Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Murder on the Orient Express 1974 Alternative Cast

Given the attention of my other post. Here is my alternative cast for MOTOE:

Hercule Poirot- Lumet wanted Alec Guinness or Paul Scofield. I thinker Peter Finch would be an interesting Poirot.

Mrs. Hubbard- Deborah Kerr keeps coming to my mind. This role is extremely difficult to cast. She would be better at the elegance of Arden than the loquaciousness of Hubbard.

M. Bianchi- Richard Conte. Coming off The Godfather, he could do this role in his sleep.

Great Olhsson- Viveca Lindfors. I really had to search for this once I discovered Inger Stevens died in 1970.

Countess Andrenyi- Helen Mirren. A young Mirren would do more than Bisset did in this role.

Pierre-Jean-Louis Trintignant. A great French actor who might be too attractive for Pierre.

Colonel Arbuthnot- Robert Shaw. Also thought of Richard Burton, Richard Harris, or Oliver Reed. Shaw is the better actor.

Mr. Beddoes- Ralph Richardson. No comment needed. Denholm Elliott was also a consideration.

Princess Dragomiroff- Brigette Helm. She was in fucking Metropolis (1927).

Hector McQueen- Sam Waterston. He wouldn't be as emotionally unstable as Perkins, but could do a lot with the role.

Mary Denbenham- Julie Christie. It is 1974, Christie would definitely bring in the star power. Shirley Eaton aka "Great Value Julie Christie" wouldn't be too bad either.

Hildegard Schmitt- Janet Suzman. She looks tough as a boot. She would have to look older

Samuel Rachett- William Holden. His performance in Network in 1975 proved he was still in the game at this point in his career.

Count Andrenyi- Klaus Maria Brandauer. He is an attractive Hungarian-Austrian. Michael Jayston was also a consideration.

Cyrus Hardman- Alec McCowen. Easy and small enough role for him. I always thought he needed more film roles.

Doctor Constantine- Bernard Lee. A familiar face, he might not be goofy enough for Dr. Constantine though.

Antonio Foscarelli- Franco Franchi. Funny Italian comedian for a good comic relief part.

Please let me know your thoughts on the cast. Easily adaptable but don't be tacky.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2022 6:41 PM

Peter Finch

Klaus Maria Brandauer

Julie Christie

Richard Conte

Franco Frenchi

Brigette Helm

William Holden

Deborah Kerr

Bernard Lee

Vevica Lindfors

Alec McCowen

Helen Mirren

Sir Ralph Richardson

Robert Shaw

Janet Suzman

Jean-Louis Trintignant

Sam Waterston

in Agatha Christi's

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2021 4:52 PM

It’s not Shakespeare. We need STARS.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2021 5:11 PM

R2 Julie Christie, Robert Shaw, William Holden, Sam Waterston, Ralph Richardson, Franco Frenchi, and Jean-Louis Trintignant were STARS in 1974!

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2021 5:14 PM

Pfft! I’ll give you three.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2021 5:26 PM

R4 Which three?

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2021 5:34 PM

The first ones listed.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2021 5:37 PM

R6 ??? Finch, Kerr, and Christie? or Finch, Klaus Maria Brandauer, and Christie?

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2021 5:39 PM

Listed in r3

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2021 5:41 PM

Would we get a flash of Mirren's minge during her interrogation scene?

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2021 5:50 PM

ElIzabeth Taylor for Mrs Hubbard. Marlon Brando or William Holden for Ratchett. Joan Crawford for the Princess Dragomiroff. Tippi Hedren for Greta Ohlsson. Dustin Hoffman for Hector McQueen. Jack Nicholson for Cyrus Hardman. Ben Gazzara for Foscarelli. Olivia Hussey for Countess Andrenyi. Warren Beatty for Count Andrenyi. Jean Marsh for Hildegarde. .

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2021 7:05 PM

R10 terrible

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2021 7:57 PM

Yes, terrible and silly.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2021 9:39 PM

Deborah Kerr could NEVER achieve the abrasiveness required for Mrs. Hubbard. Where did that lovely actress ever exhibit that sort of persona? If Elizabeth Taylor would have allowed herself to be properly directed by Lumet, she could have been stunning.

Or better yet, Vivien Leigh. But was she already dead by 1974?

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2021 10:00 PM

Deborah Kerr is nothing like Hubbard to me, but I think she would have been ideal for Mary Debenham if the movie had been made in the 1950s. I stand by Elizabeth Taylor as alternate casting for Mrs. Hubbard. I think she’d nail the “my second husband always said” fishwife-made-good persona of Hubbard and might have even been better than Bacall at evoking Arden’s broken heart.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2021 11:19 PM

Liz was a star. She would not appear in a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2021 12:03 AM

What about Katharine Hepburn as Mrs. Hubbard?

Brigette Bardot as Countess Andrenyi?

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2022 6:16 PM

Both too old. Bardot would have been 40 in 1974 and Hepburn would have been almost 70.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2022 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!