Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Good Wedding Dresses

In response to the thread on horrible dresses...are there any good ones that DLers like? Famous or not? Movies? Television? Stage? Vivian Vance?

by Anonymousreply 224July 8, 2023 2:43 PM

Other than Sleeping Beauty's dress in the 1965 [italic]Childcraft[/italic] fairy tales volume, this is my favorite wedding dress of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2021 1:04 AM

Grace Kelly’s dress was one of the most popular of all time. Simple and classic is really the best, no matter the style. Trendy rarely looks good on most people, and the pictures look ridiculous later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2021 1:54 AM

Jackie Kennedy’s dress.

Joe Kennedy had some say in it, she wanted something more modern. But it suited her face and figure perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2021 2:08 AM

Princess Grace (Kelly) was my favorite wedding dress of all time. Kate Middleton's was based or inspired by Grace's dress. I prefer the more modest neckline of Grace's.

Kate's chest looked flat in her dress, which is fine. But that kind of construction just is unflattering to smaller-chested women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2021 2:17 AM

I realize I’ll get flamed for this, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Princess Caroline of Monaco’s first wedding dress. I like the modesty and think the eyelet is terribly sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2021 2:24 AM

R4, I agree, loved Princess Grace the most but also loved Kate's dress almost as much. Both were pure perfection.

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2021 2:52 AM

Here are some really good dresses. The wedding of one of the Monaco kids to Italian aristo Beatrice Borromeo. She wore several gowns, all gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2021 12:23 PM

I liked Crown Princess Mette Marit of Norway's wedding gown. She's big boned milkmaid of a woman, so less was more on her frame and she managed to pull it off quite nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2021 4:59 PM

That one is fabulous, R8! Never seen such elegant simplicity! Although I would say it needs a little more jewelry, some diamond earrings maybe.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2021 10:43 PM

^^^Maybe she did at the ceremony R9.

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2021 10:54 PM

I liked Caroline Kennedy's wedding dress, with the shamrocks on the bodice and sleeves. She looked pretty that day.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2021 11:06 PM

Kate Middleton. Simple and gorgeous. Kate wore the dress....the dress didn’t wear her.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2021 11:08 PM

I like the weddings they have in studio era Hollywood movies where they get married by a judge or at a registry office and the woman wears a plain dress or suit with a corsage.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2021 11:46 PM

I get tired of the “simple” approach. I like lace, embroidery and surface embellishment. I agree that Caroline Kennedy’s shamrocks were original and charming.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2021 12:27 AM

There were no good wedding dresses until Vera Wang touched the genre.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2021 12:48 AM

Definitely my favorite movie wedding dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2021 3:38 PM

What about Charlene of Monaco's dress? I think it's beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2021 11:03 PM

What about Charlene of Monaco's dress? I think it's beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2021 11:03 PM

Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress

Kate Middleton's wedding dress

Grace Kelly's wedding dress

Claudette Colbert's wedding dress in "It Happened One Night"

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2021 11:12 PM

A bit bulky but kind of unique and classic at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2021 6:45 PM

You have to have a perfect body to pull this off, but she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2021 6:50 PM

Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress was a horror. Nothing about it did her any favors.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2021 6:50 PM

I absolutely love Kate Winslet's first wedding dress. It was a bit similar in style to the dress she wore at the 1998 Oscars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2021 6:54 PM

Somewhat clearer shot of Kate's dress from her wedding to Jim Threapleton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2021 6:59 PM

Loulou de la Falaise. I love a risk taking bride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2021 7:05 PM

Bianca Jagger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote] Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress was a horror. Nothing about it did her any favors.

I don't think I've heard anywhere that it was a a "horror." It certainly wasn't. She didn't like it, though. She wanted something more modern, something from Paris. That was Jackie, a total snob. She later dismissively said the dress was made by "a colored woman." The "colored woman" was Ann Lowe, a very talented designer. She worked and her assistants worked their asses off; the dress and nine of the bridal party's dresses were ruined by a flood 10 days before the wedding and Lowe and the assistants reconstructed the gowns in eight days (the original time was eight weeks) to make sure they would be ready and received on time. Lowe should have had a career upswing after making Jackie Kennedy's dress, but in the end she lost money and received no credit for doing it, just airily referred to as "a colored woman." Lowe really got shafted.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2021 7:13 PM

Ann Lowe was very talented and treated poorly.

