Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV dinners

Do they still call them that- frozen mini-meals you put in the microwave? Was it because you could take them easily to the couch, put your feet up and watch the television?

Any faves?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2021 11:40 PM

Feet up? We used TV trays.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2021 7:39 PM

TV dinners are not just one dish, OP. They are a main course, one or two side dishes, and dessert served in a tray.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2021 7:40 PM

And they weren’t microwaved, OP.

They were put in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2021 7:41 PM

R3 Still the best way to enjoy them if you are able to heat them that way.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2021 7:42 PM

Marie C pot pies used to be good but last time I bought one it was soupy. Yuck. I’m off the chicken pot pies.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2021 7:46 PM

But you can’t anymore, R4, since they’re no longer in metal tins but in plastic containers.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2021 8:31 PM

I miss actual tv dinners. What was that steak Swanson's had?

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2021 8:33 PM

Not Salisbury, btw—more like a pot roast maybe.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2021 8:34 PM

Salisbury steak.

Mmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2021 8:34 PM

D’oh!

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2021 8:35 PM

@5 sucks for you I eat them all the time - great food ' for 2.50$ at wal mart

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2021 8:35 PM

My mom eats those pies at OP, but she cuts them open and "doctors" them up with more chicken, seasonings, etc. I guess it defeats the purpose of just taking one out of the freezer and throwing it in the oven, but I think most frozen foods need all the help they can get.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2021 8:39 PM

They're called Divorced Dad meals nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2021 8:47 PM

I've been eating the Marie Calendar chicken pot pies lately. The store closest to me sells them for some where around $2. They do come in a metal tin, so I cook it in the oven. Not the best meal in the world, but tasty. I find over cooking them a bit by 10 minutes or so works to help keep them from being too soupy.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote] for 2.50$ at wal mart

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2021 9:17 PM

I'm surprised Marie Callender pies are going for $2. I remember back in the late 80s my roommate used to buy those, and he regarded them as quite luxurious splurges, costing well above the price of a Swanson's, at maybe $4 or $5 (which nowadays is a lot more).

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2021 9:26 PM

[quote]But you can’t anymore, R4, since they’re no longer in metal tins but in plastic containers.

R6, the Marie Callender Pot Pies come in heat-resistant paper bowls with a special interior coating, which withstands the heat of conventional ovens quite handily.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2021 9:32 PM

I’ve always enjoyed Stouffer’s Stove Top Stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2021 9:36 PM

Stouffers has the best frozen food brand to me. The Salisbury Steaks are really good.

There Lasagna’s are not too bad either.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2021 9:42 PM

Tucker "Fishsticks" Carlson's famous Frenzied Fish Sticks made me the MAGAt idiot I am today...

Freedumb! Trump Won!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote] There Lasagna’s are not too bad either.

Oh, dear x2!

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2021 9:57 PM

I like the Amy’s brand, especially the broccoli cheddar pot pie and the veggie lasagna. Both should go in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2021 10:09 PM

[quote]Stouffers has the best frozen food brand to me... There Lasagna’s are not too bad either.

I can't stand Stouffer's Lasagna. Too much 'bounce' and 'crunch' from the mystery meat they use in it. It gags me every time.

I prefer Michael Angelo's instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2021 10:22 PM

"TV Dinner" is a registered trademark of Swanson's (once owned by Campbell's, now by Conagra). The original boxes looked like a TV set.

Frozen meals from other companies can't be called TV Dinners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2021 11:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!