Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where the Boys Are (1960): Catching up with the Four Leads

When MGM put four young starlets together, who knew they would have such long and winding careers...of the four girls, I think it is fair to say that Yvette Mimieux fared the best financially (still married to Oakwood CEO Howard Ruby...their Bel Air manse hit the market recently), Dolores Hart spiritually (still a nun), Paula Prentiss romantically (still with Richard Benjamin, married 60 years this Autumn), and Connie Francis suffered the most (raped, assaulted, addicted to painkillers, lost her voice, brother murdered, manic depressive, psychiatric hospitals, suicide attempts, four marriages, lawsuits, and so much more).

Who's your favorite "Where the Boys Are" girl? For me, it's leggy, goofy, gorgeous, warm Paula Prentiss, especially playing Bobbie in the original The Stepford Wives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 19, 2022 12:34 AM

Paula Prentiss. But only because she became a Stepford Wife.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 7:39 PM

Connie Francis is just too tragic.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 7:40 PM

R1 Her sister was a real mess. "In 1997 Ann Prentiss was convicted in a Santa Monica, California court of making terrorist threats, assaults with a firearm, battery and solicitation to commit murder of her brother-in-law Richard Benjamin and her father. She was sentenced to nineteen years in jail. Ann Prentiss died in prison on January 12, 2010."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 7:58 PM

Wow! I had no idea about Ann Prentiss! Connie Francis was a natural. Funny, warm and cute. Yvette Mimeux was great as the desperate friend who wanted to meet a Yalie and get married but ended up being passed around from one douchebag to another.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 8:07 PM

[quote] Connie Francis suffered the most

Wrong. Miss Francis had some tragedy in her life, but she was VERY successful in her career, racking up millions. Her fame outlasted the others mentioned, as well.

And she aged well as you can see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 8:47 PM

R5 "Wrong?" No one said she wasn't rich as fuck; her father set her up very nicely with his management of her career, according to her autobiography. But who wants to be raped for hours and left for dead, and then have the host of other tragic events that followed? No amount of money can take that away. Only someone with only an abstract concept of wealth would think that is worth it. And no one is talking about "fame," except for you.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2021 9:23 PM

I adore this thread!

Paula Prentiss was fresh out of Northwestern University and did a fine job in her first movie role. She had such natural chemistry with Jim Hutton that they even went on to work together in a few other films. They were both quite tall for the era but Jim Hutton (Timothy is his son you know) had a drinking problem.

Ann Prentiss was bananas. R3 That's a picture of Paula Prentiss. Ann is a mystery because she died in prison and I wonder how nothing was on Entertainment Tonight or anything. There's been online rumors for years that Ann and Paula's father was morally unsound to them both.

Connie Francis is a Queen to me. A dark tragic Queen with a melancholy tinge to her soaring singing voice. Tiny thing she is. Cute as a button in WTBA and very natural. I love her voice. Her personal sorrows are heartbreaking and yet she does so carry on with courage.

What's the name of the lady who became a Mother Superior? She was gorgeous in the film.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2021 9:50 PM

Allan Carr wanted to remake all these films of his youth, when was a fat gay incel who dreamed of an amazing technicolor dreamcoat.

Unfortunately in the remake, he cast women who looked like they were pushing-40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2021 10:06 PM

R7 Dolores Hart became a nun. There was a documentary about her ("God is Bigger than "Elvis.") She seems very happy.

That is sad about Ann Prentiss. I'm sure Paula and Richard tried to help her whole life (kind of like Natalie and Lana Wood). Very sad that she tried to attack Richard. Richard was a big deal in the movies for many, many years. Paula, I believe, was one of the last multi-year studio system contract stars. She transcended that in the 70s, she was very cool.

I vaguely remember Tim Hutton winning the Oscar ("Ordinary People," I guess?) and Jim had just died and Tim may have cried during his acceptance speech, very emotional.

I have to say I adore Yvette Mimieux. She reminded me a bit of a B-Tuesday Weld. Just sublime looking. I loved "The Time Machine" and her character Weena and I always wanted to know how she and Rod Taylor fared when they went to the future together. Mimieux made a number of TV movies that she produced in the '70s. The guy she married is extremely wealthy. He owns and runs Oakwood, which is a massive owner of corporate apartments. She is very big on yoga and diet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 10:10 PM

R8 Yes, a bad bad remake. But Howard McGillin and Russell Todd...Carr did have a good eye for the boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 10:12 PM

I love Paula Prentiss. Love her voice. Wish she’d done more tv comedies.

I always get Yvette Mimieux mixed up with Tuesday Weld.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 10:32 PM

Paula and Dick had a sitcom in the 60s that was witty and sophisticated and featured the sublime Jack Cassidy. Only ran for one season but it was a great season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] I always get Yvette Mimieux mixed up with Tuesday Weld.

