single fucking Oscar. Not ONE.

But Out of Africa? Fuck that noise.

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2021 3:42 AM

R31 not everyone. Kathy Bates is an example of an actress’s career who was totally transformed by her win. Even weak actresses like Reese Witherspoon have been smart about producing where the real money lies. Most winners continue working. You just have to swallow your pride and take the best offer available to you at the time. A good team representing you (manager, agent, publicist) helps a lot.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2021 3:45 AM

R34 there was definitely a CP backlash. I remember Spielberg not getting nominated was huge. Page was extremely overdue, and the indifference towards CP didn’t help Whoopis cause.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote] [R31] not everyone.

That's why I wrote "a great deal of". I like the exceptions you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2021 3:48 AM

R36 It can also cement an actor's transition from "frivolous" throwaway roles on TV or light films into serious acting chops.

Think of Allison Janney or Sandra Bullock, who for years had people saying they were plenty talented but under-used and under-seen by the film industry. Also, Laurie Metcalf, who despite her association with a blue-collar sitcom remains one of the most versatile actresses out there today.

by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2021 3:49 AM

Her winning an Oscar for THAT performance is one of the great Oscar travesties. Actually the entire movie "Monster's Ball" sucked. The only good things about it were Peter Boyle and Heath Ledger. If anybody should have won an Academy Award for that movie it should have been Heath Ledger.

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2021 3:50 AM

R37 Most of that backlash was because The Color Purple was such a gut-wrenching novel, and people knew the movie could never live up to the book. Also, Spielberg was a white nerdy guy best known for making summer sci-fi blockbusters and adventure flicks. What would he know about a somber tale of female suffering in the South? They expected it to bomb, or to be wallpaper-paste.

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2021 3:50 AM

R38 how many do you mean by great deal? I would take it to mean more than fifty percent. And the number isn’t that high for female winners work drying up.

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2021 3:53 AM

Whoopi was incredible in The Color Purple. People still talk about her performance today. Though Page was great, too.

Halle was fine in Monster's Ball. But Sissy Spacek was fucking fantastic in In the Bedroom and should have a second Oscar on her mantle.

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote] It really comes down to management representation and being able to play Hollywood's Flavor-Of-The-Month roles.

I don't think the empowered (black) female trope was this dominant in the age of CP and Halle Berry's win. Yes, I think women like Whoopi Goldberg and Halle Berry paved the way, but didn't hugely benefit from it in terms of a Hollywood movie career. Lifetime and Hallmark covered the female empowerment trope on TV for centuries while "Not Without My Daughter" was

[quote] how many do you mean by great deal?

Higher than "not everyone".

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2021 3:57 AM

R43 Agree with you about Sissy Spacek.

But I'd venture to say Sissy's original Oscar should've gone to Mary Tyler Moore for Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2021 3:58 AM

Sorry,

Lifetime and Hallmark covered the female empowerment trope on TV for centuries while "Not Without My Daughter" was rather the exception than the rule in movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2021 3:59 AM

R46 Fuck you! Sally Field earned those two Oscars fair and square!

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2021 4:00 AM

r47, we really loved her, didn't we?

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2021 4:01 AM

The Color Purple got condemned by the NAACP for its depiction of black men. I think the Academy thought they were doing the politically correct thing by ignoring it.

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2021 4:13 AM

[quote]Think of Allison Janney or Sandra Bullock, who for years had people saying they were plenty talented but under-used and under-seen by the film industry

Allison Janney hasn't made a movie since I don't think.

I don't think Bullock was ever underseen or used. She was a huge star for a long time. The Oscar was a way to think her for all the money she made people and for being a likeable person. Plus she had no strong competition. She addresses that in her speech when she starts out with did I earn this or just wear you down?

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2021 4:16 AM

R50 Sandy made a ton of movies, but most weren't considered serious roles. She was great in Speed, The Net, Miss Congeniality, pretty much everything she touched. But she wasn't a Serious Actress in the vein of Meryl Streep or Sally Field.

Allison Janney's best role was Drop Dead Gorgeous, followed closely by The West Wing. This bullshit Mom series is a waste of her energy.

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2021 4:24 AM

I don't think the Oscar for Bullock really got her on the list of serious actresses. It was Gravity a few years later that did it.

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2021 4:26 AM

So how the hell did Emma Stone and Brie Larson get theirs so young?

by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2021 4:27 AM

Uh, they’re not exactly young.

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2021 4:31 AM

It always comes down to the competition r53. I don't think those two had any strong competitors. (Isabelle Hupert was in a foreign film and one that not everybody liked or probably even watched.)

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2021 4:31 AM

[quote] Kathy Bates is an example of an actress’s career who was totally transformed by her win. Even weak actresses like Reese Witherspoon have been smart about producing where the real money lies.

Witherspoon seriously got back into producing after being offered A Million Ways To Die In The West and being told that several Oscar winning actresses were competing to be in it.

She is a rare success as an actor-producer. Most actors do it for vanity and few are actually good at it. Not everyone can be Michael Douglas or Robert Redford. Look at Natalie Portman. She’s produced a handful of terrible indie vehicles, and with Jane’s Got A Gun and Days Of Abandonment she is behind 2 massive disasters. She shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a production office.

by Anonymousreply 56August 12, 2021 4:33 AM

I can remember an LA news anchor Tawney Kittan asking Roger Ebert if a woman like that can have a career after Kathy Bates won.

