Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why am I invisible?

I often walk down streets of gay ghettos and no one looks.

I’ll meet people three of four times and each time, I have to remind them that we’ve met before.

It’s been like this much of my life.

I don’t understand why I’m so unmemorable.

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2022 2:15 AM

[quote]I’ll meet people three of four times and each time, I have to remind them that we’ve met before.

Oh, girl. That's normal.

Sometimes I even do it on purpose.

Try walking up to someone who annoyed you three years ago, knowing full well who they are and say, "Hello, nice to meet you."

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 3:59 AM

I don't know about "gay ghettos," but I feel invisible a lot, too. I try to look at the positive side of it. It does allow you a lot of freedom and privacy.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 4:08 AM

It's a thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 4:10 AM

OP, on the up side, this is proof that you are not grotesque looking.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 4:13 AM

Is this you, OP?

Yesterday, upon the stair,

I met a man who wasn't there!

He wasn't there again today,

Oh how I wish he'd go away!

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 4:16 AM

Better than a hot guy calling you 'Sir.'

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 4:23 AM

^^ Oh man, I hate that. ^^

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 4:26 AM

You just need a black curly wig, OP

It worked for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 4:38 AM

They do notice you, OP, but it's polite to wait until someone's out of earshot before laughing at them.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 5:50 AM

My question - what do you expect to happen? Guys don't stare down other guys - maybe in a cruising area - but not on a street.

IF ONLY men were that forthcoming in if they had interest in you.

Are you staring at everyone expecting a facial reply of YES! That ain't gonna happen either. Staring at people in a big city is a warning sign, so people would naturally avoid you.

It sounds like you're pretty naive about these things.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 5:57 AM

Being average can be hard, if you’re sensitive

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 11:05 AM

[quote] I often walk down streets of gay ghettos and no one looks.

Boris is trolling again.

Troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 11:31 AM

Some people possess a natural inner light that glows from within them and attracts others. You do not have this light. You’re not special. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a profound effect on others, if you choose to. You could be a fundraiser for a charity, sit with elderly at a home, pick up trash at the beach, or hook up with an ultra eldergay (over 70.) It’s all up to you!

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 11:51 AM

[quote] Why am I invisible?

If you can't see your reflection in the mirror, it means you're a witch. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 11:54 AM

I’m ugly and have been invisible all my life. Sometimes it’s fun to see how much I can get away with it. I’ve stolen drinks at bars etc and no one even notices.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 12:31 PM

Gay ghettos? Okay, James Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 12:39 PM

Spoiler alert, not everyone is hot. Accept you aren't hot and move on with your life. Or become a gym addict and get muscled if you actually want to do something about it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 12:44 PM

I often walk down the streets of GAY GHETTOS- OP , this is NOT 1977.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 12:47 PM

There are still places with a high concentration of gay guys r18. Walk through 9th Avenue in hells kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 12:48 PM

It's ok, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 1:47 PM

I am invisible. When I walk with relatively hot friends, guys turn at look at them.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Most people are invisible r21. Some people are attractive enough that they do turn heads, most of us do not. Not everyone is gonna have pretty privilege.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 8:21 PM

Wear a strap-on outside of your Daisy Dukes and you will be less invisible.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 8:28 PM

Neg and make fun of hot dumb popular people, especially about their intelligence. It’s fun watching them glitch.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 8:54 PM

The attractive people need to check their privilege. They get everything handed to them. Ugly lives matter. Let’s start a movement.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2021 12:23 PM

[quote] Why am I invisible? I often walk down streets of gay ghettos and no one looks. I’ll meet people three of four times and each time, I have to remind them that we’ve met before. It’s been like this much of my life.

Ah, could it be that you are in the wrong ghetto?

I don’t understand why I’m so unmemorable.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2021 12:43 PM

R19 that’s a tough crowd.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2021 12:50 PM

OP do you expect them to come running down the street screaming like you’re one of the Beatles?

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2021 12:53 PM

R6, I LOVE young hot guys calling me “Sir.”

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2021 1:03 PM

……….

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2021 1:04 PM

On the spectrum dear?

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 1:06 PM

[quote] I often walk down streets of gay ghettos and no one looks

because you are fat

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2021 1:12 PM

OP, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. You expect to be invisible and people react to you that way. Or should I say don't react to you.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2021 1:22 PM

Consider it a blessing.

Sure, ‘the grass is always greener’ - but being invisible has its advantages.

Individuals that have ‘that light from within’, as mentioned above, are attractive for whatever reason or simply stand out are not only attractive to desirable people.