Agree. Completely interchangeable. I'd throw Carol Lynley into that mix as well.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 11:18 PM

Paula was apparently prone to stage giggles while a student at Northwestern. One of my professors (RIP, Miss Heston) was playing the title role in The House of Bernard’s Alba, directed by scary uber-dyke Professor Alvina Krause. Paula couldn’t stop laughing during a rehearsal, so Krause went up to her and slapped her across the face, saying “Feel like laughing now, Paula?” Of course, today would be fired so fast her head would spin (as she should have been—apparently slapping was one of her favorite directing techniques with male and female actors alike), but it’s a good story. Krause herself sounds like a piece of work—so much repressed (maybe not repressed enough) anger. The old days weren’t necessarily better days.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 11:39 PM

R12 Jack Cassidy such a hot mess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 12:16 AM

R14 I had not heard that! There is still ample humiliation from professors but hardly any corporal punishment.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 12:19 AM

Paula Prentiss in "Catch 22".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 12:28 AM

Bad copy on utube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 12:33 AM

I love Paula P. -- she was amazing in The World of Henry Orient -- and in everything else she ever did. But her husband Dick was not very talented but thought he was the second coming of Charlie Chaplin. She far outshone him in every way.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 12:34 AM

wanted to see a project with Paula Prentiss and Geena Davis as mother and daughter

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 12:36 AM

Dick was great in Diary of a Mad Housewife.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2021 12:37 AM

Wanted to kill everyone in Diary. Obnoxious characters.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2021 12:43 AM

Connie Francis is the iconic leader of the pack when it comes to "Where The Boys Are."

The others did well and we remember them, and for the most part they are still among us, but they are not quite remembered for Where The Boys Are. It's Connie by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2021 12:45 AM

I have always confused Connie Francis with Connie Stevens.

by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2021 12:46 AM

R13: Tuesday Weld was too weird to be confused with anyone else. Yvetter Mimieux and Carl Lynley, OTOH, were interchangeable.

Connie Stevens had little singing talent (and not much acting talent either). Connie Francis could carry a tune phonetically in Urdu or Swahili.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2021 12:59 AM

Connie Francis for her singing talent. Dolores Hart is now the Mother Superior of a cloistered convent. It wasn't long after WTBA that she entered the convent, Abbey of Regina Laudis in Conn. She and Connie maintain contact. Mother Dolres is still a member of the Actor's Guild and votes in the Oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2021 3:00 AM

Prentiss struggled with her mental health too.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2021 3:03 AM

Care for a canapé, r22?

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2021 3:30 AM

Connie Stevens could sing. She was just pigeon-holed into blonde sex kitten fare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2021 3:43 AM

I once met Connie Stevens, back in the 1990s. She was quite pleasant and surprisingly energetic. We had tea with a friend at one of those Upper East Side ladies tea shops. Of course I asked her about Bob Conrad, whom she said she liked, although she admitted he was tough to be around because of his terrible temper. What she remembered best, or perhaps what I remember best, is that she was jealous of how good looking he was, and that in every scene they did together he would always warn her "Don't muss up my hair." I don't why, but that always struck me as funny.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2021 4:23 AM

That Ruby house looks like the inside of someone's intestinal tract--I'm truly shocked Yvette had such bad taste--or married someone who insisted his house look like that.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2021 6:30 AM

Delores has done the Chiller autograph show to raise money for her convent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2021 8:11 AM

Delores was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2021 8:50 AM

Carol Lynley I got mixed up with Brooke Bundy. They didn’t really look alike except for being blonde but both were popular teen models at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2021 9:16 AM

I have no idea who any of these people are, but the house OP linked is fantastic, I love it, just my style

Found another link with more pics

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2021 9:35 AM

R29 I have a good Connie Stevens story. Back in the late 90s, I was the manager of a bank on Wilshire Boulevard, and we had a smattering of celebrities who had accounts there. One day Connie Stevens came in and wanted to take money out of her retirement account, but she wanted to know what the early withdrawal penalty would be.

I looked her account up, and I thought I was being really helpful and said, "Oh, there's no penalty! You're over 59 1/2!" As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I thought, "Shit!" I looked at her, she gave me a really icy stare for a minute, then broke into her signature Connie Stevens smile and said, "Well, there's one benefit of being an old lady!'

I did my best to apologize and said something like, "You're not an old lady," then just tried to get her transaction done as quickly as possible and get her the hell out of there.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2021 10:32 AM

[quote] I have always confused Connie Francis with Connie Stevens.

They're both aware that people get them mixed up and have joked about it on interviews.

