Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julia from America’s Test Kitchen

We like her, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2021 4:34 AM

Are her and that other husky blonde... you know... 'that way'?

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 11:39 PM

I like the other one. She seems to have an affinity for NC things. From Ohio? I think. We had Ohio cousins that would come down for summers, holidays, and the beach. Bet she has family from here.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 11:40 PM

They would take back pounds of BBQ and cigarettes!

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 11:48 PM

She represents a form of nonfiction media that’s very clear and engaging. I like her very much because her work on camera never feels performative nor “put on”. She adds some personal responses but not in a cloying, artificial way. It looks like she is a solid, ethical presence in that whole organization, through years Chris Kimball’s oddities and prissiness. She landed on top, and seems to belong there. She is just a really neat, cool, telegenic presence. I like her a lot. Everyone does.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 11:50 PM

That blue shirt is styled so much like Ina that it must be in either homage or shade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 11:55 PM

Dan Souza wrote R4.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 12:11 AM

They were on tv before Ina, pretentious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 12:14 AM

I've always liked ATK, but I find it refreshing with Julia and Bridget as hosts. Chris Kimball was ok enough, but his prissiness as pointed out by R4 was always a bit off-putting.

Ina and ATK and Ina and Chris have always had a mutual respect.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 12:19 AM

They're both (Julia and Bridget) pros but after the rancor and split with Kimball they took on the spotlight, and it is not a great fit. They've improved, but the tendency on the show now to lick lips and "whoa ho" food and call meat "big guy" and act like they need a black cook with them if they're making Southern dishes because otherwise those grits would be appropriated is tedious. At least it's only the three larger women, but the thin white guy who is married is sooooo dry and self-conning.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 12:19 AM

What exactly are they testing?

And why?

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 12:36 AM

R10, Arithmetic, Rose!

durrrrr

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 12:57 AM

To an extent they are, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 1:01 AM

I'm find her and her other female co-host very "Frau"-ey lately. They emote, react and enthuse a little bit too "de trop" for me in recent seasons' episodes.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 1:36 AM

I like the vibe of Kimball's newer separate show he moved onto, also, except for one very good chef he works on in some recipes who, sorry I have to say this, has a voice so intensely vocal-fry annoying and mosquito-tone whining that I need to mute when she's on for fear my ears (or, hers) will start to bleed!

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 1:40 AM

Kimball was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 1:47 AM

R7, Ina Garten was on television four years before either one of these two ladies so you can fuck right off to IMDB.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 2:09 AM

you wish.

2001 vs 2002.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 7:02 AM

Honestly, I quit watching the show after Chris left. Julia is nice, but it just isn’t the same. And I don’t care for Bridget.

Is Adam still on?

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 7:33 AM

Adam is still on doing his product testing and making witty comments - he’s the best!

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 12:16 PM

R19

He also came out on the show. Made mention of "his boyfriend."

I'd love it if the gods would let us have Dan, too, but I'm pretty sure he's straight. Hunky Keith Dresser is also straight.

But we'll take Adam!

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 12:40 PM

Glad Adam finally came out.

I still don’t believe Jack is straight….😒

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2021 12:50 PM

Jack would go nowhere near my dick with those choppers

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2021 1:00 PM

I really like Julia but Bridgett is my fav. She looks like she'd be fun, and she's knowledgeable and easy going.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2021 1:50 PM

Erin McMurrer is the best of the chefs. She always appears to be thoroughly skilled in every aspect of cooking and also slightly annoyed that she has to talk everyone through a recipe when it all ought to be perfectly obvious. She's not nasty about it, but I always feel that doing the recipe for the camera is somehow slowing her down and I like that about her. We get what we need from her, but there's obviously so much more.

Several years ago, when Kimball was still there, they did a show in which they prepared a full evening's formal meal from the first Fanny Farmer Cookbook published in 1896. Erin was in charge of everything and cooked it all on a large wood burning cook stove. It was the only time I've seen her appear to be tested by the task at hand. Of course, she nailed it and ended up liking how the stove cooked.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2021 2:01 PM

Wow, I hate them and their weird ad-libs. The sounds they make when cheese is involved...

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2021 2:10 PM

[quote]At least it's only the three larger women, but the thin white guy who is married is sooooo dry and self-conning.

Who is the think white guy? Dan? Jack? Keith? Bryan?