Jackie’s signature look, though, borrowed from French fashion, was very high-quality fabric in clean lines, almost austere. Lowe’s design was the opposite—intricate and packed with feminine details, likely hand-sewn. I’m very curious what Jackie would have chosen for her wedding if it had been up to her. Maybe some kind of sheath.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2021 7:18 PM

A London bride wore this gown & veil in 1865, courtesy of the Victoria & Albert museum, a modern day bride could easily wear this lovely gown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2021 7:26 PM

Princess Margaret, 1960, designed by Norman Hartnell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2021 8:13 PM

Princess Margaret's dress was a triumph in design... which is kinda surprising because Norman Hartnell dressed the Queen Mother to her great satisfaction... Serena Stanhope, who married PM's son, also wore something similar but it was a blend of satin and tulle and it didn't work... nice lines, though, just fabrics fighting one another... Princess Margaret's wedding gown is just terrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2021 11:07 PM

The only good thing about Serena's dress is that like her mother-in-law she didn't feel the need for a 20-foot long train. I dislike long trains as so few are well designed. I read somewhere that Armstrong-Jones asked Hartnell to keep the design of Margaret's dress very simple in order to highlight the Poltimore tiara and he more than succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2021 4:00 AM

A good wedding dress has either NO sleeves or long sleeves, and nothing in between. Caroline Kennedy's dress, with the baggy short sleeves, looked ghastly. Wedding dress perfection goes to Grace Kelly. She was fabulous... timeless.

by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2021 5:29 AM

This is everything today's bride wants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2021 8:09 PM

My collection is the best.

by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2021 8:12 PM

Another vote for Grace Kelly and Kate Middleton here.

by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2021 9:04 PM

I’ve never understood these bridal costumes for women.

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2021 9:09 PM

R12 = Liza on HSN

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2021 9:13 PM

R34 Please don't post photos of Lauren Boebert's wedding day on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2021 9:15 PM

I loved the fur-trimmed brocade-y one that Victoria Lockwood wore. It was almost medieval. I just loved that whole vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2021 9:23 PM

I think this one is very pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2021 9:24 PM

Kara Saun won the PR wedding dress challenge with this. The fitting isn't great and some might object to the low cut profile but this is what PR used to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2021 9:27 PM

My favorite wedding dress belongs to Stephanie, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (ie the crown princess of Luxembourg). She’s a really dumpy and unfashionable woman but she hit a home run when it counted most, on her wedding day. The dress was grand, elegant, overflowing with couture details, and most of all, flattering on her. It made me happy to see her get it right with a dress that just screamed quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2021 9:37 PM

What's your favorite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2021 9:49 PM

Jackie’s wedding dress looks like it was adorned with potholders.

by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2021 9:56 PM

Both of Lady Edith Crawley's gowns were nice.

by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2021 10:02 PM

Michèle Bennett marrying Baby Doc Duvalier. The dress was OK but the hairpiece was great! I think it was locally made in Haiti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2021 10:09 PM

Victoria Newman's wedding dress

by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2021 10:14 PM

The Lucy Wedding Dress, Dracula, by Eiko Ishioka

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 31, 2021 10:15 PM

I really like the modest bodices, like Princess Margaret's. If it's a church ceremony, your dress should reflect where you are ... in a church. It can still be fitted, just not tits out.

I also prefer more tailoring and more substance to the fabric. The dress at R41 has a lot of potential, but is heading into nightgown territory.

by Anonymousreply 50October 31, 2021 10:18 PM

Demetrios by Ilissa, [italic]Modern Bride[/italic] magazine, 1984

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2021 10:26 PM

Dorothy Zbornak's, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2021 10:39 PM

Kate’s made great strides with her clothes in recent years but her wedding gown juuuust missed the mark. The bust cups needed to be more rounded and I wish she’d had softer makeup. She’s ditched the harsh black eyeliner and looks much better now.

by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2021 10:45 PM

R53, she didn't need "bust cups." I think that dress just accentuated her flat chest. Nothing wrong with smaller chests, but dress accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2021 10:50 PM

I’ll get a ration of shit for this but my favorite recent gown is Bea’s Corona wedding dress. Part of the reason is that with her style record, it would have gone disastrously wrong but remaking the Queen’s evening dress was a PR coup, the peaches and cream milkmaid look suited her to a tee. The off white color was better with her coloring and red hair which she left down. All in all, a charming look.

Now Eugenie had all the time in the world but I thought her gown was too stiff and bulky. The best part was the tiara and that she didn’t have a veil.

by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2021 10:54 PM

She did have small tits to go the Wonder Woman route.

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2021 11:03 PM

"Kate’s made great strides with her clothes in recent years but her wedding gown juuuust missed the mark."

I agree, I've never liked that dress very much. The lace top didn't match the heavy silks of the skirt, a boat neck would have been more flattering than the too-sharp V-neck; the gown had many beautiful details but I don't think it worked as a whole.

I actually preferred Bea and Eugenie's gowns, and of those two I think I like Eugenie's more. It was simple, elegant, flattering, and everything about the design is an integrated whole. Just perfectly tailored heavy silk all the way, with no accessories or fussy details fighting the tiara for attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2021 11:06 PM

A veil on a bride is ridiculous--I'm glad they've gone out of fashion.

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2021 11:21 PM

I have mine purchased. One day in Mar-a-Lago, I will be wearing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 31, 2021 11:32 PM

Bea's dress should have had the straps removed, the sleeves should have been long and the straps repurposed on the cuffs. The neck should have been crew and the same organza used as for the sleeves. The original skirt should have been refashioned as an overlay atop anew skirt for the taller Beatrice, in the same organza, bringing the pieces together. A bit like the link.

