Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

British Dancing show Strictly Come Dancing to feature an all male pairing for the first time

Strictly Come Dancing the UK equivalent of Dancing with the stars is to feature an all male pairing / Dancing partnership for the first time. A move that is being hailed as progress for equality and acceptance of same Sex relationships . John Whaite, a former winning contestant from a television cookery show will be partnered with a make professor dancer.

Strictly is one of the biggest television shows in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319December 18, 2021 8:59 PM

You'd never guess by looking at him. He makes an airline steward look macho

by Anonymousreply 1August 6, 2021 10:06 PM

r1 Meow!!! 😆

by Anonymousreply 2August 6, 2021 10:07 PM

I think you’d probably alienate a lot of our audience. We’ve always had the guys dance together on the show, but they’ve never really done it in each other’s arm’s before. I’m certainly one of those people that really like to see guys be guys and girls be girls on stage.

by Anonymousreply 3August 6, 2021 10:30 PM

r3 Last year the BBC paired together two women in what I suspect they saw as a bit of a test run on public reaction and on the whole there wasn't really a big public backlash.

by Anonymousreply 4August 6, 2021 10:36 PM

It's 2021. Only the fundies and rednecks really care.

by Anonymousreply 5August 6, 2021 10:41 PM

Is this a good move? A positive move?

by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2021 10:42 PM

I'd rather watch same sex couples twirling on the floor than have to look at and listen to Tyra Banks.

by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2021 10:44 PM

đŸ•ș He's a butch baker

I'll bet it's hot in his kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2021 10:50 PM

r5 I'm trying to think of the term for the UK equivalent of rednecks? Has Dancing with the stars had same sex couples partnerships dancing ?

by Anonymousreply 9August 6, 2021 10:56 PM

Chavs.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2021 12:29 AM

Of course r10 although I was about to suggest scallies!!

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2021 12:39 AM

I don’t know why people would be against this. Two men dancing together professionally has been common at least since vaudeville. Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, Gene Kelly and Donald O’Connor, many other male partner teams. Men are usually stronger than women and can do more athletic moves.

If the two men do some romantic or sexy dancing, I guess some people might not like it, but how many of those people are watching dancing shows anyway? Aren’t they too macho to watch dancing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2021 12:50 AM

It's ballroom dancing and latin, though.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2021 12:50 AM

I guess there may be some longshoremen at home watching the dancing, but if these dance teams are pretty good and not just grinding, they’ll get over it. A competition is a competition.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2021 1:11 AM

Y'all sound like freepers

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2021 1:19 AM

John Whaite is such an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2021 2:25 AM

OP is a dull scold who doesn't know the DL and doesn't belong here.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2021 3:11 AM

I thought OP’s pic was Will Young!

WHET to John Whaite’s baking career?

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2021 4:18 AM

It failed to... rise.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2021 4:21 AM

How soon before this is done on Dancing with the Stars?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2021 4:22 AM

So....double the stanksleeve stench?

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2021 7:12 AM

Nicola Adams and Katya worked well together and it's a shame they had to pull out. Adams is a double Olympic boxing champion and even though she is muscular she's not masculine.

I expect they'll pair Thwaite with Johannes and Thwaite can do the lifting.

[quote]WHET to John Whaite’s baking career?

He is the resident foodie on a Channel 4 show that has notoriously low viewing figures.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2021 7:28 AM

The very definition of hot, Glad they're doing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2021 8:25 AM

No one beats Flavia and Vincent when it comes to Tango

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2021 8:30 AM

Plenty of people beat Vincent and Flavia at the tango - I like them, but their version is far from authentic.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2021 12:44 PM

Strictly Professionals James Jordan and Artem Chigvintsev rehearsed the Rumba that Artem was going to do in the show with Kara years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2021 4:27 PM

Was James Jordan against same sex dancing on the show?

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2021 4:29 PM

R23 They have skill but are way too robotic. If anyone could post here videos of men dancing tango together where they look hot, I'd be thankful.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2021 4:41 PM

James Jordan's comments on same sex couples on Strictly are here:

He's a traditionalist and VERY competitive - his competitiveness made him the most unlikeable professional on the show. However good a dancer he is, and however good his partners were he was never going to win.

There have been sex role swaps in dances - Len Goodman nearly had a heart attack when Kelly Brook started waving her cape for paso doble, and Michelle Visage did some kind of Bucks Fizz dress removal thing for her's.

Nicola Adams and Katya didn't have the chance to be truly creative with the few dances they did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2021 4:45 PM

Why does the show have to have such a faggoty name?

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote] Why does the show have to have such a faggoty name?

It is a rather ridiculous name, but it’s a mish mash of the name of another dancing show and the film Strictly Ballroom. It makes more sense in the British context which is why it was changed to Dancing with the Stars in other markets.

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote]Why does the show have to have such a mattdamony name?

There was a long running show on the BBC called Come Dancing which covered competitive ballroom dancing. It ran for over 50 years and was cancelled in 1998.,

When the reality tv boom started in the early 2000s the BBC was left trailing the commercial channels and came up with the idea of a show where celebrities were taught to dance with professional dancers.

They stole the Strictly from Strictly Ballroom, which was hugely popular in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2021 5:15 PM

Come Dancing clip, this was really how the ladies dressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2021 5:19 PM

I believe ballroom dancing was a big hobby among Brits when the original show ran, so "Come Dancing" made perfect sense. I think there's a Kinks album withe same or a similar title.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2021 5:19 PM

For R28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2021 5:26 PM

Steven would never.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2021 5:38 PM

Two new celebrities announced today. Gordon Ramsey's daughter is doing it along with Dame Emma Thompson's husband Greg Wise!

To think Wise had such promise as a young actor - The Riff Raff Element, all those BBC costume dramas, Sense & Sensibility.

Even recently he was in The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2021 4:12 PM

It's a pandemic. And Brit actors like to work.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2021 4:15 PM

In Britain, do the family members of celebrities count as “stars?”

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2021 4:52 PM

Kenneth Branagh should be named a judge.

by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2021 5:01 PM

R35 That.was fantastic now I have to watch the whole film. Thx for posting this.

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2021 5:09 PM

I've been a fan of John Whaite since the GBBO show. Looking forward to seeing him dance.

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote]In Britain, do the family members of celebrities count as “stars?”

This is the 19th series and there is a chance they're running out of celebrities to do it. They really do well with household names, whether it's singers, tv presenters, actors, sports stars, comedians and the odd politician.

They've steered clear of people famous only for reality shows. Mark Wright from The Only Way Is Essex and Jamie Laing from Made In Chelsea have been the exceptions, and thankfully rumours about The GC have come to nothing - hopefully her appearance on Dancing On Ice will mean she'll never be on Strictly.

2 years ago some YouTuber called Saffron appeared and last year a guy called HRVY appeared, who apparently sings online.

Gordon Ramsey's daughter is an influencer but doesn't seem to have a talent.

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2021 6:12 PM

In 2012 Victoria Pendleton and Louis Smith signed up, straight after their success in London.

In 2016 Greg Rutherford and Claudia Fragapane appeared after representing Team GB in Rio.

I'd expect at least 2 Tokyo Olympians to appear. Maybe Jade Jones and Jack Laugher?

Just IMAGINE if Tom Daley was announced as competing ALSO with a male partner. John Thwaite would be reenacting the Zoe Lucker breakdown scene before you can say soggy bottom.

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2021 6:26 PM

Ramsay's daughter is a reasonably long-time broadcaster on the BBC's children's network as well as being a Tik-Tok whatever, so she ticks two demographics. Greg Wise is a solid booking on his own - certainly a step-up from the usual soap stars. I think the chance of Olympians is low, other than definite retirees and few of the stars have said that yet. With the Commonwealth Games coming quickly, because of the COVID delay, and Paris only 3 years away, there will be fewer available athletes than usual.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote]I think the chance of Olympians is low, other than definite retirees and few of the stars have said that yet. With the Commonwealth Games coming quickly, because of the COVID delay, and Paris only 3 years away, there will be fewer available athletes than usual.

Any Olympian would be mental to turn Strictly down. It's a maximum 4 months of very well paid work and will massively boost their earning potential. A lot of Olympians have said the need a break mentally from their sports.

Louis Smith competed in 2012 and carried on competing, winning medals in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2021 7:03 PM

Strictly Cum Dancing?

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2021 7:21 PM

Didn't one of Kathie Lee Gifford's spawn compete on Dancing With The Stars? I don't think showbiz nepotism is particular to British Reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]Didn't one of Kathie Lee Gifford's spawn compete on Dancing With The Stars? I don't think showbiz nepotism is particular to British Reality TV.

Rod Stewart's wife competed in one of the early series of Strictly. Apparently she had a career outside of being his wife but I couldn't tell you what. And Nancy Dell'Olio was a contestant, a lawyer most famous for dating former England football manager Sven Goran Eriksen, who cheated on Nancy with former weather presenter and rape victim Ulrika Johnson who has never been a contestant on Strictly.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2021 7:47 PM

Honor Blackman, in a rare moment of bitchery, took down Nancy on "Loose Women."

8:25

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 11, 2021 9:10 PM

However, R46, it wrecked Jade Johnson's future Olympic hopes.

by Anonymousreply 51August 11, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote]How soon before this is done on Dancing with the Stars?

It will NEVER happen as long as it's one one of the major broadcast networks.

NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2021 9:41 PM

To add to R52, ABC, which shows DWTS in the US, is owned by Disney, and they have at least one Disney “star” each season.

by Anonymousreply 53August 11, 2021 9:46 PM

[quote]I think the chance of Olympians is low, other than definite retirees and few of the stars have said that yet. With the Commonwealth Games coming quickly, because of the COVID delay, and Paris only 3 years away, there will be fewer available athletes than usual.

