Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dusty Fabulosity

This bitch was EVERYTHING. The pipes, the wig, the song, the hand gestures.

*cums*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240February 11, 2023 6:48 AM

Also, big dyke. HUGE!

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 10:35 PM

We've talked about her many times, OP, and I've started some of those threads!

But another one is always welcome!

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2021 10:41 PM

SOME queen somewhere in the UK has to have a full set of her TV shows, in fine enough quality to broadcast again.

Where are you, gurlina?

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2021 10:42 PM

I'll die now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2021 10:47 PM

What kind of lover was Dusty Springfield? Did she have an actual relationship with Norma Tanega and Gladys Horton?

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2021 10:51 PM

R5 Yes, she and Norma were together for several years.

Dusty was, unfortunately, often her own worst enemy.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 10:55 PM

There was only one Dusty and he identified as a cowboy!

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 10:57 PM

Peak Dusty had to be her album "Dusty in Memphis". Every song.

One of the very best albums of the 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 10:58 PM

Love Dusty!

Petite lady who willed herself to appear statuesque. The hair, the cut of her dresses hiding mile high heels.

Smoky voiced sultress of literally almost any musical genre. Country, folk, jazz, R&B, you name it and she sang it. Sang it with emotion and reverence. No cosplaying or appropriating with Dusty. She was integrity laden.

Her personal life was a steaming hot mess. But she had her fun as well. Something else.

I love her and would have made soft and slow delicate love with her.

Watch my ages old live YouTube performance. Please. It's amazing and she's barely out of her teens at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 11:00 PM

70s stuff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 11:11 PM

Windmills was such a big song at the time...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 11:19 PM

Dusty served some Roisin Murphy style realness about 25 years before Roisin did!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 12:06 AM

Her version of "Windmills Of Your Mind" was fantastic, the very definition of sultry. I also loved when she sang "A House Is Not A Home" on some Burt Bacharach TV special...she hit every emotional note of that song.

It's strange that someone who had such a way with these type songs had her biggest hit with the ultra-light "Wishin' and Hopin'".

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote]It's strange that someone who had such a way with these type songs had her biggest hit with the ultra-light "Wishin' and Hopin'".

Back then there was so much music, so much competition, it really depended what other songs a song was up against at the time of its debut.

Maybe "Windmills Of Your Mind" didn't crack the top ten, but it got constant airplay.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2021 12:27 AM

Two of her biggest hits - I Only Want To Be With You and Wishin' and Hopin' - are my least favorite songs of hers.

For me, her vocals are often (not always, but often) best in a song with at least a bit of melancholy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2021 1:39 AM

She made this Janis Ian song hers.....and ripped my fucking heart out doing it.....sob!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2021 1:41 AM

I’m not sure I believe Anne Murray's story that Dusty came on to her and nothing ever happened between them.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2021 2:13 AM

Anne looks like such a rug muncher. Dusty could hardly be blamed.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2021 3:47 AM

Who’d play Dusty in the biopic?

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2021 3:50 AM

Someone has to post it. There's also a good Ed Sullivan performance, but this version has a few more quirks and variations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2021 5:09 AM

Dusty . She was beautiful and so talented. Some of her ballads bring tears to my eyes because of the combination of power and tenderness of her voice. I listen to her still at least once a week.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2021 6:51 AM

R5: Gladys Horton? I thought it was Martha Reeves.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2021 7:13 AM

Dusty did some of her best work in the 70s but unfortunately none of her albums from that decade sold well. They're all on Youtube and worth a listen.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2021 7:17 AM

I like the story she used to tell about Aretha Franklin. "Son of a Preacher Man" was originally offered to Franklin who turned it down. Springfield then recorded it and it was considered a highlight of her well-regarded Memphis album. Franklin saw how successful the song was, so she changed her mind and decided to release her version of it, hoping to have a bigger hit and eclipse Springfield's song.

[quote] Aretha Franklin turned down the offer to record this song at first, but after hearing Dusty’s version, she just couldn’t pass it up. Dusty recalled meeting the Queen of Soul in an elevator, “All Aretha ever said to me – and I died – we were in a lift, and she just put her hand on my arm and went, `Girlll!'” High praise indeed.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2021 8:32 AM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2021 8:33 AM

She struggled very badly with her mental health. She was a huge star but was wracked with insecurities. She was petrified that she would lose her career if she was outed. Then she outed herself. She was a mass of contradictions, but so talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2021 9:08 AM

“Anne looks like such a rug muncher. Dusty could hardly be blamed.”

So Springfield wanted to give that rug a dusting?

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2021 9:49 AM

[quote] It's strange that someone who had such a way with these type songs had her biggest hit with the ultra-light "Wishin' and Hopin'"

Her biggest hit was You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me (#2 in the US, #1 in UK). W&H was #6 in the US and uncharted or Un released as a single in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2021 9:58 AM

Was the original Italian song that "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" was a cover of a big hit in Italy?

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2021 10:00 AM

fabulous clip R20!

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2021 10:33 AM

Wigs? That's how we teased our hair into bouffants back then!

SO glad I was a teen in the 60s! Dang, I'm old now, but the music!!

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2021 10:52 AM

"What Have I Done to Deserve This?" - Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield

Dusty was very proud of this song. It introduced her to a whole new generation of fans. It was released in 1987, and went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2021 11:38 AM

Dusty was indeed magnificent. I always think of her as someone with a ton of hits, but she only had 4 US top 10 hits, and only a few more than that in the UK. Not that diminishes her legacy. It had to have been a blow when Dusty in Memphis flopped in album sales. It’s of course regarded today as one of the best albums of all time.