There, I've fixed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 31, 2021 11:38 PM

I really liked Fergie’s. And her hair styled with it. She did the wedding right anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2021 12:00 AM

My daughter Gabriella wins, including in the groom category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2021 12:10 AM

Nope, R60, the dress Bea actually wore was much nicer than the sketch you posted. The dress she actually wore was sweet, lovely, flattering, uniquely vintage, and yours is very Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2021 12:25 AM

Grace Kelly's wedding dress was not "classic." It was mid-century Hollywood overdo of Monégasque pretensions.

A good wedding dress in a dress that fits the setting and mode of ceremony, with the preference the setting is not a church, mosque, temple or synagogue unless the couple are active members, and never a cathedral. Especially if it's your little state's cathedral and you're doing it all for tourism and recognition.

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2021 12:32 AM

^ Wrong. Bea's dress looked glued together in a rush.

by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2021 12:35 AM

I liked Bea’s dress a lot. And I loved the provenance and its repurposing in a time of austerity.

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2021 1:02 AM

^^ I think it was nice that she didn’t spend a million dollars on an ill-fitting gown from a couture designer etc. It was homey and make-do and sentimental, perfect for the times. And she looked darling in it.

by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2021 1:04 AM

"The Lucy Wedding Dress, Dracula, by Eiko Ishioka."

You must be kidding. That awful gigantic ruff. That thing on her head which didn't look like a bridal headdress at all. What WAS it? And what Victorian bride ever wore anything that looked that? That was just a wildly over the top costume from a wildly over the top version of Dracula.

by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2021 1:23 AM

Sabine Getty, unconventional, striking, chic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2021 1:33 AM

the flowers were great, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2021 1:42 AM

R70, I agree. I loved that photo, with Bea peeking out from behind the flowers.

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2021 2:09 AM

I like Ingrid Bergman's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2021 2:16 AM

Don’t shoot the messenger but Grace Adler’s Vera Wang was beautiful - and it’s probably the prettiest she ever looked.

by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2021 2:36 AM

Get a load of The Church Lady at r64...

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2021 2:46 AM

John Galliano for Kate Moss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2021 4:03 AM

Say what you will about Paris, but her wedding dress is a win in my book!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 12, 2021 5:10 PM

I liked Rose Leslie's wedding gown. She's a bit frail and it swallowed her a bit, but on a normal-sized woman it would have been perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 12, 2021 5:29 PM

Miranda Kerr's Dior gown, inspired by Grace Kelly's, was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 12, 2021 6:04 PM

Grace Kelly hands down.

Wedding dresses should have sleeves. The whole trend of sleeveless dresses was only popularized by the wedding-dress industry in order to save fabric.

by Anonymousreply 79November 12, 2021 6:20 PM

R76 I see KKartrashian just had to wear a trashy dress to throw some shade on the other guests and bride.

by Anonymousreply 80November 12, 2021 8:21 PM

What about the strapless wedding dressing craze? Why did that become popular? Because very few women look good in strapless dresses. It's especially awful when really overweight women wear them and they wear them a lot. All that fat spilling out of the dress...ugh.

by Anonymousreply 81November 12, 2021 8:37 PM

Princess Alexandra's granddaughter was perfection this fall in Phillipa Lepley and her granny's tiara. I had been hoping Bea or her sister would go the Lepley route. Bea's wedding had been bumped up several times because of the pandemic and she deserved a dress of her own for her patience and designed to fit her. Her sister's Peter Pilotto number looked unfinished and as if made out of a tablecloth although the fabric was a custom job and $$. Oh well their tiaras from Her Maj's vault and the flowers were stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 13, 2021 10:30 AM

And then there's this little number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 13, 2021 10:54 AM

R44 A strapless bridal gown on a middle-aged woman looks desperate. It's foolish, but that's her brand?

by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2021 11:55 AM

Why do all of the grooms in this thread have major gay face? R82 is yet another one...

by Anonymousreply 85November 13, 2021 3:16 PM

Lady Sarah Chatto

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 13, 2021 7:30 PM

I dislike a sleeveless wedding gown on anyone, whether young, old, fat, or model thin. A wedding dress should have *long* sleeves, never short. 3/4 sleeves are ok, but never short and never sleeveless.

by Anonymousreply 87November 13, 2021 7:51 PM

I’m glad I don’t have to pick out a wedding gown. I guess it all depends on the overall style of the wedding you’ve planned.

Personally I’d want something very simple. I should say, though, I’m from (really) a very good looking family… and when you’re used to going through life that way you realize early on you don’t have to overdo it. You just show up.

by Anonymousreply 88November 13, 2021 8:07 PM

^^ by “simple” I mean something like what Lauren Bacall’s wearing here, but long and cream/white. Almost no extraneous detail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 13, 2021 8:11 PM

Anything that doesn't require dry cleaning

by Anonymousreply 90November 13, 2021 8:45 PM

Did Liz ever wear any good wedding dresses?