And by the way, R36, Connie Stevens only turned 60 in 1998, so depending on how "late 90's" your encounter was, that must have really stung her! Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2021 11:38 AM

Patricia Neal and Paula Prentiss used to visit Dolores Hart at the monastery too. I always wanted to visit, since Loretta Hines-Howard, the woman who donated the Angels and Nativity Set to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, also donated a magnificent set to Dolores' convent.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2021 11:44 AM

r38 "Monastery"? Wouldn't that be where the BOYS are?

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2021 12:04 PM

Yikes, I meant convent

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2021 12:41 PM

Is it true that Bette Midler is going to redo this as "For the Boys Where They Are"?

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2021 12:43 PM

R37 Yes, as I recall, she was 60, maybe 61.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2021 1:06 PM

R38 I just finished reading Patricia Neal’s autobiography and she actually lived at the monastery for a while. She had a rough life and credits the nuns with helping her find peace (she also became a Catholic.)

Mother Dolores Hart also wrote about Patricia Neal’s monastery experiences in HER autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2021 1:21 PM

Oops sorry I made the same mistake writing monastery when I meant convent!

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2021 1:24 PM

Lol you guys got boys on the brain, seriously 😳

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2021 1:35 PM

R30 R36 I caught a glimpse of Connie Stevens in the late 90s myself. She was doing some kid of press event at the MGM Grand. She still looked very early 60s astronaut's wife glam: the fur, big hair, the bling...the press and the bystanders gawking lapped it up. 1990s Las Vegas buffet is her people! Career wise and physically, she reminded more of a grounded Joey Heatherton (now, there was a fuck-up!) than anyone else.

And as R37 notes, people did mix the two Connies up (like people do with Dylan McDermott and Dermot Mulroney; and Regina Hall and Regina King). Almost the same age, they hit at about the same time, both Connies were Italian girls from the NYC area who adopted anglo surnames, and both sang...although Connie Stevens was a novelty teen act and Connie Francis was a star who charted a ton of singles, not unlike Bobby Darin. After Blackboard Jungle and Rebel Without a Cause and Elvis Presley, the studios realized American teens were a profitable segment and churned out movies, TV shows, and stars directed toward them. The synergy with / crossover into pop music was always planned with the teen stars (and was a well oiled machine from Ricky Nelson and Connie Stevens and Shelley Fabares on through the 1970s with David Cassidy and Leif Garret).

As noted, Connie Stevens's personal life was less intense than Francis's, although picking up Eddie Fisher after both Debbie Reynolds and Elizabeth Taylor couldn't have been easy, By all accounts she has a good relationship with her actress daughters Joely Fisher and Tricia Leigh Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2021 1:49 PM

The late Lois Nettleton visited Mother Dolores frequently. They made Come Fly With Me together.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2021 1:52 PM

I always confuse Connie Stevens and Stella Stevens.

Always confuse Sandy Duncan and Sandy Dennis.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2021 2:11 PM

I always confuse Tina Louise and Tina Turner.

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2021 3:32 PM

I always confuse Merle Oberon with Merle Haggard.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote] When MGM put four young starlets together, who knew they would have such long and winding careers...of the four girls, I think it is fair to say that Yvette Mimieux fared the best financially (still married to Oakwood CEO Howard Ruby...their Bel Air manse hit the market recently), Dolores Hart spiritually (still a nun), Paula Prentiss romantically (still with Richard Benjamin, married 60 years this Autumn), and Connie Francis suffered the most (raped, assaulted, addicted to painkillers, lost her voice, brother murdered, manic depressive, psychiatric hospitals, suicide attempts, four marriages, lawsuits, and so much more).

This paragraph is the definition of bitchiness. I love it. Seemingly innocuous and then CF's unfortunate life events tastefully laid out.

She's a republican who attended a Trump event or fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago. She supports hate and racism. It's all very unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2021 4:21 PM

There are numerous interviews with Hart on the web. She seems like a grounded person who found a vocation. She also seems very contemporary, liberal and open-minded.

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2021 4:35 PM

Jack Cassidy always seemed like the very definition of the word 'smarmy'.

