Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which brand of trash bag do upper class people use?

True old money types use Glad, which is an established solid brand.

Especially compared to Hefty, with its flashy packaging that just seems to scream out "new money"

The poors just use some store brand or whatever is on sale--that's how you can always tell--they may have the fanciest kitchen and beautiful china and crystal, but when you're done eating, if that food goes straight into some store-brand bag--- you know they are TRASH!!!

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2021 1:43 AM

I had a friend whose family has had money for generations. They are very upper class and only do upper class things. They use a brand called "Simple Human" which is only sold at boutiques and so most people don't know about it.

I only use Simple Human bags in my house now too because Mother did not raise me to be trash about my trash.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 6:13 PM

It's late in the work day for me: Is R1 a subtle parodist, or a fucking idiot?

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 6:18 PM

Who gives a RAT'S ASS?

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 6:19 PM

I highly doubt that the upper class has any idea what kind of trash bags the housekeepers use

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 6:20 PM

The best people use buckets and pronounce them boo-kays!

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 6:22 PM

I thought those commercials in the 1990’s ? For Hefty bags were 🤩.

Hefty Hefty Hefty- Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 6:28 PM

When I was a gayling back in 1934, we would go to my aunt and uncle's house--my uncle was an industrialist and owned a factory in town and they lived in a big house on a hill overlooking our city. The factory had been in my uncle's family for almost 100 years at that point and their widgets were sold all over the globe.

Rather than use trash bags, Aunt Matilda would have the servants bring the plates out to the garden, where Angus, their Scots gardener, would use the table scraps as fertilizer.

I believe this is common among the upper classes and allows them to avoid having actual trash in their homes.

Plastic garbage bags, mother used to day, are for arrivistes and trash.!!!

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 6:29 PM

My point exactly R6

High class people would not buy trash bags with slapstick comedy commercials.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 6:30 PM

Simple Human trash bags brought to you by Walmart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 6:32 PM

I use 3 mil construction bags. Never spring a leak and holds everything!

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 6:34 PM

they didn't have trash bags in 1934. Plastic bags weren't invented until the 1950. We didn't use plastic trash bags until the late 60's.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 6:34 PM

R10- I use strong leaf bags for my kitchen garbage bags- the one they sell at Costco are really good.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 6:35 PM

What color is upper class poop? What is the upper class’s favorite sexual position? What is the upper class’s favorite color? Why does anyone but a poser really care?

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 8:23 PM

Brabantia.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 8:25 PM

I’d put my trash in you, OP but you seem like the 99 cent only store type

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 8:45 PM

R11 is right. Growing up, my mother used paper grocery sacks to line the trash cans, with newspaper at the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2021 11:34 PM

Even though it says "parody thread" at OP....

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 12:33 AM
by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2021 10:43 AM

Due to the bad influences suffered on this very gay website, I exclusively discard my waste into Boulder brand trash bags.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2021 11:07 AM

R7 - you must be ANCIENT. 1934? There is someone on DL who remembers 1934?

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2021 11:44 AM

Also R7, that was back then. I remember when my partner was alive in the mid 1990's how he would insist that plastic bags be used for trash. He was from an old family that had come from Spain to Mexico in the 1700's. They certainly weren't trash and he was a world-renowned OBGYN. By then, recycling them had become something you would see more educated people do in France and the Scandinavian countries. They even had a mount in which people could store and re-use them at IKEA so as to spread the message to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2021 11:49 AM

In 1892, my grandmother was born into a family that survived by subsistence farming in Northern Indiana. As far from the upper class as one could be at that time.

I grew up helping her bury the day's organic waste in her vegetable garden. No servants required, R7. No gardener needed.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2021 11:56 AM

Don't use them other than in the bathrooms and the small bin in the bedroom I keep in a bedside cabinet. Those all take small liners and I buy anything I can find that fits and I certainly don't pay much for them. I had a trash compactor installed in the kitchen years ago and it takes paper liners. Only have to empty it once every week to 2 weeks. One of the best household purchase I ever made.

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2021 11:56 AM

In River Oaks, darling, we only put our trash out in Jamail's bags.