I beg pardon?

by Anonymousreply 54August 13, 2021 4:30 PM

[quote] Strictly Come Dancing the UK equivalent of Dancing with the stars

I think you mean, it is the original one that Dancing With The Stars is adapted from.

by Anonymousreply 55August 13, 2021 4:39 PM

Will the white pro male dancer with the yellow skin be on this season?

by Anonymousreply 56August 13, 2021 4:57 PM

And the final celebrity contestant has been announced!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2021 8:55 AM

This series starts in 9 days. Will be interesting to see if there is much of a backlash against the same sex male pairing .

by Anonymousreply 58September 9, 2021 8:52 PM

After reading this thread, I went in search of other male tango pairings and found this one which I really love!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 9, 2021 9:14 PM

That doesn't work for me. May others enjoy it but gay men aren't "one's the woman, one's the man" in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 60September 9, 2021 9:19 PM

And shockingly enough, there is/was a "Queer Tango Festival" in St. Petersburg apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 9, 2021 9:27 PM

[quote]This series starts in 9 days. Will be interesting to see if there is much of a backlash against the same sex male pairing .

There won't be any backlash. The main point of interest is if they give John Thwaite a smallish dancer like Gorka, Giovanni or Johannes so Thwaite can take on the traditional male role with the lifting and leading. I can't see Aliaz or the tattooed ginger trying to lift Thwaite.

by Anonymousreply 62September 9, 2021 9:37 PM

It's been flagged up he's getting Graziano apparently. By the way, Johannes isn't smallish, but is the tallest male dancer currently, at 6 2, while Giovanni is mid-range. The shorties are now Neil, Gorka and one of the new guys.

by Anonymousreply 63September 9, 2021 10:09 PM

DL should be against this as these dances are made for male and female partners. You’re outraged when trannies try to change anything.

by Anonymousreply 64September 9, 2021 10:10 PM

It's a shame AJ left. He'd be the perfect candidate.

by Anonymousreply 65September 9, 2021 10:11 PM

AJ is about 4 foot high. It would have been ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 66September 9, 2021 10:18 PM

Easy to lift.

by Anonymousreply 67September 9, 2021 10:48 PM

r62 I hope you are right. That would be fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 68September 9, 2021 11:30 PM

Really? Are they going to cheat on each other and then blame the other one when he gets a disease?

by Anonymousreply 69September 9, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote]I expect they'll pair Thwaite with Johannes and Thwaite can do the lifting.

SO PREDICTABLE!

And their first dance is a TANGO!

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2021 7:56 PM

Johannes is very tall.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2021 8:08 PM

I'm so glad Gordon Ramsey's daughter was selected for her own personality and achievements and that whatever her name is, her identity as Gordon Ramsey's daughter didn't completely dominate her introduction to Strictly.

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2021 8:29 PM

I find John Whaite to be gorgeous with a naturally beautiful body. I'm not sure why he has bulked up so much recently, he definitely doesn't need bulky muscles.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2021 9:13 PM

I love Johannes...I hope it's a good pairing. He’s seriously everything!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2021 10:19 PM

Johannes is talented but he's not serving with those facial expressions.

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2021 10:33 PM

r70 Is Johannes gay ?

There was lots of speculation that the young Italian dancer(not Giovanni) was going to be the professional in the male same set pairing. Grazia?

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Johannes is out. Out as gay. A noted homosexualist.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2021 11:10 PM

Graziano has a public relationship, does he not? With a woman.

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2021 11:10 PM

r78 I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure the position of the bbc is that whoever took part in the same set pairing didn't have to be gay themselves r77 Thanks I way aware that it was confirmed or widely known.

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2021 11:17 PM

It sounds that the Strictly producers initially slightly preferred Graz as John's partner, but John really wanted Johannes (because he was gay, not because he didn't like Graz or anything) and they do take these things into account, up to a point. The celebs can't demand a partner (usually - the appalling Widdicombe apparently said Anton or no-one), but there can clearly be 'discussions'.

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2021 12:06 PM

I love Johannes, this seems like a great partnership.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2021 9:36 PM

johannesradebe's profile picture johannesradebe Verified Looking through these comments and I just want to say, beauty sees beauty đŸ™đŸŸ THANK YOU all for the love and encouragement đŸ’™đŸ’šđŸ’›đŸ§Ąâ€ïžđŸ’œđŸ€Ž we're working hard for this coming Saturday and I'm so proud of my other-half @john_whaite...Xx 37 m2 likesReply

Comment from Johannes, so it seems he is happy and this year we have "Team JoJo" ( although I hate that team shit).

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2021 9:42 PM

Heterosexually-married pop musician and kids’ book author Tom Fletcher has a female pro to partner with for this series of Strictly, but he pings off the charts to me and always has.

For that matter, so does Tom’s bandmate Harry Judd, a former Strictly winner. I thought they were shagging back in the days their band McFly were still popular (c. late 2000s).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2021 10:13 PM

Tom McFly needs to leave early or we will have his annoying wife every week. He can take Tilly fucking Ramsey and her dad too.

Sadly, I think both of these will last and annoy us.

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2021 10:26 PM

John Waite has gone quite circuit queen.

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2021 11:01 PM

r84 Tilly is paired with a hot new dancer. Keep her in!

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2021 11:33 PM

r85 Circuit Queen?

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2021 11:34 PM

R84 I like Tom ok, but his wife is almost tragicomically Frauey and twee. His little sister is a bit like that, too, though at least she has a creative job outside of being a Yummy Mummy.

by Anonymousreply 88September 21, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote]For that matter, so does Tom’s bandmate Harry Judd, a former Strictly winner. I thought they were shagging back in the days their band McFly were still popular (c. late 2000s).

Popbitch had regular stories about a boyband member back in the early/mid 2000s who was regularly on gaydar and how some of his of private photos were cropped to a point you could make out his face. All of the clues led to McFly but never to which one.

by Anonymousreply 89September 21, 2021 7:53 AM

It was probably Jon Lee.

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2021 8:40 AM

R89 popbitch is defo a reputable source

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2021 10:25 AM

R89, maybe a McFly and a Willis?

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2021 10:49 AM

I usually don't bother watching Strictly (which is most often referred to in the UK as 'Strickly' just FYI for you gorgeous Americans) unless there is a contestant I really fancy and I want to see their hot body in skimpy costumes, but I might watch at least the male/male dancers dancing - actually, John looks much hotter than he did when he was on British Bake-Off years ago, he has put on a good bit of muscle!

What I hope though, is that they do dances where they switch the traditional 'male' and 'female' roles during the dance - I personally wouldn't like it if Johannes is always taking the 'male' role and John the 'female' role or vice versa. If you're going to do a same-sex pairing, the point should be that the sex of the dancers isn't important.

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2021 11:27 AM

r93, I think they will do it much better than Nicola/Katya in their brief time last year. They played it as both androgynous,

Johannes will go full on and I think John is up for it. I am really looking forward to this pairing. I couldn't vote for him with the odious Caroline Quentin, tried for a bit with Tyldesley but had to go back to Oti vote. Maybe this will be a good year for him, fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2021 11:59 AM

Also John with greasy Graziano would be an early doors. So that was a lucky escape.

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2021 12:00 PM

John and Johnannes did a decent job but John with be hissing like a slightly unscrewed fizzy pop bottle that Adam Peaty won the gay vote for wiggling his tits and his arse in those impossibly tight trousers.

I hope the Dragon's Den woman and the famous man's daughter are in the bottom 2 this week.

by Anonymousreply 96September 25, 2021 8:22 PM

r96 Adam Peaty was HOT tonight! He sizzled!

by Anonymousreply 97September 26, 2021 3:38 AM

I didn't care for Adam Peaty, he seems too much in love with himself. The perving by Craig/Shirl and Motsi was embarrassing. I was grateful for Anton for being the sane one.

by Anonymousreply 98September 29, 2021 12:35 PM

I don’t watch this, but has Harry Judd showed up to flirt with/banter off Tom yet?

by Anonymousreply 99September 29, 2021 3:54 PM

Harry's too hot to look twice at Tom.

by Anonymousreply 100September 29, 2021 3:56 PM

John and Johannes looked great tonight...very good score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 2, 2021 8:21 PM

r101, Loved their ChaChaCha. Johannes is a great choreographer as well as dancer. We sent our 6 votes to them tonight.

by Anonymousreply 102October 2, 2021 8:42 PM

The costume designer is having a great time with Adam Peaty's trousers. Tonight's left nothing to the imagination.

Craig's reaction to Emma Thompson's husband's dead relative dance was brutal.

by Anonymousreply 103October 2, 2021 8:52 PM

r101 I am sure they will go very far in this contest.

by Anonymousreply 104October 3, 2021 12:09 AM

Adam Peatty is a big butt slut.

by Anonymousreply 105October 3, 2021 3:07 AM

John and Johannes were great fun in the cha cha, though I would've liked a bit less individual prancing and more in hold.

The foxtrot with Aljaz was a cloying frau-fest, what with the trip to the crafting studio, forcing Aljaz to do crafts, and the craftsy props on set.

by Anonymousreply 106October 3, 2021 10:53 AM

But who leads when two bottoms dance?

by Anonymousreply 107October 3, 2021 11:09 AM

Maybe I'm being harsh but John Whaite is grinding my gears a little. It's great that he's in the first same sex (why not same gender?) male pairing but some of his comments are like there haven't been at least dozen fabulous homosexuals appearing on the show before him.