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2021 11:57 AM

Delighted to find another Dusty thread. I've been on a Dusty kick for about six months. Always liked her, but lately listening to her catalog with obsessive analytical interest. Her genius is elusive, which is what's so great about it. Such a natural. Add the look and gestures on top of that – just fabulous. How I wish I could've seen her perform live. I even got Carol whatsername's book, skimming for the Dusty stuff. The book is amusing, Carol is funny, but the Dusty stuff was a bit....offhand. Carol seemed to see herself as a diva on the same level, at least that was my reading. I was left wanting more insight, somehow.

My favorite Dusty tunes involved the big wall of mod 60s orchestral sound. "Where Am I Going" is a great one, and Dusty's version is hands down better than Streisand's in my opinion. I wonder what Barbra thought of her. "Dusty in Memphis" is much more subtle, an album that invites savoring the details: "Now you know me.....you know how proud I am."

Norma Tanega was an interesting artist, who's getting some cult attention. She and Dusty had a similar vocal quality. I guess that was coincidence, since both were established singers when they met.

I wonder how that Gemma Arterton biopic is coming along...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2021 12:44 PM

I like Gemma, but she’s not who I’d think of to play Dusty. Wasn’t Dusty tiny? Gemma is tall and robust.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2021 12:50 PM

Dusty's vocals on her English version of Jacques Brel's "Ne Me Quitte Pas" used to haunt me. I heard the song as a kid and thought that's what heartbreak must sound like. I of course had no idea what heartbreak was back then.

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2021 12:57 PM

R35 I don’t mind a tall actress, since I always thought Dusty was tall. As someone noted, she willed herself to look taller.

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2021 1:17 PM

R2 is an example of the pathetic mind-sets of so many sad cases here. Bragging about her threads, with a back-handed welcome.

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2021 1:30 PM

Only a sad, broken person like R38 would see R2's comment that way.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2021 1:41 PM

I had to write love songs for that dyke. Do you know how hard that was?

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2021 1:49 PM

Coco Peru has stolen every bit of Dusty Springfield’s persona.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2021 1:52 PM

R40 Carole loved Dusty's interpretations.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2021 1:52 PM

I am going to go back and listen to all the links here when I get a chance. Keep posting.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2021 1:54 PM

I am going to repost "I Only Want to Be With You" that R4 posted, except this version of it is in color. And Dusty is in a sort of acid green dress with matching shoes and eyeshadow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2021 2:23 PM

This, a thousand times this.

F

L

A

W

L

E

S

S

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2021 2:25 PM

From early on with the Springfields, Dusty had a feel for Latin and world music. I love this version of "One Note Samba."

She had a way of being animated and reserved/refined at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2021 2:28 PM

Dusty tries to out Benetar Pat Benetar in the early 80s.

(and sounds surprisingly good doing it)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2021 2:30 PM

They tried to do.....something that was part folk and part world music. Wimoweh was apparently just a made up word.

Dusty looks so young here. And not terribly unlike Ana Gasteyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2021 2:37 PM

If you are ever forced into a Karaoke situation, you can do a lot worse than asking for a Dusty song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2021 2:51 PM

She really shone here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2021 2:53 PM

Dusty does Carole...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2021 3:00 PM

Dusty's "No Easy Way Down" is far better than the mediocre Babs version from her "Stoney End" album. And no one has sung "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" better than Dusty.

I still prefer Dionne's "A House Is Not A Home" but Dusty does a fine job with it. (And don't bring up the the godawful, vulgar Luther Van Dross monstrosity. The oversinging, the tacky vocal gymnastics and the complete lack of any understanding of the lyric on top of the vocal showboating used to make me want to throw a pie in his fat face.)

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2021 3:46 PM

Luther's version is epic, you don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2021 3:54 PM

I wish Dusty had done a version of my favorite Bacharach-David song, "Trains and Boats and Planes." My favorite version is by the Box Tops. I never cared for the sound of Dionne Warwick's voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote](And don't bring up the the godawful, vulgar Luther Van Dross monstrosity. The oversinging, the tacky vocal gymnastics and the complete lack of any understanding of the lyric on top of the vocal showboating used to make me want to throw a pie in his fat face.)

Agreed.

Luther Van Dross like Whitney Houston understood nothing about interpretation. But their particular type of fans love vocal. bling.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2021 4:01 PM

Well, Luther is considered one of the greatest vocalists of his era, as is Whitney, so that's just your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2021 4:29 PM

I usually prefer Dusty over Barbra for just about anything, but I do like Babs’ “no easy way down.” Great backing vocals by I believe the band Fanny. Carole King’s album version is pretty soulful too.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2021 4:31 PM

Has this one been posted yet? It’s probably my favorite Dusty song along with Windmills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2021 4:43 PM

Dusty's "Who Can I Turn To" is better than Barbra's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2021 4:59 PM

R59 Unfortunately Babs did not record her version during her 1960s / early 70s peak when she could have made the song soar.

And doing it as a virtual duet with the long-gone Anthony Newley was just so corny.

Anyway, it's a juicy song for a good singer to tear into. Dusty's is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2021 5:13 PM

R58 Love that one! Captures how you feel when you really want to pursue a lover.

“I’ll cheat and I’ll lie…try till I die…til I make you my man!” Dusty was a trouper singing all those love songs to men.

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2021 5:13 PM

R59 Can’t say I’m too fond of the accompaniment on that one, that rumpa pum pum drumbeat, yuck.

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2021 5:17 PM

R62I Yes, very much of the era. The arranger was a Brit but to my ears it has a very French/Italian pop orchestration sound.

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2021 5:31 PM

^ For R62

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] godawful, vulgar Luther Van Dross monstrosity

I didn't care for that version, either. But Luther could deliver perfection at other times, like with If Only For One Night. So I can't say it was just ballads, though he could sometimes get very much up his own ass on a ballad.

I think sometimes he really deconstucted covers in a way I didn't enjoy. But I loved a wide range of his songs.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2021 6:02 PM

Where Am I Going? was really a turning point for Dusty.