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 4:41 PM

June Haver was another star who spent some time in a convent, though she later left and married Fred MacMurray. Their marriage lasted quite a while, too.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 4:42 PM

Jack Cassidy had a really excellent singing voice. He must have wondered what on earth else he could have done to advance his career and still not be as big a star as Shirley Jones and son David. Yes, I now the Cole Porter story... That helped certainly.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2021 4:45 PM

R48 This is how my nanny taught me to remember: Sandy Duncan has one eye, Sandy Dennis 'is Dead Stella Stevens wears a diaper, but Connie still gives head

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2021 6:39 PM

R43 Oh I would like to read that! I grew up in a household that worshipped movies and the more real-life tragedy, the better. As a child I was often told about the car hitting the pram with the baby in it, the troubled marriage to Roald, the stroke, the love affair with Gary Cooper, and on and on. A friend of mine lives in Knoxville, Tennessee and tells me there is a hospital wing for stroke patients that is called the Patricia Neal wing, or something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2021 6:50 PM

Oh, big fucking deal, r57.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2021 7:34 PM

r57 r58 Harumph. "Katharine Hepburn Garden is the largest public garden on the east side of midtown Manhattan. The planted area consists of a front border bounded by a seating wall and low fence behind which lies a naturalistic garden. From the entrance gate near the park cafe, a winding pathway offers a serene walk in the woods amid the skyscrapers of midtown Manhattan."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2021 8:38 PM

[quote] She's a republican who attended a Trump event or fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago. She supports hate and racism. It's all very unfortunate.

Connie Francis could attend a Nuremberg rally and I'd still adore her. When you're gifted with an angelic voice like hers, a gorgeous face and such a troubled life you're allowed to have a flaw or two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2021 8:42 PM

Smarmy= pissy drunk!

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2021 11:48 PM

I remembered a segment about Hart talking about her relationship with a man who also never married. They were shown together and it was obvious they loved one and other but circumstances prevented them from getting together. When he left, Hart looked longingly and crossed herself.

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2021 12:12 AM

Wasn’t Connie’s rape set up by the mob? Or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2021 12:56 AM

Dolores was all set to marry when she did an about face and entered the convent. Her fiancé never married and they remained devoted friends until his passing a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2021 1:13 AM

Connie Francis was a Mafia moll who sang at JohnGotti's daughter's wedding even after her brother got whacked by the mob. And her "career" was over in the '60s. Singing in Aleut and Aztec just makes her a novelty act, not a star.

She does have a good recipe for lasagna, however.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2021 1:23 AM

I love all the girls but Paula is just so fabulous.

I really love Connie Francis in this and had no idea she had such a tragic past.

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2021 1:37 AM

Has Susan Dey weighed in?

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2021 1:39 AM

R67: Did somebody die?

by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2021 1:46 AM

They weren't in a monastery, but they all used Monistat*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2021 1:53 AM

Was there a bit of a reverse "The Thorn Birds" type of situation going on R61 and R63? That's catty, surreal, and sacrilegious of me to ask. Something happened. Dolores Hart was gorgeous.

"wanted to see a project with Paula Prentiss and Geena Davis as mother and daughter"

Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum stole Paula Prentiss and Richard Benjamin's "act" in the 1980's. They eventually broke up but Paula and Richard have stayed married since the year one. Oh well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2021 1:53 AM

I saw Prentiss and Benjamin in Power Plays when they replaced May and Arkin.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2021 2:55 AM

r68 Only their careers.

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2021 3:07 AM

R57 Patricia Neal’s memoir is called As I Am. I was lucky enough to find a copy at a used book sale for $2.50—-autographed! It’s inscribed “To Meredith—Patricia Neal 1993”. Before I read it I’d only known about her stroke and how she had to learn to walk and talk again. But her life had so much more tragedy!! One of the biggest regrets of her life was aborting Gary Cooper’s baby. She never stopped loving him. Raold Dahl came across as a real creep.

by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2021 8:17 PM

R73 Nice! I keep a list of out of print books that I hope to find one day (although I bought and have still not gotten around to reading Linda Christian's or Lee Grant's!) I'll add this to it. By the way, Pat and Roald's granddaughter Sophie is striking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 24, 2021 10:20 PM

Patricia missed Gary’s big schlong pounding her insides like a freight train. Love. Don’t make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 75July 25, 2021 1:51 AM

R75 Mira, don’t joke, so did I.

by Anonymousreply 76July 25, 2021 4:47 AM

R74 you can find a lot of copies of Patricia Neal’s memoir As I Am on Ebay; it’s not hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 77July 25, 2021 10:38 AM

[quote] Patricia Neal’s memoir is called As I Am.

The new biopic is dreadful. Keeley Hawes doesn’t even attempt Neal’s speech pattern. And it ruins the scene where she rehearses Hud with Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 78July 25, 2021 12:26 PM

How come Connie Francis is billed as “Introducing Connie Francis” but Paula Prentiss gets standard billing? It was the first movie for both.

by Anonymousreply 79July 25, 2021 12:31 PM

R79, I bet it was Connie’s dad who insisted on that.

by Anonymousreply 80July 25, 2021 1:19 PM

R80 is probably right. Connie Francis was the most famous of the bunch when that movie was made. Not as an actress, but as a singer, so I guess she had some clout to ask for that.

by Anonymousreply 81July 25, 2021 1:24 PM

[quote] I always get Yvette Mimieux mixed up with Tuesday Weld.