Skinny bitch former Miss America. She's gone and Kathy;s sill here.

by Anonymousreply 57August 12, 2021 4:35 AM

oops make that ^^ Tanwy Little.

by Anonymousreply 58August 12, 2021 4:36 AM

BAPS was actually pretty funny. I rented it on the recommendation of somebody right here on DL. I can’t believe Roger Ebert hated that but like that glorified shoe commercial [italic]Space Jam[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2021 5:03 AM

R59 Don't forget Pootie Tang. Oscar's greatest snub!

by Anonymousreply 60August 12, 2021 5:04 AM

Spielberg turned The Color Purple into Song of The South. That some people enjoy it doesn’t mean it’s a good film. A lot of black people like the film version of The Wiz. Doesn’t make it a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 61August 12, 2021 10:00 AM

Anyone in Hollywood who thinks they can rest on their laurels is delusional. The idea that a truck load of great scripts was going to back up in her driveway because of an Oscar win is ludicrous. As others have noted, it’s usually just the opposite - but it’s brought on by a paralysis of the winner as well, not knowing what to do and/or how to follow up, etc. The answer, as always, is: just work.

by Anonymousreply 62August 12, 2021 10:03 AM

Lead Oscar was a temporary curse for a lot of ladies of that era. Most of them have risen again since then (Theron, Kidman, Witherspoon). She's doing better than Hilary Swank, though.

by Anonymousreply 63August 12, 2021 10:40 AM

Even Lawrence Olivier had tobdobsevondcraye movie times for the money.

by Anonymousreply 64August 12, 2021 11:13 AM

She has always been a lousy actress. A pleasant screen presence but very limited. Funnily enough I find she excels in comedy and it is a shame she didn't make more of those but she probably isn't offered many comedy roles.

For some one of limited ability I really don't know why she is bitching. She has done very well and made history being the first and to date only black best actress winner.

by Anonymousreply 65August 12, 2021 11:19 AM

She didn't deserve the Oscar and she is one of the most limited of "actors" out there. That's why no scripts showed up. I never cared for her.

by Anonymousreply 66August 12, 2021 11:26 AM

[quote]Anyone in Hollywood who thinks they can rest on their laurels is delusional.

Well look who we’re talking about. She is delusional and always plays the victim when things don’t go her way.

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2021 12:41 PM

[Quote] Allison Janney's best role was Drop Dead Gorgeous, followed closely by The West Wing.

Loved her as Loretta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2021 2:59 PM

R50, "Allison Janney hasn't made a movie since"?? Per IMDB she's had a half-dozen or so theatrical films since I, TONYA, with a few more listed as at some stage of production.

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2021 3:12 PM

R68 She had her classic "I got some!" after she discreetly fucked that Ramada bartender at 11am.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2021 7:24 PM

Sorry r69. I see she's done some things Ma and Bombshell (though I don't remember her in that film, must have been a small role.) But there has been no big follow up to I, Tonya yet. You know Oscar winner Allison Janney in:

I guess the TV show and her age and type limit options.

I saw her recently interviewed and she said she has to learn to say "no." She thinks she has been working too much apparently.

by Anonymousreply 71August 13, 2021 4:07 AM

Janney ain't done shit.

by Anonymousreply 72August 13, 2021 4:09 AM

Halle Berry and Jeffery Dean Morgan in EXTANT!!!

by Anonymousreply 73August 13, 2021 8:32 AM

I would have shown tits, ass, and SNOT if it would get me that Oscar so easily.

by Anonymousreply 74August 13, 2021 8:39 AM

The only reason Halle got the Oscar is because Hollywood wanted it to be the Year of the Black Actor. Sidney Poitier was getting an Honorary Oscar, Denzel Washington was the front runner for Training Day (another horrible performance that somehow won an Oscar) and the optics were- let's make history by giving the lead acting Oscars to two black people in the year we honor Sidney Poitier for being the first black actor to win a lead Oscar.

The only way Sissy was getting the award that year would have been if she'd done In the Bedroom wearing burnt cork.

by Anonymousreply 75August 13, 2021 8:44 AM

I mean, why does anybody get an Oscar? It’s always about a narrative.

by Anonymousreply 76August 13, 2021 2:16 PM

r76 is correct; it's rare that the narrative surrounding the Oscars coincides with the winner actually having given the best performance -- usually, the narrative (an overdue veteran, the baity or topical role, etc.) results in a lesser performance winning over a greater one. Even rarer is when Academy voters reject the narrative and recognize the best performance anyway (Hopkins over Boseman, for example).

by Anonymousreply 77August 13, 2021 2:41 PM

Film and TV acting isn't real art. You are there to get rich and famous. The popcorn movies are the ones that make money. It's rare for arthouse movies to break through and make real money, when you look at the number produced compared to those that a.) get a release and b.) make above a few million.

Be lucky someone pays your ass millions of dollars to do shit movies. Anyone that wins a big award always capitalizes next on the "I need a house in Malibu" type movie. That is for pretty much every actor, male, female (they) and color.

I wonder if she played the race card on the hit and run too. "It's so hard for a black woman to stay at the scene of an accident until help has arrived!"

by Anonymousreply 78August 13, 2021 3:12 PM

R74 was it any good? Did they have chemistry?

by Anonymousreply 79August 13, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote]the winner actually having given the best performance -- usually, the narrative (an overdue veteran

I'll cut you r77.

by Anonymousreply 80August 13, 2021 10:06 PM

The fact that Halle won an oscar is the bizarre part. I enjoyed watching Halle in some movies. But she should not have tried to be a serious actress. She is beautiful and a mediocre actress. She should have tried for the black rom-coms actress. Or stuck with action adventure superhero movies like X-MEN. Catwoman would not have been a bad vehicle but it was a bad script. There was one stalled in production with Michelle Pfiffer for a decade because it was really bad. I had a copy of it. Just didn't know how to make it work.

by Anonymousreply 81August 13, 2021 10:18 PM

Had Halle lost Viola would have probably been the first for The Help. See in all situations Viola suffers the most.

by Anonymousreply 82August 13, 2021 10:20 PM

So a film that is both a.critical and commercial failure is a blockbuster now?

by Anonymousreply 83August 13, 2021 10:25 PM

Naomi Watts should have received that nomination and win.