If anyone's willing to do the research on that, be sure to get back to us within the month.

by Anonymousreply 91November 13, 2021 8:47 PM

Iman looked fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 92November 13, 2021 8:49 PM

Sorry R76, but Paris looked like a call girl who has managed to bag one of her wealthiest clients. The lace looks like paper flowers glued by a five-year-old and her hair was a mess. The dress she wore for the afterparty makes her look like a Vegas chorus girl, and the guests all look HORRENDOUS (just look at the hooker dresses that Kim Kardashian and the mother of the bride wore). The only truly pretty element in the entire wedding, were the lovely bridesmaids' cape dresses, which were delicate, demure and soft.

Miranda Kerr's dress was also hideous, R78. It looks like a cross between an unfinished caftan and a tablecloth, with random sprays of flowers sewn onto it for God knows what strange reason. Moreover, her headdress looks like it was made out of whipped cream... When they say that money cannot buy taste, they truly mean it. Tacky, pretentious and ugly do not a good combination at all. She clearly wanted to update the 1950s ball gown look, and ended up looking ridiculous.

The dress below is, in my opinion, very pretty. Traditional, rather conventional in structure but with a lovely detail of floral print and lace up top. All that it needs to be perfect is a detachable lace cape in order to make it more modest, but it's great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 13, 2021 8:50 PM

I really like the gown Maria wears in SoM.

by Anonymousreply 94November 13, 2021 8:53 PM

Edith's dresses were very nice. Mary's was a boring, shapeless mess.

by Anonymousreply 95November 13, 2021 9:05 PM

Raquel Welch in 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 13, 2021 10:23 PM

Someone asked about Liz Taylor above, and I hope to fuck she did better than this the next time around!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 14, 2021 12:39 AM

Here's the Taylor-Fortensky wedding dress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 14, 2021 3:27 AM

^^^ Yikes! Talk about tacky excess.

by Anonymousreply 99November 14, 2021 3:46 AM

Pam Anderson:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 14, 2021 3:50 AM

Taylor's wedding to Fortensky was a blow out freak show with Michael Jackson presiding. All that expense and hoopla over it...and she was marrying some clod she'd met during rehab. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 101November 14, 2021 6:12 AM

Every gay guy wants to wear the wedding dress he is posting. Shave before you wear it, ok?

by Anonymousreply 102November 14, 2021 8:17 AM

Why are all these dress white? None of these women are virgins. What color should harlots wear? Scarlet, I'm thinking.

by Anonymousreply 103November 14, 2021 8:20 AM

I agree with r60, particularly regarding the sleeves on Bea's gown. My first thought was, that gown absolutely does NOT support short puffy sleeves.

They could have left the straps on the shoulders, but added a fitted soft organza sleeve to at least the elbow. Then they could have used an underskirt/ petticoat of the same organza to lengthen the dress, if necessary. That would have made it a near-perfect, elegant-but-not-fussy wedding dress.

by Anonymousreply 104November 14, 2021 8:24 AM

Christ almighty these are dowdy as hell. You guys really hate to see a woman's upper half, huh?

by Anonymousreply 105November 14, 2021 8:33 AM

R78 I hate the seam going down the front of Miranda Kerr's wedding dress. I also don't like how her chest area looks thick and padded like she's a sewing mannequin.

by Anonymousreply 106November 14, 2021 8:55 AM

I think both Bea and Kate had perfect dresses for their weddings.

Kate’s was big, with exquisite lace and fairly glamorous without being tacky.

Bea’s was perfect for a country wedding, and perfectly suited her colouring. It was a fairly simple dress, given grandeur by the tiara which is most closely linked to The Queen herself. And her wedding photos were perfection, with a degree of informality which was really charming. I think the picture of The Queen and Prince Phillip smiling over at her will be remembered long after most oher images of recent roal weddings are long forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 107November 14, 2021 10:00 AM

Julie Andrews as Maria Avon Trapp in The Sound of Music.

Covers up every inch but accentuates the figure and the woman.

And the drama!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 14, 2021 11:41 AM

Ah, Maria Avon Trapp. The original Avon lady.

by Anonymousreply 109November 14, 2021 11:47 AM

Wedding gowns are very uncomfortable to wear. Stiff fabric or flimsy sheer stuff with no ease so it strains at the seams when you move. I think that’s why strapless stayed so popular for so long (once churches relented, before you had to have your shoulders covered). With a strapless, as long as it’s fitted right so you’re not hoicking it up every couple minutes, you are free to wave your arms about.