[quote] Agree. Completely interchangeable. I'd throw Carol Lynley into that mix as well.

R11 and R13: It's easy to tell them apart -- Tuesday Weld is the one who's interesting and talented. The other 2 are like pretty potted plants.

by Anonymousreply 82July 25, 2021 1:36 PM

Yes, Tuesday Weld is so "interesting and talented" that she has to steal Connie Francis's voice to sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 25, 2021 1:56 PM

Weld had been a model and actress from a young age and even if half her stories were true--her life was a total mess. She had presence--all that early experience and some of the crazy--you couldn't take your eyes off of her. Not a great actress in the technical Streep sense but someone who could convey a character. She came from wealth, except her family was cutoff because of her father marrying a non-WASP, and had a bohemian, at best, childhood.

Lynley was a starlet who never became a star. Ditto Mimieux, who had sense enough to marry money. The one starlet who never became a star but did become an eternal starlet was Jill St. John who still acts once in a great while. She was all charisma but no acting ability. Now married to Robert Wagner ,she was much married and dated (or at least photographed with) half of Hollywood in her heyday. Lynley (who kept acting for years) was a kind of more serious, less successful version of St. John.

by Anonymousreply 84July 25, 2021 2:11 PM

Please add Diane McBain to the list of innocuous blonde actresses of the early 1960s.

Not to mention Sandra Dee.

by Anonymousreply 85July 25, 2021 2:14 PM

Paula Prentiss for sure!!!

She was so great in The Parallax View with Warren Beatty.

by Anonymousreply 86July 25, 2021 2:22 PM

Can someone please explain Keeley Hawes remarkable success? She gets constant plum roles in Brit TV but she's not that great an actress: she's always quite cold and bland. So... why??

by Anonymousreply 87July 25, 2021 2:26 PM

R85 Diane was quite the cunning minx according to super-agent Jay Bernstein’s highly entertaining posthumously published autobiography. She was one of the starlets who, once the pill became available, took full advantage and while she was engaged to Jay she was using him for connections and was sleeping around.

Tuesday developed into a good actress who outgrew Dobie Gillis and Albert Zugsmith productions and played against type turning in some great supporting roles such as the assistant/wife who got turned on while being the victim of a heist and ditched her bourgeoise-aspirant life to become a gang moll in Once Upon a Time in America, and as Diane Keaton’s fuck up of a sister in Looking for Mr. Goodbar. I think she is as fucked up in real life as any child star would be, which is to say, quite fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 88July 25, 2021 2:31 PM

R84 Lance Reventlow was my one true love

by Anonymousreply 89July 25, 2021 2:33 PM

R84 Mimieux’s ideal role was the daughter in The Light in the Piazza. She had to look gorgeous but be a simpleton. It was basically Weena from The Time Machine brought up to date. She tried to keep making Yvette Mimieux happen all through the 1970s. I’m sure being married (first) to Stanley Donen both helped and hurt her. I have no idea why Disney cast her as the ingenue (at 38) in The Black Hole. I caught up with that again recently to see if it was as bad as I recalled and it was. I would not be surprised if that highly anticipated movie flopping led her to Howard Ruby as a career alternative.

by Anonymousreply 90July 25, 2021 2:39 PM

Speaking of Lynley, David Frost had some Grade A glamourpusses on his arm, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 91July 25, 2021 2:44 PM

I remember Yvette mostly from the rare two part episode of the early 1960s TV series DR. KILDARE, in which she played the doomed surfer girl love interest of Richard Chamberlain called "Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright" with the added bonus of a LIFE magazine cover story.

And the rare episode that got Dick out of his Kildare smock and into a skimpy bathing suit to show off his hairy chest and legs.

by Anonymousreply 92July 25, 2021 2:49 PM

I loved Carol Lynley in The Cardinal playing the good Catholic girl who wanted to marry a Jew and ended up descending into a sordid life and dying in childbirth. She came back later in the movie playing the adult version of her daughter. It was probably her best performance. Back in the 70s she replaced Sandy Dennis I’m Absurd Person Singular and was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 93July 25, 2021 3:03 PM

I first noticed Tuesday Weld on the "Dobie Gillis" show, playing money-hungry, social-climbing Thalia Menninger. It was rare to see a beautiful girl do such a good job with comedy and she was only 16.

by Anonymousreply 94July 25, 2021 3:19 PM

She was certainly funnier than Beatty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 25, 2021 3:23 PM

While it’s not incorrect to call it a convent, which is a group of nuns but not necessarily a building, Mother Dolores is part of a monastic order that lives in an abbey. Abbeys are independent communities set apart from the world, while convents are usually associated with a school or hospital. Abbeys are also technically monasteries.

by Anonymousreply 96July 25, 2021 3:24 PM

Who is Keeley Hawes, R87, and what is her connection with this thread?

by Anonymousreply 97July 25, 2021 3:27 PM

Keeley Hawes got her first TV lead playing a young Diana Dors in a bio pic.

by Anonymousreply 98July 25, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote]Who is Keeley Hawes, [R87], and what is her connection with this thread?