by Anonymousreply 84August 13, 2021 10:26 PM

R84 If that would have been for Mulholland Drive, then YES!

by Anonymousreply 85August 13, 2021 11:13 PM

R81 not that bizarre. She was on a roll around that time frame, winning an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the Dorothy Dandridge film the year before her Oscar. Halle can act, but she will never be Meryl and she knows it. I do like her dramatic work better than her comedy. She’s still the only woman of color to win lead actress in over 90 years, something Saint Viola hasn’t been able to crack. So that’s to her credit.

by Anonymousreply 86August 14, 2021 12:03 AM

The sex scenes she did with Billy Bob Thornton are among the most repulsive in film history. The two of them together are just so gross. There's that ghastly one where she's grieving for her recently deceased son (she does this by getting drunk with an ugly redneck) and ends up flinging herself in Billy Bob Thornton's face groaning over and over "Make me feeeel ghhhuuuud!" If that wasn't bad enough there's another one where the gross redneck is eating her out. Mercifully he's out of camera range while he's doing it but the viewer gets to see Berry doing her best ecstasy/orgasm faces. Puke!

by Anonymousreply 87August 14, 2021 12:16 AM

R45 One note Mary was terrible. Moore was only ever good at playing one character and that was on TV.

by Anonymousreply 88August 14, 2021 1:58 PM

R87, You really hate this film, don't you? Relax, it's only a movie.

Personally, I thought the overall tone of MB was grim (as was most likely the intent), with its rather depressing characters, backdrop and plot. But, despite that, I still thought it was a quality, character based film. Film making can't all be formulaic development, closure and happy endings for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 89August 14, 2021 2:51 PM

Why does she have to clarify she did CATWOMAN for the paycheck?

Surely no one thought going into it it was her HAMLET.

by Anonymousreply 90August 14, 2021 4:16 PM

Monster's Ball is possibly the bleakest film I've ever seen. (I've never watched Schindler's List all the way through.)

by Anonymousreply 91August 14, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote] Start your own production company or write your own scripts, bitch.

This is what I say to every Hollywood complainer. Several years ago, it was Faye Dunaway complaining that there were no good roles for older women (while Judi Dench and Maggie Smith were grabbing those roles with both hands). Why should you expect someone else to do the work for you? Put up some of your own money, and hire a writer. You may have to do a low budget indie type movie, but at least you’re working towards something. Or go the easy route and buy a successful property from the UK. Look at all the tv shows that were successful from that model: All in the Family, Three’s Company, Sanford & Son. How many UK detective shows feature an old lady? Patricia Routledge, Brenda Blethyn, Angela Lansbury all got work by going that route.

God helps those who help themselves.

by Anonymousreply 92August 14, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote]R92 Several years ago, it was Faye Dunaway complaining that there were no good roles for older women (while Judi Dench and Maggie Smith were grabbing those roles with both hands). Why should you expect someone else to do the work for you? Put up some of your own money, and hire a writer.

I [italic]did,[/italic] you bitch. It doesn’t mean everyone has a talent for it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2021 4:47 PM

I think that Hollywood mistakes "beautiful" for "talented" when it comes to women's roles. Halle was the go-to female sex symbol for many people in the late 90s (until Beyonce came along). The Monster's Ball producers could have cast an unknown actress, someone from the stage or a recent graduate in the leading lady role, but they wanted a big name who could bring people--and their money--to the box office. Without Halle, it's kind of an indie film, even after Billy Bob's Oscar Turn in Slingblade. (Seems like Billy Bob had the same problem as Halle: one huge movie followed by a lull.)

There's a big difference between Halle and Viola Davis. Halle started off in beauty pageants before going into acting. Viola majored in theater in college and then studied another four years at the Julliard school. Viola has had to work much harder for her breaks. But after winning acclaim, even Viola sometimes takes an easy role in a blockbuster for the $$$$; I was surprised to see her in Suicide Squad last week.

by Anonymousreply 94August 14, 2021 5:12 PM

[Quote] Surely no one thought going into it it was her HAMLET.

I sure as hell didn't!

by Anonymousreply 95August 15, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote]it’s how I take care of my children

If you want to buy your children Ferraris every year.

Children can be taken care of working at Costco or being a nurse. Not that Halle has to do that, but her marriage to that baseball player and French guy alone would have guaranteed their upbringing and college. So, yes bitch, it IS a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 96August 15, 2021 7:12 AM

Or her salary for just one of her movies could easily take care of her kids. Not just in a Hollywood mansion or the manner she’s accustomed to.

by Anonymousreply 97August 15, 2021 7:14 AM

Just not…

by Anonymousreply 98August 15, 2021 7:14 AM

Halle Berry is attractive if you are in to boyish types.

by Anonymousreply 99August 15, 2021 10:18 AM

She was a fox in The Flintstones. She supposedly replaced Sharon Stone (and yes, the character was also named Sharon Stone), and along with Kyle M. and Harvey Korman as the bird, was the only redeeming part of that stinker.

by Anonymousreply 100August 17, 2021 1:15 AM

Who/what is "Kyle M"?

by Anonymousreply 101August 17, 2021 1:18 AM

Are Angela and Courtney a lavender marriage?

by Anonymousreply 102August 17, 2021 1:20 AM

R101 Kyle MacLachlan. He played the villain, and was the only one who didn't act like he hated himself for cashing that paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 103August 17, 2021 2:07 AM

Halle is SUCH a victim.

by Anonymousreply 104August 17, 2021 2:37 AM

Sharon Stone was not supposed to be in The Flinstones. The character was named Sharon Stone, though.

by Anonymousreply 105August 17, 2021 4:27 AM

Catwoman is ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES EVER MADE EXCLUDING B.A.P.S.