Yes, couturiers can design a sleeve with a full range of motion but we’re talking about the average bride. Actually, I wonder if today’s couturiers have that skill.

by Anonymousreply 110November 14, 2021 12:56 PM

You want to see some truly horrific dresses, Google 'Alfred Angelo Originals". Very big during the 60s and Very ugly. He was the poster child for over the top, over decorated nightmares

by Anonymousreply 111November 14, 2021 2:59 PM

R111 A number of them look just perfect for the pregnant bride!

by Anonymousreply 112November 14, 2021 3:10 PM

Not a fan of Oscar de la Renta's overly frilly lacy bridal designs, but here the simple design seems to offset the busy fabric for the Texas country wedding of Jenna Bush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 14, 2021 3:15 PM

I'm in the minority but I didn't think Grace Kelly's or Kate's gowns were anything special. MEH, to both.

I did like the SJP Westwood gown in SATC. Poofy and princess-y enough and the fabric looked to die for. Rich and sumptuous. Too bad she didn't fill out the bodice. Another gown I saw recently that I liked was Shiv's in Succession. Very elegant.

by Anonymousreply 114November 14, 2021 4:49 PM

I’ve watched a lot of seasons of “Say Yes to the Dress” and it’s surprising that only about 4 of them struck me as perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 14, 2021 5:14 PM

Say yes to the dress features a lot of overweight chicks. Hard to look good in anything that fat.

by Anonymousreply 116November 14, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote] What about the strapless wedding dressing craze? Why did that become popular?

Strapless wedding dresses:

1. Saves money (for seller) on fabric.

2. Requires less tailoring skill because you're not fitting & sewing shoulders, armholes, etc.

by Anonymousreply 117November 14, 2021 5:22 PM

Here's Princess Beatrice, getting married in one of QE's dresses (sleeves added).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 14, 2021 5:25 PM

I liked the bottom half of Gwen Stefani's first wedding dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 14, 2021 5:26 PM

R114 here is a link. Fabric to swoon over indeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 14, 2021 5:26 PM

Do you think that is silk shantung R120?

by Anonymousreply 121November 14, 2021 5:49 PM

R76 Her sister Nicky's was by far superior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 14, 2021 6:00 PM

R121 I know little about names of fabrics but here is the scrumptious description:

'The corset top was created in gold-backed ivory silk-satin duchess and the skirt from metres of ivory silk Radzimir taffeta, creating an exaggerated silhouette, nipped-in waist and a pointed sculptural bust.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 14, 2021 6:02 PM

That poor spawn of Fergie and Andrew. Both bug eyed with horse teeth.

by Anonymousreply 124November 14, 2021 6:16 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 14, 2021 6:25 PM

A wedding gown you can plant...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 14, 2021 6:27 PM

Very pretty dress for this particular bride:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 14, 2021 6:34 PM

[quote]R118 Here's Princess Beatrice, getting married in one of QE's dresses

Nothing can save her : (

by Anonymousreply 128November 14, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote]R116 Say yes to the dress features a lot of overweight chicks. Hard to look good in anything that fat.

they had a spin-off series for the overly-cake-loving brides called “Say Yes to the Dress: Big Bliss” which I couldn’t bring myself to watch. Too depressing.

The original show featured mostly in shape women, maybe because it showed off the clothes better.

by Anonymousreply 129November 14, 2021 6:40 PM

A true classic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130November 14, 2021 6:41 PM

I am usuall y against anything other than a traditional wedding dress but man, Bianca Jagger's was sublime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 14, 2021 6:43 PM

Beatrice's dress was an easy sell, because she was the one British princess who passed on the huge grandiose televised wedding, and went for the small, intimate, family ceremony. It seems to have been the most expensive small, intimate, family ceremony possible, these flowers alone probably cost somebody's years pay, but what the hell it was cheaper than Harry's bash.

And yes, that ivory suited Bea much better than bright white would have. What do we think of colored gowns? A lot of Asian brides wear red, as is appropriate for their backgrounds and families, but most of the colored gowns I've seen have been hideous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 14, 2021 6:44 PM

Go to any beauty spot in San Francisco on a weekend and you'll see bridal parties in full regalia being photographed, and a lot of the brides are wearing hideous schmatas like this, in bright colors.

Ghastly, most of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 14, 2021 6:45 PM

Can you shut up about that bug eyed bitch and her handmedown dress?

by Anonymousreply 134November 14, 2021 6:46 PM

^^ for r132, et al

by Anonymousreply 135November 14, 2021 6:47 PM

Maxima’s Valentino dress suited her perfectly. Regal, elegant and the perfect pairing of veil and dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 14, 2021 6:56 PM

You want something you can dance in...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 14, 2021 7:01 PM

The bride wore red...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 14, 2021 7:54 PM

One of the most gorgeous and unusual dresses I've seen lately was made by a little suburban seamstress who works out of her house. My mother used her and I take things to her for alterations because she is excellent. This woman started making cotillion and prom dresses and now has quite the little business. I was there one day and she had a dress on the dummy that was a pink/beige silk underslip covered with battenberg lace. The dress was simple and I guess what some would call mermaid but this was more skimming then the tight silhouette of those. The girl who was going to wear it must have had a great figure too and tiny. It was one of the prettiest, most elegant I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 139November 14, 2021 8:25 PM

30's glamour. Also, love this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 14, 2021 8:47 PM

R136 this is Valentino's best ever IMO. The unadorned heavy silk dress, except for discreet lace panels on each side that you only see when the dress is in movement, is not competing with the embroidered lace veil. It's also a great example of the elegance of three-quarter sleeves. A masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 14, 2021 9:14 PM

Mimsy's veil...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 14, 2021 9:23 PM

[quote] ease so it strains at the seams when you move. I think that’s why strapless stayed so popular for so long (once churches relented, before you had to have your shoulders covered).