She was several albums and hits in, and the hits were running dry. This album is so enjoyable, but also a vision of what Dusty may have rebelled against - the semi pop, semi Broadway, dinner theater lady on stage she was destined to become with this music.

It's why, I think, she went for the Memphis album, then the Philly sound, to try and change that destination.

Still, this has SO many great songs on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2021 6:05 PM

Dusty's version of Heatwave is wonderful.

Girl could really move on stage, too! She was a fabulous live performer, all the hand gestures etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2021 7:25 PM

Dusty does Nowhere To Run.

No other white artist has ever covered Motown as well as she did, imho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2021 7:28 PM

As Elvis Costello said, she sang with real soul. There was no putting it on, she had it.

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2021 7:58 PM

Dusty Springfield - Longing (Unreleased, 1974)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2021 8:05 PM

Bitch had soul. Like La Winehouse had soul.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2021 9:36 PM

*whisper* I never got Winehouse, may she RIP

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2021 10:09 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2021 10:15 PM

It's my thread so I can hjiack, it right?

Hear the soul here, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 24, 2021 10:20 PM

I think in the end, it was the eyeliner what did her in.

by Anonymousreply 75July 24, 2021 10:31 PM

oops I misplaced the fucking comma @ R74

by Anonymousreply 76July 24, 2021 10:33 PM

Call me a philistine, but I just don't "get" Dusty Springfield.

Now Winehouse, her I get.

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 77July 24, 2021 11:13 PM

You, r77, are crowned Phyllis Stein. I turned Amy's version of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" off when she started that mewling noise. And all that static. No one should have to listen to that.

by Anonymousreply 78July 24, 2021 11:16 PM

Dusty's version of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 24, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote]Dusty was, unfortunately, often her own worst enemy.

Dusty was, unfortunately, an undiagnosed BI-POLAR.

And I do not want to hear from that deluded freak who claims those labeled "bi-polar" are no more than borderline personalities.

One more question: did Dusty "know" Lainie Kazan?

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2021 11:49 PM

How do we feel about the song that she did with Richard Carpenter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2021 11:55 PM

Dusty did an interesting take on Janis Ian's "In the Winter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 25, 2021 12:04 AM

Amy did, r71/OP. She sang from her heart and soul.

Here's a great article on Dusty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 25, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote] How do we feel about the song that she did with Richard Carpenter?

He tried to switch out one lesbian for another?

by Anonymousreply 84July 25, 2021 12:45 AM

I heard that Elton John originally wanted Dusty for "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". It seems logical, since he was a huge Dusty fan and she did backing vocals on his "Caribou" album in 1974. I wonder why it didn't happen...I can totally hear her doing those vocals.

by Anonymousreply 85July 25, 2021 12:51 AM

Dusty spent the 70s struggling with drugs and alcohol and it was BAD. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 86July 25, 2021 12:58 AM

She had hit the rock bottom when Pet Shop Boys asked her to be on "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" in 1987. When they tried to track her down, they found her in LA, living in some seedy weekly rate motel.

A friend of mine lived not far from where she lived in Toronto with Carole Pope in the early 80s and, according to him, it was amessy, volatile relationship: cops were called to settle their domestic disputes and frying pans were involved.

by Anonymousreply 87July 25, 2021 1:18 AM

R74 Sorry 0P I gave it a whirl but my ears don’t get it. I think I’m too old. Dusty all the way though.

by Anonymousreply 88July 25, 2021 1:49 AM

R78 I have to agree. I don’t like to turn this thread in a “disrespect Amy” direction, especially not today. It may be generational, I just think she often sounds unpleasant. However I do acknowledge the vocal gift is there. I hear it in the words “is this a lasting,” right before “treasure.” Beautiful. But then it veers off into all of these affectations that singers started doing in the 90s. Again these are just my old ears responding. Also the instrumental accompaniment on that song is sparse and unpleasant. To me. Dusty was soulful and obviously complex but not dark.

by Anonymousreply 89July 25, 2021 2:03 AM

Dusty finally got clean and sober, had a career resurgence, and for the first time in her life had some peace and stability and then just a few years later she was diagnosed with cancer. It's so tragic that she couldn't have had more years of happiness after all she had gone through.

by Anonymousreply 90July 25, 2021 2:08 AM

1973 Dusty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 25, 2021 2:13 AM

For someone with a lot of problems, Dusty’s career was remarkably prolific and diverse.

by Anonymousreply 92July 25, 2021 2:15 AM

Well, what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 25, 2021 2:21 AM

For some reason I’m always interested in pitting Streisand against other singers. Does anyone know if Barbra ever commented on Dusty, or interacted with her? Obviously they we’re contemporaries and recorded some of the same songs. When I compare their versions, I usually come away thinking Barbra’s is overwrought and Dusty’s is cool. I only prefer Barbra’s “No Easy Way Down” but that might be because I like the arrangement better.

by Anonymousreply 94July 25, 2021 2:32 AM

r91 that's a great song and it should've been a hit. It fit right in with the period.

by Anonymousreply 95July 25, 2021 3:23 AM

Dusty Springfield is the finest white soul singer who ever was. Male or female.

by Anonymousreply 96July 25, 2021 3:26 AM

Closet man.

Yes, the song is exactly what you think it's about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 25, 2021 3:31 AM

I think Dusty and Amy had some similarities. I don't necessarily mean singing style or material.

Both seemed to be very shy, both sort of escaped by creating a persona that was heavy on the visuals. Both had struggles with addiction. Dusty barely survived hers, Amy did not.