I recall SS was perfectly dressed as if she were Joan Crawford in her prime. The male lead Benjamin Bratt looked equally as gorgeous as his female costars.

by Anonymousreply 106August 17, 2021 4:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 17, 2021 5:42 AM

Sharon Stone has a sense of fun onscreen. Halle has no place in camp entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 108August 17, 2021 5:55 AM

R107 the filter is cracking me up.

by Anonymousreply 109August 17, 2021 10:20 AM

Sharon was the only good thing about Catwoman.

The character in The Flintstones was originally supposed to be named Rosetta Stone, but studio bigwigs assumed most of the audience wouldn't get the joke, so it was changed to Sharon Stone.

by Anonymousreply 110August 17, 2021 5:15 PM

R110 I mean...the bigwigs were probably right.

by Anonymousreply 111August 17, 2021 6:06 PM

Why wouldn’t they know Rosetta? She’s been acting longer than Sharon Stone.

by Anonymousreply 112August 17, 2021 6:22 PM

Don’t you have to know something about the financial side of the film industry in order to produce?

by Anonymousreply 113August 17, 2021 6:38 PM

I don’t know about much regarding this chick, but I know this…

NEVER in my life have I seen a person with zero makeup and more perfect skin than hers. Stood inches away from her and she was and still is GORGEOUS.

by Anonymousreply 114August 17, 2021 6:47 PM

I always liked her. Never understood why some people were so harsh toward her online.

I actually found her performance in MB very touching and nuanced. She did a lot of acting with her eyes and expressions in that film, something that I was not used to seeing from her.

I loved the final scene. Her face says so much.

I 100% was fine with her win. There have been far more offensive wins than hers, yet those are never bitched about nearly as much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 17, 2021 6:49 PM

R114 my mother and stepdad saw her in NYC back in the mid 90s and said she was absolutely gorgeous in person. And that’s a lot coming from my stepdad, who is brutally honest and judgmental

by Anonymousreply 116August 17, 2021 6:51 PM

Totally agree, r115. That final scene was masterful.

by Anonymousreply 117August 17, 2021 6:53 PM

The Halle Berry and BIlly Bob Thornton characters in MB were both horrid people. I didn't find their "love story" affecting in any way. Two assholes who deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 118August 18, 2021 4:13 AM

I didn’t find her to be an asshole

by Anonymousreply 119August 18, 2021 11:21 AM

I watched X Men 3 yesterday and Halle Berry completely destroyed that movie. One of the worst movies ever made, and worst acting in any movie. The studio tried to make her happy by giving her lots of time in the movie and it bombed. She's truly one of the worst "actors" ever. I hate Halle like I hated the aids.

by Anonymousreply 120August 18, 2021 1:35 PM

R120 there was a million things wrong with that movie, and none of them were the fault of Halle Berry. Seriously.

She didn’t write the script and screenplay and didn’t direct it.

by Anonymousreply 121August 18, 2021 1:37 PM

Also, it didn’t bomb financially. It made the most money of that trilogy. At least do your research before running your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 122August 18, 2021 1:38 PM

X-Men - $296 million

X2 - $407 million

X3 - $460 million

So no, it wasn’t a bomb. It made the most.

A critical bomb? Sure. But even that they didn’t do as bad as at least 3 other XMen movies.

by Anonymousreply 123August 18, 2021 1:42 PM

Heaven forbid she get off her ass and look for work.

by Anonymousreply 124August 18, 2021 1:46 PM

R121 Halle Berry apologist. You're ten times worse than dying of the aids. She single handedly ruined that movie.

by Anonymousreply 125August 18, 2021 1:52 PM

Who gives a flying fuck how much money it made for the horrible studios? No one but the biggest cunt would ever care about that shit.

by Anonymousreply 126August 18, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]I watched X Men 3 yesterday and Halle Berry completely destroyed that movie. One of the worst movies ever made, and worst acting in any movie. The studio tried to make her happy by giving her lots of time in the movie and it bombed. She's truly one of the worst "actors" ever. I hate Halle like I hated the aids.

If it's one of the worst movies ever made with the worst acting, how did one Halle Berry completely destroy the movie?

You really need to learn how to evaluate things better before you write something.

"I hate Halle like I hated the aids."

Do better. Be better. You're not even funny.

by Anonymousreply 127August 18, 2021 1:56 PM

R127 Kill yourself, cunt. Everybody here hates you like they hated the aids.

by Anonymousreply 128August 18, 2021 1:57 PM

Halle Berry is the least of the X-Men films problems. Apart from the first film in the series which was fresh and something of a novelty the series became tedious and indulgent from the second film onwards. I haven't even bothered with the recent ones or spin offs.

As for Catwoman, well it's a watchable, forgettable popcorn film that really doesn't deserve the scorn it gets. Tells its story quickly too which is usually a plus with these types of films given the material in them has little depth beyond surface entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 129August 18, 2021 2:13 PM

R129 X men 1 and 2 were written and directed by a known pedophile. Anyone who likes or supports anything by that pedophile is also a pedophile. Huge Hollywood pedophile Singer has been canceled and he should never be allowed to return.

by Anonymousreply 130August 18, 2021 2:19 PM

Angela Bassett would have been a better Storm, but she was a decade too old.

by Anonymousreply 131August 18, 2021 2:25 PM

Halle Berry was a Storm in a D cup.

by Anonymousreply 132August 18, 2021 2:30 PM

I didn’t mind Halle Berry at all in the films. People keep blaming her instead of the writers, who were the biggest issue with those films.

I’ve seen people trash her nonstop for that one line about Toad being electrocuted in the first film when THAT WAS NOT HER FAULT. It was a horrendous line that would have sounded stupid from any actresses mouth.

She was not the problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 18, 2021 3:08 PM

^^ um, why didn’t she use her power before?