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2021 2:19 PM

I'm in the U.K., and don't really know these people, but I have seen Lisa McManus's YouTube videos. She's great - thorough and fair.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2021 2:27 PM

Dan Souza is so damn sexy. There is something about him that gets me going!!

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2021 6:57 PM

Is the fat girl with the black rimmed glasses still there? I didn’t care for her.

Didn’t care for the vegetarian lady either.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2021 9:39 PM

I’m watching now on Pluto TV - I love that they have a channel that plays the shows 24/7!

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2021 3:41 PM

Are there no new episodes of Ina Garten?

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2021 3:55 PM

On the episode I saw today about cooking for 2, Julia mentioned her husband Ian. And Bridget has referred to her husband on other episodes. So I guess the answer to R1's question is "NO".

But R20 is right that Adam Reid referred to "my boyfriend" recently, I saw that episode during PBS pledge programming.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2021 8:13 PM

THAT’S RIGHT!!

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote] We like her, right?

Are you able to wipe your own ass, or do you need group help?

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote]On the episode I saw today about cooking for 2, Julia mentioned her husband Ian.

He was on one of the older shows, when Chris used to go visit places outside the studio. He was a butcher or fishmonger, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2021 4:44 AM

just watched an old one. i think julia and kimbal fucked! creepy flirting. ewww

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2021 5:04 AM

Both Julia and Bridget are very talented at simultaneously cooking well, explaining, and being camera-friendly. It's not an easy balance, just look at some YouTube cooks for contrast (or even some of the guest cooks they have). They both just feel natural onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2021 5:29 AM

Does that include US, Julia?

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2021 5:32 AM

Si, si, and us too, mujer?

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2021 5:33 AM

I can't believe Adam is a homosexual!

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2021 8:23 AM

I would have believed Adam was heterosexual before Jack!

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2021 9:42 AM

Yes, I could see Adam with a fat homely wife.

I cannot see Jack sticking it in a woman. Never.

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2021 11:15 AM

Julia and Bridget are totally playing tennis.

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2021 11:35 AM

I’m really, really glad that Julia grew out that unfortunate Rosie O. hairdo she had for a while.

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2021 11:54 AM

R44 Oh, that was a mess!

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2021 1:22 PM

Interesting notes in this page on their website. The "Chinese Take-Out: Revised" one is especially cringe-inducing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2021 2:57 PM

You know who is really good on the show? The Asian woman Lan! Her delivery and skills are on point.

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2021 9:56 AM

I want to direct an episode that has Bryan and Keith spit roasting Dan.

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2021 5:38 PM

Bryan Roof makes me moister than a smoked brisket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2021 5:50 PM

The show has the feel of an infomercial.

Just missing Ron Popeil, the fat lady and her copper cookware.

And dump cakes.

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2021 5:57 PM

ATK and Cook's Country are produced by the same production company. The TV show is the magazine, Cook's Illustrated. The original concept for the magazine and TV shows were built by Chris Kimball.

Kimball's a notoriously difficult to work with and rumor is he's unpleasant, but somehow finds women who want to sleep with him get married. As the company grew, it became part of Boston Common Press. Over time, Kimball was joined on-air by Jack, Bridget, and Julia. I think Adam was added before Kimball was booted from the company in 2015. What happened in 2015 was messy and involved lawyers and a number accusations against Kimball and his latest wife.

For me, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country have gone downhill over the past few years. They are examples of how a low-key, somewhat staid and very caucasian and informative program(s) are now very, very, au courant.

Oh look! the show's are now hosted by two women and they've added a Black woman to the on-air hosts! Ooo, there's a young guy who's got sleeves or tats (edgy, baby, edgy). If there is a caucasian guy on-camera, he seems to be very asexual - except for Keith Dresser.

At this point the programs have morphed into the Bridget and Julia hours, have lost their earlier style of explaining how to cook well. The recipes, for me, feel very suburban and (yes) frau-driven. And look at how the sets are more and more "homey." We even have Julia making "yummy" noises and sounds when preparing or eating food - ick; leave that kind of behavior to the ever-larger David Venable on QVC.

I'm not a big fan of Kimball's new program "Milk Street" either, but that's because I think he has a schtick he's cultivated over the years and I'm tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2021 6:11 PM

[quote]For me, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country have gone downhill over the past few years. They are examples of how a low-key, somewhat staid and very caucasian and informative program(s) are now very, very, au courant.