Someone up thread mentioned Patricia Neal and I mentioned I had seen Hawes in the Neal biopic. I created a new thread for it.

by Anonymousreply 99July 25, 2021 3:32 PM

Fair enough, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100July 25, 2021 3:36 PM

Yvette starred with DL favorite Richard Chamberlain in the 1965 film [italic]Joy in the Morning[/italic], about a young married couple in the 1920s. Based on the best selling novel. You can tell that she’s out of her depth in some of the more dramatic scenes, but Richard is pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 25, 2021 4:50 PM

I only knew Keeley Hawes from the "Upstairs, Downstairs" reboot, but I just saw her in "Line of Duty" where she's totally un-glammed and almost unrecognizable.

by Anonymousreply 102July 25, 2021 5:47 PM

I remember Yvette Mimieux as the star of [italic]Hit Lady,[/italic] a classic '70s Movie of the Week about a glamorous blonde murderess-for-hire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 25, 2021 5:57 PM

r103 With DL fave Dack Rambo in a supporting role, Dack pictured here with his twin Dirk, who was killed by a drunk driver in 1967 25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 25, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote]R11 I always get Yvette Mimieux mixed up with Tuesday Weld.

[quote]r13 Agree. Completely interchangeable. I'd throw Carol Lynley into that mix as well.

The difference is Weld is a talented actress who was offered everything under the sun, and turned it down.

The other two were simply also-rans who were rarely the first choice for any job they got.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 25, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] Weld had been a model and actress from a young age and even if half her stories were true--her life was a total mess. She had presence -- all that early experience and some of the crazy -- you couldn't take your eyes off of her.

There’s a color screen test of Weld when she’s 15 or so (looking about 20!) where she’s simply answering questions from off camera. It’s a [italic]study [/italic]in screen presence.

Her physical beauty aside, there’s simply something naturally compelling about her manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2021 7:17 PM

Dolores Hart. I KNEW I was gay looking at her in this movie. She made my heart hurt (no pun, ok a little, intended). Then I took me forever to come out. Society can be an unkind thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 25, 2021 7:25 PM

r105 Yea, Weld owns that scene. Her arc from the robbery to this was a joy to watch. Such a great movie...most who have seen it have only seen the butchered version.

by Anonymousreply 108July 25, 2021 7:42 PM

r95, Weld and even Beatty are exquisitely funny (and gorgeous) in that Dobie Gillis clip. I'm so glad I grew up on that kind of TV and not the shitty Gossip Girl trash kids watch today.

by Anonymousreply 109July 25, 2021 8:20 PM

[quote]R103 I remember Yvette Mimieux as the star of Hit Lady, a classic '70s Movie of the Week about a glamorous blonde murderess-for-hire.

Oh my goodness… Practically my life story! I’m watching this RIGHT NOW!

And who in their right mind could forget Yvette’s semenal performance in “Jackson County Jail,” in which she’s manhandled by hot cop Tommy Lee Jones??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 25, 2021 9:45 PM

For some reason I thought this started as a highly rated TV movie, then was reshot as a film (?) But maybe I’m thinking of a different prison flick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 25, 2021 9:46 PM

R110 Ooooh I want to watch, too, although I am partial to Yvette’s Ellen Burstyn homage in “Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 25, 2021 9:50 PM

Richard Benjamin was hilarious in Love at First Bite as a neurotic descendent of Van Helsing.

by Anonymousreply 113July 25, 2021 10:07 PM

R111 Yes, you are likely thinking of the infamous 1976 Lynne Moody/Deborah Raffin southern women’s prison opus, “Nightmare in Badham County,” which started out as a TV movie but became quite the sensation in China…as an example of the failure of the west to provide equality to its citizens and the working class.

by Anonymousreply 114July 25, 2021 10:10 PM

[quote]Yvette starred with DL favorite Richard Chamberlain in the 1965 film Joy in the Morning, about a young married couple in the 1920s. Based on the best selling novel. You can tell that she’s out of her depth in some of the more dramatic scenes, but Richard is pretty good.