Strapless was popular because large busts (ie, bigger than a b) are difficult to design, and as the average breast size is D, 99% of designers don’t know how to do it. They just use a strapless corset and drape fabric over it.

by Anonymousreply 143November 15, 2021 8:40 AM

Here are all the Taylor wedding dresses:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 15, 2021 10:09 AM

In a Playboy magazine interview, Terry Moore said Taylor’s first husband had an extraordinarily large penis. Long and “as thick as a beer can”

Liz was clearly not in her right mind to divorce such a rare jewel. Pearls before swine! She obviously needed a conservancy, like Britney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 15, 2021 5:44 PM

R145 Didn't her first hubby beat the shit out of her?

by Anonymousreply 146November 15, 2021 6:13 PM

Well, we know he beat the shit out of her pussy, anyway.

Ingrate!

by Anonymousreply 147November 15, 2021 6:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 15, 2021 6:27 PM

R133 There are a lot of Asian brides and grooms who are photographed in Central Park. But, they aren't real couples. Their photos will appear in ads in Asia for destination weddings and wedding gowns.

by Anonymousreply 149November 15, 2021 8:37 PM

R144 Great find. Helen Rose was a terrific designer and a great friend of our family. We loved hearing her many stories about the famous people she designed for. She was very unpretentious and sweet. She designed Liz Taylor's wedding dress and also Princess Grace's wedding dresses, the first and second ceremonies.

R145, I didn't know that about Conrad Hilton. But then I wasn't into reading Playboy mag.

by Anonymousreply 150November 15, 2021 9:50 PM

What was Grace's reasoning for going with Rose over Head, r150?

by Anonymousreply 151November 15, 2021 9:58 PM

Nicky Hilton beat Elizabeth on their wedding night.

by Anonymousreply 152November 15, 2021 10:02 PM

Good question R151, no idea. And oops I forgot it was NICKY Hilton. I think Conrad was his dad. Beer can. Wow. Wasn't Lizzie a virgin?

by Anonymousreply 153November 15, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote]R151 What was Grace's reasoning for going with Rose over Head

She probably just had a feeling for what each designer’s strengths were. Rose did Kelly’s last two pictures (one of which featured her playing a vintage princess) and created fancy, frothy dresses for the actress.

Since Kelly and Rose were making those two films together anyway at the time of the engagement, that might have made discussing the design more convenient, as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 15, 2021 11:16 PM

Oh, that's right, r154. I just remember that Edith wasn't happy about it.

by Anonymousreply 155November 15, 2021 11:19 PM

Kelly in another Helen Rose evening dress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 15, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote]R155 Oh, that's right. I just remember that Edith wasn't happy about it.

Head wasn’t happy about much. She often took credit for other people’s designs and was just pretty hard nosed in general. (I guess another way to put it was she was an expert businesswoman.)

by Anonymousreply 157November 15, 2021 11:25 PM

Edith Head didn't deserve all those Oscars she won. I think the Academy just kept giving her awards because she was just a familiar fixture in Hollywood. She always struck me as being an unpleasant woman, but some Hollywood stars loved her because she created (or helped create) memorable costumes for them. I think Barbara Stanwyck paid for Head's false teeth. Seems Head missing front teeth and Stanwyck kept nagging her to get it fixed, Finally she dragged Stanwyck to the dentist and paid for the work herself. It didn't do much good. Head was always very unattractive, but that seemed to make her have better rapport with the actresses she costumed. She posed no threat to them at all, looks-wise.

by Anonymousreply 158November 15, 2021 11:40 PM

Head was lez, and was very uncomfortable when the new generation of 1960s and 70s actresses started showing up for fittings without underwear.

I bet her little lezzie hands shook something fierce.

by Anonymousreply 159November 15, 2021 11:46 PM

Faye, we’re looking at YOU!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 15, 2021 11:49 PM

[quote] Head was lez, and was very uncomfortable when the new generation of 1960s and 70s actresses started showing up for fittings without underwear.