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2021 11:59 AM

R7 was also meant as satire

The problem with Datalounge is that so many actual posts sound like satire, it's hard to spot the ones that intentionally are.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2021 1:56 PM

Trash can liners are low-class. So are paper towels. The line is drawn with tp which is perfectly acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2021 2:02 PM

Maybe for Americans R26

Here in Europe we use bidets.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2021 2:11 PM

Mink or sable trash bags

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2021 2:15 PM

I find the Glad drawstring bags so recherché.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2021 2:22 PM

True old money still uses galvanized steel trash cans, and they themselves (gasp!) never touch them.

Plastic bags? Oh, the plebeian horror.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2021 2:22 PM

Galvanized steel? Pfffft. Dead common.

We of the true elite have enameled steel receptacles which, after use, are scrubbed and sanitized by our servants.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2021 2:25 PM

In the UK almost everything is recycled we currently have 5 recycling bins. Every house has a full set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2021 2:40 PM

I have mine hand-made by blind nuns in Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2021 2:44 PM

Kirkland, the one that's 3 mils thick.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2021 2:47 PM

There's some kind of Austrian-certified biodegradable plastic. They're green-colored. TUV is the Austrian company.

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2021 2:48 PM

R35 We get given those bags for free in the UK, never put anything wet in them they disintegrate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2021 2:56 PM

If it's someone with money they buy the cheapest kind bc it's not like they have to touch it.

If it's a working plebe like me who has to toss his own trash into the bin then I use the unscented stretchy bags that are supposed to withstand anything. They're made by Glad or Hefty.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2021 2:59 PM

All of my trash is sent back on the Mayflower

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2021 3:08 PM

R36, thing is, well, the one very rich family I know who uses them is actually quite wasteful, in that they're emptied every day even if they're not filled much. I actually asked my friend, the youngest son, about this. I don't know: on the one hand, they're increasing demand for biodegradable plastic, but on the other I mean they're using more of it needlessly.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2021 3:09 PM

Wimpy! Wimpy wimpy!!!

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2021 3:12 PM

R39 If you are using biodegradable plastic bags for food waste you pretty much have to empty the every day, as soon as they become even slightly damp they begin to fall apart very quickly.

If you take the environmental cost of manufacturing them into account, they aren't any better than a normal bag that you could use for a few days, paper would probably be a better option.

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2021 3:56 PM

Paper bags release methane when they decompose in a landfill. Not good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 27, 2021 5:00 PM

Many American cities have stopped doing recycling and more and more are going that way. They've found the cost vs the benefit is way out of line.

by Anonymousreply 43July 27, 2021 8:32 PM

What is a "trash bag?"

Don't you just put your trash in a trash can that the help cleans daily and returns to its proper location? If it were just a bag, wouldn't it fall over and make a mess?

Is that why the poors always seem to live in filth? You'd think they'd have someone to clean up. The poors and their quirkiness - trash bags. LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 44July 27, 2021 9:12 PM

432- You have to drag 5 cans to the street? Every week? NO FANK YEW!

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2021 2:57 PM

R32- You have to drag 5 cans to the street? Every week? NO FANK YEW!

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2021 2:57 PM

[quote] Don't you just put your trash in a trash can

True upper class people don't throw away their own trash R44

That's what the help is for

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2021 3:24 PM

R46 No not every week they are emptied on a 3 week schedule (if we're lucky). Food/Garden waste is every week and one of the others. We are apparently going to eventually end up with 7 bins by 2023 (some areas already have that many).

Trash sorting is almost a part-time job here in the UK, Wednesday mornings are very noisy though with all of the trucks and bins being wheeled around.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2021 4:36 PM

Real rich people throw their trash on the ground and have their maids pick it up. Remember Versailles didn't have toilets, when the nobility had to go they'd find a nice corner to drop a deuce.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2021 4:41 PM

I have the staff get the cheapo bags at the Target. You don't hold onto a fortune by splurging on trash bags!

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2021 4:46 PM

If your last name is Vanderbilt, you apparently don't hold on to your fortune at all...

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2021 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!