It was an old fashioned potboiler. Richard Chamberlain crooned the theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 25, 2021 10:13 PM

The movie "Joy In The Morning" was based on the fourth and final novel (1963) written by Betty Smith, whose first book was the 1943 best-seller "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn".

by Anonymousreply 116July 25, 2021 10:31 PM

Connie at her best. She gets standing ovation at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 25, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote]R116 "[bold]Joy In The Morning[/bold]" was based on the fourth and final novel (1963) written by Betty Smith, whose first book was the 1943 best-seller "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn".

Well, the title makes it sound sleazy as all hell… more suited to Our Carroll than Our Yvette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 25, 2021 10:45 PM

Sorry, R118. The young couple marries, struggles financially while the husband is in law school, has a baby, love prevails, happy ending. Boring story, but beautiful actors.

by Anonymousreply 119July 25, 2021 10:56 PM

Tuesday Weld was also great in [italic]Looking for Mr. Goodbar [/italic] as Diane Keaton’s older sister. She got an Oscar nomination for that.

by Anonymousreply 120July 25, 2021 11:41 PM

If Tuesday Weld hadn't turned down "Lolita", the movie wouldn't have been stolen by Peter Sellers. I liked it anyway, but the title role seemed like kind of an afterthought with that generic blonde Sue Lyon in it.

by Anonymousreply 121July 25, 2021 11:44 PM

LOLITA doesn’t really work as a movie or a play, because at rock bottom it’s a story of child sexual abuse, and in the book we only have the first person narrator’s description of how he wants it to seem the heroine’s responding. She’s supposed to be 12!

Using an older actress and actually seeing the events removes the ambiguity the book juggles. The material is too distasteful to dramatize as written, and making the character an older teen brings it into a territory that’s something else. So I don’t think the movie versions have worked very well. How could they?

by Anonymousreply 122July 26, 2021 12:35 AM

R79 I always found that odd. In addition, No one knew Paula at the time and by contrast, Connie was a huge international star when the movie was made. It might have been her father's doing.

by Anonymousreply 123July 26, 2021 2:44 AM

"Introducing" was a prestige credit. And you're wondering why Connie got it and Paula didn't?

by Anonymousreply 124July 26, 2021 6:56 AM

So were the boys there?

by Anonymousreply 125July 26, 2021 9:17 AM

"Lolita" was closer to Weld's life than she probably wanted to play.

by Anonymousreply 126July 26, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote] So were the boys there?

Connie found them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 26, 2021 2:28 PM

[quote] She was so great in The Parallax View with Warren Beatty.

How could you tell? She was in that movie for 30 seconds. However, that movie has a very sexy William Daniels. Why didn’t he work the sex symbol angle more?

by Anonymousreply 128July 26, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote]R126 “Lolita" was closer to Weld's life than she probably wanted to play.

She did say once, “I didn’t have to play Lolita, I lived it.”

She had what one might call a chequred life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 26, 2021 2:47 PM

R128 She sets the overall tone for the film in a few short scenes which are delicately placed within the film for a short while since it is a small role after all. Paula Prentiss is downright musical in her small role in that film because her character's trajectory has a soft/loud dynamic like a Pixies or Nirvana song. Warren Beatty let Paula just up and go for it without micromanaging or overthinking things for once.

I read that they had a time of things joking around in her last scene. It took some time to set it up which is funny when one recalls what her last scene in the film is and all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 26, 2021 3:10 PM

"She had what one might call a chequred life."

If, that is, one didn't know how to speak English.

by Anonymousreply 131July 26, 2021 3:53 PM

Do you think I want a successful spelling career? I refused “chequered” because I was nursing at the time but also because deep down I knew that it was going to be a huge success.

The same was true of “Bob and Carol and Fred and Sue,” or whatever it was. It reeked of success!

[bold]#ThisPostApprovedByTuesdayWeld

by Anonymousreply 132July 26, 2021 6:18 PM

Yvette was good in Diamond Head and Death Takes A Holiday, playing free spirits who take risks. I never realized she was half-Mexican, but that explains the dark eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 27, 2021 5:01 AM

R133 A supporting cast including Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas, as well as Amy Irving‘s mother Priscilla Pointer, and Columbia pictures B-hunk Kerwin Matthews —gay in real life, with Maureen Reagan—the OTHER actress daughter of Ronald Reagan (mother = Jane Wyman (as well as Monte Markham, Blanche’s gay brother Clayton from The Golden Girls) and generic ‘70 fixture Bert Convy.

by Anonymousreply 134July 27, 2021 11:49 AM

[Quote] A supporting cast including Myrna Loy and Melvyn Douglas, as well as Amy Irving‘s mother Priscilla Pointer, and Columbia pictures B-hunk Kerwin Matthews —gay in real life, with Maureen Reagan—the OTHER actress daughter of Ronald Reagan (mother = Jane Wyman (as well as Monte Markham, Blanche’s gay brother Clayton from The Golden Girls)

Congratulations. You have reached the apex of Gay.

by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2021 12:12 PM

Of the four “Where the Boys Are” leads, Prentiss is my favorite — a quirky, one-of-kind delight. She was also a treat in “The World of Henry Orient”, where she brings so much more to the role than what was likely on the page.