I don't know where you heard that but I don't think it's true. Head seemed contemptuous of lesbians. She said this of Claudette Colbert: "That woman was a bitch and a dyke to boot!"

by Anonymousreply 161November 16, 2021 12:48 AM

She had Resting Cane Face!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 16, 2021 4:57 AM

assaulting Carroll Baker onset

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 16, 2021 5:01 AM

I agree, R161...no way would a woman with actual fashion sense be a lesbian lol. To quote Cher...Horowitz or whatever.. "As If!!!"

by Anonymousreply 164November 16, 2021 5:03 AM

This is the most fashion forward wedding gown

This is what Harry Styles, Taylor Lautner, and the other fashionistas will be wearing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 16, 2021 12:20 PM

I like the "Barely There" wedding dress look

but I think it would look better with a seamed stocking

by Anonymousreply 166November 16, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote]Head was lez, and was very uncomfortable when the new generation of 1960s and 70s actresses started showing up for fittings without underwear.

It wasn't that I was uncomfortable...

they just caused me to ruin several pairs of good underwear

by Anonymousreply 167November 16, 2021 1:00 PM

For the thoroughly modern...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168November 16, 2021 6:31 PM

When I was in high school I thought this was the most beautiful gown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 16, 2021 10:07 PM

So Claudette Colbert was a lez-bean? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 170November 16, 2021 10:15 PM

Year, R169

That's perfect if you have no neck

by Anonymousreply 171November 16, 2021 10:54 PM

[quote]This is the most fashion forward wedding gown. This is what Harry Styles, Taylor Lautner, and the other fashionistas will be wearing

Nothing says, "I'm a virginal bride like a tight pink hole"

by Anonymousreply 172November 16, 2021 10:56 PM

Make sure it's subway appropriate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 16, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote] So Claudette Colbert was a lez-bean? I had no idea.

Supposedly she had an affair with Marlene Dietrich. But then everybody had an affair with Marlene Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 174November 17, 2021 12:03 AM

They were just having fun...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 17, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote]They were just having fun...

With their tongues in each other's twats

by Anonymousreply 176November 17, 2021 1:54 AM

Lucy Westerna’s wedding gown in Dracula is spectacular and has always been one of my favorite gowns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 17, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote] Lucy Westerna’s wedding gown in Dracula is spectacular and has always been one of my favorite gowns.

I hated it. It was grotesque. It was a horror movie after all, so I guess that was the reasoning behind the insane, over the top, ludicrously awful wedding costume. No Victorian bride ever wore anything that looked like THAT. The designer said the "Australian frilled lizard was my source of inspiration." A lizard inspired the dress? Well, I can certainly believe that.

by Anonymousreply 178November 17, 2021 3:17 AM

Hey, r178, it got her an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 179November 17, 2021 3:24 AM

An Empire waist, so suitable for...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 17, 2021 3:27 AM

…the beautiful reflection of my love’s affection?

by Anonymousreply 181November 17, 2021 3:33 AM

Edawardian inspired is where it's at...this one is just missing a slightly longer trai

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 17, 2021 3:45 AM

Something simple from Mackie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 17, 2021 3:58 AM

Ginger Rogers in the "wedding dream" sequence of "Lady in the Dark."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184November 17, 2021 4:02 AM

R184 "Wedding Nightmare" is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 185November 17, 2021 6:23 AM

That’s lovely r182. I’ve always liked that era, “tea dresses”.

by Anonymousreply 186November 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Making spectacles of themselves...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187November 17, 2021 4:44 PM

Julie Christie wears a very interesting gold pleated dress in HAMLET. If I were of a certain age and being married in a private setting, maybe I’d choose something sort of casually sensual like that.

The groom might have to have a mustache, though. Maybe a monocle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188November 17, 2021 5:43 PM

I love Fortuny...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 17, 2021 6:32 PM

Charles & Patricia Lester, who made the Julie Christie costume, also did some of the clothes for WINGS OF THE DOVE.

Their technique is different than Fortuny’s, which mysteriously held the tiny pleats forever. I think you have to send the garment back to them in Wales for cleaning and pleating touch up. But at least they can get the Fortuny effect in silk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190November 17, 2021 7:54 PM

Camilla in Anna Valentine and Philip Treacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191November 17, 2021 7:57 PM

Another of the Lesters’ costumes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 17, 2021 7:58 PM

[quote] it got her an Oscar.

Oh, the costumes were certainly spectacular creations. But accurate for the period? In many cases, no. And the wedding dress was a horror. No one could have looked good in it.

by Anonymousreply 193November 17, 2021 8:55 PM

[quote]But accurate for the period? In many cases, no.

They weren't meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 194November 17, 2021 9:06 PM

R97, that dress is from the movie, Father of the Bride, this is the dress she wore when she married Nicky Hilton, it was sold in 2013.

[quote]The wedding dress Elizabeth Taylor wore for the first of her eight marriages sold for 121,875 British pounds – or about $188,175 – at a London auction Wednesday, fetching more than twice the highest estimate for the gown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195November 17, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote] They weren't meant to be.

Which is one reason why 'Bram Stoker's Dracula" was such a silly movie; the costumes that were "frankly outrageous and are only tangentially related to the historical period."

by Anonymousreply 196November 17, 2021 9:55 PM

Whore Liz kept insisting on a lot of cleavage, and the designer had to talk her into a chiffon overlay above the cleavage.