I love Dusty and have an appreciation for Winehouse that's mostly limited to Back to Black. But it still haunts me when you see clips of Amy circa 2005, where she looks healthy, and contrast them with her appearance in Back to Black era, where her makeup and hair are so different - the changes in her appearance were so substantial and yet no one seemed to notice. Dusty's panda eye makeup seems like a modest escape by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 98July 25, 2021 5:42 AM

Amy circa 2004-2005

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 25, 2021 5:46 AM

....and just a few short years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 25, 2021 5:47 AM

Well R89 at least you gave it a try and can hear something of what others appreciate. It's interesting that some people on this thread just don't 'get' Dusty. Chaqu'un a son gout...

R99 thx for that clip -- wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 101July 25, 2021 11:06 AM

Dusty was a regular co-host on a 60s UK music show called Ready Steady Go. The Motown Revue was touring the UK, and wasn’t selling as many tickets as anticipated. Dusty was a huge Motown fan, and went to the producers demanding a Motown special, which she would present. Her clout at the time meant she got her way, and Motown was launched in the UK in a classic show. The rest of the tour was sold out. She was a class act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 25, 2021 2:10 PM

Love that Ready steady go format. I know she’s lip-synching but it’s still so exciting in the middle of the crowd like that. Her gestures are just the coolest. This song was written by her brother Tom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 25, 2021 2:28 PM

An unreleased track from the Gamble/Huff project.

Sounds fab!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 25, 2021 2:34 PM

Thanks to this thread, I’ve been going down a Dusty YouTube rabbit hole this morning. Just watched this documentary (probably already posted here) and I am giving myself a MARY! because I cried at the end. I really didn’t know much about her until the Pet Shop Boys song came out when I was in high school. I then started seeking out her older music and realized my parents had a copy of the Dusty in Memphis album packed up in the attic. I’ve been a fan ever since.

Love the baby dyke pictures of young Dusty in this documentary! She certainly had her demons, but she also seemed like a warm, fun person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 25, 2021 4:07 PM

[quote]Does anyone know if Barbra ever commented on Dusty, or interacted with her?

Ha ha ha! NO. Why would she? In the 1960s, those from the theaaatre who were also pop singers of the adult variety did not interact or comment on the teen ones*. In the 1970s, Barbra was a top movie star and Dusty was doing drugs and hanging around with Billie Jean King.

* music meant to appeal to teenagers, top 10 hits and all that

by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2021 4:13 PM

Are there any pictures of the three wigs? Cilla, Lulu, and Sandy? Which one would have been the biggest tallest beehive?

by Anonymousreply 107July 25, 2021 4:15 PM

Dusty was killed by the closet according to her manager, Vicki Wickham (an out lesbian for decades). But she was raised in a strict Irish Catholic home and believed she needed to be closeted for the sake of her career--and she was probably right. Wickham says that as someone who was behind of scenes, she herself was able to live much more freely. I've posted a late career interview with Dusty from YouTube. It should make your gaydar ping mightily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 25, 2021 4:26 PM

R106 She was no Joni James.

by Anonymousreply 109July 25, 2021 4:27 PM

Streisand only attached herself to people if the association had commercial value (Madonna, Donna Summer). She was too busy for that shit in the 1960s, and in the 70s, Dusty's name had little commercial value.

by Anonymousreply 110July 25, 2021 7:57 PM

Ping ping ping

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 26, 2021 12:53 AM

^ Forgot how much I love Anne Murray's voice

by Anonymousreply 112July 26, 2021 1:03 AM

R111 how cute, the two of them doing Swinging 60s London favorites. It’s striking how comparatively more powerful Anne’s voice is at this point. I always thought of her as a very mellow singer. I don’t know much about her, but assume she didn’t drink and drug.

by Anonymousreply 113July 26, 2021 1:04 AM

Anne Murray never had any drug or booze issues. I do think she smoked for years, though.

by Anonymousreply 114July 26, 2021 1:37 AM

R105 I'm not sure if that's the documentary I loved.....there was one that the Ovation cable network used to play often that was wonderful.

There's also one that features Dusty herself being interviewed, with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders interviewing her......not as comprehensive or insightful, but can be fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 115July 26, 2021 12:10 PM

Atlantic tried to repeat the Dusty in Memphis formula a few times - send a white singer down to Memphis or Muscle Schoals with Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, and Arif Mardin and hope for magic. Cher's 3614 Jackson Highway, Lulu's New Routes, Jackie DeShannon's Jackie. Even Petula Clark tried it with the creatively titled Memphis when her 60s hits had dried up. But they mostly just demonstrated what an unrepeatable, sui generis masterpiece Dusty's album is.

by Anonymousreply 116July 26, 2021 2:15 PM

"Nothing Has Been Proved" - Dusty Springfield

This is a great song from the 1989 movie "Scandal", an account of the Profumo affair, a famous British political scandal in 1963.

The song was written and produced by Pet Shop Boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 27, 2021 11:00 AM

I liked In Private more than Nothing Has Been Proved (from the same “Reputation” album). It was very atmospheric in the clubs, and I remember catching some great buzzes on the dance floor with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 28, 2021 12:51 AM

Boy, 1960s dusty and 1980s Dusty seem like two different artists to me. Both soulful, but the look and sound quite different. Or the same, but twisted. I can’t really explain.

