Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

He-Man fans are furious after new He-Man show barely features He-Man and focuses on chick instead

Kevin Smith turned it into a Joss Whedon chick-fighter thing instead of focusing on what fans really wanted to see, He-Man’s luscious pecs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2021 5:26 PM

Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith are omega males. Literally read: DON'T BE LIKE THEM.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2021 1:10 PM

When it comes to fandoms already established you better gave them what they want

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2021 1:13 PM

R2 Astute comment

These 'tards don't understand this point. They're focus is on radical change, which usually means emasculating men.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2021 1:17 PM

Because Smith is a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2021 1:31 PM

R2, agree. Properties like He-Man, Star Wars, etc. have a built-in fanbase that is largely male. They want to see male protagonists. Not doing that alienates the fanbase that ends up impacting viewership and therefore the bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2021 1:32 PM

Straight men should have nothing to do with He-Man—as in creators or writers.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 1:34 PM

R6 LOL....Sure, whatever. 🙄

A lesson in how to destroy a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 1:37 PM

If not gay men—then trans, R7. Maybe that’ll make you happy.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2021 1:40 PM

The people will accept what they are fed...if they know what's good for them.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2021 1:41 PM

It was fine. After all the mixed reviews, I was expecting the worst, but I ended up enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 1:51 PM

R8 From the frying pan into the fire!

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2021 1:53 PM

Another show that bites the dust, where they put women in roles intended for men, trying to pretend that there are no biological difference between the sexes.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 1:58 PM

Skeletor was my favourite character anyway.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2021 1:58 PM

Muscle vs skeletor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2021 2:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2021 3:30 PM

Maybe some of these aggrieved fanboys should note that the title is Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Yeah, it might not feature He-Man as much, but it sounds more like an ensemble effort. Kinda like The Avengers.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2021 3:56 PM

R5 It's not only about male fans and male protagonists, fandoms don't like "creative" changes.

Harry Potter and the hunger games were successes because they were faithful to the original source, Eragon, Divergent or Shadowhunters failed because the screenplay writers were too creative with the material and the fans didn't like it

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2021 6:17 PM

The tears of whiny incels are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2021 8:44 AM

Please, these aren't fans. They are trolls hating anything woke or virtue signaling. It's like the Ghostbuster movie, where it turned out that Milo Y and other alt-right losers organized the effort to downvote the trailer of the all-women movie.

Other than Andra, all the characters featured on the show were part of the Masters of the Universe franchise. And they male characters are featured a lot.

And, maybe I am reading too much into it, but I think there was a gay couple in Heaven with Adam and all the other deceased champions.

Overall, I very much like Kevin's take on Masters of the Universe. At first, I was a bit pissed off that he gave Orko, the comic relief, such a series and tragic storyline, but it worked within the show's universe.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2021 9:01 AM

If anything was done to change the daddy perfection that is Man-At-Arms, I will let out a Princess-Diana-is-killed scream that will wake the fucking dead.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2021 9:03 AM

So sorry,

... and the male characters are featured a lot.

... that he gave Orko, the comic relief, such a serious and tragic storyline,

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2021 9:03 AM

Man-At-Arms! He was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2021 9:05 AM

[quote] Another show that bites the dust, where they put women in roles intended for men, trying to pretend that there are no biological difference between the sexes.

It’s a cartoon, you tard.

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2021 9:25 AM

Kevin Smith answered all the sadboy kneejerk idiots who think He-Man won't be featured in the show --

[quote]"I see people online go, ‘Hey man, they’re getting rid of He-Man!' Like, you really fucking think Mattel Television, who hired me and paid me money, wants to do a fucking ‘Masters of the Universe’ show without He-Man?

[quote]“And also, because I know what a fan base reacts like when they don’t get the thing they grew up watching. You think I’m gonna be the fall guy for that? If I’m involved in a thing, it’s going to be true to what it is. It’s gonna be true to the franchise.

I do think what they're doing is taking a big chance because from what I gather is they're building up to a big reveal/entrance of He-Man in the 2nd half of Season 1. So there really is no He-Man in the first part of Season 1. But people are idiots if they they think he won't be the focus of the series literally produced by Mattel.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2021 9:44 AM

R24 Well, yes and no. People don't like change. I figured they'd eventually bring him back, but fast food entertainment is what people are used to nowadays, and you can't really ignore that. I also think as a poster said up thread, the fact the Teela has a GF and she's BLACK!! has a little to do with it. I kinda get people's frustration with changing the ethnicities of established characters, but I'd rather them add a new POC character which is what Smith did and I think it's fine.

My problem with the series is the animation isn't great but the worst is SMG. Very bad choice to have her voice the main character. It's almost unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2021 12:34 PM

She-Ra wasn't a lesbian in 1985.

