Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Terence Stamp

He admits his career was pretty much done by the late sixties, any reason why?

He replaces Redford in “blue” at the last minute, did that film finish things for him? It seems most actors are given a few chances and he was decent in most of the films I’ve seen him in prior to and after “blue”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 9:39 PM

Are you kidding OP...Terrance Stamp has had a thriving career up to the present day.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 4:50 PM

It wasn’t thriving in the 70s when he admits it’s the reason he dropped out for a while and then came back for “superman” for the chance to work with Brando.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 4:55 PM

He says it here. By the end of the 60s his career was in trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 4:57 PM

Did he have a bad reputation or was simply not considered box office

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 4:57 PM

He probably meant his career as a leading man. He was most likely concerned about aging. That sort of thing didn't concern other 60s "it boys" like Michael Caine or Richard Harris, they just went with it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 5:03 PM

He was heartbreaking in “billy budd” playing the dumb but sweet billy trying to see the good in the evil Robert Ryan even at the cost of his own life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 5:05 PM

But why couldn’t he continue as a leading man? He had put in some good performances during the 60s. I would have thought there would still have been interest in casting him into the 70s. It’s odd he just stopped getting good offers after “Blue”. Although in my opinion two of his best roles came just before dropping out at the hands of the Italian directors Fellini and Pasolini.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 5:07 PM

I know he went to India for a while and was into all that eastern philosophy stuff. I wonder if he was heading for addiction or something sinister and that perhaps necessitated his “need’ for spirituality.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 5:09 PM

He’s a character actor who had leading man looks. Hollywood didn’t know what to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 5:13 PM

He married for the first time at age 64 to a 29-year-old pharmacist. Not surprisingly the marriage didn’t last. The impression one gets from this interview is that he didn’t have cutthroat personality needed for sustaining leading man roles and profile, unlike someone like Michael Caine.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 5:15 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 5:15 PM

I know this will sound stereotypcally gay (what? on a gay board, sounding stereotypically gay? WTF?) but I thought he absolutely killed his role in Priscilla. The 'take your tampon and blow it up' scene plus the way he pushed his hair away, truly captivated me.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 5:17 PM

Enough of these childish threads about why various show business careers didn't achieve eternal success. There is no fucking corporate ladder in show business. Nobody goes to the top and stays there forever. You work from show to show. Or in between you wait tables. Or teach. Or live on your investments, if you've been clever enough to make them.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 5:17 PM

Agreed, r12. Criminal that he wasn't Oscar-nominated for that performance.

Conversely, its absurd that he was nominated in Supporting for Billy Budd -- he was the lead in that film.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 5:18 PM

Is Michael Caine cutthroat? He has that genial, self deprecating vibe.

Stamp is much more compelling than Caine!

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 5:21 PM

He was good in "The Limey" (1999). Sometimes I get him mixed up with Malcolm McDowell, whom I also like.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 5:22 PM

He was also very good in “the hit” in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 5:23 PM

R13, I agree. I don't know why people think it's some sort of mystery why so-and-so didn't make it or why so-and-so didn't last. Maybe like .000001% of actors achieve A list fame and remain A list for decades. There's a thread now asking why Emile Hirsch didn't make it - I mean, is that some sort of mystery? He's short, not mega hot by leading man standards, he had some big flops and he got in trouble for strangling a woman. You don't need Miss Marple to find out why he's not A list

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 5:26 PM

You will kneel before General Zod!

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 5:26 PM

A very interesting actor. He was exceptionally pretty but also had a sinister icy-eyed look to him, so he was best playing pretty-boy villains and anti-heroes--at first he pretty much inherited Laurence Harvey's career. Then when he disappeared, Malcolm McDowell (who was far less attractive) got those kinds of roles instead.

When Stamp returned, he had lost most of his hair and played mostly villains with a slightly kinky side like General Zod.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 5:27 PM

R15 Caine was very hands on and active in furthering his career from early on, and hasn’t let up since. He pretty much admits to this and it’s partly why he never turned down roles, he kept working throughout the years. Sometimes that meant he was cast in shitty movies but other times he’d stumble on a gem or two.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 5:28 PM

He had a very lightweight thin talent...did he ever play a husband or father? ...he was getting on. He was just a pretty boy, never a great actor and he had big problems emotionally which he spoke about in his book so he went off to find himself. When he came back he was a has-been.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 5:29 PM

Seems they are not so friendly these days. They were at one time roommates, stamp and Caine. Wonder what happened, if it was just professional jealousy perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 5:30 PM

Malcolm stole Terence's career. If, A Clockwork Orange, O Lucky Man, Time After Time, Britannia Hospital, all good films starring Malcolm!

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 5:31 PM

Stamp was too old to play McDowell's part in "If," but he could have played the others r24 lists.

It's funny how rough-looking both men became over the years from too much sun and too much substance abuse. They both aged greatly before their time.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2021 5:35 PM

You will bow down before me! First you and then one day your ASS!

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 5:51 PM

[QUOTE]I know this will sound stereotypcally gay (what? on a gay board, sounding stereotypically gay? WTF?) but I thought he absolutely killed his role in Priscilla. The 'take your tampon and blow it up' scene plus the way he pushed his hair away, truly captivated me.

Bernadette would have been the first trans woman people watching Priscilla were introduced to. Stamp could have played her as a victim or a joke, but Bernadette was dignified and ordinary, and her friendship with Bob was lovely.

It really was the performance of the year, far superior to Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 6:05 PM

McDowell and Stamp to me seemed like two completely different types. McDowell was way edgier; they were trying to make Stamp the British Alain Delon.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 6:11 PM

I think Stamp was the British Tab Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 6:13 PM

Stamp was gorgeous in Billy Budd.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 8:38 PM

He was also rather good looking and put in a good performance as a belligerent pupil in “term of the trial”

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 8:34 AM

He was pretty good and quite sexy in Theorem in which he played a [bold]BISEXUAL[/bold] who seduces most of a wealthy Milan family.

Lots of close ups of him rubbing crotch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2021 9:25 AM

He was in a movie called The Collector which got great reviews but I never saw it. Wonder if it's available anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2021 9:37 PM

The Collector has been on TCM. Also on DVD. It's a disturbing movie.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!