Today I had lunch with a woman friend and “the look of love” came on in the background so I mentioned Dusty and my friend didn’t even know who she was. This is a 60-year-old educated, reasonably sophisticated woman. I couldn’t believe it. How do you miss Dusty Springfield?

by Anonymousreply 119July 28, 2021 1:01 AM

R119, Do the math. Sixty years old means born in 1961. Teen-ager in 1974. Different Pop music.

by Anonymousreply 120July 28, 2021 1:14 AM

R120 I’m her contemporary. I was aware of Dusty as a kid in the 60s, she had many hits on the radio. She may have sat out the 70s, but was back in the 80s with the Pet Shop Boys. And then had a little resurgence after Pulp Fiction in the 90s. I maintain it’s shocking for a boomer never to have heard of Dusty Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 121July 28, 2021 1:19 AM

I just had a memory out of nowhere. When I was a kid in the late 60s, the local discount department store had a little cafeteria and by the door there were a couple of vending machines. One had Pez dispensers, and another offered black and white photos of singing stars, printed on thick paper with little bios on the back. I started collecting them even though I didn’t know who half of them were as artists. I remember I had Marianne Faithfull and I thought her lips looked weird. I had Carla Thomas. And I had Dusty – it was this portrait, I remember it clear as day, she was so striking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 28, 2021 1:52 AM

quote]I was aware of Dusty as a kid in the 60s, she had many hits on the radio

A kid? Young, yes, not kid. She was in her twenties.

by Anonymousreply 123July 28, 2021 1:53 AM

R123 Me. I was the kid.

by Anonymousreply 124July 28, 2021 1:56 AM

R122 here. I google imaged and found the Marianne Faithfull souvenir photo I had, in which I thought she had weird lips. Funny how the memory of a single image can endure for decades..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 28, 2021 2:06 AM

I forgot about Dusty's collaboration with Richard Carpenter. I liked it. She really had a haunting quality in her voice, especially in The Look Of Love and Windmills Of Your Mind.

by Anonymousreply 126July 28, 2021 3:25 AM

r125 London Records used that photo for her first US album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 28, 2021 3:30 AM

R127 Today I see it is of course a gorgeous photo. But as a youngster, I found it strange somehow. Close and intimate instead of posed the way celebrity portraits had mostly been up to then. The culture was changing.

by Anonymousreply 128July 28, 2021 4:24 AM

I was a 16-year-old high school student when that song came out, r32. I didn't know who Dusty Springfield was at the time. I bought the 45 single, and they used a black-and-white photo of her on the cover. I remember spending an entire afternoon at the public library researching her music, and that's when I became a fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 28, 2021 11:27 AM

R119 here, I just remembered this woman friend of mine who didn’t know who Dusty Springfield was also has never seen Chinatown. Whew.

by Anonymousreply 130July 29, 2021 2:40 AM

I loved her music once I discovered it, but I didn't know who Dusty was until the PSB single, and I was 18ish years old when it was released.

I might have heard I Only Want To Be With You on an oldies station a few times but really knew nothing else of her catalog until later.

by Anonymousreply 131July 29, 2021 3:56 AM

In the US, Dusty was mainly known for Son of a Preacher Man. At the time, I didn't care for her breathy singing voice. Although I liked big hair and big make-up, Dusty's over the top version was overwhelming. And when I saw her on the Burt Bacharach TV special singing the same song Streisand had sung when she was on (A House is Not a Home), I went ewww.

It was only years later that I listened to and appreciated Dusty's music, probably after her death. That's why some older people "don't know" Dusty. Here, it was that one song.

by Anonymousreply 132July 29, 2021 1:37 PM

[quote]In the US, Dusty was mainly known for Son of a Preacher Man.

She was first known for these hit singles: "I Only Want to Be with You," "Stay Awhile," "Wishin' and Hopin'," and "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 29, 2021 1:56 PM

Wasn't her cover of "Windmills of Your Mind" a moderate US hit for her as well?

by Anonymousreply 134July 29, 2021 2:12 PM

R133, in the United States, those songs were not huge hits.

by Anonymousreply 135July 29, 2021 3:17 PM

She also had "The Look of Love," which was a Bond theme (from a non-canon film, admittedly).

I discovered Dusty in Memphis in my dad's record collection after her comeback hit with the Pet Shop Boys and became moderately obsessed with it. Just one great song after another.

by Anonymousreply 136July 29, 2021 3:26 PM

I don't know where you lived, r135, but they were hits in New York, especially IOWTBWY, which was top ten for weeks in January and February 1964, and was #48 for that year. YDHTSYLM was #53 for 1966.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 29, 2021 3:33 PM

I only listened to WABC and WMCA, 1966 on

by Anonymousreply 138July 29, 2021 7:20 PM

R132/r135, you need to have a look at some billboard charts. Dusty’s biggest hit in the US was BY FAR You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me, peaking at #2, followed by Wishin’ and Hopin’ and IOWBWY. Son of a Preacher Man - the product of a critically acclaimed but flop album - was distantly behind … until it was featured in Pulp Fiction decades later. Even The Look of Love (featured in multiple movies) fared better.

by Anonymousreply 139July 30, 2021 9:39 AM

Oops that should be peaking at #4, not 2

by Anonymousreply 140July 30, 2021 9:41 AM

[quote] Son of a Preacher Man - the product of a critically acclaimed but flop album - was distantly behind … until it was featured in Pulp Fiction decades later.

I checked and "Son of a Preacher Man" was in the top 20 of Billboard's Hot 100 all throughout the month of January 1969, rising at its highest point to #10. It was not as big a hit, I guess, but it doesn't seem like it's fair to say it was distantly behind either.

by Anonymousreply 141July 30, 2021 11:28 AM

from a nearby thread, Miss Warwick on Dusty:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 30, 2021 11:45 AM

I love Dusty but never cared for two of her most popular hits, both narrative songs that told a story: ‘Son Of A Preacher Man’ and ‘Laura and Willie May Jones”. I tend to skip these when listening to her greatest hits collection.

by Anonymousreply 143July 30, 2021 2:27 PM

A good song stylist- distinct. But I would never put her in the category of Aretha, Barbra and Judy. Their expressiveness , musicianship and the beauty and power of their voices really set them apart.

by Anonymousreply 144July 30, 2021 3:06 PM

Funny, R144 I respectfully would say the exact opposite. For me, Dusty has more of all that than those others, and it's subtler and more natural.

by Anonymousreply 145July 30, 2021 3:08 PM

Dionne trying to be nice in the beginning before her Hatin Ass Bitch vibe returns to throw shade on Wishin' and Hopin'.

by Anonymousreply 146July 30, 2021 10:15 PM

[quote] I love Dusty but never cared for two of her most popular hits, both narrative songs that told a story: ‘Son Of A Preacher Man’ and ‘Laura and Willie May Jones”.