(Can’t believe I’m asking this.)

by Anonymousreply 134August 18, 2021 3:14 PM

R134 because the writers suck

by Anonymousreply 135August 18, 2021 3:16 PM

Halle was always so proud of being "severely beaten" by exes and losing her hearing from Wesley Snipes. Says all you need to know about this stupid, talentless cunt. Halle is the new Jabba. She probably gets off on being beaten by men. Pretty sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 18, 2021 3:18 PM

Whenever these people talk about “paying the bills”, remember they are talking about maintaining their mansion / expensive brownstone / villa / etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 18, 2021 3:19 PM

She was 100% justified with her feelings of frustration over being sidelined in X2 for the newer characters. The writers didn’t know what to do with Storm in that movie, and she was right to be annoyed with how little they gave her to do while she was Storm, one of the biggest characters in the XMen, and a leader.

She was also promised an Origins film that they canceled on her, which, again, gives her right to be upset. After that they gave her more to do in X3.

by Anonymousreply 138August 18, 2021 3:31 PM

Angela Bassett was offered the role when they were planning it in the mid-late 90s. She declined.

Superhero movies were a joke back then. Actors DIDNT wanna touch them. How times have changed.

Demi Moore was offered Rogue with the original screenplay and she declined. They ended up changing her to a teen anyway.

by Anonymousreply 139August 18, 2021 3:33 PM

Anna Paquin is an even worse "actor" than Halle Berry. She is the poster girl for NON-ACTOR. She also ruined the pedophile written and directed X 1 and 2. Her "acting" was non-existent in part 3. Ellen Page had a shit role in X3 but at least she did do some acting. I've always like Ellen Page. Then when she became Elliot, she showed some true courage. We should all be so lucky to get fucked by his little nub.

by Anonymousreply 140August 18, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote]Angela Bassett would have been a better Storm, but she was a decade too old.

She would have been perfect! By that point, probably too old for producers.

But, like it was also mentioned, she was an Oscar-nominated actress, and superhero movies, for the most part, weren't considered fare for "serious" actors--especially for females, let alone black females, who couldn't afford that kind of risk. The Batman franchise was on the decline. Men in Black was popular, but Tommy Lee Jones was a character actor, and not a leading man. Jack Nicholson was untouchable when he did Batman, and could pretty much do whatever he wanted. Frances McDormand did Darkman after her Oscar nomination, but that was a supporting role where she didn't carry the weight of the movie.

Bassett had to be especially careful, because she was pretty much the only black leading lady in the mid-to-late 1990s, and I imagine she felt some pressure and "representing". Whoopi was having problems finding parts outside of schlock comedies atp. Whitney Houston had some success, but wasn't as prolific an actor as she was as a singer, obviously. Any misstep Bassett made could set her back much quicker than a lot of other actors. And she had already taken several chances. Her first leading role was Strange Days. It was Kathryn Bigelow's followup to the hit Point Break, but ended up being too odd for audiences. Wes Craven was a trusted genre director who was dependable commercially at that time, but a vampire horror comedy opposite Eddie Murphy was, again, probably too out there. Craven made seven films in the 1990s and it was his only flop. Bassett bounced back after signing onto an adaptation of Terry McMillan's Waiting to Exhale. Yet, her next lead role wouldn't come out until three years later in another McMillan adaptation, How Stella Got Her Groove Back (a milf film that predated most milf films), which didn't do quite the same numbers, but did well none-the-less. Yet, she wasn't a big enough box-office magnet, and any black actress who specialised in drama in the 1990s would be facing an uphill battle.

She could have used X-Men, obviously. And she would have knocked it out of the part. But it wasn't meant to be.

It's probably for the best. Who would want to be associated with Bryan Singer. She did her own thing and now she's part of the Black Panther franchise, which is better IMO.

This is a year off what Bassett would have looked like when X-Men were auditioning:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 19, 2021 1:26 AM

None of you little homos knows what the hell you're talking about, and I'm about to show you all the back of my hairbrush!

by Anonymousreply 142August 19, 2021 1:30 AM

"I didn’t find her to be an asshole."

Did you see the way she treated her son? The poor kid's only pleasure in life was eating so he's overweight. She finds candy bars he's hidden and screams at him, calling him a "piggy" and verbally abusing him. She was a right cunt.

by Anonymousreply 143August 19, 2021 1:32 AM

Bassett didn't look too old. It's only relatively recently that she's been looking a little Cat Lady-ish.

by Anonymousreply 144August 19, 2021 1:33 AM

I love Alfre Woodard, but she unfortunately didn't make it to leading lady status in the 1990s. Her highest profile role was Passion Fish during that era, where she was robbed of an Oscar nomination.

It just goes to show how tough it was for black actresses during that time. And even actresses in general. The 1990s was, by and large, a prime time for male actors, a large proportion of them white. Denzel Washington was still establishing himself as a leading man who had drawing power across the board in a variety of genres.

by Anonymousreply 145August 19, 2021 1:36 AM

R145 She was great in Star Trek: First Contact. Look up the scene where her character compares Captain Picard to Captain Ahab, and he launches into a meaty monologue.

by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2021 1:38 AM

She did a masterful job playing that character. And it worked that way for a long time. If you were an Oscar winner, the scripts rolled in. What a lot of women discovered is that they had to form their own production company and buy book rights or scripts to get the kind of work they wanted to do. I don't doubt race had something to do with it in Halle's case. And maybe she had a shitty agent.

by Anonymousreply 147August 19, 2021 1:45 AM

R133, of course she didn't write that awful line. But great performers often have ways of spinning a line to create the illusion of something more. (Maggie Smith's comic skill is a supreme example of this, but even a B-grade actress like Joan Collins did it again and again with great success on DYNASTY.)

