Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Summer Olympics Memories

Foremost on my summer Olympics watching memories list would be Alexander Popov, the Russian swimmer who won gold medals in 1992 and 1996 games. Talk about a hot piece of man meat giving a young teenage gayling the feels.

What are some of your favorite Summer Olympics memories? Either watching on tv or in person for those of you lucky enough to attend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 2:54 AM

My favorite memories is attending the 1996 games in Atlanta. That is something I'll never forget.

Watching on tv, though, the moment I remember most was not a sporting moment but when Her Majesty The Queen became a Bond Girl, during the opening of the 2012 London games.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 12:17 AM

He was a major crush

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 12:21 AM

R1 you’re lucky you got to watch the ‘96 games in person.

I love watching gymnastics especially during the Olympics. But gymnastics today is no longer artistic gymnastics (its official moniker) but more like acrobatic gymnastics. No regard for body lines and toes not pointed, just tumbling and acrobatics. At least men’s events are still watchable.

One of my favorite women’s gymnastics routines, Lilia Podkopayeva’s floor routine in the event finals in Atlanta, 1996. I’d rather watch her style of gymnastics than most of the current crop. Toes pointed, superb upper body carriage, and musicality to go with great athleticism of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 12:28 AM

I enjoyed that too, R1.

Imagine my surprise when Harry told me that was his grandmother on our first date!

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 12:30 AM

Munich 1972. TV networks broadcast live the SWAT and Special Forces teams scaling the building in which Israeli Olympians and coaches were being held hostage. The Palestinian terrorists were watching TV and knew every move of the would-be rescuers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 12:41 AM

Alexandre Despatie, and that massive meat of his, left a lasting impression from the London Olympics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2021 1:00 AM

Mark Spitz winning 7 gold medals in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2021 1:24 AM

It was chilling to watch it play out R5

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2021 2:19 AM

Watching Miss Carl Lewis win all those medals

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 2:21 AM

OP/Boris loves to profile Russians. What coincidence he chose one as a go to from the 1996 Olympics. So stealth.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 2:30 AM

Dan Jansen's ass - what a beauty! Also when they showed speed-skater Eric Flaim walking into town in very tight jeans, heavens to Betsy!

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 2:41 AM

Oh, sorry, I guess speed-skating isn't in the Summer Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 2:42 AM

Jessie Owens giving Hitler and his master race the big black middle finger.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 2:44 AM

The first one I remember watching was when Nadia Cominici scored the first perfect 10.

The 1984 LA games were on the summer I graduated from high school and had to have emergency surgery. Whatever network aired them replayed it in the middle of the night. I had trouble sleeping so would watch it whenever I was awake, day and night.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 2:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!