Don't know if you're in the UK but Laura and Willie Mae Jones was not a hit in the US, it was a pretty much forgotten song here until it was released on some compilations and/or as a bonus track on various records.

by Anonymousreply 147July 30, 2021 10:17 PM

And you know that's gooooood.

by Anonymousreply 148July 30, 2021 10:31 PM

This is such a perfect comparison of so much of Dusty's material....

Some bordering on twee - and then, on a dime, she can turn it around and get DOWN, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 31, 2021 1:38 PM

Thanks for that R149. That's a great clip I never saw before.

by Anonymousreply 150July 31, 2021 9:23 PM

Anyone else remember this?

Dusty Springfied commercial for "Great Shakes".

The Who, The Yardbirds, The Tokens, Spencer Davis Group, Aretha, The Box Tops, The Chiffons....all did their versions of this jingle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 31, 2021 9:43 PM

speaking of commercial jingles.....

It's the bread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 31, 2021 10:02 PM

Is anybody up? I want to talk about Dusty.

by Anonymousreply 153August 21, 2021 4:23 AM

What a singer. How could any f her lovers have hit her? She was Dusty fucking Springfield!

by Anonymousreply 154August 21, 2021 4:48 AM

Here she is singing with Toni Tennille. I wonder if dusty ate Tennille's snatch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 18, 2021 2:39 AM

Animated Dusty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2021 7:48 AM

I have always been a fan and she seemed like a real lovely woman . She was a sweetheart to unknown Sheena Easton in this clip ,unlike that cunt Lulu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2021 8:38 AM

This is fun - several of her specials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2021 10:42 AM

As a kid I thought she was the height of glamour. Still do. Women singers in those days didn’t feel the need to wear leotards on stage. And she was a great great singer.

by Anonymousreply 159November 20, 2021 10:50 AM

^ I'll blow you now.

by Anonymousreply 160November 23, 2021 9:01 PM

Showing her Irish roots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161November 23, 2021 9:32 PM

Some Disco Dusty. Wish she had recorded a studio version of "At Midnight". Think she only ever did it live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 23, 2021 9:43 PM

Presenting her pussy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 23, 2021 9:56 PM

Northern soul diva

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164November 24, 2021 9:13 AM

One last blast of pop melodrama from London's swinging 60s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 24, 2021 1:41 PM

She slapped Buddy Rich's toupee off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 27, 2021 2:51 AM

She was born this way! (before Gaga)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 3, 2021 7:33 AM

And that track was produced by Dan Hartman. Twas a gay ol' time!

by Anonymousreply 168December 3, 2021 7:38 AM

What did Lulu say that was bad, r157?

by Anonymousreply 169December 3, 2021 7:39 AM

What fucking compilation of Dusty's has Willie and Laura Mae Jones on it? It must be one of the multi disc ones.

by Anonymousreply 170December 3, 2021 7:41 AM

[Quote] and believed she needed to be closeted for the sake of her career

And yet she came out as bisexual in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 171December 3, 2021 7:46 AM

Here is the song she did for The Six Million Dollar Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 9, 2022 6:40 AM

R144 Dusty is much more than a song stylist. Her expressiveness, musicianship and the beauty and power of her voice really set her apart. Her Son of a Preacher Man is superior to Franklin's as is I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face (even if Franklin wrote it, Dusty's vocals are more sophisticated). As for Streisand, I can’t think of a single example where her version comes even close to the quality of Springfield's. If You Go Away, Just a Little Lovin', Windmills of Your Mind, My Coloring Book, I Think It's Going to Rain Today - Streisand delivers fustian covers of Dusty's definitive takes.

by Anonymousreply 173March 3, 2022 5:14 PM

R144 is the ancient crone known as charlie. Judy, Aretha, Barbara. He's a broken record. RIP.

Excellent post, R173. I see no lies.

by Anonymousreply 174March 3, 2022 7:12 PM

Bump. Is that Gemma Arterton movie happening? Seems to have disappeared.

Fantasy casting: Katrina Leskanich of the Waves, in her youth, could have played Dusty. Big voice and similar facial look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 26, 2022 10:47 AM

:-(

The world NEEDS a Dusty movie. For real.

by Anonymousreply 176March 26, 2022 10:54 AM

Apparently she was living in a motel when the Pet Shop Boys called.

by Anonymousreply 177March 26, 2022 10:54 AM

^ I've always loved the PSB for that. Gay heroes.

by Anonymousreply 178March 26, 2022 10:57 AM

Not to take away from any of our favorite ladies, but - Dusty could sing everything Aretha, Barbra, Judy etc could sing. But could they sing THIS and not sound ridiculous? Certainly it could have been pulled off by Connie Francis, who I think is quite underrated. Anyway, an incredible performance from Dusty:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 26, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote] I still prefer Dionne's "A House Is Not A Home" but Dusty does a fine job with it. (And don't bring up the the godawful, vulgar Luther Van Dross monstrosity. The oversinging, the tacky vocal gymnastics and the complete lack of any understanding of the lyric on top of the vocal showboating used to make me want to throw a pie in his fat face.)

