Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you correct your elders when they call Asian people “Orientals?”

My older relatives call them “Orientals,” but they’re sweet as pie southerners and I can’t bring myself to correct them.

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2021 8:39 PM

Why would I? Why would anyone? Do people no longer have the right to express themselves as they want?

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 6:50 PM

Rosie O'Donnell has issued a statement...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2021 6:53 PM

I correct “youngins” when they call me a queer.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2021 6:54 PM

They don't belong here anyway.

No harm, no foul.

Those people really don't fit in.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2021 6:54 PM

Out of hate—(and calling gays queers is always from a place of hate).

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2021 6:55 PM

Ching Chong.

Bing Bong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 6:55 PM

No, I'm fine with it. There's nothing wrong with ti.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 6:56 PM

*it

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 6:57 PM

No, because they're retards. .

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 6:58 PM

I correct *everyone* stating "the word you're looking for is Asian. Oriental refers to a rug."

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 6:58 PM

What about Occidentals?

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 6:58 PM

[quote] I can’t bring myself to correct them.

Tell them, "I'm sorry, but there's Sum Ting Wong with your choice of words."

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 6:59 PM

[quote] I correct *everyone* stating "the word you're looking for is Asian. Oriental refers to a rug."

Nobody fucking cares.

You're the only one.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 7:00 PM

I know Asians who refer to themselves as oriental. Should I correct them?

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 7:00 PM

Op, I'd like to order a bowl of Cream of Sum Yung Gai.

Thanks, doll!

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 7:00 PM

They are Orientals which is from the Latin "oriens", meaning "east". Asians are Indians, Bangalis and Pakistanis, they are completely different and can't be lumped in with Far Eastern people.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 7:00 PM

Oh, the Asian-hating POC DLer is here. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 7:01 PM

I don't "correct" my elders. I respect them and I don't bother them.

Because I'm Asian.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 7:02 PM

Pic your battles OP.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 7:04 PM

Even orientals sing the Ching Chong Song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 7:04 PM

Oriental love to please white master!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2021 7:05 PM

FF this racist asshole OP and his"supportive" sock replies. ENOUGH!

MURIEL: BAN THIS RACIST ASSHOLE!

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2021 7:05 PM

Why can't I see their eyes at R21?

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2021 7:06 PM

This is what happens when you leave the Datalounge page up on the assisted living break room computer.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2021 7:07 PM

Asian-hating POC DLer is triggered. Wah.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2021 7:08 PM

None of you old fucks even know any non-whites

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote]Asians are Indians, Bangalis and Pakistanis, they are completely different and can't be lumped in with Far Eastern people.

Wait, so places like Korea, Japan, China and Vietnam are no longer Asian?

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2021 7:11 PM

r24 wins, close thread.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2021 7:12 PM

OP.

What do you say about this oriental korean guy who refers to another oriental guy?

Is he racist, too?

Rofl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2021 7:18 PM

Asian is kind of a weird thing for everyone to settle on. First, as pointed out, it's kind of vague really. It's a big continent, well beyond East Asia. But second, the whole idea of all these terms is to make people realize that even people that aren't white are real Americans. "Asians" seems to defeat that purpose, basically saying they are really from another continent. I get that it is the term now, and Oriental does sound old and fusty and colonial, but it seems like an odd choice that it is the acceptable word.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2021 7:56 PM

Why not just refer to them by their country of origin?

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2021 7:59 PM

I call them People of Color.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2021 8:03 PM

Eh they will be dead soon anyway.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2021 8:04 PM

R32 everyone is a person of color, beige, orange and white are colors.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2021 8:05 PM

White is a color?

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2021 8:51 PM

"[R32] everyone is a person of color, beige, orange and white are colors."

In the US," person of color" has been used exclusively to mean black.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2021 9:04 PM

You could not be more wrong, if your ass was coming out of your face.

Which, I'm guessing, it probably is.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote]In the US," person of color" has been used exclusively to mean black.

No. Not even. Not ever. You have not been paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2021 9:05 PM

orientals are people of color.

They're yellow.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2021 9:09 PM

There are two things I absolutely HATE: 1. Using racist terms to describe people of Asian descent. 2. Spics.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2021 9:10 PM

If black is a color , white can be as well. I personally have never seen a black person, usually they are different shades of brown..