They are attractive to grifters, users, sociopaths, needy, entitled, shallow, vengeful, resentful people as well.

Enjoy life under the radar.

And open your eyes to the types that ‘the attractive ones’ are attracting.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 1:24 PM

R32, I find that fat people actually aren't invisible. People keep staring at them

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2021 1:27 PM

I hate R8.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2021 1:29 PM

I embrace my invisibility, do you really want everyone noticing you OP, because you wouldn't get just the people you wanted noticing you, you would get all the crazies and attention from all sorts of people you really would prefer not to deal with. It is much easier to bring attention to yourself by the people you chose, than to get rid of the crazies you don't want bothering you.If

I could wish for a super power I would wish to make myself completely invisible at times.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2021 9:06 PM

OP, do you work at Urban Outfitters and dress like a pirate yoga instructor?

I didn't notice your face, but I did see you swivel your hips like an old lady crackhead.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2021 9:21 PM

Oh, honey! This is the last question to ask on DL.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2021 9:44 PM

I’m pretty lucky in that I have a nice face but a really memorable name. Ben.

“Handsome Ben packing ten” as they say in my circle.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2021 9:49 PM

I feel your pain. But my situation is worse. Try being the hot, sought after, popular one from age 19 to 38, THEN having your looks quickly fade away. The calling card (your looks) you depended on, and used almost daily, is now gone. I’m almost completely invisible now, except to drunk strangers in a low-lit bar. Be thankful you were never handsome or attractive so you don’t have to feel the pain of knowing what you lost, like I do every single day.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2021 12:08 AM

Try looking like a teenager until age 35 and see what kind of freaks call you out on the street.

They're all hands with multiple chins.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote] “Handsome Ben packing ten” as they say in my circle.

No, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2021 1:40 AM

Op, you sound needy and exhausting. Sorry you’re unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote] Not everyone is gonna have pretty privilege.

As someone afflicted with pretty privilege let me tell you it’s not easy.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2021 2:15 AM

Pardon the digression, but R5's poem made me laugh, remembering that I saw it years ago with the last line replaced as: "I think he's from the CIA."

ARE you from the CIA, OP? If not, perhaps you should go and tell them your impressive credentials.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2021 2:22 AM

OP I am invisible too and also unmemorable. I've had fuckbuddies not recognize me. FML.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2021 8:01 AM

R47, crap, that's me too.

In fact, I had one not even remember me about 3 hours later! I literally had to remind him who I was when I saw him out after our hookup.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2021 2:36 PM

I have this weird ability to remember faces forever. I used to say hi to people, thinking they remembered me too, but after all those confused looks, I wait until they show that they might recognize me

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2021 2:37 PM

Go Ask Alison...

When I was younger I used to get Alison Moyet and Helen Terry (Culture Club's backup singer) mixed up.

Helen was pissed at Boy George because he outed her as a big ole Dyke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2021 5:16 PM

*Bump* Are you still alive OP? So many of these threads just disappear over the years and we didn’t hear how (or if) the OP died.

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2021 5:07 PM

OP, if you believe that any attention is good attention, then I suggest you cultivate an outlandish appearance to be memorable. Wear crazy outfits, dye your hair in unnatural colors, put on clownish makeup, be flamboyant with every gesture, etc. You'll be remembered. Not necessarily admired, but certainly remembered.

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2021 5:58 PM

Start letting huge farts. They’ll remember you.

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2021 6:16 PM

People who complain about being invisible are complaining about being invisible to HOT guys that are out of their league not guys that are average looking and do notice them.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2022 6:33 PM

I knew a gay guy who lived in West Hollywood and he lamented to me the woes of living in that gay ghetto and being totally invisible. He was balding, had janky teeth and a "dad bod". He was a West Hollywood 2/10.

I told him to move to West Virginia! The fact that he hadn't been to prison, nor lost all his teeth to Meth would make him a West Virginia 8/10!

He moved to West Virginia and became the Belle of the Ball-- and curiously, slimmed down-- in prison-- but lost all his teeth-- to Meth.

Now he's a West Virginia 7/10!

Mmmyeah.

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2022 2:09 AM

I was in a Kmart January 2020 and this woman who worked there asked me what high school I went to - I think she was flirting. In February 2020 I was at my health food store standing at the food counter waiting for my order and this slim good looking guy about 34 years old gave me a glance- nothing to go on but then he stared at me again- definitely checking me out- that made my day.

I was 54 years old but since I've started wearing a mask whenever I go there or Trader Joe's , Whole Foods etc I seemed to have become invisible. I can't expect much anyway at my age.

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2022 2:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!