Some sluts start young : (

by Anonymousreply 197November 17, 2021 9:56 PM

And, r196...she won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 198November 17, 2021 10:47 PM

I love the finished look of this gown with the dramatic lace cape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199November 17, 2021 10:57 PM

Not a "real" wedding but I always thought Katherine Ross looked lovely in her escapee dress in The Graduate. Classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 17, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] .she won the Oscar.

So what? It doesn't mean the wedding dress was a thing of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 201November 17, 2021 11:29 PM

Katharine Ross looked lovely in everything. That dress is tastefully drab.

by Anonymousreply 202November 17, 2021 11:32 PM

R201 The dress and woman who wore it are both gorgeous and the designer won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 203November 18, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote]So what? It doesn't mean the wedding dress was a thing of beauty.

Doesn't mean it was meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 204November 18, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote] The dress and woman who wore it are both gorgeous and the designer won an Oscar.

Without the enormous fake red hair and heavy make up Sadie Frost is ordinary. The dress is over the top grotesque. And a lot of Oscars are given to people who don't deserve them.

[quote] Doesn't mean it was meant to be.

It was meant to look ghastly? I guess that's one way to get attention, by making it as awful looking as possible. And the "voters" didn't understand anything except for the fact that the costumes in that Dracula movie were really big with tons of material and lots of frou frou and in such eye catching colors like blood red and pumpkin orange, woo, look at that, I guess I'll vote for that Dracula movie!

by Anonymousreply 205November 18, 2021 1:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 18, 2021 1:17 AM

The over-the-top aspect was a conscious choice, r205. We understand that you don't appreciate it, but the union professionals who voted for the award felt otherwise and, r205, their opinion is the one that matters.

by Anonymousreply 207November 18, 2021 1:27 AM

[quote] We understand that you don't appreciate it, but the union professionals who voted for the award felt otherwise and, [R205], their opinion is the one that matters.

Are these the same "union professionals" who voted "Crash" and "Dances With Wolves" and "Braveheart" as Best Picture? The same ones who gave Oscars to Gwyneth Paltrow, Roberto Benigni, Cuba Gooding Jr., Jennifer Hudson, Helen Hunt, Tatum O'Neal, Jennifer Lawrence, among others? And their opinion "is the one that matters?" You think every Oscar given out is well deserved? You are one dumb cluck.

by Anonymousreply 208November 18, 2021 1:39 AM

And you're the reason the word tedious was invented.

by Anonymousreply 209November 18, 2021 1:43 AM

[quote] And you're the reason the word tedious was invented.

Seems to me you're the tedious one: "The designer won the Oscar, won the Oscar, won the Oscar, won the Oscar...."

by Anonymousreply 210November 18, 2021 1:50 AM

Sharaff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211November 18, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote]Elizabeth Taylor in her 1961 Rolls Royce - just after she married Eddie Fisher, and she had it painted a custom "smoke green" to match the color of the dress she wore at their wedding, earning it the nickname Green Goddess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212November 25, 2021 3:21 AM

These sports ball people look great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 4, 2022 8:18 PM

Heiress Ivy Getty wearing a wedding dress made by Galliano, using pieces of broken mirror.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 30, 2022 5:54 AM

More Ivy Getty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215April 30, 2022 5:56 AM

I have always had a real fondness for the wedding styles of the 1920s.

Great classical silhouette but lots of latitude to be unique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 30, 2022 6:26 AM

Allison Williams in Oscar de la Renta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217April 30, 2022 6:50 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 7, 2023 3:46 PM

^^^ Not a bride but a great edgy look for a wedding guest. Cara Delevingne at Princess Eugenie's wedding. The androgynous look suits her perfectly. It's hard to imagine how she could have looked better. The only annoying thing is her hand tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 219July 7, 2023 3:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 7, 2023 5:36 PM

Seriously , Carolyn Bessette,s dress when she married RFK Jr. A masterpiece of a bias-cut design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 7, 2023 5:39 PM

r118 that dress has been ugly, in every form, for over half a century. I hope they give it a rest because it was one of many fashion misses on the Queen and Princess' part.

So many dresses from the 1950s to choose from and she chose that monstrosity!

by Anonymousreply 222July 7, 2023 6:05 PM

NOT this one.

Lauren Bacall wore a simple grey suit when she married Humphrey Bogart. But when she married Jason Robards she picked this queasy thing for some reason. I’m sure it was expensive, but that color combination makes my skin crawl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223July 8, 2023 12:15 AM

r221 I don't get what's so special about this dress. We've seen this style and cut countless times in the 90s. It's a beautiful color, but a very very simply dress any designer house could throw together. If you really think about it, this dress is more like a white bridesmaids dress, than special wedding gown.

She's skinny, young, blond, rich, and next to a hot Kennedy, with a top notch photographer, of course it's going to seem better than it is. But this is just a white bridesmaid dress.

by Anonymousreply 224July 8, 2023 2:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!