There were fabulously homosexual muscled sportsmen Colin Jackson and Mark Foster, fabulous homosexual Robert Rinder, fabulously iconic homosexual Julian Clary, fabulous homosexual Richard "Soapy Dick" Arnold, fabulous homosexual Russell Grant, fabulous homosexual Dr Ranj, fabulous homosexual Richard Coles, borderline fabulous homosexual Scott Mills, fabulously orange homosexual sister Julien Macdonald. And then there's fabulously homosexual dance professionals Ian Waite and Robin Windsor. I'll even add occasionally fabulous but mostly pretentious homosexual Will Young to the list, what with him leaving after a couple of weeks because he had PTSD from sharing his birthing parent's womb with another baby or something similar.

And then there's two winners who are long rumoured to be homosexuals but aren't (yet) out and proud homosexuals so they don't get to feature on the list.

by Anonymousreply 108October 3, 2021 11:15 AM

[quote]But who leads when two bottoms dance?

They take turns. That's what they did in the Tango and Shirley said it was very hard for them to take turns because when it's a man and a woman they don't have to take turns but with it being to men they have to take turns and Shirley said it's hard.

by Anonymousreply 109October 3, 2021 11:16 AM

It’s called flip-fucking, Shirl.

by Anonymousreply 110October 3, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote]They take turns. That's what they did in the Tango and Shirley said it was very hard for them to take turns because when it's a man and a woman they don't have to take turns but with it being to men they have to take turns and Shirley said it's hard.

Obviously that should be TWO men not TO men.

To quote Neil Tennant, it's hard, so hard.

by Anonymousreply 111October 3, 2021 11:19 AM

r108 Which two winners are rumoured to be homosexual? Is one of them a holby scot?

by Anonymousreply 112October 3, 2021 1:07 PM

Yeah, he's pretty definitely gay, R112. Not sure about the other - Jay?

by Anonymousreply 113October 3, 2021 2:18 PM

Rumored? Joe Whatsiface was outed by a fellow Scot actor - David Someone. Joe threatened David after they had a tryst - probably super paranoid about being know as gay.

by Anonymousreply 114October 3, 2021 2:19 PM

*known as gay

by Anonymousreply 115October 3, 2021 2:20 PM

Jay from The Wanted is the other gay winner.

by Anonymousreply 116October 3, 2021 2:20 PM

Wow. I've always liked John Waite since GBBO - though lord knows he has his issues and has immaturely acted out - but DAMN he can move.

I'd like that all over me.

And I agree - he doesn't need the bulk.

by Anonymousreply 117October 3, 2021 2:44 PM

^^ Should be Whaite.

by Anonymousreply 118October 3, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote]Rumored? Joe Whatsiface was outed by a fellow Scot actor - David Someone. Joe threatened David after they had a tryst - probably super paranoid about being know as gay.

David Paisley is absolutely vile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 3, 2021 2:50 PM

John should dance like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 3, 2021 2:52 PM

[Quote] David Paisley is absolutely vile.

You know him personally?

by Anonymousreply 121October 3, 2021 2:59 PM

Is that the guy from the Wow, you can really dance video?

by Anonymousreply 122October 3, 2021 3:05 PM

We are stuck with that giant loose woman Judy for ages aren't we? This will be the Anne Widdecombe torture mark 2.

I won't miss Nina, but there were worse people and I would've saved her over Katie.

Johannes has cute pics on his instagram, not sure how to bring them here.

by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2021 7:50 PM

Nikita wasn't half as comely as AJ.

by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2021 8:24 PM

Well with Judi, you get Graziano; with Nina, Neil; I'm not very upset with the current situation.

by Anonymousreply 125October 4, 2021 4:46 PM

If only Graziano would sort out that frizzy mop on his head he might have potential.

by Anonymousreply 126October 5, 2021 5:14 AM

Antiethnic!

by Anonymousreply 127October 5, 2021 10:05 AM

r126, I wish he would cut that stringy hair...he would look 100xs better with shorter hair.

by Anonymousreply 128October 5, 2021 5:50 PM

He'd do better to remove the chest tat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 5, 2021 6:10 PM

Thank you, Attitude, for getting rid of the awful hair. He's decent-looking.

by Anonymousreply 130October 6, 2021 11:44 AM

He is very good looking, somehow he is addicted to his greasy look.And I slag him off for it but I do really like him. He has only had one proper partner before ,she was such a full of herself cunt. He spent years on the bench then he got Vicky Hope.The biggest I love myself since ever. Public hated her for being a twat ( not for being biracial) and she blamed Graziano and said his English was too poor, that was why she got voted out.

by Anonymousreply 131October 6, 2021 9:47 PM

r125, Nope,not crying for the loss of Neil.

by Anonymousreply 132October 6, 2021 9:50 PM

OMG that opening dance had me in tears.

I have a new admiration for Kai after that dance. And my love of Johannes remains undimmed.

by Anonymousreply 133October 9, 2021 5:58 PM

Here is a link to the opening number of Strictly, r133. I think the complete number will be up on Youtube soon after the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 9, 2021 6:47 PM

John and Johannes are on top of the leader board with 10/10/10/9 = 39. They did an amazing Paso Doble!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 9, 2021 7:55 PM

Like last week it feltlike the scores were getting higher and higher as the show went on.

If John and Johannes had danced that as the first performance of the night there's no way they'd have got 39. And if AJ and Kai had danced their Bodyguard song after J&J they'd have got higher.

Plan Your Showdance Now: AJ and Kai, John and Johannes, Rose and Giovanni, Rhys and Nancy

Anything Is Possible (In A World With Covid): Adam & Katya, Tom & Amy, Robert & Dianne, Ugo & Oti

Sorry but no: Sara and AljaĆŸ, Gordon Ramsey's daughter and Nikita, Emma Thompson's husband and Karen, Katie & Gorka, Dan & Nadiya, Judi & Graziano

by Anonymousreply 136October 9, 2021 8:47 PM

R133, agreed. I'm liking Kai more and more. His face says aging frat boy to me (whatever the UK equivalent would be), but his dancing, his overall affect and the fact that he danced that with Johannes have changed my mind.

by Anonymousreply 137October 10, 2021 6:06 PM

Craig was spot on with his comments today. The other judges overmarking everyone for average performances is so offputting.

Also offputting were John and Johannes with whatever they were trying to do so thank god for the female singer on I Knew You Were Waiting.

Adam Peaty and Fleetwood Mac are a great combo.

Voted twice for Big Judy and once for AJ and Kai, just in case.

by Anonymousreply 138October 16, 2021 8:01 PM

AJ is back?

by Anonymousreply 139October 16, 2021 8:02 PM

Is Dancing With the Stars in the US cowardly?

by Anonymousreply 140October 16, 2021 8:04 PM

No. It has a lez partnered with another woman.

by Anonymousreply 141October 16, 2021 8:06 PM

My god Adam Peaty gets my gusset wetter than an Olympic swimming final.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 16, 2021 8:38 PM

Adam is in the dog house with the Mrs after that almost kiss with Katya...the Strictly curse strikes again. Tily getting 9's for that basic paso was ridiculous. The overscoring is just too much and it needs to stop. John's bum in those trousers is fucking perfection 😍.

by Anonymousreply 143October 16, 2021 8:57 PM

Last night was pretty dull, with all the best ones doing lackluster (AJ) or strange (John) dances.

Greg Wise is a horrible dancer and it was obvious they were getting rid of him when they gave him the samba and then stuck him in the joke outfit.

by Anonymousreply 144October 17, 2021 6:11 AM

Who really thought Greg Wise was going far? That samba dance last night was awful!! Also, Shirley has it out for him because she can't stand Karen. Her comments towards Greg are very pointed which is actually meant for Karen. I have no idea why there is bad blood between the two, but it's been very obvious the last few series that they hate each other. Greg is just collateral damage.

by Anonymousreply 145October 17, 2021 2:45 PM

Shirley hates Karen because she taught Kevin when he was three or something, is the view on Strictly forums. Personally I think that, if it's true (doubtful), it's because Karen is an iffy dancer and terrible choreographer who hasn't ever got within sniffing distance of the final and only got 10s once in 10 years on the show, courtesy of a Couple's Choice street/hip hop number choreographed by someone else.

by Anonymousreply 146October 17, 2021 2:59 PM

Just watched this again several times on repeat.

Outstanding, from Johannes in heels to Karen with her cane. Neil camps it up a bit too much for my liking and Oti's tits looked like they were about to break free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 17, 2021 3:41 PM

I think this number hands down made Johannes a fan favourite...he was just amazing! He hasn't looked back since...he's definitely making it to the final with John.

by Anonymousreply 148October 17, 2021 4:40 PM

I'd forgotten about this as well. Just amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 17, 2021 5:02 PM

My mum is very pleased that Emma Thompson's husband and Kevin's ex wife have been voted off.

"He's very arrogant" she said.

by Anonymousreply 150October 17, 2021 6:56 PM

Just a Covid-19 update...Judy Love is out this week with Covid. I am assuming we will have an elimination tomorrow evening.

by Anonymousreply 151October 23, 2021 5:47 PM

Oh dear, Poor Judi. No doubt she's been vaccinated but she's still very high risk for complications with her weight.

by Anonymousreply 152October 23, 2021 5:59 PM

Seen a load of "racist voter" comments about Strictly tonight and the dreadful Guardian article about racist voting has been shared again - the article that erased Louis Smith from Strictly history and was published the day before the racist British public voted for Ore Aduba to win.

And then the following year the racist public only voted for Katya to win. And then the following year Kevin & Stacey won (only the second all British all white couple to win in 18 series) but then the racist public voted voted for Oti to win the last 2 years in a row.

