Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beanie Feldstein To Star in Broadway's 'Funny Girl' Revival in 2022

Does the show's premise depend on the leading lady being hard to look at? Poor girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 3, 2022 4:04 PM

Well, if a girl isn’t pretty, like a Miss Atlantic City.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2021 1:07 AM

She sure is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2021 1:08 AM

The nepotism of it all. She's literally a female Jonah Hill .

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2021 1:09 AM

Let's hope she has less yo yo-ing than her fat fuck brother.

If you think the Hills are ugly now, you should see them when they're thin and popular.

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2021 1:09 AM

Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2021 1:15 AM

A thumb in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2021 1:17 AM

Fannie Brice was fat?

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2021 1:23 AM

Does she have the voice?

by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2021 1:24 AM

Hello, Gordo!

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2021 1:26 AM

Let's not.

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2021 1:29 AM

Lea Michelle was trending regarding this news and everyone was making fun of how miserable she must have been that she didn't get the part. What is the deal with that? Do people not like Lea or something?

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2021 1:31 AM

This thread will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2021 1:35 AM

What a god-awful unfortunate name. At least her brother had the sense to change his!

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2021 1:39 AM

Barbra was prettier and more talented. I heard beanie singing and it sounded very generic.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote] Do people not like Lea or something?

R11, did you just fall off the turnip truck?

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2021 1:56 AM

Is she box office? Star of Booksmart doesn’t exactly sell tickets.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2021 3:09 AM

R13 They've finally found a face and name more Hebraic than Barbra Streisand.

Fanny Brice was plain-looking and thin, and certainly made less of an impression than either of these high-profile Jewesses. But that's how good writers are supposed to live.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2021 3:15 AM

DL fave Melissa Miller is gearing up to be her understudy.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2021 3:15 AM

Fanny Brice:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2021 3:42 AM

R19 I've seen heavier portions on Beanie Feldstein's lunch plate. How the hell are they gonna make this work, visually?

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2021 3:43 AM

If this tubbo Jew Broad wins an Oscar before me, I will burn this fucking town straight down to the desert soil!

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2021 4:26 AM

Not the first fat fanny on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 22August 12, 2021 5:05 AM

She doesn’t have the voice for it.

I don’t know how she’s going to sing this show and who they think will pay to see her?

Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 23August 12, 2021 6:01 AM

This can't be as bad as the Brits reviving Funny Girl in the West End and casting Sheridan Smith as Fanny Brice. And then praising her with excellent reviews much like they did with the mousy, dull Elena Roger in their Evita revival.

by Anonymousreply 24August 12, 2021 6:43 AM

This is gonna be worse than Precious, when the reviewers praise the lead actress for being "brave" to show her fat face in "this shallow business."

by Anonymousreply 25August 12, 2021 6:45 AM

This bitch is fat and fugly.

by Anonymousreply 26August 12, 2021 6:46 AM

Don't rain on her parade. It will only make her float.

by Anonymousreply 27August 12, 2021 8:04 AM

What a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 28August 12, 2021 8:12 AM

[quote] Barbra was prettier and more talented.

Probably. In the pics OP posted, Beanie actually looks prettier than Barbra, however.

by Anonymousreply 29August 12, 2021 8:31 AM

Beanie Feldstein is going to sing The Music That Makes Me Dance? I think most of the audience will be heading up the aisle by then.

This has “community theatre turn” written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 30August 12, 2021 12:25 PM

R24 Well, at least Sheridan Smith is a pretty good actress, without being a case of nepotism, so there is that.

by Anonymousreply 31August 12, 2021 12:34 PM

She's who was cast in "Merrily We Roll Along in Linklater's 20 years in the making film.

by Anonymousreply 32August 12, 2021 12:38 PM

link for R32. Pardon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 12, 2021 12:39 PM

I'm afraid I don't know enough about either show to know if the same woman could feasibly play both roles properly. Enlighten me, please.

by Anonymousreply 34August 12, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote] Well, at least Sheridan Smith is a pretty good actress, without being a case of nepotism, so there is that

I saw her in Funny Girl and found her completely unbelievable as a Lower East Side New York Jew. Carol Burnett, who turned down the role when she was originally approached for the original Broadway production, was right. The actress playing Fanny has to be convincingly Jewish. Or at least 'ethnic New Yorker'.

by Anonymousreply 35August 12, 2021 12:56 PM

I’m not a fan of this actress.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2021 1:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2021 2:58 PM

She doesn't have the voice to carry Funny Girl.

And she is a rich kid from LA who started voice lessons when she was in elementary school.

(Ben sounds lovely in this video - he can sing).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 12, 2021 3:12 PM

One more featuring her dancing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 12, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote] Lea Michelle was trending regarding this news and everyone was making fun of how miserable she must have been that she didn't get the part. What is the deal with that? Do people not like Lea or something?

There's a BI for that. ------

- The Nastiness Factor

In any profession, it’s good to have goals.

This actress has had the same goal for her entire life!

Her goal was to play the lead in the revival/remake of this classic musical.

