Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Young Rascals were really successful for a few short years circa '66-68 in the USA...and then flopped

But they seem to be major favorites on the oldies stations to this day.

Never had much international success & none of them seem have household names individually.

Do you have any fave songs or thoughts about them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2021 1:49 PM

Main songwriter John Sebastian had a #1 solo hit in 1976 with "Welcome Back", the theme from the TV show Welcome Back Kotter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 7:01 PM

No, John Sebastian was The Lovin' Spoonful.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 7:19 PM

How Can I Be Sure is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 7:23 PM

My favorite member was Alfalfa...he was such a great singer, he could really belt out a tune!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 7:26 PM

They were a LI band and had booked appearances all around the island when suddenly they were on one of those 60s music TV shows and their song took off and became an instant hit. They got famous, but they still had to honor their pre-fame contracts. So they appeared at the local high school and it was a really big deal for the students. Tickets were impossible to get. It was the biggest thing since Troy Donahue appeared at the local movie theater and threw his snot rag into the audience of screaming girls.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 7:52 PM

PS - This is the house where Troy Donahue grew up, not very far from the local movie theater. Not too shabby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 7:59 PM

Loved the Young Rascals. Sueno's my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 8:26 PM

They have been inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame so they did well in the 5 years or so that they were together. Their biggest was People Got To Be Free from 1968. #1 for 5 weeks and a gold record!

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 9:06 PM

They changed their name to The Rascals in 1968. They were one of the few white acts that was played on "black" radio.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 9:06 PM

A good number of popular songs. Some were covers of songs written by black artists. They were what was called “blue eyes soul” in the mid 60s, along with Righteous Brothers, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, The Animals, the Box Tops

Ive Been Lonely Too Long

Groovin

People Got to Be Free

Good Lovin

It’s a Beautiful Morning

How Can I Be Sure

Mustang Sally

In the Midnight Hour

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 9:34 PM

Sorry for typo - blue eyeD soul

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 9:35 PM

Can OP please just fast forward to his agenda?

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 9:41 PM

It’s a White Belt Man nostalgia thread. I’m pretty sure WBM is also bootsy gumdrop. WBM posted tons of nostalgia threads & list threads (Tell us what you miss most about the 60s! Tell us your favorite 70s foods! I’ll start: filled Bundt cakes!) there were people who were fond of WBM the same way they are fond of entertainment directors on a cruise ship. Then one day WBM forgot to sign out and posted a bunch of jaw droppingly racist threads. The board had just started getting filled up with racist, antisemitic threads back then and we were all perplexed at why this was so. Now we knew. The buddy, believed, c’mon kids let’s have some fun! WBM was the racist and not only….it was answering itself claiming to be a black man.

It was quite a shock. The WBM moniker disappeared, but WBM hasn’t. I’ve seen boots gumdrop answering itself in threads when it forgot to sign out. I don’t think WBM is male, though it claimed it was.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 2:15 PM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 2:49 PM

Lorna Luft was staying with a friend one evening and they went to a concert by The Young Rascals. When they got back to the friend's house, the mother sat Lorna down and told her that someone had called to tell her that her mother was dead......

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 3:13 PM

Love Groovin’. But holy shit, I scrolled down to The Beach Boys video for Don’t Worry Baby. WTF is that? Those outfits/costumes are ridiculous and they have absolutely no stage presence. Not sure I have ever “seen” them perform, but the music was ubiquitous when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 3:32 PM

I liked 'Daydream'.....people didn't realize he was talking about acid.......as in ......Sunshine Daydream....as in 'Sugar Magnolia' by The Dead.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 3:54 PM

R10 most of their hit songs were written by band members Felix Cavaliere and Eddie Brigati,

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 4:20 PM

I first read this as being about The Little Rascals. Appreciated the Alfalfa shout-out.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 4:33 PM

I keep getting them confused with the Buckinghams.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 7:45 PM

I would play (and still have) the 45 of "People Got to Be Free" over and over and.....!

I loved every song in r10. LOVED.

The Young Rascals will always be part of my college soundtrack.

Felix still tours!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2021 8:10 PM

Yup R21 they had a great sound that fit perfectly with the times......

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2021 10:33 PM

R22, Yes!

Also, the Rascals included the organ. It was a sad day in Pop music when that instrument was dropped.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2021 11:29 AM

Meant to link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2021 11:30 AM

What's better than roses on your piano?

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2021 1:46 PM

Tulips on your organ. HAHAHAHAH!

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2021 1:47 PM

Tulips on.....

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2021 1:48 PM

You owe me a coke.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2021 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!