Why did they change that?

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2021 12:38 PM

Haters with a pet cause like "wokenism" exploit any issue or controversy. Nothing to do with change. The only problem nerds would have with the show is that Teela and her girlfriend are not scissoring at least once per episode.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2021 12:41 PM

Because woke R26. It’s ridiculous. I wish gays and lesbians would complain and say She-Ra is not gay.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2021 1:01 PM

Okay, I was a big He-Man fan as a kid--had almost all of the action figures, vehicles, and playsets--and was pretty anxious about them fucking this up. Also, I'm not a big fan of current Hollywood trends with regard to shoving down cheap "female empowerment" crap down our throats, shitting on old beloved characters, thereby actively alienating the original fan base (e.g., the Star Wars sequels).

That said, I watched the five episodes of Revelation, and anyone who seriously thinks that Adam's dead or that the rest of the show will be all about Teela must be a fucking idiot. I mean, the series is pretty predicable and the writing is perfectly mediocre, so it's pretty obvious where they are going with this. Really, you'd have to be braindead to not get it...

Overall, it's okay. I liked that they were very true to the original designs, while willing to change the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2021 1:08 PM

It’s funny how there’s less focus on Adam and He-Man, who could be gay, more focus on Teela, and She-Ra is a lesbian. Yeah. That doesn’t sound like agenda at all.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2021 1:14 PM

Oh, also, all the idiots who complain about Teela being special... She's the fucking daughter of the Sorceress. Everybody who's familiar with the toy line knows this!

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2021 1:15 PM

R27. You do realize "wokeism" and change is a cause-and-effect thing. Right? They CHANGED Teela and She-ra into a lesbos. So, yes. It has EVERYTHING to do with change.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2021 1:36 PM

If they wanted to make it woke, they coyld have made He-Man gay, like they made everyone in the She-Ra show a carpet-muncher. But ofc they chose to just fall back on tired pussy power narrative again.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2021 1:38 PM

Who says that He-Man isn't gay? Prince Adam seems pretty gay, and he's BFF with lesbo Teela.

However, just like the relationship between Teela and Andra, I don't think that the will make anything explicit in this series.

Anyway, these "champions" in Preternia looked quite gay. (Who am I kidding, all the guys in this series look gay. It's MotU, for fuck's sake...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2021 2:14 PM

I never once got the Teela is in a relationship with Andra vibe.

To me, Teela is still carrying a torch for He-Man and Andra is just her bounty buddy. Nothing more.

Maybe I should re-watch it again.

The real star is Evil-Lyn anyways.

I grew up on Filmation He-Man and She-ra but I'm loving these Netflix adaptations. I need to go now and watch Voltron, another childhood favorite.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2021 3:34 PM

[Quote]Who says that He-Man isn't gay?

Who says he is? The show doesn't and it seems they're going to kill him again and bury him for good this time, so they're not going anywhere near gayness with him.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2021 3:50 PM

But they’ll make She-Ra a lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2021 3:51 PM

I remember when George Takei commented on how terrible it was they made his TV Star Trek character gay in the movie version. He’s right. It’s ridiculous. We need gays to speak out. “Don’t use me to fulfill your woke bullshit!”

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote]Who says he is? The show doesn't and it seems they're going to kill him again and bury him for good this time, so they're not going anywhere near gayness with him.

If you really think that Adam/He-Man is dead, you are dumber than a bag of rocks. What are you, five years old?! Are you even allowed unsupervised access to the internet?

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2021 4:37 PM

Is the Queen the only woman in the show who doesn't have big muscles ? All of the others look like they live in a gym.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2021 5:02 PM

Well the Queen was the only character from Earth.

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2021 5:39 PM

The trailer clearly focused on He-Man alone yet it become a Teela carpet munching show. The worst clickbait ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 27, 2021 6:13 PM

This is why heterosexual white men should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 43July 27, 2021 6:14 PM

[quote] You do realize "wokeism" and change is a cause-and-effect thing. Right? They CHANGED Teela and She-ra into a lesbos.

Change would imply that both Teela and She-Ra were specifically labelled as straight. Did they have any explicit on-screen, romantic relationships in their 80s shows?

[quote] So, yes. It has EVERYTHING to do with change.

Actually, it has something to do with the individual's REACTION to change. Like, is your ego so incredibly fragile that a character, on a show previously only targeted at kids, becomes a more mature character with a sexual identity? Neither the toy line nor the 80s cartoon series ever addressed anyone's sexuality or sexual identity, because - at that time - that was not suitable for little children (but selling them toys that way was ok).

I do not believe that He-Man: Revelation is targeted at kids. Its demographic is adults who grew up with the 80s MOTU franchise (toy line and cartoon series) and as its fans the show has matured with more adult themes (like death, sexual identity, etc.).