Warwick and Bacharach have both lauded Vandross' recording of "A House Is Not A Home." Dionne called his version "definitive" and that is no small compliment from one of the greatest interpreters in popular music. Luther's live performances were even better than the recording. He obviously had a keen understanding of the lyric and it made his performance transcendent. It's a shame his longing and misery is not refined enough for your tastes.

by Anonymousreply 180March 26, 2022 2:34 PM

Dusty has the best recording of "Sunny"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 26, 2022 2:39 PM

That is a good jazzy “sunny.” I don’t really like the other versions of the song but this is groovy. Dusty had a huge catalog, so many songs I’m still discovering.

by Anonymousreply 182March 26, 2022 3:21 PM

I also recently compared her version of “where am I going” to Streisand’s, playing them back to back. Both good but there is just that wistful, plaintive quality to Dusty's voice that gives her the edge.

by Anonymousreply 183March 26, 2022 3:23 PM

R179 I agree. Connie could have done a fantastic job with this song. Connie knew how to interpret songs.

by Anonymousreply 184March 27, 2022 3:20 AM

I'm as big a Dusty fan as they come, but I just listened to both her and Janis Ian's "In the Winter." People always say Dusty bests Janis on it, and of course Dusty's version is exquisite, but I'm gonna give the edge to Janis. Something just a little more plaintive in her interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 185April 9, 2022 1:43 PM

I notice I also used the word "plaintive" in my comment at R183. I guess it's a quality I like in a voice.

by Anonymousreply 186April 9, 2022 1:45 PM

Unfortunately, she had to do the video of Pet Shop Boys “What Have I Done To Deserve This” where the 80s fashion of big hair and big shoulders did her no favors. And her hand movements are distracting. While her vocals are good, the visuals are a sad ending to a great career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 9, 2022 1:51 PM

R179 Here's the other Italian ballad that Dusty performed at San Remo - love the raw power of her early vocals!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 18, 2022 1:26 PM

She later recorded it in English - slower tempo and smoother, more polished delivery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 18, 2022 1:28 PM

Thanks for that, R188. I'm intrigued by Dusty's interest in I guess what you would today call "world music." The Springfields did all that "wimomeh" and "one note samba" type stuff. Here and there in her songs she does little snippets of accents and impressions, so good.

by Anonymousreply 190April 18, 2022 4:23 PM

All right, I hesitate to post this because I adore Dusty but I figure this is the place to discuss it. I’ve always been fascinated by the fact that Dusty’s brother Tom co-wrote “Georgy Girl” and produced the record by Judith Durham and the seekers. I always thought Dusty could easily have sung it, although Judith’s lovely soprano was perfect. I even read somewhere that Tom might have been building Judith up as a sort of rival to Dusty, since they didn’t have the best brother-sister relationship. In any case I loved that these two siblings practically created the swinging 60s London sound. Anyhow, last night for the heck of it I googled “Dusty Springfield Georgy girl“ and came up with this. Personally I was a little shocked. I never thought Dusty could actually be bad but to me she is here. It made me wonder if it was some sort of subconscious undermining of her brother’s song. Of course the arrangement and sound quality also both stink. What say you, fellow Dust Fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191August 12, 2022 2:15 AM

^^ Yep, it's a shocking performance. I think she'd started drinking by this time and seems out of it here - throwing her arms around to distract. But almost all of her other live vocals are flawless and magical.

by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2022 8:10 PM

This also from 1970 is a perfect delivery of a more demanding song, so hard to know what was going on with ‘Georgy Girl’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2022 8:15 PM

FABULOUS, R193.

Perfect delivery, and THAT WIG!!!

by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2022 8:47 PM

I do think "Georgy Girl" is a song that's meant to be peppy, and Dusty would have sounded great doing it that way (a la "I Only Want to Be With You"), but she probably didn't want the comparison to Judith Durham. I get that, but making it a ballad was a terrible idea.

by Anonymousreply 195August 23, 2022 2:20 AM

R194 Higher the hair, closer to heaven ;)

by Anonymousreply 196August 23, 2022 5:25 PM

R191 Talking of Tom Springfield, I've always liked Dusty's live version of ‘Two Brothers’ (composed by Tom) on her BBC show in 1967. Haunting quality to her voice. Apparently this song is about the American Civil War - Dusty was a big US history buff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 23, 2022 5:44 PM

^^ Oops, completely wrong, Two Brothers wasn’t composed by Tom but it was on an early Springfields album. Maybe I was thinking of The Olive Tree which Tom wrote for Judith Durham and which Dusty sang on one of her other BBC shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 23, 2022 6:09 PM

I am American. My introduction to Dusty was in high school @1983 when Polygram sent a promo copy of "White Heat" to be reviewed for our school newspaper. I was so surprised when I discovered the rest of her catalog years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 24, 2022 3:23 AM

Both Judith and Tom Springfield died in the last month.

by Anonymousreply 200August 24, 2022 3:26 AM

[quote] Coco Peru has stolen every bit of Dusty Springfield’s persona.

She didn't "steal." It is an homage.

by Anonymousreply 201August 24, 2022 3:27 AM

That appearance with Burt where she sings A House Is Not a Home is

F

L

A

W

L

E

S

S

by Anonymousreply 202August 24, 2022 3:30 AM

Tom died?? Aw.

by Anonymousreply 203August 24, 2022 5:59 AM

RIP Tom Springfield. He wrote some great songs. This I think was his last duet with Dusty...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 24, 2022 9:17 AM

News of Tom's death took a while to reach the public.....he was a private man in later years, from what I understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205September 2, 2022 12:49 AM

I loved this on Tom's last solo album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 2, 2022 12:50 AM

Dusty's souped up cover of "Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone" with a trippy, Lichtenstein inspired video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 3, 2022 1:42 AM

Dusty's cover of Baby Washington's soul cover of Sarah Vaughn's jazz number "Doodlin'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 3, 2022 2:00 AM

@R207

that's FANTABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 209September 3, 2022 10:50 AM

“Fantabulous” never really caught on, did it. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 210September 3, 2022 11:42 AM

I know who could play Dusty in a biopic - me, Mrs. Rod Stewart, PC Penny Lancaster! Just put me in a beehive, I've got the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 13, 2022 11:17 PM

Cher admired Dusty Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 212September 13, 2022 11:22 PM

Fabulous. She also didn’t wear a fucking leather leotard cut up to the wazoo during her performances, which seems compulsory for today’s female singers. Yeah, I know, old fogey but empowering my ass.

by Anonymousreply 213September 13, 2022 11:22 PM

Dusty performed in a concert and Princess Margaret was in attendance, in the Royal box. Dusty loved her gay male fans, who were quite vocal with their adulation. She said she it's "nice to see "royalty" isn't confined to the box." They howled with laughter and applause. The royalty reference was code word for "queen."

