Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mena Suvari opens up about her life pre-MeToo, speaking about being raped at 12 YO and using meth to cope w/ trauma

She’s speaking about how men took advantage of her pre-MeToo.

“She tells a story that is harrowing from the outset: At age 12, she writes, she was raped by her brother’s friend. After she moved to L.A. as a teenager, a photographer took — and kept, she alleges — naked underage snapshots of her. She writes that when she was 16, one of her representatives — 20 years her senior — would have sex with her and then remind her to learn her lines or brush her hair before an audition. She contracted herpes, she says.

She got married and divorced twice — first, when she was 21, to Robert Brinkmann, a 37-year old cinematographer she met during a movie shoot. Ten years later, she married Simone Sestito, an Italian concert promoter who, she claims, bled her financially and got physical with her during heated arguments. (In a statement, Sestito denied Suvari’s allegations: “It’s very sad and disheartening that Mena would have to make up lies about me to try and sell her story; it’s a disservice both to herself and real victims of abuse.”)

Suvari says she numbed her problems with marijuana and, at one point, meth. She grew critical of her body, getting breast implants only to have them surgically removed years later because they embarrassed her.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2021 12:39 PM

She’s a mess but I don’t believe she ever did meth.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 10:28 PM

She gets awful testy when asked about Miss Spacey

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2021 10:49 PM

When did she have breasts? She was always kind of flat and hippy (though still exquisite looking)? Anyway. I will always like her. Same age as me and she was beautifully directed in American Beauty. A long string of cult like films. Of course I think she could good work in smaller films. Comedy isn’t great for her.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2021 11:24 PM

What’s she gonna have to say about KC? He was probably nice to her in their scenes 22+ years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2021 11:25 PM

So was she method acting in Spun?

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2021 11:43 PM

[Quote] it’s a disservice both to herself and real victims of abuse.”)

Oh fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 3:57 PM

She tells a weird story about Spacey holding her while they were laying on a bed that honestly doesn't make any sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 4:03 PM

R1 Why? Who lies about doing meth?

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2021 12:08 AM

Wasn't it rumored that she was in a sub role in a BDSM relationship with the first husband?

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2021 12:30 AM

Ooh, please spill. I met her first husband briefly.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2021 12:44 AM

R10 - I read it here on DL in the early aughts and can't remember any details if they were given. Her appearance looked frail in some pap shots and she had a shaved head when someone brought up it up. I hope someone can enlighten.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2021 12:50 AM

What does she do for money? How does she pay rent not working all these years? Has it been ten years since she’s been in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2021 1:12 AM

She works a lot, just in B films.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2021 1:14 AM

She got the lead in Loser because the studio rejected Amy Heckerling's first choice Natasha Lyonne, who was a crackhead at that time. It's actually a decent little film, with a charming cast, good soundtrack, and thoughtful script. Didn't deserve the trashing it got. ,

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2021 2:04 AM

Loved her in Mighty Aphrodite!

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2021 2:08 AM

Her story about Spacey is made up. He would never want to fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2021 2:13 AM

R14 is a teenage dirtbag baby.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2021 5:36 AM

That's odd. Most people use meth to get high.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2021 5:48 AM

R16 She didn't say he did.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2021 12:35 PM

R19, The implication is there. Why else would she even share it?

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2021 7:46 PM

Do actors promote movies anymore of simply use the press as their therapists?

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2021 7:47 PM

Every casting director to lighting guy to set janitor has been inside that tiny little strung out cunt. The only guys who didn't take a turn were the hair stylists and set designers, though she once got fingered by one of them as well at a movie wrap party. She's freaky in every way you'd think and I can assure you has most definitely smoked meth before

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2021 8:04 PM

Do you actually know her R22? Tell us more!

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2021 8:32 PM

For a while she was hot as the young Natalie Schafer.

Then she disappeared after her meager talents ran out.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2021 8:37 PM

She sounds like just another fucking Hollywood trainwreck and I couldn't bear to read the rest of the article beyond what's cut and pasted. She's completely uninteresting and if one removes movies from the equation this could be the story of multitudes of other cheap tramps across the nation and the globe.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2021 8:51 PM

She sounds borderline

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2021 8:54 PM

Being raped at 12 sounds pretty heavy duty. I can't really fault her for bad choices after that.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2021 8:55 PM

[R27] Don't simply assume that she's telling the truth. She's an actress and therefore probably a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2021 8:57 PM

R28 True, never date an actor.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2021 9:01 PM

Always thought she had Down's syndrome face.

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2021 9:08 PM

I wonder how worn out her pussy is from getting fucked by all that industry dick. How many trains has she participated in?

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2021 9:09 PM

Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end!