To me, a so-called fan who cries about his childhood being ruined (RUINED!) because of some "change" of the source material (again, were any of the non-married characters ever identified as straight?) is Karen level unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 44July 27, 2021 7:25 PM

Has Courteney Cox commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 45July 27, 2021 7:38 PM

R44 I mean...feel better? Can you look at yourself in the mirror now that you've posted that ridiculousness?

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2021 1:02 PM

r46, I'm not the hater who hates "change" and who has his childhood "ruined" by a re-imagined cartoon series.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2021 1:23 PM

R47 Uh...neither am I. What's your point?

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2021 1:26 PM

r48, LOL. Trying to backtrack from what you wrote at r32?

[quote] You do realize "wokeism" and change is a cause-and-effect thing. Right? They CHANGED Teela and She-ra into a lesbos. So, yes. It has EVERYTHING to do with change.

Hater be hatin, cause LESBOS ruined his childhood!

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2021 1:29 PM

Jesus, He-Man was fucking garbage in the ‘80s and now it’s 35 years later and you’re all fighting about it like it’s actually important in any way. Get some fucking lives please.

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2021 1:51 PM

Kevin looks always surprised now. It's creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2021 1:55 PM

Nah, you're kinda dumb aren't R49?

My initial post is my observation of why people--IN GENERAL--- don't like the updated version based on what I've read under comments sections mainly because of the major changes. You then piped in with your condescending explanation about "wokeism" and change. I followed up with change IS a result of wokiesm. Then your panties got waded or something and now here we are with your embarrassing replies confirming that you don't even understand what the fuck you're responding to.

Nothing in my posts stated that I don't like this reboot EXCEPT for SMG and the animation.

Are we done?

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2021 1:59 PM

r52,

LOL. Backtracking even more. Oh, It's not MY opinion, but I sure will defend those poor triggered "fan-nerds".

[quote] Are we done?

I finished you off some comments ago. But you keep coming back for more. Don't blame your thirst on me.

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2021 2:59 PM

[quote]Has Courteney Cox commented yet? —S. Dey

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2021 3:01 PM

I'm a bit confused about the backlash - granted I have only seen the first episode so far, but He-Man is in it - he disappears into a portal/disintegrates (I wasn't too clear on that) but I'm assuming he will come back into it at some point.

by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote]T. Pollan

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2021 9:11 PM

R53 Oh my GODDD. You're still at it? Of course, you are...LOL

by Anonymousreply 57July 29, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote]Then your panties got waded

Oh, dear, Kevin Smith stan at R52.

by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2021 12:17 PM

The second part of season one was released and it's pretty great. The show ends with a semi-cliffhanger.

Spoiler Alert: The show hints at a return of Hordak.

by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2021 8:58 PM

Season 3 King Hiss and the snake men?

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2021 3:44 AM

This cartoon series is pretty great. And has some blink-and-you-miss-it funny moments, like Fisto declaring he wants to fist Skeletor. But for the most part it's pretty dark and adult themed (dealing with death for the most part).

Though I do think it's kind of weird how Teela can just make up her own rules while her mother sacrificed so much when she could've had it all if she believed she could. What the show does with Orco, the comic relief character, is pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2021 2:32 PM

Overall, I thought it was okay.

[quote]Though I do think it's kind of weird how Teela can just make up her own rules while her mother sacrificed so much when she could've had it all if she believed she could. What the show does with Orco, the comic relief character, is pretty great.

Yeah, this is the kind of deus ex machina shit (without any setup whatsoever) that I hate in today's entertainment. I mean, Teela has always been the daughter of the Sorceress, so I don't mind her following in her mother's footsteps, but why make her even more super special? Combined with the relative absence of He-Man during this series, it just reeks of well-meant, but badly executed , trite 'girl power!' fan fiction written by a nerdy, straight manbaby.

I also hated that the series alluded to Adam and Teela getting together at the end. Adam has always been pretty gay, he should get together with Bow in the eventual She-Ra crossover!

by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2021 4:46 PM

I could've sworn the show alluded to Teela and Andra being an item. So, the Prince Adam and Teela touching hands moment caught me by surprise, too. I always saw them as having more of a brother and sister kind of relationship.

I think Sarah Michelle Gellar took the gig, because it gave her more to do than anyone expected (basically being the lead for at least the first half of the season). Same goes with Lena Headey as Evil Lynn.

And I think that is what I like about the show, because it developed characters that haven't been much developed in the past (say, Evil Lynn's back story of how she met Skeletor). My most favorite episode is the one where Orko and Evil Lynn are trapped in the same fear dream in the underworld.

by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2021 5:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!