I agree. I quit watching it after Kimball left. The chemistry just wasn’t the same anymore. And I also don’t like his new show.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2021 6:14 PM

I don't like the fucking color-sucking filters used on the video shot for Milk Street. Who chose that look? Fire him or her.

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2021 6:18 PM

I disagree R51. There have been a few slightly clunky sops to "diversity" but I actually appreciate that this show has mostly maintained it's comforting caucasian naffness, I would perhaps be less positive about it if the recipe didn't stand up (they do, although I admit the white people dishes unsurprisingly stand up most and I wouldn't go to ATK for a Sichuan recipe, for example) or if the equipment reviews were shit but they're not. I have yet to purchase a kitchen gadget recommended by ATK that didn't bear out its high marks from Lisa.

Either way, i MUCH prefer ATK to whatever the fuck terrible, embarrassing fuckery Bon Appetit became before it exploded in controversy and became whatever even more terrible embarrassing fuckery it is now.

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote]ATK and Cook's Country are produced by the same production company. The TV show is the magazine, Cook's Illustrated. The original concept for the magazine and TV shows were built by Chris Kimball.

Cook's Country is a magazine as well. I've subscribed to both of them for years.

And speaking of CC -- is there a new season? Now that the current season of ATK has finished, I'm expecting CC (they usually alternate.) But I can't find anything about a new season of Cook's Country.

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2021 6:30 PM

One of the men on this show is hot. Midwestern DILF hot. Not sure of his name and don't see him often but he's kind of breadth-y (and prone to wearing fitted l/s shirts) and I approve.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2021 6:37 PM

Julia's husband IS a fisherman, as R35 thought.

Dan Souza, years ago when he wasn't as prominent on ATK, used to do Moth Story Slams in Boston. A different look and demeanor. Still hot as blazes.

Dan Souza and Bryan Roof are best friends. Or, at least they were at one time.

I think Bryan Roof got divorced; he no longer wears a wedding ring and last time I looked, he only mentions his kids in social media and no longer mentions his wife.

Keith Dresser is the third in the Hot as Blazes ATK Triumvirate. (Dan and Bryan are the others in case you haven't been following along.)

I'd do Adam also. Of course, as far as we know, he's the only gay one.

I'm not sure why or how I know these things; maybe I'm obsessed or maybe I have a sad life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2021 6:53 PM

The "audience" on ATK is so obviously fake. They're all paid stand-ins, just like they do on other shows like Judge Judy. They're always cutting to shots of them gleefully smiling and clapping and nodding their heads in approval, endearingly glancing at each other... It's so corny.

Becky Hays is so high strung, I'm always waiting for her to just snap and stab one of the other cast members in a psychotic rage.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2021 7:25 PM

R58

The audience you speak of is a selected group of people that are assembled to do food "taste tests". There is no studio audience as we generally think of.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2021 7:31 PM

[quote]Keith Dresser is the third in the Hot as Blazes ATK Triumvirate. (Dan and Bryan are the others in case you haven't been following along.)

I think Lawman Johnson (who the hell gave him that name?) is pretty hot, except for the tats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2021 7:36 PM

I’d love to blow Bryan.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote] The show has the feel of an infomercial.

Yes! All the "dialogue" sounds canned, like a Cathy Mitchell (SnackMaster) presentation. The audience does seem like a paid group of extras.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2021 8:58 PM

Chris Kimball was known to cough while eating paprika or anything remotely hot and spicy. I saw a new presentation (Milk Street?) where he's with someone who's preparing something with chili peppers. Did Chris Kimball taste the product? No. He's standing there acting unbothered.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2021 8:59 PM

I just like a cooking show where they're not screaming and crying. Cooking shouldn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2021 9:18 PM

I could not stand christopher kimball - what an enormous ego - i was so glad when he left, that's when I started watching it again

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2021 12:39 AM

Christopher Kimball added the necessary knowledgeable commentary and skepticism the show needed. I agree Bridget and Julia are too self-congratulatory and make too many ooh and ahh noises. I still watch them on YouTube as I still like a lot of their recipes and techniques. It was better with CK. However, this aversion to diversity is just what it sounds like. Lan and Elle are both excellent at what they do. I only saw the black guy once and he was a waste of air time. I think he steamed green beans or something equally as innocuous.

I like the new CK show and subscribe to it on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2021 12:51 AM

I swear he and Julia were way flirting in the early episodes.