FUCKING RACIST DANCING FANS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 24, 2021 7:42 PM

The right person was voted off tonight...even the best dancer/choreographer on the show couldn't make him happen. I predict Judi or Dan is going next week.

by Anonymousreply 154October 24, 2021 8:42 PM

No-one is voted off Strictly of course - people vote positively for the celeb dancers they prefer. Over its existence, Strictly has had exactly the right number of minority winners from the point of view of the UK population. I do believe the article, in that ethnic minority contestants are (slightly) more likely to end up in the dance-off, and certainly racism will be some part of the reason, but there are other factors as well. Ugo tonight was easily the worst dancer; Judi Love when she comes back next week will almost certainly be the worst dancer then and end up in the dance-off (though hopefully not against poor Rhys) - she was never not going to be an early boot. Part of the problem may even be over-representation, especially by drawing on niche areas like children's tv and radio DJs, which rarely do well , whatever their skin colour, as their fan-bases either don't vote or don't watch the show. This year a third of the celebs are from ethnic minorities (mostly black, despite the UK black population being considerably smaller than the Asian community), when one or two would be more representative and would help focus support, especially for really good dancers like Rhys and AJ. At least one all-diverse dance-off was inevitable this year, given the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 155October 24, 2021 8:58 PM

The Sun have declared it a RACE ROW!

Kimberley Walsh and Pasha were in the bottom 2 one week despite being joint second on the leader board and there being 10 couples in the competition. They made it through to the final and were beaten by Louis Smith and lovely Flavia, who never appeared in the bottom 2.

A year later Abbey Clancey and AljaĆŸ ended up in the bottom 2 with Rachel Riley and Pasha despite being joint second with 11 couples left. They went on to win and Rachel Riley and Pasha went on to have 2 lovely Jewish babies together. Natalie Gumede was one of the outstanding celebrities on Strictly. I can understand why people weren't rooting for her though, she was so good from the outset it wasn't like watching someone learning to dance, she just was a great dancer, whereas with Abbey Clancey and Susannah Reid and Sophie Ellis Bextor they got better week after week.

Then Simon Webbe and hussy Kristina found themselves in the bottom 2 a few times. It must have been galling seeing Anton dragging Andy Murray's mother around the dance floor and getting less votes than her. I think this was after Ben Cohen (the rugby player, not the Pink News midget) had left his wife for Kristina. But then eventual winner Caroline Flack and Pasha (again) found themselves in the bottom 2 despite being outstanding - Andy Murray's mother got more votes than their waltz and they ended up in the bottom 2. Caroline being bottom 2 shook the public up and next week Andy Murray's mother was thrown out with the trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 24, 2021 9:59 PM

Ugo deserved to go. Oti was doing pretty much all the work, he was barely dancing! Rhys and Nancy were definitely better.

My favourites are Rose & Giovanni and John & Johannes.

by Anonymousreply 157October 25, 2021 12:23 AM

r147, Is that jojanayey bloke one of the woofta people?

by Anonymousreply 158October 25, 2021 1:22 AM

The usual trolls on the forums and the tabloids run with it like the pricks they are. They will never explain why everyone loves Oti, JoJo, AJ, Ore etc. All crazy fans of AlexandraBurke who didn't quite win.

Morons, it is a vote for your favourite so people who go are just less popular and that doesn't mean bigoted hatred.

by Anonymousreply 159October 25, 2021 1:29 AM

Alexandra Burke received scathing coverage from Dan Wooton, whose boyfriend is Burke's ex-manager... Funny that.

by Anonymousreply 160October 25, 2021 1:33 AM

r157, John,AJ and Rose in our house. ( he hates AJ for being loud...never heard himself then).

by Anonymousreply 161October 25, 2021 1:34 AM

r159, there were past history with those two and it went back years to the cowell thing. and I do think he as an individual was racist to her. People calling viewers names coz she didn't win and only got to the semi or whatever is bolllocks, she was not good fun to watch even if she could dance and it's all subjective. Joe McFadden was the housewives choice, same as this year Rose probably is and Stacey fucking Dooley was.

by Anonymousreply 162October 25, 2021 1:46 AM

[Quote] she was not good fun to watch even if she could dance and it's all subjective.

Not convinced.

by Anonymousreply 163October 25, 2021 1:50 AM

r163, she got to the bloody end. We voted for the lovely Debbie McGee. We all vote for who we like.

by Anonymousreply 164October 25, 2021 1:55 AM

Poor Poor Alex, cheated in the final . Newly widowed Deb had hot Gio, everyone knew Gemma and Pasha were a thing,and dull Joe was from the BBC's most popular show. She failed to get support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 25, 2021 2:07 AM

Gemma had her knockers.

by Anonymousreply 166October 25, 2021 2:07 AM

r166,yes they helped her in the jungle too

by Anonymousreply 167October 25, 2021 2:09 AM

Gemma was rather ungainly, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 168October 25, 2021 2:10 AM

Judi will go out next week cos she is shite and the worst dancer left. I expect full racism meltdowns over that,while AJ does great and with a bit of luck Nancy and Rhys calm down a bit.

by Anonymousreply 169October 25, 2021 2:13 AM

r168, Jealous cos she gets Gorka every night?

by Anonymousreply 170October 25, 2021 2:15 AM

Gorka is about 5ft4, so no.

by Anonymousreply 171October 25, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote]Stacey fucking Dooley was.

Looking at that year, Ashley Roberts was in the bottom two 3 weeks in a row, despite being one of the highest scoring dancers in the history of the show. Viewers didn't warm to her because she'd been a trained dancer - they were scoring 9s in week 2 ffs. The same reason Faye from Steps didn't win that year, who would be in the top 10 of all time Strictly performers. People like to see a progression.

Stacey and Kevin winning was a surprise. That Joe boy (brother to Zoella whoever she is) was the favourite and I really did think an average man would beat more accomplished women AGAIN, but it was also Kevin's 4th final in a row and the public clearly liked his and Stacey's relationship as much as Kevin and Stacey liked their relationship. Stacey was clearly NOT a dancer but progressed impressively and was just very normal.

Aston from JLS was a strange one. The week before he and Jeanette Manrarararara left he'd scored 38 for their Paso Doble and finished second. Mollie King and AJ were in the bottom 2 with Simon Rimmer and Kevin's ex wife. The following week Aston and Jeanette were second from bottom on the leaderboard after their not very good waltz and found themselves in the bottom 2 with Mollie and AJ. Shirley had the casting vote and saved Mollie and AJ. Anton and Eammon Holmes' wife were still in the competition that year but like Judy Murray the public were shook and threw Eammon Holmes' wife out with the trash the following week.

by Anonymousreply 172October 25, 2021 7:52 AM

One of the guys dancing on Saturday was gorgeous! Anyone know who he is?

Couldn't tell if he was the celeb or professional dancer

by Anonymousreply 173October 25, 2021 8:02 AM

A description would help. Who was he dancing with?

by Anonymousreply 174October 25, 2021 8:07 AM

Joe was a social media star, so he couldn't rely on the older, TV only audience vote.

by Anonymousreply 175October 25, 2021 8:09 AM

He was gorgeous and dancing with another man R174 they both had little bits of material around their waists, as part of costume

by Anonymousreply 176October 25, 2021 8:28 AM

[quote]He was gorgeous and dancing with another man [R174] they both had little bits of material around their waists, as part of costume

If he was white then that's professional homosexual John Whaite.

If he was white then that's professional dancer Johannes Radebe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 25, 2021 8:31 AM

[quote]If he was white then that's professional dancer Johannes Radebe.

That should read "If he WASN'T white then it's Johannes"

by Anonymousreply 178October 25, 2021 8:36 AM

R278 thanks, that's him although he looks like a man now, not a little boy! His partner was also a looker.

by Anonymousreply 179October 25, 2021 8:54 AM

Rhys and Nancy were in the bottom because they're so annoying and because the core demo doesn't warm to hyper kids' TV hosts. I quite like Rhys but Nancy is dreadful. She looks like a lollipop.

AJ is gorgeous but that (Northern?) accent! Same with the chubby frau, hope she's gone soon.

by Anonymousreply 180October 25, 2021 5:28 PM

Rhys is too much Tigger, and Nancy had the job to train him and is failing, as he has a natural talent there.I might have had him as a favourite with another pro.

AJ is is a Lancashire lass,I like her but she never shuts up. Northern chubby frau Sara, is from the NE, I can't like her.Some kind of rich from selling crafting stuff, a hobby of glueing bits of paper together is all I can tell. Fat Judi is from London, I could hope she never returns. Chubby teen is nepotism Gordon Ramsey's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 181October 27, 2021 5:46 AM

Oh, so I didn't accidentally drop a quaalude, the opening Heroes & Villains opening dance really did just happen.

by Anonymousreply 182October 30, 2021 6:17 PM

Not surprised Adam Meaty was in the bottom two with that choreography and set up. And Katya wasn’t very dignified on Saturday’s show.

John and Johannes doing a rumba next week and AJ and Kai doing a Charleston.

Rhys was interviewed this morning talking about his faith - he and Dan prey together.

by Anonymousreply 183October 31, 2021 9:14 PM

[Quote] he and Dan prey together.

What age is their prey?

by Anonymousreply 184November 1, 2021 5:46 AM

Have Evangelical Dan and Rhys said anything about the boys?

They're far gone enough to refuse to dress up as werewolves or devils sheesh. But ha ha that one of them ended up as a lobster.

by Anonymousreply 185November 1, 2021 6:13 AM

“A television cookery show.” How dare they.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186November 1, 2021 6:25 AM

[quote]Have Evangelical Dan and Rhys said anything about the boys? They're far gone enough to refuse to dress up as werewolves or devils sheesh. But ha ha that one of them ended up as a lobster.

Where has the suggestion come from that they've refused to dance in certain costumes? If either were outraged by the presence of a same sex couple surely they'd have refused to take part?

There's been so much crap written about Dan Walker and his faith that multiple articles have been re-written or taken down because they've misrepresented or simply fabricated his views. Some have even questioned his ability to present a news programme because of his Christian faith. It's fascinating that the attacks come from the left but when the similar attacks have been made on Muslim journalists it's come from the very right wing, like Kelvin McKenzie's attacks on Fatima Manji.