Princess Margaret wasn't amused, of course. She sent Dusty a letter which demanded an apology, with her signature. Dusty complied. I wish I could see that letter.

by Anonymousreply 214September 13, 2022 11:51 PM

Eugh, humorless royals are the worst. Imagine actually being the kind of person who sends that kind of letter.

by Anonymousreply 215September 13, 2022 11:55 PM

Dusty also randomly made out with Adam Clayton of U2 after an LA dinner. Clayton must have quite the dance card. I remember he was engaged to Naomi Campbell at one point.

by Anonymousreply 216September 13, 2022 11:58 PM

I'll just repeat that I always said, "No, Dusty, no. Not my gig, baby," when she'd make the moves in her dressing room.

What a doll.

In a fucking valley of them.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 217September 14, 2022 12:05 AM

R24 classic Hateretha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 14, 2022 11:22 AM

Wow, R214.

I'd have told Margaret to stick a firecracker up her bitter old cunt, but Dusty was prolly too classy for that.

by Anonymousreply 219September 14, 2022 11:27 AM

Miss Warwick, don't front. You know you weren't her type.

She liked those little mocha skinned lovelies like Norma Tanega.

by Anonymousreply 220September 14, 2022 6:29 PM

Dee Dee Warwick attended Dusty's residency with Buddy Rich. Maybe they got down.

by Anonymousreply 221September 14, 2022 6:30 PM

I told that bitch NO.

by Anonymousreply 222September 14, 2022 6:33 PM

This is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223October 11, 2022 6:24 PM

^ yes, it is.

by Anonymousreply 224October 11, 2022 9:50 PM

Just stumbled on this article, an excerpt from Anne Murray's 2009 memoir. I never knew this story: A ladies' room come-on! Face scratching! Fran Lebowitz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 30, 2022 2:49 AM

Eerily sounding just like the young Michael Jackson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226November 14, 2022 8:34 PM

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 15, 2022 7:21 PM

I read three Dusty biographies recently. It was mentioned that Dusty lost her lez viriginity while playing a stint at the Brooklyn Fox on Murray The K's package bill. It was stated that the other woman was a female singer who was alson on the bill. The obvious answer is Martha Reeves but of course the "Dusty told me her woes and fell asleep in my bed" story was also told. Was Estelle Bennett into women?

by Anonymousreply 228February 6, 2023 6:08 PM

Btw, one of the biographies mentioned that Princess Margaret repeatedly invited Dusty to visit her on Mustique, provided Dusty arrived alone...

by Anonymousreply 229February 6, 2023 6:10 PM

It was ironic that one of the (seemlingly) two people who could be replied upon to get Dusty in check was Tom Springfield's partner Peppi Borza. I can't quite imagine why Peppi dragged up as Dusty at Christmas and performed for the O'Brien clan. Apparently, Dusty got a kick out of it.

by Anonymousreply 230February 6, 2023 6:13 PM

R228 Martha Reeves is gay?

by Anonymousreply 231February 6, 2023 6:24 PM

I didn't know her brother was also gay

by Anonymousreply 232February 6, 2023 6:24 PM

I don't know, r231. Martha did have her own pills 'n' breakdown in the latter part of the 1960s, so something was going on with her too. Maybe just career woes.

by Anonymousreply 233February 6, 2023 6:29 PM

Mike Hurst, the second "third" member in The Springfields, didn't even know that Tom and Dusty were gay until a plumber told him about Dusty and her roommate. I can't remember how he learned about Tom.

Dusty's trip to Rio with Madeline Bell and Martha Reeves also had Tom and Peppi along for the ride, though reportedly, they were two separate groups when it came time to party....

by Anonymousreply 234February 6, 2023 6:32 PM

When Dusty was dying, she received letters, notes, faxes etc. from people. She wrote back to Mike Hurst, for instance. She did not engage Martha Reeves, who also tried to contact her. One of the books had a quote about Martha and Dusty meeting, I think, in the late 1980s. The quote was from Dusty and referenced that Martha fixed her with a look of disapproval. If Dusty was high, I could understand, but maybe it was something else. If Martha is ex-gay or something, the book may have something to do with that.

I was surprised to read that Dusty's longterm LA lover, Sue Cameron, married a man not long after leaving Dusty. The marriage didn't last. I was also surprised to learn that Madeline Bell has been married twice to men, the second time for many years. She's now a widow.

by Anonymousreply 235February 6, 2023 6:37 PM

Dusty and Peppi. Doesn't she look like Lady Penelope? And he could be Sal Mineo in Who Killed Teddy Bear?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236February 6, 2023 6:39 PM

R235 Why were you surprised that Madeline Bell was married twice?

by Anonymousreply 237February 6, 2023 7:18 PM

Because she has always given me big lez energy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238February 6, 2023 7:26 PM

[Quote] In 1967, Martha married a man named Wiley in Las Vegas, after a nine-month affair. The marriage soon ended in divorce. After a short romance with a man named Gerald, Martha gave birth to a son named Eric in November 1970. In the early 1970s, her second marriage to Willie Dee, was also met with divorce soon after.

by Anonymousreply 239February 6, 2023 8:30 PM

Beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240February 11, 2023 6:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!