In the “Where the Boys Are” DVD commentary (I know, Mary!) Prentiss states that she has remained in touch with Hart over the years and also visited her at the convent with her daughter.

Another visitor to the convent has been Mariette Hartley, who was originally cast in the role Lois Nettleton played in “Come Fly with Me”. A health insurance issue resulted in Hartley being replaced in the film just prior to filming, but she and Hart have remained good friends.

And I LOVE Tuesday Weld — a terrific actress!

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2021 2:01 PM

I didn't realize that nuns were permitted to have so many visitors -- Mother Hart seems to have quite an active social life!

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2021 2:05 PM

Hart has used her movie/stage connections to fund improvements at the cloister. She has been running the place for quite a while. Even though it's a cloister, they see people from the community---Hart made repeated visits before she decided that this was her vocation. She was referred by a castmate on Broadway, so there is probably a long standing connection to show business.

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2021 2:09 PM

Did Prentiss make any comments about Connie Francis, R136?

by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2021 2:12 PM

Hart consented to an interview for Tab Hunter Confidential.

by Anonymousreply 140July 27, 2021 2:13 PM

Hart initially went to the Abby on retreat while she was starring on broadway. She was also engaged at the time. Can you imagine giving all of that up for religious life?

by Anonymousreply 141July 27, 2021 2:35 PM

If memory serves, R139, Prentiss spoke warmly of all her costars on the DVD a commentary, mostly Hart. I don’t remember specifically what she said about Francis (who also either has her own commentary track or is on that same track as Prentiss but recorded separately — can’t remember which.)

by Anonymousreply 142July 27, 2021 2:45 PM

It depends what her life was actually like. Wasn't she getting fucked by a string of producers and directors?

by Anonymousreply 143July 27, 2021 2:46 PM

Thank you, R134. The film was called "an elegant remake" of the old 30s film. I like being at the apex of gay, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 144July 27, 2021 3:55 PM

[Quote] I like being at the apex of gay, don't you?

I hope to reach it one day.

by Anonymousreply 145July 27, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]I didn't realize that nuns were permitted to have so many visitors -- Mother Hart seems to have quite an active social life!

Honey, they are Nuns, not convicts.

by Anonymousreply 146July 27, 2021 4:34 PM

Did Dolores Hart make a film with Tab Hunter or "date" him?

by Anonymousreply 147July 27, 2021 4:39 PM

Here are some outtakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 27, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote]I have always confused Connie Francis with Connie Stevens.

I confuse her with Connie Franklin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 27, 2021 5:03 PM

One Broadway credit, but she did it for 13 months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 27, 2021 5:08 PM

Dolores looked like a pretty Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 151July 27, 2021 5:13 PM

Mother Hart must have been a real dyed-in-the-wool whore if she had to repent to that extent!

by Anonymousreply 152July 27, 2021 5:26 PM

Interesting clip, R148, but how is that part of "Tab Hunter Confidential"? She doesn't mention him once in it. Is it out of context?

by Anonymousreply 153July 27, 2021 6:57 PM

It's footage not included in the documentary, hence "outtake."

by Anonymousreply 154July 27, 2021 6:59 PM

But when she speaks of Tab, if she does, does she speak kindly?

by Anonymousreply 155July 27, 2021 7:24 PM

No one shit talks Hunter in the documentary. It was made with his assistance. I think his husband might even have been a co-producer.

by Anonymousreply 156July 27, 2021 7:26 PM

R149 Ha! I liked "Losing my hearing, I'm blind in one eye"

by Anonymousreply 157July 27, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]But when she speaks of Tab, if she does, does she speak kindly?

She doesn't call him a cocksucking motherfucker, if that's what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 158July 27, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] She's a republican who attended a Trump event or fundraiser

Why do you make up lies, R51? In this 2011 interview, Connie Francis states very clearly "I’m a die-hard liberal" and goes on to criticize the Republicans. She has also stated in other interviews she voted for Obama. She's also supportive of gays. Is that why you make up lies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 29, 2021 4:52 AM

The porn version was called Where The Boys Aren't.

by Anonymousreply 160July 29, 2021 6:01 AM

And then there were three.

by Anonymousreply 161January 18, 2022 11:59 PM

R159 amen to that! I read her biography too & don’t see that person as a die-hard Republican. She’s not a female Pat Boone!

by Anonymousreply 162January 19, 2022 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!