Quite simply he's a very good broadcast journalist. I'm watching him and Sally Nugent interview Patrice Evra - they've talked about Evra's recent book where he disclosed being sexually abused as a child. the Luis SuĂĄrez racial abuse, his relationship with Alex Ferguson.

Dan Walker also criticised Piers Morgan over his obsession with Meghan Markle and his treatment of Alex Beresford. The ITV show tries desperately to get viewers by having inept presenters who create controversy and get trending on Twitter but it doesn't get the viewers in.

by Anonymousreply 187November 1, 2021 9:11 AM

Can't believe the lobsters weren't in the bottom two.

by Anonymousreply 188November 1, 2021 11:15 AM

I was following your train of thought up to the ITV comment, R187. For a non-Brit, what's that got to do with Dan? Does he work for ITV? Are they the ones who first started the rumor (or fact?) that Dan didn't want to dress as the devil or a demon or something? The lobster theme seems to back that up, dontcha think?

Even with Judi - who danced ONJ's Physical -- she allowed superimposed zombies on the screen with her and Graz - but nothing "Halloweeny" about Dan's. Or Rhys' War of the Worlds. It makes sense they might have asked for something less sinister, considering their beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 189November 1, 2021 6:29 PM

I'm just glad Dan got through because I like Nadija, and it was painful to see Judi in the bottom 2 every week.

Now I'd like to see the last of the chubby frau. It's a shame Aljaz' camp extravaganza didn't do the job.

by Anonymousreply 190November 1, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote]I was following your train of thought up to the ITV comment, [R187]. For a non-Brit, what's that got to do with Dan? Does he work for ITV? Are they the ones who first started the rumor (or fact?) that Dan didn't want to dress as the devil or a demon or something? The lobster theme seems to back that up, dontcha think?

Dan works for the BBC Breakfast show, a show which regularly trounces Good Morning Britain in the ratings. That's Good Morning Britain which Piers Morgan used to host with ex BBC Breakfast presenter Susanna Reid (a former Strictly finalist) - despite Piers' day rants and arguments with guests going viral and trending on Twitter the ratings have always been way below the BBC.

So whether ITV started a rumour about Dan refusing to "devil up" for Strictly, I doubt it. I can't imagine Dan or Rhys would have had a problem doing the Frozen dance that Rose did, the Frankenstein dance that Gordon Ramsey's daughter did, or that Game Of Thrones(?) thing that the Dragon's Den woman did.

I've just looked to see what other contestants did for Halloween night. Last year they didn't do a special but in 2019 Karim and Amy apparently danced a Paso to Smalltown Boy. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 191November 1, 2021 6:51 PM

Oh ok - thanks for the clarification. I didn't know who worked for which network.

I'm on the left (in the US though which is probably center right in the UK but anyway...) I don't have a problem with "cultural" associations with religion, a Muslim journalist or a Jewish reporter, whatever... but I must admit that people who take their religion very seriously give me the creeps - like there's something 'off' with their powers of reason, whether that's a devout Muslim or orthodox Jew or evangelical Christian, etc.

Bad experiences in life I guess (I'm in the Bible Belt USA and a fish out of water. Maybe we could swap places (assuming you're religious? you might love it here)

by Anonymousreply 192November 1, 2021 7:22 PM

* oops too many parentheses. I'm a Parenthesarian, you see.

by Anonymousreply 193November 1, 2021 7:23 PM

R191 here. Apparently Dan Walker did make a request to opt out of Halloween because of his beliefs - see his comments below.

I'm not religious in the slightest - in some respects I'd be considered aggressively secular - but I don't have a problem with people having a faith and a set of beliefs provide they aren't trying to influence the lives of others who don't have that faith.

I grew up with Mary Whitehouse taking offence at anything and wanting censorship to protect religious beliefs from being offended. It didn't happen thankfully but the same people who mock and ridicule Christian beliefs are often the first to be offended on behalf of Muslims. I think it's reasonable to be respectful of all faiths and take on beliefs as they come. Don't believe in abortion? Then don't have one! Don't believe in same sex marriage? Don't marry someone of the same sex!

Nothing I've seen from Dan Walker has suggested he wants to ban abortion or same sex marriage. If he does make those views public in an effort to change the law I'll think considerably less of him but not wanting to go overboard with Halloween doesn't outrage me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194November 1, 2021 7:52 PM

This article was written in 2016 when Dan Walker was announced as a new presenter on the BBC Breakfast Show.

There is absolutely no way this would have written about a Muslim. It's The Guardian so they might have written it about a Jew. There's a lot of media snobbery in it as well, and the correction is notable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195November 1, 2021 8:03 PM

Dan seems like a nice enough guy, but he does have a smug air about him. I expect he'd be one of those Christians who'd say "I believe gay sex is a sin, but I don't want to stop anyone doing it if they choose to".

by Anonymousreply 196November 1, 2021 10:54 PM

I'm just happy they managed to find a way to make dancing even gayer.

by Anonymousreply 197November 1, 2021 11:28 PM

Dan is breaking the golden rule surrounding religion in the UK. It should be private.

It's why Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons or any other Christian fundamental movements have never made serious headway, plus we're mostly Atheist (though not shouted from the rooftops either).

by Anonymousreply 198November 1, 2021 11:54 PM

[quote]OP: British Dancing (sic) show Strictly Come Dancing to feature an all male pairing (sic) for the first time

Certainly you mean "on stage."

It's the British. "All-male pairings" occur with the groom and best man at most weddings, with the father and godfather at most christenings, and we shan't even hazard the news of what happens at most funerals of men under 60.

by Anonymousreply 199November 1, 2021 11:59 PM

R199 WTF? Those people aren't on BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.

by Anonymousreply 200November 2, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote]Dan is breaking the golden rule surrounding religion in the UK. It should be private. It's why Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons or any other Christian fundamental movements have never made serious headway, plus we're mostly Atheist (though not shouted from the rooftops either).

There's an element of white supremacy from the progressive left about religious beliefs in the UK. For white folk, any display of faith is sneered at and mocked, and a belief in historic events is ridiculed. Put quite simply, white people should know better than believe in god.

But for non-white folk, progressives take a view that their beliefs must be accepted and not challenged. Want to starve yourself a month every year so you can't eat or drink during daylight hours and abstain from joyful things to feel closer to your god? That's amazing - here's some flapjacks for you to stuff your face when the sun goes down! Want to cover your face so you feel closer to your god? OMG you're a such a fierce feminist bitch hun lol! Protests and death threats against a teacher because he questioned aspects of faith? Well we need to be respectful about what we teach kids.

Anyway, he's good at his job, he seems like a nice man and was one of the few of Piers Morgan's peers to challenge his bullying behaviour. If anyone is offended that he dressed up as lobster instead of something more Halloweeny then paint yourself a placard and protest outside the BBC, and if anyone is offended that their Muslim colleague disappears every Friday lunchtime, have a word with Keith in HR.

by Anonymousreply 201November 2, 2021 9:39 AM

What a stunning piece of choreography by Johannes...so moving and beautiful! I also love that song by Sting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 6, 2021 8:25 PM

John and Johannes lost gay points for me by not dancing to the Sugacubes' far superior version. Mutya's vocals on it are sublime.

AJ and Kai will be getting my votes. She's amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 6, 2021 8:29 PM

BLAH! Obviously I meant SugaBABES and not Bjork's old band!

by Anonymousreply 204November 6, 2021 8:32 PM

They danced to the Craig David version?

by Anonymousreply 205November 6, 2021 10:07 PM

So John and Johannes are clearly sleeping together, right?

by Anonymousreply 206November 6, 2021 10:21 PM

Must be a long bed.

by Anonymousreply 207November 6, 2021 10:35 PM

Doesn't John have a boyfriend? They both have stated that nothing is happening between them romantically.

by Anonymousreply 208November 6, 2021 10:47 PM

John & Paul have been together for over 10 years. Paul must have the patience of a Saint as John seems to lurch from one mental health crisis to another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209November 6, 2021 11:22 PM

R201 Have you ever heard the phrase 'God Botherers', it's very common where I live and not just amongst left-wing younger people. My Gran used to say it and she's been dead since 1975.

Religion should be private, especially if you are in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 210November 7, 2021 3:35 AM

[quote]Religion should be private, especially if you are in the public eye.

Do you apply the same standards to Muslims? Do you thine Fatima Manji should be banned from wearing her headscarf when she reads the news on Channel 4?

by Anonymousreply 211November 7, 2021 7:02 PM

Goodbye Adam and your beautiful body and face.

by Anonymousreply 212November 7, 2021 7:04 PM

A person's choice of clothing is not public like preaching in the middle of the street is. It doesn't bother me when people read their Bible in a public square. It would bother me if they came up to me with their Bible in hand and tried preaching the "good news" to me.

by Anonymousreply 213November 7, 2021 7:07 PM

Are Dan Walker or Rhys Stephenson "preaching in the middle of the street" by talking about their religion when interviewed?

Fatima Manji talks openly about her religion, her headscarf and why she wears it. It's not a piece of clothing for her, it's a symbol of religious expression.

If you're offended by Christians who present tv programmes talking about their religion, surely you're offended about Muslims who present tv programmes taking about their religion, and expressing their faith through clothing. Or is it because criticising a Muslim's faith is racist and criticising a Christian's faith isn't racist, even when it's a black man like Rhys Stephenson?

by Anonymousreply 214November 7, 2021 7:18 PM

The problem is Dan Walker seems to talk about his faith in every interview. It comes across as quite 'preachy'

by Anonymousreply 215November 7, 2021 7:26 PM

I've not seen him interviewed very often but does Dan Walker offer up the subject of his religious beliefs, or do interviewers bring it up because being a Christian in the public eye is seen as newsworthy?

by Anonymousreply 216November 7, 2021 7:37 PM

I honestly think that It's a mixture of the two.

