Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anybody use ROAD MAPS?

Why would anybody use road maps, anymore? I use google instead of my old GPS. However, I have ended up in a strange address every once in a awhile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 5:28 PM

Sometimes you’re in an area with spotty (or zero) reception. And some people like to look at maps?

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 2:20 PM

This millennial uses them occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 2:25 PM

Google maps sucks. I just want to know the cross streets when I look up an address, not being given instructions of which way to walk to get to my destination. It's just another method of robotic control that keeps people glued to their phones and not paying attention to what is in front of them.

I loved road maps and atlases as a kid. I'd love to have framed state maps on my wall. When I was a kid, I always collected them from the different gas stations, although a few did charge for them. I remember the map bins where I would collect these from. They always indicated the year that a map was published so you'd always know how accurate they were.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 2:27 PM

I find it easier to look at a map, cause it's a larger area. Google directions are awful. They seem to always direct me at a correct route but one that is significantly longer.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 2:30 PM

It’s good if your going cross country but young people never use them

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 2:39 PM

[quote] young people never use them

I personally believe that U.S. Americans never use them because some people out there in our nation don't have maps.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 2:48 PM

I haven't had maps in over a decade...I use my phone or the car system. I was going to a kids birthday party in the Oakland Hills a few years ago, and because of the winding roads, spotty coverage and the number of tall trees, the navigation boy finally just said "I'm out of here" and left me to my own devices. I found the address, after much swearing, but it did illustrate the mess we'd all be in if the government decided to shut down GPS for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 2:55 PM

Maps are better for the larger picture or if you want to orient form one spot to another not right next to it. I suppose you can do it on Google also, but it is hard on my little iPhone screen and the details get lost as you zoom in and out.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 2:58 PM

I typically look at a map first. Then, using gps I’ve an idea of where it’s taking me, and I know options without depending on the gps voice of vacuousness.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 3:45 PM

i keep a current one in my trunk on top of the spare tire in case the gps goes out............

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 3:53 PM

Such a bullshit story. "A few Boomers and quirky hipsters love their paper maps!"

You can save maps on your phone in Google Maps, for offline/no reception use.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 4:01 PM

This is Datalounge OP, where the rise of the Horseless Carriage is still treated with suspicion.

I doubt many posters use Google Maps or similar, let alone know of their existence.

[italic] SUGGESTED DL THREAD TOPIC:

[bold] Using GPS Apps Is Low Class

[/bold] Relying on an app is just trashy and scream "New Money". You can tell someone is Old Money or High Society by the type of maps they use. Which are your favorites? Personally, I prefer the old Rand McNally road maps, as they have a very high linen count to the paper.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote]It’s good if your going cross country

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 4:21 PM

I rarely use them for actual navigation, but they're fun to look at. I've collected some old ones from the '30s through the '60s -- it's interesting to look at how much things have changed. Cities grew out of nowhere, highways were built or decommissioned, names of places were changed, etc. But then I've always been a map/geography nerd.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 4:22 PM

I used to keep those red county road maps books in my car all the time, but I haven't seen anyone use a paper maps in years.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 4:28 PM

I have a 50 state road and highway atlas that I love to study as I plan long road trips.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 4:39 PM

So judgy. Who cares if other people like to use maps?

Why learn how to sew a button when you can just buy a new shirt? Why learn how to cook when you can order Seamless? Why work when your parents have a basement?

I hope a big asteroid comes and wipes out civilization.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 5:23 PM

My dad does. I’m constantly trying to explain he has a map app on his iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 5:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!