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2021 9:11 PM

Meh, R40.

Gooks and Spics are pretty much the same.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2021 9:12 PM

The correct terms are: Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Negroid

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote] The correct terms are: Mongoloid

Those people all look "tetched" by Mongoloidism to me.

I can't tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2021 9:15 PM

I got issues with the word "Asian" but I'm gonna guess Mongoloid is not the solution we are all gonna land on.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2021 9:16 PM

“Honey, are you Ornamental?” Little old southern lady says to southern born and bred Chinese-American woman whose accent is same as hers. Anecdote at around the 6:35 mark of the video about Mississippi Delta Chinese Americans. Their southern drawls are so heavy and who wouldn’t like Chinese American food southern style?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2021 9:25 PM

Definitely better than Gooks I would think.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote]orientals are people of color.

[quote]They're yellow.

Tweety Bird yellow?

💛

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2021 9:33 PM

No. Im not participating in NewSpeak.

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2021 9:35 PM

[quote] I correct *everyone* stating "the word you're looking for is Asian. Oriental refers to a rug."

Does correcting people make you feel superior? Why is Oriental worse than Asian? And why is Oriental rug OK?

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2021 9:40 PM

"No. Not even. Not ever. You have not been paying attention."

You must not live in the US. " People of Color" has come to be a euphemism for black.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2021 10:09 PM

POC.

However, it has its limits — and that’s why we need to stop saying “people of color” when we mostly (and sometimes only) mean “Black people.” The public use of the term person of color (POC) seems to have become less about solidarity and instead about lessening negative connotations and implicit anti-Black reactions like fear, scorn, disdain, and apathy. In popular discourse, “POC” is often a shorthand for “This issue affects Black people most directly and disproportionately, but other non-White people are affected, too. So we need to include them for the majority to listen and understand we aren’t talking about a solely Black vs. White issue.” Saying “POC” when we mean “Black people” concedes that there’s a need to describe a marginalized group as “less” Black for people to have empathy for an issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2021 10:12 PM

I prefer oriental for East and southeast Asians. The Caucasoid Indians and Arabs and Jews can have Asian.

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote]Im not participating in NewSpeak.

Hmm, didn't realize "no fats, no femmes, no Asians" was whatever the fuck "NewSpeak" is.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 11:32 PM

My grandma called them "Happy Jappies."

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2021 11:41 PM

How about we just ignore them completely, and not be bothered with them?

That way, it won't ever be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2021 12:01 AM

Far Easterners tan up nicely when they let themselves soak up some sun. It’s when they avoid sun that they take on a sallow look.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2021 12:08 AM

R21-The Asian guy is CUTE.

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2021 12:22 AM

"Far Easterners tan up nicely when they let themselves soak up some sun. It’s when they avoid sun that they take on a sallow look."

A tanned complexion is an indication that you were lower born and worked in the fields. The lighter the complexion meant that you were of a higher class, since you didn't have to go out. This is similar to many cultures.

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote] A tanned complexion is an indication that you were lower born and worked in the fields. The lighter the complexion meant that you were of a higher class, since you didn't have to go out. This is similar to many cultures.

Plus, it's really fucking DUMB.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2021 12:42 AM

It’s exhausting having to teach young people that yes, the word oriental does properly refer to anyone or anything from Asia, especially East Asia.

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2021 1:09 AM

Sucky sucky fucky fucky long time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2021 1:41 AM

My Midwestern family calls them "Chinamen" but they're also racist af so no big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2021 4:00 AM

Yes. A friend of mine lived in Japan and after hearing her correct her mom, I corrected my dad when I heard him say it. It seems like a Boomer thing…I’m a millennial and we never learned Oriental is an acceptable term when referring to Asians.

At the same time, I don’t see how Oriental is considered derogatory.

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2021 4:32 AM

That Asian people/Oriental rug thing was from the first or second season of Real World. The poster upthread is trying to act like he invented it or something.

My (Indian) seven year-old was trying to be up to date when referring to black people the other day and he paused as he tried to remember what exactly they were called that day. I could see the gears turning in his mind as he tried to summon the words.