He isn't a former sportsman, just a professional sports journalist/commentator and his personal life isn't very interesting. So either he raises religion to give himself something to say or the interviewers become desperate for something to broadcast/write.

Either way I don't think he's helping his career by becoming so identified with his beliefs, In the end the BBC will abandon him to presenting 'Songs of Praise' on Sunday afternoons (could be problematic as he doesn't work on Sundays?), which is pretty much the end of the road for a UK TV presenter.

by Anonymousreply 217November 7, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote]Either way I don't think he's helping his career by becoming so identified with his beliefs, In the end the BBC will abandon him to presenting 'Songs of Praise' on Sunday afternoons (could be problematic as he doesn't work on Sundays?), which is pretty much the end of the road for a UK TV presenter.

Wishful thinking on your part.

You're really not that different from the frothing gammons who get angry about Fatima Manji's headscarf.

by Anonymousreply 218November 7, 2021 8:16 PM

A sports presenter who doesn't work on Sunday when 50 percent of sporting events take place is always going to limit his career.

An observant Jewish person who doesn't work on Saturday would encounter the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 219November 7, 2021 11:21 PM

I don't mind Dan being a religious freak, but I did wonder on Saturday whether it's a problem for him to support John/Johannes (assuming he's as extreme as some of you have made out). He was absent from the cheering pros section after they danced their rumba--because he'd danced just before and was getting his make-up refreshed or because he didn't want to applaud 2 men doing a sexy sex dance?

by Anonymousreply 220November 8, 2021 5:08 AM

R209 He should have stuck with his natural hair.

by Anonymousreply 221November 8, 2021 5:22 AM

[quote]A sports presenter who doesn't work on Sunday when 50 percent of sporting events take place is always going to limit his career.

Dan Walker started his career as a sports presenter, and his career wasn't limited in the slightest despite not working Sundays because the idea that 50% of sporting events take place on Sundays is batshit!!! There is sport throughout the week and predominantly on Saturdays, when he presented Football Focus for 12 years and Match Of The Day.

But now he's moved away from sport and hosts BBC's Breakfast Show, which is Monday to Friday. His career will never be limited because he's very good at what he does and people like him.

If/when he chooses to do something different from BBC Breakfast he'll have no shortage of options.

That will be distressing for you to hear. I hope there's a helpline you can call to support you with this.

by Anonymousreply 222November 8, 2021 7:43 AM

Who knew Dan Walker would be so divisive? All these years on watching him on BBC breakfast I had no clue of his religious affiliation. He's a benign presenter and he has a good heart. I loved his story on helping a WW2 soldier getting a flyover a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 223November 9, 2021 3:42 AM

Apparently the Olympic swimmer's mom has been lashing out on Twitter about his elimination. Proper trashy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 224November 9, 2021 5:14 AM

My interest in this has dropped a bit now Adam Peaty and his arse have left the show.

Rose and Giovanni were excellent as usual but AJ and Kai's paso was really poor. The execution was good but the dance just didn't gel.

There was a section of Johannes and John's samba where they looked totally out of sync but the judges were happy.

Good to see Karen Clifton bothering to show up for the opening dances in a variety of wigs.

by Anonymousreply 225November 14, 2021 6:45 PM

She's not Karen Clifton anymore! As a single proud independent woman she's reverted to , well, her first husband's surname.

by Anonymousreply 226November 14, 2021 9:12 PM

AJ never should have had to run backwards in such high heels during her paso TWICE!

I don't think Kai went backwards at all, when HE's the one who should have.

I'd get all over his ass (would I be so lucky ahemm) IF I didn't suspect producer manipulation. The dance was not designed right -- AJ could have done it, but not with all that sprinting backwards and such. It should have been slower, more of a showcase production for HER, and not the busy mess it was, with her in those stupid billowy sleeves. And the music was all wrong...

No one can convince me it wasn't a producer-driven stitch up. I refuse to believe Kai got it that wrong - he's so good at teaching details. I've seen his work on the Irish show and I don't remember such a mis-step as this with his 4 or 5 partners there, most of whom made it to the final.

by Anonymousreply 227November 14, 2021 11:01 PM

Oh and I thought the pros showed up early and filmed all the pro-dances before the series even started, explaining Karen's different hair.

I'm proud of Strictly for keeping Karen 10 years - I figured they'd ditch her as soon as she and Kevin broke up, and she's getting up there in age for a pro. What I really wish is they'd put her in the hosting job on It Takes Two. She's far smarter and more quick-witted and less fake than Janette Manrara, whose dress-sense may be the worst I've ever seen ai yai yai!

by Anonymousreply 228November 14, 2021 11:12 PM

Karen and Janette fascinate me--what a career they've made for themselves in the UK; in the US they'd have gotten nowhere. Janette is a pain on ITT and her poor dress sense is baffling. She's so tiny, her dresses are often cut down to her navel and still no sign of any cleavage. Add to that the ridiculous changing hairstyles (she needs to find one that works for her rather homely face and stick with it).

by Anonymousreply 229November 15, 2021 6:05 AM

Janette is dressing the way the producers of ITT want her too. The idea she can do as she likes is silly. She dresses and behaves quite differently when she presents the Morning Live show, as she has done often. If it was Karen she would likely be dressed much the same. I'm not sure I'd go with the idea Karen is smarter and quicker-witted - I've never seen much evidence for this in her appearances. She has ended up as the female Anton, guiding duffers through their time and barely getting anywhere near a final.

by Anonymousreply 230November 15, 2021 9:03 AM

I've never seen the Morning Live show so don't know how Janette dresses there, but since Zoe dressed quite nicely (like the elder ladette she is) when she presented ITT, I assumed Janette's Southern pageant-y, prom-y dresses are her choice.

Karen I just find dull.

by Anonymousreply 231November 15, 2021 5:59 PM

Didn't they do this on Australian DWTS years ago?

by Anonymousreply 232November 15, 2021 6:29 PM

Yes R232 - see Courtney Act at the link. It was 2019 and Courtney's a drag queen who danced with Joshua Keefe and they came fourth on the Australian Dancing with the Stars.

I think Joshua was in some group dances last year on Strictly but I haven't noticed him this year (may have missed him - it's hard for me to id all the pros in those quick numbers). I think he has (or had) gray hair, which was how I used to pick him out of the numbers.

As an aside, DWTS-US and Strictly's ex-pro Tristan MacManus was a judge the season Courtney Act competed. Also Sharna Burgess from the US show and Craig Revel-Horwood from Strictly.

by Anonymousreply 233November 16, 2021 1:01 AM

* forgot the link but it's just Wikipedia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234November 16, 2021 1:02 AM

* well shit, they came second - not fourth.

Sorry for all these incorrect comings.

by Anonymousreply 235November 16, 2021 1:03 AM

Tristan shirtless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236November 16, 2021 1:04 AM

I was there! A guilty pleasure - a DWTS themed cruise on Holland America in 2014.

Anyway, did you know Tristan's had two heart attacks? One before he was on DWTS (so about 26 years old) and another one a couple years ago when he was 37? Apparently was born with some kind of weird birth defect where the arteries are not in the correct place around his heart. His grandfather had it and died because of it at age 36.

by Anonymousreply 237November 16, 2021 1:08 AM

Here's an article about Tristan's heart condition, myopericarditis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238November 16, 2021 1:11 AM

Musicals week looks like a bad week for Gordon Ramsey's daughter and La Femme Nikita. They're doing a couples choice to a song from Matilda hardly anyone will have heard of.

John and Johannes are going full Mary! with Chim Chim Cher-ee and AJ and Kai are doing a waltz to Edelweiss. Rose and Giovanni are doing a song from Frozen (again?) and Dan and Nadiya are doing Good Morning from Singing' In The Rain - all playing to their strengths.

Rhys and Nancy will be extra caffeinated for a jive to Footloose and Tom and Amy are doing On My Own from Les Mis, which Tom's sister sung on stage.

by Anonymousreply 239November 16, 2021 4:49 PM

Love Nikita. Comment about him by Monkseal/Chris Rubery on Twitter: Thought he would be like Artem, or worse, AJ Pritchard. But no, he's Pasha.

A big sweetheart. Who looks small but that's because Tilly Ramsey is like 5'10" or so.

by Anonymousreply 240November 16, 2021 11:40 PM

Having been irritated by the constant references to Gordon Ramsey's daughter's father, the tv chef Gordon Ramsey, I became increasingly irritated by the constant references to Tom McFly's sister. The way he talked about her you might have expected her to be in a coma. The 40 for Ramsey and Nikita was extortionate.

The lighting wasn't very kind to Cynthia Erivo - the glint from the nose ring gave her a look of Voldemort. A shame they couldn't have got Kevin Clifton or his sister instead.

Dan Walker was actually enjoyable to watch this week. I didn't cringe once for a change.

I'll be content with Rose and Giovanni winning, or AJ and Kai.

by Anonymousreply 241November 21, 2021 7:45 PM

Well both Kevin and his sister were performing live in actual musicals on Saturday evening, so wouldn't have been available.

by Anonymousreply 242November 21, 2021 9:18 PM

If Dan doesn't go this week even I'll start believing it's a fix, and I never buy into the conspiracy theories surrounding these types of shows.

Rose or AJ should win anyway.

by Anonymousreply 243November 25, 2021 7:15 PM

Maybe it's just me but I think Desperado is a great song for Dan's rumba. My guess is his viewer vote is so high, they're just going with it - at least a while longer.