Neither there nor anywhere else in the movie, however, did Halle Berry give the slightest indication that she was interested in delivering, or even able to deliver, the larger-than-life performance required -- the one which, as so many have said, Angela Bassett would certainly have given. No wonder they didn't build the role up in subsequent scripts -- nothing about her suggested that was something she could carry off.

by Anonymousreply 148August 19, 2021 1:51 AM

[quote]I don't doubt race had something to do with it in Halle's case.

I agree. And you were spot-on about production companies. If you look at the winners from 2001 - 2005, Theron, Kidman, and Witherspoon all crested after their respective Oscar wins and "struggled" to repeat their former glory. All of their careers turned around pretty much after they started their own production company. Theron made a "comeback" with critics (Young Adult) and audiences (Snow White) once she started gaining more experience as a producer. Kidman started redirecting her career in the early 2010s as she got her feet wet producing and started to up her game when she parlayed her success with Lion into producing and starring in Big Little Lies, which led to a reexamining of her career. Witherspoon bumped up her producing game with Wild and Gone Girl and her career has improved dramatically ever since.

Halle Berry has only recently gotten more aggressive behind-the-camera with producing and directing. She has some interesting projects she has wrapped recently.

Hilary Swank has tried producing with less success. But, I don't think winning two Oscars did her any favours, especially when both statues were stunt-casting roles. She doesn't seem to the range these others have.

by Anonymousreply 149August 19, 2021 1:56 AM

Would Halle be successful at all if it weren't for her racially ambiguous looks? Didn't she have a big Spielberg produced sci fi series for a minute? She's not really rated as an actress. I don't think that can be blamed on her black parentage.

by Anonymousreply 150August 19, 2021 2:04 AM

She’s a model who got lucky. But I like her. And some of you are acting like the XMen was Shakespeare. “Put a spin on the line!” It’s a fucking comic book movie. Get a fucking grip.

by Anonymousreply 151August 19, 2021 2:09 AM

She's not racially ambiguous though. She looks like a light-skinned Black woman and she started out in predominately Black movies before she crossed. She got a nose job and wears wigs which may confuse some people I guess. The fact she played a white-passing woman in Queen (and Raven played her younger version) was kind of laughable.

by Anonymousreply 152August 19, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote]And some of you are acting like the XMen was Shakespeare

Well, X-men did have Patrick Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2021 2:15 AM

I would say Michael Michelle, Jennifer Beals, Mariah Carey, Paula Patton, post-surgery Meghan Markle, the late Lena Horne and Fredi Washington are better examples of racially ambiguous. Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams both just look like light-skinned Black women. Halle was the top Hollywood choice for blockbuster roles but I don't think she was ever taken seriously as a heavyweight actress. Angela Basset, Alfre Woodard, Viola Davis, Kimberly Elise, Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad, CCE Pounder, Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah and Octavia Spencer were and are taken seriously as actresses unlike Halle.

by Anonymousreply 154August 19, 2021 2:21 AM

[Quote] And some of you are acting like the XMen was Shakespeare. “Put a spin on the line!” It’s a fucking comic book movie. Get a fucking grip.

Those fantasy movies really separate the wheat from the chaff, though. Compare even Ewan McGregor to some of those old Brit actors who were trained in repertory theatre. The latter generally acquit themselves well.

by Anonymousreply 155August 19, 2021 2:24 AM

Berry's lane was underline when she ws paid a million for each tit in that caper movie with Hugh Jackman (or was it Travolta?). Glenda Jackson never got paid per tit.

by Anonymousreply 156August 19, 2021 2:26 AM

*underlined

by Anonymousreply 157August 19, 2021 2:26 AM

Halle did perfectly fine.

The only thing her nose job did was straighten the rounded tip. Nothing else. She didn’t have a wide nose like the racist on here with more than one account has claimed many times.

by Anonymousreply 158August 19, 2021 2:27 AM

Berry started in mostly black films because that’s all most black people were offered. Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 159August 19, 2021 2:28 AM

I'd also throw in Kate Winslet. She had a couple of "lulls" after her Oscar and then Emmy win (with a few minor successes in between), but it wasn't until recently with Mare of Easttown that she has had such a strong, positive response (which was her introductory jump into [exec] producing).

Natalie Portman has been doing alright, but she also keeps as busy behind the camera as she does in front of it.

Jennifer Lawrence has just started producing. Once she left Katniss and David O. Russell behind, she hasn't had much of the same success. It'll be interesting to see what happens with her. Emma Stone has also started producing, which is smart, because she's still riding very high as an actress. Even Cate Blanchett and Julianne Moore are producing. Francis McDormand won Oscars for producing and starring in the same film. First female to do that.

Brie Larson is producing YouTube videos. Bless.

by Anonymousreply 160August 19, 2021 2:31 AM

R21 Warren Beatty picked her up from the scene of the accident. They were very good friends......

by Anonymousreply 161August 19, 2021 2:32 AM

Halle's nose job definitely helped her further avail of Eurocentric beauty standards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 19, 2021 2:35 AM

She was his costar in Bulworth two years before.

by Anonymousreply 163August 19, 2021 2:35 AM

Brie should do another run in "Hello, Dolly!"

by Anonymousreply 164August 19, 2021 2:36 AM

Brie won an Emmy last year for her work.

R162 all it did was take away some of the roundness. Thats it. The bridge is the same. That’s probably why it never affected her face much like it does most others.

by Anonymousreply 165August 19, 2021 2:40 AM

Thanks for the straw man, R151 -- no one is calling X-MEN Shakespeare. My point was and is that really skilled performers very often know how to spin gold, or at least silver, from dross.

What about her performance in X-MEN did you like? Textbook phoning it in, to my mind.

by Anonymousreply 166August 19, 2021 3:29 AM

[Quote] I’ve seen people trash her nonstop for that one line about Toad being electrocuted in the first film when THAT WAS NOT HER FAULT. It was a horrendous line that would have sounded stupid from any actresses mouth.

