Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you take Calculus in high school

Was it hard?

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2021 6:12 AM

I took it.

I passed it.

And today, I don't remember a thing about it.

Perfect example of useless classes we take in high school and college, that are of no use to us later in life.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 9:12 PM

Do we get another thread for AP Calculus?

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote] Do we get another thread for AP Calculus?

No R2, but you do get extra credit.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 9:15 PM

Is your calculus up to snuff?

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 9:16 PM

No I did not. I took the bare minimum math classes and I don't even remember those.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 9:19 PM

No, it was not, it is high school math, why would it be hard?

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2021 9:21 PM

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2021 9:22 PM

I took it and passed. That was good enough for me. I think I got a B. A math whiz I am not.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2021 9:26 PM

Math was not my forte, I had high passing grades in every other subject, but I despised math. I went to a vocational high school, an art high school. I needed an art portfolio at 14! Because there might have been a chance a student's portfolio wasn't created by them, an onsite drawing test was also required. A basic aptitude written test was also required. I don't remember the type of math on my entry exam.

Unless you want to become a mathematician, a techy or a scientist, what's the point of learning such difficult advanced math in high school? That level of math is totally useless to navigate life. How about schools teach teens about being better with money, skills which will help them navigate the workforce etc, you know, real life issues?

I was so awful in math, I had to re-take my math final. I was set to attend college in the UK, I almost didn't make it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 9:44 PM

R1, speak for yourself. Math and calculus got a me a very lucrative career in high tech.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 10:11 PM

It was way too hard, so I cheated on the final exam.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 10:14 PM

I was a mediocre student of mathematics at best, but for some reason calculus just “clicked” for me and I found it very easy when even some of the numerically-gifted in my class struggled. Languages were definitely more my thing.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 10:15 PM

Took differential calculus and then integral calculus in high school, junior & senior years. Then in college I took integral calculus, multivariable calculus, matrix algebra, differential equations 1 & 2, and numerical methods. (engineer) Then in my professional career I've never used any of it. At all. Like, my career uses high school physics.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 10:17 PM

I took it. I was decent at math, but it wasn't my strongest subject. I got a B+ average for the year in what was called honors calculus at my school and that was good enough for me. I've never used it since.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 10:26 PM

I took it in college when I was still in 8th grade. It wasn’t hard. Just math. I took most of my classes at college while I was still in high school. I didn’t graduate high school early but i was part time 9-12 grade and only in class for about 1-2 hours a day. My parents refused to let me graduate high school early saying I’d miss out on the experience. Truthfully I had all my credits free doing it this way and with scholarship, finished the last year in of college for free. So they saved a ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote] calculus just “clicked” for me and I found it very easy when even some of the numerically-gifted in my class struggled.

[quote] Languages were definitely more my thing

Interesting.

I wonder if those two things are related?

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2021 11:41 PM

I ask because I sort feel like I didn't live up to my math potential. Math was my easiest class up until about 10th grade. Then I just sort of lost interest and by senior year didn't take any math and was kind of happy the college I picked had a GE requirement of two semesters of math or two semesters of a foreign language. I didn't really like language classes. It sort of puzzles me that I just gave up on something I was good at.

I was kind of shocked that my SAT math scores were higher than the verbal.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 4:38 AM

Although I took it and was good at it, I loathed it! English, arts, drama, history, humanities were my strong points and I loved them, still do.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 4:42 AM

oh and to add to r17 I took two boring Spanish classes in college. I wonder if I'd have breezed thru two easy math classes.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 4:43 AM

me too r18. Exact same experience.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 4:43 AM

English we need every day, ironically, we need it to read the math paper. I always think advanced math should be something regulated to college for those professions that require it, the average person doesn't need it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2021 4:45 AM

Somebody said calculus is easy? I had to devote an entire page to some problems and couldn't mess it up or the answer would be wrong. Anyway I forgot it all. I don't know how Newton and Leibniz figured it out - amazing stuff.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2021 4:48 AM

Shitposting going strong on DL

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2021 4:49 AM

No! I am terrible at math and took statistics instead. I knew I was toast when I flunked advanced algebra trig. The awful TI graphing calculators of it all!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2021 5:04 AM

Did I take trig?

(25 replies and no one said this? DL is slipping. I set it up expecting to get that answer at r1?)

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2021 4:10 AM

I took it senior year - it wasn’t terribly hard, but like Physics junior year I really wasn’t that interested. I’d always done well in math and science all through school and was a good student overall but those two classes made me decide that I didn’t want to go any further with them. For that I think they are very valuable classes in High School - I was “smart” enough to study engineering or medicine but I would have been miserable in either field, so the classes that make you realize what you don’t like are just as important as the ones you love.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2021 5:12 AM

I thought it was fun and interesting. I didn't take it seriously, I think I only got a 4 on the AP, versus3 5s in other subjects and one 3 from junior year. I guess I can think of some uses for measuring the area under a curve in statistics.

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2021 5:32 AM

I took AP Cal AB. It was hard at the time, but the concepts are pretty simple now. I was a physics major, so I had to take Cal 1-3, as well as Differential Equations and Linear Algebra in college. I also had a bit of remedial Fourier Transform math in grad school for optics classes. So I think my perception of it is skewed. It’s just about learning the right tools to tackle different problems.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2021 6:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!