Think we'll lose miss undeserved-40-of-the-week Tilly or the other multiple dance-offer Rhys.

John was apparently bottom 3 but think the judges will go mad for his Argentine Tango - then maybe drop him like lead.

And I think Rose probably has twice AJ's vote - she's IT, barring any health issues cropping up. But the final 3 - Rose, AJ and ??? John or Dan?

by Anonymousreply 244November 25, 2021 7:21 PM

I'd be surprised if the final isn't Rose, AJ and John.

Dan needs to go. He's by far the worst left and his cringey dad dancing is embarrassing. Also, instead of saying something like "I know I'm not very good at dancing, but it's not my fault people are voting for me!" and laughing along with it, he's been weirdly defensive and quite smarmy. Not to mention his long speeches, one of which had a dig for the so-called 'trained' celebrities (i.e. those who may have danced before). I used to quite like him on BBC Breakfast, but Strictly has shown him to be a bit of a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 245November 25, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote]If Dan doesn't go this week even I'll start believing it's a fix, and I never buy into the conspiracy theories surrounding these types of shows.

The tied votes always help the dancers with the lowest scores, and Dan was helped by two lots of two couples getting tied votes, so Dan got 3 points to add to the public vote rather than 1. It's fairly easy to work out who is getting the public vote, as this example shows.

As far as the fix goes I'm amazed by Gordon Ramsey's daughter getting 40 and I smell a rat there too.

Going into Saturday there are 6 couples with only 2 having been in a dance off. The prospect of a Rhys/Gordon Ramsey's daughter dance off is very likely.

AJ and Kai are doing a couple's choice which will be incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246November 25, 2021 7:39 PM

But the big Strictly news is that DAME MOIRA STUART is doing Christmas Strictly with none other than Aljaz Manrararara.

by Anonymousreply 247November 25, 2021 7:41 PM

That's interesting, R245. I wonder if lots of people have gone off Dan due to Strictly? I'm in the US and just watch the dances, not the other parts of the show, so I wasn't aware of just how bad that impromptu shady speech was.

In any case, I do love Nadiya. What a beauty (and sweetheart). So I'm glad she's had a good run - but Dan winning would be a travesty. Or even in the final, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 248November 25, 2021 7:51 PM

Giving Dan a rumba is probably their way of helping him on his way. His vote will have to be really strong to keep out of the bottom two. But I guess Rhys and Tilly don't have much support, so maybe he'll survive it.

by Anonymousreply 249November 26, 2021 5:56 AM

Is the consensus on Aljaz and Janette that they are in a lavender marriage?

He seems so gay, and I could believe she is too. But I would've thought they'd be open about it rather than marry.

Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 250November 27, 2021 12:24 AM

I think it may be a cultural thing. He's unusually cheerful, especially for cynical Britain.

by Anonymousreply 251November 27, 2021 12:27 AM

Giovanni Pernice and Neil Jones are pretty much laughed at when they bring out new 'Beards' in the UK.

Everyone knows and doesn't care, but they make themselves appear like clowns on a regular basis with 'the girlfriends'.

by Anonymousreply 252November 27, 2021 12:35 AM

I don't believe for one second that Aljaz is straight...that marriage is ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 253November 27, 2021 3:11 AM

This series has made me wonder about Aljaz, too, but why would he put so much effort into appearing straight? His stories about getting into dance always revolve around wanting to be around girls, he and Janette had a long distance relationship before either of them were associated with Strictly, he loves playing Fifa. I think he's just a more effeminate straight man, which would explain why he went for such a homely (manly) woman. And a lot of the campiness comes from being in the ballroom dance world his whole life.

by Anonymousreply 254November 27, 2021 5:30 AM

[quote]Is the consensus on Aljaz and Janette that they are in a lavender marriage? He seems so gay, and I could believe she is too. But I would've thought they'd be open about it rather than marry. Any thoughts?

There's a song in the musical version of Legally Blonde you need to listen to which covers this dilemma.

I have a friend who is convinced that Pasha is gay, BECAUSE LOOK AT HIM, and that his relationship with Rachel Riley, and their TWO BABIES, are some sort of publicity stunt.

It's more to do with ridiculous beliefs about masculinity and sexuality - it's the whole JOHN AND JOHANNES ARE CLEARLY BOTH BOTTOMS thing.

by Anonymousreply 255November 27, 2021 8:35 AM

I think they come from conservative cultures, so they go along to get along. Once you commit to ballroom dance as a boy you're getting a lot of shit from your mates, so they have to play up their masculinity to defend themselves.

by Anonymousreply 256November 27, 2021 8:40 AM

The Legally Blonde song, from 2:50. I saw it with Duncan James in the "hey don't look at me" part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257November 27, 2021 8:42 AM

I don't think Aljaz is gay, but I think Neil is. Didn't that comedian who competed a couple of years ago basically out Neil at one of his shows?

by Anonymousreply 258November 27, 2021 11:25 AM

No, the comedian who had the kiss with Neil's then wife later did a comedy set on the whole media monstering he got, part of which was the media suggesting Neil was gay (which happened). He didn't claim Neil was gay at all - but the media ran with the idea he had said this, instead of him making the point that they had,, because of course they would. (None of this means Neil isn't gay, though.)

by Anonymousreply 259November 27, 2021 11:48 AM

I agree about Neil, though not sure about Giovanni. He might just be Italian.

by Anonymousreply 260November 27, 2021 4:57 PM

Well that Argentine tango was worth waiting for. Gorgeous.

Tilly and Dan in the bottom 2 is appropriate. Hopefully Rhys and his tears will make him safe this week.

by Anonymousreply 261November 27, 2021 7:05 PM

Full link to the Argentine tango with John and JoJo...beautiful dance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262November 27, 2021 7:27 PM

Rhys overdid it with tears...🙄

by Anonymousreply 263November 27, 2021 7:41 PM

Happy Craig was back to serve some cunty realness to all the bullshit overscoring and cheap sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 264November 27, 2021 7:45 PM

That is the biggest problem with the show is the overscoring and giving out 10's willy nilly. Tilly got a 40 last week for her dance...it was fine, but it wasn't worth a perfect score.

by Anonymousreply 265November 27, 2021 7:54 PM

Johannes is openly gay. And AJ Pritchard pinged to high heaven. I've never assumed Pasha or Alijah were gay.

by Anonymousreply 266November 27, 2021 9:28 PM

Here we go again with Giovanni and his new beard contract.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267November 28, 2021 2:08 AM

Pah-shah.

by Anonymousreply 268November 28, 2021 2:42 AM

Well, Karen and Luba's "routine" to the Years & Years song felt rather impromptu.

by Anonymousreply 269November 28, 2021 6:38 PM

r252 Gay rumours about Giovanni?

r239 La Femme Nikita-I thought i was the only one who thought he might be gay! You sound pretty convinced that he is?!

by Anonymousreply 270November 28, 2021 10:50 PM

Giovanni wheels out obvious reality TV beards on a regular basis, Ashley Roberts, Maura Higgins and the current Verity Bowditch are fairly obvious (they have really short contracts)

If it was 20 years ago he'd be 'dating' Geri Halliwell, who became so notorious for her bearding that even closeted guys wouldn't be seen with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271November 28, 2021 11:05 PM

r271 What about the girl from coronation Street he dated?

by Anonymousreply 272November 28, 2021 11:11 PM

They're all very short lived 'romances', he must have the attention span of a goldfish if any of them are real?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273November 28, 2021 11:34 PM

r273 No not her but Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 274November 28, 2021 11:35 PM

The relationship with Georgia May Foote lasted 6 months, probably because she lives 210 miles away from him in Bury/Radcliffe (about a 4/5 hour journey by car in the UK, faster by train).

He never dates non-famous people, it's very strange?

by Anonymousreply 275November 28, 2021 11:53 PM

r275 But is he wealthy enough to pay for a beard for months?

by Anonymousreply 276November 29, 2021 12:06 AM

They are pretty low-rent beards, could be mutually beneficial in terms of publicity.

by Anonymousreply 277November 29, 2021 12:10 AM

I think some of you just want to fuck Gio.

by Anonymousreply 278November 29, 2021 12:12 AM

r277 You could be right! Any thoughts on Nikita?

by Anonymousreply 279November 29, 2021 12:13 AM

Nikita seems to have a fairly low profile girlfriend Nicole Wirt who he's been with for about 5 years, the show have been playing a Tilly romance but it seems to be a fabrication.

His Type 1 diabetes was revealed during a costume glitch on the results show when his shirt came off revealing a monitor, though he'd spoken about it previously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280November 29, 2021 12:26 AM

r280 So you dont buy the speculation hinted at on here he is gay eg La Femme Nikita?

by Anonymousreply 281November 29, 2021 12:28 AM

Strictly has had lots of openly gay professional dancers (which is why I don't get Giovanni), the German girlfriend either has the best beard contract ever or they are really together?

by Anonymousreply 282November 29, 2021 12:34 AM

It's convenient for a gay man to have a girlfriend who needs to be abroad.

by Anonymousreply 283November 29, 2021 12:36 AM

r283 Good point!

r282 It really is difficult to tell it seems in the case of Nikita !

by Anonymousreply 284November 29, 2021 12:40 AM

I quite like AJ & Nancy, but at this point it's getting silly that the judges keep saving them. If they've been in the bottom two this many times, how can they win?

by Anonymousreply 285November 29, 2021 12:47 AM

R284 I'd guess that Johannes (partnered with John) will earn more in the next 12 months than any other Strictly Pro dancer.

It adds to his appeal to advertisers/sponsors/chat shows here in the UK, If Nikita is gay he's missed a trick sticking with the German frau.

by Anonymousreply 286November 29, 2021 12:55 AM

R285 Nancy is with Rhys, AJ is with Kai.