Joss Whedon wrote that line 😆

[Quote] Demi Moore was offered Rogue with the original screenplay and she declined. They ended up changing her to a teen anyway.

I can't picture Demi as Rogue at all.

by Anonymousreply 167August 19, 2021 8:12 AM

Halle Berry and Denzel Washington made history that night. Yet they failed to capitalize on their wins by starring in a movie together. I will never understand why they didn’t do that.

by Anonymousreply 168August 19, 2021 12:48 PM

R163 They were having an affair. Heard that Beatty was fucking around on Annette Bening(like he always was) from someone who knew him. He really charmed Berry in a way she had never been before.

by Anonymousreply 169September 6, 2021 5:19 PM

Funny how Bening played that uneducated but streetsmart "other woman" (or was Meryl "the other woman") in Postcards. I can understand putting up with cheating if you no longer have a sexual relationship. Not otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 170September 6, 2021 7:08 PM

Warren was fucking around when he was living with women (like Leslie Caron and Julie Christie)before his marriage. Bening looks so schoolmarmish now. Most guys would have fucked Halle Berry if they could. Having a relationship with her is an altogether different story though. Berry has picked some shitty men in her time.

by Anonymousreply 171September 6, 2021 8:41 PM

But what if Berry is herself shitty?

by Anonymousreply 172September 6, 2021 9:06 PM

As an actor, "offers" are few and far between. Hollywood projects exist in an ether. The big upfront, pay or play offers tend to be for absolute garbage movies (zero quality, all about foreign market sales). An Oscar win leads to a lot of meetings and a lot of potential projects, but if there aren't movies ready to go, the heat evaporates quickly. Even just nominations help character actors work constantly after....Plus all the commercial stuff the actor is circling tends to go away because they're not just looking for the next gig anymore--they are attempting to be a movie star who sells tickets in respectable movies. That's a high bar.

Catwoman wasn't a garbage project. It was a potential franchise, major studio project, with a huge budget and a cutting edge director who had delivered a cool French movie. It just ended up sucking. Charlize Theron also did an action movie right after her Oscar and Aeon Flux was a disaster as well.

by Anonymousreply 173September 6, 2021 9:23 PM

She’s completely full of shit and a psychopath. She was all about doing a sequel to the film until it bombed.

by Anonymousreply 174September 6, 2021 9:28 PM

Hit and run Berry who uses and abuses every person she gets involved with. Good riddance. Wack job.

by Anonymousreply 175September 6, 2021 9:29 PM

Huge budget? Some of the CGI was quite shit, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 176September 6, 2021 9:30 PM

R8 Because she talked continually about how her win would be sooooo significant, important and historic. Her acceptance speech is unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 177September 6, 2021 10:18 PM

And what?

by Anonymousreply 178September 6, 2021 10:25 PM

Nobody cares about you anymore either, dried up apple-witch bitch!

by Anonymousreply 179September 6, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]I’ve seen people trash her nonstop for that one line about Toad being electrocuted in the first film when THAT WAS NOT HER FAULT. It was a horrendous line that would have sounded stupid from any actresses mouth.

As much as I dislike Joss Whedon, I think once he explained that she recited the line wrong it made sense.

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lighting? The same thing that happens to everything else!"

Was supposed to be a joke/throwaway line. Picture it coming out of SMG/Buffy's mouth and it makes sense. According to him, she recited it, "Like King Lear!"

Even that wasn't her fault. I'm sure Bryan directed her to say it like that. Her character was VERY serious throughout the movie. The joke lines went to Wolverine/Cyclops. I'm sure if Joss' entire script was used her character would have been less serious but these things happen when you have multiple writers working on a script. His, "You're a dick line" landed perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 180September 6, 2021 10:42 PM

R177 She accepted her award with a great sense of humor.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 7, 2021 1:00 AM

R178 Sally aside Halle Berry and Gwyneth Paltrow's acceptance speeches are the most cringe worthy

by Anonymousreply 182September 7, 2021 2:02 AM

[Quote] Most guys would have fucked Halle Berry if they could.

I wonder if JDM did?

[Quote] Charlize Theron also did an action movie right after her Oscar and Aeon Flux was a disaster as well.

Because of studio interference.

by Anonymousreply 183September 7, 2021 9:53 AM

Nicole Kidman should’ve won that year for Moulin Rouge!

by Anonymousreply 184November 26, 2021 5:21 AM

I loved Halle in Introducing Dorothy Dandridge

by Anonymousreply 185November 26, 2021 5:22 AM

I remember a clip of sandy Dennis on some TV game show being asked about her career since winning the Oscar. She admitted that winning the Oscar just made her seem more expensive to producers who by-passed her for parts. She seemed somewhat sad and I think going on tbs game show was a way to remind movie people that she was still available and was willing to take less pay for good parts.

by Anonymousreply 186November 26, 2021 5:33 AM

Has anyone watched Bruised yet?

by Anonymousreply 187November 26, 2021 9:11 AM

She's beautiful. But is a bland actress. She can't carry a film at all by herself. She's better in ensemble films. Her deadpan manner could work with comedy. She was pretty good in Boomerang and The Flintstones and even BAPS had that laughable 90s cheese factor.