"Bla...people of....well...I guess colored people."

Of course I told him that he could say people of color but not colored people. He said both people of color and colored people sounded pretty much exactly the same to him and thought he better just stick to saying black people to be on the safe side.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2021 6:27 AM

I remember one time out of nowhere, making some observation to an ex that I was lucky I never had to explain to my parents not use outdated words like that. Then out of nowhere in my late 20s my dad used that word for the first time, I was horrified. LOL I was like where the hell did he pick up that word.

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2021 6:32 AM

[quote] Then it came out that he only had one science class in college

I'm sure they are saddened that you have not bestowed your bountiful wisdom upon them.

by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2021 2:05 PM

I did with my mom. My nephew's wife is chinese and my mom kept saying that orientla girl .... Finally I said - MOM. You can say asian, chinese or how about just that lovely girl. Oriental is a rug not a person.

by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2021 2:19 PM

R64 is correct. There's nothing derogatory about Oriental, it's just a more old fashioned term. That whole "it's only for a rug" meme is bullshit. That's just an excuse used because so many Asians and others continue using the word Oriental in business names.

by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2021 3:25 PM

The phrases you currently use for people of different races will sound quaint and racist when you're old.

by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2021 3:37 PM

Language changes, context matters, and words won't always be heard the same way they are meant. Human language is a living thing, and so this is natural and unavoidable.

Old people are not incapable of understanding this. So long as they don't have severe dementia, then they will be able to cope and also able, with effort, to change, so don't be afraid to tell them.

They might well be horrified to learn that they were offending people without meaning to.

by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote]That Asian people/Oriental rug thing was from the first or second season of Real World.

I remember my 6th grade teacher correcting a classmate with the "Asian people/Oriental rug thing," and this was back in 1980. It was surprising to me because as an Asian-American kid, who had to endure "me Chinese, me play joke" and "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees" taunts throughout the '70s (even though I'm neither Chinese nor Japanese) this was news to me. I was happy with this change because "Oriental" was used to distinguish or even demean me as foreign, exotic, different, and as a kid I just wanted to be treated as part of the gang. "Asian" was fine with me because, like "American," "European," "African," it just described continent of origin.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2021 4:06 PM

I wonder if the people insisting that the old people are incapable of stopping saying 'Oriental' would correct your elders if they said 'light in the loafers', 'fairy' or 'pansy'. What if they said that to you and your husband? Would you keep grinning and taking it all the way through dinner? Hey, they're old and they mean no harm!

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2021 4:09 PM

I remember my brother said “there’s a lot of Orientals here” when dropping me off at college. In 1991.

I corrected him then and will correct now. And it’s not a new thing if I knew this 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] I was happy with this change because "Oriental" was used to distinguish or even demean me as foreign, exotic, different, and as a kid I just wanted to be treated as part of the gang. "Asian" was fine with me because, like "American," "European," "African," it just described continent of origin.

That makes no sense, R72. "Oriental" also just describes the continent of origin. It's no different than "Asian" in that regard, and, in fact, it's more precise, as R30 explained.

If anyone was using Oriental to distinguish or demean you, changing the name to Asian is not going to change that.

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2021 4:27 PM

R73 - I own “light in your loafers.” “pansy,” and “fairie.” Those words can’t hurt…..it’s who we (most of us) are.

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2021 4:30 PM

If we just call everyone “cunts” like civilized people, we wouldn’t have these problems.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2021 4:40 PM

Really, you'd sit opposite an old guy calling you fairy all through dinner and not say anything? Would you use those words yourself to a person younger than you?

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2021 4:44 PM

R75, "Oriental" in itself is harmless and meaningless. It comes from Latin and from the standpoint of Rome, the Orient, meaning east is correct. But if I'm standing in Tokyo, east is the Pacific Ocean and beyond, so, directional terms lack precision. But that's beside the point. "Oriental," in the US, is a loaded word, which has been used in negative ways to demean or devalue people. "Asian" or "East Asian" or "Southeast Asian," however, are neutral geopolitical terms.

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2021 5:00 PM

Asian when referring to a place, oriental when referring to a race.

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2021 8:35 PM

Congratulations, OP! Your shit-stirring trolling has certainly been successful.

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2021 8:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!