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2021 9:10 PM

[R30] Mena and Christina Ricci both share that "creepy little girl" look that was popular in the '90's. It's kind of a mixture of the Tim Burton aesthetic and the aesthetic of painter Mark Ryden (who used Ricci as a model).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2021 9:11 PM

Here's another one....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2021 9:12 PM

She was in Nicole brown Simpson

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2021 9:17 PM

I don't blame her for getting implants, she's bottom heavy and they probably evened her out. Surprised she got them removed.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2021 9:18 PM

She is friends with a college friend of mine - who is married to Jennifer Lynch (David Lynch’s daughter)

I have not met her. But she comes across as vegan airhead craaazy on my friend’s IG.

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] Always thought she had Down's syndrome face.

She has never been hot or pretty. She was always very weird looking.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2021 10:30 PM

She sound stupid.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2021 10:32 PM

Was this her slave phase?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote] Her story about Spacey is made up. He would never want to fuck her.

That’s what happens to accusations once someone comes out. It all comes tumbling down. Bill Cosby and Bryan Singer should consider coming out too.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2021 10:40 PM

sucks that she is giving all this info away in interviews. she should write a book at least she'd make money off the sales.

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2021 10:44 PM

Here's the previous DL thread that mentions her sub relationship. It wasn't as long ago as I thought. Not much information at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2021 10:57 PM

The Spacey part is unclear, thin and a forced name-drop. Ain't nothing there of substance. She was just on The View. At 6:52, they ask her about Spacey. Uhhhhh .... what? She was very good in American Beauty, though. A funny and vulnerable scene stealer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2021 1:43 AM

Love the landscaping in the OP image!

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2021 2:02 AM

I wonder if Spacey really was trying to fuck her and she felt assaulted at the time but is embarrassed to admit it because he’s famously gay. There were a few females that said he made unwanted advances on them but they were outnumbered by the men.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2021 2:08 AM

She doesn't sound too bright. Single digit IQed wench. The perfect role model for most DLers.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2021 2:25 AM

I just saw her in What Lies Below on Netflix. Freaky sci fi horror film.

by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2021 3:15 AM

I wonder if she wants to make a comeback (better roles)

Don't blame her for trying tbh. We only live once.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2021 4:07 AM

R46 One (and only one) of Spacey's accusers was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2021 11:44 PM

WHAT THE FUCK....? Suvari recalls what she describes as an “odd” encounter with Spacey on the set of the Oscar-winning picture. Before the two actors were set to film an intimate scene, “Kevin took me into a small room with a bed and we laid next to each other, me facing toward him while he held me lightly,” she writes. “Lying there with Kevin was strange and eerie but also calm and peaceful, and as for his gentle caresses, I was so used to being open and eager for affection that it felt good to just be touched. Good and warm. I wasn’t sure if Kevin was interested in me or not. … I didn’t know how far he was going to take it or how I was going to react if he did go there. But he didn’t.” Asked if she now views the encounter differently in light of the numerous men who have since come forward claiming Spacey sexually assaulted them, Suvari grows defensive. “No. What do you mean?” she asks. “I talked about my time on the set of ‘American Beauty,’ so that was just part of my experience. It’s something that I feel so grateful to be a part of, and truly it was feeling lucky to have a job. I felt so connected, like I understood this character of Angela. To have the ability to step outside and be in that space really saved me.” Suvari is still a working actor, appearing in everything from “American Horror Story” to Lifetime movies to an upcoming biopic where she’ll play Ronald Reagan’s first wife, Jane Wyman. Opening up about her past has allowed her to feel “more present” in her acting, she says, no longer “severely uncomfortable” at auditions or meetings. “I have spent so much of my life feeling in the boat alone,” she says. “There were many moments where I felt like I had nowhere to go, like no one would understand. I was too embarrassed, so I stayed in bad situations. I’m sharing my story to help people like that know they don’t have to stay. If I can shave off a summer of suffering for someone, I want to.” Mena Suvari is tired of pretending Actor opens up about past that didn’t jibe with her Hollywood image in memoir Mena Suvari hopes the memoir shattering her saccharine reputation will free her from shame. Lisa O’Connor/Getty-AFP 2019 ‘The Great Peace’ By Amy Kaufman Los Angeles Times

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2021 11:08 AM

R51 It sounds like Spacey was trying to get into character and Suvari was starved for affection.

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2021 11:23 AM

Seriously, what does OP's pic of the LA Times article WANT or tries to FORCE us to believe? She is fresh as a daisy now that her exhaustive life story is revealed? She's just an innocent babe of the woods?

This is why the media is the enemy of the people.

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2021 11:29 AM

I agree that Spacey was doing an acting exercise with her. The movie struck me as idiotic because it required us to see Spacey as obsessed with this young girl and five-head Suvari as infinitely desirable. Neither are talented enough to pull off that illusion. I knew he was gay when the movie came out, thanks to DL. He has never been able to effectively feign sexual interest in a woman on screen.

I don't know why Suvari is unearthing all this stuff if she hasn't done a book.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2021 12:07 PM

R54, the View interview at R44 shows that Mena Suvari is promoting a memoir titled “The Great Peace”. Which explains the recent spate of interviews and magazine profiles in the media for a middle-aged actress who hasn’t been high profile in over twenty years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2021 12:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!