I wish her the best. I liked her in the recent John Wick. I love seeing women of color in action flicks. She, Zoe Saldana and Zendaya found a niche in that.

by Anonymousreply 188November 26, 2021 2:41 PM

Halle Berry is Caucasian. She's a fraud pretending to be African black.

by Anonymousreply 189November 26, 2021 2:43 PM

What’s going on with these beautiful actresses like Halle, Angelina and to a lesser extent, JLaw, being so fucking nuts? I’d add Gwyneth, but I don’t think that she is beautiful at all. Still a raging cunt though.

by Anonymousreply 190November 26, 2021 3:17 PM

Halle and Angie had abusive childhoods. More than likely abused sexually. I'd also add the 80s beauty Vanity who was also mentally ill due to physical and sexual abuse.

by Anonymousreply 191November 26, 2021 3:22 PM

Gwyneth is a snake oil saleswoman. She shills her overpriced "health" products to the uneducated with her Goop cult. She's probably not crazy more just sociopathic. Halle and Angie keep their insanity to their personal lives.

by Anonymousreply 192November 26, 2021 3:25 PM

Halle dated Danny Wood from New Kids on the Block sometime in the late 80s. They did make a cute couple and Danny is said to be a very nice guy. I think she wanted to date up for her career. Getting with that rich older dude that paid for her plastic surgery and later hooking up with the then-big Wesley Snipes and Chris Williams. Both ended tragically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193November 26, 2021 3:31 PM

R190 lots of actors have mental health issues. And the irony is they can afford to get help.

by Anonymousreply 194November 26, 2021 3:37 PM

R21

[quote] I like her until she ran a red light smashing into another car and then fled the scene.

Oh Dear.

Goddamnit learn how to construct grammatically correct sentences.

Your random thoughts don’t mean shit otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 195November 26, 2021 3:39 PM

No. She was wrong for drunk driving, crashing into another person's car, injuring them and then fleeing the scene of the crime. I hate that she played the victim in regards to that. I don't think anyone died. Thank goodness.

This clip she went ballistic at Howie Mandel mocking the situation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196November 26, 2021 3:45 PM

R196, yup, I've posted that clip on here before. She really played the victim and said it was "so traumatizing for her". Not one word about the actual VICTIM of the crash or how it was Halle';s fault.

by Anonymousreply 197November 26, 2021 3:49 PM

R84 Yes, it was a no brainer.

by Anonymousreply 198November 26, 2021 3:57 PM

R191 is a fucking moron. Physical and sexual abuse does not automatically make one have mental illness. Mental illness leads to mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 199November 26, 2021 6:08 PM

R196 That was funny. Almost as funny as when Gay Aiken put his hand on Kelly Ripa's mouth and she was like: don't you never put your hands on my mouth - I don't know where it's been. Making a homophobic joke about fisting in the process. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 200November 26, 2021 6:13 PM

This is a part of the reason that the AA lost its luster. If it doesn’t even matter to the industry desperate to make it an event, then why should the rest of America care? You win best actress or actor and don’t get good roles. The industry is damn weird.

Good on Berry for being honest. Didn’t Hillary Swank say the same thing!

by Anonymousreply 201November 26, 2021 7:00 PM

Hilary Swank has the best story of all time, regardless of whatever happened with her career. She got fired from 90210, which freed her up for Boys Don't Cry, winning an Academy Award for it.

by Anonymousreply 202November 27, 2021 2:07 AM

Berry was exquisite in Monster’s Ball. It took a European to direct it correctly. If Black women, beautiful or not, had chances at roles with such depth there would be many winners. And beyond the crass and tacky Black actors like Jada and Will who say they deserve Oscars for schlock, there’s always a number of Black actors each year who are excellent when held up to any standard. A few months ago I saw Dominique Fishback in her debut “Night Comes On” and it was an absolutely gorgeous performance and award worthy, it just wasn’t seen. Also Alfre Woodard in ‘Clemency’. Those are class acts and they performances are out there it’s just the films are small.

by Anonymousreply 203November 27, 2021 2:13 AM

Well, duh.

by Anonymousreply 204November 27, 2021 2:14 AM

On the topic of black actresses. Whatever happened to Paula Patton, did she piss somebody off? She was getting a push a few years ago and now she seems to have vanished.

by Anonymousreply 205November 27, 2021 5:58 AM

as one can tell from her career, she's not a big reader. if she was, she would have found better projects since her Oscar win 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 206November 27, 2021 6:57 AM

I imagine she just thought looking sexy in a cat woman outfit was enough. Surely she could have got a more interesting and credible project off the ground following her Oscar. I think she was just lazy and now is rewriting history saying she didn’t get any roles and just needed the payday.

by Anonymousreply 207November 27, 2021 4:57 PM

I love how she positions herself like a single mother taking care of kids in the ghetto and worried how she’s going to make the next rent payment. She’s a multimillionaire.

by Anonymousreply 208November 27, 2021 5:32 PM

patton can't act either

by Anonymousreply 209November 27, 2021 5:56 PM

She is the bitchiest actress who ever actressed, bitch bitch bitch. Now she could win an award for that.

by Anonymousreply 210November 27, 2021 6:00 PM

Wonder how crazy that set got with stone and berry

by Anonymousreply 211November 27, 2021 6:10 PM

Halle Berry is also batshit crazy, and has a ton of personal drama that more than likely spills over onto a movie set. I'm sure none of that had anything to do with why producers and directors didn't want to work with her.

by Anonymousreply 212November 27, 2021 6:22 PM

Halle is (now) an old hag. Time to move on, gays!

by Anonymousreply 213January 10, 2022 10:42 PM

She was so dull as Storm. It should have been Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 214January 10, 2022 10:44 PM

Actresses getting paid big bucks to go topless is probably very common, but Swordfight was a big news story for some reason. Any tea?

At first Halle defended that scene, but later admitted that it was, indeed, gratuitous and also claimed she did it as a test run for Monster's Ball.

by Anonymousreply 215June 14, 2022 11:15 PM

She has about 3.5 expressions she cycles through. Got lucky early being in an interesting film with a better, more interesting actor and she's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 216June 14, 2022 11:17 PM

Hillary swanky and Halle Berry match up well. They both have 5 facial expressions they share between them.

by Anonymousreply 217June 14, 2022 11:21 PM

The Oscars tends to reward women for getting naked.

by Anonymousreply 218June 14, 2022 11:25 PM

Is she mental?

by Anonymousreply 219June 14, 2022 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!