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2021 12:54 AM

"aversion to diversity"

"the black guy was a waste of air time"

fuck off

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2021 2:16 AM

I like the slight whiff of cheeseball about ATK. It's comforting. I like the studio audience clapping and smiling.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2021 2:17 AM

I saw the black guy on a recent show. He made an inexpensive, delicious-looking dish of yellow potatoes and onions.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2021 2:21 AM

Lawman has some hotness, but the tattoos are awful and he's just not a ball of fire. As in, he seemed to be a nice guy, but he was boring.

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2021 2:31 AM

Is red-blooded heterosexual Jack still on?

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2021 3:13 AM

Kimball was so pretentious. I couldn't get past him pronouncing marinade as "mahrin-odd"

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2021 3:52 AM

R68 - you can fuck all the way off. The only segment I saw him in sucked. There isn't any contradiction, hypocrisy, or racism in my statement. Troll

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2021 4:40 AM

no YOU R66

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2021 5:16 AM

[quote] I’d love to blow Bryan.

mmm, pants-less in an apron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2021 7:40 AM

I saw a Kimball-era episode of ATK (on VHS, no less!) awhile back and would never have guessed that our Julia would ever have the ability to co-host the show. Kimball is overbearing as usual, but Julia seemingly lacks personality altogether. What a change!

These days, I like her warmth and enthusiasm and is my favorite on the show, along with Elle, and Brian Woof.

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2021 9:34 AM

Somehow Julia strikes me as a woman who's got a wicked-ass temper.

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2021 9:41 AM

That voice -- Becky Hays -- can't stand it. Arrrggh!

Can't watch any of her segments.

She may a nice person and a great cook, but I cannot abide a chirpy, high pitched voice like hers. So I don't know what she cooks on the show.

And it's not just her voice -- there are some women's voices that like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. It's not their fault, it's mine, but I just have to remove myself from earshot.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2021 9:41 AM

R79, that's what the "mute" button and closed captioning are for.

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2021 11:25 AM

Gee, ya think, r80?

by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2021 11:42 AM

Yes - I love Julia but I can also see her GOING OFF in a production meeting!

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2021 10:10 PM

That HUSSY Julia Collin-Davidson didn't take her husband's last name!!! She already has TWO-- what's ONE more!!!

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2021 10:24 PM

Becky Hays sing/talks like she's teaching a bunch of 6th graders how to cook!!!!

I FUCKIN' HATE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2021 10:26 PM

Becky Hays is so fucking annoying!!!!

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2021 10:49 PM

The programs, ATK and Cooks Country are uniformly well produced, pleasant and informative. I don’t really eroticize the presenters, but can understand why some here do.

Kimball seems like a successful WASP, maybe a secret prick. Milk Street is unevenly interesting to me, but I did enjoy hearing Sarah Moulton on a recent NPR broadcast, commenting on tips for salting a tomato before making a BLT. I like Moulton a lot, always found her to be a nice, modest presence on camera, in the early days of the Food Network. I think her spot was taken over by Rachel Ray, who’s pretty loud and awful (“yummo!!!!EVOO”).

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2021 11:12 PM

[quote] I've always liked ATK, but I find it refreshing with Julia and Bridget as hosts. Chris Kimball was ok enough, but his prissiness as pointed out by [R4] was always a bit off-putting.

Chris always came off as a colossal cunt. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2021 11:19 PM

I swear they were fucking with the looks they give each other in the early episodes. bahhhh

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] I’d love to blow Bryan.

Yes, his seed is probably delectable and delicious. With milky undertones and just a subtle hint of man musk at the finish.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2021 11:36 PM

Kimble created the show, then sold it to the producing company, at which time he then became an employee. Then he wanted a big raise and they canned his ass. He leaves; starts Milk Street (which I don't like-- everyone trying to be dry and witty is annoying) And now he's been sued by ATK for copying the copywritten blueprint that he created! What a mess! Don't know if they settled out of court or if the lawsuit is still active.

by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2021 11:37 PM

Ugh! I got the name wrong of the bitch with the annoying way of being patronizing to the audience!!! Ashley Moore is the stoopid bitch who sounds like she's talking to children!!!!

I FUCKIN' HATE HER!!!!!!!!

(But I still hate Becky Hays too!!!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 18, 2021 11:46 PM

Yes, Ashley Moore is horrible on camera. Let her work off camera testing recipes. But she has no talent for television.

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2021 3:00 AM

I always thought Julia was a lez, she's somewhat butchy to me sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2021 4:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!