Rhys and Dan will both go in the next 2 weeks, AJ will make the final.

by Anonymousreply 287November 29, 2021 1:01 AM

Nah, Johannes will stay niche.

by Anonymousreply 288November 29, 2021 1:14 AM

R285 - oops, I meant Rhys and Nancy! Don't know why I typed AJ.

by Anonymousreply 289November 29, 2021 1:40 AM

[quote] So you dont buy the speculation hinted at on here he is gay eg La Femme Nikita?

I didn’t intend to speculate about Nikita being gay when I referred to him with the name of a classic French movie, later remade into a poor action thriller with the long forgotten Bridget Fonda.

I loved his dance off - he knew he and Tilly were going to be kicked off so he ripped off his shirt and went for it. Loved seeing Rhys dancing along behind them.

Looking forward to seeing Nikita in future series. He got so much potential.

by Anonymousreply 290November 29, 2021 6:16 AM

r290 Yes I think the show bosses would be foolish not to sign him for another series. Oh my apologies I couldn't at first glance see any other interpretation for the La Femme label for Nikita 🙈

by Anonymousreply 291November 29, 2021 8:39 AM

Rhys's reaction to the end of Nikita and Gordon Ramsey's daughter's dance off was amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292November 29, 2021 8:46 AM

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

So pleased for Rhys and Nancy and then Rose and Giovanni for pulling off that jump.

Johannes managed to get dropped in the most fabulous way and AJ reached for the moon but only got as far as far as Leigh Delamere.

Rhys getting joint top doesn't protect him from being in the dance off - AJ is almost certainly to be in it.

But hopefully the public will decide it's time for Dan to go and AJ can up her game and see him off.

by Anonymousreply 293December 4, 2021 7:05 PM

NANET NACKSON!

by Anonymousreply 294December 5, 2021 6:30 PM

AJ finally danced off that stick-insect dad dancer Dan. And like Bruno, I say that with love (even though apparently he's an evangelical who won't work on Sundays yuckkk - thought that was just our American problem.)

Beautiful gay boys were so sweet - talking about what a big bloke Johannes is and John managed to hoist him up to his shoulders anyway (though then dropping him like a thud - that was hilarious!) Then Johannes elegantly styled out of the plop, unlike AJ with her similar nightmare lift.

New boy Nikita is gorgeous! New boy Kai isn't - but oddly sexy anyway. And I don't know what to think of new Chinese girl Nancy. She seems a bit dopey but early days... and she's carried gangly hyperactive Rhys to the semi-finals despite two or three bottom two's so there's that.

Here's our boy/boy couple dancing to We Are Family and the big plop to the floor at the bottom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295December 6, 2021 5:28 PM

They were silly to even attempt a lift.

by Anonymousreply 296December 6, 2021 5:33 PM

John and Johannes were on BBC Breakfast this morning being interviewed by Dan, and were gushing about how nice Dan is and how supportive he has been to everyone backstage on the show.

They're dancing to Adele's Hometown Glory on Saturday and it's celebration of LGBTQIA+ inclusion and celebration challenging ideas of masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 297December 6, 2021 5:59 PM

I posted this at R136.

[quote]Plan Your Showdance Now: AJ and Kai, John and Johannes, Rose and Giovanni, Rhys and Nancy

Just call me Psychic Sally!

Looking back at who else was on this series I'd completely forgotten about Emma Thompson's husband and Kevin's ex wife.

by Anonymousreply 298December 7, 2021 11:15 AM

AJ and Kai could win the show in any other year but Rose and Giovanni are just too good - their Argentinian tango was just AMAYZING.

Unless the unthinkable happens Rhys and Nancy will get the lowest number of votes and be voted off whoever they're up against.

John and Johannes' WE'RE GAYS WE ARE dance should have moved me but reminded me too much of Romy, Michele and Sandy Fink dancing to Time After Time.

Call me a bitter old queen but "there was no one like us on tv when I was growing up" is utter bullshit - Julian Clary came 3rd on Strictly 17 years ago, when John was 15. Sure he wasn't dancing with another bloke, but he's one of the most fabulous gay men who ever lived and was supported by the public week in week out, some 20 years into his career. 😬

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299December 11, 2021 7:39 PM

[Quote]Call me a bitter old queen but "there was no one like us on tv when I was growing up" is utter bullshit - Julian Clary came 3rd on Strictly 17 years ago, when John was 15. Sure he wasn't dancing with another bloke,

Then shut the fuck, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 300December 11, 2021 7:48 PM

Poor J&J had to jive to Coldplay, a band John has repeatedly said he hates. Why would they do make them do that? They've done this sort of thing before, of course, but in the semis?

by Anonymousreply 301December 11, 2021 8:09 PM

My guess is to slow down him down - they can't have him win over Rose. Not that I think he would, but they don't like taking chances.

With elderly people being the main ones who watch tv, they're careful - one series they got rid of two gay pros at the same time, Ian and Matthew, just to avoid... well, I don't know, walking a tightrope not to offend the old homophobes? They know times have changed but I bet they still think they have to walk that tightrope.

It's even more elderly-skewing (and conservative base skewing) in the US, so maybe they're ready for a m/m couple but I'd be surprised. Nobody cares about the women.

by Anonymousreply 302December 12, 2021 5:27 AM

[quote]With elderly people being the main ones who watch tv, they're careful - one series they got rid of two gay pros at the same time, Ian and Matthew, just to avoid... well, I don't know, walking a tightrope not to offend the old homophobes? They know times have changed but I bet they still think they have to walk that tightrope.

MARY!

You think it's some kind of homophobic conspiracy that Ian Waite (6 years on the show) and Matthew Cutler (5 years) weren't re-signed for the 8th series because they were GAY, when one of their replacements was Robin Windsor?!?! Previous winners Darren Bennett and Lilia Kopylova also didn't return for series 8 because there was a revamp of the entire show.

Most dancers make a choice to move on - Kevin and Aliona left after 7 years, Pasha after 8 years. Oti and Giovanni are in their 7th year.

by Anonymousreply 303December 12, 2021 6:56 AM

If they were ready to move on, why did they join the ill-fated "troupe" the very next year - a sort of consolation prize to being let go?

And Robin yammered on about a "girlfriend" the first year at least on Strictly.

by Anonymousreply 304December 12, 2021 6:58 AM

Julian and Erin's showdance was very understated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305December 12, 2021 7:32 AM

Now that Julian Morris is doing Hallmark movies, perhaps he'd consider a whirl on Strictly.

by Anonymousreply 306December 12, 2021 9:15 AM

[quote]Now that Julian Morris is doing Hallmark movies, perhaps he'd consider a whirl on Strictly.

Considering he's a total unknown in the UK I doubt they'd consider him.

The other (non soap) serious actors have all had at least one really well known role - Cherie Lunghi, Colin Salmon, Jimi Mistry, Mark Benton, Caroline Quentin etc

by Anonymousreply 307December 12, 2021 9:57 AM

What is Colin Salmon's well known role?

by Anonymousreply 308December 12, 2021 10:01 AM

[quote]What is Colin Salmon's well known role?

James Bond actor Colin Salmon is well known for his role in the James Bond films. They even had him tango to a James Bond theme, because he was in the James Bond films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309December 12, 2021 10:22 AM

Could you name the character without searching for the name?

by Anonymousreply 310December 12, 2021 10:49 AM

[quote] Could you name the character without searching for the name?

I can’t remember the names of any of the non stock characters from the Pierce Brosnan movies. Denise Richards was Dr Christmas something, named for a ‘Christmas only comes once a year’ type joke.

by Anonymousreply 311December 12, 2021 1:10 PM

But if he was in numerous Bond movies, wouldn't that make him a stock character?

by Anonymousreply 312December 12, 2021 1:11 PM

He wasn’t Bond, Moneypenny, M or Q. They’re the people I consider stock characters.

by Anonymousreply 313December 12, 2021 1:19 PM

I would suggest that Colin Salmon has less name value than Julian Morris.

by Anonymousreply 314December 12, 2021 1:22 PM

Colin Salmon has appeared in a lot of the highest rated British TV shows also, Prime Suspect, Soldier Soldier, Bad Girls all of which got 10+ million viewers.

He's pretty well known.

by Anonymousreply 315December 12, 2021 2:42 PM

Colin Salmon has "that guy from" recognisability even if he isn't a household name.

The only thing i remember Julian Morris in was the Orange Shirt thing and Oliver Jackson Cohen and Vanessa Redgrave were far more memorable.

by Anonymousreply 316December 12, 2021 5:19 PM

OMG I just did a little gasp of air when Jeanette Manrarararara made a stunning comeback for the Ed Sheeran song.

Gutted that AJ and Kai didn't get to do dance but they were an incredible couple.

Both showdances were excellent although the confetti swarm was distracting during J&J's dance.

Gave my online votes to Rose because she's been a more consistent dancer than John who is really beginning to grate with his self acceptance story arc.

Oh now we get to see Adam Peaty again!

by Anonymousreply 317December 18, 2021 7:45 PM

John & Johannes could have done a perfect pas de deux from Swan Lake and still not won. They will all have a big career boost from the show and make a ton of money.

This is still the dance of the season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318December 18, 2021 8:30 PM

That was a stunning dance. Btw if anyone's noticed a moderately attractive dancer in the group dances (he's in Johannes and Kai's Love Story) then he's called Jake Leigh and he's apparently in a relationship with someone called Kiel Payton.

Johannes is an amazing dancer and I hope he appreciates how much love for him there is. It'll be curious to see who he is paired with next year. Will it politically acceptable to pair him with a female celebrity? I'd love to see him with a girl who can really dance.

And I hope Kai and La Femme Nikita get celebrities with promise next year, they've been brilliant additions to the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319December 18, 2021 8:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!