Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who win money/vacations on game shows..

Are their lives really better than before or do they end up more dissatisfied like lottery winners?

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 5:13 PM

When I was a kid, my friend's father went on "Let's Make A Deal" with Monty Hall and Carol Merrill. He won the "Big Deal of the Day" and instead of the prizes, received a check for $8,500. That was a pretty hefty sum for the early 1970s. The family was very happy; my friend even showed me a mimeographed copy of the check. So in their case, at least, it worked out great for them.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 4:16 PM

A friend of mine is a producer for Warner Bros TV. He says that a lot of those winners can’t even claim their stuff because you have to cover the related taxes before claiming it and getting it shipped to you. A lot don’t have the $$ to cover the upfront tax bill on the washer dryer/RV/kitchen set etc.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 4:22 PM

I knew someone who won money on a game show. They were an insufferable cunt before and pretty much the same after, just, you know, $5K richer.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 4:36 PM

I won some money on Jeopardy but it wasn't really enough to change my life. I took a nice vacation with it and that was it

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 4:39 PM

I paid for grad school and bought a new car off of my game show winnings. It made me very happy.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 4:48 PM

R2 - I think that's why they're doing cash supplemental prizes.

Aren't material prizes taxable like income? I don't know for sure about this. It would suck to win a $10k vacation and then have to pay $3k in order to take it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 4:52 PM

Yes, R6, the material prizes are taxed as ordinary income. The presumed value is the manufacturer’s suggested retail price. However the taxpayer can obtain appraisals and other evidence to establish a different taxable value.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 5:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!