Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MULHOLLAND DRIVE still holds up

Watched it yestarday, some 20 years after the first time , it's a masterpiece I couldn't believe how gorgeous Justin was, WTF has he done to his face ? Richard Green as the magician was hotter than the sun, I was too young to appreciate his performance then. DADDY! Ann Miller was great, the girls too, it's a fantastic movie. It's all a dream of course, but who's dreaming ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2021 1:13 PM

Well OP that scene (that some commenters feel is the finest in cinema) does nothing to entice me to see this film. I've seen Twin Peaks in all its forms. I've seen Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Wild at Heart - now that's a great film. This scene looks like a rehash of some signature Lynch themes but nothing different.

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2021 1:10 AM

The film is so odd and threatening. I can barely think of it

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2021 1:12 AM

Richard Green looks exactly like this =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2021 1:14 AM

It was nice seeing Justin Theroux at his hottest, but his character was completely useless. He added nothing to the story.

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2021 1:28 AM

R4 It's a movie about Hollywood, and he is "the director". Also, if you go with the idea that the first half is Naomi Watts delirium before her suicide, and in reality, her lover Camilla left her for Justin , he's pivotal to the story. I remember thinking that he was beautiful at the time, and he would go places. Didn't happen

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2021 1:36 AM

A masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2021 1:50 AM

You know that “Mulholland Drive” was the pilot for a “Twin Peaks” type TV series that didn’t get picked up. So originally everything in the first part of the movie was actually reality - the real world.

The “dream” and suicide premise were added later by Lynch to make the pilot a standalone feature film and transformed it into a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote] everything in the first part of the movie was actually reality

I wouldn't think so, because Watts character is so over the top silly and corny, it's completely exaggerated for a 30 yo woman to behave like a wide eyed goose like that, and there are many details that seem to indicate we're in a dream, including the fact that objects disappear, clothes come out of nowhere, and so on . I believe that the car crash happened, and I'm not sure that Diane/Rita actually survives. Even if she was shell shocked, considereing that her fiance's house is up Mulholland drive, would she go down the hill ? Still, If she really did survive the crash, I believe that she falls asleep in the bushes. The rest is a dream. Aunt Ruth died before Diane arrived in Hollywood. I need to watch it again to see the list of clues that Lynch gave at the time of the dvd release

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2021 5:47 PM

One of my very favorite films, OP.

Visually stunning and transfixed me the entire time.

Also, probably the only film I wish I could watch again for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2021 5:52 PM

Great soundtrack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2021 6:06 PM

wow, what a source, R8

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2021 6:37 PM

I love how they applaude Naomi at the end, she's so good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2021 10:44 PM

the original unaired pilot. The story is pretty much all here already. What's missing is just the ending, = the reality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2021 12:39 AM

No mention of Chad Everett? He’s so fucking hot in that film, I’ve drained my lizard more than a few times watching his scene.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2021 12:41 AM

He is.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2021 2:44 AM

This is the sad truth in Hollyweird and in life. Gotta have money.

"This is the girl".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2021 5:58 AM

“This is the girl” is what that producer guy says when he forces them to cast his weird looking wife in movies. La La something.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2021 6:05 AM

"Excellent choice, Adam."

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2021 7:12 AM

I find it so interesting that Naomi Watts and Kirsten Dunst (MELANCHOLIA) gave the two best performances of the 00s and neither was even nominated for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2021 7:51 AM

(Oops. Melancholia came out in 2011. But you get the idea.)

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2021 7:51 AM

I love that movie. I watched it at first when I was 15 or so and didn't get it. It has also quite disturbed me. Lynch perfectly captures the seedy underbelly of Hollywood and LA. I have never been there, but you know it has to be there. Walking in LA probably means walking on unmarked graves and corpses.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2021 8:49 AM

So this thread made me wanna rewatch it so bad!!

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2021 9:11 AM

It’s so complex

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2021 1:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!