The movie originally starred a legendary with an exceptional voice. She wound up winning an Oscar for her performance.

Our actress sincerely believes that she is a performer of the same caliber. She believes that she proved that as the lead of a television series that showed off her vocal talents. She believes that when the time is right, she will be called upon to take the baton of stardom and reprise the very role that made that Oscar winner a star.

Well, folks, the time is now!

They are doing a revival of that famous role on Broadway!

Yes, the very role that our actress believes she was born to play!

They just finished auditions and… the producers picked someone else for the lead role.

Needless to say, our actress is not exactly [bold]glee[/bold]ful about this.

[italic] She is devastated. She can’t believe that they picked someone less attractive, less talented, and with an inferior voice. It feels like a total slap in the face. [/italic]

We don’t mean to rain on her parade, but we hear that if our actress had been nicer to people on her way up, the producers would have seriously considered her for the starring role.

In this case, the nastiness factor appears to have cost her the lead.

From the Blind Gossip Site.

by Anonymousreply 40August 12, 2021 3:45 PM

In which particular alternative universe is that "item" even remotely "blind"?

by Anonymousreply 41August 12, 2021 3:50 PM

I’m supposed to stick my dick into that?

by Anonymousreply 42August 12, 2021 4:08 PM

Jonah Hill with a vagina, how stunning

by Anonymousreply 43August 12, 2021 4:11 PM

I had no idea she was Jonah Hill's sister.

I liked "Booksmart."

"Beanie" is a godawful, off-putting name, and she never should have entertained using it as her stage name. I'm sure she and her family and friends think it's cute. Everyone else thinks of a pile of mushy beans, Beano*, or worse.

* (the gas remedy, not the British comic mag)

by Anonymousreply 44August 12, 2021 4:17 PM

Was Lea Michelle even considered?

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2021 4:25 PM

It's a better choice than Lauren Ambrose at least.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2021 4:27 PM

R35, Sheridan Smith was completely unconvincing as Californian Elle Woods in Legally Blonde but people over here went nuts for her and I believe she won an Olivier Award. She wasn't funny, she wasn't sexy, she had no sense of fashion. All she did was repeatedly walk down to the apron of the stage, arms akimbo, and sing her songs. I didn't even think her voice was that impressive. Audiences have different criteria around the world, they're not always looking for authenticity.

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2021 4:28 PM

Hey Mister Aaaarrrrnnsteeeeeiinnn—

Where’s myyyyyyy ha-a-a-a-mmmm??????

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2021 4:30 PM

Lol R43.

by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2021 4:32 PM

Harvey Fierstein is going to write the book for this? Any young actress who wants to play Fanny in Funny Girl will have watched the movie and would insist that the show end with "My Man" like the film did.

Will they drop the gorgeous "The Music That Makes Me Dance" and acquire the rights to "My Man" instead? The book for the original show may have been an incoherent mess but it at least ended on a defiant note with Fanny reprising "Don't Rain On My Parade". The film chose to turn Fanny into an eternally codependent victim who still loved her man. The live vocal in the first part of "My Man" may have been a great cinematic moment but a DROMP reprise was truer to the real Fanny Bruce, who did get over Nick Arnstein.

by Anonymousreply 50August 13, 2021 8:15 AM

Hahahahaha

That’s a great rename for a remake with Beanie

DROMP !

by Anonymousreply 51August 13, 2021 3:16 PM

Does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2021 1:04 AM

Chrissy Metz will play the Anne Francis part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2021 1:14 AM

"Was Lea Michelle even considered?"

Nope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2021 1:34 AM

OP stop trying to make this fat fug happen. She is so hard to look at and makes Streisand like like a supermodel.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2021 3:26 PM

A " gracious " Lea Michele.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2021 12:37 PM

🎶"Beanie Feldstein, Beanie Feldstein, What a beautiful, beautiful naaaame! 🎶

by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2021 7:11 PM

My pick to star in the revival would have been Maude Maggart. She has such a beautiful voice, strong and pure but not a typical "Broadway" voice, very unique. She could sing the hell out of those songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2022 11:36 PM

What happened to Lea Michele? Is she too old for the part now?

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2022 11:47 PM

Isn't Maude cat shit crazy Fiona Apple's mom?

by Anonymousreply 60January 27, 2022 5:13 AM

R60 Her sister.

by Anonymousreply 61January 27, 2022 5:15 AM

R58, I agree with you that Maude Maggart is terrific, but she’s just a month shy of 47. She looks great, but honestly too old to play Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 62January 27, 2022 6:15 AM

R46 but Lauren Ambrose has a gorgeous voice!

by Anonymousreply 63January 27, 2022 6:50 AM

When you are rich, white, and connected, "opportunities" are endless and doors fly open for you!

I can literally think of dozens of women that would be better for this part.

by Anonymousreply 64January 27, 2022 7:03 AM

She must have powerful backers. Someone with no discernible vocal talent to star in a Broadway musical in the iconic role that is worldwide associated with Streisand - yeah that’ll work.

