Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why wasn't Mommie Dearest taken more seriously?

The acting was top-notch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2021 1:59 PM

It should have won for Best Picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2021 1:08 PM

Faye's acting was too subtle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2021 1:10 PM

Too much swearing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2021 1:11 PM

I would like an adaptation of Marlene Dietrich's daughter biography, Maria Riva. I loved her novel and I think it deserves a great movie for the theater.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2021 1:13 PM

It failed to show what a horrible, ungrateful, and manipulative little monster Christina was to her hardworking and loving mother...

Did I mention she was also quite the little tramp, picked her nose compulsively, and generally disrespected her sainted adopted mother?

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2021 1:22 PM

I saw it for the umpteenth time a few years back at a cinema with a packed audience that laughed uproariously throughout; next to me was a guy who had never seen the film and he kept muttering, "What the fuck am I watching?"

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote]Why wasn't Mommie Dearest taken more seriously?[/quote]

BECAUSE I AM NOT ONE OF YOUR FAAAAAAANS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2021 2:08 PM

There actually was a lot of subtlety in Faye's performance, especially the looks she gave Christina when she wasn't in full freak out mode. The scene where she tells Christina that now her spoiled and selfish dolls won't interrupt her sleep either is chilling.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2021 2:12 PM

Faye herself (as crazy as she is) got it right. The director failed to tell her to take it down several notches and the result was that her overacting turned the film into a campfest.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2021 2:12 PM

I've always felt Dunaway deserved a better film to play Joan Crawford in (and a better actress to play opposite than Diana Scarwid). She nails Crawford's mannerisms and her look, and her performance has great intensity that should have been channeled better by the director. They couldn't have found a better actress for the role, but it was all downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2021 2:19 PM

What is Mommie Dearest?

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2021 2:21 PM

R1 Best Documentary!

R11 Something you can google = Google was founded when you were 8.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2021 2:23 PM

[quote] There actually was a lot of subtlety in Faye's performance, especially ... when she wasn't in full freak out mode.

Why, I don't know what you're talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2021 5:46 PM

Faye seems to be pro-Joan and anti-Christina, here in this comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2021 5:51 PM

Christina was such a flirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2021 7:03 PM

My sources tell me a remake of the film is in development. OMFG.

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2021 7:05 PM

Shitfest

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2021 7:12 PM

Spill, r16!!!

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2021 7:13 PM

A remake of Mommie Dearest is as unnecessary as a remake of West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2021 7:15 PM

It's a much better picture than Valley of the Dolls, but it's unfairly regarded in the same light by its gay fans.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2021 7:15 PM

Nah, r20, cinematically, Valley of the Dolls is actually a much better film than Mommie Dearest. For all the flaws with the script and the silliness of the acting, Valley has a visual quality that Mommie Dearest doesn't have.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2021 7:19 PM

Now and then a sadness that you can genuinely feel and relate to slips through the camp outer shell of VOTD. Mostly in Sharon Tate's scenes and the closing credits. Mommie Dearest is too operatic for anyone to relate to on a human level.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote] Mommie Dearest is too operatic for anyone to relate to on a human level.

Fuck you, I lived it!

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2021 10:28 PM

OP— What are you talking about? It won plenty of awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2021 10:36 PM

Rofl @ R24!!!!

Only the second year of the "Razzies," and Mommie Dearest earned the most nominations!

That's fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2021 11:29 PM

How could anyone have taken this movie seriously?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2021 11:32 PM

I wonder if Faye's hand actually connected with Diana's face?

I'll bet it did!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2021 11:33 PM

How would Joan have handled it, if Christina ended up looking like Honey Boo Boo's mother?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2021 4:08 AM

I watched this during an online viewing and most of the people who had never seen it found it quite dark. And I have to agree. It didn't seem as campy as I remembered.

Faye's performance does have a lot of subtlety. I still think the scene with Louis B. Mayer is one of her best scenes in any film. Joan containing her rage and humiliation is brilliant.

As over the top as some of the scenes are, the abuse scenes are very chilling. As Roger Ebert said in his review, the film is voyeuristic. As someone who experienced something similar to Christina when I was younger, those scenes rang true. I've also read from other abuse survivors that those scenes are relatable.

by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2021 4:11 AM

The ONLY decent acting in this movie was the dirt under the large plant on the living room floor. PU

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2021 6:03 AM

Leave Faye alone.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2021 3:43 PM

I think it was taken seriously when it came out? I remember seeing in on HBO as a kid and being terrified, fascinated and disgusted by it.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2021 3:51 PM

Hollywood can't handle a tough broad who's their equal, so they got to tear her down. They did it to me too.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2021 3:54 PM

Aren't people tired of talking about this?

Good fucking grief, there are better fucking pictures to waste ones time on!

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2021 3:56 PM

R34 - And yet, here you are. Why not start your own thread rather than come here and insult others. Oh right... what's the fun in that?

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]R27 I wonder if Faye's hand actually connected with Diana's face? I'll bet it did!

Rutanya Alda said Faye roughed up wee Mara Hobel in the wire hanger scene, and the studio rushed out to buy her a truckload of toys to keep her pacified.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2021 4:04 PM

The Great Appeasement:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2021 4:07 PM

I like the pacing of Mommie Dearest. It seems shorter than it’s 2h 9m length. I also like the art direction and wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2021 4:07 PM

[quote] I wonder if Faye's hand actually connected with Diana's face?

Yes. Many times. But mostly off camera.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2021 4:13 PM

Maybe one thing I’ll say about it and that’s all. It’s just like obsession. OP - why can’t you be obsessed about positive things? About Marlon Brando. About the Costa Rica movie that was the hit of all of Europe and Cannes. About the film I did with Brando and talk to that - you know?

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2021 4:17 PM

Dear Faye, we loved you in Mommie Dearest AND The Towering Inferno.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2021 4:20 PM

Thank you for that.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2021 4:28 PM

It was, OP. I loved it. I think Faye should have been nominated. I don’t know why that’s a “controversial” statement, it’s fucking ridiculous. It was a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2021 4:31 PM

Poor Faye would've likely been nominated for an Oscar (at the very least!), had she been given a better director to do the film justice. Instead, with Frank Perry at the helm, we get a collection of overly long, extended scenes of Monster Joan being nasty and in meltdown mode.

And I don't fault Faye for giving it her all. Doing a heavy emotional meltdown scene is mentally draining for the actor, and they have to do several takes to make sure there is enough footage from all angles for the editor to piece together. So when Method-y actors get to that emotional breaking point where they're firing all cylinders, they can't just switch it on and off, they have to carry it through. It is up to the skilled director and editor to pare this all down to a seamless scene. But with Mr. Perry, he didn't seem to know when enough was enough.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2021 5:01 PM

Andy Warhol was stunned when Faye wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2021 5:07 PM

Paramount has just released an amazing blu-ray of MD. The images, colors and definitions are great.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2021 5:11 PM

Because it was based off a very one sided account. They turned Joan into a mustache twirling Victorian villain and they movie is full of dumb tropes. Reality is much more nuanced and reviewers back then we're much more aware of the shades of grey in life.

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2021 9:32 PM

apparently the guy who directed that movie is Katy Perry's uncle. I wonder what that household looked like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2021 9:41 PM

Frank Perry was a good director. Look up his filmography. Great movies, some of my all-time faves.

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2021 11:49 PM

R49, Frank Perry did fine with those indie characters studies like "The Swimmer," "David and Lisa," and "Diary of a Mad Housewife," but he was not the right person for "Mommie Dearest." I think he tried to deliver the same observational approach with "Mommie Dearest," but this Joan is not a real person. She is a movie villain with no real depth, so the presentation is a shallow one.

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2021 12:27 AM

Who really remembers what other films came out in 1981? 40 years later, we're still talking about Mommie Dearest. I don't even know what else came out that year aside from Friday the 13th Part 2 and Chariots of Fire.

In the end, Mommie Dearest is a classic as a film and pop culture artifact.

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2021 1:15 AM

Because it's super corny and campy op.

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2021 1:19 AM

[Quote] Who really remembers what other films came out in 1981?

Raiders of the Lost Ark, On Golden Pond, Superman II....

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2021 3:13 AM

And yet here on DL we're talking about Mommie Dearest and not Superman II or Indy.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2021 3:43 AM

^That's because we're gay. In the wider culture, Raiders and Superman II get more attention than Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2021 3:55 AM

You gays talk about Stripes (1981).

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2021 4:01 AM

Don't fuck with me, fellas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2021 4:02 AM

It is a fun yet tasteless movie.

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2021 4:03 AM

We don't talk about Superman or Indy because we don't want to talk about TOXIC MASCULINITY.

We talk about Mommie Dearest because we DO want to talk about TOXIC FEMININITY!!

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2021 4:22 AM

Because it's a high-camp hootenanny from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2021 4:26 AM

Steve Forrest gets me rock hard every time in his shower scene.

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2021 4:30 AM

[quote] I watched this during an online viewing and most of the people who had never seen it found it quite dark. And I have to agree. It didn't seem as campy as I remembered.

I agree. I watched the film recently and it was much darker than I thought it was. And Faye is a great actress who deserved a better director and film.

by Anonymousreply 62August 15, 2021 4:34 AM

Its an intense, hot house kind of movie. Arty. Many movie watchers would be be shaken and uneasy if they "took it seriously".

Also, lots of people react the way they have been told they should react to a movie or TV show. If it's a "gay camp classic" then that's the way they read it.

Of course the scenario is horrific. And it reminds me of Joan's own Baby Jane movie. People have been told that Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is a camp fest, and it is that, but it is also horrifying. The story is violent and nightmarish, and the direction is great, as are the performances.

Anyone is welcome to take such rich artistic creations on different levels, but many don't bother to do so, or have no practice and strategies to do so.

by Anonymousreply 63August 15, 2021 5:33 AM

You gotta be kidding op. There's a thread like yours on this film every week on here.

by Anonymousreply 64August 15, 2021 6:54 AM

[quote] Steve Forrest gets me rock hard every time in his shower scene.

Even Faye got an erection!

by Anonymousreply 65August 15, 2021 1:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!