I’m reminded of the mania in the UK to make Sheridan Smith happen.

by Anonymousreply 65January 27, 2022 8:34 AM

Stop trying to make Beanie happen. It is NOT going to happen!!

by Anonymousreply 66January 27, 2022 9:03 AM

Hello, Gorgonzola!

by Anonymousreply 67January 27, 2022 12:26 PM

[quote] When you are rich, white, and connected, "opportunities" are endless and doors fly open for you!

When you are rich, Jewish, and connected," opportunities" are endless and show business doors fly open for you!

by Anonymousreply 68January 27, 2022 1:01 PM

It has to get to Broadway first, and it’s not at all clear that will happen. It most likely will die on the vine like every other attempt at a Funny Girl revival.

I’m not sure why producers and directors think this is some white wale they need to overcome. The possibility of a Barbra level talent showing up in this age of non singers like Adele and Billie Eilish are basically zero. And the show is just not interesting or good enough to survive without an absolutely major voice carrying it. And that voice is most decidedly NOT Beanie Feldstein, or Lauren Ambrose for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 69January 27, 2022 1:36 PM

Yeah, and we all saw how that worked out R65. Sheridan Smith literally had a nervous breakdown with all the pressure and had to be carted off to a rubber room by the men in white jackets.

by Anonymousreply 70January 27, 2022 1:37 PM

Sheridan Smith was a ludicrous casting choice for a Jewish New Yorker from the Lower East Side to begin with. Especially someone like Fanny Brice who was very identifiably Jewish in her stage persona. It must be payback from the Brits for Hollywood casting Babs as an English woman in OACDYCSF.

by Anonymousreply 71January 29, 2022 11:00 AM

2 Stars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2022 2:30 PM

“Jane Lynch looks like she should be running a lighthouse in Maine.”

by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2022 2:34 PM

Sheridan Smith had a nervous breakdown because her father was diagnosed with the cancer that would take his life. She returned to the show and completed her run in the show by taking it on tour.

Sheridan and Beanie are not comparable. One is a star in the UK, whether you think she deserves to be or not. And one got great reviews, whether you think she deserves them or not.

Mimi Hines did just fine when she replaced Streisand. It's not an impossible set of shoes to fill. You need a dynamo with star quality. Those people do still exist. They may not have the right people in their corner...

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2022 2:37 PM

Did anyone see Samantha Spiro play the role. I've enjoyed her sitcom work. I expect she's not a powerhouse singer.

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2022 2:38 PM

[Quote] When you are rich, Jewish, and connected," opportunities" are endless and show business doors fly open for you!

Is Ben Platt's brother not Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2022 2:38 PM

Nick was Fanny's second husband. Was she 30 when she married him?

by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2022 2:39 PM

The entire Sheridan Smith version is linked below. I actually went into it not wanting to like it and Sheridan won me over. Do I think someone else would have been better in the role, yes. But Sheridan did an excellent job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2022 3:14 PM

Sheridan Smith’s Funny Girl is trash. It’s bad in its own way as Beanie’s. No one wants to sit through that. Also, the English don’t have a fucking clue how to stage or do American musical theater. It’s always cold and removed and weird.

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2022 12:32 PM

Brits have a different attitude to musical theatre. It's a lark to them. And plenty of people wanted to see Smith in Funny Girl. She'd be suited to Me & My Girl, if it were to come back to New York.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2022 12:34 PM

Funnily enough, the London "Legally Blonde" worked better than the New York one. Sheridan Smith was a big part of the reasons why.

by Anonymousreply 81April 26, 2022 12:35 PM

R11 Lea Michele doesn't think her shit stinks. Her costars have known for years that she is an entitled raging cunt! However, now that it has leaked out to the public, investors are skiddish where she is concerned.

R40 You're absolutely correct!

And how could Beanie not know that Lea Michele wanted the part? Beanie's full of shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82April 26, 2022 12:52 PM

Barbra was cute ugly in the original whereas Beanie is just ugly ugly. Still can't believe Monica Lewinsky approved this bitch to play her in that Ryan Murphy abortion of a show. I'd be so fucking insulted.

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2022 12:53 PM

I saw this revival, went in with an open mind and was shocked at how bad Beanie was. The girl can't sing the score, mugged throughout the book scenes, and looked ridiculous in unflattering costumes. The entire production is a mess, the supporting actors are fine, but nobody standout. What waste of $200.

by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2022 1:04 PM

[Quote] Barbra was cute ugly in the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2022 1:24 PM

Barbra has always been a dog. Casting Beanie is keeping the tradition.

by Anonymousreply 86April 27, 2022 12:18 AM

The standby, Julie Benko, has been playing Fanny all weekend to rave reviews. The prospect of her eventually taking over the role could save the show.

Beanie, you in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 87May 1, 2022 8:44 PM

Hardly. People have posted audio clips. Benko is no spitfire.

by Anonymousreply 88May 1, 2022 8:45 PM

Rave reviews from who? Her mother?

by Anonymousreply 89May 2, 2022 12:57 PM

People who want Beanie to fail. But Beanie has already failed.... Benko ain't Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 90May 3, 2022 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!